PDA

View Full Version : Christie and the Cowboys

Olympic Fan
01-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Careful not to tread on PPB territory here, but what do you make of Chris Christie's sudden emergence as the No. 1 fan of the Dallas Cowboys?

New Jersey is a divided state when it comes to NFL loyalties -- in the northern part of the state, the great preponderance of fans pull for the Giants, who actually play on Jersey soil. But the southern part of the state belongs to the Eagles, who play just across the Delaware River in Philadelphia.

What do those two fan bases have in common?

They both hate the Cowboys -- a bitter division rival -- with a passion.

And now, the governor of the state is revealed to be a fanatic Cowboy fan, who is flying all over the country to sit in the owners' box and cheer for the team the majority of his constituents hate?

Politics aside, is that a good idea for a politician?

Tom B.
01-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Careful not to tread on PPB territory here, but what do you make of Chris Christie's sudden emergence as the No. 1 fan of the Dallas Cowboys?

New Jersey is a divided state when it comes to NFL loyalties -- in the northern part of the state, the great preponderance of fans pull for the Giants, who actually play on Jersey soil. But the southern part of the state belongs to the Eagles, who play just across the Delaware River in Philadelphia.

And now, the governor of the state is revealed to be a fanatic Cowboy fan, who is flying all over the country to sit in the owners' box and cheer for the team the majority of his constituents hate?

I don't have a good answer to your questions, so I'll just say that Christie's red sweater made him look like a giant tomato.

FerryFor50
01-07-2015, 01:42 PM

I'd say he's made worse decisions than that as governor... maybe it just fits into his "devil may care" persona.

Duvall
01-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Aside the potential ethics questions in a politician accepting tickets and other gifts from someone that does business in his state, this seems like a really weird thing to get upset about.

luvdahops
01-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Aside the potential ethics questions in a politician accepting tickets and other gifts from someone that does business in his state, this seems like a really weird thing to get upset about.

I don't know. I actually respect Christie as a governor (though I don't live in NJ or a neighboring state), and would consider supporting him for POTUS. But I am immediately suspicious of any rabid Cowboy fans who don't reside in/hail from Texas or have any other natural connection to the team. That is just so wrong on so many levels. Especially for someone governing hoards of Giant and Eagle fans.

bjornolf
01-07-2015, 04:21 PM
I don't know. I actually respect Christie as a governor (though I don't live in NJ or a neighboring state), and would consider supporting him for POTUS. But I am immediately suspicious of any rabid Cowboy fans who don't reside in/hail from Texas or have any other natural connection to the team. That is just so wrong on so many levels. Especially for someone governing hoards of Giant and Eagle fans.

So where do Jets fans come from, or are they mythical like unicorns?

duke79
01-07-2015, 04:30 PM

It may not be smart politics on his part but who really cares what team he roots for in pro football? For what's it worth and not really related to this thread, I just don't see him as "presidential timber."

Highlander
So where do Jets fans come from, or are they mythical like unicorns?

According to this map (http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/facebookfandom.jpg), they don't exist.

Blue in the Face
I think it's lame for someone from New Jersey to root for the Cowboys (absent family ties or something, which doesn't apply to Christie). That said, politically, I respect the fact that he stuck to his guns as a Dallas fan when he ran for governor (the revelation of his fandom is certainly nothing recent locally). Pandering to the electorate and abandoning, or pretending to abandon, the team he roots for would be a lot lamer imo. (And I hate the Cowboys).

luvdahops
01-07-2015, 04:42 PM
I think it's lame for someone from New Jersey to root for the Cowboys (absent family ties or something, which doesn't apply to Christie). That said, politically, I respect the fact that he stuck to his guns as a Dallas fan when he ran for governor (the revelation of his fandom is certainly nothing recent locally). Pandering to the electorate and abandoning, or pretending to abandon, the team he roots for would be a lot lamer imo. (And I hate the Cowboys).

That is a fair point and I agree. Christie does not seem to be much of a panderer, which I definitely respect. But I still struggle with the original sin of his unnatural Cowboys fandom.

Henderson
01-07-2015, 05:13 PM

It may not be smart politics on his part but who really cares what team he roots for in pro football?

Texas has more than twice as many electoral votes as New Jersey. If he's really a Cowboys fan, who cares? If it's cynical politicking, I'll just roll my eyes.

