PDA

View Full Version : Podcast Forum Participation - Out of Conference Opponents

Dev11
01-18-2015, 09:57 PM
We recorded a new podcast this morning which will get posted overnight, but in the meantime, we wanted to get back to a forum participation question, so here we go for this week.

Duke plays St. Johns next weekend, as we do nearly every season. If you could make the schedule, which out of conference opponent would you want Duke to have a regular series with?

As usual, post here and we'll highlight the best or most creative answers on the podcast next weekend. We'll record after the St. Johns game, so try to get ideas posted by Saturday night.

tfk53
01-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Arizona is what pops into my mind first - a program with an excellent coach, top 10-15 program consistently now for a number of years, as well as a fine history. Exposure for Duke in the West another positive. Others come to mind but will limit to one as asked.

OldPhiKap
01-18-2015, 10:09 PM
Maryland.

OK, kidding.

To be frank, we play teams in the Northeast, we play the Big ## Challenge, we play the tourney with Ky/UK/MSU. We often play another early season tourney with teams from all over the country. Another nonconference game is not my real desire. I want to play home and away with State and Wake, every year. That's my real answer.

Out of conference, Texas would not be a bad choice. Lots of good players in that market, would be good games and good exposure.

devildeac
01-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Maryland.

OK, kidding.

To be frank, we play teams in the Northeast, we play the Big ## Challengle, we play the tourney with Ky/UK/MSU. We often play another early season tourney with teams from all over the country. Another nonconference game is not my real desire. I want to play home and away with State and Wake, every year. That's my real answer.

Out of conference, Texas would not be a bad choice. Lots of good players in that market, would be good games and good exposure.

I know you're kidding, but no thanks:

"Students at the University of Maryland—a repeat offender on the list—caused nearly $500,000 in damage between March 31 and April 1, 2001, after a bonfire set by fans got out of hand. The riots took place after the Terps blew a 22-point lead in the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four, losing to Duke. Rowdy fans smashed storefronts, attacked police, and set a mobile home ablaze."

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/01/biggest-college-campus-riots-in-history/maryland-riots-after-loss-to-duke

"Talk about excessive celebration. On April Fool's Day, 2002, University of Maryland students broke into senseless pandemonium following a defeat of Indiana in the NCAA men's basketball championship. Nearly 5,000 took to the streets to celebrate the school's first title, no doubt consuming copious amounts of alcohol in the process and engaging in generally destructive behavior throughout the night. We're talking smashing beer bottles upside each other's heads and then eating the ensuing shards of glass as a show of solidarity, or at least something equally insane. Flames broke out, trash cans were set ablaze and emergency vehicles were dealt thousands of dollars' worth of damage. More than a dozen were arrested in the multiple-day affair, which erupted in the same week as a costly fracas following the Terrapins' advancing to the national championship in the first place. Maryland, this -- this -- is why you can't have nice things."

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/01/biggest-college-campus-riots-in-history/pandemonium-erupts-in-maryland-following-ncaa-cham

OldPhiKap
01-18-2015, 10:24 PM
I know you're kidding, but no thanks:

"Students at the University of Maryland—a repeat offender on the list—caused nearly $500,000 in damage between March 31 and April 1, 2001, after a bonfire set by fans got out of hand. The riots took place after the Terps blew a 22-point lead in the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four, losing to Duke. Rowdy fans smashed storefronts, attacked police, and set a mobile home ablaze."

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/01/biggest-college-campus-riots-in-history/maryland-riots-after-loss-to-duke

"Talk about excessive celebration. On April Fool's Day, 2002, University of Maryland students broke into senseless pandemonium following a defeat of Indiana in the NCAA men's basketball championship. Nearly 5,000 took to the streets to celebrate the school's first title, no doubt consuming copious amounts of alcohol in the process and engaging in generally destructive behavior throughout the night. We're talking smashing beer bottles upside each other's heads and then eating the ensuing shards of glass as a show of solidarity, or at least something equally insane. Flames broke out, trash cans were set ablaze and emergency vehicles were dealt thousands of dollars' worth of damage. More than a dozen were arrested in the multiple-day affair, which erupted in the same week as a costly fracas following the Terrapins' advancing to the national championship in the first place. Maryland, this -- this -- is why you can't have nice things."

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/01/biggest-college-campus-riots-in-history/pandemonium-erupts-in-maryland-following-ncaa-cham

Obviously kidding, good riddance.

My worry is that the NCAA seeding committee will put us in the same bracket to "revive" the "rivalry." If we never play them again, I'm good.

gurufrisbee
01-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Gonzaga.

They are a strong team every year and would give Duke a good challenge for sure. The Kennel is a great road environment to have to play every other year. And as a resident of Washington and someone who is in Spokane a lot, very selfishly I would get to see Duke in some of those games up here!

(What, you thought I was going to pick Providence?)

blazindw
01-18-2015, 11:38 PM
I would pick 2 teams to have a series with: Kansas and UCLA. And I would make them true home games for each team. It would be great to see Duke-Kansas at Allen, Duke-UCLA at Pauley or either squad visit Cameron. The history between those 3 teams would always make for great storylines, even with some of the lean years UCLA has had recently.

awhom111
01-19-2015, 01:05 AM
Big cities either with Duke alumni bases or where Duke actively recruits students. I like all of the Northeast corridor games, but really think we should schedule games in Texas and California much more often. Schools from smaller cities played in NBA arenas are also welcome.

True away:
-Washington
-Cal
-Villanova (instead of Temple all the time)
-Georgetown
-San Diego State
-New Mexico
-USC
-UCLA
-Texas
-Florida
-UNLV
-Arizona State
-TCU
-Houston
-Tulane
-Memphis

"Neutral":
-Wazzu/Gonzaga in Seattle
-Arizona at Staples Center
-Baylor in Arlington
-Kansas State in Kansas City
-Mizzou/Illinois in St. Louis
-Colorado in Denver

Duvall
01-19-2015, 01:14 AM
Wagner. It's payback time.

hurleyfor3
01-19-2015, 03:19 AM
I hope we continue the series against Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville. Notre Dame is a worthy opponent too, last year's game notwithstanding.

Oh wait.

weezie
01-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Arizona is what pops into my mind first - a program with an excellent coach, top 10-15 program consistently now for a number of years, as well as a fine history. Exposure for Duke in the West another positive. Others come to mind but will limit to one as asked.

I'd be all in on this one. Sean Miller is a secret secondary fav coach of mine.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-19-2015, 08:50 AM
I think UNLV would be an awesome choice. The people of Vegas would love it and it would be a fun trip for Duke fans every other year. The Thomas & Mack or is it (Mac) center is a nice stadium and would fit plenty of Duke fans as well. I think its kind of a no brainer, we haven't played since the final four.

Also despite the rivalry and the silly thugs vs preppie Dukies crap that was everywhere back in 1991, most people in Vegas have a good amount of respect for Duke.

They also think had UNLV won that game that they could be the Duke type program with multiple titles and final fours. Its considered a turning point in their program. Ncaa infractions aside.

superdave
01-19-2015, 12:27 PM
I would pick 2 teams to have a series with: Kansas and UCLA. And I would make them true home games for each team. It would be great to see Duke-Kansas at Allen, Duke-UCLA at Pauley or either squad visit Cameron. The history between those 3 teams would always make for great storylines, even with some of the lean years UCLA has had recently.

I agree with this. Kansas and UCLA would be fantastic regulars.

I would also be excited about Kentucky, Georgetown, Michigan, Gonzaga, Arizona and Texas. Anything to get a bigtime matchup in another part of the country is good for us. I do enjoy the games at the U Center, MSG and elsewhere. It resembles a tourney game and that is a good thing.

It would be cool to have games in the hometowns (or close) for each senior. Coach K used to do this more often. I think the last one I remember was in Oregon for Singler. A DC game vs. Georgetown for Quinn would have been cool this year.

blazindw
01-19-2015, 01:00 PM
It would be cool to have games in the hometowns (or close) for each senior. Coach K used to do this more often. I think the last one I remember was in Oregon for Singler. A DC game vs. Georgetown for Quinn would have been cool this year.

He still does, though it's not necessarily senior year. I believe the idea is in a player's 4 years they will have a hometown game at least once. In Quinn's case, I believe playing at Maryland constituted his hometown game since College Park is considered in the DC area.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-19-2015, 01:26 PM
We already have a every few years meeting with Kansas and Kentucky in the Champions Classic, wouldn't it be kind of overkill to play them again in a home and home series? I get that it would be cool, but I have seen Duke play Kentucky and Mich St. and Kansas so many times already. Give me some variety, and a West Coast team so I can make a trip somewhere cool. Like Vegas or Arizona, or LA. Teams that we won't see much of unless we are in the Final Four against them due to the regions we are in.

blazindw
01-19-2015, 01:52 PM
We already have a every few years meeting with Kansas and Kentucky in the Champions Classic, wouldn't it be kind of overkill to play them again in a home and home series? I get that it would be cool, but I have seen Duke play Kentucky and Mich St. and Kansas so many times already. Give me some variety, and a West Coast team so I can make a trip somewhere cool. Like Vegas or Arizona, or LA. Teams that we won't see much of unless we are in the Final Four against them due to the regions we are in.

Well, the question is who would you want to see us play every single year. I think Kansas is a team that I would enjoy playing every year. By playing Kansas home-and-home, at least in my scenario, it would be at the expense of not seeing them in the Champions Classic. Which, to be fair, we were not expected to continue after the "round robin" was completed last year...it was a bit of a surprise that all 4 teams renewed the series with the Champions Classic as the Classic's original intent was to have 4 new teams replace Duke, Kentucky, MSU and Kansas.

jv001
01-19-2015, 04:34 PM
I would like to see Duke and Hawaii play a home and away for about 10 years. I believe the wife and I could save up enough $$$$$$$ to make at least one trip. I've been blessed to have been there 4 times. The first time I was stationed on Oahu serving in the US Army(25th Infantry Division), the 2nd and 3rd were company paid trips. And the 4th was for our 10th anniversary. Man it's time to go back to one of the prettiest places I've been blessed to visit. GoDuke!

BigWayne
01-23-2015, 06:46 PM
I would like to see Duke and Hawaii play a home and away for about 10 years. I believe the wife and I could save up enough $$$$$$$ to make at least one trip. I've been blessed to have been there 4 times. The first time I was stationed on Oahu serving in the US Army(25th Infantry Division), the 2nd and 3rd were company paid trips. And the 4th was for our 10th anniversary. Man it's time to go back to one of the prettiest places I've been blessed to visit. GoDuke!

I would assume periodic trips to the Maui tournament would rule this one out.

I would like to see a west coast game every other year for exposure and recruiting purposes. However, I doubt it's possible most years given what has historically and is currently planned. The logical time for a western trip is the Thanksgiving break. That is when the Singler/Oregon game happened. That was possible that year because the early season tournament was the CBE Classic, which finishes up early in the Thanksgiving week. Most of the other early season tournaments use the Thanksgiving break as part of their schedule. Gonzaga, Stanford, and UCLA would be the most logical fits but I doubt we schedule Stanford unless Johnny D asks for it or moves on.

-jk
01-23-2015, 06:52 PM
I would assume periodic trips to the Maui tournament would rule this one out.

I would like to see a west coast game every other year for exposure and recruiting purposes. However, I doubt it's possible most years given what has historically and is currently planned. The logical time for a western trip is the Thanksgiving break. That is when the Singler/Oregon game happened. That was possible that year because the early season tournament was the CBE Classic, which finishes up early in the Thanksgiving week. Most of the other early season tournaments use the Thanksgiving break as part of their schedule. Gonzaga, Stanford, and UCLA would be the most logical fits but I doubt we schedule Stanford unless Johnny D asks for it or moves on.

I think Chaminade (Ralph!) hosts the Maui. Hawaii isn't a regular participant.

-jk