PDA

View Full Version : Quotes/one-liners related to Duke sports

Reilly
01-18-2015, 10:49 PM
In the K documentary the other night, K told the "Here's to never forgetting tonight" story.

What are your memorable quotes/one-liners related to Duke sports, said by Duke sports figures or others/commentators?

I have a couple in mind (one spurred by a recent thread). I'll reserve stating them here and let the thread play out ....

wncgrad
01-18-2015, 11:02 PM
In the K documentary the other night, K told the "Here's to never forgetting tonight" story.

What are your memorable quotes/one-liners related to Duke sports, said by Duke sports figures or others/commentators?

I have a couple in mind (one spurred by a recent thread). I'll reserve stating them here and let the thread play out ....

Lefty Driesell -- "I ain't dumb. I went to Duke."

My own motto is "Nothing comes easy in Duke athletics." Too many examples through the years to explain . . . .

hurleyfor3
01-18-2015, 11:09 PM
He's a DBR persona non grata, but:

"I am proud to have attended Duke. How the school feels about that fact is an entirely different matter." -- John Fenstein

gam7
01-19-2015, 02:22 AM

"alarmingly unathletic" - Doug Gottlieb

roywhite
01-19-2015, 07:34 AM
“They throw it the length of the floor … Laettner catches, comes down, dribbles, shoots … Scores!!"

Memorable call by Bob Harris in the classic Eastern Regional win over Kentucky on 3/28/1992. It is often replayed, and enjoyable every time.

burnspbesq
01-19-2015, 07:42 AM
"Here's the pass to Laettner ..."

"Clean win by Costabile ..."

roywhite
01-19-2015, 09:11 AM
"It's K-r-z-y-z-e-w-s-k-i"

First line by new Basketball Head Coach hire in introductory press conference in 1980.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-19-2015, 09:30 AM
"Duke is king of the dance!"

rifraf
01-19-2015, 09:37 AM
"Just be you. You is enough". - K to the 2010 team with only a few seconds left. I believe one of the regular posters (whose name I can't remember right now, sorry!) has it in their signature.

sagegrouse
01-19-2015, 09:37 AM
"Frosh got the goat! Frosh got the goat!" Cheer on the Quad the night before the victorius game against #3 Navy and Heisman winner Joe Bellino.

sagegrouse
01-19-2015, 09:39 AM
"Now there's a famous basketball name that hasn't been heard from in a while." Sports Illustrated, writing about Duke basketball after it began to turn around with Spanarkel and Gminski in the late 1970's.

sagegrouse
01-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Sports Illustrated bullet point on college football some time back in the 1980's: "Wallace Wade stadium at Duke is the best place in the country to watch bad football."

The bookend remark was, "Memorial Stadium at Nebraska is the worst place in the country to watch good football."

The loverly folks in the Duke SID used the remark in old football guides but edited out the "b-a-d" word.

MCFinARL
01-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Sports Illustrated bullet point on college football some time back in the 1980's: "Wallace Wade stadium at Duke is the best place in the country to watch bad football."

The bookend remark was, "Memorial Stadium at Nebraska is the worst place in the country to watch good football."

The loverly folks in the Duke SID used the remark in old football guides but edited out the "b-a-d" word.

That's a little like movie ads that quote someone saying the movie is "astonishing" when the original quote was "this movie is so poorly made it's astonishing..."

nmduke2001
01-19-2015, 09:56 AM
The term "air ball" is often noted as being created by the crazies. At worst, the term was made popular by the crazies in 1979.

TKG
01-19-2015, 10:01 AM
G-T-H-C

If you can't go to college go to State.

Please don't eat me.

One more kid.

Dukehky
01-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Coach K- "Hey 42, that was a dirty foul!

Dean Smith- "Don't talk to my player"

Coach K- " Hey Dean, **** You!"

OldPhiKap
01-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Basketball: "We beg to differ!"

Football: "Repel them! Repel them! Make them relinquish the ball!"

devildeac
01-19-2015, 10:21 AM
"They're @#$%ing animals"-SIU MBB coach regarding Duke's play after 83-58 Duke win sometime around November 20, 2008.

