PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at St. John's (1/25/15 2 pm FOX) Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-23-2015, 05:40 PM
The 2015 Blue Devils seek win 1000 for Coach K in MSG! Discuss the game here.

-jk
01-23-2015, 06:16 PM
I was at MSG for 903. My wife will be there tomorrow. Surely that must bring at least a little good mojo?

(We met at a Duke game in the late Meadowlands...)

-jk

duke74
01-23-2015, 07:41 PM
I was at MSG for 903. My wife will be there tomorrow. Surely that must bring at least a little good mojo?

-jk

I was also at 903 and will be there for, hopefully, 1000!

As noted in the thread I started a few weeks ago, I'm sitting courstside (I think) in the St. John's athletic boosters section. Could be interesting!

Meet-up anyone? Be good to link handles and reality and shake a few hands...

Herb

gumbomoop
01-23-2015, 08:37 PM
I've seen St. John's in 2 games, but only briefly.

Lavin appears to go with 6 main guys, not a lot of size, with 6'6" Pointer as the de facto and solid rebounding point/PF. Is this correct? No classic PG, but strong guards? Little interior depth, and they may not have a backup center. Obekpa looks like a shot-blocker, maybe Pointer, too. As CDu noted in another thread, their 3-bombing is only fair, not really a strength.

Scouting report from one of our NY area posters?

Native
01-23-2015, 11:58 PM
Got a ticket! I'm flying up tomorrow and will be at MSG. Very excited!

Bob Green
01-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Got a ticket! I'm flying up tomorrow and will be at MSG. Very excited!

Congratulations! Enjoy the game.

Importing this quote from the Phase IV thread:

Here are my thoughts on this phase game-by-game:

St John's: I would expect to see the zone continued against St John's, because (like Louisville and Pitt) they are not a strong 3pt shooting team. They have a few capable shooters in Harrison, Greene, and Stewart, but as a team they shoot just 31.8% from 3.

St. John's scores their points as follows: 56 percent on 2PT FGs, 22 percent on 3PT FGs, 22 percent on Free Throws. The numbers suggest both the zone and the looser m2m would be effective against the Johnnies.

The Red Storm look very similar to the Wolfpack from a points breakdown perspective.

N.C. State: 54 percent on 2PT FGs, 26 percent on 3PT FGs, 20 percent on Free Throws.

Duke3517
01-24-2015, 07:33 AM
They need to make sure all the balls are inflated tomorrow.

On a more serious note, hopefully within the next month Duke can find some consistentcy on the defensive end

Saratoga2
01-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Congratulations! Enjoy the game.

Importing this quote from the Phase IV thread:

St. John's scores their points as follows: 56 percent on 2PT FGs, 22 percent on 3PT FGs, 22 percent on Free Throws. The numbers suggest both the zone and the looser m2m would be effective against the Johnnies.

The Red Storm look very similar to the Wolfpack from a points breakdown perspective.

N.C. State: 54 percent on 2PT FGs, 26 percent on 3PT FGs, 20 percent on Free Throws.

One of our weaknesses is in the transition defense. How are the Johnnies at that phase? Those of us who have followed college ball for a long while (most of us) know that while we have a high probability of winning this one it is no certainty. Hope for the best and coach K gets his well deserved 1000th Sunday.

Saratoga2
01-24-2015, 09:05 AM
They need to make sure all the balls are inflated tomorrow.

On a more serious note, hopefully within the next month Duke can find some consistentcy on the defensive end

As far as your little try at humor, I have sent into the media a little treatise on the Universal Gas Law, which I don't need to explain here. It is possible that ball inflated indoors to a minimum (12.5 psig) could lose up to 8.2% total pressure when brought out into the cold of Gillette stadium. If they were brought in a quickly remeasured they might well have lost the 1 psi claimed. Actually it could have been in the 2.3 psi range worst case. Those quick to jump to conclusions about cheating should remember the press coverage of Dukes own lacrosse issue. This probably doesn't belong in this thread, but since you raised the deflation issue, I felt the need to mention my own analysis.

OldPhiKap
01-24-2015, 09:37 AM
As far as your little try at humor, I have sent into the media a little treatise on the Universal Gas Law, which I don't need to explain here. It is possible that ball inflated indoors to a minimum (12.5 psig) could lose up to 8.2% total pressure when brought out into the cold of Gillette stadium. If they were brought in a quickly remeasured they might well have lost the 1 psi claimed. Actually it could have been in the 2.3 psi range worst case. Those quick to jump to conclusions about cheating should remember the press coverage of Dukes own lacrosse issue. This probably doesn't belong in this thread, but since you raised the deflation issue, I felt the need to mention my own analysis.

Any truth to the rumor that the Johnnies open all of the west-facing doors to MSG when the opponent has the ball, thereby creating a cross-draft that hampers shooting? I typed that on the Internet a bit ago and now am curious.

devildeac
01-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Any truth to the rumor that the Johnnies open all of the west-facing doors to MSG when the opponent has the ball, thereby creating a cross-draft that hampers shooting? I typed that on the Internet a bit ago and now am curious.

I can't verify that info but I've also heard they send aromas (and maybe photos) of Carnegie Deli corned beef and/or pastrami sammiches into the visitors' locker room pre-game and at half time to distract them. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
01-24-2015, 09:52 AM
I can't verify that info but I've also heard they send aromas (and maybe photos) of Carnegie Deli corned beef and/or pastrami sammiches into the visitors' locker room pre-game and at half time to distract them. :rolleyes:

I thought they stopped that practice after the infamous "tainted mayonnaise" incident in '56. Does Steve Lavin know no shame?

(Oh wait, that's a different topic)

Philadukie
01-24-2015, 10:05 AM
I've seen St. John's in 2 games, but only briefly.

Lavin appears to go with 6 main guys, not a lot of size, with 6'6" Pointer as the de facto and solid rebounding point/PF. Is this correct? No classic PG, but strong guards? Little interior depth, and they may not have a backup center. Obekpa looks like a shot-blocker, maybe Pointer, too. As CDu noted in another thread, their 3-bombing is only fair, not really a strength.

Scouting report from one of our NY area posters?

It will be interesting to see how K decides to defend them. As others have indicated, a zone might again be the right scheme. They essentially start four guards in Greene, Pointer, Harrison, and Jordan. If we're going man, our best option in defending 6'6'' Pointer would probably be Winslow. But then who do you stick Amile on? 6'4'' Harrison or 6'4'' Jordan? Either would be a bad match up, unless we go with four guards like we did at NC State and start Sheed or Matt. Also, Harrison, Jordan, and Greene are all capable of carving up an extended-pressure M2M.

Given the match up issue that Pointer creates, our troubles with dribble penetration, and the fact that they are not a good 3-point shooting team, zone seems to make the most sense here.

Offensively, I think we are far superior to what their defense can handle, so unless we just shoot horribly and/or don't move well without the ball when Jan is doubled (which we all have seen happen), we should be fine on this end of the floor.

Bob Green
01-24-2015, 10:26 AM
One of our weaknesses is in the transition defense. How are the Johnnies at that phase? Those of us who have followed college ball for a long while (most of us) know that while we have a high probability of winning this one it is no certainty. Hope for the best and coach K gets his well deserved 1000th Sunday.

I'll have to defer to someone else to answer your question as I have not seen the Johnnies play and I neither have access to nor understand all the advance stats. If I am interpreting the basic stuff correctly, St. John's defense (#38) is rated slightly better than Duke's (#56), while Duke's offense (#6) is a whole lot better than St. John's (#72).

http://kenpom.com/

weezie
01-24-2015, 11:12 AM
My wife will be there tomorrow. Surely that must bring at least a little good mojo?

-jk

Now here is an example of a Very Good Dad! Throw the kids a box of cookies and hope that there isn't any blood shed while you're watching the game upstairs!

duke74
01-24-2015, 11:14 AM
It will be interesting to see how K decides to defend them. As others have indicated, a zone might again be the right scheme. They essentially start four guards in Greene, Pointer, Harrison, and Jordan. If we're going man, our best option in defending 6'6'' Pointer would probably be Winslow. But then who do you stick Amile on? 6'4'' Harrison or 6'4'' Jordan? Either would be a bad match up, unless we go with four guards like we did at NC State and start Sheed or Matt. Also, Harrison, Jordan, and Greene are all capable of carving up an extended-pressure M2M.

Given the match up issue that Pointer creates, our troubles with dribble penetration, and the fact that they are not a good 3-point shooting team, zone seems to make the most sense here.

Offensively, I think we are far superior to what their defense can handle, so unless we just shoot horribly and/or don't move well without the ball when Jan is doubled (which we all have seen happen), we should be fine on this end of the floor.

A brief local perspective (I'm not an expert like some on DBR - although I am on campus quite a bit as an adjunct at SJU):

Jordan coming off a excellent game v Marquette as PG, but has been inconsistent. (He's a Philly guy). Harrison had a bad shooting night, but has been considered a possible Big East POY candidate (almost 20 ppg, 36 mpg). Obekpa a shot blocking machine (65 in 18 games). Pointer also a monster v Marquette.

Here's a link from the NY Post: http://nypost.com/2015/01/21/st-johns-slips-past-marquette-for-crucial-big-east-win/

Lavin having problems again this year with recruit eligibility, but has an excellent class coming in.

fisheyes
01-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Just watched the Red Storm report and watched a recap of their win at Syracuse. Although the win was in early December when things were clicking for them, they had a pretty impressive 3 point shooting night. They have a great shot blocker as well. Duke better bring the A game on both ends.

I was at 903 and will be there tomorrow!

Go Duke!!!

Clay Feet POF
01-24-2015, 11:52 AM
I'll have to defer to someone else to answer your question as I have not seen the Johnnies play and I neither have access to nor understand all the advance stats. If I am interpreting the basic stuff correctly, St. John's defense (#38) is rated slightly better than Duke's (#56), while Duke's offense (#6) is a whole lot better than St. John's (#72).

http://kenpom.com/
Here are my observations after watching the St Johns Marquette game.

1) MU is an undersize, inexperience (2 freshmen 2 Transfers 2 with little playing time) and only an eight man roster. Therefore their Zone is new to them but it’s the best they have.

2) St Johns is very good in transition leading to easy baskets.

3) Pointer and Obekpa were stellar shot blockers and took away MUs drives to the basket.

4) Their 3’s were off and they have some trouble with the Zone, but had some success by splitting the 2 defenders or going over the top to the open man under the basket.

MU was an awful offensive team and still the game was tied with 5 seconds remaining.

I think the key to our game will be keeping them away from their transition and we win.

75Crazie
01-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Does anybody in the Denver area know if the game will be carried on any alternative channel (other than internet-based sources, which I am not subscribed to)? The Denver Fox channel appears to have preempted the game with a pet telethon. The FS1 and FS2 channels do not appear to be carrying it. Guess I'm gonna be SOL.

MartyClark
01-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Does anybody in the Denver area know if the game will be carried on any alternative channel (other than internet-based sources, which I am not subscribed to)? The Denver Fox channel appears to have preempted the game with a pet telethon. The FS1 and FS2 channels do not appear to be carrying it. Guess I'm gonna be SOL.

Thanks for the heads up. I assumed it was on but in double checking the Denver Post and my cable provider, I think we are SOL. I'm assuming a few of the usual sports bar will get it. I think I'll make a call or two in the morning.

Go Duke.

DU82
01-24-2015, 03:41 PM

-jk

Gee, I was at both those games too. :cool:

I can't make it tomorrow, but I bought tickets for my niece and her boyfriend, who were at 903. Good mojo there, too.

jmck214
01-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I assumed it was on but in double checking the Denver Post and my cable provider, I think we are SOL. I'm assuming a few of the usual sports bar will get it. I think I'll make a call or two in the morning.

Go Duke.

I wonder if you could download a fox sports app or watch online at foxsports.com?

sagegrouse
01-24-2015, 05:22 PM
I wonder if you could download a fox sports app or watch online at foxsports.com?

I am also up the same creek, but here is one possibility (which I am not sure I understand):

Need more Coach K? You can also head over to FOX Sports GO on Sunday to watch our "Coach K Cam." We'll have an isolated camera on Krzyzewski throughout the game Sunday, starting at 1:30. The live stream will be available unauthenticated, meaning everyone can head over to FOXSportsGo.com and enjoy the Coach K Cam regardless of their cable provider.

So, this is something, but I would rather have the game feed.

Sage

-jk
01-24-2015, 06:21 PM

I am also up the same creek, but here is one possibility (which I am not sure I understand):

Need more Coach K? You can also head over to FOX Sports GO on Sunday to watch our "Coach K Cam." We'll have an isolated camera on Krzyzewski throughout the game Sunday, starting at 1:30. The live stream will be available unauthenticated, meaning everyone can head over to FOXSportsGo.com and enjoy the Coach K Cam regardless of their cable provider.

So, this is something, but I would rather have the game feed.

Sage

Could be an interesting pic-within-pic. I enjoy watching coaches - both sides - during games I attend. Their body language shows so much more about how they think their teams are performing than what I see.

I'll never forget a Duke-Wake game in Greensboro (ages ago when the Coliseum was Wake's home court), and K was unhappy with their performance. "I don't know why the ... I'm coaching here if they won't listen to me!" He eventually sat down at the end of the bench and let them coach themselves.

-jk

-jk
01-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Gee, I was at both those games too. :cool:

I can't make it tomorrow, but I bought tickets for my niece and her boyfriend, who were at 903. Good mojo there, too.

And thank you for that game in the Meadowlands...

-jk

terrih
01-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Denver folks- I have Comcast and it looks like this will be carried on a channel called ANTEN. It's number 253 for me. Fingers crossed the guide is correct.

Indoor66
01-24-2015, 07:14 PM

It appears that your post contains accurate science. Can you take it further and explain how the science explains why only 11 out of the 36 game balls were affected and all of them were used by the same team? (12 balls for each team = 24 plus 12 kicking balls)

freshmanjs
01-24-2015, 07:15 PM
It appears that your post contains accurate science. Can you take it further and explain how the science explains why only 11 out of the 36 game balls were affected and all of them were used by the same team? (12 balls for each team = 24 plus 12 kicking balls)

i would assume one reason could be that the patriots initially inflated to the minimum of the range, where indy could have been higher.

westwall
01-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Denver folks- I have Comcast and it looks like this will be carried on a channel called ANTEN. It's number 253 for me. Fingers crossed the guide is correct.[QUOTE=terrih;772675]

Yes, Comcast Channel 253 for the game. The other ACC games are on the usual channels but Fox instead is carrying "Dumb Friends League. pledges for pets telethon" for 5 hours.

DU82
01-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Denver folks- I have Comcast and it looks like this will be carried on a channel called ANTEN. It's number 253 for me. Fingers crossed the guide is correct.

Antenna TV is one of the SD networks that were created after the over the air broadcasts went digital and most stations could send two or three "signals". For instance, WRAL in Raleigh broadcasts Me-TV, on 5.2 but will use it to broadcast the regular CBS programming when they run ACC basketball on their main channel.

(In Raleigh-Durham, Antenna-TV is 17.2 over the air, WNCN - NBC). In Denver, it's over the air 31.2.)

Henderson
01-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Duke is a 6.5 pt favorite. That ain't much. Lots at stake in this game given all the hype, even though it doesn't affect ACC standings. It'll be a top story on SportsCenter, regardless. Go Duke. Seize the narrative.

weezie
01-25-2015, 11:27 AM
...Go Duke. Seize the narrative.

And that's why we're a fine, edu-ma-cated bunch of fans. We ain't stoopid! :cool:

Farn
01-25-2015, 11:32 AM
I live in the Albany, NY area and Time Warner looks to be showing a 7 hour telethon. And I can't find a feed of the game on any of the other 2000 stations I have. Sigh...

Clay Feet POF
01-25-2015, 12:14 PM
I live in the Albany, NY area and Time Warner looks to be showing a 7 hour telethon. And I can't find a feed of the game on any of the other 2000 stations I have. Sigh...

I'm in FL and could not find it on Fox sport channel. BUT found it on the main Fox feed (WTVT) down here. I have Brighthouse which is Part of Time Warner. Such a major milestone that Fox would not carry it in area. Good Luck

duke74
01-25-2015, 12:47 PM
On LIRR heading in. Sec117

Henderson
01-25-2015, 01:19 PM
I hope that folks like you going to the game will have the ability to contribute in-game comments. Good to have eyes on the court. For me at least. Relatedly, don't feel shy about post-game commentary.

-jk
01-25-2015, 01:30 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Can anyone confirm that DirectTV Fox will be airing it? Jumping on a JetBlue flight and hoping I can watch.

75Crazie
01-25-2015, 01:40 PM
Can anyone confirm that DirectTV Fox will be airing it? Jumping on a JetBlue flight and hoping I can watch.
If you're talking about the DirectTv Fox network feeds (one West, from LA; one East, from NY), then yes, it is available on DirectTv ... but only if you have a package that includes those network channels. With my basic package, the only Fox alternative is the local Fox (Denver) channel, which has preempted the game with a pet telethon. And from other posts here, it looks like Denver is not the only market where that is happening.

I am going to guess that, with all the hoopla surrounding this game, the Fox powers are not at all happy with some of its local affiliates.

riverside6
01-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/St. John's, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-st-johns-basketball-live-stats-01252015

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-25-2015, 01:48 PM
If you're talking about the DirectTv Fox network feeds (one West, from LA; one East, from NY), then yes, it is available on DirectTv ... but only if you have a package that includes those network channels. With my basic package, the only Fox alternative is the local Fox (Denver) channel, which has preempted the game with a pet telethon. And from other posts here, it looks like Denver is not the only market where that is happening.

I am going to guess that, with all the hoopla surrounding this game, the Fox powers are not at all happy with some of its local affiliates.
Got it on the plane. Sweet. Wojo on the pregame show.

jipops
01-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Winning this one feels pretty critical, with @ND and @UVA looming. I expect today to be very difficult.

left_hook_lacey
01-25-2015, 02:13 PM

This is probably not the right place to start a discussion on this, but with all the games played in the NFL and the amount of money that goes into the production of a game in an effort to "get it right", one would think the officials are aware of effects a severe change in temperature would have on the ball.

Also, why were the Colts balls properly inflated if they all follow the same protocol for change of custody for the balls before they reach the field?

Also, there's the story that the Ravens tipped off the Colts before the game to monitor the Patriots game balls for tampering.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-do-we-have-john-harbaugh-thank

"The Ravens didn’t stop there, though. According to Jay Glazer of FOX, the Ravens “tipped off” the Colts to check the inflation of the footballs.

So, when D’Qwell Jackson picked off Brady near the end of the first half, the Colts had their chance. The Colts equipment manager told Colts GM Ryan Grigson, who told NFL Director of Football Operations Mike Kensil and balls were confiscated."

Here's another report.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-tipped-patriots-using-deflated-balls-2015-1

It'll be interesting to see what the NFL says when it complete its investigation.

Back to the topic at hand....GO DUKE...beat the Red Storm!

pfrduke
01-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Early observations:

Tyus came to play today
Jahlil Okafor is a big strong man
Chris Obekpa's short* shorts are everything

*at least in light of the style at the time

Lulu
01-25-2015, 02:23 PM
I've got Comcast out west and am being forced to watch this not only in non-HD, but on a feed that looks like a stream from a 15-year-old laptop pulled from a recycling bin.

Anyone find a better feed online? I don't think there's a direct Fox feed, but people do find work-arounds at times like this..

Edit: Seriously, this is unwatchable. I'm getting about 3 frames per shot on this channel. Help anyone? I'm not even watching anymore, just searching the internet for a feed.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 02:29 PM
I guess the game plan by St Johns was to play fast and dirty.

The foul by De La Rosa (and subsequent stare down) was a pretty blatant example of the dirty part.

kAzE
01-25-2015, 02:30 PM
My God... these guys play unbelievably physical. I guess big east basketball will always be big east basketball.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 02:30 PM
Refs just gave De La Rosa the stink eye on the foul call on him against Jah.

Have a feeling he will likely be T'd up before the end of the game.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 02:32 PM
My God... these guys play unbelievably physical. I guess big east basketball will always be big east basketball.

It's football. They even followed through on the block on Quinn Cook after the fumble recovery...

