PDA

View Full Version : Phase IV Outlook Redux: Notre Dame to UNC

sagegrouse
01-31-2015, 01:26 PM
Our Phase IV Redux occurs after the 77-73 loss at Notre Dame and the astonishing dismissal of Rasheed Sulaimon from the team. How do things look from here? We need to take another look at Phase IV, which I am happy to do. The question is, do I get overtime pay?

Phase III, from BC to Pitt, Was a Roller-Coaster Ride. An undefeated Duke team suffers two crashing defeats and then responds with resounding victories at Top Ten Louisville and at home against a feisty Pitt team. Finally, the Devils deliver Coach K’s win number 1,000 with a heroic comeback against a tough and physical St. John’s team.

What Next after Rasheed? The last four games Rasheed averaged 20 minutes and five points. He was effective on offense mostly against Pitt (13 points). He didn’t score against the Cardinals and had a horrible game – save one beautiful steal and dunk – against the Irish. At his best Rasheed was the most dynamic player on the court. You could tell when he entered the game, just by his movement. He was at times an effective scorer on the break and from outside.

After Rasheed? Well, his 20 minutes per game have to go somewhere. Matt Jones (17 MPG) will get a few. The starters may play a bit more. I expect Marshall and Grayson to get more minutes, but I doubt that Grayson sees a lot of time on the floor against the Wahoos’ defense. Amile is averaging only 23 MPG and Justise is averaging 27. Both should show an increase in minutes and, in the right situations, Justise can play the shooting guard positions.

Will Duke Remain Free from Further Injuries? Well, we have had injuries – two to the same player, Justise Winslow, who has been hobbled by rib and shoulder injuries. He was effective, however, Notre Dame and continued improvement is essential for Phase IV. We cannot afford the loss of a key player from now on. There is one proven sub in the back court and one in the front court. This team is as thin as the 2010 team, and we know how that turned out. Wait! We like how that turned out! On injuries, so far so good. The injury bug has bugged out and we hope it remains in seclusion. Justise Winslow is banged up but should recover by the St. John’s game.

Will the Roller Coaster Ride Continue? OMG! It definitely has continued with an emotional loss to Notre Dame and the loss of Rasheed. The Notre Dame game was definitely winnable if we make our shots within two feet of the basket and 70 percent of our free throws.

The question is, “Have we now adjusted to the intensity of conference play and sail ahead or are more stormy seas ahead?” I think the team has emerged from a “trial by fire” and will play well in the games ahead. But playing well doesn’t guarantee a win against undefeated Virginia at the JPJ Arena. This is the latest in a number of strong tests for the Young Devils in this most interesting season. We feel good about the game, but… but Virginia is very tough and has had six days to prepare for Duke. In addition to lock-down defense, Virginia is shooting 39.5 percent from three-point range, just a shade a below Notre Dame. Can Duke’s offense, especially Jahlil on the inside and Quinn and Tyus on the outside, overcome the Cavalier defense?

Following Virginia, the Devils return home against Georgia Tech and (again) Notre Dame. The Notre Dame game will be huge for both teams, and I expect ND to play really well in Cameron. The fifth game in Phase IV is a visit to unpredictable Florida State. Then we have two big matchups: a visit to the Carrier Dome, where Duke lost in overtime last year and where the Devils face the Orange for the first time since Boeheim’s big blowup in Cameron last year. Then we host UNC on February 18. As of today, four-loss UNC (#8) is ahead of Duke (#9) in the KenPom rankings.

If Duke goes 4-3 or worse in Phase IV, then it has at least five losses and is likely headed for a Wednesday game in the ACC Tournament.

Whither the Defense? How much zone will we see? Will the defense improve as we enter the second half of the season? Will we miss the presence of Rasheed?

Of course, match-ups are important. Virginia is shooting 48.1 percent and 39.4% from three. Looks like man-to-man to this oracle. We should see some zone against the Hoos. If coach K wants to keep working on the zone, he has upcoming foes Georgia Tech and FSU, who are the poorest three-point shooters in the ACC (and the NCAA) at about 26%.

