PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Miami (1/13/15 9 pm ESPN2) Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Next play! Discuss the Miami game here.

flyingdutchdevil
01-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Another team that is overly reliant on guard play for its offense. Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan are a handful at the 1 and 3, respectively. I want to see Tyus/Cook and Winslow (I assume we're starting Winslow at the 3 this time instead of M Jones) just crush it on defense.

Rodriguez is an okay 3pt shooter at 36% but is lightning quick. He's the kind of guard that can easily give Tyus/Cook some issues.

McClellan is a Texas transfer who somehow found a 3pt shoot at Miami and has decent size and mobility. He doesn't shoot a lot but is an efficient scorer.

I'm be looking for what our D does, especially against these two players.

Fortunately, we're in this lovely place called Cameron Indoor Stadium. Let's hope the Crazies are ready.

cptnflash
01-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Obviously we are going to win this game easily. As such, it won't tell us much. The real test is the 5 games that follow (more specifically, the 4 road games). Anything between 5-0 and 2-3 is possible, and that stretch will go a long way toward determining whether we have a chance in the ACC this year.

jv001
01-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Obviously we are going to win this game easily. As such, it won't tell us much. The real test is the 5 games that follow (more specifically, the 4 road games). Anything between 5-0 and 2-3 is possible, and that stretch will go a long way toward determining whether we have a chance in the ACC this year.

Yeh, that's what some said before we played State. Some really good posters here thought we would win going away. Cdu said we'd win easily, Dukehky said Duke would win handily and uh no said NC State had been resting for 2 decades. Just like the jinx thread, I hate to say we'll win by a lot. So, I'm looking for a close game against Miami. GoDuke!

MCFinARL
01-12-2015, 05:53 PM

Weauf gods alert! "Obviously" we are going to win this game easily? I don't think that is obvious at all. While Miami has been erratic this year, they are a very well coached team, and they took UVA to double overtime just a week ago. While I would agree it's likely we will win this game, especially playing in Cameron, it's not a certainty, and coming only two days after NCState, it may well not be easy.

Edit--jv001 beat me to the post.

cptnflash
01-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Weauf gods alert! "Obviously" we are going to win this game easily? I don't think that is obvious at all. While Miami has been erratic this year, they are a very well coached team, and they took UVA to double overtime just a week ago. While I would agree it's likely we will win this game, especially playing in Cameron, it's not a certainty, and coming only two days after NCState, it may well not be easy.

It's a certainty. I will be disappointed if we win by less than 20, and stunned if we win by less than 10. Book it.

cptnflash
01-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Yeh, that's what some said before we played State. Some really good posters here thought we would win going away. Cdu said we'd win easily, Dukehky said Duke would win handily and uh no said NC State had been resting for 2 decades. Just like the jinx thread, I hate to say we'll win by a lot. So, I'm looking for a close game against Miami. GoDuke!

That's not what I said before we played State (for the record, I didn't say anything).

cptnflash
01-12-2015, 05:57 PM

Edit--jv001 beat me to the post.

P.S. There are no weauf gods. This game is already over. Trust me.

MCFinARL
01-12-2015, 06:04 PM
P.S. There are no weauf gods. Only people who misunderstand probabilities. This game is already over. Trust me.

That's what Thomas Dewey said, I think. And no weauf gods? Say what? But there is a tooth fairy, right?

lotusland
01-12-2015, 06:11 PM
It's a certainty. I will be disappointed if we win by less than 20, and stunned if we win by less than 10. Book it.

Captain Flash are you a super hero? Is bookmaking your super power?

cptnflash
01-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Captain Flash are you a super hero? Is bookmaking your super power?

Ha! I'm the opposite of super hero when it comes to basketball prognostication. I bought tickets to the World Cup final a few days before Spain lost to France, and I bought tickets to our game against Syracuse on Feb 28th a few hours before we lost to NC State on Sunday. Suffice it to say that the market value of the tickets I bought did not increase in either of those cases!

But as it pertains to our game against Miami tomorrow night, even a dolt like me can see the obvious... we will win easily.

Duvall
01-12-2015, 07:15 PM
But as it pertains to our game against Miami tomorrow night, even a dolt like me can see the obvious... we will win easily.

Well, maybe. Miami has less talent than NC State, but a much better coach. We shall see soon enough.

Levon
01-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Would be a mistake to sleep on Miami. Sure, Duke has more talent, but talent doesn't always win. Miami erased an 18 point deficit against UVA quickly, losing on free throws essentially.

Larranaga is a first-rate coach. I expect Jekiri and Sherman will be the double-team on Jahlil, following the blueprint that worked well for NC State and Wake. Rodriguez and McClellan will also start, probably also Thomas, with Lecomte seeing significant minutes off the bench.

That said, at home, Duke should be a double digit favorite.

moonpie23
01-12-2015, 11:39 PM
mercer, lehigh, state, ..

please don't EVER say, "obviously we are going to win"

mgtr
01-13-2015, 09:14 AM
It's a certainty. I will be disappointed if we win by less than 20, and stunned if we win by less than 10. Book it. And if we lose? What, self immolation? After the last two games I wouldn't issue guarantees against anybody. Fortunately, as others have said, we will figure it out. Go Duke!

UrinalCake
01-13-2015, 09:52 AM
It's been a long time since Duke lost two games in a row during the regular season. Still, nothing is guaranteed obviously. Looking forward to seeing how we defend this lightning fast point guard. Both Tyus and Quinn get beaten of the dribble fairly easily even by mediocre guards. Will we shade a second guard over to provide an extra "half" defender? Will we use the strategy of "cheat to one side and funnel the guard into another defender"? Will we switch on everything like we did against Wisconsin? Will we play zone? Ha! I kill myself sometimes...

Kedsy
01-13-2015, 10:06 AM
It's been a long time since Duke lost two games in a row during the regular season.

February 15, 2009, lost @ BC after losing previous game in Cameron to UNC. It was our 4th loss in a six game stretch after reaching #1 in the polls for the only week that season. The following game, Coach K inserted Elliott Williams into the starting lineup and moved Jon Scheyer to PG and we won 10 of our next 11.

So, yeah, a long time.

English
01-13-2015, 11:49 AM
That said, at home, Duke should be a double digit favorite.

You guessed it. Duke is a 15-pt favorite with an O/U at 141.5. So, we're talking something in the neighborhood of Duke 78 - 63 Miami.

I don't bet on Duke games, nor make guarantees, but a statement win here going away would certainly ease my anxiety a bit going into the Yum! Center on Saturday.

sagegrouse
01-13-2015, 12:05 PM
You guessed it. Duke is a 15-pt favorite with an O/U at 141.5. So, we're talking something in the neighborhood of Duke 78 - 63 Miami.

I don't bet on Duke games, nor make guarantees, but a statement win here going away would certainly ease my anxiety a bit going into the Yum! Center on Saturday.

This is a good test, coming off a bad loss. The Devils were rattled in the PaNiC Center Sunday. While I don't expect a total rebound, I look for the following:

1. More productive involvement in the offense by Tyus.

2. Much better three-point shooting.

3. Better rim protection. I still don't understand how State got four uncontested jams in their half-court offense in the first half. (Someone please enlighten me.)

UrinalCake
01-13-2015, 12:26 PM
3. Better rim protection. I still don't understand how State got four uncontested jams in their half-court offense in the first half. (Someone please enlighten me.)

We would double team their big posting up inside, and they would pass to a wide open guy under the basket. It wasn't an issue of rim protection a much as failing to rotate and, in some cases, double teaming at the wrong time.

On the other end, when they double teamed Oak we simply weren't able to do ANYTHING. Other guys need to move and make themselves available instead of eating popcorn and watching the big man.

Kedsy
01-13-2015, 12:55 PM

We would double team their big posting up inside, and they would pass to a wide open guy under the basket. It wasn't an issue of rim protection a much as failing to rotate and, in some cases, double teaming at the wrong time.

I think UC's description is basically correct for two of the dunks. One of the others was off a screen-and-roll when Jalil and Tyus both went to the ballhandler, leaving Abu uncontested on the roll. The remaining dunk occurred when Marshall joined an attempted trap in the corner and couldn't get back to his man after the trap went awry.

jv001
01-13-2015, 01:00 PM
I think UC's description is basically correct for two of the dunks. One of the others was off a screen-and-roll when Jalil and Tyus both went to the ballhandler, leaving Abu uncontested on the roll. The remaining dunk occurred when Marshall joined an attempted trap in the corner and couldn't get back to his man after the trap went awry.

I saw those defensive lapses when I watched the game again yesterday. There was one instance that Matt failed to switch as well. I don't know if our failure to play defense in the lane was from poor communication or just not reacting quick enough. I do not believe it was lack of effort. GoDuke!

Clay Feet POF
01-13-2015, 01:35 PM

I think there was a Quote "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but Certainty is Absurd" maybe Voltaire.

wavedukefan70s
01-13-2015, 01:47 PM
I am sweating this game.we need to come out to play the whole game.

jv001
01-13-2015, 01:54 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if Coach K goes back to the 15-0 Duke starters or the 0-1 starters in tonight's game. The minutes played in the State and Wake games were pretty equal. The players that had more than 2 minutes difference were Winslow/State 30min., Wake 36min., Jah/State 35min., Wake 31min., Jefferson/State 19min, Wake 22min. Plumlee off the bench had 5 min. in the State game and 7 min. in the Wake game. There have been lots of posts on Matt and Amile's minutes distribution. Mostly from an offensive point of view. Both players play good defense and both players have limitations on offense. Amile is limited to around the basket scoring. Matt has not shot well from the perimeter and lately has had his shot blocked on layups. Amile is a better rebounder and can play good defense on the inside and decent defense on the perimeter. Matt is a very good perimeter defender but not a good inside defender(6'4"). I really don't have an opinion one way or the other on who Coach K starts tonight. He could go back to the old starting lineup or he just might stick with the State starters. He might do the latter just to show that us that lineup works. GoDuke!

Clay Feet POF
01-13-2015, 02:02 PM
February 15, 2009, lost @ BC after losing previous game in Cameron to UNC. It was our 4th loss in a six game stretch after reaching #1 in the polls for the only week that season. The following game, Coach K inserted Elliott Williams into the starting lineup and moved Jon Scheyer to PG and we won 10 of our next 11.

It will be interesting if there are any changes in this starting Lineup.

Kedsy
01-13-2015, 02:02 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if Coach K goes back to the 15-0 Duke starters or the 0-1 starters in tonight's game.

I've been operating under the assumption that Coach K only started Matt for Amile because State starts three guards. Of course, Miami starts three guards, too...

nocilla
01-13-2015, 02:07 PM
I've been operating under the assumption that Coach K only started Matt for Amile because State starts three guards. Of course, Miami starts three guards, too...

Coach K alluded to that in the post-game. He said something like we aren't down on Amile, we were just playing matchups. I don't know how that carries over to the Miami game since, like you said, they start 3 guards as well.

jv001
01-13-2015, 02:09 PM

I think you're correct that's why Coach K started 3 guards. Personally, I liked the way we switched against Wisconsin. Was it a hunch that caused Coach to do that or did he see something on film/tape/dvr that inspired him to play a switch on every play defense against the Badgers? One thing I do know is Coach K is way smarter than me or anyone on this board. Sorry, Jay Bilas and Jay Williams. GoDuke!

Make that 14-0 and not 15-0 start to the season. GoDuke!

slower
01-13-2015, 03:49 PM
As always, some of you people just never learn. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post.

WiJoe
01-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Ha! I'm the opposite of super hero when it comes to basketball prognostication. I bought tickets to the World Cup final a few days before Spain lost to France, and I bought tickets to our game against Syracuse on Feb 28th a few hours before we lost to NC State on Sunday. Suffice it to say that the market value of the tickets I bought did not increase in either of those cases!

I think you're a jive turkey

UrinalCake
01-13-2015, 06:00 PM

But Winslow can defend a guard, so this doesn't make sense to me. And wouldn't they have had a hard time matching up against HIM had we started our usual lineup?

CDu
01-13-2015, 06:08 PM
But Winslow can defend a guard, so this doesn't make sense to me. And wouldn't they have had a hard time matching up against HIM had we started our usual lineup?

Yeah I agree that theory doesn't fly. State's third guard is roughly the same size as Winslow. I think it was more to do with Jefferson not playing great in the past few games, and maybe trying to give the team a spark.

Kedsy
01-13-2015, 06:54 PM
But Winslow can defend a guard, so this doesn't make sense to me.

If Amile's strength is interior defense and Matt's strength is perimeter defense, when you're facing a team with three scoring guards it would make some sense to play your best perimeter defender, wouldn't it?

CDu's theory of "Jefferson not playing great in the past few games" would be stronger if Matt Jones had played any better. But here are the the two players' stats over the previous three games (before the State game):

Amile: 18.0 mpg; 6 ppg; 3.7 rpg; 54% FG% (13 attempts); 57% FT% (7 attempts); 0.3 apg; 1.3 tpg; 0.7 spg; 0 bpg

Matt: 21.3 mpg; 5 ppg; 3.3 rpg; 29% FG% (17 attempts); 100% FT% (2 attempts); 1.0 apg; 0 tpg; 1.0 spg, 0 bpg

No appreciable difference that I can discern. If anything, Amile's stats are slightly better and more efficient in slightly fewer minutes. Certainly there's not enough evidence of Matt playing better to justify abandoning a lineup that had gone unchanged and undefeated over the previous 14 games. So I figure there must be another reason, and the perimeter vs. interior defender thing is the best explanation I can think of.

Wander
01-13-2015, 06:59 PM

Yeah I agree that theory doesn't fly. State's third guard is roughly the same size as Winslow. I think it was more to do with Jefferson not playing great in the past few games, and maybe trying to give the team a spark.

In addition to these two points, starting three guards isn't exactly a rare thing at the college level. I don't remember the lineup of every single one of our opponents but I'm sure NC State isn't the first one with this team makeup (for example, Michigan State starts three guards).

arnie
01-13-2015, 07:20 PM
If Amile's strength is interior defense and Matt's strength is perimeter defense, when you're facing a team with three scoring guards it would make some sense to play your best perimeter defender, wouldn't it?

CDu's theory of "Jefferson not playing great in the past few games" would be stronger if Matt Jones had played any better. But here are the the two players' stats over the previous three games (before the State game):

Amile: 18.0 mpg; 6 ppg; 3.7 rpg; 54% FG% (13 attempts); 57% FT% (7 attempts); 0.3 apg; 1.3 tpg; 0.7 spg; 0 bpg

Matt: 21.3 mpg; 5 ppg; 3.3 rpg; 29% FG% (17 attempts); 100% FT% (2 attempts); 1.0 apg; 0 tpg; 1.0 spg, 0 bpg

No appreciable difference that I can discern. If anything, Amile's stats are slightly better and more efficient in slightly fewer minutes. Certainly there's not enough evidence of Matt playing better to justify abandoning a lineup that had gone unchanged and undefeated over the previous 14 games. So I figure there must be another reason, and the perimeter vs. interior defender thing is the best explanation I can think of.

Could be that defenses pack in when Amile had the ball 10' or more from basket. They guard Matt when he's outside. Maybe K feels it loosens up the inside if Matt in the game - course It hasn't worked out that way.

NSDukeFan
01-13-2015, 07:38 PM

Pretty sure Coach K wants to keep the Amile starting line-up and he didn't know if they would maintain that record at PNC. (;

brevity
01-13-2015, 08:01 PM

I think you're a jive turkey

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey so close to Thanksgiving."

CDu
01-13-2015, 08:18 PM

Except that if your explanation were correct, why would he have waited until a matchup with State and not matchups against the other teams with similarly small and perimeter-oriented lineups? State isn't notewrthily small or perimeter oriented. They have really only two 3pt threats of note.

Also, I think your stats analysis misses the mark in that Coach K has repeatedly praised Jones' defense in recent weeks. So since Jefferson has also been a weak point offensively and was slumping (for him) in rebounding, Coach K went with his favorite defender.

jv001
01-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Could be that defenses pack in when Amile had the ball 10' or more from basket. They guard Matt when he's outside. Maybe K feels it loosens up the inside if Matt in the game - course It hasn't worked out that way.

The opposing teams have been giving Matt more room than any of our perimeter players and smartly so. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
01-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Are we on after the Kansas game? It's half an hour to tip in our game and the second half in this game just started. Wtf?

Duke76
01-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Are we on after the Kansas game? It's half an hour to tip in our game and the second half in this game just started. Wtf?

Grayson Allen +10 night, as in points

jv001
01-13-2015, 08:42 PM

I can see it now, Kansas up by 6 with little over 13 minutes to go. Probably headed for OT. We might get to see the 2nd half if we're lucky. GoDuke!

riverside6
01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Miami, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/miami-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-01132015

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 08:53 PM
I'll guess our game moves to ESPN News around tipoff, maybe 9:05-10? Switch back to ESPN2 later.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2015, 08:55 PM
I'll guess our game moves to ESPN News around tipoff, maybe 9:05-10? Switch back to ESPN2 later.

No help to me.

There's still 30 minutes to go in this Kansas game. What a crock.

Furniture
01-13-2015, 08:57 PM
In Rocky Mountain VA tonight watching the Psychedelic Furs. Going to miss the game.

jacone21
01-13-2015, 08:57 PM

Yeah I just turned on the TV, ready for hoops and there's like 10 minutes left in the previous game. Did they have power outage or something? Oh well instead of whining, I'll just post this.

ESPN! You Jive Turkey!

OldPhiKap
01-13-2015, 09:00 PM
In Rocky Mountain VA tonight watching the Psychedelic Furs. Going to miss the game.

I saw them, front row, in Page Auditorium (next to the Chapel) in '86 or so. Rock on.

jipops
01-13-2015, 09:08 PM
When does this directv-watchespn deal start anyways?

Btw, I'm expecting a very difficult and close game tonight. Angel Rodriguez is going to drop quite a few tonight.

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 09:10 PM
On ESPN News right now. Will switch to ESPN 2 later. It's Len.......

arnie
01-13-2015, 09:10 PM

They just switched to ESPN news unfortunately it's Elmore.

ChillinDuke
01-13-2015, 09:11 PM
We got Len...

- Chillin

pamtar
01-13-2015, 09:14 PM
When does this directv-watchespn deal start anyways?

Btw, I'm expecting a very difficult and close game tonight. Angel Rodriguez is going to drop quite a few tonight.

I do WatchESPN on roku (dish password) and they still haven't given access to tonight's game. I guess the streaming feed is waiting on the KU final as we'll?

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 09:18 PM
At first TV timeout, it's 7-6 Duke. They're triple-teaming Okafor, stole it once. Okafor at line for 2 when return.

Sorry 7-6 Miami....

After FTs, 7-7.

ChrisP
01-13-2015, 09:19 PM
I do WatchESPN on roku (dish password) and they still haven't given access to tonight's game. I guess the streaming feed is waiting on the KU final as we'll?

Ugh, SO annoying!!! ESPN 2 feed of this interminable KU game keeps saying ours is available on WatchESPN. Uh, no, it's not!!!

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Miami more aggressive. Miami up 11-7.

Cook for 3, 11-10.

Miami 12-10 at 14:07.

Matt J with 2 fouls already.

Wide open jam down lane, no D what-so-ever. and one. K very unhappy.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Since when do refs check to see who the foul is on... stupid big 12 basketball

slower
01-13-2015, 09:26 PM
Pathetic. This is such a broken record. Every year. Please, no more posts about this being one of our historically great teams. It ain't. Out-athleted, defense beat like a freaking drum by quicker guards. Sorry, but it's time for a reality check.

NYBri
Miami driving to the rim and scoring or dishing for a slam. We watched this all last year.

arnie
Miami more aggressive. Miami up 11-7.

Cook for 3, 11-10.

Miami 12-10 at 14:07.

Matt J with 2 fouls already.

Wide open jam down lane, no D what-so-ever. and one. K very unhappy.

Our FT defense good. Other than Oak, not much else.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
Also this game has had about 70 foul shots thats why its taken so long.

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Miami 14-12, 13:00. Miami turnover.

CR9
01-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Plumlee defended that way better than Jah at defending the high pick.

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Miami in lane easily. 2 buckets for Amile. Lousy Duke D. Tyus 3, Duke leads.

Second TV timeout. Lousy D. Miami aggressive. Lousy D. Lousy D.

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 09:31 PM
On ESPN2 now.

Phoenix22
01-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Why so many fouls?

wgl1228
01-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Just play zone for goodness sake. This is the same problem we've had for 3 years. Lay up and dunk city!

HateCarolina
01-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Does the sound of the game sound weird to anyone else?

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Just play zone for goodness sake. This is the same problem we've had for 3 years. Lay up and dunk city!

Does look familiar.

NYBri
01-13-2015, 09:39 PM
This is as sloppy and lost as I've seen since Mercer.

El_Diablo
01-13-2015, 09:40 PM
K very unhappy.

He better get used to being unhappy if he wants to continue extending the pressure out 25 feet from the basket for the rest of the season.

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Under 8 timeout.

Miami quicker, more aggressive, more confident, fearless. No sign of improved Duke D. Miami quicker, quicker, better ball handlers.

TKG
01-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Love Quinn but he cannot guard on the perimeter. Tyus seems disinterested on the defensive end.

Brockt10
01-13-2015, 09:42 PM

This. Our guards aren't quick enough

Wildling
01-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Did Len Elmore just say something positive about Duke? I'm pretty sure I'm hearing things.

subzero02
We could really use 1 more outside shooter...

NYBri
No 3pt shooting either.

NYBri
01-13-2015, 09:47 PM
At least we can't hit free throws.

CR9
01-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Matt has gone stone freakin' cold since the Wiscy game.

NYBri
01-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Sheed. Thank you!

Duke79UNLV77
01-13-2015, 09:52 PM
I have to give State credit for winning the last game. So far, we're working on losing this one.

Frustrating that these days someone like Winslow is assumed to be gone at the end of year based on flashes and potential, when he has so far to go.

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 09:53 PM
No 3pt shooting either.

Duke is struggling to score the ball now. M Jones was recruited to be the deadeye shooter- but he is not that guy. Sheed is streaky at best. This is the first time in a while that Duke has not had a consistent outside threat. It is a big issue. The other way is to be agressive and hit throws. That too is not going well. This team will need to play great D to win. Not sure they can do it.

slower
01-13-2015, 09:54 PM
He better get used to being unhappy if he wants to continue extending the pressure out 25 feet from the basket for the rest of the season.

We don't have the run-and-jump athletes to continue playing this defense. We haven't for 3 years. Amile is an offensive liability. This is not an anomaly. Without Okafor, we'd probably be looking at some truly embarrassing losses. We're overrated.

_Gary
01-13-2015, 09:55 PM
I'm now officially concerned about this team being nowhere near as good as I thought they were. Right now I'm having bad flashbacks to some previous seasons where we started the year looking great but sputtered out badly in ACC play.

NYBri
01-13-2015, 09:57 PM
This is getting ugly. Jah for the travel. Against a good team we are down double digits.

jipops
01-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Difficult game so far, as expected.

CR9
01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm now officially concerned about this team being nowhere near as good as I thought they were. Right now I'm having bad flashbacks to some previous seasons where we started the year looking great but sputtered out badly in ACC play.

Same. They're going to have to improve immeasurably if they want to even compete against Louisville, let alone UVA/UK.

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
This is getting ugly. Jah for the travel. Against a good team we are down double digits.

Never quite understood this - every team is different - Duke might be playing with different energy against a different team. They need to play better against this team.

Wildling
01-13-2015, 10:01 PM

This. I'm having flashbacks of last year. They can't defend the perimeter. I went from thinking this team is special watching the Wisconsin game to, oh boy this could be a first weekend exit again. So frustrating.