Wander
01-19-2015, 10:29 AM
After winning the ACC tournament in Jon Scheyer's senior year:

Reporter: What was your favorite moment at Duke?
Scheyer: It hasn't happened yet.

DukieInKansas
01-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Basketball: "We beg to differ!"

Football: "Repel them! Repel them! Make them relinquish the ball!"

I remember this as Harass them! Harass them! Make them relinquish the ball!

TruBlu
01-19-2015, 10:50 AM
"Have a drink, Norm Sloan, have a drink!" - - Crazies to State's Coach as he walked onto the court, after he had made a comment to a reporter that the Duke student fans must all get drunk before games.

This chant was accompanied by the Crazies waving large inflated alcohol bottles at Norm.

PDDuke85
01-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Duke football? Hell yes it's Duke football!

sagegrouse
01-19-2015, 11:03 AM

The longer story bears repeating, courtesy of John Feinstein:

Feinstein was at Denny's with K and someone else (I can't find my source -- it may have been a verbal quote). After the shellacking by Virginia 109-66 at the ACC Tournament in Atlanta, there was a bunch of Duke people in a suite at the hotel. Mrs. K was going bananas and was convinced that Mike would be fired. "We've got to get him out of here," said someone. So Feinstein and the other person got K to go down to the Denny's nearby. That's where the quote, "Here's to forgetting tonight," and "No. Here's to never forgetting tonight" were uttered.

Eight years later, in the victorious Duke locker room at the RCA Dome after beating Kansas for the National Championship, JF congratulated K, who responded,

"This is better than that [effing] Denny's!"

devildeac
01-19-2015, 11:10 AM
"After a contentious game against Dean Smith and North Carolina in 1984, Mike Krzyzewski told reporters the refs had a double standard when working UNC games. Nine years later, Krzyzewski and Smith faced off in a 1993 game inside the Dean Dome. After an argument with the longtime UNC coach, Coach K stormed back to the bench and, according to John Feinstein's A March to Madness, made the following request to his assistants. "If I even for one minute start to act like [Smith], don't ask a single question. Just get a gun and shoot me."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/03/20/duke-hate-ncaa-tournament-bracket-mike-krzyzewski/2003359/

devildeac
01-19-2015, 11:14 AM
"There's only one word to describe this place--it's a zoo, " said NBC-TV's Al McGuire, who joined the inmates in the stands a few years back dressed as a lion tamer--whip and chair in hand--while broadcast partner Dick Enberg tossed peanuts.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-02-12/sports/sp-1051_1_cameron-crazies

arlight
01-19-2015, 01:06 PM
"OH! IT ALMOST WENT IN! IT ALMOST WENT IN! And Duke is king of the dance 2010!"

cspan37421
01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
"It's K-r-z-y-z-e-w-s-k-i"

First line by new Basketball Head Coach hire in introductory press conference in 1980.

"... and if you think that's bad, you should have seen it before I changed it."

AtlBluRew
01-19-2015, 01:55 PM

This one needs modification: If you don't go to class, go to Carolina.

Reilly
01-19-2015, 01:58 PM

"Crank up that John Deere, get out of here, get out of here" - heard in Wallace Wade in the late-1980s, as Duke was beating NCSU, being chanted by a bunch of drunk/baked probably early 40s alums (so, undergrads in the late 1960s) ....

Reilly
01-19-2015, 02:00 PM
The longer story bears repeating, courtesy of John Feinstein:

Feinstein was at Denny's with K and someone else (I can't find my source -- it may have been a verbal quote). After the shellacking by Virginia 109-66 at the ACC Tournament in Atlanta, there was a bunch of Duke people in a suite at the hotel. Mrs. K was going bananas and was convinced that Mike would be fired. "We've got to get him out of here," said someone. So Feinstein and the other person got K to go down to the Denny's nearby. That's where the quote, "Here's to forgetting tonight," and "No. Here's to never forgetting tonight" were uttered.

Eight years later, in the victorious Duke locker room at the RCA Dome after beating Kansas for the National Championship, JF congratulated K, who responded,

"This is better than that [effing] Denny's!"

