MaxAMillion
01-31-2015, 08:57 PM
UVA is the new Duke

gumbomoop
Tyus has to be a scoring PG.

Newton_14
HELL YEEEAHHH!!!! That's what I am talking about! Screw everyone who thought this Duke team was done!! More in a minute!!!!!

GOOOO DUKE!!!!

duke79
01-31-2015, 08:58 PM
UNBELIEVABLE comeback !!! GREAT win.

MaxAMillion
"I agree. We simply don't play to UVAs level"

"Why do we look the same every year? Why does it seem like we are destined for another early exit? What happened to K's coaching ability?"

OZZIE4DUKE
Yessssssss! Told y'all we were going to win tonight!

jtheall
01-31-2015, 08:59 PM
Unbelievable, hard fought win. THAT's the type of Duke team I grew up watching in the 90's.

crdaul
01-31-2015, 08:59 PM
How sweet it is1

arnie
01-31-2015, 09:00 PM
UNBELIEVABLE comeback !!! GREAT win.
11-0 to finish game. No quit and thought Bennett screwed up letting us hold ball prior to last 3.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
Theres really only word to describe that win

HUGE!!!!!

FerryFor50
Holy cow that was JUST what this team (and fanbase) needed after a tough week.

50% shooting against one of the best defenses in the nation.

Holding Justin Anderson to 11. Playing a mostly effective zone.

Great resolve to come back against a Virginia team that is tough to come back against.

Winning despite Jah getting mugged again.

I'd rank this over the Louisville and Wisconsin wins as best of the season.

1 24 90
01-31-2015, 09:01 PM
"what a theft"

gurufrisbee
HOLY CRAP!!! What a comeback! What a finish! Man, that was amazing. What a shooting display. Unbelievable. Love these guys!

fuse
Tyus is a stone cold ice in his veins killer.
Quin is a warrior with a ton of heart.

Hard game to watch with a delightful ending.

This team has fight!

DukeFanSince1990
I am worn out. Helluva game. Jones and Cook.....ICE COLD BABY.

Tripping William
01-31-2015, 09:02 PM
Three orders of garden-variety onions, please. The TJones, the MJones, and credit to the Cook.

InSpades
01-31-2015, 09:03 PM
11-0 to finish game. No quit and thought Bennett screwed up letting us hold ball prior to last 3.

I would have fouled the *bleep* out of Justise when he had the ball on that possession (w/ like 30-35 left on the clock). Probably would've won anyway...

I admit my Duke jersey is crumpled up on the floor as this team frustrates me to no end... great comeback though. Hopefully this propels them to new heights and we finish things out strong. Quinn and Tyus are good enough to take us very far.

FerryFor50
Also, MATT FRIGGIN JONES.

Stepped up big. Hit a huge 3. Got the block at the end. Satisfying.

gus
Finally Cook becomes a leader.

"Finally"?

bluenorth
Absolutely awesome. There's no quit in this team. That was simply a huge character win of which every player and coach can be proud. I can't wait to see the re-match with Notre Dame!

Duke76
01-31-2015, 09:04 PM
HELL YEEEAHHH!!!! That's what I am talking about! Screw everyone who thought this Duke team was done!! More in a minute!!!!!

GOOOO DUKE!!!!

where is that angry man that catches no fish?????????????

mgtr
I really like this team, but I love Justise Winslow!

dukebluesincebirth
Hell yes! We're alive!

Lunchab1es
Coming off the loss to ND and the loss of Sheed, I think we are all hoping that at the end of the season we can point to this victory as our "turning point", where we put it together and began to reach our potential. Here's to seeing it happen!

dalmatians98
01-31-2015, 09:05 PM
That answers a few questions.

Tyus came through big time and Quinn showed great leadership. My wife and I were on our feet the last three and a half minutes. Fantastic finish. So happy for the team. GO DUKE!!

vrob90
01-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Duke fans have a lot of games to savor and this joins the list. Nice to see the poise and fun to see the freshman make the big play. I'd have given 10/1 odds against this outcome halfway through the second half.

NSDukeFan
01-31-2015, 09:06 PM

GOOOO DUKE!!!!

Are you suggesting that perhaps we shouldn't put limitations on what the team can accomplish after each setback?

JamminJoe
01-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Incredible comeback!! Wooohooo! How many 3's did we get in the last 5 minutes? Great leadership from Tyus and Quin.

burnspbesq
01-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Interesting that we were able to speed Virginia up a little in the second half. Possessions were 26-25 UVa in the first half, 33-33 in the second.

Has anybody shot >50% vs. Hoos before tonight?

CDu
My 4-month old son was asleep shortly before Tyus Jones hit that 3 to seal it. I don't feel the least bit bad that I'll be up for another half hour having to put him to sleep again now. :)

That was AWESOME!!!

It was a pretty evenly matched game most of the way. We couldn't hit our open threes for a long time, and then we couldn't miss them. In aggregate, we shot just a little below our average.

A truly awesome win. We are now 3-1 against top-10 teams on the road, and that "1" should have been another win.

We needed this game for our team's psyche. So glad we got the win, and so glad we got it the way we did (having to fight to get back into it).

dukebluesincebirth
Huge shot Quinn! Huge shot Matt Jones! And then Tyus with the cold blooded dagger!! UVA is shocked. ESPN is shocked. Go Devils!!!

dyedwab
01-31-2015, 09:08 PM
According to Sam Vecenie, a writer for CBS Sports, we scored on 14 out of our last 15 possessions.

.against UVA's defense.

That is awesome

What a win.

DukeFanSince1990
01-31-2015, 09:09 PM
My 4-month old son was asleep shortly before Tyus Jones hit that 3 to seal it. I don't feel the least bit bad that I'll be up for another half hour having to put him to sleep again now. :)

That was AWESOME!!!

It was a pretty evenly matched game most of the way. We couldn't hit our open threes for a long time, and then we couldn't miss them. In aggregate, we shot just a little below our average.

A truly awesome win. We are now 3-1 against top-10 teams on the road, and that "1" should have been another win.

We needed this game for our team's psyche. So glad we got the win, and so glad we got it the way we did (having to fight to get back into it).

lol, been there, done that. I had a 2 year old and a new born in 2010.......

Emerrick
Our defense was so so and our shooting really wasn't that great. Very disappointed in....

HOLY CRAP! WE WON!! Are you kidding me!?!?! Best game of the year! Well done but what a painful roller coaster ride this game was! Time for a dance around the living room!!! Wow - just wow!!!

Duke76
Duke fans have a lot of games to savor and this joins the list. Nice to see the poise and fun to see the freshman make the big play. I'd have given 10/1 odds against this outcome halfway through the second half.

glad i taped that one...K wasn't gonna let them lose at UVA and neither were the guys...stone cold pressure packed win...the took another step tonight...... Louisville, St johns now this !!!!!! bring on Heels

where is wheat!!!!!!!!

dukelifer
Mental toughness- boys showed it tonight. They could have easily folded the tent. Impressive win.

BlueDster
01-31-2015, 09:10 PM
I can't believe Duke withstood that 4 point possession (agreed with the call on Winslow). It's so common to see teams down big to make a run to make it close and then wither when the other team pushes the lead back out. Amazing guts and tenacity to win this game. Also, I was shocked that Bennett let the clock run down on our last possession when the best they could do was tie even if they got a stop.

Devilwin
01-31-2015, 09:11 PM
Great win. And I said here all week we were gonna win. I take exactly NONE of the credit, lol. K still sits on the ACC throne..

DukieInBrasil
When Duke went down by 11 i almost walked out of the bar i was at. Then Duke got a score, so i stayed. WOW!!! What a comeback! What resolve! What a great upset!!!!
Now we've got 3 top ten road wins (shoulda been 4, but that's a different issue...), and nobody else got more than one.
If this team can channel that focus consistently, we'll go far!

FerryFor50
where is wheat!!!!!!!!

Probably drowning his sorrows in some Louisville BBQ... ;)

mgtr
After ND game, I wrote that ND wanted the win more than we did. This game, however, is one that Duke really, really wanted more than UVa.

lotusland
01-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Awesome win! Had to watch at a party with no sound so I can't wait to watch the replay.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-31-2015, 09:13 PM
I was considering pulling for UNC on monday but then I tripped hit my head and came to my senses.

WVDUKEFAN
01-31-2015, 09:14 PM
That was an awesome win, and one we needed. This team really proved its mental toughness tonight. Congratulations guys!

brevity
UVA is the new Duke

Either outcome tonight would have no bearing on the comparison proposed in that other thread. Calling out someone's fandom for making that comparison was completely unnecessary. Sometimes the hardest part about being a Duke basketball fan is tolerating other Duke basketball fans.

Anyway, I missed most of the game and finally caught the score as UVA 52, Duke 47. By the time I could get to a TV it was UVA 58, Duke 50. So all I saw was a 19-5 run.

You're welcome.

BD80
Matt Jones can shoot.

Did Amile play?

No. 1 seeds are not going to want Duke in their bracket. Will we win 6 in a row at the end? We could. Can we beat anyone? Absolutely!

kAzE
01-31-2015, 09:15 PM
That may have been the best comeback we've had since the miracle minute. It really felt like they outplayed us for about 35 minutes, then we just turned on the Jets and ran away with it. What a satisfying win... We really needed that one. Thank goodness.

cptnflash

Totally agree with this, why did he not foul? Best case scenario with that strategy is they get the ball back down 3 with 8 seconds left... you still almost certainly lose.

Otherwise, an incredible comeback... making 6 of 8 from 3 cures a lot of ills, but I was so impressed with how we didn't quit when down 11 on the road against one of the best teams in the country. So happy for the guys, hopefully this at least puts a happy ending on an emotional roller coaster of a week.

Troublemaker
UVA is the new Duke

LOL - brilliant. UVA fans probably do feel like us after the Notre Dame game. Although our theft of this game was even more ridiculous than the Irish's.

Great, courageous, clutch shotmaking by our team!

Let's not forget to give massive props to Coach K as well. 3-2 zone turned the game around. Wait, what?!? We hadn't even played that at all this season yet, I believe.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-31-2015, 09:17 PM
Either outcome tonight would have no bearing on the comparison proposed in that other thread. Calling out someone's fandom for making that comparison was completely unnecessary. Sometimes the hardest part about being a Duke basketball fan is tolerating other Duke basketball fans.

Anyway, I missed most of the game and finally caught the score as UVA 52, Duke 47. By the time I could get to a TV it was UVA 58, Duke 50. So all I saw was a 19-5 run.

You're welcome.

Not to one up you, but I got home from work with about 1:35 seconds left in the Maryland Duke miracle minute game...so you are welcome lol.

Seriously though thanks for turning the tide!!

NancyCarol
is it safe to open my eyes now?

grossbus
started 0-8 from three and finished, what, 5-5?

remarkable.

feelin' good.

FerryFor50
01-31-2015, 09:19 PM
LOL - brilliant. UVA fans probably do feel like us after the Notre Dame game. Although our theft of this game was even more ridiculous than the Irish's.

Great, courageous, clutch shotmaking by our team!

Let's not forget to give massive props to Coach K as well. 3-2 zone turned the game around. Wait, what?!? We hadn't even played that at all this season yet, I believe.

I wouldn't call this a theft. Duke just started getting hot, rebounding and UVA started missing at the right time of the game.

ND, on the other hand, was hitting shots off of near turnovers.

MCFinARL
01-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Any time anybody tries to say this team does not have heart, please remember this game.

Especially satisfied as I am a big Quinn Cook fan and he showed his doubters something tonight--in addition to his good play, he was a strong leader on the court, talking to the team when they were falling behind in the second half and helping to keep them focused.

CDu
Matt Jones can shoot.

Did Amile play?

No. 1 seeds are not going to want Duke in their bracket. Will we win 6 in a row at the end? We could. Can we beat anyone? Absolutely!

This was a horrible matchup for Jefferson. UVa is so big, and they camp out down low. So the things he does well were always going to be hard to come by.

Coach K decided that our best chance to win was to spread the floor with Winslow at the PF spot and Jones at SF. Looks like it paid off (eventually).

porkpa
Isn't it incredible how coach K has embraced the zone? After decades of refusing to play zone, he realized the makeup of this team was suited for it. I'm certain that his mentor, Bob Knight would not have bit the bullet and did what Coach K did.
Now with only eight scholarship players I expect to see more of the same. By utilizing the zone he will likely be able to conserve the energy of the guys on the team and also help to prevent guys from fouling out.
Hail to Quinn, the Jones boys, Justise, Jahlil and everybody else who contributed to this great win.

1 24 90
01-31-2015, 09:21 PM
Sportscenter just called this the biggest upset of the day. Shaking my head. (and my body is still shaking a little bit too)

Dukehky

remarkable.

feelin' good.

Started 1-10. Huge win, fun to watch, I prepared to go for a nice long run to get out some of the aggression out around the 7 minute mark. Now, I think I'll just hang out.

cptnflash
Also, kudos to the coaching staff for an excellent game plan. I know it was 3's that won it in the end, but what kept us in the game for the first 30 minutes was our aggressiveness in transition. We attacked so much after made baskets, I almost thought we were wearing powder blue! Absolutely the right tactic to avoid having to score against UVa's excellent half court defence, but perhaps even more importantly, I think it was a way to get the team into an aggressive mindset and forget about all the background noise.

FerryFor50
01-31-2015, 09:22 PM
Isn't it incredible how coach K has embraced the zone? After decades of refusing to play zone, he realized the makeup of this team was suited for it. I'm certain that his mentor, Bob Knight would not have bit the bullet and did what Coach K did.
Now with only eight scholarship players I expect to see more of the same. By utilizing the zone he will likely be able to conserve the energy of the guys on the team and also help to prevent guys from fouling out.
Hail to Quinn, the Jones boys, Justise, Jahlil and everybody else who contributed to this great win.

I think it comes down to this - K loves winning and defense more than being stuck in his ways.

Kudos for him having his priorities right. :)

wgl1228
01-31-2015, 09:22 PM
Anyone got any K quotes yet?

Duvall
01-31-2015, 09:23 PM
Sportscenter just called this the biggest upset of the day. Shaking my head. (and my body is still shaking a little bit too)

Might be true. No - VCU was favored by more. Still, it was an upset.

dukelion
01-31-2015, 09:24 PM
I need the ND game next week to make me whole......I'm guessing the the boys might be a bit fired up fpr that one.

But man......what a night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DangerDevil
No. 1 seeds are not going to want Duke in their bracket.

You can't have two #1 seeds in a bracket.

FerryFor50

I'd call Pitt over #8 ND, #18 Northern Iowa over #12 Wichita St, Richmond over #14 VCU or #20 Baylor throttling #19 Texas bigger upsets.

This was a higher profile upset, though, considering the teams and the Sulaimon situation.

Duke3517
01-31-2015, 09:26 PM
Outstanding win. Also great game in general.

I give props to UVA, they are tough. They need consistent shooting in order to go deep in March. You can't always rely on tough defense. Eventually they will see a team that will take their toughness and shove it right in there face.

For Duke, Tyus Jones is the best point guard in the country. He will clearly be a top 5 pick. One of the smartest athletes Duke has ever had. Maybe Battier smarter. Duke will still have to work on their defense. Especially Cook. Tough, gritty win.

fisheyes
01-31-2015, 09:27 PM
Absolutely huge win given the events of the week.
This could be the game that propels them to greatness.
Great intensity. Great heart.
That's Duke and that's more like it!

A Duke win and a Carolina loss...in the same day? Heaven!

Troublemaker
01-31-2015, 09:27 PM

brev, I had a different interpretation of that comment as you can see from above.

No. 1 seeds are not going to want Duke in their bracket.

Sure. I'd be peeved if I'm a 1 seed and they put another 1 seed in my bracket :-)

Any time anybody tries to say this team does not have heart, please remember this game.

Especially satisfied as I am a big Quinn Cook fan and he showed his doubters something tonight--in addition to his good play, he was a strong leader on the court, talking to the team when they were falling behind in the second half and helping to keep them focused.

Quinn's been an absolute dream leader for this young team. An absolute dream.

devildeac
01-31-2015, 09:28 PM

remarkable.

feelin' good.

0/9 start, 6/8 finish, including our last 4. I think.

FerryFor50
01-31-2015, 09:28 PM
For Duke, Tyus Jones is the best point guard in the country. He will clearly be a top 5 pick. One of the smartest athletes Duke has ever had. Maybe Battier smarter. Duke will still have to work on their defense. Especially Cook. Tough, gritty win.

I know it's post-win elation and all, but Jones might not even be the best PG in the ACC. Jerian Grant, Marcus Paige and Macolm Brogden are definitely in the discussion.

dukelion
01-31-2015, 09:29 PM
Play of the game IMO was the Tyus assist to Winslow down the stretch.....sick vision....sick pass.

JBDuke
Someone above posted that we scored on 14 of our last 15 possessions. I'll add a couple of things to that:

We were down 9 with 5:21 to go and outscored them 22-7 from there. Down 8 with 4:51 to go and outscored them 19-5 from there. Down 5 with 3 minutes to go and finished on an 11-0 run.

We made our last 6 shots, 4 of which were 3 pointers. We made 8 of our last 9, 5 of which were 3's.

wgl1228
Every game went my way today (except Kentucky obviously). Need Seattle to win tomorrow!

fuse
01-31-2015, 09:30 PM
Most satisfying win for me over UVa since February 1997 when Wojo won the game on free throws.

duke79
I, for one, admit I was not optomistic when we were down 11 in the second half. UVa was on a roll and we were being totally outplayed. Incredible, gutsy comeback. Going to a zone seemed to throw UVa off its offensive rythym and we finally started to make some outside shots.

FerryFor50
Someone above posted that we scored on 14 of our last 15 possessions. I'll add a couple of things to that:

We were down 9 with 5:21 to go and outscored them 22-7 from there. Down 8 with 4:51 to go and outscored them 19-5 from there. Down 5 with 3 minutes to go and finished on an 11-0 run.

We made our last 6 shots, 4 of which were 3 pointers. We made 8 of our last 9, 5 of which were 3's.

Was that a patented Duke run™?

CDu
01-31-2015, 09:31 PM
I know it's post-win elation and all, but Jones might not even be the best PG in the ACC. Jerian Grant, Marcus Paige and Macolm Brogden are definitely in the discussion.

Well, Brogdon is a SG, so there's that. Grant is sort of a combo guard, but technically plays SG for Notre Dame. As far as PGs go, I'd take Jones over Paige (though Paige is the better overall player; he too is more a SG than a PG).

vick
01-31-2015, 09:32 PM

Brogdon's not a PG (though a ridiculously good player who should--but probably won't--merit serious consideration for ACC POY).

FerryFor50
01-31-2015, 09:32 PM
Brogdon's not a PG (though a ridiculously good player who should--but probably won't--merit serious consideration for ACC POY).

Oh, ok. Thought he ran the point for them at times...

Utley
01-31-2015, 09:33 PM
I think I am still too stunned to be coherent.

I am such a big Tyus fan - he may be Bobby Hurley reincarnated (can that happen while he is still alive). Really happen for Quinn - it's a special year for him and he has earned every minute of it.

You can't qurstion this team's mental toughness after this week. Wow.

My only downer thought is that tonight we were skilled enough to overcome U Va getting a lot better looks than we did. I don't think we can do that consistently. If we can step the D up to another level - we'll behavior in Indy.

I live in northern Va - the U Va faithful were really feeling their oats - I'll be looking forward to work on Monday.

Duke3517
01-31-2015, 09:33 PM
I know it's post-win elation and all, but Jones might not even be the best PG in the ACC. Jerian Grant, Marcus Paige and Macolm Brogden are in the discussion.

I have been all over his radar before this game. He certainly is. They can't create an offense the way Jones does. He runs the offense better than anyone I have seen. Excellent passer in transition. I would disagree.

BobbyFan
01-31-2015, 09:34 PM

I was already feeling good being up 3, and then even better upon seeing that they weren't going to foul. Terrible decision by Bennett. The margin and time status alone dictates fouling, which was accentuated by the fact that 1) it would only have been a 1-and-1; and 2) we had 3 shaky or average FT shooters on the floor.

weezie
01-31-2015, 09:35 PM
.... Sometimes the hardest part about being a Duke basketball fan is tolerating other Duke basketball fans....

Hey, I resemble that remark :cool:

UrinalCake
01-31-2015, 09:36 PM
Also, I was shocked that Bennett let the clock run down on our last possession when the best they could do was tie even if they got a stop.

I think that if Oak, Winslow, or Matt had gotten the ball then UVA would have immediately fouled. But Tyus and Quinn are just automatic at the line. Bennett gambled to trust in his defense to get a stop rather than giving us a 4-5 point lead with under a minute left. Fortunately, Tyus had other plans.

Bluedog
01-31-2015, 09:39 PM
I think that if Oak, Winslow, or Matt had gotten the ball then UVA would have immediately fouled. But Tyus and Quinn are just automatic at the line. Bennett gambled to trust in his defense to get a stop rather than giving us a 4-5 point lead with under a minute left. Fortunately, Tyus had other plans.

Winslow had the ball for a moment, but UVa wasn't quick enough to act. UVa should have pressured/doubled Tyus and Quinn to give up the ball to somebody else, and then immediately foul that other person. But I'm glad they didn't! Great win!!! GO DUKE!

Dukehky
01-31-2015, 09:41 PM
I think I am still too stunned to be coherent.

I am such a big Tyus fan - he may be Bobby Hurley reincarnated (can that happen while he is still alive). Really happen for Quinn - it's a special year for him and he has earned every minute of it.

You can't qurstion this team's mental toughness after this week. Wow.

My only downer thought is that tonight we were skilled enough to overcome U Va getting a lot better looks than we did. I don't think we can do that consistently. If we can step the D up to another level - we'll behavior in Indy.

I live in northern Va - the U Va faithful were really feeling their oats - I'll be looking forward to work on Monday.

We only hit 6 3's, Jah had 10 points and didn't shoot a single free throw (yeah the f right he never got fouled on a shot). I think at the very worst we are an even matchup for UVA

devildeac
01-31-2015, 09:42 PM
I have been all over his radar before this game. He certainly is. They can't create an offense the way Jones does. He runs the offense better than anyone I have seen. Excellent passer in transition. I would disagree.

Cardiac arrest. Aisle 5.

SoCalDukeFan
01-31-2015, 09:45 PM
This was a great win and I hope a confidence builder. I will say its been a week of super highs and super lows. 1K for K, Super High, Losing at ND a low, Rasheed dismissed Super Low, beating UVA at UVA Super High.

SoCal

fuse
01-31-2015, 09:45 PM
Cardiac arrest. Aisle 5.

Trolling for clients? :rolleyes:

Bay Area Duke Fan
01-31-2015, 09:47 PM
Most important Duke win since Butler in 2010. This team now knows how to win big games.

devildeac
01-31-2015, 09:49 PM
Trolling for clients? :rolleyes:

Absolutely not. I had to defibrillate myself this time:o.

Are you sure January doesn't have 30 days;). I think you need an early celebration;).

fuse
01-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Absolutely not. I had to defibrillate myself this time:o.

Are you sure January doesn't have 30 days;). I think you need an early celebration;).

I'm not staying up 2 more hours, and I do have a Sierra Nevada Celebration in the fridge (among a bunch of other stuff. Kid in a candy store, where to start first????).

MB in MD
01-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Starting with the TJones 3 at 9:39 we scored 35 points off the #2 defense in 10 minutes and 21 seconds. That's just sick. Especially when you consider that before that 3 we had scored 34 points.

dairedevil
01-31-2015, 09:53 PM
As I watched the game, I was flipping between DBR chat & the in-game thread. I know how worried I was at times watching the game, but the negativity I was reading was really getting me down. I was as frustrated by those who were criticizing the team's skills and abilities, the coaches' decisions, the officiating as I was at the way the game was going. It was making me give up any hope I might have. Being down 11 points didn't help, either :-)

Boy, am I glad all those experts were wrong, and that this team and coach found a way to dig deep and pull off the very difficult win. Go Duke!

Next play.....

TruBlu
01-31-2015, 09:54 PM
When Duke went down by 11 i almost walked out of the bar i was at. Then Duke got a score, so i stayed. WOW!!! What a comeback! What resolve! What a great upset!!!!
Now we've got 3 top ten road wins (shoulda been 4, but that's a different issue...), and nobody else got more than one.
If this team can channel that focus consistently, we'll go far!

That's odd. I was watching at home, and almost walked out to go to a bar!

subzero02
01-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Rocky 1: uva equals rocky... Duke equals apollo creed... Those wahoos may or may not get a rematch in the ACC tourney ;-)

DavidBenAkiva
01-31-2015, 09:57 PM
I don't know if Justise Winslow had a health issue (ribs, shoulder), just hit a freshman funk, or what. He's back. This team looks so good when he is playing the way he did tonight. He made Justin Anderson, a very good player, mostly quiet throughout the game. The confidence this game is going to give the team and Winslow playing like this can take this team so far.

Now that the schedule loosens up a little, I hope the remaining 8 can really start to click. I'm thinking Allen and Plumlee get 10+ minutes each game to keep the minutes on the other players down to some degree. I'm hoping Matt Jones can provide the kind of consistent contributions like he's done the past couple of weeks. And I am hoping we can make some damn free throws!

If we can run the table or maybe lose just one game the rest of the regular season, we will be looking at an impressive resume worthy of a top seed in the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Let's Go Duke!

NYBri
01-31-2015, 09:58 PM
BOOM!!!

nyesq83
01-31-2015, 10:01 PM
My strategy worked.

I ignored the game, pretending to sleep, until the last 5 seconds.

There will be some dejected 'Hoos in my office tomorrow and Monday.

Big hoops day here in RVA. VCU and UVA fans will be wearing black tomorrow.

It is good to be a Dukie.

Marc81
01-31-2015, 10:01 PM
I don't know if Justise Winslow had a health issue (ribs, shoulder), just hit a freshman funk, or what. He's back. This team looks so good when he is playing the way he did tonight. He made Justin Anderson, a very good player, mostly quiet throughout the game. The confidence this game is going to give the team and Winslow playing like this can take this team so far.

