PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Virginia (Jan 31, 2015)

JBDuke
01-31-2015, 08:58 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 69-63 win over UVA tonight?

FerryFor50
01-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Oh man. This one is tough between Tyus and Quinn...

And Justise was in the conversation before the boneheaded flagrant.

I picked Tyus just for that dagger 3, but Quinn was just as deserving.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-31-2015, 09:03 PM

Yea I voted for Quinn just to try to make it a tie between the two!!!

I think Grayson deserves some credit for some good minutes that didnt hurt us at all.

Karl Beem
01-31-2015, 09:04 PM

Yes. However, the main difference was OaK changing from awful to OK.

FerryFor50
01-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Yea I voted for Quinn just to try to make it a tie between the two!!!

I think Grayson deserves some credit for some good minutes that didnt hurt us at all.

Uh, he didn't do much of anything.

- near turnover
- missed a 3
- decent defense, but 2 fouls in limited minutes

This was not a Grayson Allen game. He'll be better against a team like ND.

wavedukefan70s
01-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Very tough one to decide.

CDu
01-31-2015, 09:11 PM
Can I vote for Tyus Cook or Quinn Jones? No? Darn. Okay, I'll vote for Tyus Jones.

DU82
01-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Tyus gets the chicken (Holly Farms variety) for the stone cold three, and the unbelievable pass to Winslow under the basket, among other things. Cook and (earlier) Winslow should get a piece of the bird, too.

FerryFor50
01-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Tyus gets the chicken (Holly Farms variety) for the stone cold three, and the unbelievable pass to Winslow under the basket, among other things. Cook and (earlier) Winslow should get a piece of the bird, too.

OMFG forgot about that Jones pass. Best pass I've seen from a Duke player since the alley oop from Hurley to Hill.

Duvall
01-31-2015, 09:14 PM

My God, that pass. What *was* that?

CDu
01-31-2015, 09:14 PM
If it weren't for Winslow's attempt at the figure 4 on Justin Anderson, I might have voted for Winslow. But that was unacceptable behavior.

Thankfully, UVa only got 2 points out of it, and even more thankfully our guards started hitting those open 3s.

This game was gonna come down to whether or not we could hit enough open 3s. For a while, it didn't look like we would hit any. Then, we decided to stop missing any.

weezie
01-31-2015, 09:15 PM
Holy smokes! Justise was integral! Give that man the game ball. One tough Playa!

Whatevs I think he was protecting himself. But I'm not looking for a fight.

DukeDiva
01-31-2015, 09:16 PM
I was torn between Tyus and Quinn, decided to go with Quinn after a coin flip. Nice problem to have tonight though!

arnie
Very tough one to decide.
Impossible to decide - Winslow appears to be back, Cook our leader, but I voted for TJ. Last shot just stupid good.

FerryFor50
If it weren't for Winslow's attempt at the figure 4 on Justin Anderson, I might have voted for Winslow. But that was unacceptable behavior.

Thankfully, UVa only got 2 points out of it, and even more thankfully our guards started hitting those open 3s.

This game was gonna come down to whether or not we could hit enough open 3s. For a while, it didn't look like we would hit any. Then, we decided to stop missing any.

The key to this season will be if Duke can hit open threes, because then it will force teams to decide whether to guard the 3 or double Jah. They can't do both effectively.

CDu
01-31-2015, 09:17 PM
The key to this season will be if Duke can hit open threes, because then it will force teams to decide whether to guard the 3 or double Jah. They can't do both effectively.

Yup. When we are shooting well, we are VERY hard to beat. As tonight showed against one of the absolute best defenses in the country on their home floor!

Dukehky
01-31-2015, 09:18 PM

I agreed with the call, but I don't agree with your assessment of Justise's play there. Re-watch it and you'll see Anderson inadvertently come very close to stomping on Winslow's nuts. He tried to protect himself then held on. Not a dirty play, not bad behavior. Stupid, yeah, but he carried us until we were able to start making shots.

This game goes to Winslow

Duke3517
01-31-2015, 09:19 PM
Holy smokes! Justise was integral! Give that man the game ball. One tough Playa!

Tyus Jones clearly gets it but don't forget about Okafor. His defense and hard fought rebounds down the stretch was remarkable. UVA had no easy shot in the last 5 minutes.

