PDA

View Full Version : The Zone

Emerrick
01-25-2015, 08:48 AM
I'm getting sick of hearing how Jim Boeheim taught Coach K the zone. I'm curious what other people think, have heard or know about how much of an influence Boeheim actually had on K's zone. Is it real or just a convenient link the media is using?

davekay1971
01-25-2015, 09:32 AM
I'm getting sick of hearing how Jim Boeheim taught Coach K the zone. I'm curious what other people think, have heard or know about how much of an influence Boeheim actually had on K's zone. Is it real or just a convenient link the media is using?

Coach K has talked, in the past, about how he learned a tremendous amount about the zone from working with Coach Boeheim through USA Basketball. That being said, Duke is employing a pretty straightforward 2-3 zone, and it doesn't look, to me, to be a carbon copy of the Syracuse zone in it's execution. Anybody's who's played junior high basketball is familiar with the zone Duke is using, so I certainly don't think Boeheim "taught" it to K. I would hope, however, that Coach K is utilizing every bit of zone knowledge and experience he plucked from Boeheim's bald head to make our zone as good as possible. Heck, I hope he's emailing Tark the Shark and Coach Beilein while he's at it.

DevilWearsPrada
01-25-2015, 09:40 AM
As long as our Duke Team is N THE ZONE, and gets the Win............ it doesn't matter to me whether they play Zone, Man 2 Man, or good plain Basketball with good Duke Defense, and secure the Victory!

Coach K 1 K

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Back in the day, UNLV used their "amoeba zone" in the Tark days. I recall K adopting a similar zone in very isolated instances after we played them, and I figured that he saw some benefits after spending so much time dissecting it to actually use it.

But that was few and far between -- yet the first real break I recall from Knight-inspired strict m2m.

Having said all that, Boeheim does deserve the lion's share of the credit AFAIK for really showing K the benefits of zone. They no doubt discussed it many times, over many years by now.

Henderson
01-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Having said all that, Boeheim does deserve the lion's share of the credit AFAIK for really showing K the benefits of zone. They no doubt discussed it many times, over many years by now.

This. But it goes deeper. K has been a student who keeps on learning, not just from Boeheim, but from whatever influences will better the team. It's been really fun to see that happen.

67 years old? It's enough to make a boy optimistic about his own potential.