PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. NC State (Jan 11, 2015)

JBDuke
01-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 75-87 loss to NC State this afternoon?

Dukehky
01-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Quinn. Great leadership today even though no one really played well.

FerryFor50
01-11-2015, 08:21 PM
I picked Okafor, simply for the fact that he went for 20-10 and didn't go postal from getting mugged all game down low.

Dukehky
01-11-2015, 08:23 PM
I picked Okafor, simply for the fact that he went for 20-10 and didn't go postal from getting mugged all game down low.

I want for K to get a Tech against Miami when people mug Jah. Gotta make that move at home though so it will inspire our crowd and team. Can't pull that kind of thing in tight games on the road. Seems panicky.

DukeDevilDeb
01-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 75-87 loss to NC State this afternoon?

Statistically, of course, Okafor had the most points and the most rebounds. When Rasheed came in, however, he gave us a huge boost... but couldn't do it all himself. Quinn had 18 points but sometimes seemed to disappear for segments at a time. And Amile had 8 rebounds but only one was offensive. Seemed no matter where the ball went up, a guy in white brought it down.

Perhaps these are the statistics that mattered most:

FG % 1st Half: 12-30 40.0% 2nd half: 12-35 34.3%
3FG % 1st Half: 3-12 25.0% 2nd half: 4-15 26.7%
FT % 1st Half: 6-6 100.0 2nd half: 14-20 70.0%

FG% Game: 24-65 36.9%
3FG% Game: 7-27 25.9%
FT% Game: 20-26 76.9%

Really...? We shot 25.9% from three? The only thing odder than that is that NC State shot 62.5% from 3 in the first half and the second half and, obviously, for the entire game. Wherever the basketball gods were tonight, it wasn't on the Duke bench.:(:(:(

FerryFor50
01-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Statistically, of course, Okafor had the most points and the most rebounds. When Rasheed came in, however, he gave us a huge boost... but couldn't do it all himself. Quinn had 18 points but sometimes seemed to disappear for segments at a time. And Amile had 8 rebounds but only one was offensive. Seemed no matter where the ball went up, a guy in white brought it down.

Perhaps these are the statistics that mattered most:

FG % 1st Half: 12-30 40.0% 2nd half: 12-35 34.3%
3FG % 1st Half: 3-12 25.0% 2nd half: 4-15 26.7%
FT % 1st Half: 6-6 100.0 2nd half: 14-20 70.0%

FG% Game: 24-65 36.9%
3FG% Game: 7-27 25.9%
FT% Game: 20-26 76.9%

Really...? We shot 25.9% from three? The only thing odder than that is that NC State shot 62.5% from 3 in the first half and the second half and, obviously, for the entire game. Wherever the basketball gods were tonight, it wasn't on the Duke bench.:(:(:(

Kyle Washington even hit a 3. He's 3-8 on the season. Meaning a) he doesn't take them often and b) isn't that great at them.

Sheed was good at the start, but started reverting to old Sheed and making bad decisions/forcing shots when we needed better decisions/shots.

duke80
01-11-2015, 09:24 PM
I want for K to get a Tech against Miami when people mug Jah. Gotta make that move at home though so it will inspire our crowd and team. Can't pull that kind of thing in tight games on the road. Seems panicky.

Seems like defenses are pushing, hanging and using forearms on Okafor a lot to try to push him out of the box as far as they can and deny him the ball. Is there any way to counteract this like sticking out your butt to push back, or??? It seems like Hansbarrel was very good at running through defenders and forcing calls. Is there anything similar that Jah can do to even the tables and get the refs to call things at least straight up? It seems that they are being forced to swallow their whistles in the name of hard nosed defense, and I'm afraid if this becomes a habit it will limit our potential this year and how far we will go in both tournaments.

FerryFor50
01-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Seems like defenses are pushing, hanging and using forearms on Okafor a lot to try to push him out of the box as far as they can and deny him the ball. Is there any way to counteract this like sticking out your butt to push back, or??? It seems like Hansbarrel was very good at running through defenders and forcing calls. Is there anything similar that Jah can do to even the tables and get the refs to call things at least straight up? It seems that they are being forced to swallow their whistles in the name of hard nosed defense, and I'm afraid if this becomes a habit it will limit our potential this year and how far we will go in both tournaments.

Let's not forget that teams are also falling down at the least bit of contact when he tries to do that and they're getting charge calls.

It's a lose-lose situation right now for him.

jv001
01-12-2015, 08:12 AM
I was so disappointed with the interior defense in the first half, I didn't know who to vote for. So, I voted for MPIII for the 0s he put up across the board. GoDuke!

CDu
01-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Kyle Washington even hit a 3. He's 3-8 on the season. Meaning a) he doesn't take them often and b) isn't that great at them.

Sheed was good at the start, but started reverting to old Sheed and making bad decisions/forcing shots when we needed better decisions/shots.

With regard to Washington, 3-8 (37.5%) is actually a pretty solid percentage. Washington is a pretty good jumpshooter. While he hasn't attempted many 3s this year, he has attempted a lot of long 2s. His attempt was wide open, so it wasn't all that shocking that he made it.

I totally agree on Sulaimon. He was really good early, but his play definitely waned as the game wore on.

captmojo
01-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Being the only player to put up +50% numbers...Jahlil was it. His misses from the field lately, are a lack of touch. Putting his shots up a little too hard has a feel that he's rushing it. With the emphasis of double-teaming and extra defensive focus from opponents, that might seem justified on his part.

He needs to be a little more discerning.

FerryFor50
01-12-2015, 10:24 AM
With regard to Washington, 3-8 (37.5%) is actually a pretty solid percentage. Washington is a pretty good jumpshooter. While he hasn't attempted many 3s this year, he has attempted a lot of long 2s. His attempt was wide open, so it wasn't all that shocking that he made it.

I totally agree on Sulaimon. He was really good early, but his play definitely waned as the game wore on.

I kind of got the feeling that Matt Jones was watching game tape of Sheed, because Matt started off decent and then at the end started jacking up some bad shots.

azzefkram
01-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Tough voting for anyone after this game. Jah had the points and the boards but his interior D was pretty lackluster and he was a bit of a ball stopper on O (I don't think Jah is completely to blame for this as part of it is scheme and part of it was lack of good off the ball movement from his teammates but it still happened). Quinn was steady as was Amile. The rest of the guys were meh to not so good.

flyingdutchdevil
01-12-2015, 02:40 PM
I kind of got the feeling that Matt Jones was watching game tape of Sheed, because Matt started off decent and then at the end started jacking up some bad shots.

Not sure I agree. Matt Jones shot 1-8 for the game, with his only bucket (a 3) coming very deep into the second half. Matt's two turnovers did come in the second half, but his second turnover had no impact on the game (NC State up 12 with 27 seconds to go).

Matt Jones has not been playing well offensively in the last 7 games. He is shooting an abysmal 22% and has 4 assists to 5 turnovers (I know he's not a primary ball handler, but every guard needs to keep turnovers down). Matt's defense is extremely important to this team, but his offense is not adding much value.

weezie
01-12-2015, 03:24 PM
I give my word that I was not ingesting any mood elevators, alcohol or herbal products but I really thought Justise showed some desire and life when the rest of the team looked googley-eyed and rear-end-hurt.
Yeah, sure, he fouled out but he came to play.

FerryFor50
01-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Not sure I agree. Matt Jones shot 1-8 for the game, with his only bucket (a 3) coming very deep into the second half. Matt's two turnovers did come in the second half, but his second turnover had no impact on the game (NC State up 12 with 27 seconds to go).

Matt Jones has not been playing well offensively in the last 7 games. He is shooting an abysmal 22% and has 4 assists to 5 turnovers (I know he's not a primary ball handler, but every guard needs to keep turnovers down). Matt's defense is extremely important to this team, but his offense is not adding much value.

Go check the boards - I am generally one of Matt Jones' biggest defenders.

But the last few minutes of that game, he was making some really poor decisions on offense. He was 1-8 for the game, but put up 3-4 bad shots in a 2 minute span when Duke had crawled back within 10.

flyingdutchdevil
01-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Go check the boards - I am generally one of Matt Jones' biggest defenders.

But the last few minutes of that game, he was making some really poor decisions on offense. He was 1-8 for the game, but put up 3-4 bad shots in a 2 minute span when Duke had crawled back within 10.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your passion regarding M Jones. That's clear. I think that Matt Jones had two bad halves rather than one bad half yesterday. Offensively, Jones just hasn't been effective for the last month or so.