PDA

View Full Version : FB: 2015 Schedule

Bob Green
01-28-2015, 04:14 PM
The ACC will announce the 2015 football schedule tomorrow at 1000.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2015, 10:15 AM
The ACC will announce the 2015 football schedule tomorrow at 1000.

Sept. 3 at Tulane (Thurs.)
Sept. 12 NC CENTRAL
Sept. 19 NORTHWESTERN
Sept. 26 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 3 BOSTON COLLEGE
Oct. 10 at Army
Oct. 17 OPEN
Oct. 24 at Virginia Tech
Oct. 31 MIAMI
Nov. 7 at North Carolina
Nov. 14 PITT
Nov. 21 at Virginia
Nov. 28 at Wake Forest

6 home games, with 4 of them in a row in the hottest month of the year.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Looks like a favorable schedule once again, another bowl season is upon us. Perhaps a ACC championship appearance and win!!!! Lets go DUKE Football!!!

Having GT and Miami at home is a big plus!

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2015, 10:27 AM
I like our schedule...and I like our November. I see the potential for going 4-4 close the year, which would be huge heading into a bowl. (I could also see us going 2-4.)

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-29-2015, 10:31 AM
I like our schedule...and I like our November. I see the potential for going 4-4 close the year, which would be huge heading into a bowl. (I could also see us going 2-4.)

does that mean going 4 wins and 4 loses or 4 out of 4 games won? I would think going 4-4 as in 4 wins and 4 loses going into a bowl game would not be huge...

Bob Green
01-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Here are my initial reactions to the schedule:

1. Four home games in a row does not make me happy.
2. The bye week is favorably scheduled with six games before and six games after.
3. A fast start (5-1?) is possible.
4. Finishing the regular season on the road at Virginia and at Wake Forest should be a good thing.

More thoughts later...

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2015, 10:44 AM
does that mean going 4 wins and 4 loses or 4 out of 4 games won? I would think going 4-4 as in 4 wins and 4 loses going into a bowl game would not be huge...
Winning all 4. We've not done that in November, and it would be huge going into a bowl game (and possibly the ACC championship game.)

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-29-2015, 10:51 AM
ahhh gotcha, then I completely agree, winning all four would be epic!

Bob Green
01-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Here is the complete conference schedule:

http://www.theacc.com/page/2015-acc-football-schedule-grid-style

None of our eight conference opponents have a bye week the week before playing Duke!

devildeac
01-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Sept. 3 at Tulane (Thurs.)
Sept. 12 NC CENTRAL
Sept. 19 NORTHWESTERN
Sept. 26 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 3 BOSTON COLLEGE
Oct. 10 at Army
Oct. 17 OPEN
Oct. 24 at Virginia Tech
Oct. 31 MIAMI
Nov. 7 at North Carolina
Nov. 14 PITT
Nov. 21 at Virginia
Nov. 28 at Wake Forest

6 home games, with 4 of them in a row in the hottest month of the year.

Yea, that's brutal on our tailgating crew (:o), not to mention our players, but with Cut's emphasis on conditioning from the moment he arrived, I'm confident he'll have our guys ready.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2015, 11:38 AM
One of the concerns of last year was our weak schedule. Looking back at results of the teams that we'll be playing this year, I'm not sure that perception will change much.
8 of the 12 teams we played finished with losing records. Three of those teams went bowling, but lost in their bowls and thus ended at 6-7. (By the way...two of those three teams beat us, and the third came within a missed FG.) Here are the results, ACC records in parenthesis.
Tulane (Thurs.) 3-9
NC CENTRAL 7-5
NORTHWESTERN 5-7
GEORGIA TECH 11-3 (6-2)
BOSTON COLLEGE 7-6 (4-4)
Army 4-8
Virginia Tech 7-6 (3-5)
MIAMI 6-7 (5-3)
North Carolina 6-7 (4-4)
PITT 6-7 (4-4)
Virginia 5-7 (3-5)
Wake Forest 3-9 (1-7)

sagegrouse
01-29-2015, 12:03 PM
One of the concerns of last year was our weak schedule. Looking back at results of the teams that we'll be playing this year, I'm not sure that perception will change much.
8 of the 12 teams we played finished with losing records. Three of those teams went bowling, but lost in their bowls and thus ended at 6-7. (By the way...two of those three teams beat us, and the third came within a missed FG.) Here are the results, ACC records in parenthesis.
Tulane (Thurs.) 3-9
NC CENTRAL 7-5
NORTHWESTERN 5-7
GEORGIA TECH 11-3 (6-2)
BOSTON COLLEGE 7-6 (4-4)
Army 4-8
Virginia Tech 7-6 (3-5)
MIAMI 6-7 (5-3)
North Carolina 6-7 (4-4)
PITT 6-7 (4-4)
Virginia 5-7 (3-5)
Wake Forest 3-9 (1-7)

Another way to look at it, CBB, is that we are playing six bowl teams, which isn't bad. It happens that Pitt, UNC and Miami were 6-6 and lost their bowl games to finish with losing records.

Olympic Fan
01-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Winning all 4. We've not done that in November, and it would be huge going into a bowl game (and possibly the ACC championship game.)

Did we forget 2013 so quickly? 4-0 in November with wins over NC State, Miami, Wake Forest and UNCheat to close out the regular season.

And who gives a &%$#^ about a weak schedule -- that only manners if Duke is in position to make a run at the playoffs.

We're not there yet. We're still in the building stage. I'd rather go 9-3 or 10-2 against a weak schedule than go 7-5 or 8-4 against a strong one.

If we manage to go 12-0 against that schedule, I'll gladly accept all the criticism that it's too weak.

Wander
01-29-2015, 12:20 PM

Honestly, going worse than 5-1 would be disappointing to me. I really think we're going to be better next year than this year.