I believe Tom Mickle was part of the early-morning Denny's crew, and maybe a fourth as well.

ancienteagle
01-19-2015, 03:55 PM
"Crank up that John Deere, get out of here, get out of here" - heard in Wallace Wade in the late-1980s, as Duke was beating NCSU, being chanted by a bunch of drunk/baked probably early 40s alums (so, undergrads in the late 1960s) ....

How about Dickie V's memorable one-liner near the end of a Georgia Tech - Duke game at Cameron in which Bobby Cremins' team was being blown out. As Cremins signals a play by sticking his index finger in the air and making a circular motion with it, Vitale bursts out with, "You know that means? You know what that signal means? START THE BUS, BAYBEEEE!!!"

jv001
01-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Our own Left Hander's " I'll make Maryland the UCLA of the East. Didn't work out that way and eventually became one of the most hated teams by Duke fans. But that was after Lefty went else where. GoDuke!

quahog174
01-19-2015, 04:41 PM
"What position does he play? He plays winner."

throatybeard
01-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Chris Carrawell on NC State:

They came out all rah-rah. We knocked them back. After that, there was no more rah-rah.

Tom D'armi on 1994 Homecoming:

I'll tell you one damn thing. We're gonna have two beer trucks.

VP for Student Affairs, Janet Dickerson, on the mid-1990s alcohol policy:

I can't tell you how to live your life, but I am the the person who calls your mother when you get killed.

throatybeard
01-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Oh, I almost forgot.

Shane Battier at a preseason presser in 1998-99, when asked if an ACC title and a FF appearance were goals of that team:

The onus is on us.

MulletMan
01-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Chris Carrawell on NC State:

They came out all rah-rah. We knocked them back. After that, there was no more rah-rah.

Tom D'armi on 1994 Homecoming:

I'll tell you one damn thing. We're gonna have two beer trucks.

VP for Student Affairs, Janet Dickerson, on the mid-1990s alcohol policy:

I can't tell you how to live your life, but I am the the person who calls your mother when you get killed.

That is not my favorite D'armi quote.

"How sweet it is!" - Bob Harris

burnspbesq
01-19-2015, 10:09 PM
The second best TV call in Duke lacrosse history: Chris Hipps' slashing penalty in the fourth quarter of the Carolina game in 2013.

Eamonn: "Yeah, he got him."

throatybeard
01-19-2015, 10:34 PM
That is not my favorite D'armi quote.

Mine either, but we have a lame filter that culls certain Anglo-Saxon words.

I thought of another.

A propos of Jay Bilas' customary self-deprecating humor on the telecast tonight, Bilas in 1985-86 on his NBA prospects:

I'd give my right arm to play in the NBA. Of course, there isn't much demand for one-armed players.

jv001
01-20-2015, 07:37 AM
The second best TV call in Duke lacrosse history: Chris Hipps' slashing penalty in the fourth quarter of the Carolina game in 2013.

Eamonn: "Yeah, he got him."

You reminded me of a Duke vs. Unc football game back in the day. A Carolina player was injured and did not immediately get off the field of play. My Duke buddy all of a sudden hollers " paint a line on him and snap the ball". If it had been against a team not called tarheels, I don't think he yells that. I don't like the cheaters but even I think it was in poor taste. GoDuke!

DevilHorse
01-20-2015, 07:50 AM
"Hustle is a Talent" - Coach K referring to Bobby Hurley and the motor he use to drag around with him.

Larry
DevilHorse

dukefanSD
01-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Coach K's response to Doug Gottlieb's
"alarmingly unathletic" comment : "I'll have to take a look at that a little bit closer because it comes from an expert who actually knows what it feels like to be alarmingly unathletic."

nocilla
01-20-2015, 09:25 AM
After winning the ACC tournament in Jon Scheyer's senior year:

Reporter: What was your favorite moment at Duke?
Scheyer: It hasn't happened yet.

I could be wrong but I don't think that was a reporter. I think it was Coach K or Mickie K at the Krzyzewski house during Jon's senior dinner.

throatybeard
01-20-2015, 09:54 AM
One-liners, how about one-worders?