But let’s face it; we went to the zone because we were getting killed in man-to-man. A measure of the development of this Duke team is the reassertion of an effective MTM defense. These developments bear close watching.

Offense! Offense! Offense! That’s what the fans like, including the Grouse, and so does K. Our defense, he says, is better when we are making shots. Obvious explanations are (a) the run-out possibilities when opponents rebound our misses and (b) the psychological effects on both teams.

The first thing to be said about the Duke offense is that we are really going to miss Jahlil Okafor after this season. What a load! He will need other players to be productive on offense to remain consistent, but he seems to be money-in-the-bank on offense. And he is doing better at drawing fouls and making free throws. He is averaging eight FT’s a game in conference play and making over 70%.

Duke’s three-point shooting has been up-and-down in conference play. Here’s the series for the first six ACC games: 43%, 44%, 29%, 29%, 27%, and 48%. The outlier is our win at Louisville despite poor shooting from outside. These games were followed by 37% against St. John’s and 44% against Notre Dame. For the season Duke is fourth in the conference at 37.7%, which is a good percentage. Clearly 3-pt. percentage will be important going forward. As Earl Weaver used to say, “Doctor Longball!”

Free-throw shooting has become an asset. Duke is averaging 73.9 percent in ACC play, helped by Jah’s improvement. Quinn and Tyus have been outstanding at the line.

The Intangibles. Will Duke assert its will against other ACC teams on a consistent basis? This is the test for the freshman-laden Blue Devils in Phase IV.

Go Devils!
Sage Grouse

Kedsy
01-31-2015, 03:45 PM
The question is, do I get overtime pay?

Thanks for the redux, sage. I agree it's worth revisiting. But to answer your question, you should demand double what they paid you the first time. ;)

But let’s face it; we went to the zone because we were getting killed in man-to-man.

I actually thought the zone looked reasonably effective in short bursts against Notre Dame. Against a zone the rhythm of outside shots is different, and if they're not expecting it, players might miss even what look like open shots. So I think we'll see at least a little zone against Virginia, too.

He is averaging eight FT’s a game in conference play and making over 70%.

I realize you wrote the above before the St. John's game, but since conference play began, Jahlil is now down to 61.9% (64.3% in conference games only). And as he gets fouled more and more per game, his FT percentage represents a fairly large question mark for Duke going forward.

Duke’s three-point shooting has been up-and-down in conference play. Here’s the series for the first six ACC games: 43%, 44%, 29%, 29%, 27%, and 48%. The outlier is our win at Louisville despite poor shooting from outside. These games were followed by 37% against St. John’s and 44% against Notre Dame. For the season Duke is fourth in the conference at 37.7%, which is a good percentage. Clearly 3-pt. percentage will be important going forward. As Earl Weaver used to say, “Doctor Longball!”

This is where potentially we'll miss Rasheed the most. In games in which Quinn is off from distance, we're a mediocre three-point shooting team.

Free-throw shooting has become an asset. Duke is averaging 73.9 percent in ACC play, helped by Jah’s improvement. Quinn and Tyus have been outstanding at the line.

You jinxed us, man! Since you wrote the above, we've shot 59.6% from the line.

Seriously, whether free throw shooting is an asset in any particular game depends almost entirely on the ratio of Quinn+Tyus free throws to Jahlil+Amile+Justise free throws.

Saratoga2
01-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Is Duke a tough enough team?

By that I mean do we get back fast and contest every shot? Do we hustle and go strongly after rebounds? Do we get outmuscled inside?