The weak schedule thing is an interesting debate for us. I fall on the side of that I'd rather have a harder schedule than what we have, mostly because I'm genuinely curious as to how we'd fare against a good team from another conference before December or January, and as a football fan the game would just be more fun than Army or whatever. But I can appreciate the opposing view of just needing to pick up as many wins as possible for a team like us.

We should really be contending for the division title next year, though I think GT or UNC will be the favorite (I know, they're always overrated, but I think next season might be the first time in a while they actually deserve a good preseason ranking).

Duvall
01-29-2015, 12:23 PM

Then again, the only time playing a weak schedule hurts a team is if they are contending for a playoff spot. Otherwise, it's more important just to get the wins.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Did we forget 2013 so quickly? 4-0 in November with wins over NC State, Miami, Wake Forest and UNCheat to close out the regular season.
Yes, yes I did!!! Aggh...thanks for the correction. (I'm so used to hitting the November wall that it is ingrained in me that we always do it.)

And who gives a &%$#^ about a weak schedule -- that only manners if Duke is in position to make a run at the playoffs.

We're not there yet. We're still in the building stage. I'd rather go 9-3 or 10-2 against a weak schedule than go 7-5 or 8-4 against a strong one.

If we manage to go 12-0 against that schedule, I'll gladly accept all the criticism that it's too weak.

I care. But..just like with last year, this year is no different. We didn't go out looking to schedule "weak" teams, that's simply the way the chips landed by the time we actually played. Also note, I didn't say our schedule IS weak, I said it will be perceived that way. The teams we play this year are NOT the teams that earned those schedules last year.
And I totally agree with your last statement. A win is a win is a win, no matter who we beat.

Reilly
01-29-2015, 01:00 PM
... We didn't go out looking to schedule "weak" teams, that's simply the way the chips landed by the time we actually played ...

We kind of do go looking for some weak opponents but I don't think we're any worse at that than most teams.

8/12 of the schedule is from the ACC -- so we have no control over 67% of our schedule.

For the other four games, I read the other day how Duke said it looks for one Power 5 team (Northwestern), two non-P5 teams (Tulane, Army), and one FCS (Central).

So, for the 33% of the schedule we control (4/12), we're looking at 75% of that as being outside of the P5.

Bob Green
01-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Honestly, going worse than 5-1 would be disappointing to me.

There is one definite tough game and two potentially tough games in the first six: Georgia Tech, Northwestern and Boston College. While I agree with you 5-1 should be the benchmark, 4-2 would not be a disaster. Northwestern has been inconsistent recently with back-to-back 5-7 seasons and Boston College should take a step back with the departure of quarterback Tyler Murphy so 5-1 is a definite possibility and 6-0 isn't unrealistic. We did beat Georgia Tech in Atlanta in 2014 and as you point out we should be an improved team in 2015.

Wow! Talking Duke football on January 29! Exciting times...

dpslaw
01-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Yea, that's brutal on our tailgating crew (:o), not to mention our players, but with Cut's emphasis on conditioning from the moment he arrived, I'm confident he'll have our guys ready.

Certainly brutal on our tailgate crew, but I would think it is great for the players, who don't have to travel for a month.

blazindw
01-29-2015, 03:53 PM
4 home games in a row isn't ideal, especially given that we have only 1 home in November. On the plus side, other than Tulane and Army, we have very quick/easy road trips. It will certainly be a tale of two halves of the season. We should use the first half of the season to put some, on paper, easy Ws on the board. And then, we take the bye week to prepare for the tougher part of the season starting with the toughest road game we will have.

budwom
01-29-2015, 03:58 PM
We kind of do go looking for some weak opponents but I don't think we're any worse at that than most teams.

8/12 of the schedule is from the ACC -- so we have no control over 67% of our schedule.

For the other four games, I read the other day how Duke said it looks for one Power 5 team (Northwestern), two non-P5 teams (Tulane, Army), and one FCS (Central).

So, for the 33% of the schedule we control (4/12), we're looking at 75% of that as being outside of the P5.

Yeah, like Olympic said, we're still growing as a program, and BY FAR the biggest requirement we have (to keep improving our recruiting, which we have done every year) is to make it to
a bowl. And the way you get to a bowl is with winning three or hopefully four OOC games, and then all you need, minimally, is to win two or three in conference games.
Northwestern will provide a significant test for sure. If circumstances warrant it, we can upgrade our schedule in the future, but right now our scheduling is precisely appropriate.

Olympic Fan
01-29-2015, 04:15 PM
If circumstances warrant it, we can upgrade our schedule in the future, but right now our scheduling is precisely appropriate.

We WILL be upgrading very soon.

In 2016 we play at Notre Dame, at Northwestern and Army at home (OOC), with Louisville showing up as our second Atlantic Division foe.

In 2017, we play Baylor and Northwestern in Wade, plus a road game at Army. And FSU comes on the schedule as our one variable Atlantic foe.

In 2018, we play at Baylor and at Northwestern with Army at home. Not sure of which Atlantic team we get -- its should be Clemson

In 2019 we get Notre Dame here and in 2020 we return to Notre Dame.

Is that strong enough for you guys?

fuse
01-29-2015, 04:18 PM
A front loaded home schedule offers the opportunity for a new quarterback to get in a rhythm before being tested on the road. I think that is a break in our favour.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-29-2015, 06:00 PM
I'm very excited about the game at West Point - great for all of the alums in the northeast - Army is a fun place to see a game with all of the parades and other military traditions. And the leaves might be starting to change in mid-October. I highly recommend it for a road trip.

Bob Green
01-29-2015, 07:46 PM
There are a lot of questions to be answered during spring practice such as who wins the job at quarterback, who steps up at wide receiver, will the infusion of young talent result in improved performance by the defensive line, so it is extremely premature to be talking win/loss predictions.

