PDA

View Full Version : New speakers for Cameron

watzone
09-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Say goodbye to that old distorted speaker system and hello to more speakers than you might imagine ... Cameron upgrades speakers (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2007/9/16/3234651.html)

-jk
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Finally! And if the Dancin' Devils try to take advantage of it all, concessions could pay for them with earplug sales. ;)

-jk

JasonEvans
09-17-2007, 02:38 PM
This is huge news. There is no way to calculate the impact a good sound system can have on the performance of a team on the court. This may be just the extra boost we needed this season!

I would also suggest that the sound system be put to good use right away blaring the words "BE CAREFUL" throughout the entire pre-season practice schedule. We don't want any more injuries to our boys.

--Jason "just having some fun..." Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
09-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Say goodbye to that old distorted speaker system and hello to more speakers than you might imagine ... Cameron upgrades speakers (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2007/9/16/3234651.html)

Can I get a "Hallelujah!" from the chorus! 'Bout time!

Bluedawg
09-17-2007, 03:45 PM

can't wait!

Bluedawg
09-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I would also suggest that the sound system be put to good use right away blaring the words "BE CAREFUL" throughout the entire pre-season practice schedule. We don't want any more injuries to our boys.

--Jason "just having some fun..." Evans

Or Girls!!

Richard Berg
09-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Hopefully this isn't a prelude to playing (even more) canned music at the expense of DUMB.

watzone
09-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I don't think so. It is likely for other events as much as it is hoops. It would be a good way to get a cheer started though;) Wait a minute, thats the bands turf. Hey, slappy, I mean Jason;) You would like the news if you went to all the games.

JasonEvans
09-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't think so. It is likely for other events as much as it is hoops. It would be a good way to get a cheer started though;) Wait a minute, thats the bands turf. Hey, slappy, I mean Jason;) You would like the news if you went to all the games.

I wish I went to the games...

...of course Duke would have to move to Atlanta for that.

-Jason

365Duke
09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Can I get a "Hallelujah!" from the chorus! 'Bout time!

A halle-frickin-lujah!!!!!!!!!

I have been on them for 10 years about this. I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!:D

devil84
09-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I've been going to games in Cameron since '76 -- and I don't believe I've really ever understood a word that comes through those speakers! I'm SO GLAD we'll finally have decent speakers!

Of course, that may make it harder for DUMB to play over whatever the announcer is saying. ;) I'd rather hear the band, personally.
- della

watzone
09-17-2007, 10:04 PM
I've been going to games in Cameron since '76 -- and I don't believe I've really ever understood a word that comes through those speakers! I'm SO GLAD we'll finally have decent speakers!

Of course, that may make it harder for DUMB to play over whatever the announcer is saying. ;) I'd rather hear the band, personally.
- della

I think they will keep the volume a bit tame. I get the impression they'll come in good for other events though. They certainly spared no expense with them and it'll be nice to hear the announcer for a change.

JasonEvans
09-18-2007, 09:04 AM
it'll be nice to hear the announcer for a change.

I've just gotten word that they have hired Ms. Othmar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Othmar) to be the new announcer.

-Jason "waa waa waa waa waaa waaa" Evans

Raleighfan
09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
I hope this means that we up the "high" seats won't get blasted out of the place when the Dancin Devils' music starts up. Also, it would help (in understanding the announcer) if the band didn't start up as soon as he starts to speak (say, when giving half-time stats).

Capn Poptart
09-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Can't wait to hear the new speakers blast the announcer's words...

"HERE...COMES...DUKE!!!!!!"

JasonEvans
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I just got the word, the guy who designed this speaker system is a former Dukie!!

Justo Gutierrez was class of 94 or 95 (I think) and he works for one of the best sound design companies around. He was a die-hard Crazie during his time at Duke and knew the sound system needed some work. So, he went in and pitched the Atheltic Department on putting a new system in place (http://www.eaw.com/frontrow/2007/08/eaw_leads_new_system_at_fabled.html)with him as the designer and he got the gig!

Justy will be going to several Cameron events over the next few months to ensure that everything is running properly. Now that is a job perk I bet we all wish we had!!

--Jason "Justy's brother Giraldo was one of my best friends at Duke-- class of 89" Evans

watzone
09-19-2007, 04:55 PM
I just got the word, the guy who designed this speaker system is a former Dukie!!

