PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ferry NBA General Manager of the Year (Opinion)

heyman25
01-18-2015, 05:57 PM
The team he assembled is at the top of the East. Hope he gets to work his magic at another team. I doubt if when the new owners take over that they want him back.

53n206
01-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Is this award official, or is it your personal opinion?

subzero02
01-18-2015, 07:27 PM
If his word choices were as deft as his personnel choices, he wouldn't be in midst of an indefinite leave of absence. He's got some Antarctican in him.

FerryFor50
01-18-2015, 08:59 PM
If his word choices were as deft as his personnel choices, he wouldn't be in midst of an indefinite leave of absence. He's got some Antarctican in him.

To paraphrase David Bowie, "heyman leave him alone". :p

JasonEvans
01-18-2015, 09:00 PM

It may take him some time to find a new team willing to take him on (once the Hawks get rid of him). It has been suggested that he would have a difficult time convincing African-American players to play for his team and that is sorta a death blow in the NBA. Given a choice (assuming the dollars are nearly equal) between playing for a guy who is thought to be at least a little bit racist and one who is not, Ferry is going to lose every time.

To be clear, I think Danny has been at least a little bit unfairly labelled, but "perception is reality" and he is perceived as being someone with some racism problems. In my opinion, that makes him borderline unemployable in the NBA.

-Jason "no way he gets voted GM of the year either -- despite Atlanta's success. The perception is that Bud is the cause of the success, not Danny's GMing" Evans

heyman25
02-17-2015, 07:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12339721/former-mayor-andrew-young-says-let-general-manager-danny-ferry-rejoin-atlanta-hawks

Edouble
02-17-2015, 07:52 PM
-Jason "no way he gets voted GM of the year either -- despite Atlanta's success. The perception is that Bud is the cause of the success, not Danny's GMing" Evans

Perception among my group of Cabbagetown/Inman Park/EAV Atlantans is that Ferry caused the success. Also, Ferry gets tons of credit from callers on 92.9.

We are in a large metropolis, with many opinions. I think it's unfair to say that there's a consensus that Bud caused the success. Ferry moved some unmovable pieces. There are many, many people that are giving him credit for the team's success this season.

Troublemaker
02-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Perception among my group of Cabbagetown/Inman Park/EAV Atlantans is that Ferry caused the success. Also, Ferry gets tons of credit from callers on 92.9.

We are in a large metropolis, with many opinions. I think it's unfair to say that there's a consensus that Bud caused the success. Ferry moved some unmovable pieces. There are many, many people that are giving him credit for the team's success this season.

Yeah, it's both. You can't have the level of success that the Hawks have had so far without good coaching AND good personnel moves. The league's too smart, too competitive.

heyman25
02-18-2015, 01:12 PM
More from Andrew Young and Magic Johnson.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25072440/former-atlanta-mayor-on-if-danny-ferry-should-lose-his-job-hell-no

SkyBrickey
02-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Also in Atlanta. I wouldn't assume that Ferry gets fired with new ownership. I think it's 50/50. He deserves a LOT of credit for what's happening with the team. Smart basketball people recognize that

The best argument against him coming back is that he won't be able to attract top African American talent to the team, but many, many African Americans have come out and said "Danny is not a racist." As a Hawks fan and Duke fan, I'm very much hoping he is in Atlanta for a long time.

heyman25
04-13-2015, 01:50 PM
More credit to Danny Ferry.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12675667/mike-budenholzer-atlanta-hawks-coach-credits-absent-gm-danny-ferry-team-success