However, I am going to go slightly out on a limb and place the games into categories:

Should Win Games: Tulane, NCCU, Boston College, Army, Wake Forest
Toss-Ups: Virginia Tech, Virginia, Pittsburgh, Northwestern*
Tough Games: Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina

* I really wanted to put Northwestern in the "Should Win" category but they had impressive wins in 2014 against Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Penn State. My heart says "Should Win" category, while my head says "Toss-Up" category. The Northwestern game on September 19 (my 36th wedding anniversary) will be an early season Litmus Test.

weezie
01-29-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm hoping we have someone who can learn from Vagonius Thicket-Suede. That guy was a real surprise this year!

Bob Green
02-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Season tickets are on sale online at http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209501416 or by calling the ticket office at 919-681-BLUE:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209872698&DB_OEM_ID=4200

devildeac
02-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Season tickets are on sale online at http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209501416 or by calling the ticket office at 919-681-BLUE:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209872698&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Plus you can buy 2016 tix at 2015 prices.

CDu
02-02-2015, 03:43 PM
I love this schedule. Frankly, as long as the divisions stay as is and as long as we get to keep Wake as a regular opponent from the other division, our ACC schedule is likely to remain friendly. And we've done a good job of keeping the non-con schedule relatively light weight. That is of utmost importance in terms of making sure we are bowl eligible.

The Georgia Tech and Boston College games will be tough physically on our defense (both teams like to pound the running game on offense). But realistically (and barring unforeseen crazy injury bad luck) we should win at least 7 games with that schedule, with a fighting chance in all of the other ones too.

Billy Dat
02-02-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm very excited about the game at West Point - great for all of the alums in the northeast - Army is a fun place to see a game with all of the parades and other military traditions. And the leaves might be starting to change in mid-October. I highly recommend it for a road trip.

Cosign - I nearly jumped for joy before coming back down to earth and realizing that every one of my school-year weekends is dominated by my children's soccer and swimming events.

With the rising football tide, this could very well be a big bone thrown to the voluminous NY/NJ/CT area alums. I think CrazyNotCrazie's enthusiasm actually undersells the West Point visceral experience, that game is scheduled for the heart of fall foliage season and that setting is downright bucolic. Michie Stadium is on every published "college football venue bucket list". I need to try and make this event happen.

budwom
02-03-2015, 08:31 AM
I love this schedule. Frankly, as long as the divisions stay as is and as long as we get to keep Wake as a regular opponent from the other division, our ACC schedule is likely to remain friendly. And we've done a good job of keeping the non-con schedule relatively light weight. That is of utmost importance in terms of making sure we are bowl eligible.

The Georgia Tech and Boston College games will be tough physically on our defense (both teams like to pound the running game on offense). But realistically (and barring unforeseen crazy injury bad luck) we should win at least 7 games with that schedule, with a fighting chance in all of the other ones too.

The good news on BC is that this past year they started five grad students on the offensive line, so hopefully their running game this Fall is less robust.

CameronBornAndBred
05-05-2015, 10:55 AM
The game time for Army has been announced. I'll take a noon kick any day as long as it isn't at home. For you west coasters, it's on CBS, so you can enjoy football with your eggs and bacon.

GAME TIME ANNOUNCEMENT: Our game at Army on Saturday, Oct. 10, will kick off at 12 p.m. ET and be televised by CBS Sports Network.

Olympic Fan
05-05-2015, 11:39 AM
The game time for Army has been announced. I'll take a noon kick any day as long as it isn't at home. For you west coasters, it's on CBS, so you can enjoy football with your eggs and bacon.

Just to be clear, the Duke-Army game is not on CBS ... it's on the CBS Sports Network, which is not quite as available. It's not in most basic cable packages. I know that on Time-Warner, you have to buy the extra sports package to get it.

The Duke-Tulane opener is also on the CBS Sports Network

Kfanarmy
05-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Tulane (Thurs.) 3-9
NC CENTRAL 7-5
NORTHWESTERN 5-7
GEORGIA TECH 11-3 (6-2)
BOSTON COLLEGE 7-6 (4-4)
Army 4-8
Virginia Tech 7-6 (3-5)
MIAMI 6-7 (5-3)
North Carolina 6-7 (4-4)
PITT 6-7 (4-4)
Virginia 5-7 (3-5)
Wake Forest 3-9 (1-7)

Football fans should be salivating all over this schedule. Know there are a lot of questions yet to be answered for the 2015 version of Duke football, but with the right mix of luck and a healthy does of Coach Cut, there is significant potential for a big bowl at the end of this schedule.

FWIW wanting to schedule easy opponents by a P5 team is weak sauce.

duke blue brewcrew
05-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Here are my initial reactions to the schedule:

1. Four home games in a row does not make me happy.
2. The bye week is favorably scheduled with six games before and six games after.
4. Finishing the regular season on the road at Virginia and at Wake Forest should be a good thing.

More thoughts later...

I largely agree with your thoughts. Where are you on the second half of the schedule, 4-2?

duke blue brewcrew
05-07-2015, 09:41 AM

I think Duke's top end win total for 2015 is around 9 with a worse case somewhere around 7 as you speculated.

Bob Green
05-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Where are you on the second half of the schedule, 4-2?

I see the same formula for success as in 2013 and 2014. Duke needs to win the games they are suppose to win and steal one from someone along the way. So if we start strong (non-conference games and BC) and finish strong (Virginia and Wake Forest), the middle of the season will be the difference between a good season or a great season:

October 24 - @ Virginia Tech
October 31 - Miami
November 7 - @ North Carolina
November 14 - Pitt

Win two of those four, and don't drop a game where we are favored along the way and a 9 or 10 win regular season is possible.