On being asked what he'd miss most after retiring from Duke MBB, Vic Bubas:

Practice.

CameronBlue
01-20-2015, 10:34 AM
This thread is missing a couple of gems which I can't accurately remember, to spark the collective memory:

Brian Davis: The only person who plays the point better than Bobby is me. And I don't play the point.

In a post-game PC during the NCAAs someone associated with UNC, maybe an assistant SID chimed in

"Duke is pretty good, after all it's only 8 miles from UNC."

Coach K responded immediately "Yeah think how much better Duke would be if it was 12 miles from UNC."

Corrections welcome.

ancienteagle
01-20-2015, 11:36 AM
One-liners, how about one-worders?

On being asked what he'd miss most after retiring from Duke MBB, Vic Bubas:

Practice.

Do signs count? if so, what about:

Mrs. Sloan Loves Norm's Tiny Pender! [My favorite] or the Washburn classic:

Chris Walks with the Ball, but Runs with the Stereo!

OldPhiKap
01-20-2015, 11:40 AM
"In-Hale! Ex-Hale!"

"Shaq can't slam!" (also "1, 2, 3, 4, Shaq can't play this game no more")

"ES, DS, ES"

roywhite
01-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Do signs count? if so, what about:

Even in our down era in football, there was still some good spirit as evidenced by this sign at a Duke/UNC football game

"We may have jock itch, but you have Dick Crum."

Im4howdy
01-20-2015, 11:50 AM
After winning the 1978 ACC Tournament- "...we've gone from the outhouse to the penthouse..."

devildeac
01-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Even in our down era in football, there was still some good spirit as evidenced by this sign at a Duke/UNC football game

And I'm sure my friend roywhite submitted the above post as the perfect set-up for:

"You suck, Richard." :o

Tom B.
01-20-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm a little surprised that nobody's mentioned the Ken Denlinger line describing the Crazies as "several thoursand Duke students majoring in smartass."

(Though the Crazies have worn that zinger as a badge of pride, Denlinger didn't mean it as a compliment. The line appeared in a column that he wrote shortly after the Herman Veal incident, in which he was highly critical of the Crazies.)

roywhite
01-20-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm a little surprised that nobody's mentioned the Ken Denlinger line describing the Crazies as "several thoursand Duke students majoring in smartass."

(Though the Crazies have worn that zinger as a badge of pride, Denlinger didn't mean it as a compliment. The line appeared in a column that he wrote shortly after the Herman Veal incident, in which he was highly critical of the Crazies.)

Didn't the Crazies direct a "Yellow....Journalism.....Yellow....Journalism" chant at Denlinger?

blUDAYvil
01-20-2015, 04:37 PM
One of my favorites was when UNC played at Duke in 2005. Crowd pointing at Jackie Manuel... "Manual".. pointing at JJ... "Automatic"

accfanfrom1970
01-20-2015, 05:19 PM
"we beg to differ" from the Terry Sanford days....

When Denzel Washington was at the Penn game and his son played, every time he touched the ball the crazies yelling "man on fire"

favorite sign from the days of walk in Patrick Johnson - "insert big Johnson" complete with ruler.....

sagegrouse
01-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Does everyone remember Florida State's Big Jelly -- Nigel Dixon, 6-10 and 350 pounds?

The Crazies chanted, pointing at the very thin seven-foot Duke center, Casey Sanders: "Casey Sanders! Casey Sanders!"

And then turned and pointed at Dixon, "Colonel Sanders! Colonel Sanders!"

That got a laugh out of everyone, including Big Jelly himself.

-jk
01-20-2015, 05:39 PM
"we beg to differ" from the Terry Sanford days....

And its corollary to the refs, "Bovine Feces!"

-jk

DukieInKansas
01-20-2015, 06:02 PM
Green Shorts is still one of my favorites - especially when accompanied by the confused faces of the opponents and first time Cameron attendees.

Yes, I'm old. And you young whippersnappers better stay off of my lawn!

OldPhiKap
01-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Green Shorts is still one of my favorites - especially when accompanied by the confused faces of the opponents and first time Cameron attendees.

