PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. St Johns (Jan 25, 2015)

JBDuke
01-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 77-68 win over St. Johns this afternoon?

bbosbbos
01-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Marshall ! MP3 !

grossbus
01-25-2015, 04:29 PM
I concur.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-25-2015, 04:29 PM
MP3!

GGLC
01-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Gotta go with Tyus.

DukeDiva
01-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Voted for MP3 because there wasn't a TEAM option. Took a lot of grit to come back, happy to see the fight that we have been missing.

MCFinARL
01-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Great contributions by a lot of players, but MP3 gets my vote because he was the difference maker--when he came in, it noticeably disrupted St. John's' offense.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 04:35 PM
tyus was incredible. But Marshall was the MOTM.

Bob Green
01-25-2015, 04:45 PM
I voted for Marshall Plumlee as he was key after Jefferson went to the bench with foul trouble. But I have to say, he should have chosen the Navy! :)

gep
01-25-2015, 04:46 PM
MARSHALL!!!! Game changed completely when he went in. Strong rebounds, defense... :cool:

duke74
01-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Tyus was great. But our toughness increased with MP3. Split vote here

weezie
01-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Marshall yes. But I kept my bad words to a minimum so I'm feeling good about me.

devildeac
01-25-2015, 05:01 PM
I voted for Marshall Plumlee as he was key after Jefferson went to the bench with foul trouble. But I have to say, he should have chosen the Navy! :)

Too tall:p.

(oh, wait, never mind-David Robinson;))

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Marshall is always my player of the game. Unless it's Amile or Matt or Justise or Tyus or Sheed or Jah etc, etc. But, bless his heart! Really, really. I love that sweet/ornery kid.
Love, Ima

mgtr
01-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Tyus was the man of the match, but MP3 was a MAN out there, really helped turn things around. So, I voted for MP3.

Leelee902
01-25-2015, 05:32 PM
I actually split my vote between mp3 and MATT jones. Thought he also brought a lot of grit. Two tough, timely lay ups when not much was going and two awesome offensive Rebs on free throw misses to help fuel the comeback.

DevilYouthCoach
01-25-2015, 05:49 PM
I actually split my vote between mp3 and MATT jones. Thought he also brought a lot of grit. Two tough, timely lay ups when not much was going and two awesome offensive Rebs on free throw misses to help fuel the comeback.

There was no doubt in my mind that Quinn Cook was the guy who most got the win for us! Of course, Marshall deserves his popularity -- who could resist that impish smile and the bulldog manner on the court, and of course he played good defense at the end and got some key rebounds, but it was Quinn who started the rally at the end with an unbelievable drive and spinning layup under a lot of outstretched arms. And it was Quinn who hit an impossible three to bring us even. And it was Quinn who made the initial batch of free throws to keep the lead. Quinn played almost the entire game as well, and to my mind, he deserves MOTM.

jipops
01-25-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm going with Quinn. He was a terrific senior leader down the stretch making huge plays.

duke74
01-25-2015, 05:59 PM
The responses here are interesting...and all spot on. I guess they may actually say that many of the team members contributed when it mattered...each contributing in his own way. I thought Tyus and MP3 carried the day...but Quinn showed some real senior leadership and production when the game was slipping away. Matt contributed toughness and defense. Jah came alive...thought he showed some raw emtion. He plays so in check...you know there's a fire...but I though he just had enough of the mugging and grab defense. And although he had some foul trouble, Amile made some good off the ball/weak side movements to get some easy baskets...also displayed a post move or two in the first half.

In all, thrilled with the outcome. Will toughen the team...without the "L" on the record to drive the point home.

gotoguy
01-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Wojo commented on senior leadership Quin came through in the second half.

SupaDave
01-25-2015, 07:12 PM
If Marshall doesn't come in then we lose by 20. Seriously.

He stopped the whole running out after a Duke miss situation - which in turn slowed the game down for our guards. All Marshall.

He also eliminated the triple teaming on Oak.

Great show by all.

DukeDevilDeb
01-25-2015, 07:47 PM
If Marshall doesn't come in then we lose by 20. Seriously.

He stopped the whole running out after a Duke miss situation - which in turn slowed the game down for our guards. All Marshall.

He also eliminated the triple teaming on Oak.

Great show by all.

This is what Coach K means when he uses his fist analogy... Marshall was the defensive hero; Quinn was the leader hero; Tyus was the scoring hero; Matt was the heart hero; and on and on. They played way below their capability for the middle 20 minutes, then when Marshall came in, the wind changed. I was looking at the scoreboard and we were down by 10... and then I realized we had a lead. AMAZING! What a fitting way to go to 1K!

westwall
01-25-2015, 09:10 PM
---- but Marshall was the difference.

duke blue brewcrew
01-25-2015, 09:25 PM
The game turned once MP3 and Jah were on the floor at the same time. MP3 was a beast on the boards and helped Duke get the stops it needed to start the comeback run.

throatybeard
01-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 77-68 win over St. Johns this afternoon?

Michael Krzyzewski.

wilko
01-25-2015, 09:57 PM
LT3
During one sequence he took the ball away from 3 St. Johns players on a defensive rebound
#ArmyStrong

magjayran
01-25-2015, 10:02 PM
I'm going with Quinn. He decided that the team wasn't going to lose and provided the inspiration to everyone else.

Newton_14
01-25-2015, 10:28 PM
I went with Marshall as I just think he played a very large role in the win today, a key role, maybe the key role, without a lot of minutes or stats, though I think he had like 5 rebounds. Had MP3 not played such a key role, I would have voted for Tyus who just yet again, came up big in a big game. He has developed quite a knack for that. So shout out to Tyus for a really great game. His 3 to make it 72-65 sealed it.