Now that the schedule loosens up a little, I hope the remaining 8 can really start to click. I'm thinking Allen and Plumlee get 10+ minutes each game to keep the minutes on the other players down to some degree. I'm hoping Matt Jones can provide the kind of consistent contributions like he's done the past couple of weeks. And I am hoping we can make some damn free throws!

If we can run the table or maybe lose just one game the rest of the regular season, we will be looking at an impressive resume worthy of a top seed in the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Let's Go Duke!

I was wondering if the reason Justise grabbed Anderson from the floor is because his leg was on his bruised rib. Could have just been a frustration thing but it would make more sense if that were the case.

UrinalCake
01-31-2015, 10:03 PM
I was considering pulling for UNC on monday but then I tripped hit my head and came to my senses.

I was thinking that if we had lost this game, it would be almost a guarantee that UVA would lose to UNC (State, Miami, and now ND all lost their hangover game after beating us). That would have made things even more unbearable. Hopefully now we'll see the reverse, UVA will play angry and give the CHeats consecutive losses 8-)

Saratoga2
01-31-2015, 10:04 PM
This one can't hurt our resume. Beating the #2 and undefeated team in their own house is a major plus.

I wondered if Duke would be tough enough. My main concerns were Amile against tough physical players and how Jahlil would be able to get back and defend. Well, Amile didn't get that many minutes, Virginia didn't push in transition and also MP3 was mostly a non-factor. What did happen is we got a very determined game from Justise, both Quinn and Tyus had excellent games and showed tough mental attitudes. Matt also came through in a big way. Jahlil's game was below average but still okay.

We also have to congratulate coach K for mixing his defenses and clearly the zone was bothersome to UVA. He has shown more flexibility this year than any other time that I remember in the past 25 years or so. He outcoached Bennett in this game. Maybe the method by which we beat UVA will be copied by two other strong teams they will be playing in the next week. Would love to see us get in the mix for the ACC title.

jv001
01-31-2015, 10:05 PM
I was wondering if the reason Justise grabbed Anderson From the floor is because his leg was on his bruised rib. Could have just been a frustration thing but it would make more sense if that were the case.

I don't think that was it at all. I believe Justise thought he was fouled and was frustrated and he could have been attempting to stop Anderson from getting back down court. It was a bad play and if it had been the other way around, we'd be saying some pretty bad things about Anderson. GoDuke!

CDu
01-31-2015, 10:09 PM
I don't think that was it at all. I believe Justise thought he was fouled and was frustrated and he could have been attempting to stop Anderson from getting back down court. It was a bad play and if it had been the other way around, we'd be saying some pretty bad things about Anderson. GoDuke!

Yeah, I am positive your take is correct. Winslow has had some heated comments this year, and I think he let his frustration get the best of him there. Disappointing.

gcashwell
01-31-2015, 10:10 PM
Body language was much better tonight than in the last three years. Even when down eleven and not playing well, the kids were still trying hard. It would have been respectable, which is not something I could have said about some of our losses. This was the best win for Duke in a long, long time.

azzefkram
01-31-2015, 10:13 PM
A thoroughly satisfying win. I am so happy for our guys.

jv001
01-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I am positive your take is correct. Winslow has had some heated comments this year, and I think he let his frustration get the best of him there. Disappointing.

A Danny Meagher moment? The former Ontario Blue Devil had some less than stellar moments as well. GoDuke!

dyedwab
01-31-2015, 10:17 PM
...our 120.6 offensive efficiency was the highest against UVA this year...and pretty close to our season average of 122.3.

That's impressive no matter how you slice it, but particularly given Jahlil's low (for him) output.

roywhite
01-31-2015, 10:19 PM

You know, I didn't mind that play by Justise (yeah, I know it was a foul and was costly). Winslow showed plenty of fight; we've lost games to teams that were physically stronger than us and they've woofed and celebrated their physical dominance. Anderson is not one of my favorite players (rough and very expressive) and Winslow was not going to be pushed around.

Glad to have you back, Justise; you add a lot to this team. **note to add after seeing the Meagher reference -- I like having a bit of Meagher on Duke teams, and I suspect Coach K does, too.

Billy Dat
01-31-2015, 10:20 PM
I successfully watched the game on about an hour delay. When we were down 11, I was having some of the following thoughts:

-Why can't we get a big defensive rebound when it matters, we are giving the game away with second chance points
-Why can't we shoot
-Why isn't Jah attempting to dominate the game
-Why oh why have we stopped pushing the ball, even off makes
-Why do they, and other teams, get so many open looks against us, especially 10 feet and in
-UVA can have their boring control game if they want it, I'd never want to win with such a hum drum efficient but unsexy approach

Yes, such were my thoughts as it looked like we were headed for a solid beating.

But, then we started coming back, and when Justise made his foolhardy figure-four-leg-lock on Justin Anderson, I kind of figured that we would lose, but my attitude had changed. I was prepared to come onto a salty and irate DBR and proclaim that even though we lost, I officially believe that we are going to be ok. This week has been a true crucible, and the fact that we kept fighting and clawed back in a losing effort tells me that we are going to be just fine.

I still feel that way, but I get to say it after one of the most improbable, miraculous, I-can't-believe-what-I-just saw finishes ever.

Words really fail. We have already packed a full season of memories into this campaign, and there are a lot of games left to play.

Hang on kids, it's gonna be a heck of a ride.

Reilly
Quinn and Tyus -- both missed FTs tonight.

bob blue devil
We just finished a stretch of 5 games that included playing #2 on road, #6 on road, #8 on road and a borderline tourney team on road and only dropped one. That's really impressive - no team could realistically hope to do better. Why does it feel like things were so much worse?

ND and UVA were both effectively coin flips - I don't know that we played materially better in one vs the other. I think this week proves we're a contender, but there are several contenders.

jasoninchina
Hey, I resemble that remark :cool: I don't know if it was intentional or not, but that is a great quote from Curly Howard of the Three Stooges. Well played!

I have had Internet trouble, and only got it working about 9:10 p.m. EST. I love working as a teacher and missionary here in Harbin, China, but sometimes it is difficult NOT being able to watch my Blue Devils play EVERY game. That said, we are truly blessed to have Coach K's coaching genius, a sterling staff of assistants, and elite athletes on our side. I am THRILLED to be what I will call a "subway Dukie," i.e. never a student at Duke University but a great admirer and fan of Coach K and his program since the 1989-1990 season. This was the season after I started watching basketball.

I want to give a great deal of credit to the University of Virginia. Like someone else mentioned upthread, if they can find consistent scoring, they will be a tough "out" in the NCAA Tournament. They defend extraordinarily well, have a superior coach in Bennett, and have an excellent system which fits their personnel very well. In short, I have great respect for the Wahoos. If Duke doesn't win the regular season title, (I know the ACC champion is the ACC tourney winner) it would not bother me at all if Virginia won it. Then, Duke can hopefully beat them again in Greensboro and become the recognized ACC champion!

Along with Notre Dame and Syracuse, it is great having the Cavaliers in the ACC (I know they are NOT new members). Those three programs, along with Duke, provide a level of class perhaps not found in any other conference in major college basketball!

Clay Feet POF
01-31-2015, 10:23 PM

Plus One

devildeac
01-31-2015, 10:32 PM
This one can't hurt our resume. Beating the #2 and undefeated team in their own house is a major plus.

I wondered if Duke would be tough enough. My main concerns were Amile against tough physical players and how Jahlil would be able to get back and defend. Well, Amile didn't get that many minutes, Virginia didn't push in transition and also MP3 was mostly a non-factor. What did happen is we got a very determined game from Justise, both Quinn and Tyus had excellent games and showed tough mental attitudes. Matt also came through in a big way. Jahlil's game was below average but still okay.

We also have to congratulate coach K for mixing his defenses and clearly the zone was bothersome to UVA. He has shown more flexibility this year than any other time that I remember in the past 25 years or so. He outcoached Bennett in this game. Maybe the method by which we beat UVA will be copied by two other strong teams they will be playing in the next week. Would love to see us get in the mix for the ACC title.

Nah, I hope ol roy doesn't get any ideas from watching this game:rolleyes:.

Newton_14
01-31-2015, 10:35 PM
Ok so what a huge huge win. You just cannot put in words how big this win was for this team, especially in how it happened. Coming from 11 or 12 down or whatever it was with less than 10 to go against a dominant team at their place with yet another out of their mind crazy crowd for their super bowl game against Duke is just huge. Much like the St Johns game, except St Johns is not nearly the team UVA is, this again shows the guys there is no need to panic when down double digits.

Like others, I thought the commitment to fast breaking and pushing the ball with passion and abandon in that first half was hugely important to the win. It knocked UVA back a bit. The play of Winslow, who is rounding back into form was huge. The man to man defense was back to early season form for stretches of the first half, and then going to the new 3-2 zone for the first time ever after the 2-3 was struggling a bit, was yet another wrinkle the master of K come up with and it confused UVA enough to be effective. The play of Quinn, Tyus, and Matt was strong, and I thought it great that K used Grayson in both halves and while not spectacular, he aquitted himself quite well out there. Going in, I thought it impossible K would play Grayson tonight barring foul trouble to avoid throwing him to the wolves in a very hostile environment and killing his confidence enough maybe to stunt his growth the remainder of the way. I did not recognize until the game started playing out that this actually was not a bad match up at all for Grayson. As good as UVA guards and wings are, none are lightning quick and those are the type guards and wings Grayson has struggled with in ACC play. Hats off to K for recognizing that and hats off to Grayson for staying within himself, playing good defense, and not forcing it. He had the once nice fast break drive where he got fouled and made the one free throw, and the one 3 he took as a good shot that was jut a bit off. Props to you Grayson. Hopefully this shows you that you can compete in this league. Big.

Props too, to Jahlil for showing great patience and not forcing it or getting frustrated with the outstanding trapping defense UVA through at him. Most of the absurd walks they called on Jah were bad calls after he got bumped or did not really walk to begin with. Amile played good defense and snuck in a couple of good baskets at the rim and Marshall gave good minutes also.

Quinn, Tyus, and Matt showed off down the stretch, and helped seal the deal. After all the crap these guys went through the past three days, I applaud them for the moxie, mental toughness, and the ability to perform at a high level against really bad odds and factors against them. Sorry Seth Greenburg, I know you thought the first half meant UVA would run away with a win but I felt the opposite. I texted 3 other DBR guys at halftime to state I thought our guys both played really well, and set the tone for a strong second half and win. They sustained the UVA run that we all knew was coming, and they got off the mat and started throwing haymakers right and left to turn the table and knock UVA back.

Finally, like others, while I truly believe Bennett is an outstanding coach, he made a huge blunder in letting Duke run the clock out on that final Duke possession. Really odd and bad move. You have to trap early there, force the ball out of Quinn's and Tyus' hands and then find the first person with the ball not named Quinn or Tyus and foul them with the clock still in the 20's. Huge mistake there and he took away UVA's final chance to comeback and win the game. They may lose anyway but I am fouling one of the bad FT shooters as soon as possible during that possession.

Just a great great win and hugely important win for this team. It sets their minds back right and gives them that confidence back that they are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in this league. Might as well just ignore the ACC standings at the moment as it is hardly accurate anyway. Duke has far and away played the toughest conference schedule to date, and on top of that, they get every team's best shot, so even when other team's play the team's Duke has played to date, they don't face nearly the same level of performance from the players or the crowd. I really think the regular season "title" is pretty much meaningliess in a 15 team league, and the schedule makers have much more say so in who is going to finish first in league play vs the teams deciding it.

Shout out to the Duke coaching staff for a great game plan, for getting the guys heads right after ND loss and Rasheed dismissal, and putting the guys in a position to win this game, and shout out to the players for sucking it up and performing at an extremely high level against the Number 2 team in the country who was undefeated and playing at home.

You just can't say enough good things about this win. The fact that it came just after the cheaters from Chapel Hill blowing an 18 point lead and getting outscored by 28 points in the final 17 minutes againgst the Cardinals just makes the night even more sweeter.
Time for our blue devils to go on a huge run down the stretch with a schedule that drops down a little bit from absurd to halfway normal with more home games and reestablish themselves as one of, if not the best team in this league.

Sleep well tonight fellow Blue Devil fanatics, all is right in the world again. Order Has Been Restored!

Go Duke!!

Go to Hell Unc-Cheat, you low life, scumbag, no class bunch of cheating and unethical scumbags!

devildeac
01-31-2015, 10:35 PM
Just for the title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EqneoPcjwU

Duke31122
01-31-2015, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know if they plan to re-air the game on any channels? I want my wife to be able to see it. Sadly, I forgot to record it.

Native
01-31-2015, 10:49 PM
My strategy worked.

I ignored the game, pretending to sleep, until the last 5 seconds.

There will be some dejected 'Hoos in my office tomorrow and Monday.

Big hoops day here in RVA. VCU and UVA fans will be wearing black tomorrow.

It is good to be a Dukie.

My strategy also worked — I switched back to Blue Moon just in the nick of time.

You're all welcome.

rsvman
01-31-2015, 10:50 PM
Epic comeback win in a hostile environment. That last three by Tyus reminded me a little bit of the one Austin Rivers made to beat our friends down the road a few years ago. The game reminded me of that game a little, too.

