PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Fla St 74, Duke 58

wandalee
01-10-2015, 05:17 PM
WBB at Florida St tomorrow at 1:00. The game is on RSN (Fox Sports South here in Durham) and ESPN3.

JBDuke
01-10-2015, 05:34 PM
It's on Comcast Mid-Atlantic here in the DC metro area. (Also, I assume, up through Philly and in most of Virginia.)

Kedsy
01-11-2015, 12:04 AM
It's on Comcast Mid-Atlantic here in the DC metro area. (Also, I assume, up through Philly and in most of Virginia.)

Last I checked it's on pay-per-view here in Phila (Comcast). I plan to watch it via ESPN3.

DevilWearsPrada
01-11-2015, 01:40 PM
The Girls game is on Fox Sports in NC.
I was watching the game, until the boys tipped. Flipping over to see the score.
Double Hoops Day for Duke !

AIM4excellence
01-11-2015, 03:10 PM
The Girls game is on Fox Sports in NC.
I was watching the game, until the boys tipped. Flipping over to see the score.
Double Hoops Day for Duke !

Women go down in flames 74-58 as men are behind NC State by 12.

CameronBornAndBred
01-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Ugly rebounding. FSU sets (or tied at least) school record for attempted threes. They weren't all going in, but it sure did feel like it.
Way too many turnovers, too. How can we get out rebounded so badly, and have such a height advantage? Uggh. (I know the answer, but still, gotta ask.)
We gotta want the ball far more than we are showing.

burnspbesq
01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
It's not an excuse, but it's gotta be said: the officiating was horrible, and systematically favored FSU.

DevilWearsPrada
01-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Did anyone see Asst Coach Al Brown ? I never saw him on the bench on in Time outs. Always look for the nice sweaters.

NEXT PLAY

AIM4excellence
01-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Ugly rebounding. FSU sets (or tied at least) school record for attempted threes. They weren't all going in, but it sure did feel like it.
Way too many turnovers, too. How can we get out rebounded so badly, and have such a height advantage? Uggh. (I know the answer, but still, gotta ask.)
We gotta want the ball far more than we are showing.

Notice a trend? Half of Syracuse shots were 3 pointers. And now F.State. This Duke team has horrible chemistry right now. A player comes out of the game and nobody greets them. Becca gets ball handling duties when KJ goes out with fouls. Not only can she not score (no buckets second half) but she's exhausted during FSU rally to end the game. Outrebounded 38-28. None of this is due to poor officiating. Duke players are out of rhythm, not moving their feet and trying to play defense with their hands/arms instead.

On to the next game. V.Tech comes to town Thursday.

Duvall
01-11-2015, 05:03 PM
It's not an excuse, but it's gotta be said: the officiating was horrible, and systematically favored FSU.

It doesn't *have* to be said. That way lies NC State-like paranoia.

burnspbesq
01-11-2015, 08:17 PM
It doesn't *have* to be said. That way lies NC State-like paranoia.

No, that way lies an understanding (at least a partial understanding) of why we lost.

If you disagree that the officiating was horrible, or if you disagree that it was horrible in ways that systematically favored FSU, please say so. I'll re-watch the game and come back with a list of specific bad calls and we can work our way through our areas of disagreement. But only the mods get to decide what can or can't be said here.

burnspbesq
01-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Notice a trend?.

The trend is that Duke's defense allows hardly anything inside the arc, and most of the time both Cuse and FSU settled for bad threes early in possessions; that's why both teams percentages from three were miserable.

The handful of times that FSU was patient and forced the defense to rotate more than once, they got open threes (mostly from the corners).

That's not news. Anybody who has been paying attention has known since at least 2004 that that's the way to attack the zone that McCallie likes to play. It is what it is.

-jk
01-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Well, OK then, a Mod here:

Calling folks out for Terping is reasonable.

A team must adapt to the refs - at any level (and I get that Women's hoops doesn't always get the best and brightest). And Lord knows I wish it were otherwise. Well, me and some other Natty-worthy Duke teams over the years... But the refs always get the final call.

Or as my kids learned in preschool - "You get what you get and you don't get upset". Refs sometimes suck. What can you do? We can't get them all fired (though I'd love to have seen Karl in Raleigh today; he never fears angering a home crowd - just ask 'em). So we can blame the refs or deal with them. And blaming 'em won't get us anywhere.

If you want to get a qualified ref to take the game apart, please do (paging Playcaller!). Otherwise, blaming the refs is a really weak argument after a tough loss.

-jk

uh_no
01-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Otherwise, blaming the refs is a really weak argument after a tough loss.

-jk

Especially when the team hasn't been playing especially well and the opponent is extremely respectable....they're 15-2, and came within 6 of ND. should be ranked IMO.

It wasn't the refs who gave up 18 offensive rebounds 25 turnovers and lead to a 62-45 shot discrepancy.

throatybeard
01-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Sue Semrau is a genuine thorn in our side.

AIM4excellence
01-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Especially when the team hasn't been playing especially well and the opponent is extremely respectable....they're 15-2, and came within 6 of ND. should be ranked IMO.

It wasn't the refs who gave up 18 offensive rebounds 25 turnovers and lead to a 62-45 shot discrepancy.

Some like to put the blame everywhere except where it belongs. We have not yet heard the reason(s) why Sierra left Duke, but the end result is this team is just not playing well. It could be related to the reason(s) she left or it could all be due to the fact she's no longer on the team. Whatever the reason, there's one person responsible for getting (& keeping) the players on the team and getting the most out of the players. Officials are who they are and have no favorites, though they do tend to "favor" teams who are playing well and getting good position as the teams not playing well are reaching and "flailing."

I have a problem with putting Becca at PG in the second half. She turns the ball over, she gets exhausted and she doesn't get to score much. She was hotter than Hades in the first half and did not score one bucket in the second, when she switched to the point after KJ got into foul trouble. Given there are only three guards (plus Jenna), Mercedes was also on the floor.

msdukie
01-11-2015, 10:56 PM
Did anyone see Asst Coach Al Brown ? I never saw him on the bench on in Time outs. Always look for the nice sweaters.

NEXT PLAY

He had a medical procedure recently per TV and as such still has not been cleared for travel.

Kedsy
01-12-2015, 12:56 AM
I have a problem with putting Becca at PG in the second half. She turns the ball over, she gets exhausted and she doesn't get to score much. She was hotter than Hades in the first half and did not score one bucket in the second, when she switched to the point after KJ got into foul trouble.

This is not accurate. Becca did score one three pointer in the second half. She also got fouled on another three attempt and hit all three free throws.

AIM4excellence
01-12-2015, 08:39 PM
This is not accurate. Becca did score one three pointer in the second half. She also got fouled on another three attempt and hit all three free throws.

Thanks for the correction. She had one bucket in the second half after lighting it up in the first half.