PDA

View Full Version : Okafor ACC ROW again

Olympic Fan
01-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Jahlil Okafor was just selected ACC rookie of the week for the seventh time in 10 weeks.

No big surprise there, but it's impressive that he's won seven of the 10 weeks in which the award has been presented.

Twice he missed because Duke didn't play in the week the award covered -- Caleb Martin of NC State won Dec. 15 (12 days after the win at Wisconsin). Justin Bibbs of Virginia Tech won of Dec. 29 (11 days after the win vs. UConn).

So in reality, Okafor has been beaten out for the award once -- on Dec. 8 -- when teammate Tyus Jones won the award for his play at Wisconsin.

Can't find the all-time record (I think Hansbrough has it), but Jabari Parker was Rookie of the Week 10 times last season.

jv001
01-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Jahlil Okafor was just selected ACC rookie of the week for the seventh time in 10 weeks.

No big surprise there, but it's impressive that he's won seven of the 10 weeks in which the award has been presented.

Twice he missed because Duke didn't play in the week the award covered -- Caleb Martin of NC State won Dec. 15 (12 days after the win at Wisconsin). Justin Bibbs of Virginia Tech won of Dec. 29 (11 days after the win vs. UConn).

So in reality, Okafor has been beaten out for the award once -- on Dec. 8 -- when teammate Tyus Jones won the award for his play at Wisconsin.

Can't find the all-time record (I think Hansbrough has it), but Jabari Parker was Rookie of the Week 10 times last season.

But Jahlil won it legit. Hanstravel, well he traveled more than his mom. :cool: GoDuke!

MCFinARL
01-19-2015, 05:12 PM

According to the world's most reliable source, Wikipedia, Tyler Hansbrough is tied with Kenny Anderson of Georgia Tech for the most ACC Rookie of the Week awards, with 10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Hansbrough So if Jabari also got 10 (his Wikipedia entry does not include this information--but I have now confirmed on goduke.com that he did), then he must also be tied for the most. Jahlil has a pretty good chance to break that record, if only because there don't seem to be a lot of really exceptional freshmen in the ACC this year who don't play for Duke. (Melo Trimble might have given him some competition if UMd hadn't bolted to the Big 10).