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Pointer has been rewarded several times for being out of control.

grossbus
01-25-2015, 02:41 PM
These refs are bad.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-25-2015, 02:42 PM
The strip by Grayson was nice to see, preventing a layup.

The game definitely has a NCAAT feel to it today.

Kjeffrey
01-25-2015, 02:42 PM
These refs are bad.

Couldn't agree more. I still can't believe there wasn't a flagrant 1 on DeLeRosa. There was no play on the ball and he slammed his arm into Amile's face.

jipops
01-25-2015, 02:43 PM
So far the defense has once again been dreadful. Hard to see this getting any better at this point

subzero02
01-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Winslow is definitely not the same player he was at the beginning of the year. Rib injuries will do that. Scrappy strip by Grayson after turning the ball over. If Jefferson had an outside shot he could really open things up; they consistently give him space at the top of the key.

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 02:47 PM
So far the defense has once again been dreadful. Hard to see this getting any better at this point

I suspect they worked on it all week. Clearly having trouble replicating an opponent that makes everything they throw up.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 02:49 PM
A lot of feet shuffling not being called on these out of control St Johns drives

BlueDevilBrowns
01-25-2015, 02:51 PM
Our transition D is horrible. Even on a made shot we're not getting back fast enough to stop point blank shots.

Settling for too many 3's instead of slowing the pace down and using our size advantage inside.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Mug-a-for

jipops
01-25-2015, 02:56 PM
I suspect they worked on it all week. Clearly having trouble replicating an opponent that makes everything they throw up.

You mean making every wide open shot they throw up? None of these are difficult shots.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 02:58 PM
You mean making every wide open shot they throw up? None of these are difficult shots.

Like that 30 footer they hit before the end of the half? Yea that was easy.

They've also hit plenty of contested shots.

Sometimes I wonder if people are watching the same game I am.

subzero02
01-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Matt Jones has been very good today... Nice assist by Jones to Cook. That last 3 pointer by st. John's has to be waved off.

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 03:00 PM

They better not count that shot.

subzero02
01-25-2015, 03:00 PM
It was released a quarter to a half second after the shot clock expired.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Lavin just confirmed the game plan. "Make the refs make some calls."

Shocked that Duke never even made it to the bonus in the first half.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-25-2015, 03:01 PM
It was released a quarter to a half second after the shot clock expired.

Should not count and be Duke ball with 1.5 on the clock. But that ain't happening.

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 03:02 PM
Should not count and be Duke ball with 1.5 on the clock. But that ain't happening.

Isn't that reviewable. I don't get it.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-25-2015, 03:02 PM
Mug-a-for

Yep. I foresee multiple Techs coming in the 2nd half if the atrocious officiating keeps up.

WAY too physical right now.

gurufrisbee
01-25-2015, 03:03 PM
How is that shot being allowed? The replay is crystal clear! Does no one think 3 points might make a big difference in this contest? Come on!

arnie
Matt Jones has been very good today... Nice assist by Jones to Cook. That last 3 pointer by st. John's has to be waved off.
Absolutely. And we should have ball with 3 secs left in half. I guess refs are as interested in this as we are in getting back on D.

InSpades
Not only should the shot not count, it should be Duke ball out of bounds w/ 3 seconds left. Plenty of time to score. How do they not look at that before the teams leave the court?

DevilYouthCoach

I think our team has a tendency to rush their shots when the other team speeds up the game. We are having open shots and there's no reason not to take that extra split second to do the shot correctly.

jipops

You give a team confidence, sometimes those kind of shots go in.

I've seen a team once again mis-reading screens and leaving a shooter plenty of space to step into a shot. St Johns looks a lot quicker but not very impressive skill wise. Still, they are up by 4 at the half.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Absolutely. And we should have ball with 3 secs left in half. I guess refs are as interested in this as we are in getting back on D.

Horrible

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 03:06 PM
You give a team confidence, sometimes those kind of shots go in.

I've seen a team once again mis-reading screens and leaving a shooter plenty of space to step into a shot. St Johns looks a lot quicker but not very impressive skill wise. Still, they are up by 4 at the half.

They had confidence coming into the game.

Duke had an 11 point lead. Then they just started missing shots and St Johns started hitting. They have hit tough contested shots. Double clutch, switching hand hooks, contested jumpers.

I'd be shocked if they kept that offensive pace up.

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Not only should the shot not count, it should be Duke ball out of bounds w/ 3 seconds left. Plenty of time to score. How do they not look at that before the teams leave the court?

Sounds like shot clock violations are not reviewable. Duke needs to come out with a purpose.

duke74
01-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Most comments are spot on. SJU playing physical. Grabbing all esp Oak. Can't stop the transition. Seem to be chasing until SJU gets a relatively easy shot. All Jordan and Pointer for SJU. Very frustrating. And I won't even start on the refs. To

Bluedog
01-25-2015, 03:07 PM

I don't think it's reviewable. Anybody have a rule book? I think the shot clock is only reviewable at the end of the game. Buzzer beating at halftime is reviewable, I think, but not a shot clock violation.

SCMatt33
01-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, an expiring shot clock is not reviewable. I remember a controversy a few years ago in a UK candy game with it. I'm surprised it wasn't added when they added the out of bounds review in the last minute. I understand pace of play arguments, but college basketball doesn't really have a problem with this.

Kjeffrey
01-25-2015, 03:09 PM
If Duke was hitting shots and playing any sort of transition D the refs would be irrelevant.

FerryFor50
I don't think it's reviewable. Anybody have a rule book? I think the shot clock is only reviewable at the end of the game. Buzzer beating at halftime is reviewable, I think, but not a shot clock violation.

Yea they pointed that out at the half. Garbage.

Consistent with how the officiating has been so far, though

Eternal Outlaw
Pathetic officiating, these guys are acting like it is a New York street game. Ignore things as long as a flashy and sexy offensive play happened.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 03:11 PM
If Duke was hitting shots and playing any sort of transition D the refs would be irrelevant.

Ever try hitting a shot inside while getting hammered? Not that easy.

Otherwise the open jumpers stopped falling. The ball movement has been really good at times, so that's encouraging.

DU82
By rule, they can't review shot clock violations other than in the last two minutes or overtime. (They more or less just said that on TV as I was typing.)

Ditto out of bounds questions (who did the ball go off.)

But everybody but Howard, Fine and Howard saw that the shot was late. (I said it as he was shooting.)

Dukehky
That ruling is ridiculous. They have that in place so that the game doesn't slow down reviewing shot clock violations. Take away a freaking time out and then get the call right.

So stupid.

Justise has to be hurt. There is NO other explanation for this.

jipops
01-25-2015, 03:12 PM
This team is showing the same tendency as last year. We were up 21-10 and then it all fell apart for the rest of the half. The Johnnies are fully confident they are going to get good looks as they should and now our offense is back in desperation mode.

Kjeffrey
01-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Ever try hitting a shot inside while getting hammered? Not that easy.

Otherwise the open jumpers stopped falling. The ball movement has been really good at times, so that's encouraging.

I was referring to the wide open jump shots. I think we all agree on the physicality of this game inside.

BlueandWhite
01-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Horrible

A little "home cooking" here...how can they not review that, ESPECIALLY with that much time left on the game clock.

Aside from this -- Okafor must get the ball more & take it TO THE HOLE more -- yes, make Obekpa hack you, do whatever -- just TAKE IT TO THE HOOP...good play by Jefferson earlier as well, more please.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-25-2015, 03:16 PM
A little "home cooking" here...how can they not review that, ESPECIALLY with that much time left on the game clock.

Aside from this -- Okafor must get the ball more & take it TO THE HOLE more -- yes, make Obekpa hack you, do whatever -- just TAKE IT TO THE HOOP...good play by Jefferson earlier as well, more please.

Amile has looked sharp. Jahlil has looked good at times and frustrated at others.

Duke79UNLV77
01-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Sorry if this is a bad question, but I'm flying and can't watch the game.

It sounds like we've abandoned the zone? Given the track record over the past 4.5 games now, might it be time to bring it back?

Again, I can't watch this one live, but in general I'd like to see more shot attempts for Okafor. He's the most skilled big man in college in decades, and we've only got him for one year. I know he can and does create offense for others, but our first, second, and third focus should be to ride him, even if it means he has to beat a double team more often.

Duke1986
So you can use replay on a 3-pointer to review whether a player's foot is on the line but you can't review it to see whether he released the ball before the expiration of the shot clock? Ridiculous.

bbosbbos
Lavin said, stay aggressive when playing Duke. This is true.

In D, every time when big Jah touched the bb he was double-teamed. They did not care about Amile at all. They did not care about our 3s either.

In O, they drove to the rim easily. They took jump shots without hesitation. Meanwhile our D was always 1-on-1, there was not help, no communication. I do not understand why K tried to restore our m2m in such an away game. Maybe he does not care about the result. Maybe he has a bigger picture in the long run. I just do not know.

On the other hand, why Winslow is on the bench?

grossbus
We are going to continue to be homered.

We need to make shots to prevent them from running.

jipops
01-25-2015, 03:19 PM
That has to be flagrant

InSpades
01-25-2015, 03:20 PM
So you can use replay on a 3-pointer to review whether a player's foot is on the line but you can't review it to see whether he released the ball before the expiration of the shot clock? Ridiculous.

This is baffling. They even look at 3-point or no 3-point minutes later.

jipops
This is starting to feel like one that is about to get away.

bbosbbos
Very poor game.

dukelifer
That has to be flagrant

Nope

arnie
01-25-2015, 03:21 PM
That has to be flagrant

One stupid announcer. Thinks he got ball and maybe foul called when he grabbed his head?

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 03:22 PM
This is starting to feel like one that is about to get away.

Duke has to make stops

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Lavin said, stay aggressive when playing Duke. This is true.

In D, every time when big Jah touched the bb he was double-teamed. They did not care about Amile at all. They did not care about our 3s either.

In O, they drove to the rim easily. They took jump shots without hesitation. Meanwhile our D was always 1-on-1, there was not help, no communication. I do not understand why K tried to restore our m2m in such an away game. Maybe he does not care about the result. Maybe he has a bigger picture in the long run. I just do not know.

On the other hand, why Winslow is on the bench?
Wow Duke is getting mugged all over the court

gurufrisbee
01-25-2015, 03:25 PM
This is a freakin' UConn game. We're getting mugged and beaten and they are getting all the calls. This is total crap.

kmspeaks
01-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Sorry if this is a bad question, but I'm flying and can't watch the game.

It sounds like we've abandoned the zone? Given the track record over the past 4.5 games now, might it be time to bring it back?

Again, I can't watch this one live, but in general I'd like to see more shot attempts for Okafor. He's the most skilled big man in college in decades, and we've only got him for one year. I know he can and does create offense for others, but our first, second, and third focus should be to ride him, even if it means he has to beat a double team more often.

They're having trouble getting him the ball. Anytime Okafor touches the paint his defender is being allowed to block him the way an offensive lineman would a pass rusher.

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Can't stop them. Does not look good folks

grossbus
01-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Another uncalled flagrant. You can bet if that were us, it would be called.

They can't miss. We can't hit.

bbosbbos
01-25-2015, 03:29 PM
They're having trouble getting him the ball. Anytime Okafor touches the paint his defender is being allowed to block him the way an offensive lineman would a pass rusher.

I do not think we fed him the bb that much. The major problem is our D.

burns15
01-25-2015, 03:30 PM
This is a key point in the season. Either Quinn, or someone else, is going to step up and lead, step up and say this not Duke defense... Or this team will struggle to be a top 4 seed in the tourney and will have a ceiling of the Sweet 16. Do we have the heart?

arnie
01-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Refs allowing physical play - we need to reciprocate.

Duke79UNLV77
01-25-2015, 03:31 PM
I do not think we fed him the bb that much. The major problem is our D.

Why not zone?

Duke 81 LA
Can't stop them. Does not look good folks

It's going to look bad for a long time
The defensive footwork of Quinn and Jahlil are just horrible
Any decent guard just blows by them
Fundamentally our defensive players are so unsound

MartyClark
I'm watching this game on the worst Comcast video feed I have ever seen. I can't figure out why the commercials look fine but the game feed is jerky and almost unwatchable.

Even with this impaired viewing, Duke doesn't look good. The refs look worse. What do we do to win this game?

kmspeaks
[QUOTE=kmspeaks;772842]They're having trouble getting him the ball. Anytime Okafor touches the paint his defender is being allowed to block him the way an offensive lineman would a pass rusher.[/QUOTE

I agree. I was responding to a poster who is not able to watch and didn't understand why Okafor had so few shots. Trying to paint a picture for him.

#1Duke
01-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Where is Okafor today?

grossbus
01-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Winslow not contributing, in any way, is a big hurt.

bbosbbos
01-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Where is Okafor today?

He is there. But guards could not pass to him at the right time. Guards turned over too much due to St Johns physical plays. But I do not think this is the problem.

gcashwell
01-25-2015, 03:36 PM
This is tough to watch. St. John's is making this team look soft.

Kjeffrey
01-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Winslow not contributing, in any way, is a big hurt.

Does anyone know his status in regards to injuries? His game is so different than it was earlier in the season.

Duke 81 LA
[QUOTE=kmspeaks;772842]They're having trouble getting him the ball. Anytime Okafor touches the paint his defender is being allowed to block him the way an offensive lineman would a pass rusher.[/QUOTE

Jahlil seems to be a very nice kid who isn't capable of dishing out physical play on defense or the offensive glass

Yes he has some nice one on one offensive moves

But he doesn't go after the ball on D or on the glass with any passion

Every opposing offensive player knows a tiny jab step buys a Duke defender who jumps out and then gets beat on the dribble

vrob90
It looks like the wheels are coming off now. Duke has a good team, but playing man to man there's nothing exceptional about them.

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 03:38 PM

Young team figuring it out. Just not their day today

gcashwell
01-25-2015, 03:38 PM
It looks like the wheels are coming off now. Duke has a good team, but playing man to man there's nothing exceptional about them.

When Duke plays man to man there isn't anything top 20 about them.

Kjeffrey
01-25-2015, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=arnie is still king;772847]

Jahlil seems to be a very nice kid who isn't capable of dishing out physical play on defense or the offensive glass

Yes he has some nice one on one offensive moves

But he doesn't go after the ball on D or on the glass with any passion

Every opposing offensive player knows a tiny jab step buys a Duke defender who jumps out and then gets beat on the dribble

He is a very talented offensive player but he doesn't seem determined to play hard on both ends of the court.

bbosbbos
01-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Really? Most of time we stood there watching the loosing ball. Very sad.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 03:40 PM
So grabbing okafor with two hands = not a foul
Tugging on shorts = foul

Makes sense.

DRC
01-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Where's Laettner stepping on guys when you need him?? If this is the way SJ wants to play it, we need to reciprocate with a team killer/winner instinct. Where is it? Come on guys...take it to 'em no matter how the refs are calling it.

Duke 81 LA
01-25-2015, 03:41 PM

That is because Duke IS very soft

Team has shown no indication all year that it can handle adversity

bbosbbos
01-25-2015, 03:42 PM
I stop complaining the refs.

azzefkram
01-25-2015, 03:43 PM
This is a tad disappointing. They are starting to get all the 50-50 balls.

bbosbbos
01-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Please, big Jah please do not get out to D your man.