On paper, Georgia Tech in Wallace Wade on September 26 is our toughest game, but you know we beat those guys in Atlanta last season.

Dev11
05-07-2015, 12:17 PM
For years, Wake Forest fans said things like, "it's great we always have Duke as a cross-divisional game." We need to return their kindness be repeating "it's great we always have Wake as a cross-divisional game" as often as possible. Take that, Deacs.

Olympic Fan
05-07-2015, 12:32 PM
For years, Wake Forest fans said things like, "it's great we always have Duke as a cross-divisional game." We need to return their kindness be repeating "it's great we always have Wake as a cross-divisional game" as often as possible. Take that, Deacs.

The Wake program spiraled downward quickly. Amazing how it collapsed under Jim Grobe, who did a great job for so long.

Dave Clawson inherited a mess. Last year he had to start a true freshman at QB and a two true freshmen on the offensive line. They had one of the worst running games in all of college football.

Yet, by the end of the year they were showing life -- just before losing to Duke in the finale, they beat Virginia Tech 6-3 on double OT. Most of those young guys are back, including Wohlford at QB, who should be light years better in his second season. Clawson is going to do a good job. Next year, Wake is a game Duke should win, but not a gimmie. In 2-3 years, it's going to be a tough game.

We are catching BC at a very good time. They not only lost that entire veteran offensive line, but they also lost their QB Murphy, who might have been the best running QB in college football. They were hit hard on defense too. Definitely a game Duke should win.

IsInTheDetails
05-26-2015, 05:37 PM
I ordered tickets today for our season opener against Tulane. . .figured Duke Football was a great excuse to get back to NOLA, where I haven't been since visiting the Superdome for the last Saints preseason game two days before Katrina. It's going to be swampy on September 2nd, but at least the game doesn't kick off until 8:30p local time.

Anyone else making the trip? Any thoughts/commentary from those who have been to Tulane home games in recent years?

Our fifth title in hoops still has me buzzing, but the anticipation of another promising gridiron slate has me buzzing nearly as much. Never thought I'd see the day.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-26-2015, 06:47 PM
I ordered tickets today for our season opener against Tulane. . .figured Duke Football was a great excuse to get back to NOLA, where I haven't been since visiting the Superdome for the last Saints preseason game two days before Katrina. It's going to be swampy on September 2nd, but at least the game doesn't kick off until 8:30p local time.

Anyone else making the trip? Any thoughts/commentary from those who have been to Tulane home games in recent years?

Our fifth title in hoops still has me buzzing, but the anticipation of another promising gridiron slate has me buzzing nearly as much. Never thought I'd see the day.

I plan to be there along with several folks from my tailgate group. Tulane will be playing in their new stadium on campus. The stadium was completed in time for the 2014 season.

BTW The game is Thursday, September 3.

Bob Green
05-26-2015, 06:50 PM

100 days from today.

OldPhiKap
05-26-2015, 08:11 PM
I plan to be there along with several folks from my tailgate group. Tulane will be playing in their new stadium on campus. The stadium was completed in time for the 2014 season.

I will be unable to make that trip but will be cheering from points beyond.

100 days and counting.

LGD!!!

Tripping William
05-26-2015, 08:13 PM
100 days and counting.

With a "C." As in "Cutcliffe." 😀 🏈

Dev11
05-26-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm probably going, just need to actually book flights and whatnot. Not a bad excuse to take a vacation in New Orleans.

DU82
05-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Four of us are going. I'm the only one in the group that's never been to NOLA. Asked them if there was anything interesting to do there besides the game. :rolleyes:

IsInTheDetails
05-26-2015, 08:48 PM

Righto - Thanks, DiBD for correcting my mistake. Details got lost in the anticipation!

Hopefully New Orleans will be a draw for a decent number of Duke fans. From what I saw making my travel arrangements, both flights and hotels can be had for good prices, and there's no shortage of great food and great music to enjoy before/after the game. I look forward to some celebratory beignets after watching Shaq and Jela run through (and Shaun run around) the Green Wave.

-jk
05-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Four of us are going. I'm the only one in the group that's never been to NOLA. Asked them if there was anything interesting to do there besides the game. :rolleyes:

Alas, the great Pete Fountain has retired. Could've gotten you great seats! (Even if it could've been in Biloxi!)

-jk

OldPhiKap
05-26-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm probably going, just need to actually book flights and whatnot. Not a bad excuse to take a vacation in New Orleans.

There are no bad excuses for going to New Orleans.

But I sure as hell have come back with a few.

("Honey, see, it was like this . . . .")

;-)

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-26-2015, 09:34 PM
I will be unable to make that trip but will be cheering from points beyond.

100 days and counting.

LGD!!!

I'm so sorry to learn this because I had hoped you'd be on hand. You'll be missed!

Preview: I plan to take my good tiara.

OldPhiKap
05-26-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm so sorry to learn this because I had hoped you'd be on hand. You'll be missed!

Preview: I plan to take my good tiara.

Alas, kids are back in school and it is hard to get away during the week.

I didn't know they made tiaras in royal blue houndstooth. I am sure you carry it well!

IsInTheDetails
05-29-2015, 01:26 PM
I'm sure many of you received the same email from GoDuke today, but I wanted to make sure folks are aware that for only $10/ticket, you can sponsor local military & first responders to attend a game in Wallace Wade. This seems like an easy, inexpensive way to help fill the stands and continue to build Duke Football's brand and fan base.

"Last year, with the support of Duke supporters such as yourselves, our Salute A Soldier program was able to show over three thousand military service members a night to remember in Wallace Wade! This year, we are expanding our program and introducing Heroes Corner, where we will honor our military as well as First Responders in the local community.

