PDA

View Full Version : WBB-Pitt at Duke 1/29/15 6:30 pm

AIM4excellence
01-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Pitt comes to Cameron tonight, Thursday. Games vs Pitt are no longer "gimme's"...ask UNC.

Cover three point shooter! Every player on the floor shoots threes except for a reserve post.

burnspbesq
01-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Pitt comes to Cameron tonight, Thursday. Games vs Pitt are no longer "gimme's"...ask UNC.

Cover three point shooter! Every player on the floor shoots threes except for a reserve post.

Only Kiesel and Wignot shoot them well.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/pitt/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/stats/season_stats_20150124aaa.pdf

Close out on them, make everybody else prove it.

DU82
01-29-2015, 06:31 PM

Amber not playing tonight. Hope it is her ankle, not knee, that she hurt at the Smurfs on Sunday.

burnspbesq
01-29-2015, 07:17 PM
HT: Duke 36-20 Pitt.

Solid first half. Duke shooting 52%, holding Pitt to under 28%, including 4-14 from three. Kiesel has been as advertised, but Wignot has been held very much in check (1-7, 0-3 from three).

Duke +9 on the glass, 12 assists on 14 made FG, and only eight turnovers. Azur'a leads Duke with 11, Greenie with eight, Kendall with seven off the bench.

Not over yet, but another twenty minutes like the first twenty and we should be fine.

DU82
01-29-2015, 07:27 PM
HT: Duke 36-20 Pitt.

Solid first half. Duke shooting 52%, holding Pitt to under 28%, including 4-14 from three. Kiesel has been as advertised, but Wignot has been held very much in check (1-7, 0-3 from three).

Duke +9 on the glass, 12 assists on 14 made FG, and only eight turnovers. Azur'a leads Duke with 11, Greenie with eight, Kendall with seven off the bench.

Not over yet, but another twenty minutes like the first twenty and we should be fine.

Two fouls in the first half, both early by Elizabeth. She's the only Duke player who hasn't scored.

Nice ball movement, especially feeding the post.

Second half, two possessions, two turnovers.

burnspbesq
01-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Duke's offense has been indescribably horrible for the first eight minutes of the second half, but the lead is larger than it was at the half. Defense + prayer?

burnspbesq
01-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Hard to argue with the defensive job tonight. Pitt 29%, including 7-29 (24.1%) from three. Wignot, who leads the ACC in three-point percentage, was 1-6 (and the one came with two minutes to go and the game out of reach). Plus-18 on the glass, and forced 15 turnovers. Pitt got .672 points per possession (!).

Offense? well, we shot it well, and we had a lot of assists. Let's not go any farther than that.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2015, 08:23 PM
62-45 victory. The first stat I checked was to see how we did on TO's...we lost that battle badly. We had 25 turnovers to their 15. Ugh. We also shot 50% from the floor though, so un-ugh.

Kfanarmy
01-29-2015, 08:58 PM
62-45 victory. The first stat I checked was to see how we did on TO's...we lost that battle badly. We had 25 turnovers to their 15. Ugh. We also shot 50% from the floor though, so un-ugh.

another pretty shocking number of overs...

burnspbesq
01-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Points off turnovers: Pitt 15 (0.6/TO), Duke 17 (1.13/TO).

Assist-to-turnover ratio: Pitt 0.47, Duke 0.64.

WakeDevil
01-29-2015, 09:45 PM
What is the significance of the alleged stat "points off turnovers?"

burnspbesq
01-29-2015, 10:28 PM
What is the significance of the alleged stat "points off turnovers?"

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the use of the word "alleged" in connection with a statistic that is pretty much universally tracked and included in official box scores, but points off turnovers is a measure of how efficiently a defensive team is able to convert turnovers into offensive production (or, conversely, how damaging turnovers are to the team that commits them).

In this case, Pitt's points off turnovers per Duke turnover were even less than their (miserable) offensive efficiency. You could, and I do, take that to mean that either Duke committed more of the the "right" kind of turnovers (throwing the ball out of bounds, traveling, and the like, that give them an opportunity to set up their defense, as opposed to giving up steals that lead to transition opportunities for the other term), or that they did a good job getting back on defense after turnovers and limited Pitt's ability to convert turnovers into points.

Kedsy
01-29-2015, 11:28 PM
Amber not playing tonight. Hope it is her ankle, not knee, that she hurt at the Smurfs on Sunday.

On TV they said it was her knee.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the use of the word "alleged" in connection with a statistic that is pretty much universally tracked and included in official box scores, but points off turnovers is a measure of how efficiently a defensive team is able to convert turnovers into offensive production (or, conversely, how damaging turnovers are to the team that commits them).

