PDA

View Full Version : The Appalachian Trail

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Anyone here ever Thru Hike, or do the Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome portion of the trail. In starting the planning process now and just wanted to see if anyone on DBR had any experience. I don't think I will make this season but I am shooting for next season for a thru Hike between when I switch Careers and move back to NC. I figure I will get dropped off at Springer Mountain and hike my way to Clingmans dome where I can then decide if I want to get picked up or go all the way to Maine.

Atldukie79
01-13-2015, 05:47 PM
I have never thru hiked the AT. But I have hiked 90% of the trail between Springer and Clingmans at different times.

I share your passion for thru hiking, however, that ship has sailed for me (2 knee surgeries :( )

There are countless resources online and many books that provide the information you might want.
With 20 years of leading boy scout backpacking treks on the southern segment, and several long solos of my own I do have some experience.

I will say planning for a Springer to Clingmans is a very different thing than a thru hike.
I do recommend several long (at least a week) backpacking trips prior to the actual hike. You may be able to resolve ahead of time whether a thru hike or a segment hike is for you. You should "know" a thru hike is for you and plan on it. In any case, if you decide on the segment....trust me....that is a delight and potentially a lifetime experience of its own.

I have "rescued" more than a few hikers just 7 miles into their 2000+ mile AT trek and taken them back to Atlanta to go home.
So please do prepare and practice!

Send me a private message if you wan to discuss further.

lotusland
01-13-2015, 08:00 PM
If you see former Governor Sanford out there please please give 'em a HURRUMPH for me:D

hurleyfor3
01-13-2015, 08:13 PM
http://www.whiteblaze.net/

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-14-2015, 07:13 AM
I have never thru hiked the AT. But I have hiked 90% of the trail between Springer and Clingmans at different times.

I share your passion for thru hiking, however, that ship has sailed for me (2 knee surgeries :( )

There are countless resources online and many books that provide the information you might want.
With 20 years of leading boy scout backpacking treks on the southern segment, and several long solos of my own I do have some experience.

I will say planning for a Springer to Clingmans is a very different thing than a thru hike.
I do recommend several long (at least a week) backpacking trips prior to the actual hike. You may be able to resolve ahead of time whether a thru hike or a segment hike is for you. You should "know" a thru hike is for you and plan on it. In any case, if you decide on the segment....trust me....that is a delight and potentially a lifetime experience of its own.

I have "rescued" more than a few hikers just 7 miles into their 2000+ mile AT trek and taken them back to Atlanta to go home.
So please do prepare and practice!

Send me a private message if you wan to discuss further.

Yea after some research I realize making up my mind on a Thru Hike at clingmans dome wont work. I will need mail drops and money and much more planning. So I think I am just going to do a Springer to the Dome Hike, which will be a good enough accomplishment for me for now. Then later in life perhaps I will go for the Thru Hike.

I am starting in April with the Ocean to Lake hike in Florida, its 62 miles from Lake Okeechobee to Hobe Sound inlet beach. It should take 4 or 5 days and be a pretty good test. The terrain will be different than the AT obviously but it will be a good gear break in. There is also the greater Florida trail which is 1800 miles that I will do 3 day sections on. So I should be fairly seasoned in Hiking by the time I start my AT Trek, I just wont be seasoned on the proper terrain. Good news is I will know how water proof all my gear is by the time I start the AT :cool:

DUKIECB
01-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Kudos on wanting to hike the AT. I have never thru hiked but I am chipping away at section hiking the entire trail. I'm at 821 miles finished so far with plans to do around 250 more this year. I will actually be hiking from Neels Gap (30 miles north of Springer) to the NOC in Wesser starting Memorial Day weekend, 105 miles. Someone already posted the link to whiteblaze.net which has an unbelievable amount of information to digest. Start there and take the things you think will work for you and throw away the rest. One thing you will find is there are about 100 different opinions on almost every topic imaginable. My only advice is do what works for you. Hike your own hike. You will have a blast. Most people either love backpacking or hate it. There isn't much in between. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll help you any way I can.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-15-2015, 08:02 AM
Kudos on wanting to hike the AT. I have never thru hiked but I am chipping away at section hiking the entire trail. I'm at 821 miles finished so far with plans to do around 250 more this year. I will actually be hiking from Neels Gap (30 miles north of Springer) to the NOC in Wesser starting Memorial Day weekend, 105 miles. Someone already posted the link to whiteblaze.net which has an unbelievable amount of information to digest. Start there and take the things you think will work for you and throw away the rest. One thing you will find is there are about 100 different opinions on almost every topic imaginable. My only advice is do what works for you. Hike your own hike. You will have a blast. Most people either love backpacking or hate it. There isn't much in between. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll help you any way I can.

wow that is an impressive feat you have accomplished. I may end up doing it in sections as well depending on how my financials line up. I can't think of a better place to stop than NOC. I love that place, my parents have a home down the road on Highway 28 heading towards Franklin. The Rivers End restaurant is really good and the Nantahala brewery blonde ale is really good, if I am getting the name correct. I was originally going to stop at NOC and have my parents pick me up, but then decided going to the highest point at Clingman's Dome would be more Epic.