Color me impressed by the chutzpah of this team and coaching staff and the grit they showed in hanging in there when it seemed all was lost. When I thought we had a steal but then it turned into a Malcolm Brogdon three I thought "it's just not our night." On the very next UVa possession they got a backdoor alley-oop slam and I thought "this zone is not going to work." Luckily I was wrong on both counts.

Credit the coaching staff for the brilliant first-half strategy of going hard and fast to the rim as often as possible. I don't think Bennett was prepared for that. Breaking off made baskets......hmmmm, a page out of Ol' Roy's playbook! But it worked.

Anyway, great game! Haven't been this happy after a win in a long while.

gep
01-31-2015, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know if they plan to re-air the game on any channels? I want my wife to be able to see it. Sadly, I forgot to record it.

If you get ESPN3, it's there...

tux
01-31-2015, 10:59 PM
In Bennett's defense on that last sequence: He had about a 10 second differential and one of the best defenses in the country. He trusted his guys to get a stop when they needed it, but Tyus just hit a tough, unbelievable shot. Yes, it looks like a poor decision in retrospect, but I understand what he was thinking there. If you get a stop, you don't have to "hope" for a miss at the FT line to extend the game...

trinity79
01-31-2015, 11:01 PM
by all rights, we probably should have beaten ND (think free throws) on Wednesday and probably should have lost tonight ... But with a young team I'll take one out of two on the road against two legit top 5 (ish) teams. Oh, and UNC lost a game they probably should have won today. Life is good . . .

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."
- Will Munny in Unforgiven

gep
01-31-2015, 11:02 PM
I think the 2-3 zone started to help, but when the guy in the middle started to get the ball and made his shots, Coach K changed the zone to a 3-2. As others have said, I don't think this was ever done so far... maybe ever... by Duke. But I think that really clogged the middle of the zone, and helped start Duke's comeback. Kudos to Coach K and the staff... What a satisfying win after this past week. :cool: I wasn't about to give up when down by 11 in the second half... blowout loss or close loss, I think Duke just needed to play tough. Coming out with the win... especially how it was done... 5 3-pointers after the miserable 0-9 up to that point... just great grit.

meowmix911
01-31-2015, 11:07 PM
A buddy of mine got together and watched the game. Like the rest of y'all, we couldn't believe when Winslow did the grapple move which basically was a 4 point swing and an additional foul in Winslow...

But if you watch it in slow-motion, you can see Anderson (I think it was him) grab the heel of Winslow's shoe, and use it to push off to launch himself back onto the court, while pushing Winslow's momentum in the wrong direction...

I'm not saying it was at all a good decision, but my guess is that it was Justise's instinct to try to hold him back after Anderson was pushing him in the other direction.

Atldukie79
01-31-2015, 11:10 PM
I have a superstition that I don't sit down during a Duke game until we make a three pointer. (Heck...I stand back up frequently) During our more than 2 decade streak of consecutive games (anyone know how long the streak is?) making a 3 pointer, I think I have sat down in the first half most of the time. I believe this might be the longest I had to wait...30 minutes into the game is nerve wracking.

So add to the list(Heels lose, Duke wins, dramatic comeback, etc.) the 3 point streak lives!

BobbyFan
01-31-2015, 11:13 PM
In Bennett's defense on that last sequence: He had about a 10 second differential and one of the best defenses in the country. He trusted his guys to get a stop when they needed it, but Tyus just hit a tough, unbelievable shot. Yes, it looks like a poor decision in retrospect, but I understand what he was thinking there. If you get a stop, you don't have to "hope" for a miss at the FT line to extend the game...

Time is the most critical and limiting factor for the trailing team in that situation, and we allowed to take 80% of the remaining time off the clock. The losing team's best option is to increase number of possessions (for both teams) and try to make up those points in increments.

DangerDevil
01-31-2015, 11:16 PM

I disagree, I think there are a lot more possibilities for a better outcome being down by 5 with 40 seconds than by 3 with 8 seconds. And that is the worst case if you foul (both FTs made) and best case if you let the clock run. I think you always have to extend the game.

KandG
01-31-2015, 11:33 PM
Trying to remember a week as emotional as this one, with three games so tightly contested, requiring such big plays out of our guys. The way Virginia's defense looked damn near unbreachable for 30 minutes, then started to crumble in the final five to seven minutes, reminded me of soccer teams that press relentlessly for an hour or so and dominate possession then run out of gas in the final 15-20 minutes.

Said it before, Justise being elite is the difference between this team exiting early-ish in the tournament and making a Final Four run. Quinn and Tyus are certainly more than capable on offense, but they don't have the crazy athleticism to tear apart defenses the way Justise does. Plus Justise gives us some perimeter defense so that we're not a total lost cause against larger guards/wings.

I admit I thought the game was over after Justise committed that silly, near game-breaking flagrant though. Shame on me for losing faith.

Virginia defended Jah as well as I've seen any team handle him. Credit to him for his persistence in trying to find openings even when pushed out of his comfort zone, and his sheer doggedness in finding ways to beat their pressure (that pass under the basket to Matt Jones cutting for a layup was phenomenal).

Sometimes I think Matt looks limited offensively (weak handle, slow release on the 3), but his fearlessness regardless of opponent continues to impress me. He kept attacking Virginia and that 3 he made as part of the final run was massive.

Grayson still looks overmatched to me in his limited minutes, but I hope the schedule easing up means he can get more minutes to ease his way into the rotation and contribute more.

As many have said, the coaching staff not only going with the zone, but changing looks with the zone, was a great adjustment. Looked like Bennett had all the cards after withstanding the initial Duke run (that 28-8 run after Duke went up 22-13 was as good a run as any team I've seen put up on Duke, because Duke wasn't wilting the way it did in other games when other teams made huge runs against sub-par defense). But Coach K mixing things up was hugely encouraging.

Between this game & a certain team blowing all of an 18 point lead, a truly great day in college basketball.

Utley
01-31-2015, 11:35 PM

You can watch it on espn3 or watch ESPN if u have access to them. I re watched the last 10 minutes on all cameras no announcer view on watch ESPN ( Apple TV) - very cool

DukieInKansas
01-31-2015, 11:36 PM
My strategy also worked — I switched back to Blue Moon just in the nick of time.

You're all welcome.

And I thought it was my new Duke shirt.

Dukeford
01-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Did anybody else think Bilas and what's his name seem deflated by the final score?
I think they are good commentators, but by the midway point of 2nd half, I was sick of the non-stop worship of UVA.
After awhile my thought was, "ok, I get it, they're a really good team". I was on the verge of turning off the audio, but I resisted.

i.e. Bilas - "3 point field goals are great, but you also have to get a stop at the other end"....my thought was...umm, ok, that's what Duke is trying to do.....

OZ
02-01-2015, 12:11 AM
I think they are good commentators, but by the midway point of 2nd half, I was sick of the non-stop worship of UVA.
After awhile my thought was, "ok, I get it, they're a really good team".

Totally agree.

CoSprings
02-01-2015, 12:21 AM
I didn't see that one coming. Down 11, then the 3 by Brogdon. Wow, Cook, Tyus and Matt in the final 3 minutes were huge. I don't know how we won't that game. We shouldn't have won that game. But Winslow is the key to the season. As he goes, we go. He kept us in the game. Who knows what this team can do...I just thought it was over tonight. What a comeback, so proud for these guys.

daveduke76
02-01-2015, 12:26 AM
is it safe to open my eyes now?

Smile!!!

Tom B.
02-01-2015, 12:29 AM
This seemed like a good place to post this nice little photo I took earlier this evening:

KandG
02-01-2015, 12:31 AM
Did anybody else think Bilas and what's his name seem deflated by the final score?

No.

After awhile my thought was, "ok, I get it, they're a really good team". I was on the verge of turning off the audio, but I resisted.

The reality is that Virginia was dominating the game after falling behind early. When Duke came back, it was so sudden that the announcers were stunned, like many fans (including Duke fans). But Bilas had many nice things to say about Duke's toughness in coming back after the game was over.

I hope we're not revisiting the old "announcers don't give Duke enough credit" silliness. Virginia probably got more love on the whole because they were the undefeated team, and they dominated the game. But Duke got plenty of credit for attacking in transition in their strong start, and for their superb comeback.

ncexnyc
02-01-2015, 12:52 AM
I'll be perfectly honest, I knew we would play well and the team did for the first 25 minutes or so and then UVA slowly started to pull away. Slowly I was getting that sinking feeling we just didn't have what it takes to pull out the victory.

Thank you Coach K for showing us that old dogs most certainly can learn new tricks. His switching to the zone was clearly the turning point of the game as it slowed UVA's momentum and the stops we generated, along with some key baskets quieted the fans and took the wind out of the opposition's sails.

I don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but before we say this is the turning point of our season, let's remember this is a very young and talented team. They will continue to have their ups and downs. Remember we were feeling real good about ourselves prior to the ND game and Thursday's news.

Things will be very interesting the rest of the way. Who steps up their game the remainder of the season will determine our faith one way or another.

InSpades
02-01-2015, 01:00 AM
One thing I did find interesting was all the announcers talking how UVA had to be thrilled to only be down 1 after "giving up so many points in the paint" or "giving up so many fast break points" or whatever else they may have said. Meanwhile Duke was up 1 and their NPOtY candidate had more turnovers than points (possibly than shots taken). This was definitely not Jah's best game and you can say it was UVA's defense but a lot of his turnovers were just unforced errors. The walk after the rebound early in the 2nd half, the walk on the post move in the 1st half, etc. Don't get me wrong, UVA's help defense is awesome.

Great win by the boys tonight!

NashvilleDevil
02-01-2015, 01:33 AM

i.e. Bilas - "3 point field goals are great, but you also have to get a stop at the other end"....my thought was...umm, ok, that's what Duke is trying to do.....

No. In fact I thought Bilas was proud of the resilience his alma mater had in beating Virginia.

gofurman
02-01-2015, 01:48 AM
Well, Brogdon is a SG, so there's that. Grant is sort of a combo guard, but technically plays SG for Notre Dame. As far as PGs go, I'd take Jones over Paige (though Paige is the better overall player; he too is more a SG than a PG).

Whatever position they are all super studs. Jerian Grant was a phenom the. other night. Wish he played for us. If we had trades in college like pro baseball I'd find a way to get either j Grant or brogdon to Duke. Maybe brogdon first to help w D as he is part of a super UVA D. But Grant was everything and more onWednesday for ND.

mr. synellinden
02-01-2015, 03:00 AM
Just watched the game again. It's a little less stressful when you know the outcome.

A couple of observations:
Tyus Jones was so huge in this game. It's really hard to believe he's a freshman. Someone made a Hurley reference earlier in the thread - right now he's playing better than Hurley did as a freshman and with far more poise and maturity. He made our first 3 pointer when we were down by 11 that kept us in the game. Then after we had cut it to two and Virginia went back up by 9, he made a huge driving layup +1 to cut it to 6. He then made an incredible skip pass to find Cook for a 3 that cut it to 5. After Matt made his 3 to cut it to, 2 he deflected a pass to the foul line that led to a turnover and then he made the sick touch bullet pass to Winslow for the layup that tied it. Then he came up with a loose ball rebound on Virginia's next possession. Of course he then hit the dagger 3. My favorite tweet in a long time was Adam Rowe's: TYUS STONES. If anyone has the game recorded, go back and watch the replay showing Duke's bench and check out Amile's reaction. It's priceless.

We should all appreciate what a special player Tyus is - which can get overlooked with all the hype about Okafor.

Also, talk about a tale of two halves. In the last 6 and a half minutes of the first half, Duke scored 4 points. In the last 6 and a half minutes of the second half, we scored 24. Against the #2 defense in the country.

g-money
02-01-2015, 03:11 AM
Most important Duke win since Butler in 2010. This team now knows how to win big games.

You took the words right out of my mouth. To me this was our biggest win as a program since 4/2010. I know there have been some great wins in between,
but I can't remember one in which so much was at stake.

To paraphrase a line from Chris Berman: NO ONE CIRCLES THE WAGONS LIKE THE DUKE BLUE DEVILS!!

And with three road wins against top ten teams, does anybody doubt our final four potential at this point?

Edouble
02-01-2015, 04:30 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth. To me this was our biggest win as a program since 4/2010. I know there have been some great wins in between,
but I can't remember one in which so much was at stake.

To paraphrase a line from Chris Berman: NO ONE CIRCLES THE WAGONS LIKE THE DUKE BLUE DEVILS!!

And with three road wins against top ten teams, does anybody doubt our final four potential at this point?

I think our biggest win since Butler in 04/2010 was our 66-50 victory over Doug McDermott and Creighton in 03/2013. Coming off of a first round exit against Lehigh the year before, it was imperative that we make the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Fast forwarding one year to a first round loss to Mercer, had we not beaten Creighton, that would have been three years in a row not making the Sweet 16!

Stop and think about that one for a minute.

Tonight's win was great, but not bigger than the Creighton game.

killerleft
02-01-2015, 05:47 AM
A buddy of mine got together and watched the game. Like the rest of y'all, we couldn't believe when Winslow did the grapple move which basically was a 4 point swing and an additional foul in Winslow...

