PDA

View Full Version : GTHCGTH - WBB: Duke 74, Carolina 67

AIM4excellence
01-24-2015, 10:49 PM
The women have every bit as much of the rivalry feeling as the guys do. The UNCheaters hold a substantial lead in the series - it was a HUGE lead before Alana Beard/Iciss Tillis/Vicki Kraphol went 11-0 against them during their careers at Duke.

GTHCGTH!

Kedsy
01-24-2015, 11:05 PM
GTHCGTH!

I think we can all get on board with this sentiment. Let's go Duke!

OldPhiKap
01-24-2015, 11:07 PM
9f! Lgd!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-24-2015, 11:22 PM
9f! Lgd!
Qfe!

LGD! GTHc! 9F!

uh_no
01-25-2015, 02:23 AM
would certainly put the saeason bakc on track. Go Devils!

DU82
01-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Ahead by a touchdown and the two point conversion, 19-11. Sylvia's jacket belongs in the Mr. Blackwell Hall of Shame.

DU82
01-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Getting into early foul trouble. Naturally, the Cheaters haven't committed (been called for) enough. 21-19, with a chance to tie, with Erin (in because of the foul trouble) with good D on the break.

GGLC
01-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Our offense is so ugly to watch (and right now completely ineffective).

AIM4excellence
01-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Our offense is so ugly to watch (and right now completely ineffective).

That pretty well sums it up. Heels up 47-46 under 15 to go.

Duvall
01-25-2015, 06:29 PM
We've had a lot of criticisms for McCallie - like, a lot - but the players that stay always play hard, even when they don't necessarily play well. That counts for a lot.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 06:54 PM
EWill came to play. Let's go Duke!

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Nice d by EWill on last play of regulation. OT.

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Two big comebacks by the Duke bball teams. Got to love it.

GGLC
01-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Woohoo! That was great.

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2015, 07:31 PM
That was the best I've seen EWill play in a long while...wow! The block to save the game was perfectly fitting, and the way the team stood strong in OT was great. Excellent, excellent win.
GTHC!

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Nice win. LGD!

burnspbesq
01-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Gutty performance by our team. I have to admit, I expected us to lose this game by a lot. But we fought and fought and fought some more, and Carolina played away from their strengths and into ours. That more than makes up for the BC game.

ETA: Time for a quick visit to IC. I expect that Sylvia is being pilloried right about now.

devildeac
01-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Great finish to a great Duke BB day. Shame I'm on call and can't celebrate the victories except with a couple extra Hershey's Nuggets. There's always tomorrow;).

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Gutty performance by our team. I have to admit, I expected us to lose this game by a lot. But we fought and fought and fought some more, and Carolina played away from their strengths and into ours. That more than makes up for the BC game.

ETA: Time for a quick visit to IC. I expect that Sylvia is being pilloried right about now.

But at least she gets prettier every year.

burnspbesq
01-25-2015, 07:43 PM

No idea what to say in response to that. Somebody spork this guy!

CameronBlue
01-25-2015, 07:48 PM

Ummm...When there's nowhere to go but up...

George Burns wants his smoking jacket back.

stillcrazie
01-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Can't we refrain from critiquing a woman's appearance? We rarely do this with men in sports.

The one notable exception is when UNCheaters call Coach K "rat face." I like to say, "If that is all you can criticize about him, you must think he is a pretty good coach."

burnspbesq
01-25-2015, 07:59 PM
I'll watch this one again later, but I don't think my impression is going to change.

Sylvia gift-wrapped this one and handed it to us.

(1) Carolina has a huge advantage in quickness in the back court, and we don't have a D1-caliber point guard. How many times did we face full-court man-to-man pressure?

(2) After about 8:00 to go in the second half, Carolina's shooters avoided the corners as though they were radioactive. This after killing us early in the second by going wing-high post-corner to get a bunch of open looks.

(3) When Elizabeth is feeling it, you have to make her a passer by doubling down hard. Double from the high post if Greenwell is on the same side of the floor, or double from the corner or the wing if Greenwell is on the other side. Make Ka'lia and Azur'a beat you with perimeter jump shots. If Elizabeth ends up with eight assists, well, so be it.