We have received tremendous support already from our Duke Family. Donation tickets are only $10, and through next Friday, Duke will be matching every ticket donated. To make a donation please CLICK HERE (https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_MODE_=EVENTSELECT&SALE_TKT_EVENT_ID=706219)."

Reilly
05-29-2015, 02:43 PM
... for only $10/ticket, you can sponsor local military & first responders to attend a game in Wallace Wade. ...

" ... through next Friday, Duke will be matching every ticket donated ... "

Maybe I'm too cynical. Couldn't Duke donate free tickets to X number of military and first responders without me giving Duke $10 to do so? Wouldn't that be a great thing, and why does Duke need my $10 to do it? I mean, if the seats are sitting there unusued, Duke giving the tickets away:

(a) creates a better atmosophere;
(b) maybe helps the team;
(c) looks better on TV;
(d) ups the receipts at the concession stands; and
(e) rewards folks who have chosen work that is for the benefit of all of us.

Seems Duke could do all of that, for all of those good reasons, without my $10. But of course it is DUKE which beneifts from me giving $10, not the military and first responders. Maybe I'll give $10 to the local First Aid crew, and tell them if they want, use it for food for the kitchen, or supplies, or to go scalp a ticket to Wallace Wade.

ChillinDuke
05-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Maybe I'm too cynical. Couldn't Duke donate free tickets to X number of military and first responders without me giving Duke $10 to do so? Wouldn't that be a great thing, and why does Duke need my $10 to do it? I mean, if the seats are sitting there unusued, Duke giving the tickets away:

(a) creates a better atmosophere;
(b) maybe helps the team;
(c) looks better on TV;
(d) ups the receipts at the concession stands; and
(e) rewards folks who have chosen work that is for the benefit of all of us.

Seems Duke could do all of that, for all of those good reasons, without my $10. But of course it is DUKE which beneifts from me giving $10, not the military and first responders. Maybe I'll give $10 to the local First Aid crew, and tell them if they want, use it for food for the kitchen, or supplies, or to go scalp a ticket to Wallace Wade.

While I share your sentiments, $10 seems like a reasonable, non-punitive sum of money for this sort of gesture that I'm hardly about to get worked up over it. (And I'm Italian - so I rather enjoy getting worked up. :rolleyes:)

Further to your comment, it always seems a bit ridiculous how money-hungry these universities are for institutions that are supposed to be devoted to a higher cause. Don't they get special tax treatment too? And aren't they non-profit? And don't they charge exorbitantly for their services to begin with (at least in Duke's case for a standard, non-financial-aid student)?

It's ridiculous. But at $10, it's not worth my irritation. I just paid.

Now...those airline bag fees...

- Chillin

IsInTheDetails
05-29-2015, 03:16 PM
While I share your sentiments, $10 seems like a reasonable, non-punitive sum of money for this sort of gesture that I'm hardly about to get worked up over it. (And I'm Italian - so I rather enjoy getting worked up. :rolleyes:)

Further to your comment, it always seems a bit ridiculous how money-hungry these universities are for institutions that are supposed to be devoted to a higher cause. Don't they get special tax treatment too? And aren't they non-profit? And don't they charge exorbitantly for their services to begin with (at least in Duke's case for a standard, non-financial-aid student)?

It's ridiculous. But at $10, it's not worth my irritation. I just paid.

Now...those airline bag fees...

- Chillin

Yeah, it's hard to get worked up about $10. If they wanted face value (whatever that is), I could imagine being annoyed. I imagine the $10 roughly offsets Duke's cost of actually creating and managing this (worthwhile) program, with the seats basically given away for free. I have no problem with that, and it's a fine way for me to support (a) good people in the community and (b) a football program I care about. Low-hanging fruit.

Reilly
05-29-2015, 05:24 PM
It's not the amount of the donation; it's the principle of paying Duke to do something charitable, and (maybe) the principle of Duke using the military/first responder feel-good story to increase ticket sales. Do you think that thought went through Duke's collective head -- that is, this thought: "hey, lets increase ticket revenue by having folks buy $10 tickets for 1000 military members for every game -- that's $10K per game, and $60K for the season." Is that part of the thought process?

If somebody pays me $10, I'll go work for an hour putting together packets for the Special Olympics -- I'll use the money for gas, honest. Is this any different?

Is Duke giving the folks hot dogs and Cokes? If so, that seems better -- Duke will give the seat, and then my $10 goes to pay the cost of a meal as my part of the "thank you."

Again, if Duke simply wants to thank military and first responders, it can do that by giving away excess tickets on its own -- it doesn't need my money to do that.

Duke infamously charged $115 for a pre-game football tailgate @Miami last year I think it was. That was to recoup cost, apparently. Color me suspicious.

Maybe money's money -- I could give money to the Iron Dukes to help run the sports program, and Duke in its wisdom could give some tix away as a feel-good gesture ... or I could give a little less money to the Iron Duke to help run the sports program, and then give $10 more via this donation to help float this endeavor. Just different revenue streams, I guess, all going to one enterprise -- Duke (which does do a lot of good in this world, even if the hot dog costs $84 and the Coke $33).

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Duke isn't just asking fans to pay for the tickets for military or first responders. Duke reduced the purchase price of each ticket and will match each ticket purchased in this campaign with another ticket. If this doesn't appeal to you, don't do it. I view it as a gesture to involve fans in some sort of project related to the football program.

AustinDevil
05-30-2015, 11:00 AM
It's not the amount of the donation; it's the principle of paying Duke to do something charitable, and (maybe) the principle of Duke using the military/first responder feel-good story to increase ticket sales. Do you think that thought went through Duke's collective head -- that is, this thought: "hey, lets increase ticket revenue by having folks buy $10 tickets for 1000 military members for every game -- that's $10K per game, and $60K for the season." Is that part of the thought process?

