PDA

View Full Version : Did Coach K take a shot at Roy last night?

Olympic Fan
01-20-2015, 03:17 PM
I was listening to Coach K's postgame press conference and came across this nugget near the end:

"After every game, you never hear me say negative things about my team. I don't think they need to hear it from me in the press if anything went wrong. I've never liked that.

If we're under the bus, we're under the bus together"

Considering this came less than 24 hours after the master of throwing his team under the bus ripped his team after a lackluster win, I thought it was a petty interesting quote:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3673513&db_oem_id=4200

(comes about the 10 minute mark)

Bob Green
01-20-2015, 03:31 PM
I have no idea whether it was an intentional shot at Coach Roy Williams, but it certainly looks that way. I believe Coach Williams could learn a lot from Coach K about leadership. A basic tenet is to praise in public but criticize in private.

mattman91
01-20-2015, 03:38 PM
I was listening to Coach K's postgame press conference and came across this nugget near the end:

"After every game, you never hear me say negative things about my team. I don't think they need to hear it from me in the press if anything went wrong. I've never liked that.

Considering this came less than 24 hours after the master of throwing his team under the bus ripped his team after a lackluster win, I thought it was a petty interesting quote:

Maybe it was directed to Coach P?

uh_no
01-20-2015, 04:27 PM
I have no idea whether it was an intentional shot at Coach Roy Williams, but it certainly looks that way. I believe Coach Williams could learn a lot from Coach K about leadership. A basic tenet is to praise in public but criticize in private.

I doubt it's individually aimed at Roy...but more in generally at coaches of that vein...LIKE roy williams. I would guess He probably pays little attention to what roy says in press conferences (though i'm sure someone reads transcripts for tidbits that might aid preparation), let alone day old press conferences for a team we don't play for 5 games down the road yet.

jv001
01-20-2015, 04:31 PM

Who knows, Coach K is all about Duke University and he could be trying to help her. Only God and K knows. Well maybe Micki. :cool:GoDuke!

BD80
01-20-2015, 04:56 PM

Ah, the ol' double reverse.

K didn't throw ol' roy under the bus; he took the bus over the curb and went 8 miles off-road to mow over a sleeping hound dog.

Nicely done.

I wonder if there are any recruits currently being pursued by both coaches that would be able to learn from such a stark comparison.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-21-2015, 07:42 PM
I thought you were going to refer to his statement about wishing the press wasn't all about Coach "K" right now since it puts more pressure on the guys. He said he'd rather just be Coach "W" or something. Am I the only one who heard that?
Love, Ima

OldPhiKap
01-21-2015, 07:54 PM
I thought you were going to refer to his statement about wishing the press wasn't all about Coach "K" right now since it puts more pressure on the guys. He said he'd rather just be Coach "W" or something. Am I the only one who heard that?
Love, Ima

I saw that, but pretty sure K just picked a letter and "W" came out. No relation to Roy.

I doubt K would take a shot at Roy under any circumstances for several reasons. Coach P? If she was on his mind, I imagine it was not a shot more than "this the appropriate way to respond" with a thought that it might help her.

But K has always said that we win as a team, we lose as a team. He was tired. Doubt there was much more meaning beyond exactly what he said -- he doesn't call out his players in public.

My observation is that K has been much more upbeat and supportive of this team than others, using praise in his press conferences. Probably related to the youth of the team, and his understanding that confidence is the big X factor with this team.

gep
01-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Coach "W"... Coach "WIN", maybe? Just be Coach W... just win?

Dukehky
01-21-2015, 10:50 PM

Coach K may not even know who Coach P is, and even if he does (he does), he would never say anything about her, not because he is so far above it (he is), but because he legitimately does not care about DWB. That has been the only thing that I'm not thrilled with K about, he has a disinterest bordering on disdain for the women's program. It's a big part of the reason G left.

That being said, I don't think that statement was a shot at anyone. Not like the "we don't pay our players so they can't get fined" he threw at UK and Cal a few years ago. That was hilarious btw.

sagegrouse
01-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Coach "W"... Coach "WIN", maybe? Just be Coach W... just win?

Uhhhh.... "W" is his middle initial.

-bdbd
01-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Um, I believe he was just picking a random letter to say, in effect, "Anything but Coach K," because of all of the media hoopla (read "distractions for my kids") around K getting his 1,000th win. Many in the media are playing on the pun re. "Coach K getting 1K."

I'd bet anything he just wants it over with.

MCFinARL
01-22-2015, 09:18 AM
My observation is that K has been much more upbeat and supportive of this team than others, using praise in his press conferences. Probably related to the youth of the team, and his understanding that confidence is the big X factor with this team.

This is a good observation--I hadn't focused on this, but I think you are right. Even in the losses he tried to emphasize bright spots ("i like my team" "they were playing hard"), and the criticisms have mostly been of the generic "they are young" or "they are still learning" variety. He has also, I think, gone out of his way to support his captains--for example, making sure people did not interpret Amile's not starting one game as a "doghouse" situation.