Yes, I'm old. And you young whippersnappers better stay off of my lawn!

When I went to games, they were actually in black and white.

Pghdukie
01-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Vasquez from Maryland saying "they would swear at me in 6 different languages !

BD80
01-20-2015, 07:46 PM
I'm a little surprised that nobody's mentioned the Ken Denlinger line describing the Crazies as "several thoursand Duke students majoring in smartass." ...

The Cam is the situs for graduate study. A true mecca of upper-level smart-assery (assitude?). From that crucible was forged some of the finest wit on the planet!

Of course, our reputation benefits greatly from the comparative (absolute?) dearth of wit 8 miles away.

DukieInKansas
01-20-2015, 07:57 PM

I remember going to a soccer game against Clemson. At the time, they were called the Nigerian Express because of the number of players from Nigeria. At some point during the game, I ended up behind the Clemson goalie. A Duke professor kept translating what he was saying for the crowd. It was pretty funny.

DukeandMdFan
01-20-2015, 08:59 PM
"All Ball......All Ball"

Al McGuire's call of Johnny D's game ending blocked shot of David Rivers.

dbowen
01-20-2015, 09:56 PM
'Dockery does it for Duke again'

detule
01-20-2015, 10:15 PM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2005/12/05/dock-beats-clock#.VL8ZjIrF9y4

throatybeard
01-21-2015, 05:36 AM

I was surprised to learn from Wiki that he is still Carolina's winningest football coach. He's got Mack Brown 72 to 69. He's eighty years old, somehow. Bill Dooley also had 69.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Copied from Sage Grouse's signature line if SG has not posted it already:

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Tom B.
01-21-2015, 12:23 PM

Along those same lines, after Vazquez was quoted as saying that Cameron was "my house," the Crazies serenaded him in his next appearance there with chants of "Nuestra casa!"

In other great moments of multilingual taunting, there was the chant of "Fehlwurf!" ("Air ball!") at Detlef Schrempf -- and a poster directed at UNC's Henrik Rodl that displayed a German phrase with a translation that the board filter probably wouldn't allow, which referenced the performance of a certain sex act with Rodl's mother.

Reilly
01-25-2015, 10:03 AM
"I watched a special on Shaolin monks last night on the Discovery Channel; I was pretty bored," Battier said. "They were talking about having the 'chi,' and having an absolute calmness in mind. I took that to heart." (February 3, 1999, after a 27-point performance as a sophomore against Maryland in Cameron) (game: http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19990203) (story: http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/1999/02/04/battier-blasts-terps#.VMUFmBx26Sh)

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 10:59 AM
"I watched a special on Shaolin monks last night on the Discovery Channel; I was pretty bored," Battier said. "They were talking about having the 'chi,' and having an absolute calmness in mind. I took that to heart." (February 3, 1999, after a 27-point performance as a sophomore against Maryland in Cameron) (game: http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19990203) (story: http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/1999/02/04/battier-blasts-terps#.VMUFmBx26Sh)

Great find, that is one of my favorite stories.

BlueTeuf
01-25-2015, 10:23 PM
"Dennard and Banks....So Long and Thanks" from a T-shirt that I can't believe I no longer have. Could I possibly have jettisoned it?

"Sometimes it just be's that way" Al Wood, after a loss to Duke (correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Edouble
01-26-2015, 12:28 AM
I remember going to a soccer game against Clemson. At the time, they were called the Nigerian Express because of the number of players from Nigeria. At some point during the game, I ended up behind the Clemson goalie. A Duke professor kept translating what he was saying for the crowd. It was pretty funny.

Reminds me of when the Carolina basketball team would call out their plays in Swahili to confuse opponents.