77devil
01-07-2015, 05:37 PM

Christie is in his second term. His political journey in NJ is over. Sucking up in Texas is much more important to his political aspirations. It's so cynically obvious but it's politically irrelevant. Christie will never win the Texas primary, but if he were to win the nomination, he'd win Texas in the general election regardless of the opponent on the other side. The attempted hug with Jones was way awkward.

Wander
01-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Consider it to be the opposite of Obama's brackets, which are always boring and conservative as hell. I suspect none of it matters politically, unless you do something inexplicably stupid like calling a Red Sox hero a Yankees fan while running for office in Massachusetts.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2015, 06:37 PM
The attempted hug with Jones was way awkward.

That's my only real take-away. Not Dukakis in a tank, but you'll see that footage a bunch -- and not from his supporters.

He looks like he can put away some ribs, though.

SoCalDukeFan
01-07-2015, 06:45 PM
are both Philadelphia Eagles fans. We have almost exact opposite political perspectives. We do agree on one thing - "Christie is dead to me."

SoCal

davekay1971
01-07-2015, 07:16 PM
I don't have a good answer to your questions, so I'll just say that Christie's red sweater made him look like a giant tomato.

I'll take a politician willing to wear his sports loyalties on his sleeve even though he knows they will be unpopular among his electorate, than the typical politician pretending to give be a huge fan of whatever team his electorate loves. Is it politically stupid? Probably, but it would say more about the voters of NJ than it would say about Christie if he lost votes solely based on his NFL allegiance.

Hating the Cowboys as I do, I find his chosen football loyalty to be disgusting. But I applaud his willingness to be honest about it.

kmspeaks
01-07-2015, 07:35 PM

This was a topic of discussion on sports talk radio in DC this week. As someone who lives about 1300 miles from Dallas but is still surrounded by Cowboy fans who couldn't find the place on a map I've learned to roll my eyes and move on. They never want to discuss their own team or football in general, only the ineptitude of the Redskins. I didn't have an opinion on Christie before, but if I knew him personally he would probably be added to the list of people I unfollow on Facebook because I get tired of reading about the "deadskins".

More intriguing to me is Nationals GM Mike Rizzo's decision to wear a Blackhawks jersey to the Winter Classic. (http://fourleagues.com/nhl/nationals-general-manager-mike-rizzo-wears-blackhawks-jersey-to-winter-classic/) To me that's much more of a "C'mon Man" moment than Christie because Rizzo actually works in sports.

bjornolf
01-07-2015, 08:39 PM
This was a topic of discussion on sports talk radio in DC this week. As someone who lives about 1300 miles from Dallas but is still surrounded by Cowboy fans who couldn't find the place on a map I've learned to roll my eyes and move on. They never want to discuss their own team or football in general, only the ineptitude of the Redskins. I didn't have an opinion on Christie before, but if I knew him personally he would probably be added to the list of people I unfollow on Facebook because I get tired of reading about the "deadskins".

More intriguing to me is Nationals GM Mike Rizzo's decision to wear a Blackhawks jersey to the Winter Classic. (http://fourleagues.com/nhl/nationals-general-manager-mike-rizzo-wears-blackhawks-jersey-to-winter-classic/) To me that's much more of a "C'mon Man" moment than Christie because Rizzo actually works in sports.

Especially since the game was played "in his house" so to speak.

As for the local cowboys fans around DC, all I ever hear them say is "how 'bout them cowboys!" Yick.

Speaking of the Redskins, their hiring today is HUGE! I am more excited about the future than I've been since Joe Gibbs came back. Now, if Dan can just sit back and let him do his thing, I'll be ggwg!

kmspeaks
01-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Especially since the game was played "in his house" so to speak.

As for the local cowboys fans around DC, all I ever hear them say is "how 'bout them cowboys!" Yick.

Speaking of the Redskins, their hiring today is HUGE! I am more excited about the future than I've been since Joe Gibbs came back. Now, if Dan can just sit back and let him do his thing, I'll be ggwg!

