PDA

View Full Version : 1,000 Club

ksimp112
01-26-2015, 06:01 PM
With Coach K getting 1K yesterday, I was interested to see what other coaches, on all levels of collegiate basketball have or soon will reach this elite milestone. Plus, I just wanted to see how close Coach K-1K was to pass others on this list.

From what I could gather, based off of numerous statistical websites here is who else have achieved it.

Gene Bess (Still Active) - 1,202 wins: Three Rivers Community College (JUCO) in his 44th season this year
Pat Summitt (Retired) - 1,098 wins: Tennessee (D1) 38 years as a coach
Harry Stathem (Still Active) - 1085 wins: McKendree (D2) in his 48th season this year
Danny Miles (Still Active) - 1,016 wins: Oregon Tech (NAIA) in his 44th season this year
Coach K (Still Active) - 1,000 wins: Duke (D1) in his 40th season this year
Herb Magee (Still Active) - 997 wins: Philadelphia (D2) in his 48th season this year

Obviously the level of competition varies drastically, but this is still an impressive list to be a part of.

-jk
01-26-2015, 06:20 PM
C'mon - add Boeheim.. Not quite 40 wins back. The longer he coaches, the longer we get K...

-jk

ksimp112
01-26-2015, 06:49 PM
C'mon - add Boeheim.. Not quite 40 wins back. The longer he coaches, the longer we get K...

-jk

I about did, seeing that he is the only one right now that could pass K.

Tom B.
01-27-2015, 12:17 PM

And Boeheim does hold one record over K -- most wins by a D-1 men's coach at a single school. All of Boeheim's 962 wins are at Syracuse. K needs to net 26 wins against Boeheim to pass him. Probably won't happen until after Boeheim retires.

cato
01-27-2015, 12:25 PM
And Boeheim does hold one record over K -- most wins by a D-1 men's coach at a single school. All of Boeheim's 962 wins are at Syracuse. K needs to net 26 wins against Boeheim to pass him. Probably won't happen until after Boeheim retires.

There is no guarantee that Coach K coaches longer than Boeheim.

Olympic Fan
01-27-2015, 12:42 PM

I agree -- both seem to be in it for the long haul (kind of like Paterno and Bowden a few years back).

But for the record, Coach K is two years younger than Boeheim.

CDu
01-27-2015, 12:44 PM

Yeah, this seems like another Paterno/Bowden scenario where both guys coach into their late-70s (or 80s) because the other one keeps on going. At least I hope that's the case.

I don't think Coach K will retire before Boeheim does, because I don't think he wants to let Boeheim catch his record. So I think it really comes down to either how long Boeheim coaches or how long until one of them has health problems.

Highlander
01-27-2015, 01:28 PM
Yeah, this seems like another Paterno/Bowden scenario where both guys coach into their late-70s (or 80s) because the other one keeps on going. At least I hope that's the case.

I don't think Coach K will retire before Boeheim does, because I don't think he wants to let Boeheim catch his record. So I think it really comes down to either how long Boeheim coaches or how long until one of them has health problems.

See, I disagree somewhat. I could totally see Coach K retiring on his terms when he feels the time is right, even if he is in relatively good health. If Boeheim coaches an additional 2 years and passes him before retiring, I don't think K would lose a lot of sleep over it. Granted, K is a competitive guy and probably wants to beat Boeheim in the record books, but I don't think Jim's coaching status is going to factor that much into Coach K's decision when it comes.

And that scares me a bit, because we may not have a ton of warning when he does decide to step down.

CDu
01-27-2015, 01:35 PM
See, I disagree somewhat. I could totally see Coach K retiring on his terms when he feels the time is right, even if he is in relatively good health. If Boeheim coaches an additional 2 years and passes him before retiring, I don't think K would lose a lot of sleep over it. Granted, K is a competitive guy and probably wants to beat Boeheim in the record books, but I don't think Jim's coaching status is going to factor that much into Coach K's decision when it comes.

And that scares me a bit, because we may not have a ton of warning when he does decide to step down.

You may be right. But personally, I think you are underestimating the competitiveness and ego (in a good way - you don't get where Coach K has gotten without an ego) that Coach K has. I think this record means a lot to him, and I think he doesn't want to see anyone pass him while he could still do something about it.

I'm hopeful that, because Boeheim is actually a bit older, he decides hang it up before Coach K does. Or that Coach K can create enough distance that Boeheim can't catch up even with a few more seasons. But I'd not be at all surprised to see both guys hang on in hopes that the other quits.

The only way I could see Coach K leaving early is if he really starts to slip in terms of health or success. I don't think he'd hang on if he was winning only 15-20 games a year. But as long as he's winning 25+ games and as long as Boeheim is nipping at his heels, I'd expect him to keep going.

That being said, I'd not be at all shocked if both are retired within the next 5 years. I certainly wouldn't bet on it, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I could see both hanging it up in their early 70s or both hanging on trying to outlast the other, with nearly equal probability.

BrazyATX
01-27-2015, 01:46 PM

K could make up some ground with more ACC and NCAA tourney success as well, not just head to head.

CDu
01-27-2015, 01:55 PM
K could make up some ground with more ACC and NCAA tourney success as well, not just head to head.

I suspect that Coach K will gain 5-10 wins on Boeheim this year alone, if Syracuse's recent results are any indication.

Tom B.
01-27-2015, 02:38 PM

That's what I meant (or at least part of what I meant). K doesn't need to beat Boeheim head-to-head 36 times (my math was wrong before -- it's 36, not 26) -- he only needs to win 36 more games over the remainder of his career at Duke (however long that is) than Boeheim wins over the remainder of his career at Syracuse. Conceivably, this could happen if they both coach, say, another five or six years and Duke consistently wins six or seven more games per year than Syracuse. The more likely way it would happen, though -- if it happens at all -- is that K would chip away at the gap for a few years, then Boeheim would retire and K would coach for at least one more season, which would let K make up the rest of the gap more quickly.

superdave
01-27-2015, 03:30 PM
For next season, Syracuse loses Rakeen Christmas, their leading scorer and rebounder. They will have Cooney, Gbinije and several other key guys back so the cupboard is not bare.

Syracuse's recruiting class consists of #19 Malachi Richardson, #55 Moustapha Diagne, #64 Tyler Lydon and #91 Franklin Howard. I doub there are any game changers in that group for at least a year or two.

Coach K may be able to widen the gap between him and Boeheim over the next few seasons.

elvis14
01-27-2015, 04:40 PM
When I think of the possibility that Boeheim could end up with more victories than Coach K (assuming he could stick around a few more years than Coach K) it kinda bothers me....a lot. If someone were to ask me what the top basketball programs are or have been for the last 30 years or so, I don't think Syracuse would on the list. Maybe I'm just wrong and they have been better than I'm giving them credit for but I just don't think of them as a perennial powerhouse like Duke (or UK, KU, etc) and it would just seem wrong for Coach K to be passed Boeheim. I know I'm being a total Duke basketball homer but I'm OK with that :-)

jv001
01-27-2015, 04:46 PM
When I think of the possibility that Boeheim could end up with more victories than Coach K (assuming he could stick around a few more years than Coach K) it kinda bothers me....a lot. If someone were to ask me what the top basketball programs are or have been for the last 30 years or so, I don't think Syracuse would on the list. Maybe I'm just wrong and they have been better than I'm giving them credit for but I just don't think of them as a perennial powerhouse like Duke (or UK, KU, etc) and it would just seem wrong for Coach K to be passed Boeheim. I know I'm being a total Duke basketball homer but I'm OK with that :-)

I guess you can call me a homer as well. I don't want anyone to pass Coach K in wins. As for your list of outstanding college programs, I would have had the ugly blue team down the road on my list, but they blew it by cheating to get many of their wins. GoDuke!

