PDA

View Full Version : Noted Duke hater and AP voter Ron Morris has been at it all season...

mck10
01-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Take a look at the voting record for Duke in each poll this season: http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/du4/2014

Does one name jump out? Ron Morris of The State, Columbia, SC has been singularly responsible for Duke's lowest-ranked vote in every AP poll since the season began. He had us ranked at 8th, 4 spots lower than any other voter, as recently as December 1. What's this guy's deal? I know in the grand scheme of things this matters not, but it's still pretty ridiculous.

Ultrarunner
01-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Take a look at the voting record for Duke in each poll this season: http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/du4/2014

Does one name jump out? Ron Morris of The State, Columbia, SC has been singularly responsible for Duke's lowest-ranked vote in every AP poll since the season began. He had us ranked at 8th, 4 spots lower than any other voter, as recently as December 1. What's this guy's deal? I know in the grand scheme of things this matters not, but it's still pretty ridiculous.

Maybe after the end of last season, he's being cautious. No worries, we play it out on the court.

Reilly
01-06-2015, 07:46 PM
So this is your first post ever? Should be interesting.

Bought a signed copy of the 40th anniversary history of the ACC from Morris in the Bryan Center. Know Spurrier had issues w/ him. Reading him when he worked for the Durham paper in the late 1980s, I don't recall any Duke hate.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Meh. I could argue for us being 3 now behind UVa if I had to, and if someone wants to rank a team starting three freshman somewhat lower early in the season I am okay. Prove 'em wrong on the court.

Never knew he was a "noted Duke hater," never even heard of him.

Olympic Fan
01-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Never knew he was a "noted Duke hater," never even heard of him.

Ron was the sports editor of the Durham Herald from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s. He's also the author of an exceptional history of the ACC (in 1988). His father was a noted play-by-play man who was voice of the Blue Devils for at least one year in the mid-1970s after Add Penfield and before Bob Harris took over.

Ron is held in very high regard in media circles. Steve Spurrier on the other hand, hates his guts and tried to get him fired. Spurrier also tried to ban Morris from covering South Carolina football (basically for writing a mildly critical column that second-guessed a Spurrier coaching move).

I've never heard Morris described as a Duke hater. I don't agree with his vote in the poll this year, but who cares. It's not like football, where the rankings matter (or did in the BCS era).

brevity
01-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Ron was the sports editor of the Durham Herald from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s.

So he was in charge during the 1991-1992 season, when Christian Laettner called his paper the "little Durham Morning Herald"? That would explain it.

Put me at the low end of the outrage meter. It's not like his vote is keeping Duke out of #1.

mck10
01-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Fair enough. I should have said "apparent Duke hater" or at least "doubter". I swear I remember him chronically under-ranking us in previous years too. I definitely did not know he previously lived and worked in Durham, which is an interesting wrinkle to the story.

Henderson
01-06-2015, 11:47 PM
I might need a refresher on what "hate" means, not just for this thread.

gam7
01-07-2015, 03:25 AM

If he started out the season as Duke's lowest-ranked vote, then it's not too surprising that he's been responsible for Duke's lowest ranked vote in every AP poll this season...

OldPhiKap
01-07-2015, 07:26 AM
I might need a refresher on what "hate" means, not just for this thread.

Perhaps this helps get you started:

Or this:

cf-62
01-07-2015, 07:28 AM
In reality, this week is his only "questionable" vote, and it's not really that unreasonable. He had Nova 2 (reasonable) and us 3. When Nova lost, he jumped undefeated UVA to 2. Let's see, UVA beat us the last time we played, and they are absolutely KILLING people, while we find our way through the throes of a young team. Yes, we've won every game by 10+, but while we beat our mid-major guarantee games by 15 - 20, UVA was holding Harvard to 8 points at half -- and beating people by 40+ points.

slower
01-07-2015, 07:32 AM
I knew Ron when he lived in Durham. He's a really good guy. I don't recall any particular Duke "hate" on his part.

jv001
01-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Ron was the sports editor of the Durham Herald from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s. He's also the author of an exceptional history of the ACC (in 1988). His father was a noted play-by-play man who was voice of the Blue Devils for at least one year in the mid-1970s after Add Penfield and before Bob Harris took over.

Ron is held in very high regard in media circles. Steve Spurrier on the other hand, hates his guts and tried to get him fired. Spurrier also tried to ban Morris from covering South Carolina football (basically for writing a mildly critical column that second-guessed a Spurrier coaching move).