If somebody pays me $10, I'll go work for an hour putting together packets for the Special Olympics -- I'll use the money for gas, honest. Is this any different?

Is Duke giving the folks hot dogs and Cokes? If so, that seems better -- Duke will give the seat, and then my $10 goes to pay the cost of a meal as my part of the "thank you."

Again, if Duke simply wants to thank military and first responders, it can do that by giving away excess tickets on its own -- it doesn't need my money to do that.

Duke infamously charged $115 for a pre-game football tailgate @Miami last year I think it was. That was to recoup cost, apparently. Color me suspicious.

Maybe money's money -- I could give money to the Iron Dukes to help run the sports program, and Duke in its wisdom could give some tix away as a feel-good gesture ... or I could give a little less money to the Iron Duke to help run the sports program, and then give $10 more via this donation to help float this endeavor. Just different revenue streams, I guess, all going to one enterprise -- Duke (which does do a lot of good in this world, even if the hot dog costs $84 and the Coke $33).

This is a lot of analysis for a minor promotion in which you do not plan to participate. The major point of agreement I would have is that money is indeed fungible, so no need for the "maybe."

On the merits of the promotion, bear in mind that attendance stats do not include tickets that are given away, so perhaps, in addition to having fans enjoy the sentiment of bringing new potential fans to the game, one specific benefit of the promotion is that these become tickets that count for attendance.

Reilly
05-30-2015, 07:53 PM
This is a lot of analysis for a minor promotion in which you do not plan to participate. The major point of agreement I would have is that money is indeed fungible, so no need for the "maybe."

On the merits of the promotion, bear in mind that attendance stats do not include tickets that are given away, so perhaps, in addition to having fans enjoy the sentiment of bringing new potential fans to the game, one specific benefit of the promotion is that these become tickets that count for attendance.

Is the quantity of my analysis a problem for you? I care about the Duke football program and have given way more analysis to other aspects of the program over the years. I also care about Duke, noting the false notes it sometimes strikes in certain areas (not saying it has done so here -- was legitimately questioning if maybe it somehow was).

sagegrouse
05-30-2015, 08:38 PM
Is the quantity of my analysis a problem for you? I care about the Duke football program and have given way more analysis to other aspects of the program over the years. I also care about Duke, noting the false notes it sometimes strikes in certain areas (not saying it has done so here -- was legitimately questioning if maybe it somehow was).

I dunno, Reilly. Duke has a big-time sports program, ranking around 25-30 in total revenue. So, as either cause or effect, it creates a marketing program to build the reputation of Duke athletics (it's sometimes called a brand). The marketing folks have ideas and take actions -- some are good and some are bad. This promotion strikes me as kinda uninspired.

But, to me, it's not a big deal ...And, of course, some of the marketing budget is wasted -- just like in every other entity that has one.

Kindly,
Sage

westwall
05-30-2015, 09:08 PM

Reilly,

No, its the QUALITY of your analysis that is the problem. I have supported Wounded Warrior projects in other ways, and will support this one too. If you don't want to support, that is your problem, so don't do it. Your objections really have nothing to do with the Duke football program pro or con. So just stop posting on this subject -- please.

Reilly
05-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Reilly,

No, its the QUALITY of your analysis that is the problem. I have supported Wounded Warrior projects in other ways, and will support this one too. If you don't want to support, that is your problem, so don't do it. Your objections really have nothing to do with the Duke football program pro or con. So just stop posting on this subject -- please.

Well I cannot pass up this opportunity. I think helping wounded warrior projects is terrific. My objections -- if I even have objections -- are not to helping those who have served and continue to serve us. That is fantastic to do. What I was wondering is why/how Duke -- in doing that good deed of helping others -- tied that good deed into raising money for Duke.

AustinDevil
05-31-2015, 09:47 AM
Well I cannot pass up this opportunity. I think helping wounded warrior projects is terrific. My objections -- if I even have objections -- are not to helping those who have served and continue to serve us. That is fantastic to do. What I was wondering is why/how Duke -- in doing that good deed of helping others -- tied that good deed into raising money for Duke.

And I gave you a reason that is not about raising money for Duke. Paid attendance matters.

CameronBornAndBred
05-31-2015, 02:43 PM
So I'm really looking forward to the Northwestern game. In Cut's first year, NW beat us 24-20 in Wallace Wade, in one of those games that being a 4th (or even 3rd) quarter team would have helped us out.
I've been up for this rematch ever since.

Bob Green
05-31-2015, 03:06 PM
So I'm really looking forward to the Northwestern game. In Cut's first year, NW beat us 24-20 in Wallace Wade, in one of those games that being a 4th (or even 3rd) quarter team would have helped us out.

We were up 20-17 early in the 4th Quarter but couldn't seal the deal:

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf1/139191.pdf?ATCLID=1576749&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Olympic Fan
05-31-2015, 03:14 PM

It's been an interesting rivalry.

Remember, Northwestern in the 1980s was as bad as Duke in the early part of this century.

Duke won the first six meetings between 1985-90. When the series resumed in 1995, Northwestern was a power (back-to-back Big Ten titles in '95 and '96) and won two of three meeting between 1995-98.

Duke lost in overtime in Cameron in '99, then came the Dark Ages -- during the dismal Carl Frank/Ted Roof era, Duke lost five straight, although the last win that Rood had at Duke was a 2007 win at Norhwestern.

The series stands at 8-8 after Northwestern's narrow win in 2008 in Cameron (a heartbreaking loss -- we had the winning TD called back by the penalty).

Northwestern has been consistently solid since the mid 1990s (10 bowl games since 1995). They did have a bit of an off-year in 2014, It will be interesting to see how they bounce back.