Turk
01-15-2015, 06:43 PM
How wonderful; good luck on your preparations, AFDukie. Thru-hiking the AT was (and still is) on my bucket list, but I suspect my thru-hiking window is closed and may have to settle for section-hiking it instead. One of my young Turks is in scouting, so the troop did a few sections of the AT in Pennsylvania (motto: "where ankles go to die") in preparation for a Philmont, NM trek last summer (90+ miles over 10 days). We did cross paths with a few thru-hikers, and traded war stories if we were taking a break near one of the trail shelters. It seems obvious that the longer you plan to hike, the more fanatical you need to be about pack weight, but IMHO sawing the toothbrush in half to save .25 ounces is well past the point of diminishing returns. Also, there are some things you can't un-see. Near Lehigh Gap, we were taking a 2-minute water break (wild blueberries!) when some character with a full pack blew through the trail at race-walking speed. The only thing he was wearing was boots and three bandannas: one around his head, and the other two tied around his waist loincloth style. For the rest of the summer, whenever one of the kids saw an abandoned bandanna, or thought one of theirs went missing, the running joke was "looks like Naked Guy came through here again."

I agree with DukieCB; everyone has their opinion, so you have to hit a good sample of online blog and hiker sites, make up your own mind, and prove it out with some trial and error. There are too many variables, so one size does NOT fit all. The external variables of cost, climate, terrain, and logistics are obvious, but our internal personal and emotional variables are just as important and more unpredictable. For example, for me foot powder was not just first aid to prevent blisters or keep feet dry; it was as essential to starting my day off right as breakfast, even if our day was a short easy hike over dry ground. One of the other parents carried a folding camp chair, and said its 1 lb. weight was a trivial price to pay in return for the benefit he got of looking forward to sitting down in it for supper at the end of the day's hike. Your mileage will definitely vary, but the journey is well worth it. Please do keep us posted.

-jk
01-15-2015, 08:58 PM
How wonderful; good luck on your preparations, AFDukie. Thru-hiking the AT was (and still is) on my bucket list, but I suspect my thru-hiking window is closed and may have to settle for section-hiking it instead. One of my young Turks is in scouting, so the troop did a few sections of the AT in Pennsylvania (motto: "where ankles go to die") in preparation for a Philmont, NM trek last summer (90+ miles over 10 days). We did cross paths with a few thru-hikers, and traded war stories if we were taking a break near one of the trail shelters. It seems obvious that the longer you plan to hike, the more fanatical you need to be about pack weight, but IMHO sawing the toothbrush in half to save .25 ounces is well past the point of diminishing returns. Also, there are some things you can't un-see. Near Lehigh Gap, we were taking a 2-minute water break (wild blueberries!) when some character with a full pack blew through the trail at race-walking speed. The only thing he was wearing was boots and three bandannas: one around his head, and the other two tied around his waist loincloth style. For the rest of the summer, whenever one of the kids saw an abandoned bandanna, or thought one of theirs went missing, the running joke was "looks like Naked Guy came through here again."

I agree with DukieCB; everyone has their opinion, so you have to hit a good sample of online blog and hiker sites, make up your own mind, and prove it out with some trial and error. There are too many variables, so one size does NOT fit all. The external variables of cost, climate, terrain, and logistics are obvious, but our internal personal and emotional variables are just as important and more unpredictable. For example, for me foot powder was not just first aid to prevent blisters or keep feet dry; it was as essential to starting my day off right as breakfast, even if our day was a short easy hike over dry ground. One of the other parents carried a folding camp chair, and said its 1 lb. weight was a trivial price to pay in return for the benefit he got of looking forward to sitting down in it for supper at the end of the day's hike. Your mileage will definitely vary, but the journey is well worth it. Please do keep us posted.

Nice review! But foot powder? I have great ankles and horrible knees. I generally hike in the lowest cut foot-gear I can find; ankle support = knee torque = ouch! Currently, I use a pair of Chacos...

