PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 1/19-1/25

pfrduke
01-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Keeping a quick eye on the tournament prospects of the ACC, there's still a solid top 5 - in no particular order, Virginia, UNC, Notre Dame, Duke, Louisville - and a solid bottom 6 - again, in no particular order, BC, FSU, Clemson, Wake, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech. Those 6 teams are 4-24 in conference play so far and only Clemson has a win over a non-bottom-6 team (Syracuse, which showed in that game that it is in a world of hurt without Chris McCullough). The remaining 4, in rough order of tournament likelihood, are NC State, Miami, Syracuse, and (relatively big gap) Pitt. I give Miami the advantage over Syracuse in part based on how I think the season will continue to play out for the Orange and in part based on the fact that blowing out Duke in Cameron may make up for a lot of warts on Miami's resume. That being said, with games against NC State and Syracuse this week, Miami needs to put up good results to stay on the good side of the tournament conversation.

Also, a small tip of the cap to BC for breaking what I believe to be the longest streak of annual losses to the same non-conference opponent in ACC history.

Monday is dark

[9]Duke hosts [94]Pittsburgh (7:00, ESPN)
[104]Clemson hosts [150]Florida State (9:00, ESPNU)

Tuesday

[57]Syracuse hosts [121]Boston College (7:00, ESPNU)

Wednesday

[106]Wake Forest hosts [8]North Carolina (7:00, ESPN2)

Thursday

[184]Virginia Tech hosts [15]Notre Dame (7:00, ESPN3)
[2]Virginia hosts [92]Georgia Tech (8:00, ESPN3)
[48]Miami hosts [43]NC State (8:00, ESPN3)

Friday is dark

Saturday

[104]Clemson hosts [106]Wake Forest (12:00, ESPN3)
[8]North Carolina hosts [150]Florida State (2:00, ESPN)
[57]Syracuse hosts [48]Miami (4:00, ESPN2)

Sunday the ACC fills your football void with 5 matchups, including what I believe is the last chance for a major conference non-conference win (that may also be a big round number) before the post-season.

[184]Virginia Tech hosts [2]Virginia (1:00, ESPN3) - here's a fun prediction game: what will there be more of by season's end - Virginia ACC losses or Virginia Tech ACC wins?
[92]Georgia Tech hosts [120]Boston College (1:00, ESPN3)
[9]Duke at [33]St. John's (2:00, Fox (note, not a misprint))
[94]Pittsburgh hosts [12]Louisville (4:00, CBS)
[43]NC State hosts [15]Notre Dame (6:30, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 145-45
ACC Record vs. BCS: 26-26

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Like Fox Fox...not Fox sports???

Also is it me or is Virginia going through the easiest part of their schedule right now? I guess they played ND and Miami though.

gumbomoop
01-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Of Pitt's next 6 ACC games, 4 are home to UL, ND, Cuse, UNC.

Go Pitt.

OldPhiKap
01-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Of Pitt's next 6 ACC games, 4 are home to UL, ND, Cuse, UNC.

Go Pitt.

Wow. 2-2 would be great, could see them losing all four.

No fox holes in the ACC this year.

gumbomoop
01-20-2015, 12:17 AM
Wow. 2-2 would be great, could see them losing all four.

For Duke's sake, I'd probably take Pitt winning 2 of these, preferably including v. UNC. But really any 2 would help us.

jhmoss1812
01-21-2015, 03:07 PM

Also is it me or is Virginia going through the easiest part of their schedule right now? I guess they played ND and Miami though.

We also played those two teams on the road and won both of them. We also had a game against NCSU at home. We haven't played many of the bottom teams either. But yeah it's about to get tougher but we'll be up for the challenge

left_hook_lacey
01-21-2015, 03:45 PM
It saves me so much leg work from looking up so many different schedules and matchups. I like to schedule my sports viewing time at the beginning of the week so A.) I don't miss a game I'd really like to see, 2.) I can set my DVR ahead of time to make sure there are no conflicts(it happens a lot, even with the hop-ahh!) and D.) If I don't make a schedule, I get lost on the sports channels and never get anything else accomplished around the house. Seriously, I'll watch PTI if we have a big game, the pre-game show, the post game show, the post game interviews, then sports center to see how they portrayed what really happened in the game. And if it's a really good game, I'll watch the game itself again.