As I look at the series, I see that Duke pretty much dominated in the 1980s and Northwestern was pretty dominant in the early oughts, but that when both teams were competitive, it's been a hotly contested series. I would expect another close game ... I agree, it would be nice to get some payback for the '08 loss.

dpslaw
05-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Oly, I must have missed those games in Cameron! :p

sagegrouse
05-31-2015, 03:29 PM
It's been an interesting rivalry.

Remember, Northwestern in the 1980s was as bad as Duke in the early part of this century.

Duke won the first six meetings between 1985-90. When the series resumed in 1995, Northwestern was a power (back-to-back Big Ten titles in '95 and '96) and won two of three meeting between 1995-98.

Duke lost in overtime in Cameron in '99, then came the Dark Ages -- during the dismal Carl Frank/Ted Roof era, Duke lost five straight, although the last win that Rood had at Duke was a 2007 win at Norhwestern.

The series stands at 8-8 after Northwestern's narrow win in 2008 in Cameron (a heartbreaking loss -- we had the winning TD called back by the penalty).

Northwestern has been consistently solid since the mid 1990s (10 bowl games since 1995). They did have a bit of an off-year in 2014, It will be interesting to see how they bounce back.

As I look at the series, I see that Duke pretty much dominated in the 1980s and Northwestern was pretty dominant in the early oughts, but that when both teams were competitive, it's been a hotly contested series. I would expect another close game ... I agree, it would be nice to get some payback for the '08 loss.

The Duke win at Northwestern in 2007 IIRC broke the longest losing streak in Div 1A football. I watched it from Colorado on the Big Ten network. Those announcers appeared to be pulling for Duke against the Big Ten team!

CameronBornAndBred
05-31-2015, 03:32 PM
The Duke win at Northwestern in 2007 IIRC broke the longest losing streak in Div 1A football. I watched it from Colorado on the Big Ten network. Those announcers appeared to be pulling for Duke against the Big Ten team!
Was that game played in Welsh-Ryan? ;)

sagegrouse
05-31-2015, 04:14 PM
Was that game played in Welsh-Ryan? ;)

Here's the dope from the Wikipedia article on our 1-11 season. Northwestern should have scored on the final play, but Duke held on for a rare win.

September 15 8:00 PM at Northwestern* Ryan Field • Evanston, IL BTN W 20–14 23,716

Reilly
05-31-2015, 04:16 PM
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/d/duke/opponents_records.php?teamid=2330

CameronBornAndBred
05-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Here's the dope from the Wikipedia article on our 1-11 season. Northwestern should have scored on the final play, but Duke held on for a rare win.
That Ryan guy must have been good. Welsh-Ryan is the arena the bball team plays in.

uh_no
05-31-2015, 10:41 PM

thank goodness we didn't have any of those TDs called back this year! might have halted our national championship run!

budwom
06-01-2015, 08:47 AM
We went to several Duke-NW games in Evanston back in the 1980s or so (at least one Spurrier game). Their program was completely dead.....looking for the ticket window before the game, we asked
some guy where it was located and he just handed us two tickets and laughed about actually buying tickets)...since then we've also found it a fun place to go, a great school
where you don't have to deal with mouth breathing moronic fans as you do at some places (e.g. UCONN)....good fans, nice town....I strongly recommend it, I think we play there in 2016...

Dev11
06-01-2015, 11:50 AM
I think we play there in 2016...

Sadly, the scheduling gods gave us back to back weeks at Northwestern and Notre Dame in 2016. If I'm picking one game to go to Chicago for, it would be the one in South Bend.

dpslaw
06-01-2015, 12:56 PM
So it looks like only six home games again in 2016 in newly-renovated Wallace Wade. At least the conference home schedule looks good.

duke blue brewcrew
06-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Sadly, the scheduling gods gave us back to back weeks at Northwestern and Notre Dame in 2016. If I'm picking one game to go to Chicago for, it would be the one in South Bend.

What an incredible game that would be to go to. It's not just about the game & match-up, it's about the history and tradition that is part of South Bend that make it a bucket list type of game to see.

budwom
06-01-2015, 03:56 PM
What an incredible game that would be to go to. It's not just about the game & match-up, it's about the history and tradition that is part of South Bend that make it a bucket list type of game to see.

Yeah, well, if it's anything like Duke's last trip to South Bend, it would barely be worth it:mad:....however things sure look better for us now, so I'm sure it would be fun. How about spending a week in
Chicago (a bit more stuff to do than in Indiana) between games?

duke blue brewcrew
06-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Yeah, well, if it's anything like Duke's last trip to South Bend, it would barely be worth it:mad:....however things sure look better for us now, so I'm sure it would be fun. How about spending a week in
Chicago (a bit more stuff to do than in Indiana) between games?

I love visiting Chicago...during warm weather seasons. I could never live there though, I couldn't cut it in those crazy winters they have. There are worse ways to spend a week than that, great idea!

budwom
06-02-2015, 08:51 AM
I love visiting Chicago...during warm weather seasons. I could never live there though, I couldn't cut it in those crazy winters they have. There are worse ways to spend a week than that, great idea!

Of all the cities I have visited and stuff I've gawked at, I think I can say that the Chicago Architectural Tour on the Chicago River was one of the very best experiences ever.
Absolutely fascinating, great view of the city from a different (water) perspective, and most importantly, absolutely the most knowledgeable tour guide I've EVER heard. Five stars, highest rating.

The only low point (which was quickly forgiven) was when the tour guide (after asking us where we were from) said "Oh, Vermont and New Hampshire are so alike!"
That's like saying Duke and UNC are so alike.

nyesq83
06-02-2015, 10:00 AM
I am going to a wedding in Chicago June 18-22. We are doing that tour, I almost begged off of it but I trust your opinion.

