PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Loses Serious $ In All-Star Voting

BD80
01-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Kyrie loses the chance to move up in salary under the CBA by not being voted an all-star starter:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24986621/kyrie-irvings-non-selection-as-all-star-starter-cost-him-over-7-million

Not likely to make it as a coaches selection

Bob Green
01-24-2015, 01:45 PM
His salary this season, for playing a game, is $7,070,730 so excuse me if I don't shed a tear. His talent is sufficiently compensated.

uh_no
01-24-2015, 01:50 PM
His salary this season, for playing a game, is $7,070,730 so excuse me if I don't shed a tear. His talent is sufficiently compensated.

not that it's kyrie's fault....but i also find it hard to feel bad for a player not making the all-star game when his team is barely over .500. Lebron got voted, yes, but he's also arguably the best player in the game. Worry about winning games first, and then accolades can come later.

Duvall
01-24-2015, 01:51 PM

Eh, not really given the upcoming NBA TV deal. But hey, at least Dan Gilbert has more money to buy exotic fonts.

FireOgilvie
01-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Eh, not really given the upcoming NBA TV deal. But hey, at least Dan Gilbert has more money to buy exotic fonts.

Not cool.

tbyers11
01-24-2015, 03:12 PM

For people that aren't NBA players I agree that he is extremely well compensated. However amongst his peers, he has only the 89th largest salary. I'd argue that he is among the top 25-30 players in the league. The 25th-30th highest paid players make about $14 million. Therefore, one could argue that he isn't sufficiently compensated.

His extension kicks in next year at over $14 million/yr so his salary and talents will be more in line.

CDu
01-24-2015, 03:16 PM
For people that aren't NBA players I agree that he is extremely well compensated. However amongst his peers, he has only the 89th largest salary. I'd argue that he is among the top 25-30 players in the league. The 25th-30th highest paid players make about $14 million. Therefore, one could argue that he isn't sufficiently compensated.

His extension kicks in next year at over $14 million/yr so his salary and talents will be more in line.

He is about as well-compensated as he can be given the NBA salary structure and his experience.

tbyers11
01-24-2015, 03:37 PM
He is about as well-compensated as he can be given the NBA salary structure and his experience.

100% correct. Still doesn't mean he is adequately compensated relative to his actual value

WakeDevil
01-24-2015, 03:44 PM
Voting for all-star teams is a joke of a process when you have teams urging fans to stuff the ballot boxes.

sagegrouse
01-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Voting for all-star teams is a joke of a process when you have teams urging fans to stuff the ballot boxes.

Kyrie clearly should have mounted an advertising campaign.

OldPhiKap
01-24-2015, 05:34 PM
The problem was, he split votes with Uncle Drew.

jafarr1
01-24-2015, 07:32 PM

Relative to the rest of the NBA, Kyrie may not be compensated enough.

Relative to the rest of the world, Kyrie (and all NBA players) make a ludicrous amount of money.

CDu
01-24-2015, 09:24 PM

To be fair, they do appear to have gotten it mostly right. Aside from Kobe and Carmelo (two high-volume players on bad teams), the other 8 were as deserving as anyone.

CajunDevil
01-24-2015, 10:27 PM
He's been playing lights out since LBJ came back, and it would be very surprising if he's not selected for the ASG.

CDu
01-25-2015, 10:04 AM
He's been playing lights out since LBJ came back, and it would be very surprising if he's not selected for the ASG.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't make it. Teague, Wade, Butler, Bosh, and Vucevic should all be ahead of him. That leaves two spots open. And with Teague, Lowry, and Wall already there, the coaches may go SG/SF over a 4th PG.

Henderson
01-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Mark Cuban, whose views I don't generally share, had an interesting take on fan voting a couple days ago. http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/12218988/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-suggets-ending-fan-all-star-fan-vote-due-low-totals. His point: The sample of fan votes is too small to be meaningful, and is therefore subject to concerted efforts by intensely-interested coteries -- or even countries-- to skew the vote.

I don't know about any "poll skewing" by foreign fans as he alleges, but the fan vote numbers do suggest a lack of sufficient sample size that could open itself to skewing.

Regarding Kyrie and others, they can't count on ASG money, and they know it's a crap shoot (in part). It's more like, "If you create positive buzz for our team, we don't care if it's deserved or not, but you will be rewarded for it. It's a business, and we reward producers." I see it more like a bonus than an incentive, and no player has a reason to expect that extra cash because of the mercurial nature of the AS selection system.

Kind of like an executive compensation scheme that awards a bonus for a high stock price, where "success" is subject to things way outside the executive's ability to control.

Kdogg
01-25-2015, 03:49 PM
I don't know about any "poll skewing" by foreign fans as he alleges, but the fan vote numbers do suggest a lack of sufficient sample size that could open itself to skewing.

He's referring to the years Yao Ming was voted a starter even when he was injured and not playing full time like 2011. The voting is international and Ming was drawing a lot of votes from China.

The problem with All Star voting is that it can boil down to popularity and not on court production. The starters are not necessarily the players having the best season. Our own Grant Hill was voted a started when though he played less than a half dozen games his first season in Orlando. The same thing happened with Vince Carter a few years later.

DU82
01-25-2015, 03:55 PM

See NHL and Zemgus Girgensons.

Jeffrey
01-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Relative to the rest of the world, Kyrie (and all NBA players) make a ludicrous amount of money.

Hi,

I fully agree!

Yet, society elects to give them substantial annual salary increases while most society members make less than $40k per year.

CajunDevil
01-28-2015, 09:39 PM
I don't think Kyrie will have to sweat making the All-Star game after dropping 38 and 55 in back-to-back nights. He will be in.

weezie
01-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I wish I had Kyrie's problems.

phaedrus
01-29-2015, 10:11 AM
What's the highest scoring game by a Duke player in the NBA? I can't think of anything higher than 55 off the top of my head, but I'm not thinking that hard.

Jeffrey
01-29-2015, 10:28 AM
What's the highest scoring game by a Duke player in the NBA? I can't think of anything higher than 55 off the top of my head, but I'm not thinking that hard.

Hi,

My guess is you're right. Grant certainly had the talent, but it was not his nature. His assist numbers were very impressive for his position.

IMO, Webster should use Grant's (or Shane's) picture beside the definition of class.

kkwst2
01-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Hi,

My guess is you're right. Grant certainly had the talent, but it was not his nature. His assist numbers were very impressive for his position.

IMO, Webster should use Grant's (or Shane's) picture beside the definition of class.

Well certainly not Alaa Abdelnaby's picture. He never went to one.

Jeffrey
01-29-2015, 11:13 AM
Well certainly not Alaa Abdelnaby's picture. He never went to one.

Hi,

:D And, Ricky Price would have displayed much more class not turning in a certain class assignment.

phaedrus
01-29-2015, 03:21 PM
No one answered my query, so I deigned to do the research myself:

Career highs:
Elton Brand 44
Carlos Boozer 41
Grant Hill 46

sagegrouse
01-29-2015, 04:14 PM

Career highs:
Elton Brand 44
Carlos Boozer 41
Grant Hill 46

Mullins 43

Trey21
01-29-2015, 04:15 PM

Career highs:
Elton Brand 44
Carlos Boozer 41
Grant Hill 46

With Deng following up with 40. Corey also had a game in the high 30's.

It was a beautiful game to watch. He started cold but he just went through it and carried the cavs. I watched it after the Duke loss and it definitely cheered me up a little bit. I still think Grant's the best Duke player ever to play in the NBA, but Kyrie is currently fighting him for that title. Hopefully Kyrie continues to develop and wins and few chips while he has LeBron (and the rest of this Cavs team) at his side.

jv001
01-29-2015, 04:43 PM
With Deng following up with 40. Corey also had a game in the high 30's.

It was a beautiful game to watch. He started cold but he just went through it and carried the cavs. I watched it after the Duke loss and it definitely cheered me up a little bit. I still think Grant's the best Duke player ever to play in the NBA, but Kyrie is currently fighting him for that title. Hopefully Kyrie continues to develop and wins and few chips while he has LeBron (and the rest of this Cavs team) at his side.

I know that a lot of Duke fans will not agree with me when I say Kyrie was the best Duke freshman of all time. I know he didn't play as many games as Jabari or Jahlil, but he was the best. GoDuke!

Jeffrey
01-29-2015, 05:08 PM
I know that a lot of Duke fans will not agree with me when I say Kyrie was the best Duke freshman of all time. I know he didn't play as many games as Jabari or Jahlil, but he was the best. GoDuke!

Hi,

I would agree if you added the word November! Kyrie was the best November Duke freshman basketball player.

However, if I were an NBA club, I'd rather have Jahlil.

jv001
01-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Hi,

I would agree if you added the word November! Kyrie was the best November Duke freshman basketball player.

However, if I were an NBA club, I'd rather have Jahlil.

Neither are what you would call great defensive players :cool: But Kyrie can hit his free throws at a better rate. I remember Coach K saying that if Kyrie had not been injured, he thought Duke had a good chance to go undefeated. That's high enough praise for me. GoDuke!

Jeffrey
01-29-2015, 05:36 PM
I remember Coach K saying that if Kyrie had not been injured, he thought Duke had a good chance to go undefeated.

Hi,

Given Kyrie was clearly the best PG in the nation, and the rest of the team was very good (IIRC, a #1 seed basically without Kyrie), Coach K would not have been exaggerating.

IIRC, the two seniors (Kyle and Nolan), said Kyrie was the best player on the team after just a few early practices.

jv001
01-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Hi,

Given Kyrie was clearly the best PG in the nation, and the rest of the team was very good (IIRC, a #1 seed basically without Kyrie), Coach K would not have been exaggerating.

IIRC, the two seniors (Kyle and Nolan), said Kyrie was the best player on the team after just a few early practices.

Kyrie remains one of my favorite Duke players. I wish him well. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
01-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Neither are what you would call great defensive players :cool: But Kyrie can hit his free throws at a better rate. I remember Coach K saying that if Kyrie had not been injured, he thought Duke had a good chance to go undefeated. That's high enough praise for me. GoDuke!

Maybe K. But Gary Williams definitely said that Duke could have gone undefeated if Kyrie had played the full season.

CajunDevil
01-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Congrats Kyrie!!

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Guess we can put this thread to rest...Kyrie is an all star

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Although I guess he still loses out on the 7mil