I'm excited too but that's a huge if. I'm not holding my breath but here's hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

gotoguy
01-08-2015, 12:00 AM

Mike Rizzo was born in, grew up, went to high school and college in Chicago. Of course he's a Blackhawks fan. Glad to see him wearing the colors.

bjornolf
01-08-2015, 03:41 AM
Mike Rizzo was born in, grew up, went to high school and college in Chicago. Of course he's a Blackhawks fan. Glad to see him wearing the colors.

I know that, and he has every right to, but the Nats took a load of bad press when certain players wore hats from rivals of other teams in the area. As an executive of the team that hosted the event, he could have pulled for them while wearing his usual suit. I'm just saying many fans thought it was a bad look.

Reilly
01-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Sabato on Christie:

"A tongue-in-cheek postscript: After a vigorous debate, the Crystal Ball team has decided not to demote Chris Christie to a lower tier. Christie’s over-the-top performance in Jerry Jones’ box last weekend, with his bear-hugging of Jones and his jumping up and down while squealing like a schoolgirl, infuriated and disgusted millions (our considered estimate). Still, it would be probably unwise, though somewhat just, to take out the nation’s massive dislike of the Dallas Cowboys on Christie. Yet Christie’s demonstrated aversion to Detroit, and his snubbing of New Jersey-area home teams, may earn him the voters’ rebuke in the Lions’ Michigan, the Giants’ and Jets’ New York, and the Eagles’ Pennsylvania."

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-new-world-order/

davekay1971
01-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Here's a link to an amusing article from a conservative website. To my DBR-friends who don't sit on the right side of the political aisle, I can assure you that clicking this link is (1) unlikely to infuriate you; (2) unlikely to put you on any unwelcome Tea Party mailing lists; (3) has no better than a 50:50 chance of getting you audited by the IRS.

Added bonus - video clip of the cringe-inducing one-way Christie-Jones love fest moment itself

Trigger warning - gentle jab at Hillary down at the bottom of the article (I did say this was from a conservative website). Be warned.

Enjoy: http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2015/01/05/lets-talk-about-the-chris-christiejerry-jones-hug-n1938801

JasonEvans
01-08-2015, 10:44 AM
It is worth noting that Christie has apparently been a big Cowboys fan for a long time (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213406/article/chris-christie-dallas-cowboys-my-favorite-nfl-team), since his youth, so it is not like he is some bandwagon jumper. The story goes that he used to attend games and was so poor that he had to park in the far away remote parking lots -- boo hoo, so sad how he suffered. Anyway, Jerry Jones started inviting Christie to games and the two have apparently become friends... as often happens with billionaires and important politicians who can help them secure lucrative government contracts.

In the grand scheme of things, this is obviously pretty minor. I don't think Christie has much of a shot at the GOP nomination, if he were to run (and I think he won't) because he is too moderate on some issues and there are a lot of folks in the party who will never forgive him for saying some nice things about Obama in the wake of Sandy. If Christie were to show some strength as a GOP candidate, his opponents would just show this picture and it would be all over...

http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/christie-obama.jpeg

-Jason "word is, Christie will be in the owners box (at Jerry's expense) again this weekend in Green Bay" Evans

davekay1971
01-08-2015, 12:58 PM
It is worth noting that Christie has apparently been a big Cowboys fan for a long time (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213406/article/chris-christie-dallas-cowboys-my-favorite-nfl-team), since his youth, so it is not like he is some bandwagon jumper. The story goes that he used to attend games and was so poor that he had to park in the far away remote parking lots -- boo hoo, so sad how he suffered. Anyway, Jerry Jones started inviting Christie to games and the two have apparently become friends... as often happens with billionaires and important politicians who can help them secure lucrative government contracts.

In the grand scheme of things, this is obviously pretty minor. I don't think Christie has much of a shot at the GOP nomination, if he were to run (and I think he won't) because he is too moderate on some issues and there are a lot of folks in the party who will never forgive him for saying some nice things about Obama in the wake of Sandy. If Christie were to show some strength as a GOP candidate, his opponents would just show this picture and it would be all over...

-Jason "word is, Christie will be in the owners box (at Jerry's expense) again this weekend in Green Bay" Evans

Keep that picture handy as an exact opposite of a "separated at birth" picture. I'm not sure I've ever seen two people next to each other, wearing basically the same attire, who look so dis-similar.