FerryFor50
01-31-2015, 09:20 PM
I agreed with the call, but I don't agree with your assessment of Justise's play there. Re-watch it and you'll see Anderson inadvertently come very close to stomping on Winslow's nuts. He tried to protect himself then held on. Not a dirty play, not bad behavior. Stupid, yeah, but he carried us until we were able to start making shots.

Eh it was borderline dirty regardless of intent.

I understand protecting the jewels, but he bear hugged his leg. I think it was more about frustration boiling over from not getting the call on the drive (which I thought he deserved to get, too).

DukieInBrasil
01-31-2015, 09:22 PM
Without Justise in the first half we would have been losing bad at the half. He had some fine athletic plays, and led the team in rebounds.
I do believe he got his groove back.

weezie
01-31-2015, 09:26 PM

Yes yes yes, Winslow was protecting his own basket pardon my French. At least that was our view from the couch...

jv001
01-31-2015, 09:38 PM
I voted for Tyus but Quinn could have easily gotten my vote. Tyus stats: 17 pts, 5/10 fga, 5/6 FT, 4 rebs, 4 assists and 1 turnover. A great line against a very good team. GoDuke!

CDu
01-31-2015, 09:41 PM

First of all, I don't care if he was protecting "the boys". That is not an acceptable thing to do. AT ALL. It is very dangerous. Duke players should not do that.

Second, I think you are being extremely generous in your explanation. I think he was much more interested in keeping Anderson from getting involved in the transition play. The action he took is not the action of someone defending himself. If anything, by grabbing Anderson's leg with both his hands and both legs, he increased the likelihood that he would get stepped on.

Duvall
01-31-2015, 09:45 PM
OMFG forgot about that Jones pass. Best pass I've seen from a Duke player since the alley oop from Hurley to Hill.

Honestly, who does this? (https://vine.co/v/OtjWZF6W0VW)

Amazing pass.

CDu
01-31-2015, 09:46 PM

Amazing pass.

Yeah, that was like six kinds of awesome.

grad_devil
01-31-2015, 09:49 PM
Thankfully, UVa only got 2 points out of it...

I think they got 4 - the 2 FTs, and then the layup on the ensuing possession, since it was 2 shots + the ball.

I did actually laugh out loud at the figure 4 comment, though.

Glad the flagrant didn't cost us the game. Winslow played so well otherwise. Glad to see him back.

jv001
01-31-2015, 09:51 PM

Amazing pass.

Now that my friend, is how you move the ball. Tyus makes us go and Quinn holds us together. GoDuke!

Bluedog
01-31-2015, 09:51 PM
I think Matt Jones deserves some credit too. Hit a huge 3 and played solid D at the end (including a big time block). Says something that K trusted him to be in the game at crunch time. Maybe not the MOTM, but a special shoutout in my mind. His minutes will obviously increase with the departure of Sheed, so I liked to see him play well and hopefully his confidence will continue to improve.

devildeac
01-31-2015, 09:53 PM
I'll go with Tyus. The 4:1 A:TO and the laser pass tipped the scale for me.

Native
01-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Voted Justise for getting his swagger back in a big way.

Of course, Stones and the Chef Formerly Known As Cook also came through in the clutch.

This win was important because it showed we can win even when Jahlil isn't in beast mode for the whole game.

Saratoga2
01-31-2015, 10:09 PM
I agree that the top three players for Duke were Tyus, Quinn and Justise. I would be happy with any of the three getting man of the match.

CDu
01-31-2015, 10:16 PM
I agree that the top three players for Duke were Tyus, Quinn and Justise. I would be happy with any of the three getting man of the match.

Yeah, Winslow was terrific for much of this one and did well as our PF for about half the game. And our two-headed PG were ruthless down the stretch!

Dukehky
01-31-2015, 10:26 PM
First of all, I don't care if he was protecting "the boys". That is not an acceptable thing to do. AT ALL. It is very dangerous. Duke players should not do that.

Second, I think you are being extremely generous in your explanation. I think he was much more interested in keeping Anderson from getting involved in the transition play. The action he took is not the action of someone defending himself. If anything, by grabbing Anderson's leg with both his hands and both legs, he increased the likelihood that he would get stepped on.