Justo Gutierrez was class of 94 or 95 (I think) and he works for one of the best sound design companies around. He was a die-hard Crazie during his time at Duke and knew the sound system needed some work. So, he went in and pitched the Atheltic Department on putting a new system in place (http://www.eaw.com/frontrow/2007/08/eaw_leads_new_system_at_fabled.html)with him as the designer and he got the gig!

Justy will be going to several Cameron events over the next few months to ensure that everything is running properly. Now that is a job perk I bet we all wish we had!!

--Jason "Justy's brother Giraldo was one of my best friends at Duke-- class of 89" Evans

This is huge news. There is no way to calculate the impact a good sound system can have on the performance of a team on the court.
Hee-hee-hee:cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
09-19-2007, 08:12 PM
I've just gotten word that they have hired Ms. Othmar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Othmar) to be the new announcer.

Darn. I was going to apply for the job when it opened up. Actually, I'm not kidding about that.

Indoor66
09-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Darn. I was going to apply for the job when it opened up. Actually, I'm not kidding about that.

It is sad that we will no longer hear the melodious tones of Dr. Art Chandler. He did a great job for many years - and could see real well! Salute! :)

JBDuke
09-20-2007, 03:38 AM
It is sad that we will no longer hear the melodious tones of Dr. Art Chandler. He did a great job for many years - and could see real well! Salute! :)

Um, I think Mr. Evans was kidding when he suggested that the fictional cartoon character, Miss Othmar of Peanuts fame, would be announcing in Cameron this season. I've heard nothing about Dr. Chandler leaving.

jipops
09-20-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm doubting these new speakers will be used to pump in artificial crowd noise.

JasonEvans
09-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm doubting these new speakers will be used to pump in artificial crowd noise.

No, but there are going to be some really cool sound effects available. So, when Gerald soars in for a dunk, you can hear jet enginges going off and stuff like that ;)

--Jason "cheesy, but fun" Evans

Indoor66
09-20-2007, 11:20 AM
\
No, but there are going to be some really cool sound effects available. So, when Gerald soars in for a dunk, you can hear jet enginges going off and stuff like that ;)

--Jason "cheesy, but fun" Evans

Lord, I hope not! Let's play BB in Cameron, not video games. :mad:

B-well
11-02-2007, 11:40 PM
That is why I could so clearly hear Brodhead say "Duke Blue ----Devils" instead of the "Duke BlueDevils" that I have heard my whole long life.

He needed all the help he could get from the speakers that night.

Raleighfan
11-03-2007, 11:10 PM
I've attended both B-W games and the two MBB exhibition games and am sorry to report that I can't tell a bit of difference in speaker quality. For the MBB games, our seats are second row from the top, right under the TV platform; for WBB games, seats are in section 14 about even with an exit door. I've asked others around me about this and they've agreed with my assessment.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-04-2007, 12:40 AM
I've attended both B-W games and the two MBB exhibition games and am sorry to report that I can't tell a bit of difference in speaker quality. For the MBB games, our seats are second row from the top, right under the TV platform; for WBB games, seats are in section 14 about even with an exit door. I've asked others around me about this and they've agreed with my assessment.

I can see speakers all over the place, but I only hear sound like it is coming from the ends of the arena. I think/hope they still need to tinker with the settings and get it figured out, because like you the PA sounds garbled to me. I hope they get it straightened out soon.

jlear
11-04-2007, 12:50 AM
From where I sit, 2nd row of sec 10, I think they sound much better. Perhaps I just expect them to sound better so they do to me.

Cameron
11-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Um, I think Mr. Evans was kidding when he suggested that the fictional cartoon character, Miss Othmar of Peanuts fame, would be announcing in Cameron this season. I've heard nothing about Dr. Chandler leaving.

:D

Am I the only one here that kind of liked the old nostalgic sound the old speakers brought to our legendary building? My guess is yes, but there was just something about that muffled sound quality. It reminded me a lot of the old Boston Garden, the second greatest hoops faciltiy of all-time, behind our's, of course:)

throatybeard
11-05-2007, 12:05 PM
:D

Am I the only one here that kind of liked the old nostalgic sound the old speakers brought to our legendary building? My guess is yes, but there was just something about that muffled sound quality. It reminded me a lot of the old Boston Garden, the second greatest hoops faciltiy of all-time, behind our's, of course:)

Almost no one agrees with me about this, but I think a parquet floor in Cameron would be hella cool.