Not to downplay a great effort by our young women, but Carolina did not play smart.

burnspbesq
01-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Can't we refrain from critiquing a woman's appearance? We rarely do this with men in sports. "

Does "Sweat, Gary, Sweat" ring any bells? And I guarantee you that if the men had ever played Tennessee while Bruce Pearl was coach, the orange blazer would have been the only thing you heard about. We don't get to choose our opponents' foibles, and Sylvia is one of the two top fashion felons in all of college basketball.

sagegrouse
01-25-2015, 08:06 PM
I learned something today. I thought both teams were tired in overtime. But, if you're 6-4, like several of the Duke players -- and tired -- you're still 6-4. I thought our size was too much for Carolina at the end of the game.

DU82
01-25-2015, 08:21 PM
I'll watch this one again later, but I don't think my impression is going to change.

Sylvia gift-wrapped this one and handed it to us.

(1) Carolina has a huge advantage in quickness in the back court, and we don't have a D1-caliber point guard. How many times did we face full-court man-to-man pressure?

(2) After about 8:00 to go in the second half, Carolina's shooters avoided the corners as though they were radioactive. This after killing us early in the second by going wing-high post-corner to get a bunch of open looks.

(3) When Elizabeth is feeling it, you have to make her a passer by doubling down hard. Double from the high post if Greenwell is on the same side of the floor, or double from the corner or the wing if Greenwell is on the other side. Make Ka'lia and Azur'a beat you with perimeter jump shots. If Elizabeth ends up with eight assists, well, so be it.

Not to downplay a great effort by our young women, but Carolina did not play smart.

I concur with the first point. I wondered that late in the second half, too.

Regarding the corners, seemed that we got out there more often. Plus they only had one decent shooter (Gray) hitting.

Third point, many of E's shots came from drives from the side, not direct post feeds. But don't disagree with the thought in general.

I'd check out IC and see what they think of their coach this evening, but don't want to ruin a very nice day. :D

stillcrazie
01-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Does "Sweat, Gary, Sweat" ring any bells? And I guarantee you that if the men had ever played Tennessee while Bruce Pearl was coach, the orange blazer would have been the only thing you heard about. We don't get to choose our opponents' foibles, and Sylvia is one of the two top fashion felons in all of college basketball.

I don't mind critiquing her godawful wardrobe...or Gary's sweat or Pearl's jacket. I should have been more specific: it's about the unattractiveness of the person. Privately, I used to call Brenda F. (Maryland women's coach) Jabba the Hut until I realized I was falling into the trap of criticizing a woman's appearance rather than her talent/skill/ability. In general, people comment on men's athletic or coaching abilities or mistakes, but when it comes to female athletes/coaches, the subject is more often their looks.

Henderson
01-25-2015, 08:42 PM
In general, people comment on men's athletic or coaching abilities or mistakes, but when it comes to female athletes/coaches, the subject is more often their looks.

Go to Inside Carolina, search for "rat face" then come back and make your point again.

Remember Lou Henson's comb over? Gene Keady's?

CameronBlue
01-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Can't we refrain from critiquing a woman's appearance? We rarely do this with men in sports.

The one notable exception is when UNCheaters call Coach K "rat face." I like to say, "If that is all you can criticize about him, you must think he is a pretty good coach."

I can but I chose not to. Admittedly criticizing a coach's appearance is among the least clever utterances you'll read on a message board but please don't drag sexism into the argument. The coach is usually a target whether men's or women's basketball are involved. The comments on Lefty Drissell's pate are legendary among Duke fans, Dean's nose, Carl Tacy's miraculous bi-coastal combover...I could go on. Even Coach K has taken a shot or two 'round these parts for his youthful hair (what IS his secret?)

If you want you want to lead the charge for squelching out posts that mock any coach's appearance, then yes, I'll do my part.

burnspbesq
01-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Box score tidbits:

Points in the paint: Duke 46, UNC 18.

Turnovers/opponent points off turnovers: Duke 23/16 (not bad), UNC 14/12.

Carolina 9-for-33 from the field in the second half, including 3-for-16 from three.

Offensive rebound percentage: Duke 50%, UNC 35.8%.

Offensive efficiency: Duke .900 PPP, UNC .823 PPP.

Duvall
01-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Go to Inside Carolina, search for "rat face" then come back and make your point again.

This board has higher standards than IC, or at least it claims to.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 08:51 PM

No one here has ever compared Roy to Huckleberry Hound?

Lefty and Dean we're targets for their looks. Still are.

The chat I was in was asking about Steve Lavin's brylcreem.

Hell, I make fun of K's hair.

