PDA

View Full Version : The Key to Greatness

richardjackson199
01-17-2015, 12:04 AM
Tyus Jones is the key to the return to greatness and getting to championship contender level. The key to excelling in March Madness is superb guard play. Tyus Jones has the IT that we need. When he is running the show, he makes brilliant decisions and plays. He is one of those rare point guards who sees incredible plays before they develop. He is a 15 assist - 0 Turnover gamer. When nothing else is working, he can break down a defense and orchestate something beautiful. He keeps everybody involved, but is clutch and can take over when needed. I think he looks lost right now because he is deferring too much to Cook to run the show. Don't get me wrong - I love Cook's leadership, and he is also a key. But Cook helps us more from that 2 guard Triple Threat (Can Shoot, Drive, or Pass brilliantly) position with Tyus running the show on offense from the top of the key. Sulaimon is the perfect 6th man - dynamite energy boost off the bench. Keep Winslow at the 3 against teams with good, large bigs inside. Moving him to 4 (like against NC State) gets him in foul trouble. Keep Jefferson at 4 - rebounding, defense - what an amazing role player. Our center is understood (with MP3 spelling Jah). Those should be our 6 core guys. Sulaimon is better on defense, Cook on offense, but both are outstanding leaders who need to lead by playing off of Tyus. Just let Tyus do what he does and we'll be fine. There is a place for Matt Jones in the regular rotation off the bench too. Defense, energy, and some timely scoring when he gets a good match up (or gets hot - he's streaky).

I love Grayson's shooting touch, passion, and athleticism. His defense and decision-making need to improve a little more to earn quality minutes this year. But I do think trying to get him some good minutes when the timing is right (if we're up big, end of first half, etc.) is worthwhile for the overall morale and chemistry of the team. He is good enough to deserve some opportunities. He is a crowd favorite for good reason, and he's going to be a good one.

But the key is Tyus. Quinn needs to hand him the keys, and focus on being ready to play off of him. And the other pieces are all there for great chemistry: 3, 4, and 5 positions easy. (The vice versa with Tyus trying to play off Quinn running the show isn't working so well). It's like 2001 - Duhon the decision maker at 1 and J-Will the 2. (Obviously trusting K's genius is also a given. Momma bear is mad, and I have a feeling the rest of this season will be fun to watch.) Just this 2 cent fan opinion.

MCFinARL
01-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Tyus Jones is the key to the return to greatness and getting to championship contender level. The key to excelling in March Madness is superb guard play. Tyus Jones has the IT that we need. When he is running the show, he makes brilliant decisions and plays. He is one of those rare point guards who sees incredible plays before they develop. He is a 15 assist - 0 Turnover gamer. When nothing else is working, he can break down a defense and orchestate something beautiful. He keeps everybody involved, but is clutch and can take over when needed. I think he looks lost right now because he is deferring too much to Cook to run the show. Don't get me wrong - I love Cook's leadership, and he is also a key. But Cook helps us more from that 2 guard Triple Threat (Can Shoot, Drive, or Pass brilliantly) position with Tyus running the show on offense from the top of the key. Sulaimon is the perfect 6th man - dynamite energy boost off the bench. Keep Winslow at the 3 against teams with good, large bigs inside. Moving him to 4 (like against NC State) gets him in foul trouble. Keep Jefferson at 4 - rebounding, defense - what an amazing role player. Our center is understood (with MP3 spelling Jah). Those should be our 6 core guys. Sulaimon is better on defense, Cook on offense, but both are outstanding leaders who need to lead by playing off of Tyus. Just let Tyus do what he does and we'll be fine. There is a place for Matt Jones in the regular rotation off the bench too. Defense, energy, and some timely scoring when he gets a good match up (or gets hot - he's streaky).

I love Grayson's shooting touch, passion, and athleticism. His defense and decision-making need to improve a little more to earn quality minutes this year. But I do think trying to get him some good minutes when the timing is right (if we're up big, end of first half, etc.) is worthwhile for the overall morale and chemistry of the team. He is good enough to deserve some opportunities. He is a crowd favorite for good reason, and he's going to be a good one.

But the key is Tyus. Quinn needs to hand him the keys, and focus on being ready to play off of him. And the other pieces are all there for great chemistry: 3, 4, and 5 positions easy. (The vice versa with Tyus trying to play off Quinn running the show isn't working so well). It's like 2001 - Duhon the decision maker at 1 and J-Will the 2. (Obviously trusting K's genius is also a given. Momma bear is mad, and I have a feeling the rest of this season will be fun to watch.) Just this 2 cent fan opinion.

This may be a chicken egg issue, but I think it is as likely that Quinn is doing more of the PG work because Tyus has been a little lost lately as that Tyus is lost because he is deferring to Quinn. It seems unlikely that, given how well things were going with Tyus in charge, Coach K would suddenly allow or encourage Quinn to re-assume the PG duties; if he observed Tyus deferring to Quinn I think he might have something to say about it. For whatever reason, Tyus's passing has been less crisp lately, his ball handling less skilled, his decision making less impressive. Hopefully it is just some temporary form of the wall, or perhaps lingering effects of an illness, and the ship will be righted soon.

jv001
01-17-2015, 11:36 AM
This may be a chicken egg issue, but I think it is as likely that Quinn is doing more of the PG work because Tyus has been a little lost lately as that Tyus is lost because he is deferring to Quinn. It seems unlikely that, given how well things were going with Tyus in charge, Coach K would suddenly allow or encourage Quinn to re-assume the PG duties; if he observed Tyus deferring to Quinn I think he might have something to say about it. For whatever reason, Tyus's passing has been less crisp lately, his ball handling less skilled, his decision making less impressive. Hopefully it is just some temporary form of the wall, or perhaps lingering effects of an illness, and the ship will be righted soon.

It seems to me that the times Quinn is running the point is the times Coach K has Tyus on the bench. I know that Rasheed runs the point as well when Tyus goes to the bench. But my eye test tells me the team is best offensively when Tyus is running the offense and Quinn plays the 2 guard spot. Quinn is our most effective three point shooter and get's great looks when Tyus and Jahlil are playing two man basketball. That's as long as Jahlil doesn't stop the ball rotation with too much dribbling. Like you say, Coach K has certainly noticed all these things and it's unlikely he's asked Tyus to defer to Quinn. Another concern for today is Dickey V is doing the game. Thank God for the mute button. GoDuke!

MCFinARL
01-17-2015, 02:14 PM
It seems to me that the times Quinn is running the point is the times Coach K has Tyus on the bench. I know that Rasheed runs the point as well when Tyus goes to the bench. But my eye test tells me the team is best offensively when Tyus is running the offense and Quinn plays the 2 guard spot. Quinn is our most effective three point shooter and get's great looks when Tyus and Jahlil are playing two man basketball. That's as long as Jahlil doesn't stop the ball rotation with too much dribbling. Like you say, Coach K has certainly noticed all these things and it's unlikely he's asked Tyus to defer to Quinn. Another concern for today is Dickey V is doing the game. Thank God for the mute button. GoDuke!

I agree that the team runs best when Tyus runs it--and happily, he didn't look lost at all today. Welcome back, Tyus.

weezie
01-17-2015, 03:27 PM
The key to greatness is K.

See what I did there?! :)