PDA

View Full Version : Rivers Reunion- Austin to play for Doc

JasonEvans
01-14-2015, 12:57 PM
According to SI, the Celtics are going to trade Austin (http://www.si.com/nba/2015/01/14/boston-celtics-trade-austin-rivers-los-angeles-rivers-doc-rivers) to the Clippers. I'mnot sure where he would fit on the Clips depth chart. He really hasn't shown himself to be a PG and between JJ and Jamal Crawford, the Clips are pretty loaded at SG. But, I'm sure daddy will find a way to get some minutes and opportunities for his son.

-Jason "Celtics getting a late 2nd rounder for Austin says that he pretty much had near-zero trade value" Evans

SupaDave
01-14-2015, 01:02 PM
According to SI, the Celtics are going to trade Austin (http://www.si.com/nba/2015/01/14/boston-celtics-trade-austin-rivers-los-angeles-rivers-doc-rivers) to the Clippers. I'mnot sure where he would fit on the Clips depth chart. He really hasn't shown himself to be a PG and between JJ and Jamal Crawford, the Clips are pretty loaded at SG. But, I'm sure daddy will find a way to get some minutes and opportunities for his son.

-Jason "Celtics getting a late 2nd rounder for Austin says that he pretty much had near-zero trade value" Evans

Better than being released!!! He'll be insurance on the bench for a while I suppose.

subzero02
01-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Trade Crawford and or JJ...

flyingdutchdevil
01-14-2015, 02:26 PM

JJ is averaging 15 points a game and is seen as the best "first quarter" player on this team. His 3pt shooting helps out Blake and CP3 to do their thing. Trading JJ wouldn't be a huge mistake. JJ also provides stability at this position and is a decent off-ball defender, one of the better SG passers, and a mistake-free player (1.0 TPG for his career).

Crawford is the uber 6th man, averaging 15.5 points per game with a PER 17.71. He provides so much scoring punch for this Clippers team.

The Clips only have Jordan Farmer at the 1, and I'm sure Rivers will position his son to play at the 1. Also, if Rivers is going to listen to anyone, it will be his dad.

I hope Austin succeeds; this may be his last chance to show off his skills in the NBA.

BD80
01-14-2015, 03:34 PM
According to SI, the Celtics are going to trade Austin (http://www.si.com/nba/2015/01/14/boston-celtics-trade-austin-rivers-los-angeles-rivers-doc-rivers) to the Clippers. ...

The Clippers Doc(k) at Rivers confluence.

jv001
01-14-2015, 03:51 PM

I take it you're not a Clipper fan, :cool: I like JJ right where he is. He's with one of the best point guards in the NBA and plays with a super power forward. GoDuke!

DevilWearsPrada
01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
I take it you're not a Clipper fan, :cool: I like JJ right where he is. He's with one of the best point guards in the NBA and plays with a super power forward. GoDuke!

JJ has been very successful with the LA Clippers.

The best to Austin...... Doc is a great Coach!!!!!

MartyClark
01-14-2015, 08:36 PM

This seems like a serious mistake. Austin is a marginal NBA player. Doc needs to have a clear, objective view of who gets minutes that is unclouded by father-son relationships. I don't see how Austin helps the Clippers.

CDu
01-14-2015, 09:42 PM
This seems like a serious mistake. Austin is a marginal NBA player. Doc needs to have a clear, objective view of who gets minutes that is unclouded by father-son relationships. I don't see how Austin helps the Clippers.

The only way this works is if the Clippers view Rivers as an eventual replacement for Crawford and just stash him on the bench or in the D League. Otherwise, it is a dangerous game they are playing. Either way, I can't see Rivers being of any value on the court right now for the Clips. So I have to believe this a long-term project acquisition.

subzero02
01-15-2015, 03:11 AM

I was joking... I agree with the viewpoint given in the thread's first post. Austin will be firmly behind 2 high quality 2 guards and hasn't shown much as a point guard. It will be interesting to see what Doc's plans are for Austin in terms of position and playing time.

johnb
01-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Most 2nd rounders never play in the NBA, so the trade is no big cost. Austin was never a fan favorite at Duke and was overrated coming into the draft. His own father will, however, be motivated to help him develop into a player. Maybe d league, maybe just coaching oversight while he backs up better players. Either way, he'll get first-rate coaching and a chance to mature a bit before falling permanently into the "bust" category. And if he can turn it around, then win-win all around.

Turk
01-15-2015, 10:46 AM
One of the Grantland writers came up with a few different scenarios on how this can play out, based on Austin's current metrics as someone who can get to the rim well, but is not good at finishing, and not that good of an outside shooter.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/doc-rivers-austin-rivers-clippers-trade-bad-idea/

Personally, I'm not sure playing for your dad in the pros is a good idea, no matter how much Doc seems like a standup guy.

sagegrouse
01-15-2015, 10:52 AM
One of the Grantland writers came up with a few different scenarios on how this can play out, based on Austin's current metrics as someone who can get to the rim well, but is not good at finishing, and not that good of an outside shooter.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/doc-rivers-austin-rivers-clippers-trade-bad-idea/

Personally, I'm not sure playing for your dad in the pros is a good idea, no matter how much Doc seems like a standup guy.

Awwwww!!! Austin has been out of control for years, and Doc is happy to have some leverage at last. For example, he committed to Florida early and prematurely; he dragged out his subsequent courtship with Duke; he bolted for the NBA when his Dad and many others didn't think he was ready (and he wasn't). We'll leave out some of the personal issues that we have only had glimpses of.

DukieInBrasil
01-15-2015, 06:23 PM
I was joking... I agree with the viewpoint given in the thread's first post. Austin will be firmly behind 2 high quality 2 guards and hasn't shown much as a point guard. It will be interesting to see what Doc's plans are for Austin in terms of position and playing time.

He may not seem like a traditional PG but his a:to this year is quite impressive.

SoCalDukeFan
01-15-2015, 06:50 PM
I think is mostly backup point guard and insurance if one the shooting guards get injured.

He is called a "downhill guard." Not sure what they is.

SoCal

SupaDave
01-15-2015, 07:10 PM
I think is mostly backup point guard and insurance if one the shooting guards get injured.

He is called a "downhill guard." Not sure what that is.

SoCal

It means that he has little half-court offense appeal and is at his best when the offense is in transition. Which is true.

BD80
01-15-2015, 09:26 PM

How's this for an assessment?

I'm not even as down on Austin Rivers as others. ... His instincts are good. His skills are not. He can be a useful third or fourth guard for a team.

But there's no way to argue Rivers is a good NBA player, and it is very easy to argue he is a completely terrible player at this level. He's not competent in a specific role, he lacks significant upside, and in general, he's been a massive disappointment.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24964371/the-big-picture-view-of-the-doc-rivers-era-as-clippers-president-is-a-bit-fuzzy

What would he say if he WAS as down on Austin others?

JasonEvans
01-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Here is a decent little article (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2015/01/17/doc-rivers-austin-rivers-los-angeles-clippers/21911187/) from USA Today on the questions the family when Doc began to consider bringing in his son.

"The first thing I did was call my mom (as they discussed the idea)," Austin said. "She's the one that got to deal with this, and she was a wreck the first night. She was calling me, (saying) 'Like what if this happens?' I was like, 'Mom, it's not on anybody but me and (Doc). At the end of the day, my job is to play and compete, and that's it.'

-Jason "through 2 games (27 mins of playing time), Austin has 1 point on 0-7 shooting with 2 assists and 1 turnover -- not great" Evans