-jk

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Turk, I hear that Gold Bond powder is an essential trail item. From the hiking I've done I agree that I will sacrifice some weight for the usefulness of it. Helps to prevent chafing, protects the feet, and can help with rashes and itches. Its going in my pack for sure, may even consider it to be a first aid item. No chair for me, the weight just isn't worth it, plus most shelters have picnic tables or I can find a nice tree somewhere. More than likely ill just eat and pass out though. Also no need to saw my tooth brush in half Zpacks has this: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/toothbrush.shtml

I am going to be pretty strict about weight though, since I am going to be bringing a GoPro with a chest and head mount and possibly the extension to document the journey. This is more for the ladies so they can see how hunky I look in a backpack all unwashed and non groomed. Chicks dig cavemen!!! (I think)

wavedukefan70s
01-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Believe it or not .rubbing Vicks vapor rub on your feet before you rack out for the night. will take some of the soreness out of your feet.

Dukehky
01-23-2015, 01:27 AM
If and when you see naked sunbathers on the trail (of whatever gender you prefer), remember, it's impolite to stare. Stop, take a sip from your water bottle while simultaneously taking a series of glances, then go on about your way.

budwom
01-23-2015, 09:58 AM
If any of you happen to stagger thru Vermont on the AT, let me know and I'll greet you with a few Heady Toppers which will alleviate foot pain better than foot powder or Vick's...

hurleyfor3
01-23-2015, 04:29 PM
If and when you see naked sunbathers on the trail (of whatever gender you prefer), remember, it's impolite to stare.

Naked Hiking Day is in fact a thing. It's June 21. I'm usually the other way though, with as much of me covered as possible.

Turk
01-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Believe it or not .rubbing Vicks vapor rub on your feet before you rack out for the night. will take some of the soreness out of your feet.

That's new; never heard of that one before. I used baby wipes for my end-of-day foot routine. Another good lightweight personal hygiene option...

If and when you see naked sunbathers on the trail (of whatever gender you prefer), remember, it's impolite to stare. Stop, take a sip from your water bottle while simultaneously taking a series of glances, then go on about your way.

Yeah, except a dozen scouts make as much racket as a Green Day concert or whomever the kids are listening to these days. No need for whistles or bells or any of those recommended 'don't surprise the animals' noisemakers. Our crew pretty much cleared out all the wildlife (human or otherwise) a good half hour before we came through. As an added bonus, the kids were excellent at clearing camp and getting a nice early-morning start, so despite our shushing, we often went down the trail like fire trucks with full sirens blaring at zero-dark-thirty...

Naked Hiking Day is in fact a thing. It's June 21. I'm usually the other way though, with as much of me covered as possible.

Hah! I just pinged one the other adults who witnessed our Naked Guy episode. It was close to solstice time plus/minus a weekend. Although I think our dude was one-quarter Sasquatch, or maybe a "hairy-handed gent who ran amok in Kent"...

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Just got my Z-Packs backpack ordered with all the fixings, well some of the fixings. A bit pricey but one could argue that other than your footwear its the most important item you take on your hike.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Just got my Z-Packs backpack ordered with all the fixings, well some of the fixings. A bit pricey but one could argue that other than your footwear its the most important item you take on your hike.

Your instincts are good.

I run a camping store here in Asheville and I have outfitted many a through-hiker. I've not had the pleasure/pain of doing it myself, but many of my coworkers have done impressive sections and one of my former employees has done the rare "Triple Crown" - AT, PCT, CDT.

Would be happy to serve as a resource and/or buy you a beer on the NC end of the trip. Feel free to drop me a note.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Your instincts are good.

I run a camping store here in Asheville and I have outfitted many a through-hiker. I've not had the pleasure/pain of doing it myself, but many of my coworkers have done impressive sections and one of my former employees has done the rare "Triple Crown" - AT, PCT, CDT.

Would be happy to serve as a resource and/or buy you a beer on the NC end of the trip. Feel free to drop me a note.

Thanks, I've been considering a move to Asheville once my journey is over. I only worry about the availability of attractive, 25-35 year old single women in the area. Especially compared to where I am now, but that is thinking way too far ahead. And I will be sure to drop you a line when a gear experts opinion is needed. Oh and a beer wont hurt either. :D

-jk
01-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Your instincts are good.

I spent a lot of time - and money - at Diamond Brand in Fletcher (I think that's where they were in the day, albeit days long ago). What are the other outfitters of note in Asheville these days? And can you recommend any really good mountain bike shops next time I bring my bike that way?

-jk

hurleyfor3
01-28-2015, 07:23 PM
I spent a lot of time - and money - at Diamond Brand in Fletcher (I think that's where they were in the day, albeit days long ago). What are the other outfitters of note in Asheville these days? And can you recommend any really good mountain bike shops next time I bring my bike that way?

There's an REI now, off I-26 a few exits south of town.