JasonEvans
01-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Keep that picture handy as an exact opposite of a "separated at birth" picture. I'm not sure I've ever seen two people next to each other, wearing basically the same attire, who look so dis-similar.

http://travsd.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/way_out_west1.jpg

OldPhiKap
01-08-2015, 03:52 PM

Henderson
01-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Christie needs a Manziere. Or a Bro. Whatever. A little support. Just a little.

If the question is, "Does my butt make my butt look fat," you are having a bad day.

budwom
01-09-2015, 08:43 AM
I just love it when he jumps up and down.

weezie
01-09-2015, 09:25 AM
At first I was beyond steamed but after quiet reflection, I've decided that I might actually now vote for him for dog catcher just to watch him chase after the dogs.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2015, 09:37 AM
I don't care how many times he sits with Jerry Jones -- Christie ain't winning the Texas primary.

If the guy is a life-long Cowboy fan, and he gets the chance to do this, good luck to him. I would do the same. I don't think it moves the political needle much one way or the other although doesn't help at home. But hell, they shut lanes to the GWB for political purposes so this is mild.

As Christie likes to say, "politics ain't throwing bean bags." Especially in Jersey.

Oh, and a minimizer might help. Just sayin', brah.

duke79
01-09-2015, 09:50 AM

When looking at the picture of Christie, the work "svelte" does NOT come to mind......

OldPhiKap
01-09-2015, 09:58 AM
When looking at the picture of Christie, the work "svelte" does NOT come to mind......

"Get in m'belly!"

Henderson
01-09-2015, 10:01 AM
"Get in m'belly!"

I wouldn't go so far as to call the brother fat. I mean, he got a weight problem. What's the [governor] gonna do? He's from Jersey.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2015, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to call the brother fat. I mean, he got a weight problem. What's the [governor] gonna do? He's from Jersey.

Give the Governor a harrumph!"

(Tarantino to Brooks may strip the gears, though)

Henderson
01-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Give the Governor a harrumph!"

But you wouldn't give him a foot massage, would you? I'll bet he and Jerry have exchanged foot massages though. And you thought 'The Hug' was a disturbing image.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2015, 10:33 AM
But you wouldn't give him a foot massage, would you? I'll bet he and Jerry have exchanged foot massages though. And you thought 'The Hug' was a disturbing image.

Christie's got his technique down and everything, I bet.

budwom
01-10-2015, 10:04 AM
I don't care how many times he sits with Jerry Jones -- Christie ain't winning the Texas primary.

If the guy is a life-long Cowboy fan, and he gets the chance to do this, good luck to him. I would do the same. I don't think it moves the political needle much one way or the other although doesn't help at home. But hell, they shut lanes to the GWB for political purposes so this is mild.

As Christie likes to say, "politics ain't throwing bean bags." Especially in Jersey.

Oh, and a minimizer might help. Just sayin', brah.

speaking of the GWB, he could rename it the George W. Bush bridge and curry even more Lone Star favor!

OldPhiKap
01-10-2015, 10:20 AM
speaking of the GWB, he could rename it the George W. Bush bridge and curry even more Lone Star favor!

Jeb may have something to say about that. ;-)

davekay1971
01-10-2015, 10:43 AM

Of course, optics and perception frequently mean more in politics than reality. All politicians like to generate an "I'm just one of the people" persona, even though most of them know about as much about life as a common citizen as they do about life on a planet in on the far side of the galaxy. Christie doing happy dances with an unpopular fabulously wealthy guy punches a hole in his regular-guy schtick, and people could hold it against him the same way Hillary got criticized for her silly "flat broke" schtick and Jeb Bush caught a little flack recently for making his "I'm thinking about thinking about exploring the possibility of running" announcement in front of a New York financial house. Will any of that move the needle much? Sadly, given the average American voter, it's as likely to move the needle as actual policy positions and prior performance in government.

weezie
01-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Were there any shots of the Guv dancing on ice?

brevity
01-11-2015, 05:09 PM
We should just let the NFL decide the 2016 primaries.

Paul Ryan
✔ @PRyan

@GovChristie, do you need a hug now? #GoPackGo #WinninginWisco
3:11 PM - 11 Jan 2015

YmoBeThere
01-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Dang, I was hoping this was going to be about Christie Brinkley...

bjornolf
01-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Dang, I was hoping this was going to be about Christie Brinkley...

Well, the photos would have been a lot easier on the eyes.