TKG
01-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Lethargic and uninspired play by our guys this evening. Thought we would come out with a little more fire.

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 10:02 PM
This. I'm having flashbacks of last year. They can't defend the perimeter. I went from thinking this team is special watching the Wisconsin game to, oh boy this could be a first weekend exit again. So frustrating.

Already projecting to March? It is January 13. Lots of time to get better.

arnie
01-13-2015, 10:03 PM
I have to give State credit for winning the last game. So far, we're working on losing this one.

Frustrating that these days someone like Winslow is assumed to be gone at the end of year based on flashes and potential, when he has so far to go.

Agree re: Winslow. I don't see the high draft hype. He'll have to play a wing and don't think his skills are that extraordinary. Obviously he's an athlete and talented, just think he needs more time to prove himself.

Good news, we have a shot at winning this game.

jipops
01-13-2015, 10:03 PM
We played 3:24 seconds of good defense. That is a huge improvement.

jipops
01-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Agree re: Winslow. I don't see the high draft hype. He'll have to play a wing and don't think his skills are that extraordinary. Obviously he's an athlete and talented, just think he needs more time to prove himself.

Good news, we have a shot at winning this game.

He has terrific skills but he's not a shooter. Unfortunately in this offense much of the time he has to be one. He's a legit lottery pick once he gets a reliable jumper.

Freethrw33
01-13-2015, 10:08 PM
At the end of the half, Elmore was talking about "did the ball leave his hand first?" before the charge.

Does this matter? I don't think so, but I do remember a few times in my life when refs have counted the basket and called a loose ball foul (instead of an offensive foul). If had happened here, basket would have counted and Winslow would be shooting FTs.

Just want to make sure I'm right that Elmore doesn't know what he's talking about (with reference to this play...hehe..I'm not talking about overall, since no need to get a second opinion on that)

dukelion
01-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Add transition defense as another thing we're not very good at. I thought the Wake game was an anomaly but man....every shot that's missed long ends up as a 3 on 1.

Very frustrating to watch.

slower
01-13-2015, 10:10 PM
We just don't have the run-and-jump athletes to be successful with this defensive philosophy. Either we go to something like a pack-line defense or change our recruiting philosophy. We've been tiptoeing around this subject for several years now, but I think it's obvious that we will continue to get out-athleted unless something fundamantal changes. Another thing we've been tiptoeing around is that Amile gives us very little offensively, although we all love the guy. So far in this game, the only spark we're seeing is when Sheed or Winslow or whoever just gets pissed and just makes a play.

But let's stop fooling ourselves - there's a problem here. You can see the players getting frustrated and our opponents getting more confident as time goes by. Recipe for disaster.

Ultrarunner
01-13-2015, 10:14 PM
We just don't have the run-and-jump athletes to be successful with this defensive philosophy. Either we go to something like a pack-line defense or change our recruiting philosophy. We've been tiptoeing around this subject for several years now, but I think it's obvious that we will continue to get out-athleted unless something fundamantal changes. Another thing we've been tiptoeing around is that Amile gives us very little offensively, although we all love the guy. So far in this game, the only spark we're seeing is when Sheed or Winslow or whoever just gets pissed and just makes a play.

But let's stop fooling ourselves - there's a problem here.

Amile has 8 points on 4-4 shooting from the field with 7 rebounds- in the first half. Maybe we give him another half and see how he does, deal? Or do you have another double-double guy in mind?

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

arnie
He has terrific skills but he's not a shooter. Unfortunately in this offense much of the time he has to be one. He's a legit lottery pick once he gets a reliable jumper.

As an NBA wing, his shooting better be much better than what we've seen. I don't see him as the 6th best draft prospect.

jipops
Add transition defense as another thing we're not very good at. I thought the Wake game was an anomaly but man....every shot that's missed long ends up as a 3 on 1.

This has been a problem since the Army game, nothing new.

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 10:15 PM
Amile and Jahlil will surely get some FT chances. But so far they're 3-7.

Tough to win close game with aggressive opponent with those 2 shooting less than 50% FTs.

2008grad
01-13-2015, 10:16 PM
I think losses are a good thing this early in the season--ways to learn and grow. I was expecting to see something different tonight. They look worse. Our defense is deplorable.

Legit contenders bounce back with a vengeance after a poor performance. Great example currently on ESPN....kentucky up on mizzou 44-18 at half.

CR9
01-13-2015, 10:16 PM

Michigan State killed Duke in transition and that was the second (Third?) game.

slower
01-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Amile has 8 points on 4-4 shooting from the field with 7 rebounds- in the first half. Maybe we give him another half and see how he does, deal? Or do you have another double-double guy in mind?

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

Amile isn't an offense generator, he's a garbage man. How many times has he passed up shots within 10 feet or dribbled out and passed when he's basically under the basket. I'm not crazy - my eyes work just fine.

CDu
01-13-2015, 10:17 PM

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

Agreed. Jefferson has certainly had his share of clunkers over the past few weeks, but tonight is not one of them. He had a very quiet first shift, but since then he has been doing work. On pace for 16 and 14!

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 10:18 PM

But let's stop fooling ourselves - there's a problem here.

I agree that the D is not up to standards. But Okafor needs to move more and Jones needs to find him. This team has been scouted and they are not making the adjustments. Still time to get better but it could be frustrating to watch despite the very nice start to the season.

NYBri
01-13-2015, 10:18 PM
First 5 minutes after half. Let's see what they got.

grossbus
01-13-2015, 10:19 PM
" M Jones was recruited to be the deadeye shooter- but he is not that guy."

Frankly, I am not seeing Matt at the defensive end either...mistakes and fouls.

Been that way for a while.

CDu
Amile isn't an offense generator, he's a garbage man. How many times has he passed up shots within 10 feet or dribbled out and passed when he's basically under the basket. I'm not crazy - my eyes work just fine.

Two of his four baskets were on his own offense. He has passed up a few opportunities, but he has played really well offensively tonight.

dukelifer
I think losses are a good thing this early in the season--ways to learn and grow. I was expecting to see something different tonight. They look worse. Our defense is deplorable.