I see Jahlil as a uniquely talented offensive center who does a lot in the rebounding arena but isn't quick getting back in transition (probably true of many big men). He is also not a shot blocker. Is it because he is nervous about or has been instructed to avoid fouling? Amile is a competent defender but doesn't have the big body to contest inside all that well. Against the bigs of teams like NC state he has to use guile to be effective inside. MP3 is an offensive liability but he has the energy and toughness inside that we otherwise seem to lack. Justise has been recovering from injuries and has not played with the energy and reckless abandon that marked his game in the early part of the season. Matt has some of that toughness but his offense is only so so. Despite his small size, I see Quinn and being tough enough to stick his nose in and come up with rebounds inside. Tyus and Grayson are more finesse players that tough players although Tyus will go in among the trees to score inside.

Too bad we don't have Sean to support Jahlil inside. He might just be the kind of guy that could intimidate other teams inside.

sagegrouse
01-31-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the redux, sage. I agree it's worth revisiting. But to answer your question, you should demand double what they paid you the first time. ;)

You jinxed us, man! Since you wrote the above, we've shot 59.6% from the line.

Seriously, whether free throw shooting is an asset in any particular game depends almost entirely on the ratio of Quinn+Tyus free throws to Jahlil+Amile+Justise free throws.

Thanks for the edits, Kedsy. I should have just edited out the statement on FT's, but I was rushing to post an updated Phase IV Outlook

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-31-2015, 07:55 PM
Allen getting in some good minutes, had a good drive and was fouled, took a good three within the offense and just that one bad pass at the end there that jah took the blame for. As he gets more comfortable we may have something here. Also he didnt look lost on D.

CDu
01-31-2015, 09:50 PM
Allen getting in some good minutes, had a good drive and was fouled, took a good three within the offense and just that one bad pass at the end there that jah took the blame for. As he gets more comfortable we may have something here. Also he didnt look lost on D.

I wouldn't say he had good minutes. He wasn't a complete wreck out there (just one turnover and another almost turnover, one nice move in transition, and one badly missed wide open 3). I would say it was just more of the non-descript same from him that we have seen in his ACC play. He and Plumlee were clearly a big step down from the rest.

jv001
01-31-2015, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't say he had good minutes. He wasn't a complete wreck out there (just one turnover and another almost turnover, one nice move in transition, and one badly missed wide open 3). I would say it was just more of the non-descript same from him that we have seen in his ACC play. He and Plumlee were clearly a big step down from the rest.

I think he had 11 minutes tonight. Coach K showed confidence in the young man. I hope he get's in some good practices so he can play in the home games coming up. I believe he'll more relaxed. GoDuke!

CDu
01-31-2015, 09:55 PM
I think he had 11 minutes tonight. Coach K showed confidence in the young man. I hope he get's in some good practices so he can play in the home games coming up. I believe he'll more relaxed. GoDuke!

Yes, he had a lot of minutes for him. My point was more about the quality of those minutes rather than the quantity.

jv001
01-31-2015, 10:00 PM
Yes, he had a lot of minutes for him. My point was more about the quality of those minutes rather than the quantity.

Oh, I agree about the quality of minutes. I was just glad to see Coach K play him for those 11 minutes. Showed confidence in Grayson. Now, I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity. GoDuke!

CDu
01-31-2015, 10:03 PM
Oh, I agree about the quality of minutes. I was just glad to see Coach K play him for those 11 minutes. Showed confidence in Grayson. Now, I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity. GoDuke!

I hope so too!

BobbyFan
01-31-2015, 10:54 PM
The first thing to be said about the Duke offense is that we are really going to miss Jahlil Okafor after this season. What a load! He will need other players to be productive on offense to remain consistent, but he seems to be money-in-the-bank on offense. And he is doing better at drawing fouls and making free throws.

It'll be interesting to see how we evolve against the more frequent Okafor double teams. He struggled today, although he made some nice plays later on. Virginia often would send the hard double only once Okafor put the ball on the floor, and their size impacted his passing lanes. Still, though, we could use better movement to give Okafor passing options immediately when the double comes and before the defense gets set. Otherwise, he's often relegated to trying to throw a long skip pass to a weak side shooter which, even if completed, gives the defense sufficient time to recover.