Duke 81 LA
01-25-2015, 03:45 PM

And this was known to be a team with only six players and we could not force fouls on them at all in first half

Paying the price for that this half

gcashwell
01-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Notice how much more active Plumlee is than okafor.

DU82
01-25-2015, 03:48 PM
Notice how much more active Plumlee is than okafor.

And his man got an easy jumper when MP3 went out on the pick and roll.

vrob90
01-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Offense now just dribbling around the perimeter. Jeez.

gcashwell
01-25-2015, 03:50 PM
And his man got an easy jumper when MP3 went out on the pick and roll.

Plumlee is far from the best player on this team, but he's not soft and has the most heart and hustle by far. I would play him the rest of the game at this point. Show the other guys the level of effort that is required.

subzero02
I don't recall having this much trouble getting Brand the ball. Okafor needs some low post screens to get him open ( open equals one on one)... He has too few touches close to the basket.

dukelifer
And this was known to be a team with only six players and we could not force fouls on them at all in first half

Paying the price for that this half

Today they only needed 3

WakeDevil
01-25-2015, 03:51 PM
The over/under on the number of tournament wins is 1.5.

DU82
01-25-2015, 03:51 PM
Plumlee is far from the best player on this team, but he's not soft and has the most heart and hustle by far. I would play him the rest of the game at this point. Show the other guys the level of effort that is required.

Don't disagree with your thought there. My niece, who's at the game, mentioned that Jah hasn't raised his arms on D in the half (a bit of an exaggeration, but to the issue.)

crdaul
01-25-2015, 03:52 PM
The ghost of Bootsy.....

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 03:52 PM
The over/under on the number of tournament wins is 1.5.

Young teams get better. We will see if that happens at the right time of the year.

Kjeffrey
01-25-2015, 03:53 PM
I don't recall having this much trouble getting Brand the ball. Okafor needs some low post screens to get him open ( open equals one on one)... He has too few touches close to the basket.

He needs to move.

azzefkram
01-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Keep the faith guys. This isn't over yet.

bbosbbos
01-25-2015, 03:55 PM
There are 3 parts of a game. Physical contact, skills and mental. In skills we are very good in individual players. But mentally and physically we need to improve.

vrob90
01-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Time for some toughness. Time for Duke to show the desire to win. They have a chance.

2008grad
01-25-2015, 03:58 PM
It is frustrating to watch the m2m defense. Jah isn't the only one not putting his hands up. Our guys seem to play defense with their hands by their sides--a fundamental no-no when you play defense. Arms should always be up and moving. I remember them being more active in the zone. But I agree, plumlee is the gold standard for what effort should be...

making a bit of run here now that we switched back to zone.....

grossbus
01-25-2015, 04:04 PM
They will really foul now.

bbosbbos
01-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Old saying: only the brave wins. Let us play strong and brave. Let us get hungry for every win.

crdaul
01-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Bring it NOW

arnie
They will really foul now.

Could be our first game settled by less than 10 pts. Interesting to watch how we perform in nail biter

gcashwell

Keep proving my point, soldier!

Emerrick
01-25-2015, 04:08 PM
I love Plumlee. Nice move K!!!!

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Growing up before our eyes... *sniff*

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 04:11 PM
I love Plumlee. Nice move K!!!!

Army strong

MartyClark
Keep proving my point, soldier!

Marshall is playing with great heart and energy.

bbosbbos
Man, Marshall is my hero. He is great in heart.

subzero02
01-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Matt Jones has rebounded great today... It should be 69-60 right now

grossbus
01-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Matt!

El_Diablo
01-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Tyus Jones has overinflated balls.

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Matt!

Jones playing CLUTCH!

Duke 81 LA
01-25-2015, 04:16 PM

On the other hand..... It looks like the reverse jinx may have helped

Way to man up!!

bbosbbos
Marshall ignites the fire. We are angry now. Stay angry please. Go Duke!

Ggallagher
The game turned around when Marshall came in. He's been a part of most of the good, hustle plays since then. This game is his - and Coach K's.
Go Duke

subzero02
01-25-2015, 04:17 PM
No touch fouls! You heard the man

gurufrisbee
01-25-2015, 04:18 PM
I ended up in the hospital 2 weeks ago with heart damage. I was told to stay calm as part of my recovery. I'm a Seattle local and a Hawks fan and I made it all through the NFC championship game seated and calm. But I jumped up and cheered with Tyus just hit that three! Could not be stopped.

InSpades
I <3 Marshall. What energy by the big fella. Clutch plays by Tyus as well. Didn't expect this comeback.

Duke 81 LA
On the other hand..... It looks like the reverse jinx may have helped

Way to man up!!

Why sheets for Marshall on that possession?

Kjeffrey
Marshall ignites the fire. We are angry now. Stay angry please. Go Duke!

They fought hard and it's been great to see. I wasn't sure they had it in them.

FerryFor50
01-25-2015, 04:19 PM
They should rename St John's to just John's. Not saints on that team.

InSpades
01-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Haven't had many close games this year but it sure is nice having Quinn Cook on the floor at the end of a close one. 95% free throw shooter. Very impressive. Shows what hard work and dedication can do. Tyus ain't bad either.