PDA

View Full Version : College Gameday at UVA

kmspeaks
01-22-2015, 12:43 PM
My sister, who is a huge Virginia fan, and I are planning on attending Gameday in Charlottesville next weekend. While I realize things differ from campus to campus I thought I'd reach out to the board and see if anyone had attended a Gameday broadcast in the past and had any tips or suggestions to share.

Also, because many of you are way more funny (and/or "pun"ny) than I am does anybody have suggestions for a good sign. I'll give you a shout out on the sign if I use your idea.

Thanks!
-kmspeaks

tbyers11
01-22-2015, 02:24 PM
My sister, who is a huge Virginia fan, and I are planning on attending Gameday in Charlottesville next weekend. While I realize things differ from campus to campus I thought I'd reach out to the board and see if anyone had attended a Gameday broadcast in the past and had any tips or suggestions to share.

Also, because many of you are way more funny (and/or "pun"ny) than I am does anybody have suggestions for a good sign. I'll give you a shout out on the sign if I use your idea.

Thanks!
-kmspeaks

I don't have any Game Day experience but I wish you well in your trip. I was at the Wisconsin game in Madison this year and it was a blast.

However, since some people were wondering this seemed like a good place to point out that ESPN and UVa have confirmed (http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012115aae.html) that the tip time for this game is 7pm EST.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Good that means I can work that day without having to take a 2 hour lunch around noon. Well maybe ill take 2 hours anyway!!

-bdbd
01-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Good that means I can work that day without having to take a 2 hour lunch around noon. Well maybe ill take 2 hours anyway!!

Working on a Saturday? That sucks.

I'm in the VA suburbs of DC - 90 minutes away. Any good ideas on how one might try to obtain tickets for that game in Hoo-ville?

kmspeaks
01-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Working on a Saturday? That sucks.

I'm in the VA suburbs of DC - 90 minutes away. Any good ideas on how one might try to obtain tickets for that game in Hoo-ville?

Me too. Stubhub has plenty, but not what my teacher budget can afford. We're just gonna go check out the Gameday hoopla and then find a place in Charlottesville to watch or maybe head back and watch at home.

W&LHoo
01-23-2015, 10:25 AM
The newly energized UVA fan base seems to be willing to pay unbelievable prices for seats in the JPJ. As a diehard, it's the only thing I miss about the days when we were bad.

throatybeard
01-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Say hello to the guy with the Washington State flag for me.

Native
01-23-2015, 12:39 PM
I've been to two College GameDays at Cameron, but none anywhere else. My advice: as with all things, get there early for better seats. At Cameron the general public and students are all allowed in Section 17, but they might have a student-only section down in front. The guys typically do a pretty good job of interacting with folks during breaks and before/after the broadcast. While he was a goober on the court, Greenberg in particular is a really cool guy off-camera.

rifraf
01-23-2015, 01:16 PM
I'd love to see a sign on Gameday that say "This is my UNC Degree" or "I drove through Chapel Hill to get here and picked up this degree on the way!".

Not related at all to UVA but I'm a little saltier about what is going on at Carolina :)

Have fun!

weezie
01-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Traffic and parking around JPJ is/are horrendous.

It's well worth a few extra bucks to park at one of the restaurants (several offer $$ parking) along the main drag along whatever Route 29 south turns into inside Cville limits. You'll be walking a fair distance but anything is better than being trapped in the exit mess around the stadium proper.

W&LHoo, can you help out on these vague directions of mine?

weezie
01-23-2015, 04:18 PM

Plenty of scalpers around the JPJ, too. It's a nice stadium though, great sight lines, even up high. Study up before you go.

Wahoo2000
01-23-2015, 04:26 PM

It's well worth a few extra bucks to park at one of the restaurants (several offer $$ parking) along the main drag along whatever Route 29 south turns into inside Cville limits. You'll be walking a fair distance but anything is better than being trapped in the exit mess around the stadium proper.

There's a separate garage at Emmett and Ivy that's less than a 10 minute walk to the stadium that's a lot easier to get in and out of. I live in San Diego and haven't made it back this year, but last year I believe it was about $8 to park there for the night.

Additionally, parking/traffic may be BETTER than usual given that so many more people will try to go early due to gameday/pregame stuff.

Google Maps - Garage and walking route to JPJ (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/John+Paul+Jones+Arena,+Massie+Road,+Charlottesvill e,+VA/Emmet%2FIvy+Parking+Garage,+Charlottesville,+VA+22 903/@38.0429125,-78.5083117,639m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b3864d28f0ae 75:0xe7373d8ee0ec3ce!2m2!1d-78.506648!2d38.045878!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b3864ddd42453d :0x5794f87f9ce33ca4!2m2!1d-78.507793!2d38.041883!3e2)

Bob Green
01-23-2015, 05:51 PM
I live in San Diego...

Lucky you, a fantastic city I had the privilege to call home for a few years.

-bdbd
01-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Lucky you, a fantastic city I had the privilege to call home for a few years.

San Diego, plus Japan (Yokosuka) plus Pacific NW..... Man, you Navy guys - get all the garden spots!!! What a life! ;)

Bob Green
01-23-2015, 07:20 PM
San Diego, plus Japan (Yokosuka) plus Pacific NW..... Man, you Navy guys - get all the garden spots!!! What a life! ;)

You forgot to mention Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Life is a beach!

W&LHoo
01-24-2015, 12:55 AM

Below idea from Wahoo is solid. It depends on the direction from which you're approaching town. As a general rule you're much better off putting the JPJ into your GPS and as soon as you're within a distance you'd be comfortable walking, park anywhere that's offering a spot for under $20.

sagegrouse
01-24-2015, 09:16 AM
You forgot to mention Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Life is a beach!

And the beautiful Flora of the region!

devildeac
01-24-2015, 04:13 PM
And the beautiful Flora of the region!

Bob will appreciate that comment more than you might ever know;).

brevity
01-24-2015, 05:09 PM
I'd love to see a sign on Gameday that say "This is my UNC Degree" or "I drove through Chapel Hill to get here and picked up this degree on the way!".

Not related at all to UVA but I'm a little saltier about what is going on at Carolina :)

Have fun!

I would laugh so hard if I saw a UNC degree sign. But I also like those obscure, head scratching GameDay signs. Maybe something like "'I have not yet begun to fight.' - John Bonham"

sagegrouse
01-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Bob will appreciate that comment more than you might ever know;).

Uh, DD, did you notice the capital F?

devildeac
01-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Uh, DD, did you notice the capital F?

I should have known better than to doubt/question the Sage and Grouse-y one:o;).

JBDuke
01-24-2015, 07:37 PM
As for Gameday sign ideas - Perhaps more than any other school in the conference, UVA brands itself with its association with a historical figure - Thomas Jefferson. Combine that with my favorite sign phenomenon of the 2014 baseball season - the Hunter Pence signs, and you get Thomas Jefferson signs. Some of my favorites:

Thomas Jefferson labels his shoes "left" and "other left"
Thomas Jefferson brings 13 items to the express line
TJ eats his pizza with a fork
TJ wears socks with his sandals
TJ doesn't drink often, but when he does, he prefers Zima