It was a joke. If you're not amused, I'm not offended. But the idea that it is somehow sexist is silly.

burnspbesq
01-25-2015, 09:03 PM
The one thing we never criticize for being ugly are wins against Carolina.

killerleft
01-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Superb rivalry win (as all must be by definition:)). If we ever cut the turnovers down to 15, we'll be kickin' bottoms and takin' names! Neither team played very well, but both gave it their all. I was really pleased to see the Devils perform with such spirit and togetherness.

Congrats especially to Elizabeth! She should sleep well tonight after the mauling she took. The refs were horrible. They called a couple on Azura that bordered on lunacy. It always seems to pay to be the home team in women's ball.

burnspbesq
01-25-2015, 09:18 PM

It was a joke. If you're not amused, I'm not offended. But the idea that it is somehow sexist is silly.

Norm Sloan's plaid jacket and Sidney Lowe's red blazer want to know how you could forget about them. Ditto for Bobby Cremins' accent.

devildeac
01-25-2015, 09:26 PM

I'm sorry but this is downright ugly and frightening:

And one should probably be wondering if he really needs a trip to the men's room.

Hell, even Esquire doesn't take too kindly to this sartorial "splendor" (cough). ("Because there are glen-plaid sports jackets, and then there is fked-up glen-plaid-meets-windowpane. Also, too: easy on the Tar Heel Blue, big guy.")

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/style-guides/roy-williams-suits-2012#slide-13

And I didn't ask about Lavin's brylcreem. I said he needed a little dab more. :p

devildeac
01-25-2015, 09:42 PM
This is pretty horrific, too:

Anybody recognize that young guy;)?

But, I digress. Pretty amazing win by the women today.

Duvall
01-25-2015, 09:45 PM
If you don't understand the difference between making fun of a garish jacket and "Sylvia Hatchell is ugly, that's the joke" then I don't think anyone can help you.

burnspbesq
01-25-2015, 09:48 PM

Judging by the length of the collar and the width of the tie, I would put that at around 1974.

throatybeard
01-25-2015, 09:49 PM
If you don't understand the difference between making fun of a garish jacket and "Sylvia Hatchell is ugly, that's the joke" then I don't think anyone can help you.

Not to mention someone is making fun of a leukemia survivor's looks. That right there is classy.

uh_no
01-25-2015, 09:56 PM

mr zone himself, i believe.

Tappan Zee Devil
01-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Judging by the length of the collar and the width of the tie, I would put that at around 1974.

I really don't want to see a picture of what I was wearing in 1974.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 10:21 PM

Thanks for telling us what is funny and what is not. I'll keep that in mind.

Not to mention someone is making fun of a leukemia survivor's looks. That right there is classy.

No offense, but how does your mind even go there to bring this up? What could you possibly read in ANY comment above to even get in the neighborhood of your comment?

Good gravy.

sagegrouse
01-25-2015, 10:43 PM

A bit later -- he became head coach in 1976.

sagegrouse
01-25-2015, 10:44 PM
I really don't want to see a picture of what I was wearing in 1974.

I can't really remember anything except bell bottoms.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 10:47 PM
I can't really remember anything except bell bottoms.

Corduroy pants, velour shirts. Pre-leisure suit (3 piece, of course).

Henderson
01-25-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't know about the clothes of the era, but bathroom mirrors seemed a lot more interesting then.

Anyhoo, good win for the team, and a nice acknowledgement by Coach P in her presser of Coach K.

burnspbesq
01-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Corduroy pants, velour shirts. Pre-leisure suit (3 piece, of course).

I think I have managed to collect and burn every picture of me in a three-piece, Carolina Blue corduroy suit. I can't do anything about the one in my college yearbook of me wearing the vest from that suit with a white shirt and jeans while playing backup for a friend of mine in her performance at the college cabaret.

Kfanarmy
01-25-2015, 11:43 PM
Soooo. The women beat UNC I hear...

OZ
01-26-2015, 12:16 AM
The one thing we never criticize for being ugly are wins against Carolina.

But it would seem you did just that. In fact, you seem to conclude that it was actually not a win but a gift.

"Sylvia gift-wrapped this one and handed it to us."

burnspbesq
01-26-2015, 02:23 AM
But it would seem you did just that. In fact, you seem to conclude that it was actually not a win but a gift.

"Sylvia gift-wrapped this one and handed it to us."

Oh, good grief. Lighten up, Frances.

"Coach Hatchell made a number of curious tactical decisions, of which Duke happily took full advantage."

Is that more to your liking?

cspan37421
01-26-2015, 06:21 AM
Oh, good grief. Lighten up, Frances.