I cannot go to NU next year but I am trying to see if my cousin's husband Tom Gibbons will help me get behind the scenes at ND in 2016.

He was defensive captain of a Notre Dame National Championship team (with Joe Montana as offensive captain, I believe).

See you in September at the new Wally Wade. We just have to figure out where to tailgate, as our spot is no more.

Bob Green
06-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Here are a couple of interesting articles on the Northwestern Wildcat's offense, which ask the question: Could losing veterans on offense actually help Northwestern?

http://www.insidenu.com/2015/5/27/8664993/could-losing-veterans-on-offense-actually-help-northwestern

Connelly, a college football analytics guru for SB Nation, does not predict that NU's offense will necessarily benefit from less experienced replacements. He does, however, concede that as a possibility since the graduating starters "were part of a terribly disappointing unit." Still, he doesn't do so without acknowledging that "a bad offense that becomes less experienced doesn't leave you overflowing with optimism."

Here is a link to the referenced Bill Connelly article:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/26/8653467/northwestern-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster?_ga=1.266424653.277307846.1434286268

And here is one more link, to an article which predicts 2015 will be a rebuilding year for the Wildcats:

http://www.insidenu.com/2015/5/7/8565623/an-inconvenient-rebuilding-year-for-northwestern-football?_ga=1.228741983.277307846.1434286268

In all likelihood, this is not that year, and really, 2015 is an inconveniently timed rebuilding year. If Fitzgerald gets this team to 6-6, he will have time to build around his best recruiting classes ever for the next couple years. But if he doesn't, then NU fans and the administration will have an interesting decision: support a staff that has the tools to be successful in the future, or call for changes after three straight bad seasons.

Bob Green
06-14-2015, 02:18 PM
It is approximately 90 days to our home opener on September 12. Steady progress is being made on Wallace Wade Stadium renovations. When the grass turf starts going down, my excitement level is going to ramp up:

duke blue brewcrew
06-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Of all the cities I have visited and stuff I've gawked at, I think I can say that the Chicago Architectural Tour on the Chicago River was one of the very best experiences ever.
Absolutely fascinating, great view of the city from a different (water) perspective, and most importantly, absolutely the most knowledgeable tour guide I've EVER heard. Five stars, highest rating.

I couldn't agree more. I did the evening cruise, and it was outstanding. I would do it again in a second, and told everyone of my family and friends about it.

sagegrouse
06-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Here's story from ESPN (http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/13080912/college-football-conference-title-odds-released), which makes FSU the 5-2 favorite and rates Duke at 12-1.

CameronBornAndBred
06-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Here's story from ESPN (http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/13080912/college-football-conference-title-odds-released), which makes FSU the 5-2 favorite and rates Duke at 12-1.
Looking at the numbers, I would assume those folks will have us preseason 4th in the Coastal, since GT (4-1), VT (8-1) and Miami (10-1) are each ahead of us in the odds.

Bob Green
06-15-2015, 05:54 PM
SBNation (Bill Connelly) with a good Duke preview. It is worth a read:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/15/8767605/duke-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster/in/8521958

But ... hard jobs remain hard. When you are at Duke, with minimal margin for error, you end up having to prove yourself all over again every year.

Biggest question mark: The pass-first efficiency offense wasn't efficient and must replace its quarterback and top two receivers.

Biggest 2015 game: Bowl eligibility might be hard to come by with a home loss to Northwestern (Sept. 19)

There are charts and graphs and stuff to read, both positive and negative, on this very hot day.

budwom
06-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Regarding pass efficiency (upon which Cut's offense has always been based) Boone simply was very inaccurate last year. No better way to say it. He missed
a zillion short throws last year....I'm hoping Sirk can do better and suspect he can.

OldPhiKap
06-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Regarding pass efficiency (upon which Cut's offense has always been based) Boone simply was very inaccurate last year. No better way to say it. He missed
a zillion short throws last year....I'm hoping Sirk can do better and suspect he can.

I love me some AB, and he was a great leader. Downfield passing accuracy was not his strongest attribute.

Not taking anything away from Anthony, but agree -- we could actually improve at QB. The question mark may be replaced by a few exclamation points at the position.

budwom
06-16-2015, 02:44 PM
I love me some AB, and he was a great leader. Downfield passing accuracy was not his strongest attribute.

Not taking anything away from Anthony, but agree -- we could actually improve at QB. The question mark may be replaced by a few exclamation points at the position.

He definitely took a step back last year. In 2013 he completed 64% of his passes, while last year only 56%. And a lot of those throws were relatively
short passes. Sirk should be interesting, though I worry about his ability to hang on to the ball (based only on his very limited appearances).

duke blue brewcrew
06-16-2015, 11:11 PM
He definitely took a step back last year. In 2013 he completed 64% of his passes, while last year only 56%. And a lot of those throws were relatively
short passes. Sirk should be interesting, though I worry about his ability to hang on to the ball (based only on his very limited appearances).

The difference between AB the Junior and AB the Senior felt drastic and not for the good. I had not looked up the stats, so thank you for sharing. I'm not surprised to see the regression spelled out in numbers. I think Sirk will have his fair share of growing pains, but I like his upside. He apparently throws a great deep ball, he's very athletic and is a threat to take it to the house with his wheels on any given play...that's a great asset. I'm both excited and nervous about the upcoming season. I'm hoping Duke makes a lot of analysts eat crow at the end of the season. That said, they are finally not automatically picking Duke to finish in the basement, that's a start in the right direction.

johnb
07-05-2015, 10:30 AM
A Miami site previews the Duke game. They pick themselves to win but clearly take Duke seriously.

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2015/7/5/8895319/miami-hurricanes-schedule-preview-duke