PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Plumlee much RESPECT!

ksimp112
01-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Amazing.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/01/22/marshall-plumlee-be-sworn-us-army-friday#.VMGJmGd0yP8

dukelifer
01-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Amazing.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/01/22/marshall-plumlee-be-sworn-us-army-friday#.VMGJmGd0yP8

Which graduation? Does this mean he will not play another year?

SupaDave
01-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Which graduation? Does this mean he will not play another year?

Spring 2016 is next year. And he'll effectively become an officer at graduation and most likely serve in the reserves.

There's a high possibility that he's at least a second rounder next year and he can go the David Robinson route and serve in the off-season. This is actually pretty amazing considering Robinson's son is coming to Duke and was/is available for consult - especially with a West Point graduate coach.

Kudos to Plumthree.

duke74
01-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Amazing.

This wonderful family has given so much to Duke...now is giving to the USA.

jv001
01-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Proud!!!!!

GoDuke!

dukelifer
01-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Spring 2016 is next year. And he'll effectively become an officer at graduation and most likely serve in the reserves.

There's a high possibility that he's at least a second rounder next year and he can go the David Robinson route and serve in the off-season. This is actually pretty amazing considering Robinson's son is coming to Duke and was/is available for consult - especially with a West Point graduate coach.

Kudos to Plumthree.

I now see the date is in the caption. He is a senior- so I thought he might graduate this semester.

sagegrouse
01-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Marshall deserves a special "salute" when he enters the game against Georgia Tech on February 4. How about: ahhh-TEN-SHUN!?!?

flyingdutchdevil
01-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Congrats Plumdog 3!

I enjoyed the part about the "too tall for the military". He isn't one inch too tall, or even two inches; he's a whooping 4 inches about the limit!

DukieInKansas
01-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Wow! Impressive! General Plumlee, Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in his future? General Dempsey may be giving him a few tips.

Thank you, Marshall Plumlee.

sagegrouse
01-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Wow! Impressive! General Plumlee, Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in his future? General Dempsey may be giving him a few tips.

Thank you, Marshall Plumlee.

Marshall will look just great standing with the other generals and admirals at the State of the Union address when President Battier walks into the House Chamber.

devildeac
01-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Marshall will look just great standing with the other generals and admirals at the State of the Union address when President Battier walks into the House Chamber.

And some folks here have questioned Marshall's defense. Shameful. ;)

G man
01-23-2015, 03:58 PM
So much respect for Marshall. Not much else to say other than thank you.

BigWayne
01-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Video of the ceremony up at goduke.com: http://goduke.us/1yDRj0D

sagegrouse
01-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Anyway, here's the scoop, assuming ROTC hasn't changed from the past. Marshall is signing his ROTC contract, which is typically done after two years of the basic course. This is a commitment to serve in the U.S. Army, either in the active Army or the Army Reserves or National Guard. He will have summer camp to attend this year and, it says here, will be commissioned as a second lieutenant upon graduation in May 2016.

If the Army Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Lt. Gen. McConville has his way, I predict Marshall will spend some time with the Army Recruiting Command. And why wouldn't he? He is in charge of assignments.

I can also safely predict that Marshall will not serve in the Armor Branch, where he would have to physically fit inside a tank.

captmojo
01-24-2015, 02:03 PM
ALL fans of the game have to admire his devotion. Well done, and a point of pride.

gam7
01-24-2015, 02:32 PM

Kudos to Plumthree.

High possibility that he is a second round pick? In the nba draft? Not so sure about that. Would love to see him work his way into that position but I'd take the other side of that wager...

Also, Marshall is on a basketball scholarship, rather than an ROTC scholarship, right? Doesn't seem to be a scholarship crunch right now, so no real practical impact...

turnandburn55
01-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Anyway, here's the scoop, assuming ROTC hasn't changed from the past. Marshall is signing his ROTC contract, which is typically done after two years of the basic course. This is a commitment to serve in the U.S. Army, either in the active Army or the Army Reserves or National Guard.

ROTC cadets have an active duty requirement post-commissioning. As a non-scholarship cadet, he will be required to serve three years on active duty followed by 5 years on inactive ready reserve. This is not to suggest that something different may not happen, but it is unlikely that he will go straight to the Reserves or Guard.

uh_no
01-24-2015, 03:43 PM
ROTC cadets have an active duty requirement post-commissioning. As a non-scholarship cadet, he will be required to serve three years on active duty followed by 5 years on inactive ready reserve. This is not to suggest that something different may not happen, but it is unlikely that he will go straight to the Reserves or Guard.

someone had suggested that it's not unprecedented to get a waiver to serve time during the offseason.

-jk
01-24-2015, 04:11 PM
ROTC Committments (http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/service-commitment.html):

"Selected Cadets may choose to serve part time in the U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard while pursuing a civilian career."

Since he signed with an exception, it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of the agreement.

-jk

Edouble
01-24-2015, 05:12 PM
ALL fans of the game have to admire his devotion. Well done, and a point of pride.

Can't you just express how you feel about it? I'm not really keen on being told what I HAVE to do. Most people aren't.

Personally, I'd like to see him put everything into basketball and maybe see some new parts of the world that way. But it's his life and his decision, so I wish him the best of luck.

sagegrouse
01-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Can't you just express how you feel about it? I'm not really keen on being told what I HAVE to do. Most people aren't.

Personally, I'd like to see him put everything into basketball and maybe see some new parts of the world that way. But it's his life and his decision, so I wish him the best of luck.

Capt. Mojo made a generous statement employing a figure of speech -- I see nothing wrong with it.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Marshall deserves a special "salute" when he enters the game against Georgia Tech on February 4. How about: ahhh-TEN-SHUN!?!?

There's an officer on deck!

I want him on that wall. I need him on that wall.

turnandburn55
01-24-2015, 09:18 PM
ROTC Committments (http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/service-commitment.html):

"Selected Cadets may choose to serve part time in the U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard while pursuing a civilian career."

Since he signed with an exception, it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of the agreement.

-jk

Yes, that's why I clearly and specifically said "That's not to suggest something different might happen". Any number of things may happen in this military. In general, these things are exceptions, rather than the rule. Others have suggested that he will most likely go to the reserves, this is inaccurate. He will most likely go to active duty.

I am not clear on what the second part of your statement means. Commissions in the military generally do not come with "agreements" with the exception of certain direct entry specialties (eg doctors, lawyers, etc). He knows what he signed up for. If he gets a stint in the Guard afterwards or in the elite athlete program, good for him. If he's banking on one of those options, I would submit he has made a poor decision.

Given the advice that he has available to him, I am certain that he knows what he signed up for. I wish him the best in those regards.

DevilWearsPrada
01-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Congratulations to Marshall Plumlee and his committment to the Duke Blue Devil ROTC! Not only to be a Duke Basketball player and student, but a member of the ROTC! I have seen Marshall in his uniforms around campus! So proud of his dedication! I know Coach K is so proud !

uh_no
01-25-2015, 12:17 PM
There's an officer on deck!

I want him on that wall. I need him on that wall.

perhaps when he comes into the game we should call it a code red?

Henderson
01-25-2015, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't give a crap if it was ROTC and the army, community development, a doughnut shop, English literature, entrepreneurship, or teaching basketball in the Phillipines. The guy has a vision of who he wants to be and is going for that. Go Marshall and all those like him.

75Crazie
01-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Even the Wuffies on PP are pretty unanimous in their praise of Marshall's decision. I cannot stomach IC, so I have no idea what load of manure they are throwing about this.

Edouble
01-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Capt. Mojo made a generous statement employing a figure of speech -- I see nothing wrong with it.

What was the figure of speech? "All"?

He put it in all caps, which to me, seems pretty insistent, and beyond, figure of speech territory.

sagegrouse
01-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Here's a definition:

"Field marshal is a very senior military rank, ordinarily senior to the general officer ranks. Usually it is the highest rank in an army, and when it is, few (if any) persons are appointed to it."

And, by the way, it usually outranks "Admiral."

I think Field Marshall Plumlee is perfectly appropriate given the way he commanded the field of battle this afternoon at Madison Square Garden.

SupaDave
05-12-2016, 06:45 PM
High possibility that he is a second round pick? In the nba draft? Not so sure about that. Would love to see him work his way into that position but I'd take the other side of that wager...

Also, Marshall is on a basketball scholarship, rather than an ROTC scholarship, right? Doesn't seem to be a scholarship crunch right now, so no real practical impact...

Supa Dave wins again...

http://www.thescore.com/news/1025292

CDu
05-12-2016, 07:15 PM
Supa Dave wins again...

http://www.thescore.com/news/1025292

The article you linked suggested he is unlikely to join his brothers in the NBA, but could play in the D-League or Europe.

fuse
05-12-2016, 07:38 PM
Here's a definition:

"Field marshal is a very senior military rank, ordinarily senior to the general officer ranks. Usually it is the highest rank in an army, and when it is, few (if any) persons are appointed to it."

And, by the way, it usually outranks "Admiral."

I think Field Marshall Plumlee is perfectly appropriate given the way he commanded the field of battle this afternoon at Madison Square Garden.

While it will not resonate with DBR, there is only one field marshall, and that is Field Marshall Gahippo.