Dukehky
01-26-2015, 12:47 AM
I'm astounded that the time K dropped the F bomb at Deano isn't getting more love here. That is the best story I have ever heard in my life. I love the PC K that we see in press conferences and in interviews and stuff, but K on the court is just the best. He is vulgar, angry, passionate, brilliant, competitive, protective, and a little bit crazy all at the same time. I got to sit behind the bench a few times in Cameron, and whenever I'm having a bad day, I just remember some of the ridiculous things K says in timeouts/to the refs/to his assistants. Even thinking about them now, it makes me want to run through a wall for the guy. If i was a player on that Duke team where K told the most revered coach in the conference to piss off, I would lose a limb for the guy. He does it all the time.

gumbomoop
01-26-2015, 09:16 AM
K: "Just watch Shane. For a few possessions, don't look at anything else. Just watch Shane."

alteran
01-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Of course, our reputation benefits greatly from the comparative (absolute?) dearth of wit 8 miles away.
There may be a dearth of wit eight miles down the road, but somehow they ALL get diplomas.

Has someone mentioned Coach K saying of Dean Smith, "if I ever act like that guy, just shoot me."

devildeac
01-26-2015, 09:53 AM
"After a contentious game against Dean Smith and North Carolina in 1984, Mike Krzyzewski told reporters the refs had a double standard when working UNC games. Nine years later, Krzyzewski and Smith faced off in a 1993 game inside the Dean Dome. After an argument with the longtime UNC coach, Coach K stormed back to the bench and, according to John Feinstein's A March to Madness, made the following request to his assistants. "If I even for one minute start to act like [Smith], don't ask a single question. Just get a gun and shoot me."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/03/20/duke-hate-ncaa-tournament-bracket-mike-krzyzewski/2003359/

There may be a dearth of wit eight miles down the road, but somehow they ALL get diplomas.

Has someone mentioned Coach K saying of Dean Smith, "if I ever act like that guy, just shoot me."

As a matter of fact, some knucklehead upthread already did;).

alteran
01-26-2015, 11:39 AM
I'm astounded that the time K dropped the F bomb at Deano isn't getting more love here. That is the best story I have ever heard in my life. I love the PC K that we see in press conferences and in interviews and stuff, but K on the court is just the best. He is vulgar, angry, passionate, brilliant, competitive, protective, and a little bit crazy all at the same time. I got to sit behind the bench a few times in Cameron, and whenever I'm having a bad day, I just remember some of the ridiculous things K says in timeouts/to the refs/to his assistants. Even thinking about them now, it makes me want to run through a wall for the guy. If i was a player on that Duke team where K told the most revered coach in the conference to piss off, I would lose a limb for the guy. He does it all the time.

Trust me, that gets much love.

If you have any anecdotes to share, with or without quotes, please fire away.

Tom B.
01-26-2015, 12:34 PM

I was at one game several years ago (can't remember the opponent) sitting in Section 9, which is the upper-level section in the corner closest to the visiting team's bench. During one stretch, Duke lost focus and made a few bad plays in a row, leading to a couple of easy scores for our opponent. K called timeout, and the players started ambling back towards the bench. Apparently they weren't moving fast enough for K, so he stepped out on to the court, stomped his foot on the floor and shouted, "GET THE F--- OVER HERE!!!!" Cameron was unusually quiet at the time, so K's foot stomp and shout were quite audible, even in my seat in the upper-level corner at the opposite end of the arena.

Reilly
01-27-2015, 05:51 PM
"Does Duke play football? You're damn right we play football."

"Duke football? Hell yes it's Duke football."

GGLC
01-27-2015, 06:00 PM
Shane, run around and make plays.

Edouble
01-27-2015, 08:22 PM
The Cwell "NC State rah rah" and Shane "monk" quotes, which have already been mentioned, are my favorites.

The '99 team was really a golden age for quotes, with Shane and Chris, two of the most quotable Duke players ever, on the same roster.

A story I heard from a Duke manager on the '99 team, that was relayed to him via Corey Maggette, was that Elton Brand, Will Avery, and Maggette ran into Spike Lee in their hotel in Atlanta for the Tech game (or was it in NYC for the St. John's game?... it's been so long I am questioning my memory).

Spike, a serious basketball fan, complimented the three on the season they had been having thus far, but said that he wouldn't be pulling for them because "ya know, y'all play for Duke", to which Elton responded, "That's OK. I haven't really been feeling your movies lately either".

Ha ha ha. One of my favorite Duke stories/one liners.