BrazyATX
01-27-2015, 05:20 PM

I'm sure the majority of Duke fans feel the same way. When I think of Blue Bloods, Syracuse is not on that list, not even close really. That said, I do have a lot of respect for Boeheim, and if anyone is to break it, I would have less of an issue with him over several out there. Of active coaches, Boeheim, Self or Izzo would be my short list of guys I'd be 'okay-but-not-really' with.

CDu
01-27-2015, 05:51 PM
I think it is worth noting that not all wins are created equally. For all of the complaints about Duke not scheduling enough tough non-con games (lack of "true road games", for example), Syracuse is MUCH worse about it (regardless of the veracity of the claims about Duke). They are notorious for padding their preseason resume with games at home and against nobodies. The only games they get against high-quality foes tend to be at home or at MSG or in the late rounds of a preseason tourney. So in some ways Boeheim's win totals are inflated relative to Coach K's total. Boeheim has also benefitted a tad due to the expanded Big East tourney.

Coach K has been much better in the NCAA tourney, and I strongly suspect he has been better in conference tourney play and preseason tourney play as well.

gep
01-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Well... in the St. John's post-game (I think), when asked about 1000 wins, Coach K said something like that it was a number, that he coaches for the game at hand, and if they take care of business, these win totals take care of themselves. He also said something like there will be other 1000 game coaches, but it's kinda neat to be the first one. So whoever gets to 1000 wins, they can never say that they were the first.:cool:

But hopefully, even if others get to 1000 wins, Coach K will still have the "most" wins... whatever that number ends up to be.

Edouble
01-28-2015, 01:43 AM
But hopefully, even if others get to 1000 wins, Coach K will still have the "most" wins... whatever that number ends up to be.

stillcrazie
01-28-2015, 09:07 AM
http://www.goduke.com/?DB_OEM_ID=4200

Coach K on the zone, the losing streak, etc. Really great stuff.

Reilly
01-28-2015, 09:55 AM
With respect to Blue Blood status, here's the total # of national championships, final four appearances, regular season conf. championships and tourney conf. championships since 1976-77 (Boeheim's first year at Syracuse):

Kentucky - 49 (4 national, 9 FF, 36 conf)
UNC - 45 (4 national, 12 FF, 29 conf)
Duke - 44 (4 national, 12 FF, 28 conf)
Kansas - 43 (2 national, 7 FF, 34 conf)
Louisville - 43 (3 national, 7 FF, 33 conf)

UCLA - 23 (1 national, 5 FF, 17 conf)
Georgetown - 22 (1 national, 4 FF, 17 conf)
Syracuse - 21 (1 national, 4 FF, 16 conf)
Florida - 20 (2 national, 5 FF, 13 conf)
Indiana - 15 (2 national, 4 FF, 9 conf)

Of course Indiana and UCLA did not have as many opportunities to win conference tournament championships.

Syracuse is the only school on the list with only one coach in that time. Duke had three (hi, Pete Gaudet). Georgetown three (two only differentiated by a suffix).

My counting may have mistakes; numbers from www.sports-reference.com I just hand-picked these teams, feel free to look up others.

superdave
01-28-2015, 11:17 AM
I enjoyed Featherston's article breaking down the 1,000 wins a couple of different ways.

One particularly enjoyable fact was that Coach K has beaten Maryland 55 times, more than any other opponent. I work in DC so I am going to share that little tidbit with some of the Maryland alums around here.

JasonEvans
01-28-2015, 11:39 AM
With respect to Blue Blood status, here's the total # of national championships, final four appearances, regular season conf. championships and tourney conf. championships since 1976-77 (Boeheim's first year at Syracuse):

Kentucky - 49 (4 national, 9 FF, 36 conf)
UNC - 45 (4 national, 12 FF, 29 conf)
Duke - 44 (4 national, 12 FF, 28 conf)
Kansas - 43 (2 national, 7 FF, 34 conf)
Louisville - 43 (3 national, 7 FF, 33 conf)

UCLA - 23 (1 national, 5 FF, 17 conf)
Georgetown - 22 (1 national, 4 FF, 17 conf)
Syracuse - 21 (1 national, 4 FF, 16 conf)
Florida - 20 (2 national, 5 FF, 13 conf)
Indiana - 15 (2 national, 4 FF, 9 conf)

Great work with this list, Reilly.