Legit contenders bounce back with a vengeance after a poor performance. Great example currently on ESPN....kentucky up on mizzou 44-18 at half.
Well to be fair, KY is bouncing back after two clunkers in a row. Unless you are telling me that KY is not really a contender.

Eternal Outlaw
01-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Maybe it's just me but I think part of Amile's problem is some sort of mental thing where he doesn't think it's his shot to take when Okafor is in the game. He seems more aggressive down low when Plumlee is in the game or no center.

NYBri
01-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Free throws.

NYBri
01-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Winslow hits K on the bench.

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Free throws.

No excuse for that

NYBri
01-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Winslow. Wrist.

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Not good. That is not going feel good for a while. Team is in trouble now.

El_Diablo
01-13-2015, 10:26 PM

Not much.

Also, we have passed the ball to Okafor 1 time this half.

Monmouth77
Our biggest problem right now is being careless with the ball. That has to stop.

_Gary
Free throws.

Among many other things, yes.

ChrisP
01-13-2015, 10:27 PM

Apparently, not much :(

dbowen
What an awful crowd.

NYBri
Let's hope justise's wrist ain't broken.

Duke79UNLV77
01-13-2015, 10:28 PM
One of the quietest I've heard in Cameron. And this in a conference game coming off a loss.

jipops
01-13-2015, 10:29 PM
This one is starting to get away

2008grad
Well to be fair, KY is bouncing back after two clunkers in a row. Unless you are telling me that KY is not really a contender.

2 clunkers in a row, but clunkers they won. Takes 2 embarrassingly close wins to wake up a team. Thought it would take one loss to wake us up....we are fast asleep (which would be preferable to watching this).

NYBri
Game getting away from us.

slower
01-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Danger zone. It's starting to get in their heads. You can see it.

dukelifer
This one is starting to get away

Looking bad right now. Energy is very bad.

_Gary
Coach needs to pick up a tech on the next marginally bad call. There just isn't any fire in this team right now. Zilch. Zero. Nada. A fire must be lit.

arnie
01-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Not much.

Also, we have passed the ball to Okafor 1 time this half.

Either incapable or not interested in getting back on D.

Duke79UNLV77
He's just had 2 college guards take it right at him and score. He needs to work harder and be more aggressive on that end. His rotations also have been slow several times.

subzero02
Our defensive effort is lame... The crowd is lame and now Winslow is lame as well.

grossbus
Man, we look out of synch

NYBri
01-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Tyus has disappeared. Remember when he took over against wiscy?

_Gary
This crowd stinks! What a joke!!!

tux
Either incapable or not interested in getting back on D.

Yeah. I've seen Quinn jog back on defense twice after missing shots. I hope bad Quinn isn't showing up mid-season again...

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 10:36 PM
Well we knew Winslow was made of iron

NYBri
01-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Miami guards are driving at will.

Monmouth77
01-13-2015, 10:38 PM
This crowd stinks! What a joke!!!

It really is one of the worst Cameron crowds I've ever heard. Sad.

slower
Blood in the water now.

NYBri
K pissed. Run out of the gym.

dukelifer

To go with one of the worst games in a while

BlueDevilBrowns
01-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Soooooo, when does Spring football practice start?

Wildling

I think the crowd is just as shocked as we are.

Channing
Our defense is awful. Why can our guys not stop dribble penetration? And our offense seems to feed off the d...

NYBri
01-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Don't know if they have it in them for a run...but we need stops.

Karl Beem
01-13-2015, 10:41 PM
Remember when we could play?

Channing
Don't know if they have it in them for a run...but we need stops.

Need to stop giving up the easy buckets. How many lay ups or dunks can they get?

arnie
Our defense is awful. Why can our guys not stop dribble penetration? And our offense seems to feed off the d...

No D and not getting back- team is uninspired. Not sure this can be fixed this year.

CR9
01-13-2015, 10:42 PM
What has happened? This team is lethargic. Where is the #1 offense?

_Gary
Unbelievable. What the heck has happened to the team that whipped Wisconsin a month ago?

Philadukie
Wow. I must admit I'm shocked by this right now. This obviously isn't the team I thought we were. Similar to State game where veteren transfers are taking it to our freshmen. I think the problem was that I had forgotten that Jah, Justice, and Tyus were freshmen. They certainly didn't play like it at the beginning of the year.

Duke79UNLV77
01-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Perhaps the overplay and rotate style is more difficult when you have so much turnover and so many inexperienced players every year?

tux
01-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Plenty of time left. But Duke teams of past couple of years have tendency to panic when down like this -- trying to get it all back at once. They need to keep running the offense through Jahil and try to lock down and get some consecutive stops.

Duke79UNLV77
01-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Again. Sheed's man drives. Okafor watches him but doesn't help, even though Miami's center is above the FT line.

CR9
01-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Perhaps the overplay and rotate style is more difficult when you have so much turnover and so many inexperienced players every year?

It should be the only style Duke plays. Ever. Don't give up easy baskets. Make the other team earn everything.

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Unbelievable. What the heck has happened to the team that whipped Wisconsin a month ago?

Coaches have watched tape. There is a body of work

TKG
01-13-2015, 10:49 PM
Sad.

dukelion
Team is a complete mess......shocking that things fell apart so quickly.

But watching this teams body language they need to take some lumps.

KandG
Super dangerous play by Justise after a turnover. Even if it was an accident, it's another example of how his play has been off a beat for a couple of games now.

BlueandWhite
01-13-2015, 10:50 PM
What has happened? This team is lethargic. Where is the #1 offense?

Credit to Miami! They're playing loose, they are moving the ball very well and playing better defense than Duke, their guards are outplaying our backcourt, they are very quick. And they are very well-coached.

duke blue brewcrew
01-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Where did Winslow actually touch him? If they make that call it's total crap! Can somene please tell Elmore to shut-up

2008grad
01-13-2015, 10:51 PM
ummmm.....winslow didn't touch him...clear on the replay.....len elmore please shut up.

BlueDevilBrowns

Dare I say we're being out-coached at the moment?

Teams know what we're going to do so it's on the coaches to respond with adjustments accordingly.

