PDA

View Full Version : The significance of turnovers

UrinalCake
01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
I've watched just about every game this season, and had an intuitive feel that our turnovers have increased recently. The team hasn't been playing well since the Wisconsin game IMO - we had a tight game against a weak UConn, closer-than-they-should-have-been games against Toledo and Wofford, a near loss against Wake, and of course the State loss.

So I ran the numbers and sure enough, in our first eight games (through Wisconsin) we averaged 9.4 turnovers. In the seven games since then we've averaged 13.1. I don't think our strength of schedule has been harder in the latter section, and may have actually been easier (though I don't have the KenPom or RPI numbers to prove it). We had 17 against Elon, 19 against Uconn, and were only credited with 10 against State though I for the life of me cannot figure out how Rasheed was only credited with 2. I guess driving into three defenders and getting stuffed, leading to a dunk on the other end doesn't technically count as a TO but obviously it is just as bad. Tyus had been so sure-handed early on, but lately he's had a few cases of throwing the ball away or trying to force passes when they're not there.

Anyone have a theory as to the cause of our turnovers? I haven't seen any change in offensive play calling, or in tempo. We played the bench more early on, but I would think that would have caused more turnovers rather than fewer. And most importantly, how do we reverse this trend and get back to protecting the ball?

-jk
01-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Did you correlate to TO strength of opponent? And where's the graph? (C'mon - we have expectations here. Thanks, Kedsy)

-jk

captmojo
01-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Lack of focus, is the only thing that comes to mind. The biggest part of that is, each player having a plan when they have the ball.

You can't score unless you possess the ball. Unless, of course, Tyler Zeller is on the other side. :rolleyes:

jv001
01-13-2015, 01:07 PM
I've watched just about every game this season, and had an intuitive feel that our turnovers have increased recently. The team hasn't been playing well since the Wisconsin game IMO - we had a tight game against a weak UConn, closer-than-they-should-have-been games against Toledo and Wofford, a near loss against Wake, and of course the State loss.

So I ran the numbers and sure enough, in our first eight games (through Wisconsin) we averaged 9.4 turnovers. In the seven games since then we've averaged 13.1. I don't think our strength of schedule has been harder in the latter section, and may have actually been easier (though I don't have the KenPom or RPI numbers to prove it). We had 17 against Elon, 19 against Uconn, and were only credited with 10 against State though I for the life of me cannot figure out how Rasheed was only credited with 2. I guess driving into three defenders and getting stuffed, leading to a dunk on the other end doesn't technically count as a TO but obviously it is just as bad. Tyus had been so sure-handed early on, but lately he's had a few cases of throwing the ball away or trying to force passes when they're not there.

Anyone have a theory as to the cause of our turnovers? I haven't seen any change in offensive play calling, or in tempo. We played the bench more early on, but I would think that would have caused more turnovers rather than fewer. And most importantly, how do we reverse this trend and get back to protecting the ball?

You can put Matt Jones in the group that get's stuffed at the rim and off to the races goes X University. Plus his 3 point shooting has caused some break outs as well. I'm glad these two players can better than average defense. GoDuke!

UrinalCake
01-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Another 15 turnovers last night, many of them unforced. We hit 29 shots, which means we are half as likely to turn the ball over as we are to make a basket. The problems on this team are numerous, but you sure as heck can't win if you don't have the ball. And I think the 21 points they scored off of turnovers really skew our defensive numbers; would love to see some quantitative analysis of our half-court defense alone because I suspect it's not nearly as bad as we think.