Syracuse has made the Final Four in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 10s under Boeheim. They've not been quite as consistent as Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky but they are clearly right in that next tier and are in the discussion for the the 5th best program behind the 4 big boys previously mentioned. Syracuse has the 5th most appearances in the AP Poll (http://collegepollarchive.com/mbasketball/ap/app_total.cfm?sort=totapp&from=1976&to=2015#.VMkPNf54rYg) since Boeheim arrived on campus. OVerall, Syracuse has the 5th most wins all-time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_teams_with_the_most_victories_in_NCAA_Divi sion_I_men%27s_college_basketball) for any basketball program.

I'm not sure what some folks in this thread were talking about in saying that Syracuse wasn't one of the top programs. I agree that they do not measure up to the big four, but they are every bit alongside 4 or 5 other programs that would make up the ten best in modern college basketball.

-Jason "I agree that K will want to stick around until after Boeheim retires -- I hope they both coach another decade or two!" Evans

Highlander
01-28-2015, 04:51 PM
You may be right. But personally, I think you are underestimating the competitiveness and ego (in a good way - you don't get where Coach K has gotten without an ego) that Coach K has. I think this record means a lot to him, and I think he doesn't want to see anyone pass him while he could still do something about it.

I'm hopeful that, because Boeheim is actually a bit older, he decides hang it up before Coach K does. Or that Coach K can create enough distance that Boeheim can't catch up even with a few more seasons. But I'd not be at all surprised to see both guys hang on in hopes that the other quits.

The only way I could see Coach K leaving early is if he really starts to slip in terms of health or success. I don't think he'd hang on if he was winning only 15-20 games a year. But as long as he's winning 25+ games and as long as Boeheim is nipping at his heels, I'd expect him to keep going.

That being said, I'd not be at all shocked if both are retired within the next 5 years. I certainly wouldn't bet on it, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I could see both hanging it up in their early 70s or both hanging on trying to outlast the other, with nearly equal probability.

One other thought - if and when recruits start to steer clear of Duke because of K's age and future commitment, I could see K moving aggressively to a successor to ensure the longevity of the program. In other words, the "Coach K may not be there by the time you graduate" argument. This is part of what submarined Bill Guthridge's recruiting at UNC. That's a non issue for the one and done types, as they aren't expected to stick around more than a year anyway, so it is probably less of an issue than it was 20 years ago. Also, Boeheim has the exact same problem, so this is probably a push.

Edouble
01-28-2015, 07:30 PM
One other thought - if and when recruits start to steer clear of Duke because of K's age and future commitment, I could see K moving aggressively to a successor to ensure the longevity of the program. In other words, the "Coach K may not be there by the time you graduate" argument. This is part of what submarined Bill Guthridge's recruiting at UNC. That's a non issue for the one and done types, as they aren't expected to stick around more than a year anyway, so it is probably less of an issue than it was 20 years ago. Also, Boeheim has the exact same problem, so this is probably a push.

Yeah, that and Gut telling Jason Williams he couldn't come because he'd already signed Adam Boone.

dukelifer
01-28-2015, 08:43 PM
I enjoyed Featherston's article breaking down the 1,000 wins a couple of different ways.

One particularly enjoyable fact was that Coach K has beaten Maryland 55 times, more than any other opponent. I work in DC so I am going to share that little tidbit with some of the Maryland alums around here.

And I can recall a bunch where Maryland lost the game right at the end.

grad_devil
02-07-2015, 08:47 PM
A hearty congratulations to Herb Magee of Philadelphia University (DII) who got win 1,000 today when his team defeated Post University 80-60.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/02/07/philadelphia-herb-magee-1000-win-mike-krzyzewski/23048841/

Next up, Boeheim? If he weathers the current mess that is Syracuse basketball.