I think this is a massive overreaction, but your opinion is valued. Even if he wasn't just defending himself completely, I still get it. Not everyone is Jah. Not everyone can continuously drive the lane, undoubtedly get raked all the time and shoot just 2 free throws. Duke players have an extraordinary history of not retaliating to stuff, but I understand the nature of Winslows frustration. Anderson was standing almost still and Winslow grabbed his leg. He wasn't sprinting down the court and was intentionally tripped, he didn't hit him in the face. I just don't see this as some abhorrent behavior. I see it as a bone headed play that was called appropriately, and I am certain that he won't respond in that manner again, seeing as it cost Duke four points and gave Justise his 4th foul.

All in all, we disagree on the severity of the action as well as how to view the actions of a "Duke Player." I hold the players in very high regard when it comes to off the court issues, but am apparently substantially more forgiving of pretty singular actions on the court. Which is an okay thing to disagree on from my perspective I guess.

My supposition is that we will not hear anything about it from K, from Justise, or from most of the national media from here on out, and that if K deemed it behavior unworthy of one wearing the Duke uniform, then Justise will catch some flack for it. If not, then we press on. Still say Winslow was the player of the game. Seeing him get out of his slump and perform admirably on defense probably did wonders for the team's confidence.

El_Diablo
01-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Tyus caJones.

moonpie23
01-31-2015, 10:35 PM
I'm going with 56.4% "frustration grab", and 43.6% "protecting the boys"

azzefkram
01-31-2015, 10:37 PM
So many worthy choices... went for Quinn, our senior co-captain and leader. He's done just about everything you could ask a four year player to do.

Clay Feet POF
01-31-2015, 10:47 PM
. Tyus makes us go and Quinn holds us together. GoDuke!

Bullseye!!

Newton_14
01-31-2015, 10:55 PM
Uh, he didn't do much of anything.

- near turnover
- missed a 3
- decent defense, but 2 fouls in limited minutes

This was not a Grayson Allen game. He'll be better against a team like ND.
First I voted for Winslow. His play was huge and I forgive the bonehead play. He was frustrated with no foul call on his drive.

I do have to disagree on Grayson. I thought Grayson acquitted himself very well tonight. Very hostile environment, lots of pressure, but he handled it well. He played solid defense, stayed within himself on offense. Had the one nice drive on a fast break drawing the foul and hit one free throw. Took the one good shot he was presented with, and while it did not go down, it was close. He also got a couple of deflections and crashed the boards well. I thought in that environment, for him to not make any glaring mistakes and not looking totally overwhelmed out there was huge for him and the team. It should give him good confidence moving forward. The main thing for Grayson this year, is realizing he is in fact talented enough to play at this level, and to not play tentative like he did against St Johns. Props to K for trusting him enough to throw him in there early, and using him in both halves. With the schedule easing up a little bit and more home games coming, this could springboard Grayson to have a solid remainder of his freshman campaign, and then becoming a solid rotation next season who actually contributes and makes an impact. I am thrilled with how he played tonight. It could have gone really really bad in that environment against that opponent, but it didn't. That's huge for him.

Having played basketball on school teams, I feel there is one other important key for a kid like Grayson, in that his teammates need to show they have confidence in him and his abilities and giving him encouragement early and often, and showing ultimate trust in him. That kind of stuff is huge for a player such as Grayson and also MP3.

As for the man of the match it could really have gone to any of Quinn, Tyus, and Winslow, but I am more than comfortable giving the nod to Justise. His play was huge.

My two cents.

Go Duke!!

gep
01-31-2015, 11:24 PM
Justise in the first half, Quinn as the overall leader, then Tyus at the end. I had to go with Tyus. His clutch play in the last 5 minutes sealed the game (my 2 cents... or less?)

HateCarolina
01-31-2015, 11:51 PM
Not voting for Justise is just silly. I recognize that Quinn and Tyus did it down the stretch, but Justise did it early and often and put us in place to win. The T was silly at best. Welcome back to superb play Justise.

Dukehky
01-31-2015, 11:56 PM
Not voting for Justise is just silly. I recognize that Quinn and Tyus did it down the stretch, but Justise did it early and often and put us in place to win. The T was silly at best. Welcome back to superb play Justise.

That layup block into transition layup was ridiculous.

elvis14
02-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Justise looked like his old self and had a great game. Quinn hit some big shots. Matt hit some big shots. Grayson put in some good minutes. Lots of guys did good and great things. Tyus Jones was easily the MOTM, however. He made timely baskets, that amazing pass and the dagger of a 3 that put the game away.