But if you watch it in slow-motion, you can see Anderson (I think it was him) grab the heel of Winslow's shoe, and use it to push off to launch himself back onto the court, while pushing Winslow's momentum in the wrong direction...

I'm not saying it was at all a good decision, but my guess is that it was Justise's instinct to try to hold him back after Anderson was pushing him in the other direction.

I noticed this as well. Anderson was using Winslow as a starting block.

Devilwin
02-01-2015, 06:52 AM
Lost in the shuffle of three pointers stat: UVA allows 19 points a game in the paint. Last night, Duke got an unbelievable 44 points in the paint!

Also, I will say this. Though I hate the Tar Holes as much as anyone, and was glad they lost yesterday, would it not be beneficial for us if they beat Virginia? That would be the second loss for the "Wa Who" nation, and we have two shots at the Heels. It's hard to pull for them, true, but if it helps Duke, well....

Devilwin
02-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Another stat that amazes me:
Fast break points:
Duke 14, UVA 0!

bluebeagle
02-01-2015, 07:17 AM
T Jones' dagger was reminiscent of the Rivers' dagger against the cheaters. This has to be K's best coaching performance since '10. Last night the fast breaks, 3-2 and 2-3 zones, ,, guess he must have been reading my mind and this forum.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-01-2015, 07:20 AM
I think our biggest win since Butler in 04/2010 was our 66-50 victory over Doug McDermott and Creighton in 03/2013.

Tonight's win was great, but not bigger than the Creighton game.

Tonight's win could be huge, depending on how the rest of the season unfolds. We just don't know yet, though.

The Creighton win was important for the program's recent tournament history.

But, by far, the biggest and most important win since 2010 was defeating UNC in the ACC Title game at Greensboro in 2011.

Regular season and NCAAT 2nd round wins are nice, but Titles are forever.

jv001
02-01-2015, 07:30 AM
Lost in the shuffle of three pointers stat: UVA allows 19 points a game in the paint. Last night, Duke got an unbelievable 44 points in the paint!

Also, I will say this. Though I hate the Tar Heels as much as anyone, and was glad they lost yesterday, would it not be beneficial for us if they beat Virginia? That would be the second loss for the "Wa Who" nation, and we have two shots at the Heels. It's hard to pull for them, true, but if it helps Duke, well....

Never, ever, pull for the cheats. If you were born before 1963. That is. GoDuke!

Devilwin
02-01-2015, 07:38 AM
Never, ever, pull for the cheats. If you were born before 1963. That is. GoDuke!

I was born before 1963, and never pull for them, but I am trying to be logical here. A second UVA loss helps us, and like I said, we have two chances to put UNC in the rear view. If we can take care of business, and someone else gets UVA, we can be setting pretty for the regular season title.
I feel ya on pulling for them though, I really do, very distasteful. But in the end we could be the ones laughing!

NSDukeFan
02-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Tonight's win could be huge, depending on how the rest of the season unfolds. We just don't know yet, though.

The Creighton win was important for the program's recent tournament history.

But, by far, the biggest and most important win since 2010 was defeating UNC in the ACC Title game at Greensboro in 2011.

Regular season and NCAAT 2nd round wins are nice, but Titles are forever.

This was a huge win, an awesome game and a great comeback, but I would take the UNC championship, the Creighton game, the Rivers game all as bigger wins. I am also not sure this win is any more impressive than beating Wisconsin at Kohl, a place almost as difficult as Cameron to get a non-conference win. Great to gave all these great wins to think about. Ho hum, the Super Bowl is on tonight. It certainly won't be nearly as exciting to me as this one.

CDu
02-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Whatever position they are all super studs. Jerian Grant was a phenom the. other night. Wish he played for us. If we had trades in college like pro baseball I'd find a way to get either j Grant or brogdon to Duke. Maybe brogdon first to help w D as he is part of a super UVA D. But Grant was everything and more onWednesday for ND.

No disagreement. Just that the previous posts of this discussion were about PGs specifically. I can name several non-PGs that I would love to add to this team, and those guys are certainly on the list.

CDu
02-01-2015, 07:50 AM
This was a huge win, an awesome game and a great comeback, but I would take the UNC championship, the Creighton game, the Rivers game all as bigger wins. I am also not sure this win is any more impressive than beating Wisconsin at Kohl, a place almost as difficult as Cameron to get a non-conference win. Great to gave all these great wins to think about. Ho hum, the Super Bowl is on tonight. It certainly won't be nearly as exciting to me as this one.

I would take this win over the Creighton win. We just beat a better team in a true road game, whereas Creighton was very much the underdog in a neutral site game. Heck, that wasn't even our best win in the tourney that year.

One can certainly debate this versus Wiconsin. I think UVa is better than Wisconsin, and I think showing the resolve to come from way behind is more impressive than winning on a night where all the shots were falling.

I do agree on those UNC wins.

bob blue devil
02-01-2015, 07:50 AM
stupid unbalanced schedule - we deserve another! (okay, maybe deserve is a stretch)

TruBlu
02-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Finally, like others, while I truly believe Bennett is an outstanding coach, he made a huge blunder in letting Duke run the clock out on that final Duke possession. Really odd and bad move. You have to trap early there, force the ball out of Quinn's and Tyus' hands and then find the first person with the ball not named Quinn or Tyus and foul them with the clock still in the 20's. Huge mistake there and he took away UVA's final chance to comeback and win the game. They may lose anyway but I am fouling one of the bad FT shooters as soon as possible during that possession.

Great post. Quoting the above portion in order to add the following:

Not only did Bennett blunder in the last possession, but also in probably in the last 3 - 5 minutes, by not fouling our interior guys when the ball did go inside. I don't remember any of our questionable FT shooters getting on the line in the second half.

I also believe our coaching staff deserves props in the above, as it seemed that we were not forcing the ball inside for shots by our bigs. On the occasions when the ball was passed inside it didn't stay there long, but was passed back out to our 3 point shooters (who thankfully finally started to hit them). This also prevented the hack-an-Oak defense.

Great comeback. It really helped ease the pain of the previous 3 days.

CajunDevil
02-01-2015, 08:13 AM
I agree with Dukeford - Bilas and the other announcer were seeing their pre-game narrative play out - struggling Duke team ran into the pack line D (and whose players "move while the ball is in the air") of UVA and that was that. When K went to zone and the game changed both announcers were stunned that Duke was now scoring. It sounded as if now the announcers had to go off script and their energy and effusive praise of UVA was counter to what was actually happening. I mean, scoring on 14 of last 15 trips against UVA's vaunted D wasn't really happening was it? Now, I'm not saying there was an anti-Duke bias. I'm saying that the announcers get so caught up in following some pre-scripted narrative that it makes games hard to listen to. And then when the opposite happens they sound deflated, along with the crowd. It happens a lot with ESPN announcers especially.

mgtr
02-01-2015, 08:25 AM
I agree with Dukeford - Bilas and the other announcer were seeing their pre-game narrative play out - struggling Duke team ran into the pack line D (and whose players "move while the ball is in the air") of UVA and that was that. When K went to zone and the game changed both announcers were stunned that Duke was now scoring. It sounded as if now the announcers had to go off script and their energy and effusive praise of UVA was counter to what was actually happening. I mean, scoring on 14 of last 15 trips against UVA's vaunted D wasn't really happening was it? Now, I'm not saying there was an anti-Duke bias. I'm saying that the announcers get so caught up in following some pre-scripted narrative that it makes games hard to listen to. And then when the opposite happens they sound deflated, along with the crowd. It happens a lot with ESPN announcers especially.

Spot on, CajunDevil. Very perceptive analysis. As I think about it, I am surprised, because this sort of upset happens enough that they shouldn't be caught off guard, but they were.

dukebluesincebirth
02-01-2015, 08:30 AM

Yeah, I definitely noticed a different tone in bilas and the others at the end of the game...hard to tell if it was disappointment in the outcome, or just all out shock. The dagger by Tyus took their breath away ( and mine too from screaming)!

sagegrouse
02-01-2015, 08:56 AM
T Jones' dagger was reminiscent of the Rivers' dagger against the cheaters. This has to be K's best coaching performance since '10. Last night the fast breaks, 3-2 and 2-3 zones, ,, guess he must have been reading my mind and this forum.

The Tyus Jones shot was the cherry on the sundae -- Duke was in a winning position. The Austin Rivers shot snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

Other observations: The failure to foul at the end by Bennett made it a "pretty loss" rather than a potential "ugly win," with players repeatedly tromping to the foul line.

Grayson Allen! Twice this week opposing players stripped him, and he stole the ball back. Last night when Brogdon grabbed the ball and against St. John's, when he raced to the other end of the court and made a steal to foil a layup. Moxie! He'll do fine in increased minutes. Moreover, who would have thought of Grayson playing forward, but that's what he did, playing the back line of the zone defense.

Virginia players got tired. They shouldn't have with all the Cavaliers depth, but they didn't seem to have their legs on shots and their defense weakened at the end. We scored on 14 of the last 15 possessions. We should give some credit to the "Big Guy," who really is a load to guard, and Okafor scored all his points in the second half.

With ten minutes left and Duke showing no signs of life, my headline for the game was gonna be "Brick City." We couldn't buy a shot -- we took very few from outside and were missing them all. we also missed some easy shots near the basket in the first half, reminiscent of the Notre Dame game.

Here's the Virginia sequence starting from 1:07 left in the game:

1:06 66-63 Mike Tobey missed Free Throw.
1:06 66-63 Mike Tobey Offensive Rebound.
1:01 66-63 Mike Tobey missed Layup.
1:01 66-63 Mike Tobey Offensive Rebound.
1:01 66-63 Jump Ball won by Virginia
0:46 66-63 Mike Tobey missed Layup.

Oh! And in other news, there is an ancient saying by Confucius, "The Vasturia blooms for only a few days." ND forward Steve Vasturia, whose shot sunk the Devils on Wednesday, had the same shot from the corner with 0:07 seconds left against Pitt and the score 72-73. He missed.

sagegrouse
02-01-2015, 09:00 AM

Spot on, CajunDevil. Very perceptive analysis. As I think about it, I am surprised, because this sort of upset happens enough that they shouldn't be caught off guard, but they were.

Yeah, I definitely noticed a different tone in bilas and the others at the end of the game...hard to tell if it was disappointment in the outcome, or just all out shock. The dagger by Tyus took their breath away ( and mine too from screaming)!

I thought Shulman and Bilas were going with the various story lines of the game in front of them. Int he first half it was that Duke was shredding the Virginia defense by going to the rim. Then there was the suffocating pressure of the Virginia defense and Virginia's new-found ability to run its offense. Then there was the breathtaking turn-around, which started with a "Oh, lookee here -- Dukes within four." Which was just what I thought at home.

75Crazie
02-01-2015, 09:15 AM
I was born before 1963, and never pull for them, but I am trying to be logical here. A second UVA loss helps us, and like I said, we have two chances to put UNC in the rear view. If we can take care of business, and someone else gets UVA, we can be setting pretty for the regular season title.
I feel ya on pulling for them though, I really do, very distasteful. But in the end we could be the ones laughing!
Any considerations of league standings pale into insignificance when the Heels are in the equation. Wahoowa, Wahoowa, Beat the Hell out of UNC.

The Gordog
02-01-2015, 09:31 AM

That's what I saw as well. No matter how you slice it, that's a push! Should have been offsetting technicals.

Karl Beem
02-01-2015, 09:45 AM

Also, I will say this. Though I hate the Tar Heels as much as anyone, and was glad they lost yesterday, would it not be beneficial for us if they beat Virginia? That would be the second loss for the "Wa Who" nation, and we have two shots at the Heels. It's hard to pull for them, true, but if it helps Duke, well....

Barring a collapse, UVa should win the regular season. I'll take the 2nd seed.

fgb
02-01-2015, 09:47 AM
i really, really love that we took out the undefeated, number 2 team in the nation on their home court, on national television, and did not follow that up with any sort of excessive celebration. that's big time.

Channing
02-01-2015, 09:55 AM

Will never EVER root for unc. Can't do it. If, notwithstanding me rooting for them to lose in an embarrassing fashion, they somehow manage to win, Duke will be in better position for regular season and I can appreciate that.

DukieInKansas
02-01-2015, 09:56 AM
i really, really love that we took out the undefeated, number 2 team in the nation on their home court, on national television, and did not follow that up with any sort of excessive celebration. that's big time.

And I love that there were folks that recognized how big this was and greeted the team when they returned to Cameron per Duke Basketball picture on twitter.

weezie
02-01-2015, 10:03 AM
I thought Shulman and Bilas were going with the various story lines of the game in front of them. Int he first half it was that Duke was shredding the Virginia defense by going to the rim. Then there was the suffocating pressure of the Virginia defense and Virginia's new-found ability to run its offense. Then there was the breathtaking turn-around, which started with a "Oh, lookee here -- Dukes within four." Which was just what I thought at home.

Maybe Shulman was just enjoying the experience of breathing extra oxygen since he normally gets paired with Vitale. In all likelihood, Bilas knows exactly what is going on in the halls surrounding Cameron these past few weeks, he's still a Duke man. Lots of emotion in that game on both sides far beyond the actual court or really against each other.