Oh man, Psycho (Francis Soyer, not Tyler) would have really gone bananas if he saw how you spelled his name! ha ha

Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.

Any of you guys call me Frances, and I'll ...

OldPhiKap
01-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Soooo. The women beat UNC I hear...

Indeed. And EWill had a monster game. Way to get off the road slide.

Two at home coming up, Pitt then #4 Louisville. Will be interesting to see how we continue to adjust without a true pg.

gus
01-26-2015, 08:47 AM

Silly? Come on. The joke is sexist. The entire premise is that she's a woman you find unattractive, and its a demeaning tack you wouldn't use against a man. If you're going to use the it's-just-a-joke defense, at least accept that simple truth.

killerleft
01-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Indeed. And EWill had a monster game. Way to get off the road slide.

Two at home coming up, Pitt then #4 Louisville. Will be interesting to see how we continue to adjust without a true pg.

Yes it will. I saw some signs that we're learning to cover the three-point shot a bit better out of that Stanford zone (tall trees:p). The turnover issue isn't going away. But we can certainly avoid the clusters of them. I thought McCallie did a very good job with her timeouts last night. It's scary to use 'em up, but last night we needed them.

devildeac
01-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Yes it will. I saw some signs that we're learning to cover the three-point shot a bit better out of that Stanford zone (tall trees:p). The turnover issue isn't going away. But we can certainly avoid the clusters of them. I thought McCallie did a very good job with her timeouts last night. It's scary to use 'em up, but last night we needed them.

What else is she going to do with her timeouts, borrow a few extra from the cheaters MBB coach?:p

killerleft
01-26-2015, 10:37 AM
What else is she going to do with her timeouts, borrow a few extra from the cheaters MBB coach?:p

Why not? Maybe Coach P could have traded a nice jacket for Sylvia in exchange for a couple.:D. Win-win!

Edit: Oh wait, you said the Men's coach! That's a horse of a different color- Roy always has a few left for friends!

CameronBornAndBred
01-26-2015, 10:49 AM
For the most part, but I cringed at how we came out after the last one. Less than a minute to play, tie game, and we have the ball. Call a timeout (smartly), and we then play the most perplexing basketball, which resulted in EWill basically playing point guard, the team in general playing sloppy, and us turning the ball over.

I loved the outcome, I loved the amazing comeback that we had in the second half, but we squandered our own lead in the last 2 minutes. It was a bizarre and frustrating ending to regulation.

killerleft
01-26-2015, 11:03 AM
For the most part, but I cringed at how we came out after the last one. Less than a minute to play, tie game, and we have the ball. Call a timeout (smartly), and we then play the most perplexing basketball, which resulted in EWill basically playing point guard, the team in general playing sloppy, and us turning the ball over.

I loved the outcome, I loved the amazing comeback that we had in the second half, but we squandered our own lead in the last 2 minutes. It was a bizarre and frustrating ending to regulation.

I have no idea what the plan was after EWill was supposed to hand the ball off, but felt that with our penchant for bad passes it wasn't an unsound strategy. First thought was the Cheater guard should have been called for holding about three times. I looked at several plays over again when time permitted, but not that one.

burnspbesq
01-26-2015, 07:42 PM
I have no idea what the plan was after EWill was supposed to hand the ball off, but felt that with our penchant for bad passes it wasn't an unsound strategy. First thought was the Cheater guard should have been called for holding about three times. I looked at several plays over again when time permitted, but not that one.

Presumably she would have gone down on the block.

Full credit to the Carolina defender who blew up the dribble handoff. Physical, but I didn't see a foul. Would have been nice if one of the other three Duke players had recognized the problem and broken hard to the ball to give Elizabeth a bailout option. Oh well.

killerleft
01-26-2015, 08:58 PM
Presumably she would have gone down on the block.

Full credit to the Carolina defender who blew up the dribble handoff. Physical, but I didn't see a foul. Would have been nice if one of the other three Duke players had recognized the problem and broken hard to the ball to give Elizabeth a bailout option. Oh well.

Yeah, I looked again and didn't see a real foul, although the amount of contact on that play was more than several of the fouls called on Duke, including two on Azura Stevens.

burnspbesq
01-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I looked again and didn't see a real foul, although the amount of contact on that play was more than several of the fouls called on Duke, including two on Azura Stevens.

If we hadn't been in the double bonus, fouling Elizabeth might have been a pretty good option. Worst case, you get the ball down two with plenty of time to run your offense. Best case, you get the ball tied with plenty of time to run your offense. And worst case has a probability of around .36.