I haven't seen any yet, unless you call the occasional lineup change an "adjustment".

This isn't USA Basketball, ya know?

FerryFor50
Where did Winslow actually touch him? If they make that call it's total crap!

They didn't call it a flagrant. And Len Elmore was very disappointed.

dukelifer
Super dangerous play by Justise after a turnover. Even if it was an accident, it's another example of how his play has been off a beat for a couple of games now.
Yep- that is what happens with Freshman. They are up and down- no matter how much talent they possess.

Channing
Not much effort at all...by the fans. Not sure there is anything crazy about this group

CR9
01-13-2015, 10:52 PM
34 at half. 29 in 10 minutes of the second half. If Miami gets to 80 it's over.

arnie
01-13-2015, 10:52 PM

He's going changing into Maryland riot gear.

Brockt10
01-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Honestly, Len Elmore needs to be fired. He is the worst announcer I have ever heard. Justise never touched him and all he talks about is how it should be a flagrant foul.

_Gary

I don't believe the answer is that simple. All I know is that it's going to take a minor miracle just to pull this be out. Not a good spot to be in playing at home against an inferior team.

dukelifer
Dare I say we're being out-coached at the moment?

Teams know what we're going to do so it's on the coaches to respond with adjustments accordingly.

I haven't seen any yet, unless you call the occasional lineup change an "adjustment".

This isn't USA Basketball, ya know?

We are getting out shot

arnie
34 at half. 29 in 10 minutes of the second half. If Miami gets to 80 it's over.

It's likely over now. How good is Pitt? Maybe we got a shot next week against them.

CR9
Credit to Miami! They're playing loose, they are moving the ball very well and playing better defense than Duke, their guards are outplaying our backcourt, they are very quick. And they are very well-coached.

I would give credit to Miami if this hadn't happened in the two games prior.

slower
01-13-2015, 10:54 PM
We are getting out shot

We're getting out-everythinged.

vrob90
I didn't expect to see the wheels come off this team, but that's what's happened. Time to dial the expectations for this year way down. Pretty disappointing.

duke blue brewcrew
Too many empty offensive possessions and not enough stops on D. More times than not, when Duke gets a stop, they fail to rebound the rebound and the Canes score on the second chance possession. Absolute deflation on both ends of the floor.

Dukehky
It's becoming discouraging that we can't stop anyone.

Wildling
01-13-2015, 10:55 PM
Can someone page the team that out toughed Wisconsin on their home floor please? I liked watching that team.

burns15
Why does Quinn insist on going under the screen on Rodriguez?

Karl Beem
The good news is that Tyus and Winslow have played themselves out of the 1st round.

tux

Elmore and the dude with him seem to think it was a clear push in the back --- that would be a very liberal interpretation of "push".

Duke is playing so tight right now. Not responding well to their first loss.

K showed some fire, but now going back to potted plant mode, silently watching from the bench. Frustrating.

gumbomoop

Agree with all of this.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-13-2015, 10:56 PM
What an amazing coincidence... another team with an astronomical shooting night against us.

Channing
01-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Has this team never seen a pick and roll before? They seem completely incapable of defending it

pamtar
Is Elmore blind and extremely gap-toothed? If justice touched that guys back at all I'll eat a bowl of raw broccoli.

FerryFor50
Hard for Okafor to jump with 2 players holding him down.

W&LHoo
01-13-2015, 10:58 PM
I would give credit to Miami if this hadn't happened in the two games prior.

It's fair to credit Miami. First off, you're not out of this game by a long shot.

Second, as a wahoo, we've now seen what you guys have seen from both Miami and NC State - these two teams are DRAMATICALLY better than their records reflect.

Eternal Outlaw
Thought Okafor was a better rim protector than this

NYBri
7 minutes left and game is over. Wow. Never thought we'd be here this season.

Expectations were too high.

Karl Beem
Miami: "It's so easy, Ha Ha!"

dukelifer
What an amazing coincidence... another team with an astronomical shooting night against us.

Yep. That last 3 was ridiculous.

jipops
Superbly coached middle-tier ACC team blowing out another middle-tier ACC team.

MarkD83
01-13-2015, 10:59 PM
This feels like several of the past years....when we thought Duke would have a better defensive team and does not.

Karl Beem
01-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Let's start Matt again!

FerryFor50
7 minutes left and game is over. Wow. Never thought we'd be here this season.

Expectations were too high.

Game is not over.

_Gary
Superbly coached middle-tier ACC team blowing out another middle-tier ACC team.

Apparently so. Excuse me now as I turn my head and weep silently.

Channing
01-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Please ... More fouls 40 feet from the hoop

FerryFor50
Hey Len, 4 on 1 means you have a much better chance at an offensive board. So why not take a 3?

Kjeffrey
Thought Okafor was a better rim protector than this

I thought he was better at a lot of things. It seems like his play has declined over the past few games which may be part of the reason the team has struggled. He seems disinterested on defense and unable to work out of a double team. The next two weeks ought to be interesting.

BlueandWhite
01-13-2015, 11:02 PM

And sadly, their shooting has only gotten better in the second half. Our backcourt players have done a poor job of defending Miami's guards. Our lousy 3 pt shooting and low shooting % are in large part due to Miami's defense. A team that SHOULDNT be outplaying Duke has outplayed Duke for 35 minutes...maybe they can still pull it out...

duke blue brewcrew
01-13-2015, 11:02 PM
I felt like it was a bit early for the Freshman wall, but that seems to be the case. Jabari warned Jah about it, it hit him right about this time last year. There's lots of sloppy ball handling leading to turnovers, poke steals on rebounds b/c they are bringing the ball down around their belly buttons, tight and rushed shooting and horrible free throw shooting

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Game is not over.
Unfortunately yes

Duke79UNLV77
State had lost to Wofford. Embarrassing.

Billy Dat
Is everyone excited for "K for 1K" on ESPN after this....brutal.

FerryFor50
01-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Pretty poor call on Sheed there. Moved his feet, didn't use his arms or hands. Rodriguez initiated contact with his arm.