At one point, even here at home, we looked at each other shocked that we were actually ahead, the game was that intense.

CDu
02-01-2015, 10:17 AM
That's what I saw as well. No matter how you slice it, that's a push! Should have been offsetting technicals.

First, no technical fouls were called. Winslow was called for a flagrant 1 foul for excessive and unnecessary contact. And that was correct. Anderson was not, because his contact was mot excessive.

Nothing Anderson did warranted Winslow grab Anderson's foot with both hands and wrap his legs around Anderson's leg. It was a cheap and dirty play by Winslow, I suspect in part due to frustration and in part an attempt to keep Anderson from leaking out in transition. The correct call was made on the play.

Thankfully, Winslow and the team survived that moment of weakness to pull off the win. But Winslow was the one in the wrong there.

MPandolfi
02-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Couldn't agree with you more...and I live in Boston and cheer for the Pats!

SoCalDukeFan
02-01-2015, 10:22 AM
As I watched the game, I was flipping between DBR chat & the in-game thread. I know how worried I was at times watching the game, but the negativity I was reading was really getting me down. I was as frustrated by those who were criticizing the team's skills and abilities, the coaches' decisions, the officiating as I was at the way the game was going. It was making me give up any hope I might have. Being down 11 points didn't help, either :-)

Boy, am I glad all those experts were wrong, and that this team and coach found a way to dig deep and pull off the very difficult win. Go Duke!

Next play.....

I was on my ipad and not logged in so could not get in but it is disappointing to read the team's skills and coaches decisions were criticized.

I am not one of those who thinks K is perfect, but the plan to run before the defense could set up was great. Not sure what was criticized but hard for me to see how the coaches' decisions could be. The team's skills are the team's skills. No reason to criticize them. I guess its natural to criticize the officials.

This is hardly the first time the "experts" were wrong.

Looking ahead, we must keep the mo against Wake and not have a post great win let down.

SoCal

SoCal

slower
02-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Finally Cook becomes a leader.

Seriously? Do you even WATCH the games?

CDu
02-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Yeah, the decision to push the tempo at every chance possible was wise as it played to some of our strengths while avoiding some of their strengths.

I thought that we handled their halfcourt defense pretty well, too (just that shots weren't falling from 3 for much of the game). But anytime we can avoid playing against UVa's set defense is a good idea to do so.

I thought both teams played really well overall. Only Okafor, Jefferson, and Allen struggled UVa's half-court defense. The rest of the team played with great poise on offense, if not always with great results.

But it was always going to be a dogfight for us, because UVa is so strong defensively. And we were always going to need our 3s to start falling to secure the win. I couldn't see much flaw in the gameplan or the play; just sometimes the results weren't optimal.

DukeDevil
02-01-2015, 10:32 AM
I don't know why I did it, and now I need a hot shower, but I popped over to IC and found this gem.

_____ wrote: Hate D*** as much as anyone but thats an impressive win. Their 2nd half schedule sets up pretty nicely to make a run at the regular season title.
_____ wrote: Bet that makes you feel all warm and tingly inside.

heh.

conmanlhughes
02-01-2015, 10:35 AM
I seem to remember a similar very exciting game last year before the Super Bowl. @Syracuse??? I find it hard to believe that the Super Bowl will surpass how exciting this game was.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Obviously a great and somewhat surprising victory. So important for development of this team.

Not much to add, but was pleased to see Greyson NOT try to do too much. He seems to have a tendency push when he is on the floor, but appeared to let the game come to him.

I will be among those rooting for UVa to lose on Monday to give us the opportunity to move up the standings.

Go Duke!
Go Seahawks!

Devilwin
02-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Obviously a great and somewhat surprising victory. So important for development of this team.

Not much to add, but was pleased to see Greyson NOT try to do too much. He seems to have a tendency push when he is on the floor, but appeared to let the game come to him.

I will be among those rooting for UVa to lose on Monday to give us the opportunity to move up the standings.

Go Duke!
Go Seahawks!

Exactly...It's for Duke to move up, not UNC glory.

slower
02-01-2015, 11:18 AM
You know, I didn't mind that play by Justise (yeah, I know it was a foul and was costly). Winslow showed plenty of fight; we've lost games to teams that were physically stronger than us and they've woofed and celebrated their physical dominance. Anderson is not one of my favorite players (rough and very expressive) and Winslow was not going to be pushed around.

Glad to have you back, Justise; you add a lot to this team. **note to add after seeing the Meagher reference -- I like having a bit of Meagher on Duke teams, and I suspect Coach K does, too.

Amen, brother. There's a LOT that goes on during games that guys have to tolerate. Borderline-legal screens and picks , all-around rough play and opponents with "attitude" (looking at you, Nolte and Anderson) would make most of us lose our cool. I love, love, LOVE Justise and his fire. Don't ever change, young man!

CDu
02-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Amen, brother. There's a LOT that goes on during games that guys have to tolerate. Borderline-legal screens and picks , all-around rough play and opponents with "attitude" (looking at you, Nolte and Anderson) would make most of us lose our cool. I love, love, LOVE Justise and his fire. Don't ever change, young man!

I agree with the sentiment, but disagree with the action. That wasn't a show of toughness by Winslow. It was the opposite.

Winslow had several plays where he got physical and played tough. Like giving a cutter a chest bump. Like fighting through screens. Grabbing a guy's leg from behind is not showing toughness.

bob blue devil
02-01-2015, 11:34 AM
I don't know why I did it, and now I need a hot shower, but I popped over to IC and found this gem.

_____ wrote: Hate D*** as much as anyone but thats an impressive win. Their 2nd half schedule sets up pretty nicely to make a run at the regular season title.
_____ wrote: Bet that makes you feel all warm and tingly inside.

heh.

That's doubly awesome because our remaining schedule includes two games with ewe n see! I guess it does set up nicely for us!

Furniture
02-01-2015, 11:48 AM
No. In fact I thought Bilas was proud of the resilience his alma mater had in beating Virginia.

That's the way I saw it. After the game I thought he spoke with a hint of Duke pride in his comments.

slower
02-01-2015, 11:57 AM
The Tyus Jones shot was the cherry on the sundae -- Duke was in a winning position. The Austin Rivers shot snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

Hey, last night was awesome. But there's not much, short of a natty, that beats Rivers' shot and the ensuing shock, wailing and rending of garments in Holeville.

duke96
02-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Hey, last night was awesome. But there's not much, short of a natty, that beats Rivers' shot and the ensuing shock, wailing and rending of garments in Holeville.

This is true, although for me really really liking Tyus Jones (both in terms of his game and budding leadership) differentiates this moment in a nice way.

slower
02-01-2015, 12:04 PM
I agree with the sentiment, but disagree with the action. That wasn't a show of toughness by Winslow. It was the opposite.

Winslow had several plays where he got physical and played tough. Like giving a cutter a chest bump. Like fighting through screens. Grabbing a guy's leg from behind is not showing toughness.

Sure, I agree with the specifics of what you said. But if those occasional lapses are what we have to live with to get the whole package, I'll take it.

CDu
02-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Truer words were never spoke!

CDu
02-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Sure, I agree with the specifics of what you said. But if those occasional lapses are what we have to live with to get the whole package, I'll take it.

Sure, I am not saying to cut the kid. Just would really prefer my team's toughness show up in non-dirty ways.

g-money
02-01-2015, 12:17 PM
This was a huge win, an awesome game and a great comeback, but I would take the UNC championship, the Creighton game, the Rivers game all as bigger wins.

While it's entirely possible that I'm suffering from recency bias, let's wait til the end of the season to put this win in perspective and make a final call.

If we end up flaming out in the first round of the NCAAT this year, then I agree the Rivers game will have been a bigger win. However, if we end up making a deep run in March, I think we'll all remember this game as having brought our season back from the brink in what was ultimately a bigger year for Duke basketball.

I guess I'm claiming that context matters. Not that y'all have to agree with me.

wilson
02-01-2015, 12:18 PM
That's the way I saw it. After the game I thought he spoke with a hint of Duke pride in his comments.I agree as well. Jay was borderline ebullient in his comments on Duke's toughness, resolve, and execution after the game. Even the SportsCenter guys commented on it.

NSDukeFan
02-01-2015, 12:25 PM
While it's entirely possible that I'm suffering from recency bias, let's wait til the end of the season to put this win in perspective and make a final call.

If we end up flaming out in the first round of the NCAAT this year, then I agree the Rivers game will have been a bigger win. However, if we end up making a deep run in March, I think we'll all remember this game as having brought our season back from the brink in what was ultimately a bigger year for Duke basketball.

I guess I'm claiming that context matters. Not that y'all have to agree with me.

I believe if the team makes a deep run, there will be a game in the tournament, e.g. Baylor, Purdue, West Virginia in 2010 that will be remembered as much or more than most regular season ones, even great ones (ok 82-50 sure was fun.)

Kedsy
02-01-2015, 12:25 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth. To me this was our biggest win as a program since 4/2010. I know there have been some great wins in between, but I can't remember one in which so much was at stake.

Well, it was probably our biggest win since this year's Louisville game. I'd understand someone saying this was our most impressive win since 2010 (although I'm not even sure I'd agree with that, and if so it's only a smidgen ahead of several other wins), but I don't understand what makes this game so important or was at stake here.

It was an emotional week for the team, and I'm happy the players learned they can win without Rasheed, but with the win we're still 2 games behind in the ACC standings and still have a great deal of work to do before getting back into the picture as a potential #1 seed. From that standpoint it's not a particularly important win at all, or no more so than any other win over a big-time opponent.

For example, this year's road win over Louisville, following a disastrous two-game stretch and in which we played zone for the first time in ever, is probably at least as important a game as this one, if not more important. The second Syracuse game last year, the Ryan Kelly return game against Miami in 2013, the Austin Rivers game in 2012, the ACC championship game in 2011 -- they all seemed to have more at stake than last night's game against Virginia. Plus probably any NCAAT win after the first round.

It was a really good win. I think attempting to characterize it as historic is going too far.

Acymetric
02-01-2015, 12:28 PM

Nope. Definitely will be pulling for UVA in that one, I will never pull for the heels. I would rather Virgina lose to one or two of the ACC bubble teams to help push them into the tourney...that I can pull for.

weezie
02-01-2015, 12:28 PM

I'm leaving instructions for my family to play that video at my wake to make absolutely sure that I am a goner. :)

wilson
02-01-2015, 12:32 PM
I believe if the team makes a deep run, there will be a game in the tournament, e.g. Baylor, Purdue, West Virginia in 2010 that will be remembered as much or more than most regular season ones, even great ones (ok 82-50 sure was fun.)I believe to this day that Andre's two threes straddling halftime in the Baylor game were the two most pivotal plays in that championship run.

grossbus
02-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Speaking of the ever-amusing IC...

After they lost, a thread was started encouraging UVa to "do their job."

They got quite nasty to the hoo's by the end of the game.

freshmanjs
02-01-2015, 12:44 PM
still have a great deal of work to do before getting back into the picture as a potential #1 seed.

This is true, of course -- for us and all other teams (except KY). I think we are better positioned for a #1 seed than it may appear. We just went 4-1 against the toughest stretch of the schedule. We have 3 top 10 road wins (and may have a chance to get another one vs UNC). The schedule is much more favorable in the back half of conference play. If we end ACC play with 5 conference losses (which seems very possible to me), then we will be right there for a #1 seed.

slower
02-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Sure, I am not saying to cut the kid. Just would really prefer my team's toughness show up in non-dirty ways.

Haha - ok, you win! Uncle!!

You're obviously a much more mature adult than I am (although, that's not hard to achieve). :p

gurufrisbee
02-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Couldn't agree with you more...and I live in Boston and cheer for the Pats!

I totally agree and I'm in Seattle and a huge Hawks fan!

azzefkram
02-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Well, it was probably our biggest win since this year's Louisville game. I'd understand someone saying this was our most impressive win since 2010 (although I'm not even sure I'd agree with that, and if so it's only a smidgen ahead of several other wins), but I don't understand what makes this game so important or was at stake here.

It was an emotional week for the team, and I'm happy the players learned they can win without Rasheed, but with the win we're still 2 games behind in the ACC standings and still have a great deal of work to do before getting back into the picture as a potential #1 seed. From that standpoint it's not a particularly important win at all, or no more so than any other win over a big-time opponent.

For example, this year's road win over Louisville, following a disastrous two-game stretch and in which we played zone for the first time in ever, is probably at least as important a game as this one, if not more important. The second Syracuse game last year, the Ryan Kelly return game against Miami in 2013, the Austin Rivers game in 2012, the ACC championship game in 2011 -- they all seemed to have more at stake than last night's game against Virginia. Plus probably any NCAAT win after the first round.

It was a really good win. I think attempting to characterize it as historic is going too far.

Yeah, historic is a bit much but I think you are poo-pooing the win too much. A loss would have put a fork in any regular season champ hopes. It would have given us a second two game losing streak which probably isn't the best thing for a young team coming off a tough week. I also don't think the work we have to do for a potential #1 seed is any more than any other team not named Kentucky.

BD80
02-01-2015, 01:43 PM
... I also don't think the work we have to do for a potential #1 seed is any more than any other team not named Kentucky.