Thanks again, PFR

gus
01-21-2015, 07:30 PM
It was worth tuning into the UNC/Wake game just to see Randolph Childress relive his famous shot against Carolina.

DukieTiger
01-21-2015, 08:20 PM

Well, yes this has been an easier stretch- but they also have one of the easier schedules in the league. Of the ACC teams in kenpom's top 100, they only play Louisville and NCST twice. Meaning they avoid second games with Duke, UNC, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt (GT is also top 100 fwiw and they don't go there either.) Also avoid having to go to Clemson.

All that said, they're clearly the best team in the league at this point.

CDu
01-22-2015, 08:53 AM
It was worth tuning into the UNC/Wake game just to see Randolph Childress relive his famous shot against Carolina.

Yes, it was very fun that the game involved two sequences that had to irk UNC fans:
1. The Childress bit you mentioned; and
2. A whole sequence talking about Coach K and 1000, including Roy Williams complimenting him extensively.

DarkstarWahoo
01-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Well, yes this has been an easier stretch- but they also have one of the easier schedules in the league. Of the ACC teams in kenpom's top 100, they only play Louisville and NCST twice. Meaning they avoid second games with Duke, UNC, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt (GT is also top 100 fwiw and they don't go there either.) Also avoid having to go to Clemson.

All that said, they're clearly the best team in the league at this point.

I'm not trying to come off like a whiner here, because y'all have a great forum and you were completely respectful in your post, but the "easy schedule" argument gets tiresome, particularly vis-a-vis Duke. Y'all's home-and-home opponents are Chapel Hill, Cuse, ND and Wake, meaning that we're talking about a difference of one "easy" game (coughVTcough). Maybe it's our cross to bear because it's our administration that insisted on letting the Hokies into the ACC, but it's just not that big of a difference, especially when you factor in where those games are. Aside from Wake - the common home-and-home between UVA and Duke - UVA has a total of zero home games against the teams Duke plays twice. (Miami also avoids a trip to Charlottesville this year.)

Chapel Hill and Louisville have a little more of a gripe, considering that all four of their home-and-homes are against top 100 KenPom teams. But I'd argue that any grievance that relies on the perception of Pitt and GT* as good teams is on shaky ground to begin with.

* Insert appropriate reverse jinx for tonight's UVA-GT matchup

duketaylor
01-22-2015, 09:58 PM
In an entire game. Really!!??

Final, UVA 57-28.

Did they do a jump ball after each made basket? GT only made 12 baskets in the entire game, none from 3.

Boxscore: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587934

Uglier than ugly.

Basketball's been set back 80 years!!

jhmoss1812
01-22-2015, 10:03 PM

Final, UVA 57-28.

Did they do a jump ball after each made basket? GT only made 12 baskets in the entire game, none from 3.

Uglier than ugly.

GT has to be the worst shooting team I've seen this year. Pair that with our D and it was just ugly.

Duvall
01-22-2015, 10:06 PM

Well, let's hope so. Because the alternative is that the team that's going undefeated isn't located in Lexington.

duketaylor
01-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Well, let's hope so. Because the alternative is that the team that's going undefeated isn't located in Lexington.

Nor in C'ville. Not gonna happen. Not this year. Maybe never again in the current scheme of things. And there's nothing wrong with that. I thought UNLV was that team when I was a much younger fellow.

duketaylor
01-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Interesting poll, I don't know how to post a poll on this site. How many points will Duke score against UVA and vice-versa?

I'm guessing about 64 versus 54. Thoughts!!??

Duvall
01-22-2015, 11:25 PM
Interesting poll, I don't know how to post a poll on this site. How many points will Duke score against UVA and vice-versa?

Sounds close enough. That's Virginia with the 64, right?

Wahoo2000
01-22-2015, 11:28 PM

Don't tell my brethren, but I feel like Duke is going to get us. Our quality of play coming off extended layoffs (more than 4-5 days) is often VERY subpar. I think the explanation is that we're such a "rhythm" team both offensively and defensively, and playing every 2-4 days keeps us sharp. When we have a longer layoff, those rotations aren't quite as natural and quick on D, and the cuts and picks are a little sloppier on O. Those SLIGHT differences add up to make a noticeable "sluggishness/flatness" to our play.

Couple in the "shock" of facing a legit top 5 team after a 4-game run of playing the dregs of the league, and I can totally see Duke jumping on us early. If you can do that, and thereby take the crowd somewhat out of it in the first half, I think it'll be tough for us to rally.

I pray I'm wrong and we come out super sharp, but I think this one will end up with about a 7 point Duke win. Call it 65-58.

tbyers11
01-22-2015, 11:30 PM

Final, UVA 57-28.

Uglier than ugly.

Scary thing is that is only the third-fewest points allowed by UVa in a game this year. They held Harvard to 27 and Rutgers to 26.

Duvall
01-22-2015, 11:34 PM
Oh, Virginia has a bye to prepare for Duke? Well, two if you count playing VPI. Yeah, that's going to be ugly.

DarkstarWahoo
01-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Don't tell my brethren, but I feel like Duke is going to get us. Our quality of play coming off extended layoffs (more than 4-5 days) is often VERY subpar. I think the explanation is that we're such a "rhythm" team both offensively and defensively, and playing every 2-4 days keeps us sharp. When we have a longer layoff, those rotations aren't quite as natural and quick on D, and the cuts and picks are a little sloppier on O. Those SLIGHT differences add up to make a noticeable "sluggishness/flatness" to our play.

Couple in the "shock" of facing a legit top 5 team after a 4-game run of playing the dregs of the league, and I can totally see Duke jumping on us early. If you can do that, and thereby take the crowd somewhat out of it in the first half, I think it'll be tough for us to rally.

I pray I'm wrong and we come out super sharp, but I think this one will end up with about a 7 point Duke win. Call it 65-58.

I'm not going as far as to predict a loss, but I have the same concerns you do. UVA is at its best playing every few days. We did avoid the exam/Christmas break doldrums this year, but I'd much rather have a 3-day layoff than 6.

W&LHoo
01-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Scary thing is that is only the third-fewest points allowed by UVa in a game this year. They held Harvard to 27 and Rutgers to 26.

Honestly, Coach Bennett laid off GT at the end. If he'd kept the starters in GT would have been held below 24 (maybe even below 20?) and the Hoos would have scored more. If you can believe it, this was not as close a game as the box score would indicate.

nocilla
01-23-2015, 10:50 AM

I think the motivation of playing Duke/top 5 team will eliminate the sluggishness from a layoff. I can see the other point about the difference in competition playing a role. But I think UVA will be ready to play. My concern is Duke being ready to match their intensity.

jhmoss1812
01-23-2015, 11:22 AM
I think the motivation of playing Duke/top 5 team will eliminate the sluggishness from a layoff. I can see the other point about the difference in competition playing a role. But I think UVA will be ready to play. My concern is Duke being ready to match their intensity.

Duke will come out fired up. They will likely be an underdog in this game. That doesn't happen often so it should give Coach K some ammo. The game should be incredibly intense and probably come down to the wire. I can't wait for it.

Olympic Fan
01-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Interesting that Virginia passed Kentucky in the Pomeroy ratings -- the Cavs are No. 3 nationally in both offense and defense (Kentucky is No. 1 in defense but No. 10 in offense).

Pomeroy gives Virginia a 29.9 percent chance to finish the regular season unbeaten. They do have three tough games on the road remaining -- at UNC after the Duke game and at Syracuse and at Louisville to finish the regular season.

They have potential threats at home with Duke and Louisville, but the rest is a cakewalk.

The big outcome last night was Miami edging NC State in Coral Cables. Those are, along with Syracuse, the ACC's current "Bubble" teams. Beating the Pack head-to-head was a big boost to the 'Canes chances of making the NCAA field ... a hit to State's chances.

W&LHoo
01-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Interesting that Virginia passed Kentucky in the Pomeroy ratings -- the Cavs are No. 3 nationally in both offense and defense (Kentucky is No. 1 in defense but No. 10 in offense).

Pomeroy gives Virginia a 29.9 percent chance to finish the regular season unbeaten. They do have three tough games on the road remaining -- at UNC after the Duke game and at Syracuse and at Louisville to finish the regular season.

They have potential threats at home with Duke and Louisville, but the rest is a cakewalk.

The big outcome last night was Miami edging NC State in Coral Cables. Those are, along with Syracuse, the ACC's current "Bubble" teams. Beating the Pack head-to-head was a big boost to the 'Canes chances of making the NCAA field ... a hit to State's chances.

I'd also put our games @NC State and @Wake in the worrisome category. The former more than the latter. And let's remember a miserable VT squad beat us in the JPJ two years ago. The basketball gods are fickle.

Olympic Fan
01-23-2015, 01:17 PM
I meant to mention this earlier -- there was in incident near the end of the Miami-NC State game where a fan sitting on the front row (lightly) shoves NC State's Cat Barber from behind. It's not a huge deal in itself (the shove was not hard), but it is worrisome. Here's a story and video:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12214925/fan-shoves-nc-state-wolfpack-player-miami-hurricanes-apologize

This didn't used to be a problem -- the press usually occupied the from row opposite the benches and scorer's table. They still do at Duke, providing at least a minimal buffer. But more and more schools are moving the press to create high-price front row seats. It's not a problem in Chapel Hill, where the blue hairs have occupied the front row since the building has been built and half of them are stuffed anyway. But there is potential for future problems, especially in those places that sell beer.

devildeac
01-23-2015, 01:32 PM
I'd also put our games @NC State and @Wake in the worrisome category. The former more than the latter. And let's remember a miserable VT squad beat us in the JPJ two years ago. The basketball gods are fickle.

Couple hints for the 'Hoos: Show up with unc jerseys for the games at NCSU and WFU. I can almost promise the Pack and the Deacs will roll over and play dead if your team does that. Conversely, don't wear anything Duke related or each/both of those teams will play inspired BB and shoot lights out in those games (this year's Duke-WFU game being an exception):rolleyes:.

Monmouth77
01-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Also, Theo Pinson broke his foot. 5th metatarsal. Same injury as Elton Brand in '98.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12217984/theo-pinson-north-carolina-tar-heels-indefinitely-broken-left-foot

OldPhiKap
01-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Also, Theo Pinson broke his foot. 5th metatarsal. Same injury as Elton Brand in '98.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12217984/theo-pinson-north-carolina-tar-heels-indefinitely-broken-left-foot

Sorry to hear about Theo, hope for a full recovery.

Your first point is just too unbelievable to be true though. I'll believe that Roy really didn't know that his 2005 team was skating on bogus classes before I'll buy that Roy burns all of his time-outs. That's just crazy talk there.

Bob Green
01-24-2015, 06:19 AM

Miami at Syracuse today at 4 pm on ESPN2 should be an interesting contest between "Bubble" teams. It is suppose to rain all day in Hampton Roads so I plan to campout in front of the TV and enjoy some hoops.

dukelifer
01-24-2015, 06:47 AM

Virginia is a very good team but will they finally break through in the big dance. Huge monkey on their back. The pressure will be even greater if they finish undefeated in the regular season.

Bob Green
01-24-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm watching Kentucky at South Carolina while waiting on the 2 pm Florida State at North Carolina game, and seeing as South Carolina was in the ACC when I was a kid many, many moons ago, I'm going to post some comments here.

The Gamecocks hit a 3-pointer with a little over 3 minutes left in the half to take a 24-23 lead. The Wildcats responded with an 11-0 run to lead 34-24 at the half. Kentucky plays tough defense, creates turnovers and is very dangerous in transition. Devin Booker is the leading scorer with 11 points and Tyler Ulis has five assists and zero turnovers. Can someone remind me why the Harrison twins start?

CDu
01-24-2015, 02:31 PM

I would say UVa's home game against us should be much scarier for them than at Syracuse. The Cuse are not a good team right now. The injury to McCullough has really hurt, and they weren't great before the injury either.

Bob Green
01-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Miami improves their resume with a 66-62 road win over Syracuse. Now it is important for the 'Canes to win the games they are suppose to win next week against Georgia Tech and Florida State.

Mabdul Doobakus
01-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Miami's resume is pretty interesting. They've been excellent during ACC play, and could easily be undefeated with their two losses coming in double overtime against UVA and in a very close game at Notre Dame. They now have several quality wins which should more than offset the headscratching 72-44 loss to Eastern Kentucky and the loss to Green Bay. I think they're firmly in the field right now and a .500 finish in their last 12 would leave them at 20-11, 10-8, which I think would be enough, barely, to sneak in to the tourney. They've also played a very tough early conference schedule, so things should ease up from here.

Duvall
01-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Miami improves their resume with a 66-62 road win over Syracuse. Now it is important for the 'Canes to win the games they are suppose to win next week against Georgia Tech and Florida State.

Or, better yet, to lose those games and give Duke a chance to finish ahead of them in the conference standings.

-jk
01-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Miami's resume is pretty interesting. They've been excellent during ACC play, and could easily be undefeated with their two losses coming in double overtime against UVA and in a very close game at Notre Dame. They now have several quality wins which should more than offset the headscratching 72-44 loss to Eastern Kentucky and the loss to Green Bay. I think they're firmly in the field right now and a .500 finish in their last 12 would leave them at 20-11, 10-8, which I think would be enough, barely, to sneak in to the tourney. They've also played a very tough early conference schedule, so things should ease up from here.

This is where Sagegrouse should chime in on his February mandatory out-of-conference plan. Teams mature, but almost all of the OOC games happen in the fall... The NCAA needs to renormalize the conference standings.

-jk

sagegrouse
01-24-2015, 06:36 PM
This is where Sagegrouse should chime in on his February mandatory out-of-conference plan. Teams mature, but almost all of the OOC games happen in the fall... The NCAA needs to renormalize the conference standings.

-jk

I'm working on it! I'm working on it!

Bob Green
01-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Or, better yet, to lose those games and give Duke a chance to finish ahead of them in the conference standings.

Obviously it is better for Duke if Miami loses, I was posting from the perspective of what Miami needs to do to make the NCAAT. I believe that was obvious.

freshmanjs
01-24-2015, 06:51 PM
I was posting from the perspective of what Miami needs to do to make the NCAAT. I believe that was obvious.

it wasn't obvious to me...i was trying to figure out why we were (or should be) Miami fans.

sagegrouse
01-26-2015, 10:44 AM
We could call it "Salvation Sunday," if the right teams won. But they didn't. maybe doomsday is a little too strong, but you get the idea. Virginia outlasted VT, who came very close to a tying three-pointer at the end. NC State gave up a tying tip-in with a second left en route to an OT lost to ND. state had this game won and couldn't make a play or hold onto the ball.

Not an ACC game, but of interest to Duke nevertheless, but Northwestern lost to Maryland by one point on a last-second tip-in of a missed three-pointer. NW had led the entire game until the last minute. It would have been a great win for Collins' team, which has had some close losses. This month alone, they included an OT loss at Michigan State, a two-point loss at Michigan, and a two-point home loss to Ohio State. Let's hope that some big wins are in the future.

Duvall
01-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Jahlil Okafor *not* named as ACC Rookie of the Week. *audible gasp* (http://www.theacc.com/page/acc-basketball-players-of-the-week-announced-01-26-2015)

Tyus Jones and Xavier Rathan-Mayes share the rookie award; Jerian Grant is POW.

Olympic Fan
01-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Jahlil Okafor *not* named as ACC Rookie of the Week. *audible gasp* (http://www.theacc.com/page/acc-basketball-players-of-the-week-announced-01-26-2015)

Tyus Jones and Xavier Rathan-Mayes share the rookie award; Jerian Grant is POW.

This is the fourth time Okafor has not been ROW .. two of those four times were weeks when Duke didn't play. The other two weeks were weeks when Tyus Jones won the award (although this week he shares the award with Rathan-Mayes).