PDA

View Full Version : Pitt's Fields

dukie8
09-17-2007, 11:26 AM
there was this little blurb in today's ny post:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09172007/sports/pitts_fields_arrested.htm

it will be particularly interesting to see how pitt disciplines him in light of the fact that we play pitt in the first semester.

allenmurray
09-17-2007, 03:23 PM
there was this little blurb in today's ny post:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09172007/sports/pitts_fields_arrested.htm

it will be particularly interesting to see how pitt disciplines him in light of the fact that we play pitt in the first semester.

We have a football player on our team who was arrested on multiple charges. We decided to suspend him for only one game, then let the judicial process run its course. If I recall correctly DBR opined that this was a wise action on the part of the Athletic Department.

Now another school with an excellent reputation faces a similar situation. So what does DBR do? Quote thier coach as saying that he is going to let the "judicial process run its course". DBR's response: "fine words, but lets see what it translates into."

Do we really have room to be so smug? Do we need another example of why fans of other schools see us as arrogant? Or do DBRs writers have really short memories? (the answer to the above questions is no, no, and well, if the shoe fits . . .)

shadowfax336
09-17-2007, 05:37 PM
I grew up in Pittsburgh, and my family had season tickets for Pitt for 10 years, up till last year. I'm now a sophomore at Duke, so its very clear where my loyalties lie, but in any game other than the one happening in NYC in December, I'm as big a Pitt fan as you're going to get as well.
This whole story was very disappointing to me, its been fun cheering for Pitt the last 7 years or so because they've done a great job of fielding teams that work hard and outperform expectations, and never get in trouble off the court.

In regards to DBR's inconsistencies though, you're off the mark. If you look back at the reaction to Duke's arrest, what they said was that they hoped that Duke would deal with it firmly, and that they were surprised by the initial reaction. They also indicated that their might be more to the story than meets the eye, so they would reserve judgement. This is hardly inconsistent with saying that they liked what Dixon was saying but that they were unsure he would follow through. DBR hasn't had any experience with Dixon, and therefore they can't really have any trust in him following through. Basically they took a cautious approach to both situations

Wander
09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
If nothing else, it'll be fun to see what opposing student sections do with taser references.