PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 68, Miami 53

Kedsy
01-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't notice a thread for the women's game tonight and I think it's only right that we have one.

Nice win for the Duke women, 68-53, made even more impressive by the fact that starting forward Oderah Chidom missed the game with an injury (dislocated shoulder).

Elizabeth Williams put up 24 and 11 (on 12 for 18 shooting), while Azurá Stevens (who remains my hero) got 20 and 7 (shooting 9 for 13). Amber Henson, who drew the start in place of Oderah, grabbed 10 rebounds. Ka'lia Johnson had a nice game, with 9 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, and only 1 turnover against Miami's pressure. Becca Greenwell had an off-game (5 points on 2 for 9 shooting, with 0 assists and 4 turnovers), but it was nice to see the team can win handily despite an uncharacteristically poor performance from Becca. We won the battle of the boards, 47 to 33, and blocked 7 shots.

Like I said, a nice win.

Kedsy
01-19-2015, 12:46 AM
Lest anyone think Miami was an easy opponent, the Hurricanes beat Notre Dame by 15, ten days ago.

BlueTeuf
01-19-2015, 03:28 AM
Thanks. I did miss the game. Nice win!

Bob Green
01-19-2015, 07:18 AM
I watched the game and was impressed with our defense, which is really tough with Elizabeth Williams at the top of the zone.

MCFinARL
01-19-2015, 08:25 AM
I watched the game and was impressed with our defense, which is really tough with Elizabeth Williams at the top of the zone.

Yes, Miami was really struggling to get anything going against that D.

Kedsy
01-19-2015, 11:33 AM

In some ways, even tougher with Azurá at the top of the zone, 6'5" with those incredibly long arms, and Elizabeth (best shotblocker in the history of the ACC) down low. Either way, if we avoid too many live ball turnovers we're a tough game for anybody (except maybe UConn).

AIM4excellence
01-19-2015, 04:37 PM
In some ways, even tougher with Azurá at the top of the zone, 6'5" with those incredibly long arms, and Elizabeth (best shotblocker in the history of the ACC) down low. Either way, if we avoid too many live ball turnovers we're a tough game for anybody (except maybe UConn).

First match up with UNCheat in 6 days. Their 3 pt shooting has torched us in the past so a lot will depend on those shots falling. I expect our height will bother their shooting quite a bit, with most of their shooters, outside of Alisha Gray, being on the diminutive side. EWill and Mavunga will basically neutralize each other. Again, it's Azura' that they can't match up with. She gives us such a huge advantage in the mid range game, especially without Xylina on the floor. Beating UNC will hugely impact our ACC and NCAA seedings.

jv001
01-19-2015, 04:42 PM
First match up with UNCheat in 6 days. Their 3 pt shooting has torched us in the past so a lot will depend on those shots falling. I expect our height will bother their shooting quite a bit, with most of their shooters, outside of Alisha Gray, being on the diminutive side. EWill and Mavunga will basically neutralize each other. Again, it's Azura' that they can't match up with. She gives us such a huge advantage in the mid range game, especially without Xylina on the floor. Beating UNC will hugely impact our ACC and NCAA seedings.

Well let's beat those cheaters. (I'd root for the Russians if the cheats played them in pick up stix). If Duke can keep from turning it over, I believe we'll come out on top. GoDuke!