Shout outs to Quinn and Jahlil as they helped Tyus carry the load offensively. Honorable mentions to Amile, Matt, and Rasheed.

Great coaching by the Master and congrats to him and his program for 1K. Awesome achievement.

Great day for the Duke Blue Devils.

Dukehky
01-26-2015, 12:41 AM
I went with Marshall as I just think he played a very large role in the win today, a key role, maybe the key role, without a lot of minutes or stats, though I think he had like 5 rebounds. Had MP3 not played such a key role, I would have voted for Tyus who just yet again, came up big in a big game. He has developed quite a knack for that. So shout out to Tyus for a really great game. His 3 to make it 72-65 sealed it.

Shout outs to Quinn and Jahlil as they helped Tyus carry the load offensively. Honorable mentions to Amile, Matt, and Rasheed.

Great coaching by the Master and congrats to him and his program for 1K. Awesome achievement.

Great day for the Duke Blue Devils.

Jah makes the whole thing go. It's always Jah. He is the most incredible freshman basketball player that I have ever seen. If we would get him the ball even more, we would all sleep better at night.

Devilwin
01-26-2015, 06:59 AM
So many heroes, hard to pick just one. Quinn was great, MP3 certainly gave us a much needed spark, as did Matt Jones. But my vote goes to Tyus Jones, for his clutch shots that helped us inch away from a scrappy, talented, (and dirty) St John's team.
MP3 needs more playing time with Jahlil. Having the two big guys out there at the same time disrupts the other team's inside game.
At the same time, we need Winslow's skills and Amille's grit too. But it's not for me to doubt the Master.
1000 wins!:D

CDu
01-26-2015, 10:18 AM
If I could have voted for all five of Plumlee, Jones, Jones, Cook, and Okafor, I would have. I went with Plumlee, but the other four deserve a lot of credit too.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-26-2015, 10:26 AM
I voted for Tyus Jones, "as our freshman point guard goes so our team goes" However, MP3 and Quinn Cook get major points for toughness down the stretch. Also, how nasty was that cross over step back 3 by Quinn!!! That was my favorite play of the season so far.

MCFinARL
01-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Marshall yes. But I kept my bad words to a minimum so I'm feeling good about me.

Yes, weezie, I have to agree--you kept a positive attitude in chat when some of us were faltering--and in the end you were proven right. Good for you!

bluedev_92
01-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Marshall all the way. I've been waiting for that lineup to show itself. May need it against the likes of Kentucky. He changed the dynamic. If you double or triple team Jah with Marshall in there - he is big enough for the guards to find & when they are concerned with both of our bigs getting easy baskets - guard penetration & dish gets easier. Also much harder for the opponent to dribble drive with guys that size on either side of the basket.

duke blue brewcrew
01-26-2015, 01:42 PM
/
Marshall all the way. I've been waiting for that lineup to show itself. May need it against the likes of Kentucky. He changed the dynamic. If you double or triple team Jah with Marshall in there - he is big enough for the guards to find & when they are concerned with both of our bigs getting easy baskets - guard penetration & dish gets easier. Also much harder for the opponent to dribble drive with guys that size on either side of the basket.

I love MP3 and I agree with everything you just said. The only problem is, 9 of 10 times the ball is passed to Marshall, he panics. Off of rebounds, he seems to handle the ball a lot better. But, when it's in the flow of the offense and a nice pass from someone, there's a good chance it's going to bounce off of him and redirect somewhere. That's the moment when I'm flashing back to that popular scene from Necessary Roughness - "Don't throw it to Stone Hands!!!"

moonpie23
01-26-2015, 01:48 PM
I'm going with Quinn.......there was a point where duke needed to land a serious punch to the face, and Q landed a SOLID right !!!!

.....that 3 was HUGE.....it said "we are DUKE"...

my man...

jv001
01-26-2015, 04:23 PM
/

I love MP3 and I agree with everything you just said. The only problem is, 9 of 10 times the ball is passed to Marshall, he panics. Off of rebounds, he seems to handle the ball a lot better. But, when it's in the flow of the offense and a nice pass from someone, there's a good chance it's going to bounce off of him and redirect somewhere. That's the moment when I'm flashing back to that popular scene from Necessary Roughness - "Don't throw it to Stone Hands!!!"

Right now, 93 posters do not agree with you. If you look closely at every Duke player, you can find one, two or three negatives in their games. I do agree MPIII needs to be stronger with the ball. GoDuke!
I apologize to you duke bluecrew. I see where you voted for Marshall. GoDuke!

duke blue brewcrew
01-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Right now, 93 posters do not agree with you. If you look closely at every Duke player, you can find one, two or three negatives in their games. I do agree MPIII needs to be stronger with the ball. GoDuke!
I apologize to you duke bluecrew. I see where you voted for Marshall. GoDuke!

I love MP3 and yes, I voted for him. I just wish he had better hands, that's all. His athleticism, focus and intensity are not in question. His ability to catch a pass in the flow of the offense and make a basket is. He did come up with a beautiful hook shot recently that I was very impressed by. I would love to see him do more of that - a 7' with a hook shot is a dangerous weapon! I would love to see him convert some lob opportunities. He has the leaping ability and 0' shots take some of the difficulty out of the equation.

Edouble
01-27-2015, 08:36 PM
/

I don't think he panics. I think he just has bad hands.

Edouble
01-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Jah makes the whole thing go. It's always Jah. He is the most incredible freshman basketball player that I have ever seen. If we would get him the ball even more, we would all sleep better at night.

Really?

Weird, because Jabari Parker is the best to ever play at Duke. :rolleyes: