PDA

View Full Version : CFB National Championship, Ohio St 42, Oregon 20

mgtr
01-11-2015, 12:17 PM
While we (im)patiently await the start of our game, any thoughts on tomorrow nights big game? I will root for Mariota and the Ducks. I much prefer their style to that of Woody Hayes' team (three yards and a cloud of dust). Of course, teams don't really play that way anymore, since neither fans nor the NFL appreciate it. Plus, if taken literally, that approach puts you at fourth and one! What is the Vegas line?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-11-2015, 12:21 PM
I'll be far more interested in The National Championship game next year when Duke is in it.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2015, 12:35 PM
I'll be far more interested in The National Championship game next year when Duke is in it.

And may it be the first of many.

Tomorrow, go Ducks. After that, go Duke!

MulletMan
01-11-2015, 04:55 PM
While we (im)patiently await the start of our game, any thoughts on tomorrow nights big game? I will root for Mariota and the Ducks. I much prefer their style to that of Woody Hayes' team (three yards and a cloud of dust). Of course, teams don't really play that way anymore, since neither fans nor the NFL appreciate it. Plus, if taken literally, that approach puts you at fourth and one! What is the Vegas line?

Three yards and a cloud of dust? Have you watched Ohio State play once in the last 10 years?

mgtr
01-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Three yards and a cloud of dust? Have you watched Ohio State play once in the last 10 years?

I referenced the Woody Hayes era of Ohio State, not the current era.

Mike Corey
01-11-2015, 06:08 PM
I will be rooting for Ohio State.

However, I suspect Oregon will win by two touchdowns.

YmoBeThere
01-11-2015, 07:31 PM
I referenced the Woody Hayes era of Ohio State, not the current era.

I thought it was 4 yards and a cloud of dust? 3 yards would leave you looking at a lot of 4th down conversions.

I will be rooting for whomever is playing that team from Columbus. Every single game.

wavedukefan70s
01-11-2015, 07:49 PM
I'm wanting oregon to take it all.my boy adopted oregon as his football team about five years ago.

blazindw
01-11-2015, 09:56 PM
As a Michigan native, I will never root for Ohio State in anything they do...football, basketball, badminton, Cards Against Humanity, Monopoly, checkers, anything. So, I'ma roll with the Ducks tomorrow.

Interesting historical note: Oregon-Ohio State was also the matchup in the first NCAA Tournament final back in 1939. Oregon won that one and I'm hoping they can win the first College Football Playoff as well.

uh_no
01-11-2015, 09:59 PM
OSU isn't stopping UO's offense. not a chance.

oregon rolls.

throatybeard
01-11-2015, 10:05 PM
As a Michigan native, I will never root for Ohio State in anything they do...football, basketball, badminton, Cards Against Humanity...

What a coincidence. Oregon specializes in uniforms against humanity.

blazindw
01-11-2015, 10:42 PM
What a coincidence. Oregon specializes in uniforms against humanity.

And it's interesting that tomorrow of all games, they will wear their tamest uniforms yet.

wavedukefan70s
01-11-2015, 11:33 PM
I love there uniforms.

mo.st.dukie
01-12-2015, 02:11 AM
I'm definitely rooting for Oregon. It would be a refreshing change to see the Ducks win and signal a new era in college football. People always used to laugh at Oregon's uniforms and would shake their heads at their style of play saying that it could never win championships. Now everybody is trying to copy their creativity with uniforms (even some of the more traditional programs like Ohio State and Oklahoma have had alternate jerseys) and emulate their style of play.

Karl Beem
01-12-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm definitely rooting for Oregon. It would be a refreshing change to see the Ducks win and signal a new era in college football. People always used to laugh at Oregon's uniforms and would shake their heads at their style of play saying that it could never win championships. Now everybody is trying to copy their creativity with uniforms (even some of the more traditional programs like Ohio State and Oklahoma have had alternate jerseys) and emulate their style of play.

There's only one Phil Night

Indoor66
01-12-2015, 09:22 AM
When is the game?

Mike Corey
01-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Now everybody is trying to copy their creativity with uniforms (even some of the more traditional programs like Ohio State and Oklahoma have had alternate jerseys) and emulate their style of play.

I wouldn't say the programs are trying to follow Oregon's lead in this sense. Instead, the apparel companies have figured out that they can sell more jerseys if they annually play dress up with the programs they clothe. This only happens one game per season, however, and these are just special uniforms, not unique uniform combinations (Oregon's area of expertise).

And Duke basketball is not immune to the special uniform thing either.

But very few programs vary the uniform combinations as much as Oregon, though some of the programs lacking much tradition have followed suit in that regard.

blazindw
01-12-2015, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't say the programs are trying to follow Oregon's lead in this sense. Instead, the apparel companies have figured out that they can sell more jerseys if they annually play dress up with the programs they clothe. This only happens one game per season, however, and these are just special uniforms, not unique uniform combinations (Oregon's area of expertise).

And Duke basketball is not immune to the special uniform thing either.

But very few programs vary the uniform combinations as much as Oregon, though some of the programs lacking much tradition have followed suit in that regard.

Duke Football is not immune either, though all of our jersey combos have followed the "simple yet elegant" example. But, it gives fans and players something to look forward to every week when they announce the jerseys for a particular game. But I digress.

gcashwell
01-12-2015, 09:47 AM
As a bama fan, this pains me to say, but I am rooting for OSU. I also think they will win. Neither team will stop the other very much, but I have OSU by 10.

I think this is the best NCG we could have had with these four teams. Oregon would have beaten bama by 21.

OldPhiKap
01-12-2015, 10:33 AM
When is the game?

The broadcast starts at 8:30 tonight EST; I assume actual kick-off is a bit after that. Hype, commercials, line-ups, etc. But everything I've seen lists it as an 8:30 kick-off.

Mike Corey
01-12-2015, 10:36 AM
I am rooting for OSU.

Glad to no longer be alone. :)

WV_Iron_Duke
01-12-2015, 10:42 AM
"I thought it was 4 yards and a cloud of dust? 3 yards would leave you looking at a lot of 4th down conversions."
As I remember as a knowledgeable youth this expression was poking fun at Woody Hayes' offense.In fact the next line was pretty much the same as above.

OldPhiKap
01-12-2015, 10:43 AM

Will a win or a loss make it more or less likely that a certain back-up quarterback transfers?

I guess at the end of the day, that's my rooting interest. Other than that -- Go Ducks!

Troublemaker
01-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Rooting for Ohio St and think they will win. They actually have more NFL talent than Oregon thanks to three years of Urban Meyer's recruiting. I think the point spread should've been a pick'em instead of Oregon by 7 (and now 6).

Mike Corey
01-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Will a win or a loss make it more or less likely that a certain back-up quarterback transfers?

I guess at the end of the day, that's my rooting interest. Other than that -- Go Ducks!

I truly don't know how to answer this question.

From what is being said publicly and from what I've gathered privately, Miller is insistent that he's staying in Columbus. I find this difficult to believe, but such is the word.

There's no way that all three stick around.

My pie in the sky wish: Cardale Jones has terrific game against Oregon. With his stock as high as possible, he goes pro early. Miller accepts that he is not an NFL quarterback and transitions into a Percy Harvin-role for the Bucks. Barrett takes the reigns for two more seasons, and OSU's two top-flight QB commits enroll and prepare to take the reigns down the road. (OSU has one other QB on the roster (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ohio-state-redshirt-qb-stephen-collier-did-his-best-marcus-mariota-impression-this-week-200142216.html), currently redshirting.)

YmoBeThere
01-12-2015, 10:59 AM

I see what you did there.

MulletMan
01-12-2015, 01:53 PM

C'mon, Mike... you know you're not alone.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG ON SLOOPY! SLOOPY HANG ON!

O-H!

TexHawk
01-12-2015, 02:25 PM
I cannot root for OSU in anything, but I think they take this game by at least two touchdowns. Way way more talent than people are giving them credit for. Plus Oregon is down their two best receivers.

I am not a betting man, but if I were, I would put a significant amount of money (for me) on it.

Mike Corey
01-12-2015, 02:57 PM
I cannot root for OSU in anything, but I think they take this game by at least two touchdowns. Way way more talent than people are giving them credit for. Plus Oregon is down their two best receivers.

(1) There are lots of folks refusing to ever root for OSU in anything. Not to steer us off topic, but I would be curious to learn about reasons why--aside from Donald, my Michigan-loving friend, for whom I know the reason. :)

(2) No way! Oregon is the greatest and Ohio State is in way over its head.

Duvall
01-12-2015, 02:59 PM
(1) There are lots of folks refusing to ever root for OSU in anything. Not to steer us off topic, but I would be curious to learn about reasons why--aside from Donald, my Michigan-loving friend, for whom I know the reason. :)

Well, talk like this doesn't help:

Mike Corey
01-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Well, talk like this doesn't help:

It wasn't meant as a slight, by any stretch. Instead, it was an acknowledgment of a clever attempt at growing a program.

It's been good business for programs that don't have lot of history to sell recruits to utilize more creative ways to draw attention and talent.

Oregon's uniforms made them distinct, just as Boise State's field, and just as other programs have gone out of their way to play games on weeknights to draw a national audience.

Alabama doesn't need to change up its uniforms weekly to have a pitch to recruits.

Oregon did. And now it's part of its overall sell to recruits.

crimsondevil
01-12-2015, 03:43 PM
"I thought it was 4 yards and a cloud of dust? 3 yards would leave you looking at a lot of 4th down conversions."
As I remember as a knowledgeable youth this expression was poking fun at Woody Hayes' offense.In fact the next line was pretty much the same as above.

I always figured the cloud of dust was worth at least a foot.

devildeac
01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
I always figured the cloud of dust was worth at least a foot.

I always thought is was worth a hearty 'Hi-yo, Silver.'

:o

westwall
01-12-2015, 04:49 PM

Count me in too, Mike.

gurufrisbee
01-12-2015, 05:04 PM
Go Ohio State!

Can't stand the Ducks.

luvdahops
01-12-2015, 05:29 PM
And it's interesting that tomorrow of all games, they will wear their tamest uniforms yet.

Tamest perhaps, but also ones utterly devoid of their official school colors. Which is unforgivable under any circumstances IMHO, but particularly under these.

YmoBeThere
01-12-2015, 05:34 PM

(2) No way! Oregon is the greatest and Ohio State is in way over its head.

Try living in Ohio while having no rooting interest in OSU. The incessant droning on gets old. Sort of like being a Duke fan and living in NC. Or a Vandy alum living in Tennessee. Just at a lower level of distaste.

I should be more kind with regards to OSU, they employed my grandmother in the 1950's when she was a single mother of Japanese descent. And for the most part I was until I moved to Cincy for a few years.

TexHawk
01-12-2015, 06:24 PM

With Michigan's fall from grace, OSU is the epitome/face of Big10 arrogance to me.

Also, Aaron Craft. Aaron Craft. And Aaron Craft again.

Btw, this obviously just my opinion, with no real evidence. I'm sure there are lots of nice things about Ohio State, I just can't think of any. I have a degree from a smaller school in Ohio, and the brainwashing that the Buckeyes have done in that state is awe-inspiring. People will cheer against the Ohio school they attend in favor of Ohio State when they play each other. It's amazing.

indy1duke
01-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Go Bucks! As a season ticket holder since law school it is my second passion behind Duke basketball. Frankly over those 40 years I could not have picked two better teams to follow. Oregon is down four starters -- two wide receivers, one tight end and their best corner. No one gives Ohio State a chance and Urban Meyer is 6-0 as an underdog. I like those odds in a tightly contested and entertaining game. There will be three yards and a cloud of dust in an effort to keep the Oregon offense on the sidelines as much as possible. I have no idea who will win the game. It wouldn't be much fun if I did know although I could make a lot of money.

arnie
01-12-2015, 07:01 PM
With Michigan's fall from grace, OSU is the epitome/face of Big10 arrogance to me.

Also, Aaron Craft. Aaron Craft. And Aaron Craft again.

Btw, this obviously just my opinion, with no real evidence. I'm sure there are lots of nice things about Ohio State, I just can't think of any. I have a degree from a smaller school in Ohio, and the brainwashing that the Buckeyes have done in that state is awe-inspiring. People will cheer against the Ohio school they attend in favor of Ohio State when they play each other. It's amazing.

For me, my OH St hatred comes from strong dislike of Big 10 football. Delaney and Big 10 ADs fought the BCS and any thought of Football playoff for years. I think they knew they couldn't compete and thought Rose Bowl should be the big prize. I still don't think Big 10 football any better than ACC; therefore pulling for the Ducks. Also, the "THE" is nauseating.

A-Tex Devil
01-12-2015, 07:05 PM
If I don't have other reasons (like enjoying seeing Baylor lose to Michigan St., rooting for Ohio St. last week), I'm just preternaturally disposed to root against Big 10 teams. So I'll root for Oregon. I like Mariota as well.

But I think anyone that thinks Oregon is definitely going to roll forgets Auburn 4 years ago dominating the line of scrimmage against the Ducks. Ohio St. is built pretty similarly on both sides of the ball.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-12-2015, 07:28 PM
From Duke Football:
REMEMBER: Between the first and second quarters of tonight's College Football Playoff title game on ESPN, linebacker David Helton will be honored as the National Football Foundation Campbell Trophy winner.

_Gary
01-12-2015, 07:34 PM
All I know is that the definition of a buckeye is "a worthless nut." That makes my rooting choice easy. :)

Wander
01-12-2015, 07:34 PM
(1) There are lots of folks refusing to ever root for OSU in anything. Not to steer us off topic, but I would be curious to learn about reasons why--aside from Donald, my Michigan-loving friend, for whom I know the reason.

I imagine a lot of has to do with Ohio State rolling over for Florida and LSU in "title" games, spurring a bunch of obnoxious SEC crap for most of a decade.

Plus the Ohio State president being an idiot with his little sisters of the poor comment. Would have loved to see Boise State crush OSU in 2007.

Basically, those two things combined to make Ohio State the poster child of what was wrong with the BCS.

pfrduke
01-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Oregon's first possession - 2:39 and 11 plays, for one play every 14+ seconds. Whoosh.

77devil
01-12-2015, 09:01 PM
I imagine a lot of has to do with Ohio State rolling over for Florida and LSU in "title" games, spurring a bunch of obnoxious SEC crap for most of a decade.

Plus the Ohio State president being an idiot with his little sisters of the poor comment. Would have loved to see Boise State crush OSU in 2007.

Basically, those two things combined to make Ohio State the poster child of what was wrong with the BCS.

Besides being a pompous blowhard, the gaffes of Gordon Gee could fill a library. And let us not forget the obnoxious arrogance of "The" Ohio State U. For most of my life it was simply Ohio State. Talk about an inferiority complex.

YmoBeThere
01-12-2015, 09:19 PM
Well, that just freed up some time this evening.

cspan37421
01-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Oregon's first possession - 2:39 and 11 plays, for one play every 14+ seconds. Whoosh.

Don't you mean Swoosh?

;)

moonpie23
01-12-2015, 11:36 PM
too much Zeke

Troublemaker
01-13-2015, 12:05 AM
Congrats, Corey and other Buckeye backers.

More talented and more physical team won. Could've been a massive blowout if not for the turnovers.

I think Urban Meyer has re-claimed "best college coach" status after winning two playoff games against Bama and Oregon with a 3rd-string QB.

westwall
01-13-2015, 12:05 AM
oregon's first possession - 2:39 and 11 plays, for one play every 14+ seconds. Whoosh.

---- well ??!!

wavedukefan70s
01-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Well hats off to urban and company.they looked ready to play.

Mike Corey
01-13-2015, 12:29 AM
Thanks, Troublemaker!

Incredibly impressed with what just transpired.

Have to process it. But goodness gracious, the coaching staff did a number on this team. Very, very excited.

My condolences to you Oregon fans. I'm sure you'll be back with a vengeance.

Most importantly, here's hoping there's another title to celebrate in April.

YmoBeThere
01-13-2015, 05:34 AM
Yes, congrats to the Buckeyes they were quite clearly the better team which was easy to see after the first couple of drives.

This is the first time I've watched Oregon play. Quite honestly, it looks like they have five plays. And very few of them were working.

I don't think the Miller situation will resolve itself until after deadlines to enter the draft. Probably much too late to impact our situation.

hudlow
01-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Oregon displayed some of the worst tackling I've ever seen.

I know it's hard to tackle when you're being run over, but....

mgtr
01-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Have to give credit to Ohio State. They went out and played FOOTBALL while Oregon played their normal football. If Oregon had stayed in the air, instead of trying to run the ball, they may have been better off. But, the best team won. Congrats OSU.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2015, 08:57 AM
tOSU turned the ball over four times, and won 42-20.

Wow.

Oregon looked rattled a little early, dropping those two third down passes. tOSU, turnovers aside, just looked dominant on both sides of the line. What a great defensive performance.

Congrats to both schools on a great season, congrats to tOSU for the win.

Hope we're in the hunt next year -- and hope our players saw the level of performance necessary to get there.

MulletMan
01-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Save for the turnovers, the game was over when Cardale Jones dropped back on 3rd and 6 in the 2nd quarter, Oregon dropped 8 in coverage including their 300 lb nose tackle, Jones saw no open receivers, tucked the ball and took off, found himself face-to-face with said nose tackle about 2 yards short of the first down. Jones lowered his shoulder and blew his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. up. Right then, it was over. Oregon was not physical enough to stay with OSU. OSU was going to beat them down and wear them down and they did.

OH! IO!

JasonEvans
01-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Remember all that outrage when OSU leapfrogged Baylor and TCU to reach the playoff? Wasn't that cute?

I want a count of how many of Zeke's runs were for more than 8 yards and how many were for less. I swear, every time he touched the ball, he just chewed up big yardage. The really scary thing is that they beat Oregon so badly while committing 4 turnovers. If OSU didn't turn the ball over, they would have scored 60.

-Jason "worth noting that OSU is a really young team and most of them return next year - scary!" Evans

Mike Corey
01-13-2015, 10:13 AM
They do return most of the lines, and most of the skill players. Their deep threat on offense--Devin Smith--might be the biggest loss, along with whichever quarterback transfers/goes pro.

After OSU's first few possessions, I thought Oregon's defensive play was terrific. They were getting a ton of pressure on Jones. Elliot's first four carries went nowhere. But OSU identified two running plays that Oregon just couldn't stop. Between that, and Oregon's inopportune dropped passes, and inability to finish drives or convert third downs, and that was the ballgame despite those four turnovers.

elvis14
01-13-2015, 10:33 AM
This game reminded me of another championship game between Oregon and Alabama in that Oregon just wasn't physical enough. Ohio State just pushed Oregon around and ran the ball (and that's what I remember Alabama doing as well). Oregon would have had to keep scoring to keep up with OSU and they just didn't. Congrats to the OSU fans.

sagegrouse
01-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Lessee... Cardale Jones has started three games: Big Ten championship -- 59-0 over Wisconsin; CFP semis -- 42-35 over #1 Alabam; CFP Championship -- 42-20 over Oregon.

I mean, how could be so prepared for high-pressure games in a national spotlight with virtually no prior experience? Is there any close precedent?

What the heck is he gonna do for an encore, and will it be at Ohio State? The 22-YO is eligible for the NFL draft, and SI has a story that he is beginning to consider it.

Zeke was an incredible force and his runs and threats of runs made it much easier for Cardale Jones. I suppose there are comparable performances by a running back in a national championship game, but I can't think of them.

dukelifer
01-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Lessee... Cardale Jones has started three games: Big Ten championship -- 59-0 over Wisconsin; CFP semis -- 42-35 over #1 Alabam; CFP Championship -- 42-20 over Oregon.

I mean, how could be so prepared for high-pressure games in a national spotlight with virtually no prior experience? Is there any close precedent?

What the heck is he gonna do for an encore, and will it be at Ohio State? The 22-YO is eligible for the NFL draft, and SI has a story that he is beginning to consider it.

Zeke was an incredible force and his runs and threats of runs made it much easier for Cardale Jones. I suppose there are comparable performances by a running back in a national championship game, but I can't think of them.

If it was in a movie you would not believe it. The kid has a cannon for an arm, good instincts and is a strong athlete. He is really raw but he is more of an prototypical NFL quarterback than Manziel. I was amazed that he really did not get rattled in that moment. He has great self confidence. He and Elliot looked like the pros out there.

Wander
01-13-2015, 11:19 AM
I want a count of how many of Zeke's runs were for more than 8 yards and how many were for less. I swear, every time he touched the ball, he just chewed up big yardage.

Zeke played well of course, but the real MVP to me was OSU's offensive line which just dominated. I swear Zeke was barely touched all game, and it seemed rarely had to do anything fancy.

We all agree that Ohio State is the best team, right? Well, they were #4 and nearly missed the playoffs. So, how many Ohio States did we miss out on over the years? Was TCU, which did miss the playoffs, the 2nd best team in the country?

Also, the nice performance by the Big 10 probably makes the ACC as the worst of the power 5 conferences for the season once again, though thanks to GT and Clemson it's not by a big margin and I suppose you could make an argument for the Big 12.

fidel
01-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Zeke played well of course, but the real MVP to me was OSU's offensive line which just dominated.

This. Whatever they did with the offensive line after the Virginia Tech game has turned the team around. What was it, seven sacks that game? And improved to the point that the third string QB has time to look like Joe Montana? Reminds me of the Maryland game in 2010 when Zoubs suddenly became a rebounding monster...just changed everything.

Zeke is a fun guy to watch. Incredible speed and balance.

Fun game. Make the playoff eight teams, first four right after thanksgiving, and we have a tournament.

Now go Duke! Indianapolis is an easy drive from Columbus!

Billy Dat
01-13-2015, 11:57 AM

I know someone has to take a back seat amidst the play of Jones, Elliott and the tOsu o-line but, man, tOSU D was awesome, too. The game kind of came down to 3rd downs on both sides. Helfrich said at halftime that they needed to get back to their offensive pace being a weapon, they just couldn't get any first downs.

Save for the turnovers, the game was over when Cardale Jones dropped back on 3rd and 6 in the 2nd quarter...

He was a battering ram.

After OSU's first few possessions, I thought Oregon's defensive play was terrific. They were getting a ton of pressure on Jones. Elliot's first four carries went nowhere. But OSU identified two running plays that Oregon just couldn't stop. Between that, and Oregon's inopportune dropped passes, and inability to finish drives or convert third downs, and that was the ballgame despite those four turnovers.

The momentum change was as abrupt as it was startling. I think we all kept waiting for the Oregon run...and it never came. Until it was already happening, I didn't think tOSU offense would dominate that way, but they just couldn't stop Jones/Elliott. Did anyone else keep laughing everytime they showed Elliott's pre-game taped silent pantomime of "I Love You" where he was drawing the heart with his hands. Bizarre.

This game reminded me of another championship game between Oregon and Alabama in that Oregon just wasn't physical enough. Ohio State just pushed Oregon around and ran the ball (and that's what I remember Alabama doing as well). Oregon would have had to keep scoring to keep up with OSU and they just didn't. Congrats to the OSU fans.

The physiciality difference was palpable, save for the times when Oregon kept knocking the ball loose.

Epic.

We all agree that Ohio State is the best team, right? Well, they were #4 and nearly missed the playoffs. So, how many Ohio States did we miss out on over the years? Was TCU, which did miss the playoffs, the 2nd best team in the country?

Get this thing to 8 teams ASAP. the two round playoffs was awesome, 3 would be amazing!

arnie
01-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Zeke played well of course, but the real MVP to me was OSU's offensive line which just dominated. I swear Zeke was barely touched all game, and it seemed rarely had to do anything fancy.

Also, the nice performance by the Big 10 probably makes the ACC as the worst of the power 5 conferences for the season once again, though thanks to GT and Clemson it's not by a big margin and I suppose you could make an argument for the Big 12.
I don't agree that OSU's great postseason validates the Big 10 anymore than FSUs championship last year validated the ACC. Oh State won their Big 10 title game 59-0. Yes OSU looked fantastic (unfortunately), but I still think the conference is pretty weak. Of course the ACC isn't much different compared to the other Power 5 conferences.

Wander
01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
I don't agree that OSU's great postseason validates the Big 10 anymore than FSUs championship last year validated the ACC. Oh State won their Big 10 title game 59-0. Yes OSU looked fantastic (unfortunately), but I still think the conference is pretty weak. Of course the ACC isn't much different compared to the other Power 5 conferences.

I agree that OSU's postseason doesn't validate the Big 10, but:

1. It wasn't just OSU - the conference performed well in the bowl season overall, even though they had essentially three road games
2. I'm not arguing for the Big 10 as the best conference - I still think they're very solidly behind the Pac 12 and SEC

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-13-2015, 12:32 PM
So ESPN is saying that OSU's QB is considering going pro. Wonder how that will influence Braxton Miller's decision.

_Gary
01-13-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm surprised at most of you in this thread. It's like you are only remembering the 2nd half of the game. Frankly, Oregon marched up and down the field on the OSU defense in the first half and for a bit of the 3rd quarter. And OSU wasn't stopping Oregon in the first half. Oregon was stopping Oregon. I give OSU all the credit on their offensive side of the ball. I knew they'd be more physical and be able to run the ball. But this game would have been ENTIRELY different had the Ducks not uncharacteristically dropped two easy 3rd down passes in the 1st quarter, and also gotten hosed by a blatant DPI on OSU on yet another 3rd down pass in the first quarter. Those plays were all H-U-G-E in giving OSU time to settle in and actually build a lead. If the Ducks actually complete those catches and continue drives that game is completely different. Oregon could have easily had 21 to 28 points after that 1st Quarter alone. Not making those simple plays swung the entire game around. Again, props to OSU in the 2nd half, but I think Oregon beat themselves in that first half - and it cost them a championship.

It's easy to look at the final score (oh, and nice way to run it up at the end Meyer) and just think OSU dominated the entire game. But that's not the way it happened. Oregon looked very good offensively (and not bad defensively) but let themselves down with uncharacteristic play in that first half. By the 2nd half, even though Oregon scored quickly to narrow the gap, I felt like the dye had already been cast and OSU would win easily. But don't overlook those OU blunders, which OSU's defense couldn't take credit for, in that first quarter. That was the key to the game.

And for the record, no, I don't think that game last night means definitively that OSU was the best team in the nation. Frankly, I believe TCU should have been #4 going in and OSU should have stayed home. Just because they won doesn't mean TCU wasn't deserving of the same chance. And it doesn't mean they wouldn't have done the same thing and won it all!

Duvall
01-13-2015, 12:47 PM
I agree that OSU's postseason doesn't validate the Big 10, but:

1. It wasn't just OSU - the conference performed well in the bowl season overall, even though they had essentially three road games
2. I'm not arguing for the Big 10 as the best conference - I still think they're very solidly behind the Pac 12 and SEC

Okay, but you don't chuck an entire season's worth of games based on the last eleven, five of which the Big Ten lost.

Tom B.
01-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Looks like Maryland is already rubbing off on its new conference brethren.

Fans riot in Columbus. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/chi-ohio-state-fan-reaction-20150113-story.html)

jv001
01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
I'm surprised at most of you in this thread. It's like you are only remembering the 2nd half of the game. Frankly, Oregon marched up and down the field on the OSU defense in the first half and for a bit of the 3rd quarter. And OSU wasn't stopping Oregon in the first half. Oregon was stopping Oregon. I give OSU all the credit on their offensive side of the ball. I knew they'd be more physical and be able to run the ball. But this game would have been ENTIRELY different had the Ducks not uncharacteristically dropped two easy 3rd down passes in the 1st quarter, and also gotten hosed by a blatant DPI on OSU on yet another 3rd down pass in the first quarter. Those plays were all H-U-G-E in giving OSU time to settle in and actually build a lead. If the Ducks actually complete those catches and continue drives that game is completely different. Oregon could have easily had 21 to 28 points after that 1st Quarter alone. Not making those simple plays swung the entire game around. Again, props to OSU in the 2nd half, but I think Oregon beat themselves in that first half - and it cost them a championship.

It's easy to look at the final score (oh, and nice way to run it up at the end Meyer) and just think OSU dominated the entire game. But that's not the way it happened. Oregon looked very good offensively (and not bad defensively) but let themselves down with uncharacteristic play in that first half. By the 2nd half, even though Oregon scored quickly to narrow the gap, I felt like the dye had already been cast and OSU would win easily. But don't overlook those OU blunders, which OSU's defense couldn't take credit for, in that first quarter. That was the key to the game.

And for the record, no, I don't think that game last night means definitively that OSU was the best team in the nation. Frankly, I believe TCU should have been #4 going in and OSU should have stayed home. Just because they won doesn't mean TCU wasn't deserving of the same chance. And it doesn't mean they wouldn't have done the same thing and won it all!

The Championship format is much better than in the past, but it's a far cry from the other major sports. Selecting only 4 teams does not settle the issue. As for the game itself, I wanted to watch the game, but couldn't. I did watch the first quarter and thought that the two teams were pretty much equal. The two dropped passes really hurt the Ducks but I don't know if they had enough to win against a great Ohio State team. And let me say this, they have a great coach in Meyer. I didn't know until yesterday that he was a shortstop in the Braves minor league system. Mark Lemke was on MLB TV yesterday and he told Chris Rouseau they played together in the minors. Said Meyer was a very good athlete. GoDuke!

Wander
01-13-2015, 01:01 PM
Okay, but you don't chuck an entire season's worth of games based on the last eleven, five of which the Big Ten lost.

I'm not chucking anything. I'm saying that before the bowl season, the ACC and Big 10 looked about even, and after the bowl season, they're still pretty close, but that the Big 10 is slightly ahead.

_Gary
01-13-2015, 01:05 PM
I did watch the first quarter and thought that the two teams were pretty much equal. The two dropped passes really hurt the Ducks but I don't know if they had enough to win against a great Ohio State team.

Those drops were huge. Make no mistake about it. At that point early in the game the OSU defense had no answers. And the non-call on the DPI was huge as well. That's 3 drives in the first quarter where Oregon came away with nothing and it wasn't about the OSU defense at all. And the only reason I bring up the DPI was because OSU got that call just minutes earlier in the game and it was pretty egregious for the officials not to throw the flag and call it the same going both ways.

Wander
01-13-2015, 01:09 PM

I have the exact opposite impression. Ohio State had 4 turnovers to Oregon's 0 (not counting the garbage time interception), and I think only 1 of those came on a particularly good defensive play by Oregon. Not to mention Oregon was a micron away from the Desean Jackson pre-touchdown drop play. The margin could have been much bigger.

elvis14
01-13-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm surprised at most of you in this thread. It's like you are only remembering the 2nd half of the game.

I know this is the case for me.....I only saw the second half of the game :cool:

A-Tex Devil
01-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Looks like Maryland is already rubbing off on its new conference brethren.

Fans riot in Columbus. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/chi-ohio-state-fan-reaction-20150113-story.html)

Oh.... I think Ohio St fans could always hold their own in this regard. Ohio St., Maryland and Michigan St are like the axis of evil when it comes to this stuff. I still remember the horror stories of UT fans walking the gauntlet back to their cars after VY and Co. beat the Buckeyes in '05.

Mike Corey
01-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Agreed with Wander.

Yes, Oregon stopped itself with two dropped passes. But OSU did have something to do with 3rd and long situations that made those dropped passes all the more significant.

And of course, Ohio State had 3 "unforced" turnovers--the fumbled handoff, the interception that bounced off the receiver's chest, and the bizarre Jamies-esque fumble. (The fourth turnover, after that 47-yard gain, was forced by a tackler.) (The ball also bounced Oregon's way on the initial drive, with one fumble being recovered, and the other being overturned, rightly so.)

So there was plenty of uncharacteristic, foot-shooting to go around.

The key was that Oregon only turned OSU's four turnovers into 10 points. That sort of uncharacteristic Oregon play had something to do with OSU.

Des Esseintes
01-13-2015, 01:34 PM

When did Alabama and Oregon ever play each other for the championship?

elvis14
01-13-2015, 01:37 PM

I might be mis-remembering the game. Could have been the Auburn-Oregon game from 2010. Sorry about that.

_Gary
01-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Agreed with Wander.

Yes, Oregon stopped itself with two dropped passes. But OSU did have something to do with 3rd and long situations that made those dropped passes all the more significant.

And of course, Ohio State had 3 "unforced" turnovers--the fumbled handoff, the interception that bounced off the receiver's chest, and the bizarre Jamies-esque fumble. (The fourth turnover, after that 47-yard gain, was forced by a tackler.) (The ball also bounced Oregon's way on the initial drive, with one fumble being recovered, and the other being overturned, rightly so.)

So there was plenty of uncharacteristic, foot-shooting to go around.

The key was that Oregon only turned OSU's four turnovers into 10 points. That sort of uncharacteristic Oregon play had something to do with OSU.

Actually, the first dropped pass (when it was 7-0 Oregon) was on a 3rd and 3. And you've got the other 3rd down with the no-flag on a blatant DPI in the first quarter. Plus, Oregon's MO all year was forcing turnovers so I'm not as quick to equate the OSU fumbles to those early dropped passes, the missed DPI, and the favorable spot on OSU's first 4th down conversion where they went on to score their first TD. To be honest, looking at that one multiple times on replay, I don't think OSU got it. But they got a favorable spot that allowed them literally just enough inches to get the first down. But whatever. Those are just the early things that all went the Buckeyes' way that I believe changed the course of the entire game and probably cost the Ducks a really great chance at winning that game and a championship.

vick
01-13-2015, 01:40 PM
I have the exact opposite impression. Ohio State had 4 turnovers to Oregon's 0 (not counting the garbage time interception), and I think only 1 of those came on a particularly good defensive play by Oregon. Not to mention Oregon was a micron away from the Desean Jackson pre-touchdown drop play. The margin could have been much bigger.

Agreed, fumble recoveries (as opposed to fumbles forced) are maybe the most random aspect of football, and OSU was definitely on the short end of them. Could have been much worse very easily.

Mike Corey
01-13-2015, 01:41 PM

He means Auburn.

A-Tex Devil
01-13-2015, 01:41 PM
If I don't have other reasons (like enjoying seeing Baylor lose to Michigan St., rooting for Ohio St. last week), I'm just preternaturally disposed to root against Big 10 teams. So I'll root for Oregon. I like Mariota as well.

But I think anyone that thinks Oregon is definitely going to roll forgets Auburn 4 years ago dominating the line of scrimmage against the Ducks. Ohio St. is built pretty similarly on both sides of the ball.

Knowing Elvis meant Auburn, I'll pat myself on back.

The one misnomer that I've seen put out there is that spread teams can't win the big one. Well, Urban Meyer's offense is the very definition of spread. They may not be thw warp speed HUNH of Oregon, but they run a lot of plays, too.

College football is still built from inside out. You could probably go back through the whole BCS era and identify the winning team based on who had the best OL and DL talent.

wavedukefan70s
01-13-2015, 01:44 PM
I think the turning point came on the third down drop.it possibly could have led to a oregon td drive.14 to 0 changes the game entirely.

Billy Dat
01-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Actually, the first dropped pass (when it was 7-0 Oregon) was on a 3rd and 3. And you've got the other 3rd down with the no-flag on a blatant DPI in the first quarter. Plus, Oregon's MO all year was forcing turnovers so I'm not as quick to equate the OSU fumbles to those early dropped passes, the missed DPI, and the favorable spot on OSU's first 4th down conversion where they went on to score their first TD. To be honest, looking at that one multiple times on replay, I don't think OSU got it. But they got a favorable spot that allowed them literally just enough inches to get the first down. But whatever. Those are just the early things that all went the Buckeyes' way that I believe changed the course of the entire game and probably cost the Ducks a really great chance at winning that game and a championship.

Gary, I certainly agree with you that the game could have gone differently. In fact, at 21-20 OSU with 6:30 left in the 3rd, I was waiting for Oregon to make their decisive move and punish OSU for all those turnovers. But, OSU closed that 3rd Q on that big drive, OSU went 3 and out, the subsequent monster OSU drive ate the majority of the 4th and that's ballgame.

But, I agree that until it officially hit 28-20 with 10 minutes left in the 4th, I thought Oregon was going to win.

_Gary
01-13-2015, 01:47 PM
I think the turning point came on the third down drop.it possibly could have led to a oregon td drive.14 to 0 changes the game entirely.

Thank you. Sometimes games really do turn in the first quarter and not the third or fourth quarter. If Oregon goes up 14-0 everything changes. But to each his own.

_Gary
01-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Gary, I certainly agree with you that the game could have gone differently. In fact, at 21-20 OSU with 6:30 left in the 3rd, I was waiting for Oregon to make their decisive move and punish OSU for all those turnovers. But, OSU closed that 3rd Q on that big drive, OSU went 3 and out, the subsequent monster OSU drive ate the majority of the 4th and that's ballgame.

But, I agree that until it officially hit 28-20 with 10 minutes left in the 4th, I thought Oregon was going to win.

Agreed. As poorly as I think Oregon played offensively through three quarters (heck, I didn't even mention the easy missed pass by Mariota on 3rd and 4 in the red zone where they had to settle for their first field goal in the 2nd quarter), they still had a chance in the game going into the 4th. But there's no doubt OSU put their foot on the pedal and won that last quarter decisively. I'm simply saying before that last quarter I thought Oregon had done far more damage to themselves that OSU had (especially on the offensive side of the ball).

Mike Corey
01-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Thank you. Sometimes games really do turn in the first quarter and not the third or fourth quarter. If Oregon goes up 14-0 everything changes. But to each his own.

Respectfully, games turn throughout the course of the game. If Oregon converts on fourth and goal, or if Oregon's receiver gets his foot down in the end zone, everything changes again. Yes, the dropped passes made a difference. But I have more respect for Oregon's program than to think the turning point was a dropped pass in the second quarter.

_Gary
01-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Respectfully, games turn throughout the course of the game. If Oregon converts on fourth and goal, or if Oregon's receiver gets his foot down in the end zone, everything changes again. Yes, the dropped passes made a difference. But I have more respect for Oregon's program than to think the turning point was a dropped pass in the second quarter.

We'll agree to disagree. And it's not just one drop. It's two (both on 3rd downs in the first quarter before OSU had shown any ability to slow them down) AND a DPI no-call on yet another 3rd down in the first. I believe those three plays absolutely changed the outcome of the game. And my bigger point is that OSU had nothing to do with any of them other than happening to be on the field.

Mike Corey
01-13-2015, 02:06 PM
We'll agree to disagree. And it's not just one drop. It's two (both on 3rd downs in the first quarter before OSU had shown any ability to slow them down) AND a DPI no-call on yet another 3rd down in the first. I believe those three plays absolutely changed the outcome of the game. And my bigger point is that OSU had nothing to do with any of them other than happening to be on the field.

I understand you believe those were important moments, and I don't disagree that they were important. My beef is that this wasn't a one-sided infliction of mistakes; if the dropped passes were significant, so too were the fumbled handoff that Oregon had nothing to do with, the ball that Cardale lost control of before firing a pass, and the interception that bounced out of a receiver's chest into the defender's hands. But yes, let's agree to disagree and move on.

Des Esseintes
01-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Sure. 2 dropped passes > 3 unforced turnovers, in terms of what has greater influence deciding the game. Sure.

_Gary
01-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Sure. 2 dropped passes > 3 unforced turnovers, in terms of what has greater influence deciding the game. Sure.

Sorry. Don't mean to offend OSU fans. Please don't anyone come to my neighborhood and light my garbage cans on fire or pull down the goalposts in my front yard. ;)

Peace.

Out.

Kfanarmy
01-13-2015, 02:44 PM
I also think early game mistakes had a greater effect on Oregon than on OSU. Oregon's offense tends to be like a jet engine: the turbines (scheme and speed) have to get spinning before that team can really lift off...It just never quite got there in the first half, two drops and a bad call...almost, but not quite. OSUs offense is a bit more like a big diesel, its power is derived from huge pistons (O Line) that is less effected by single mistakes...IMO

mr. synellinden
01-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Football is still built from inside out. You could probably go back through the whole BCS era and identify the winning team based on who had the best OL and DL talent.

No need to distinguish college and pro - I think it's true for both.

JasonEvans
01-13-2015, 03:05 PM

You know what is crazy? Up until this year, the national title game would have been Alabama and FSU. There's no way an undefeated, defending national champ in FSU would have been kept out of the BCS title game and Bama was perceived as the best of the 1-loss teams. We would likely have seen OSU blow the doors off Oregon and merely thought, "well, they are clearly the #3 team in the land."

As for the talk that Cardale Jones is considering turning pro, don't forget that he is a 22-year old soph, older than many of the QBs (including Manziel) who were drafted in last year's draft. He also just had a kid a few months ago and is the guy who tweeted during his freshman year about how he was at OSU to play football, not take classes. So, this is a kid who has had pro football on his mind for a long time and, with a new family, he needs the money soon as he can get it.

There is talk he would be a 3rd or 4th round draft pick because the NFL is enamored of his arm strength and size. The word is that NFL scouts are comparing him to Joe Flacco, another big (both are 6-5/6 245-250), strong armed QB who had limited college success (Flacco could not get on the field at Pitt but played at much smaller Delaware) but had NFL tools. when you watch the effortless way Jones flings the ball around the field, you can see why the NFL is intrigued. I could see a team with an aging, established QB wanting to teach Jones for a couple years before handing him the job. I could certainly imagine Jones flinging the ball downfield to Demarius Thomas or Dez Bryant in a couple season in Denver or Dallas.

So, I think Jones will go pro. He will probably wow the scouts at the combine, as he is clearly a physical beast. Good luck to him.

-Jason "I doubt Jones' decision impacts Braxton Miller at all as Miller is still seen as being behind soph-to-be JT Barrett" Evans

Mike Corey
01-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Whatever Jones does, he's secured himself a position in college football lore.

Here's hoping next year's championship pits Duke and Ohio State, with the game ending in a tie awarding the championship to both teams. :)

A-Tex Devil
01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
-Jason "I doubt Jones' decision impacts Braxton Miller at all as Miller is still seen as being behind soph-to-be JT Barrett" Evans

Speaking of going pro, it's pretty crappy that Jones and Mariota have 2 days to decide, especially Jones. They should push the decision date out at least a week after the season is over.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Speaking of going pro, it's pretty crappy that Jones and Mariota have 2 days to decide, especially Jones. They should push the decision date out at least a week after the season is over.

I am assuming that they did not adjust the rule even though the final game was a week later than it was in the past. Maybe not, though.

Is that an NCAA rule I assume and not an NFL requirement?

A-Tex Devil
01-13-2015, 03:36 PM
I am assuming that they did not adjust the rule even though the final game was a week later than it was in the past. Maybe not, though.

Is that an NCAA rule I assume and not an NFL requirement?

It has to be some kind of NFL requirement. If the NFL deadline was later than the NCAA's, the kids don't necessarily need to adhere to the NCAA deadline.

JasonEvans
01-13-2015, 03:49 PM
It has to be some kind of NFL requirement. If the NFL deadline was later than the NCAA's, the kids don't necessarily need to adhere to the NCAA deadline.

Ummm, he has to adhere to NCAA deadlines if he wants to ever play NCAA football again. That said, I believe the deadline is a joint thing for both the NCAA and the NFL.

Kfanarmy
01-13-2015, 04:13 PM
You know what is crazy? Up until this year, the national title game would have been Alabama and FSU. There's no way an undefeated, defending national champ in FSU would have been kept out of the BCS title game and Bama was perceived as the best of the 1-loss teams. We would likely have seen OSU blow the doors off Oregon and merely thought, "well, they are clearly the #3 team in the land."

Yep...what year was it that Alabama, having lost to LSU in the SEC West, didn't play in the SEC Championship, and because they (were idle) hadn't lost since LSU beat them, they got to play a rematch for the NCAA Championship. Essentially LSU had to win two in a row against Bama to win the NCAA title, Bama had to go 1-1 against LSU to win it....no one else got consideration. What a broke ___ model. The BCS system, was dependent on two polls that are routinely over-represented by east coast participation (writers and coaches). So whomever could make it through the SEC with the best record was generally given a pass to the NCAA Championship, whether they (the conference) played anyone else all year. SEC teams routinely had home field advantage in the title game, and other bowls for that matter, because the bowls are all held in the South. Second worst-ever system. First was letting people vote on the championship. Glad someone else got to play!

A-Tex Devil
01-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Ummm, he has to adhere to NCAA deadlines if he wants to ever play NCAA football again. That said, I believe the deadline is a joint thing for both the NCAA and the NFL.

I meant that if he tells his team "I'm staying" before an earlier NCAA deadline but really has another week or two to make the decision for an NFL deadline, then the NCAA deadline doesn't really matter. Hence the upcoming deadline is definitely an NFL deadline (and as you point out, may be NCAA as well, because, why not?)

Point being, the only declaration deadline that matters is the NFL. If the NFL wanted to move out its deadline all the way out to the eve of the draft, players would have until then to make a final decision whether to go or not. The NCAA can't ask a player to decide to stay than have any recourse if a player changes his mind (if they decide to leave, that's a different story).

Do they still have the supplemental draft?

moonpie23
01-13-2015, 04:21 PM
after enjoying this small playoff system, it makes me angry that it's taken so long to even get to this point.....they've been shoveling us manure for years now with the BCS crap.....

let's go ahead and make it 16 starting next year :)

77devil
01-13-2015, 08:09 PM
What do Maryland and Ohio State have in common?

They riot.

SoCalDukeFan
01-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Yep...what year was it that Alabama, having lost to LSU in the SEC West, didn't play in the SEC Championship, and because they (were idle) hadn't lost since LSU beat them, they got to play a rematch for the NCAA Championship. Essentially LSU had to win two in a row against Bama to win the NCAA title, Bama had to go 1-1 against LSU to win it....no one else got consideration. What a broke ___ model. The BCS system, was dependent on two polls that are routinely over-represented by east coast participation (writers and coaches). So whomever could make it through the SEC with the best record was generally given a pass to the NCAA Championship, whether they (the conference) played anyone else all year. SEC teams routinely had home field advantage in the title game, and other bowls for that matter, because the bowls are all held in the South. Second worst-ever system. First was letting people vote on the championship. Glad someone else got to play!

Alabama and Auburn and others in the SEC gamed the BCS. They figured that losses hurt way more than quality wins helped, so reduce the chances for a loss. 8 conference games, so 4 at home and 4 on the road. Then 3 home games against weak teams that have no chaance of winning, then one non conference game in a neutral site against a good team so it looks good. Do that early in the season so a loss won't kill you. Only play 9 real games, only 4 true road games. It was a joke.

Alabama actually had a home and home deal scheduled with a Big 10 team but said they had to drop it because the SEC might go to 9 games. Of course they kept Western Carolina on the schedule. And the SEC stayed with 8.

SoCal

MulletMan
01-14-2015, 01:41 AM

So this statement really colors pretty much everything else you say in this post and through out the remainder of the thread. You don't want to give OSU credit when credit is due. Period. I don't know what buckeye pissed in your cornflakes, but to suggest that, after what we've seen in the past two weeks that Ohio State should have been left out of the playoff and TCU should have been in is absolutely ridiculous.

You think Oregon was OSU won because Oregon dropped a couple of passes that had no involvement from the OSU defenders? I think Oregon was in the game because OSU dropped the ball on the turf 3 times without nary a bit of involvement from Oregon other than falling on the ball. On exactly what drive did Oregon's D stop Ohio State? Maybe on the play where the safety knocked the ball free from the Thomas on the sideline. Other than that? Not at all. Ohio State dominated the game and only kept Oregon in it with self inflicted wounds.

Ohio State has taken a lot of crap over the past decade. But no, sir. Not this time. This was a dominant team that took down #1 and #2 in the course of 12 days. The deserved to be there, and to say that they won because of a couple of dropped passes is patently ridiculous. Ohio State won the playoff and is the champion. Enjoy that for the next 7 months.

Dramatic.

End.

Of.

Post.

werperry
01-14-2015, 09:44 AM

Perhaps the Wisconsin win over Auburn, or the MSU win over Baylor will further validate the Big10?

:rolleyes:

A-Tex Devil
01-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Alabama and Auburn and others in the SEC gamed the BCS. They figured that losses hurt way more than quality wins helped, so reduce the chances for a loss. 8 conference games, so 4 at home and 4 on the road. Then 3 home games against weak teams that have no chaance of winning, then one non conference game in a neutral site against a good team so it looks good. Do that early in the season so a loss won't kill you. Only play 9 real games, only 4 true road games. It was a joke.

Alabama actually had a home and home deal scheduled with a Big 10 team but said they had to drop it because the SEC might go to 9 games. Of course they kept Western Carolina on the schedule. And the SEC stayed with 8.

SoCal

This x100, especially in waning years of BCS. Conferences need to come to agreement that each will play 9 game conference schedule, 1 non-con has to be against another P5 team, one has to be true road game, and no more than 1 FCS team every three years. That latter one is a necessary evil to keep FCS teams afloat.

Kfanarmy
01-14-2015, 03:32 PM
So this statement really colors pretty much everything else you say in this post and through out the remainder of the thread. You don't want to give OSU credit when credit is due. Period. I don't know what buckeye pissed in your cornflakes, but to suggest that, after what we've seen in the past two weeks that Ohio State should have been left out of the playoff and TCU should have been in is absolutely ridiculous.

You think Oregon was OSU won because Oregon dropped a couple of passes that had no involvement from the OSU defenders? I think Oregon was in the game because OSU dropped the ball on the turf 3 times without nary a bit of involvement from Oregon other than falling on the ball. On exactly what drive did Oregon's D stop Ohio State? Maybe on the play where the safety knocked the ball free from the Thomas on the sideline. Other than that? Not at all. Ohio State dominated the game and only kept Oregon in it with self inflicted wounds.

Ohio State has taken a lot of crap over the past decade. But no, sir. Not this time. This was a dominant team that took down #1 and #2 in the course of 12 days. The deserved to be there, and to say that they won because of a couple of dropped passes is patently ridiculous. Ohio State won the playoff and is the champion. Enjoy that for the next 7 months.

Dramatic.

End.

Of.

Post.

It is a bit ironic that an OSU fan, whose team would have been on the outside looking in with Oregon, under the BCS system, would argue that a win/wins proves they deserved to be in the championship tourney to start with. That is the old SEC BCS argument...we won so we must be the best. TCU had an argument, and I think just as valid as OSUs, to be in the tourney. Unfortunately there are only so many (4 this time) teams in the tourney, so someone is going to be left out. Not saying OSU didn't earn the championship, but agree that TCU "might" have had the same or better results. They didn't get a chance, because of human polls which are biased to the big schools, even within conferences. Congrats to OSU, doesn't mean TCU wasn't just as deserving of the opportunity.

MulletMan
01-14-2015, 03:43 PM
It is a bit ironic that an OSU fan, whose team would have been on the outside looking in with Oregon, under the BCS system, would argue that a win/wins proves they deserved to be in the championship tourney to start with. That is the old SEC BCS argument...we won so we must be the best. TCU had an argument, and I think just as valid as OSUs, to be in the tourney. Unfortunately there are only so many (4 this time) teams in the tourney, so someone is going to be left out. Not saying OSU didn't earn the championship, but agree that TCU "might" have had the same or better results. They didn't get a chance, because of human polls which are biased to the big schools, even within conferences. Congrats to OSU, doesn't mean TCU wasn't just as deserving of the opportunity.

Agreed, but the assertion in the the original post was that after all the games were played, TCU deserved to be in and OSU didn't. Even if you thought that TCU deserved to be in over OSU three weeks ago, and if you still think that TCU deserved a shot today, you can't possible say they deserved to be in over OSU. Maybe one of the other schools, but not OSU.

Kfanarmy
01-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Agreed, but the assertion in the the original post was that after all the games were played, TCU deserved to be in and OSU didn't. Even if you thought that TCU deserved to be in over OSU three weeks ago, and if you still think that TCU deserved a shot today, you can't possible say they deserved to be in over OSU. Maybe one of the other schools, but not OSU.

There is probably a bit of understandable bitterness there that is miss aimed at OSU, no?

MulletMan
01-14-2015, 04:08 PM
There is probably a bit of understandable bitterness there that is miss aimed at OSU, no?

Color me oblivious. In all honesty, I realized long ago that, with a few exceptions, I am terrible at keeping track of who has what person biases. Viking Guy could always remember the slightest details about DBR posters... I could not.

luvdahops
01-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Perhaps the Wisconsin win over Auburn, or the MSU win over Baylor will further validate the Big10?

:rolleyes:

And in both cases, Big 10 running backs (Gordon, Langford) ran wild against supposedly speedier and more athletic opponents, as did Elliott in the 2 OSU playoff games. Also bear in mind that the Big10 went 2-0 head to head against the ACC this bowl season, albeit in undercard games.