I've never heard Morris described as a Duke hater. I don't agree with his vote in the poll this year, but who cares. It's not like football, where the rankings matter (or did in the BCS era).

Let's just change his mind with a hot run through the ACC regular season. I agree Duke hater may be too strong. Beat Wake! GoDuke!!

hurleyfor3
01-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Oh, no! Someone on the internet has a different opinion from us! We must attack at dawn!

Bluedog
01-07-2015, 08:32 AM
In reality, this week is his only "questionable" vote, and it's not really that unreasonable. He had Nova 2 (reasonable) and us 3. When Nova lost, he jumped undefeated UVA to 2. Let's see, UVA beat us the last time we played, and they are absolutely KILLING people, while we find our way through the throes of a young team. Yes, we've won every game by 10+, but while we beat our mid-major guarantee games by 15 - 20, UVA was holding Harvard to 8 points at half -- and beating people by 40+ points.

Didn't they just defeat Miami in double overtime? I wouldn't call that killing people. Having said that, I'm not concerned with a particular AP voter.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Oh, no! Someone on the internet has a different opinion from us! We must attack at dawn!
H43 wins this thread. Lock it up.

killerleft
01-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Kick Morris out. Steve Spurrier should have his vote!:)

JasonEvans
01-07-2015, 08:55 AM

http://rs1img.memecdn.com/and-remember-kids-your-opinion-is-never-welcome-to-the-internet-unless-it-is-about-you-being-agreed-with-other-people-opinion_o_2954689.jpg http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/9c/9cbbb74eb069e65b597948c7656cc6faf7ad3c007857612568 715f8c867276f3.jpg
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/287/278/3e5.jpg http://sadmoment.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Putting-Your-Opinion-Out-On-The-Internet-Is-Frowned-Upon-Meme.png

Scorp4me
01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
I have no clue what you did to wrong so many people in a past life mck10, but apparently they are pissed and they are getting back at you. The irony in this thread is kind of high.

That being said, the original poster makes a good point that in the grand scheme of things it means little. And after reading all of the responses I was set to agree that there's nothing to see here. He started us low so we're still low, we start freshman, prove it first, yada yada yada. Then I clicked on the link and saw that...there is something to see. Even if it's just comical, it's an interesting link. He may turn out to be the only one right (in fact probably will), but right now he looks a little silly lol.

hurleyfor3
01-07-2015, 12:09 PM
This one too. (http://xkcd.com/386/)

FerryFor50
01-07-2015, 12:16 PM

elvis14
01-07-2015, 04:20 PM

As I read the OP's post and the subsequent replies my first impression was that mck10 was being a bit to sensitive or something like that. Then I followed the link he gives and actually looked at the list. When you look at it in the format it's presented Morris really does seem like the odd ball and I can understand why one would wonder if there was something more (like Duke hate) in play.

alteran
01-07-2015, 04:54 PM
As I read the OP's post and the subsequent replies my first impression was that mck10 was being a bit to sensitive or something like that. Then I followed the link he gives and actually looked at the list. When you look at it in the format it's presented Morris really does seem like the odd ball and I can understand why one would wonder if there was something more (like Duke hate) in play.

It's nothing to get in a twist over, but it is pretty funny to scroll past every single name in the poll and then see that one hanging out by itself, week after week.

Clearly, he sees something in the team he doesn't like. Or maybe, to be fair, he's noticed some underperformance from us the last couple years and thinks there's something going on.

Or maybe it's just karmic payback for/to Spurrier.

We'll find out who's right soon enough.

Duvall
01-07-2015, 05:00 PM
We'll find out who's right soon enough.

Well he only has Duke behind Kentucky and Virginia so...3 1/2 weeks?

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Kentucky was wondering who in the coaches poll kept Voting Duke number one over them. It was Woffords coach all along, that sneaky snook.

wavedukefan70s
01-08-2015, 08:04 PM
To be honest the state paper.well our state paper
Put out a list of top highschool football players of all time that caused a uproar.whatever they have to do to keep you reading I guess.

weezie
01-08-2015, 08:50 PM

Why always dawn? Can't we just sneak in right before lunch? Gosh, dawn just makes me look forward to a nap.

brevity
01-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Pretty sure everyone will rank Kentucky and Virginia ahead of Duke now.

Ron Morris 1, mck10 zero.

uh_no
01-11-2015, 05:17 PM

/thread

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-11-2015, 06:18 PM

What? