PDA

View Full Version : Paulus

dukediv2013
02-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Paulus had another fabulous game yesterday. I am going to the game on Wednesday night and expect nothing less than a great game by both Duke and Maryland. Duke has found a way to win in the past 4 games. Huge leads have opened up and Duke has held off everyone! This Duke team is extremely impressive and I would not count them out in the ACC or NCAA tourney... for the first time in a long time... Duke maybe a sleeper.

SeattleIrish
02-26-2007, 09:06 PM
When Greg is hitting from outside, Duke is a very difficult team to stop; fortunately for us, Greg has been strong from the 3 most of the 2nd part of the season.

I do find myself blissfully remembering the days when we had a pg who could simply blow by his defender (remember J-Will either converting off the high floating glass shot or drawing a foul EVERY TIME? *sigh*). I've come to understand how amazing Jason was and I certainly do appreciate what Greg does.

O.K. - enough of that. Greg has turned his season around like no other player I can remember at Duke (C. Parks seemed to have a great 2nd half of the season his senior year as well...I can't think of anyone else close to Greg) and it's been a special joy to watch him weather all the controversy and come out so strong. He has been a big part of making this season one of the most enjoyable seasons, for me, in a very long time.

s.i.

Duke15304
02-26-2007, 09:14 PM
but at the same time, its exciting, we are peaking at the right time, and there are no expectations, Go Duke

bluebear
02-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Greg is our most consistent shooter and has played with a lot of confidence lately. How many big 3s has he hit during this streak..
He will never be as quick as JWill or others but he has made great strides in a short time..He has the potential to be a very good PG as the players around him get more confidence.

TheDuke11
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
you know, as slow as Greg is accused of being at times, and rightfully so, he has shown the ability in the last few games to turn on the afterburners a bit and get past his man which has set up our post guys nicely.
He could afford to do this a little more imo. Give'm hell GP3!!

gep
02-26-2007, 11:41 PM
I thought I remembered that J-Will was actually moved to SG, and Chris played PG... after Chris started when Carlos went down. This gave J-Will the total freedom that he exploited.

HK Dukie
02-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Paulus actually has hit as many threes this year as Scheyer. It seems we have three very capable outside shooters in Paulus, Scheyer, and Nelson. I wouldn't count out the other guys either once they get their chance.

Peaking at the right time baybee......

Chard
02-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Peaking? Possibly. They do look good. I just want to see a complete game. Not that a win isn't a complete game. Uh, know what I mean? :)

BGDR
02-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Paulus may not have that blow by ability of Jason Williams or Raymond Felton, but I don't think that can keep him from becoming a very good, if not great college point guard. His passing ability is right up there with McRoberts', who is also a great passer, but gets much more praise for it from the media because he also happens to be a big man. Paulus does get beaten on defense by quicker guards, but that is something he can improve on. On the ball defending isn't all about being quick. I look forward to watching Greg run the Duke teams for the next two years, and I think that by the end of his senior season he will be mentioned among the elite point guards in the country.

Stwray
02-27-2007, 04:30 AM
The more I watch Greg this year, the more I think we should be looking at Gerry MacNamara from Syracuse as a comparison, rather than Duke greats like Hurley and Jason Williams. The ability to score, the sometimes shaky handle, and the leadership qualities all remind me of MacNamara. If Greg can have the career he had, I think we all would be happy.

rthomas
02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I think that Coach K's implementation of the weave has helped Greg a whole lot. The weave gets him moving with the ball and the wings moving toward the ball. The passes are straight forward and safe. That has helped Greg move with the ball toward the basket.

SavannahDevil
02-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Greg really let the atmosphere in Comcast get in his head last time. There is no doubt in my mind that he will come out and redeem himself for that game. Heck, I think the whole team will.

smklin
02-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I think that Coach K's implementation of the weave has helped Greg a whole lot. The weave gets him moving with the ball and the wings moving toward the ball. The passes are straight forward and safe. That has helped Greg move with the ball toward the basket.
i totally agree. i think our offense has shown amazing improvement since the implementation of k's weave. we're getting open shots on the perimiter and, if the guards would really look for it and concentrate on it, we could be getting the ball into mcroberts for a drive or a post a lot more. all in all, it looks great.

kellsie16
02-27-2007, 03:39 PM
hmmm, interesting discussion.

i think paulus has been really good this year. his shooting has been so clutch, he has a knack for hitting the big shot. let's not forget he almost had a double-double last week vs clemson (oh wait, that was 14 points and 9 turnovers)....whoops.

anyway, as to the earlier comments about the most improved season, let us not forget that our own jeff capel was by some accounts (although al featherston would disagree) booed in cameron his senior year, and finished in awesome fashion. he was the heart and soul of that team by the end of the year and even though they lost to providence (pete gillen!) in the end, jeff went down fighting, and shooting. i think paulus's season is shaping up somewhat akin to that one. he's gotten better despite the criticism. it's hard not to like that kid.

go duke!