CLT Devil
01-28-2015, 12:35 AM
Does everyone remember Florida State's Big Jelly -- Nigel Dixon, 6-10 and 350 pounds?

The Crazies chanted, pointing at the very thin seven-foot Duke center, Casey Sanders: "Casey Sanders! Casey Sanders!"

And then turned and pointed at Dixon, "Colonel Sanders! Colonel Sanders!"

That got a laugh out of everyone, including Big Jelly himself.

I believe I remember a "Mo-by Dix-on," 'clap, clap, clap clap clap' when 'ol Nigel visited Cameron. He had shorts that didn't have the typical size label, instead they just read "Dixon L because there wasn't enough room for all the Xs. He took it in good nature so it I don't feel bad recounting it.

"One more kid" has to be one of my favorites, mainly because it was usually a bittersweet moment during said player's Senior Night game.

Those are more Crazies Chants, so my favorite one-liner is an often repeated phrase that I can't attribute to any one announcer but pays the ultimate compliment to the Duke program as a whole and how other teams see us: "They're everybody's Super Bowl." Can't say much more than that on what Duke Basketball stands for.

Reilly
01-28-2015, 09:05 AM
The hoops database shows a Sunday night game on January 6, 2002 that Big Jelly played in ... Duke @ FSU ... I think that was the beginning of the Sunday night broadcasts and I think Kenny Smith may have been doing color commentary ... the play-by-play guy said something to the effect of Dixon having lost 25 pounds in some period of time and Kenny Smith replied (paraphrase) "Lost? If he looks behind him, he'll find it."

devildeac
01-28-2015, 12:45 PM
I believe I remember a "Mo-by Dix-on," 'clap, clap, clap clap clap' when 'ol Nigel visited Cameron. He had shorts that didn't have the typical size label, instead they just read "Dixon L because there wasn't enough room for all the Xs. He took it in good nature so it I don't feel bad recounting it.

"One more kid" has to be one of my favorites, mainly because it was usually a bittersweet moment during said player's Senior Night game.

Those are more Crazies Chants, so my favorite one-liner is an often repeated phrase that I can't attribute to any one announcer but pays the ultimate compliment to the Duke program as a whole and how other teams see us: "They're everybody's Super Bowl." Can't say much more than that on what Duke Basketball stands for.

The other 2 Nigel Dixon cheers I remember are:

1. Please don't eat me: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.
2. Hey, hey, hey!!

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-28-2015, 02:39 PM
"This useless white space is in honor of Eric Montross."

Reilly
02-02-2015, 03:25 PM
I think after Devon Edwards scored three TDs against NC State in 2013, he was interviewed on GoDuke.com. He was asked about how schools had backed off recruiting him due to his smaller size. He said Cut had seen him play hoops in high school, and Cut had told him, "Your game's not small."

captmojo
02-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Still cleaning up after the Dick Crum stuff.

"PILOT LIFE SUCKS"

Edouble
02-03-2015, 03:03 PM
The Cwell "NC State rah rah" and Shane "monk" quotes, which have already been mentioned, are my favorites.

The '99 team was really a golden age for quotes, with Shane and Chris, two of the most quotable Duke players ever, on the same roster.

A story I heard from a Duke manager on the '99 team, that was relayed to him via Corey Maggette, was that Elton Brand, Will Avery, and Maggette ran into Spike Lee in their hotel in Atlanta for the Tech game (or was it in NYC for the St. John's game?... it's been so long I am questioning my memory).

Spike, a serious basketball fan, complimented the three on the season they had been having thus far, but said that he wouldn't be pulling for them because "ya know, y'all play for Duke", to which Elton responded, "That's OK. I haven't really been feeling your movies lately either".

Ha ha ha. One of my favorite Duke stories/one liners.

Story addendum: I remember now... this did take place in Atlanta, before the Tech game (02/06/99). Spike Lee was in Atlanta for Hank Aaron's 65th birthday party. Hank's birthday is 02/05/34, so this would have happened in the hotel the night before the game. I believe the party was at a hotel across the street from where the team was staying, so some of the players wandered over to check it out.