PDA

View Full Version : Al Featherston Appreciation Thread

JStuart
01-23-2015, 07:01 AM
I just don't know anyone who writes better, or analyzes better, about Duke Sports (as well as other historical topics) than M. Featherston. I believe he deserves a thread devoted to his excellent discussions about all things Duke, especially basketball.
A wish of mine would be a definitive book outlining the entire unc academic fraud story, co-authored by Al and Dan Kane. IMHO, Al writes better, has the best perspective as to the implications that the fraud has on ACC athletics, and Dan has -I hope- all the goods on the heels. Al also has the academic credentials to critique the fake classes, being a Duke grad himself!
My thanks to you, Al, for always coming up with superb and fresh aspects of all things Duke, and ACC. Keep the stories coming.
JStuart

camion
01-23-2015, 07:40 AM
I just finished reading The "Celebrating 1000 Wins?" story.

Wow, just wow! I always like Al's stories, but this one I want to frame.

House G
01-23-2015, 08:04 AM
As a lifelong college basketball fan, I love Al's anecdotes and stories about Duke basketball and college basketball in general. Those of us who went to Duke in the 70's (the lean years) really appreciate what Coach K has been able to achieve. Al's insight into the Duke program and his historical vignettes are like icing on the cake.

Atldukie79
01-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Growing up in Durham, I remember the days of the morning paper (Durham Herald) and the afternoon paper (Durham Sun). I eagerly devoured the sports pages for my dose of Duke sports news. I had no clue where the various sports writers went to school, but I knew that I liked Al's writing then. And I really like it now. I would guess these gems today are a bit longer than the typical column from back in the day. They are just as well written. They are certainly a thoughtful, insightful delight as compared to some of the 5th grade level internet drivel (not DBR) that presents itself on my screen too often.

Thanks Al!

FerryFor50
01-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Echo the greatness.

However, there is a typo:

eality, it only became a great class after the 1992 season ended. That spring, K lured 6-9 Mark Alarie from Arizona, beat Notre Dame for Washington, D.C., guard Johnny Dawkins and lucked into David Henderson from rural Warren County, N.C.

I'm thinking that should have been 1982... :)

martydoesntfoul
01-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Echo the Greatness II.

Bob Green
01-23-2015, 05:23 PM
DBR is very fortunate to have Al Featherston as a contributing writer as he is the best. I just finished reading his 1000 article on the front page and agree it is another gem.

Mike Corey
01-23-2015, 05:34 PM
DBR is very fortunate to have Al Featherston as a contributing writer as he is the best. I just finished reading his 1000 article on the front page and agree it is another gem.

1000% agreed.

Been a DBR reader for a very long time, and I'm grateful to still be reading his work.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-24-2015, 11:51 AM
May I say that I just love Al Featherston!?:)
Love, Ima