Arizona, Wisconsin, Villanova, Gonzaga. Their schedules don't have many losses in store for any of them.

ND, Louisville, UVA and Duke have to finish the ACC schedule AND the ACC tourney

dukelion
02-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Not crazy about some of the national articles that seem to suggest that the Cavs lost this game more than we won it.

That narrative seems to boil down to the fact that they controlled the majority of the game and we simply got hot late from three to steal the victory.

I would hope most journos would realize that Duke led for the majority of the game including a sizeable lead in the first half. Also, seems everyone just assumed that Duke going 0-9 from three was the norm and that it was essentially a miracle that we hit a bunch of shots late.

But hard to argue 3 top 10 road wins.......that'll be our best argument for a 1 seed come tourney time.

kAzE
02-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed (I skimmed the last 5 or so pages), but I just thought it was worth mentioning that Amile Jefferson has played just 37 minutes in our last 2 games combined, and has been relatively ineffective in both of those contests (6 points, 7 rebounds combined). He was absolutely huge in our last road win over a top 10 opponent at Louisville, so this recent stretch is kind of surprising. I wonder if he's dealing with some sort of minor injury or something.... It would be a big boost if he started playing like himself again.

Bob Green
02-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed (I skimmed the last 5 or so pages), but I just thought it was worth mentioning that Amile Jefferson has played just 37 minutes in our last 2 games combined, and has been relatively ineffective in both of those contests (6 points, 7 rebounds combined). He was absolutely huge in our last road win over a top 10 opponent at Louisville, so this recent stretch is kind of surprising. I wonder if he's dealing with some sort of minor injury or something.... It would be a big boost if he started playing like himself again.

Jefferson was absolutely mauled in the St. John's game so it isn't a stretch to believe he may be dealing with some sort of minor injury.

Duke76
02-01-2015, 02:25 PM
I believe to this day that Andre's two threes straddling halftime in the Baylor game were the two most pivotal plays in that championship run.

people tend to forget....I agree with your point...kinda like Billy Mccaffrey's contributions,,,still believe we would have won another natty if he had stayed...ended up hurting him basketball wise and us

richardjackson199
02-01-2015, 02:47 PM
people tend to forget....I agree with your point...kinda like Billy Mccaffrey's contributions,,,still believe we would have won another natty if he had stayed...ended up hurting him basketball wise and us

Didn't hurt us much in the short term. We did win another natty the very next year after McCaffrey left.

He did ok basketball wise as well - he was a 2 time All American at Vandy

NashvilleDevil
02-01-2015, 02:47 PM
I believe to this day that Andre's two threes straddling halftime in the Baylor game were the two most pivotal plays in that championship run.

I watched that Baylor game a couple of months ago and his first three was really early in the game when Duke had a lead. Now his second three was right before halftime and probably saved the season since Baylor was on a run and I believe got the lead to seven or so.

wilson
02-01-2015, 03:02 PM
I watched that Baylor game a couple of months ago and his first three was really early in the game when Duke had a lead. Now his second three was right before halftime and probably saved the season since Baylor was on a run and I believe got the lead to seven or so.Youre right...Andre's second three cut the lead to 3 points, 35-32 Baylor, heading into halftime after a 10-0 Baylor run. The post-halftime three I remembered was actually Jon Scheyer, connecting in the first post-break possession to knot the game at 35.

KandG
02-01-2015, 03:18 PM
I would hope most journos would realize that Duke led for the majority of the game including a sizeable lead in the first half.

Duke led for just under 17 minutes, not "the majority of the game" by anyone's math.

Also, nine points might be a "sizeable lead" by your standards, but the lead was cut to two after 3 minutes, and stayed within one to two possessions the rest of the first half. The lead vanished immediately upon the start of the second half and wasn't regained until 1:20 left in the game.

It may be that some media members underemphasized the things Duke did well to win the game, but not sure re-spinning things IC-style to make this all about a dominant Duke performance being downplayed by the big bad national media is a valid alternative.

wilson
02-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Duke led for just under 17 minutes, not "the majority of the game" by anyone's math.

Also, nine points might be a "sizeable lead" by your standards, but the lead was cut to two after 3 minutes, and stayed within one to two possessions the rest of the first half. The lead vanished immediately upon the start of the second half and wasn't regained until 1:20 left in the game.

It may be that some media members underemphasized the things Duke did well to win the game, but not sure re-spinning things IC-style to make this all about a dominant Duke performance being downplayed by the big bad national media is a valid alternative.Fair enough, but if a 9-point lead for Duke in the first half shouldn't be considered "sizeable," then neither should Virginia's second-half lead that was 11 points at its largest. Perhaps there's accounting for the lateness of Virginia's lead, but overall I'd say the game was rather even, with each team enjoying stretches of seemingly comfortable control.

KandG
02-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Fair enough, but if a 9-point lead for Duke in the first half shouldn't be considered "sizeable," then neither should Virginia's second-half lead that was 11 points at its largest. Perhaps there's accounting for the lateness of Virginia's lead, but overall I'd say the game was rather even, with each team enjoying stretches of seemingly comfortable control.

It's not accounting for the "lateness" of the lead. It's accounting for Virginia being undefeated and the 2nd best defensive team in the country, playing at home. An eleven point lead by that standard -- one held for longer stretches in the 2nd half, gained on the strength of holding Duke to 8 points in 13 minutes -- should resonate more with pundits than a 9 point lead held by the 50th ranked defensive team in the country for a brief period in the first half. Especially since said team just blew a ten point second half lead on the road a few nights before.

All semantics of course, but announcers and pundits felt more confident in Virginia for valid reasons. Coach K himself said it about Virginia after the game: "What an amazing setting to celebrate their basketball program, which should be celebrated. ... They're so deserving of all the good stuff that's been said about them.". Of course, all the more reason Duke should now be lauded for coming back in such spectacular fashion. But not to the point that we can now say Duke knew they had it in the bag and that it was a "rather even" game.

azzefkram
02-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Arizona, Wisconsin, Villanova, Gonzaga. Their schedules don't have many losses in store for any of them.

ND, Louisville, UVA and Duke have to finish the ACC schedule AND the ACC tourney

Az or Gonzaga will get the West though why Gonzaga is in the mix is a mystery to me. Their best win is SMU, whose best win is Temple. Good wins but hardly marquee. Other than that there are a whole lot of BCs on their schedule. Wisconsin has one loss less than us and their best win is OK. A marquee win on a neutral court but pales in comparison to our three road wins. Villanova has some Stanford/MSU type wins on their resume but again nothing marquee.

Our resume is pretty impressive and we have the opportunity to add to it. Can we back into a 1 seed? No, but no one should expect to. I think we control our own destiny and I can't ask for more than that.

roywhite
02-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Top Plays: Duke 69 Virginia 63 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIDSCD_i6kM)

From Duke BluePlanet

Great plays from a great win.

Troublemaker
02-01-2015, 06:17 PM

I think it was a stylistic choice by Coach K instead of an injury hampering Amile. Instead of playing Amile / MP3 more and (at least theoretically) upgrading Duke's rebounding and defense against UVA's conventional frontcourt, Coach K opted to go small, surround Jahlil with shooters (even playing Grayson for 11 minutes), push in transition and try to win the battle of Duke's offense vs UVA's defense. This is completely opposite of how I would've approached it, btw, but that's why Coach K has 1001 wins and I'm a clown car mechanic.

Duke's offense won the battle. Our guys put up 1.17 PPP against UVA's defense, the best performance against the Cavaliers this season, including shooting 58% on 2-pt shots against the vaunted packline that usually holds opponents to 38% on 2-pt shots.

slower
02-01-2015, 06:21 PM

From Duke BluePlanet

That video led me to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRS9AvJz5pU

Perhaps fittingly, this is how I'll remember Sheed. Part of the family forever.

Troublemaker
02-01-2015, 06:21 PM

From Duke BluePlanet

I love how Jahlil, Tyus, and Justise seem to be such great friends. It's a special freshman class.

DBFAN
02-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Waited until today to comment. In my opinion the change to the 3-2 was brilliant. Not just that we changed it but the timing of it. You do it too soon and the other team adjusts. It took UVA by surprise and not enough time tinfigure it out. I don't think in any way that we stole this one. It was more phenomenal that we didn't hit a 3 until that late in the game

Newton_14
02-01-2015, 07:38 PM

Next play.....

Agree and it needs to stop. And it's going to stop or folks are going to have lots of extra infractions on their records. It's ridiculous and childish. The entitlement mindset is appalling. We were playing the undefeated and Number 2 team in the country at their place... what, we are supposed to run them out of their own gym or else? Zero tolerance for mistakes by anyone in a Duke jersey?? It's absurd. This isn't IC, though one would hardly know the difference reading some in-game threads...

ncexnyc
02-01-2015, 07:39 PM
I think it was a stylistic choice by Coach K instead of an injury hampering Amile. Instead of playing Amile / MP3 more and (at least theoretically) upgrading Duke's rebounding and defense against UVA's conventional frontcourt, Coach K opted to go small, surround Jahlil with shooters (even playing Grayson for 11 minutes), push in transition and try to win the battle of Duke's offense vs UVA's defense. This is completely opposite of how I would've approached it, btw, but that's why Coach K has 1001 wins and I'm a clown car mechanic.

Duke's offense won the battle. Our guys put up 1.17 PPP against UVA's defense, the best performance against the Cavaliers this season, including shooting 58% on 2-pt shots against the vaunted packline that usually holds opponents to 38% on 2-pt shots.

I was thinking this as well. While Amile provides us with solid defense and rebounding, against a team like UVA we needed some offense.

With the way UVA was controlling Jah, we had to have players on the court who were a threat to score from the outside and Amile just can't give us that. It's extremely disheartening to see Amile catch a pass near the foul line for what appears to be a wide open look at the basket only to have him turn his back and hand the ball off to one of the criss crossing guards. Going forward if teams are going to take Jah out of the equation then we need to make them pay for it by having people who can score from either the outside or by being able to put the ball on the floor and getting to the rim.

MCFinARL
02-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Agree and it needs to stop. And it's going to stop or folks are going to have lots of extra infractions on their records. It's ridiculous and childish. The entitlement mindset is appalling. We were playing the undefeated and Number 2 team in the country at their place... what, we are supposed to run them out of their own gym or else? Zero tolerance for mistakes by anyone in a Duke jersey?? It's absurd. This isn't IC, though one would hardly know the difference reading some in-game threads...

Not that I disagree overall, but isn't the value of the chat (as opposed to the in-game thread, where I completely agree) that people have the opportunity to vent without there being a permanent record of remarks they might regret on reflection? Granted, I was not in in-game chat for the UVa game (too nervous, had to concentrate), so I don't know how it was, but in previous in-game chats people have sometimes criticized payers' decisions and coaching strategies. Isn't that okay, in that space, as long as people aren't calling names/grossly overstating the criticisms?

Newton_14
02-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Not that I disagree overall, but isn't the value of the chat (as opposed to the in-game thread, where I completely agree) that people have the opportunity to vent without there being a permanent record of remarks they might regret on reflection? Granted, I was not in in-game chat for the UVa game (too nervous, had to concentrate), so I don't know how it was, but in previous in-game chats people have sometimes criticized payers' decisions and coaching strategies. Isn't that okay, in that space, as long as people aren't calling names/grossly overstating the criticisms?

Yes, I was speaking directly to the in-game threads, not the in-game chats. Some venting is allowed in chat, as is salty language to a degree. The stuff in the in-game threads is what needs to stop.

jv001
02-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Yes, I was speaking directly to the in-game threads, not the in-game chats. Some venting is allowed in chat, as is salty language to a degree. The stuff in the in-game threads is what needs to stop.

I couldn't spork you, but here's a GoDuke!:cool: The only difference between in game and chat is the language. Usually I wait until the next day to begin posting. I like to look at the box score before I make a fool out of myself. Most times, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was while watching the game live. GoDuke!

killerleft
02-01-2015, 09:23 PM
First, no technical fouls were called. Winslow was called for a flagrant 1 foul for excessive and unnecessary contact. And that was correct. Anderson was not, because his contact was mot excessive.

Nothing Anderson did warranted Winslow grab Anderson's foot with both hands and wrap his legs around Anderson's leg. It was a cheap and dirty play by Winslow, I suspect in part due to frustration and in part an attempt to keep Anderson from leaking out in transition. The correct call was made on the play.

Thankfully, Winslow and the team survived that moment of weakness to pull off the win. But Winslow was the one in the wrong there.

Eh- in the English Premier League that's just a professional foul. He held him up, no intent to hurt, not much chance of it hurting Anderson. Not really brainy, though, I'll admit.

Furniture
02-01-2015, 10:38 PM

I think you have to take those comments in the game DBR chat with a grain of salt. They are spontaneous comments in the heat of the moment.
Please don't go there.......

duketaylor
02-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Tomorrow's game in chapel hell is very important and intriguing. The ACC schedule the next two weeks is equaling interesting. Whether certain teams can separate themselves from others and make cases for NCAA seeding will play out. Lunardi should be having fun with our conference. Duke should be, IMHO, about the 3rd or 4th overall seed. That's just through this weekend. Wins at Wisky, Louisville and UVA should offset any other argument about any of the 3 losses. Maybe Duke's higher, but not so sure.