Wildling
Game is not over.

Yes it is. We can't stop them.

NYBri
Game is not over.

Yes. It is.

Duke95
01-13-2015, 11:05 PM
We're starting 3 freshmen. These guys were playing HS ball last year. I think it's good for us to return to earth sooner rather than later.
This team will get better. The kids are just going through a tough period.

Channing
Boy...I tried to refrain from mentioning Elmore. But he is unbelievable. Wish we didn't give him a reason to be so happy

But, we seem to have no offensive strategy other than try to feed okafor. We have no pick and role or high screen. When we use smile he refuses to shoot a ft line jumper. Impossible to have any continuity...

jipops
I felt like it was a bit early for the Freshman wall, but that seems to be the case. Jabari warned Jah about it, it hit him right about this time last year. There's lots of sloppy ball handling leading to turnovers, poke steals on rebounds b/c they are bringing the ball down around their belly buttons, tight and rushed shooting and horrible free throw shooting

How could it be a wall? Duke barely played last month.

Unfortunately this team has zero focus out on the floor. It's a coaching issue at this point.

CR9
So how much will Louisville be favored by? I'm guessing 15.

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Yes it is. We can't stop them.

Need to hit free throws in a comeback and need to not turn it over. Both are not happening. I still believe this team can and will get better- but we are seeing a young team take it on the chin.

duke blue brewcrew
Let's start Matt again!

why? wildly inconsistent in my opinion. i know he hustles on D, but despite what he was billed to be during recruitment (IMO) he's a liability on O. he gets hot from time to time, but i'm always in "NO!" mode when the ball hits his hands. besides, his one start didn't work out so hot.

NYBri
Adjusting expectations.

Hope we don't lose by 20. Seriously.

fgb
01-13-2015, 11:07 PM

Unfortunately this team has zero focus out on the floor. It's a coaching issue at this point.

this.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-13-2015, 11:07 PM
At this point none of the Freshman look like they should be going to NBA. As someone who lives close to Miami I am not looking forward to going to work tommorow.

Duke79UNLV77
01-13-2015, 11:08 PM
The good news is that Tyus and Winslow have played themselves out of the 1st round.

Unfortunately, Winslow will still be projected as a top 10 pick, even if he's not a very good college player right now. To tell you the truth, I see Tyus as a 4-year very good college point and just a boarder-line pro, which means he'll probably be 2 and through.

Chicago 1995
01-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Who replaced this year's team with last year's?

The offense is stagnant and nothing but one-on-one. There's minimal movement off the ball. Very few screens set. We don't screen for Jah. Lots of hero ball. Lots of bad threes. It's been as unwatchable the last 60 minutes as last year's offense. And that's not a compliment.

On D, the rotations aren't coming and teams are spacing us better. And we're getting shredded, just like last year. We don't have the personnel to defens this way, but we keep doing it.

We squandered a ton of talent last year, and as impossible as it seemed, with the regression of the last 10 days, we might squander more this year.

Who did less with more last year?

I don't want to think about asking it again this year.

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 11:09 PM

I have to agree- This is not about motivation but execution. This is a very bad performance all around- almost hard to explain. Freshman- what are you going to do.

BlueDevilBrowns
It's a coaching issue at this point.

Yep. It's too easy to blame the current players.

This is on the coaches because we've seen this act before over multiple seasons recently.

It's a disturbing trend.

MarkD83
Duke will be lucky to be 3-5 in the ACC entering Feb. at L'ville at ND and at UVA are all losses if they continue like this

arnie
01-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Need to hit free throws in a comeback and need to not turn it over. Both are not happening. I still believe this team can and will get better- but we are seeing a young team take it on the chin.

Tired of hearing the youth excuse. Sheed is a junior and plays like a freshman. Great individual players but not a team.

Karl Beem
01-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Remember when we thought we had great guards?

Channing
01-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Hat to say it but we have been out coached in 3 straight games

Karl Beem
01-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Duke will be lucky to be 3-5 in the ACC entering Feb. at L'ville at ND and at UVA are all losses if they continue like this

We will be lucky to win another road game.

Kjeffrey
01-13-2015, 11:12 PM

It seems like they are sticking to the same game plan regardless of the outcome. It reminds me of Bobby Cox and the Atlanta Braves. Lose games rather than make changes.

Duke3517
01-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Okafor worst performance by far.

Same old story with Duke's D. Can't stop dribble penetration, can't force enough turnovers, and can't keep fast guards in front of them.

pamtar
01-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Another 50% FT night.

Channing
01-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Bottom line ... We are really bad

Edit ... And we just gave up

Kjeffrey
01-13-2015, 11:14 PM
I have to agree- This is not about motivation but execution. This is a very bad performance all around- almost hard to explain. Freshman- what are you going to do.

I think it is both. There doesn't seem to be a lot of fight in these guys right now. Perhaps they would seem more motivated to me if they actually put a hand up in the shooter's face on the defensive end.

grossbus
01-13-2015, 11:14 PM
please don't foul

Brockt10
01-13-2015, 11:16 PM
I said this last year and got eaten alive for it on this board but this is a coaching issue. Our defense has been so bad the last three years and nothing ever changes. K is a basketball genius but he needs to change something.

Duke79UNLV77
The last couple of minutes we have given up and lost all focus. No pride or fight.

Monmouth77
Too many turnovers. Not enough hustle to win 50-50 balls. These are the things that are tough to watch. It's just not Duke Basketball.

jipops
01-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Wake must be terrible

Eternal Outlaw
Missed FT, sloppy TOs, lazy recovery on transition D seem to be all player issues. Not saying coaching has been perfect but what could coaches do today that gets this effort a win? I don't see it. Off D and packing it in keeps it closer but it's not an 20 point turnaround.

thewoosh31
What a disappointing effort all around. I don't know if I should feel bad for the kids or angry.

I don't even want to watch the Coach K special now. Maybe tomorrow when I've forgotten all about this loss.

Let's hope the players NEVER forget and learn to recover for the next play. Very very interested to see the post game comments from K.

OldPhiKap

Please stop posting before games.

Anything else I would say would get me banned.