In this case, Pitt's points off turnovers per Duke turnover were even less than their (miserable) offensive efficiency. You could, and I do, take that to mean that either Duke committed more of the the "right" kind of turnovers (throwing the ball out of bounds, traveling, and the like, that give them an opportunity to set up their defense, as opposed to giving up steals that lead to transition opportunities for the other term), or that they did a good job getting back on defense after turnovers and limited Pitt's ability to convert turnovers into points.

Agree. When Duke struggles it's generally because of live ball turnovers that lead to runouts and easy scores. Tonight I think a lot of our turnovers were dead ball turnovers.

As others have said, our defense looked really strong tonight. Other than the turnovers, Mrs. Lincoln, the play on offense was pretty good. Double-doubles by both Azurá and Oderah. Kendall went for 8 and 6 and shot well from the free throw line (!). Elizabeth scored her first point with 10 minutes to play (finished with 9, though), and we still won handily. All in all, a nice win against an improved Pitt team that beat UNC and only lost by 6 to Louisville.

Des Esseintes
01-29-2015, 11:44 PM
On TV they said it was her knee.

Agree. When Duke struggles it's generally because of live ball turnovers that lead to runouts and easy scores. Tonight I think a lot of our turnovers were dead ball turnovers.

As others have said, our defense looked really strong tonight. Other than the turnovers, Mrs. Lincoln, the play on offense was pretty good. Double-doubles by both Azurá and Oderah. Kendall went for 8 and 6 and shot well from the free throw line (!). Elizabeth scored her first point with 10 minutes to play (finished with 9, though), and we still won handily. All in all, a nice win against an improved Pitt team that beat UNC and only lost by 6 to Louisville.

For a coaching staff that is supposedly hidebound and dogmatic to the detriment of quality play, McCallie and her assistants have Duke playing at high level despite a completely non-traditional lineup and major in-season adversity.

duke09hms
01-30-2015, 12:20 AM
For a coaching staff that is supposedly hidebound and dogmatic to the detriment of quality play, McCallie and her assistants have Duke playing at high level despite a completely non-traditional lineup and major in-season adversity.

Hard to know against a terrible opponent. There's so little talent in women's bball that it all gets concentrated at a few programs. Basically the opposite of parity in men's bball. Beating Pitt doesn't mean anything.

However, have to give credit where it's due. Coach P's domination of UNC (9 out of the last 11?) is certainly laudable, and the fact we beat them so short-handed last week is a great job by the entire program - coach, staff, players.

Kedsy
01-30-2015, 12:25 AM
Hard to know against a terrible opponent. There's so little talent in women's bball that it all gets concentrated at a few programs. Basically the opposite of parity in men's bball. Beating Pitt doesn't mean anything.

Tell that to UNC (who lost to Pitt) and Louisville (who beat Pitt by just 6 points). I agree that there's a large disparity between the haves and have-nots in women's college basketball, but Pitt isn't "terrible." The program appears to be on the verge of becoming relevant. Duke blowing them out was a pretty good win.

grossbus
01-30-2015, 12:15 PM
"Amber not playing tonight. Hope it is her ankle, not knee, that she hurt at the Smurfs on Sunday."

sore knee

AIM4excellence
01-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Tell that to UNC (who lost to Pitt) and Louisville (who beat Pitt by just 6 points). I agree that there's a large disparity between the haves and have-nots in women's college basketball, but Pitt isn't "terrible." The program appears to be on the verge of becoming relevant. Duke blowing them out was a pretty good win.

Duke is a "have" while Pitt is a "have not." The fact that Pitt can beat a good team with their current roster is testament to what Susie McConnel-Serio has done with the team since she took over. I could be wrong, but I don't think Pitt has had a recruiting class in the top 25 for a very long time.

Duvall
01-30-2015, 04:55 PM
Duke is a "have" while Pitt is a "have not."

Well, that's just it - for a while there it wasn't clear that Duke was going to be able to stay amongst the haves this season. Now it looks like they are.

Kedsy
01-30-2015, 05:02 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Pitt has had a recruiting class in the top 25 for a very long time.

You are wrong. Pitt's 2014 recruiting class was ranked #18 by HoopGurlz/ESPN. And they start three freshman plus another first-year player, so that makes some sense.

AIM4excellence
01-30-2015, 07:47 PM
You are wrong. Pitt's 2014 recruiting class was ranked #18 by HoopGurlz/ESPN. And they start three freshman plus another first-year player, so that makes some sense.

Thank you for the correction. So, in the last few years, they've had one class in the top 25. Looks like high schoolers believed she could 'coach them up'. And now, it's proving to be true. The program is on the upswing. But not last night.

burnspbesq
01-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Pitt lost to Duke by 44 last year. They lost by 17 last night. YMMV, but I spell that "u-p-s-w-i-n-g."

Also, Wignot is a first-year player, but she's also an only-year player. She was a four-year starter on the Pitt volleyball team, who McConnell-Serio tried to recruit for basketball when she was at Duquense.