Furniture
02-01-2015, 11:08 PM

The UNC Rivers game was the only game ever that my wife and I jumped off the sofa after Austin made that basket (my wife is a mild Duke fan). No way does this game top that. Well at least IMHO.

sagegrouse
02-01-2015, 11:29 PM
The UNC Rivers game was the only game ever that my wife and I jumped off the sofa after Austin made that basket (my wife is a mild Duke fan). No way does this game top that. Well at least IMHO.

As a one-shot miracle against a rival, the UNC game can't be topped. Of course, there are very few two-shot miracle games, and the UNC game was one of those,. It wasn't just the Rivers shot; it was the "own goal" by Tyler Zeller a minute before that gave Duke a chance. But that game was not as meaningful as the UVa game because Virginia was ranked #2 and was unbeaten and Duke is a top-five team. In 2012 Carolina was #5 and Duke #10 and -- in hindsight -- we were not going anywhere.

I was sitting on the same sofa and both games were unbelievable experiences. But I felt we earned the victory against UVa, while the Carolina game was more of a fluke.

Kindly,
Sage
'Well, I was also at the Art Heyman-Larry Brown fight game in 1961 and that was quite an experience'

Kedsy
02-01-2015, 11:55 PM
In 2012 Carolina was #5 and Duke #10 and -- in hindsight -- we were not going anywhere.

Since we don't now have the benefit of hindsight for this season, is it fair to employ it when comparing the two games?

On February 8, 2012, we had in our previous game lost to Miami at home, putting us a full game behind UNC. Austin Rivers's shot pulled us back into a first place tie with the Heels. Meaning, at the time, it was a much more critical game to the standings than this year's UVa game was. We were #10 in the polls because we'd just lost, but the win over UNC plus another win over Maryland later that week pushed us back up to #5, and back into the conversation for a #1 seed. Using more immediate hindsight (rather than looking ahead to our eventual post-season failure after Ryan Kelly's injury), the UNC win propelled us to a 7-game winning streak and a #4 ranking going into our final home game. Had we beaten UNC a second time, we were in a really good position for a #1 seed, and then (who knows?) we might have gone somewhere.

If you compare apples-to-apples, I just don't see how yesterday's win could be our most important win in [insert time frame here]. It was a really good win but, personally, I'm going to leave it at that.

NYBri
02-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Not crazy about some of the national articles that seem to suggest that the Cavs lost this game more than we won it.

That narrative seems to boil down to the fact that they controlled the majority of the game and we simply got hot late from three to steal the victory.

I would hope most journos would realize that Duke led for the majority of the game including a sizeable lead in the first half. Also, seems everyone just assumed that Duke going 0-9 from three was the norm and that it was essentially a miracle that we hit a bunch of shots late.

But hard to argue 3 top 10 road wins.......that'll be our best argument for a 1 seed come tourney time.

National articles can write whatever they want as long as their last headline of the season is, "Duke wins it all!"

KandG
02-02-2015, 12:26 AM

I remember being surprised when in-game threads were allowed on this forum. (I know it's been a while, but still) I'm too much of a cynic, I guess, but my experience with most anything that's posted during a game - involving any fan base - leads people to post impulsively, even if they're reminded frequently to check themselves on specific damaging comments about players/coaching. Even the most rational, polite people I know turn neurotic or borderline hostile worrying over the outcome of a game involving their favorite team, and unleash weird energy in all directions. :-)

That's why I avoid most game threads, except maybe occasionally IC after a loss. I admit I've posted semi-mean things on the game threads here once in a blue moon, more to share in misery with other Duke fans, but I always feel bad about it afterward. That said, the standard here is higher than the vast majority of fan forums, but sports is sports.

weezie
02-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Best part of DBR chat is wholeheartedly lambasting the referees. I mean, with gusto!

DukeDevil
02-02-2015, 08:25 AM
I missed a page or two of this thread, but I don't recall this being said so far (in so many words).

I felt that K absolutely outcoached Bennett in this game. I know that it seems a little silly to say (GOAT, 1K wins and all that) but as much as it's been said that he was outcoached in some of our losses this year, I really felt he deserved credit for this one. The up tempo fast push to drive to the basket after missed and made shots by UVA really caught them off guard. The mixing up of the man to man, then 2/3 zone, then 3/2 zone out of nowhere really seemed to push UVA out of their comfort zone every time a new wrinkle was introduced. The other side of it is that he clearly came in with a gameplan to take on UVA, and despite all the emotional turmoil of the past week, he got the whole team to buy into it and execute. Impressive.

wilson
02-02-2015, 08:34 AM
I missed a page or two of this thread, but I don't recall this being said so far (in so many words).

I felt that K absolutely outcoached Bennett in this game. I know that it seems a little silly to say (GOAT, 1K wins and all that) but as much as it's been said that he was outcoached in some of our losses this year, I really felt he deserved credit for this one. The up tempo fast push to drive to the basket after missed and made shots by UVA really caught them off guard. The mixing up of the man to man, then 2/3 zone, then 3/2 zone out of nowhere really seemed to push UVA out of their comfort zone every time a new wrinkle was introduced. The other side of it is that he clearly came in with a gameplan to take on UVA, and despite all the emotional turmoil of the past week, he got the whole team to buy into it and execute. Impressive.Nice observation, and I agree. Shane Battier said at some point this past week that Coach K is at his best when the team is experiencing some kind of turmoil. I know that I clung to that quote a fair bit during the week, trying to think hopefully of things like the adjustments made after Carlos Boozer's 2001 injury instead of worrying about the possibility of a downward spiral for the remainder of the season. However, I have to confess that I thought all along that UVA had significantly better than a 50% chance of winning on Saturday night.
One of the things I've loved most about watching Coach K teams for so long has been K's tactical flexibility. There's nothing wrong with a more system-oriented coach who targets recruits that fit his style, but I have enjoyed the way that K simply recruits players and young men, and then builds his system around their talents and relationships. The switch to the zone this year has been one of the more prominent examples of tactical flexibility, but we've been treated to numerous such tweaks and adaptations over the years.

tdrake51
02-02-2015, 08:46 AM

I felt that K absolutely outcoached Bennett in this game. I know that it seems a little silly to say (GOAT, 1K wins and all that) but as much as it's been said that he was outcoached in some of our losses this year, I really felt he deserved credit for this one. The up tempo fast push to drive to the basket after missed and made shots by UVA really caught them off guard. The mixing up of the man to man, then 2/3 zone, then 3/2 zone out of nowhere really seemed to push UVA out of their comfort zone every time a new wrinkle was introduced. The other side of it is that he clearly came in with a gameplan to take on UVA, and despite all the emotional turmoil of the past week, he got the whole team to buy into it and execute. Impressive.

I really feel like switching up the zones sped UVA up. They were settling for long 2s with plenty of time on the shot clock.

Troublemaker
02-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Waited until today to comment. In my opinion the change to the 3-2 was brilliant. Not just that we changed it but the timing of it. You do it too soon and the other team adjusts. It took UVA by surprise and not enough time to figure it out.

Agreed. Going to the 3-2 (or 1-2-2) at that stage of the game was a cold-blooded maneuver by Coach K. UVA had extra preparation time for this game and in the second half had both our man2man and 2-3 zone completely figured out. They were scoring with ease against the only two defenses we've shown in recent games. But, aha! Coach K threw in a curveball with the 3-2 zone down the stretch, and it bought us a few defensive stops while Duke's offense was starting to heat up. No change to the 3-2, no victory for Duke, imo. In one of the postgame interviews (might've been Coach K's himself), it was said that Duke had just implemented the 3-2 the day before the game. For Coach K to keep that in his back pocket and unleash it then, wow. It was just a filthy Clayton Kershaw-esque curveball at a crucial time.

budwom
02-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Not sure if it's mentioned in this thread, but in the first 30+ minutes of the game, Duke scored 34 points (trailed 45-34).

In the final 9:36 Duke scored 35 points, more than the first three quarters of game combined. I'll have to check with KenPom and his ilk, but
I suspect this had something to do with winning the game...

jv001
02-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Not sure if it's mentioned in this thread, but in the first 30+ minutes of the game, Duke scored 34 points (trailed 45-34).

In the final 9:36 Duke scored 35 points, more than the first three quarters of game combined. I'll have to check with KenPom and his ilk, but

I'm sure the switching of defenses Coach K went to had something to do with Virginia only scoring 18 points over that period. Please check on that with KenPom when you get him. :cool: GoDuke!

freshmanjs
02-02-2015, 09:10 AM

what does Duke playing great for the final quarter of the game have to do with the dig at KenPom?

DukeDevil
02-02-2015, 09:52 AM
what does Duke playing great for the final quarter of the game have to do with the dig at KenPom?

I don't think it was a dig, I think he was just being facetious, like "dumb ole me can't tell if this huge offensive output late in the game was a significant factor, so I'll have to check the stats guys."

freshmanjs
02-02-2015, 09:53 AM
I don't think it was a dig, I think he was just being facetious, like "dumb ole me can't tell if this huge offensive output late in the game was a significant factor, so I'll have to check the stats guys."

perhaps...but, i usually see "and his ilk" used with negative connotation

budwom
02-02-2015, 10:03 AM

Thank you, that would be correct. I'm often surprised that relatively innocuous comments on this board can trigger indignation.

DukeDevil
02-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Thank you, that would be correct. I'm often surprised that relatively innocuous comments on this board can trigger indignation.

"RELATIVELY"? I've had relatives that have DIED in the past 30 years...how DARE you sir. *takes off glove* *slap* *throws on ground*. Tomorrow at first light, the choice of weapon is yours.

killerleft
02-02-2015, 10:27 AM
I remember being surprised when in-game threads were allowed on this forum. (I know it's been a while, but still) I'm too much of a cynic, I guess, but my experience with most anything that's posted during a game - involving any fan base - leads people to post impulsively, even if they're reminded frequently to check themselves on specific damaging comments about players/coaching. Even the most rational, polite people I know turn neurotic or borderline hostile worrying over the outcome of a game involving their favorite team, and unleash weird energy in all directions. :-)

That's why I avoid most game threads, except maybe occasionally IC after a loss. I admit I've posted semi-mean things on the game threads here once in a blue moon, more to share in misery with other Duke fans, but I always feel bad about it afterward. That said, the standard here is higher than the vast majority of fan forums, but sports is sports.

I agree with you. Most people who post on in-game threads, however, seem to understand that everybody's venting. Better than kicking the dog, I'm sure. But I sometimes get mad at some of the posts, so I avoid them until I forget myself and try again.:o

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Unbelievable, hard fought win. THAT's the type of Duke team I grew up watching in the 90's.

I don't know, this win had a very similar feel to the win at UNC on River's buzzer beater. Both were very satisfying.

edit - just read that many others felt the similarity too.

budwom
02-02-2015, 11:07 AM
"RELATIVELY"? I've had relatives that have DIED in the past 30 years...how DARE you sir. *takes off glove* *slap* *throws on ground*. Tomorrow at first light, the choice of weapon is yours.

I'm going to go with a snow shovel as my weapon as I've been using it constantly and we're having an official winter storm right now, so be advised I know how to use it! Forehand, backhand, stabbing motion, you name it.

BD80
02-02-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm going to go with a snow shovel as my weapon as I've been using it constantly and we're having an official winter storm right now, so be advised I know how to use it! Forehand, backhand, stabbing motion, you name it.

Do you resort to varying your strokes and throws just to relieve the boredom and to distribute the stress on the muscles/joints?

Or am I just getting old? [rhetorical questions need NOT be answered]

budwom
02-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Do you resort to varying your strokes and throws just to relieve the boredom and to distribute the stress on the muscles/joints?

Or am I just getting old? [rhetorical questions need NOT be answered]

Each stroke has a purpose given the terrain. I even have a backhand scrape move that is very handy on the deck. Goal one is to keep the aging back happy, so
bending the knees is the ultimate good habit. Just had to shovel a few minutes ago and am counting the minutes until PTI comes on and a Heady Topper can be snapped open.
Can't wait to hear the discussion on The Call (aka where have you gone Marshawn Lynch?)...

devildeac
02-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Each stroke has a purpose given the terrain. I even have a backhand scrape move that is very handy on the deck. Goal one is to keep the aging back happy, so
bending the knees is the ultimate good habit. Just had to shovel a few minutes ago and am counting the minutes until PTI comes on and a Heady Topper can be snapped open.
Can't wait to hear the discussion on The Call (aka where have you gone Marshawn Lynch?)...

I'd say snow is not the only thing budwom has been known to shovel but I don't want to threaten my Heady Topper supply:o.

I'll be very anxious to get home today after work and see/read what the newspaper and other media outlets have written/spoken.

alteran
02-02-2015, 03:57 PM

This is good rule. Also, never, ever pull for the cheats if you were born during or after 1963.

luvdahops
02-02-2015, 04:04 PM
I'd say snow is not the only thing budwom has been known to shovel but I don't want to threaten my Heady Topper supply:o.

I'll be very anxious to get home today after work and see/read what the newspaper and other media outlets have written/spoken.

I am reduced to Homer Simpson-like drooling and mumbling at the thought of Heady Topper.....