If Amile is in at the 4, it's key that he takes advantage of the looks he gets near the basket off of the doubles, because he does otherwise limit our spacing. The strategy gives me bad memories of the 99 title game, when Calhoun brought the double with his big men, and an offensively raw Battier couldn't capitalize on opportunities.

Kedsy
02-01-2015, 12:39 AM
It'll be interesting to see how we evolve against the more frequent Okafor double teams. He struggled today, although he made some nice plays later on. Virginia often would send the hard double only once Okafor put the ball on the floor, and their size impacted his passing lanes.

As Jay Bilas pointed out, when it comes to successfully doubling post players Virginia is probably the best in the country. Obviously Jahlil has to keep learning and keep evolving, but I'm not at all worried about his struggles tonight.

That said, if an opponent is aggressively doubling like UVa did, it might behoove young Mr. Okafor to set up closer to the basket. It's a lot harder against a double team if you catch the ball three feet outside the paint.

sagegrouse
02-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Well, since minutes are changing all the time, definitive answers are hard to come by. Here are some observations about what happened to Rasheed's 20 MPG in the ACC plus St. John's games:

Grayson: A big uptick. His minutes were 2.5 per game in the eight games before Rasheed left (ACC plus St. John's) and the last four games (without Rasheed) have averaged 10.3.

Quinn's and Tyus's playing time haven't seemed to change one whit -- and, since they hardly left the court, how could they? Both averaged 37 MPG in the eight games before Rasheed departed (ACC plus St. John's) and 37 MPG in the last four ACC games without Rasheed.

Matt: His minutes have increased from 17 to 23 over the same two periods, but is a little misleading. He was regularly playing 20+ MPG except for a stretch where he played 6, 8 and 10 minutes against Miami, Pitt and Louisville.

Justise: His minutes have gone up, but he only played 10 minutes against St. J., probably due to injury.

roywhite
02-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Our Phase IV Redux occurs after the 77-73 loss at Notre Dame and the astonishing dismissal of Rasheed Sulaimon from the team. How do things look from here? We need to take another look at Phase IV, which I am happy to do. The question is, do I get overtime pay?

Phase III, from BC to Pitt, Was a Roller-Coaster Ride. An undefeated Duke team suffers two crashing defeats and then responds with resounding victories at Top Ten Louisville and at home against a feisty Pitt team. Finally, the Devils deliver Coach K’s win number 1,000 with a heroic comeback against a tough and physical St. John’s team.

What Next after Rasheed?

Will Duke Remain Free from Further Injuries?

Will the Roller Coaster Ride Continue?

The question is, “Have we now adjusted to the intensity of conference play and sail ahead or are more stormy seas ahead?” I think the team has emerged from a “trial by fire” and will play well in the games ahead.

Whither the Defense? How much zone will we see? Will the defense improve as we enter the second half of the season? Will we miss the presence of Rasheed?

Offense! Offense! Offense! The Intangibles. Will Duke assert its will against other ACC teams on a consistent basis? This is the test for the freshman-laden Blue Devils in Phase IV.

Go Devils!
Sage Grouse

Looking at some of Sage's point of emphasis, this has been a very successful phase which we hope ends with a victory in Cameron over the Heels. The team has adjusted well after Rasheed's dismissal, and appears to be playing very well together. Injuries, to this point, have not been a factor, and we hope that a major tweek for Grayson Allen, which resolved itself, doesn't appear again. The zone play has been helpful, and the ability to switch defenses within a game has been a positive. Offensively, Justise has been contributing more, and the overall guard play has been terrific; not to mention Jahlil, who has been a major weapon.

Good job, Sage, and good job, Devils.

An interesting point for the next phase-master -- this Duke team which has won some huge road games, will barely venture outside of the state of North Carolina for a long stretch. There's the game at VaTech, but that could be it until the Sweet Sixteen comes up, with the ACC Tournament in Greensboro, and early NCAA play quite possibly in NC.