NSDukeFan
02-01-2015, 11:59 AM
First I voted for Winslow. His play was huge and I forgive the bonehead play. He was frustrated with no foul call on his drive.

I do have to disagree on Grayson. I thought Grayson acquitted himself very well tonight. Very hostile environment, lots of pressure, but he handled it well. He played solid defense, stayed within himself on offense. Had the one nice drive on a fast break drawing the foul and hit one free throw. Took the one good shot he was presented with, and while it did not go down, it was close. He also got a couple of deflections and crashed the boards well. I thought in that environment, for him to not make any glaring mistakes and not looking totally overwhelmed out there was huge for him and the team. It should give him good confidence moving forward. The main thing for Grayson this year, is realizing he is in fact talented enough to play at this level, and to not play tentative like he did against St Johns. Props to K for trusting him enough to throw him in there early, and using him in both halves. With the schedule easing up a little bit and more home games coming, this could springboard Grayson to have a solid remainder of his freshman campaign, and then becoming a solid rotation next season who actually contributes and makes an impact. I am thrilled with how he played tonight. It could have gone really really bad in that environment against that opponent, but it didn't. That's huge for him.

Having played basketball on school teams, I feel there is one other important key for a kid like Grayson, in that his teammates need to show they have confidence in him and his abilities and giving him encouragement early and often, and showing ultimate trust in him. That kind of stuff is huge for a player such as Grayson and also MP3.

As for the man of the match it could really have gone to any of Quinn, Tyus, and Winslow, but I am more than comfortable giving the nod to Justise. His play was huge.

My two cents.

Go Duke!!

I voted for Justise as well, since I am so excited that he appears to be back playing very well again. I am also happy to see Grayson has had a chance to play in big games in tough environments, if only for a few minutes. He may not have added much, but he didn't hinder the team either. I hope he gets a bunch of minutes in the upcoming games and keeps gaining confidence. I hope for the same for Marshall, (and all our guys).

duke blue brewcrew
02-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Whatevs I think he was protecting himself. But I'm not looking for a fight.

I couldn't agree more with you. Tyus and Quinn were monsters coming down the stretch, but Justice was a monster ALL GAME LONG. Say what you will about that flagrant foul, it certainly didn't help the Duke comeback. That said, a self preservation in a bad position arguement could be made for that situation. Tip of the cap and my vote go to Justice for his first career double-double and hist best game in three weeks (if not of the season) that comes at a time when Duke needed it most. Chief Justice played like a BEAST on both sides of the ball!

duke blue brewcrew
02-01-2015, 01:06 PM
That layup block into transition layup was ridiculous.

You took the words right out of my mouth! There were times in the game that the only reason Duke was in the fight on the scoreboard was because of Justice making one hustle play after another. Rebounds, blocked shots, tough defense, quick outlets to start fastbreaks, leading fastbreaks and scoring at the rim, driving the lane to score and keep the defense honest...he did it all. One bad foul shouldn't impact how his performace should be viewed in the game. Clearly that foul didn't prevent a win.

Native
02-01-2015, 01:14 PM
I thought Grayson acquitted himself very well tonight. Very hostile environment, lots of pressure, but he handled it well. He played solid defense, stayed within himself on offense. Had the one nice drive on a fast break drawing the foul and hit one free throw. Took the one good shot he was presented with, and while it did not go down, it was close. He also got a couple of deflections and crashed the boards well. I thought in that environment, for him to not make any glaring mistakes and not looking totally overwhelmed out there was huge for him and the team. It should give him good confidence moving forward. The main thing for Grayson this year, is realizing he is in fact talented enough to play at this level, and to not play tentative like he did against St Johns. Props to K for trusting him enough to throw him in there early, and using him in both halves. With the schedule easing up a little bit and more home games coming, this could springboard Grayson to have a solid remainder of his freshman campaign, and then becoming a solid rotation next season who actually contributes and makes an impact. I am thrilled with how he played tonight. It could have gone really really bad in that environment against that opponent, but it didn't. That's huge for him.

Great post. Grayson doesn't need to be a superstar — he just doesn't need to screw it up. Thought he was solid relief for Quinn last night. Didn't get lost in the team defense — no one could stay in front of Brogdon — acquitted the only turnover he had, and drew a foul on Gill as well as knocking down his free throws.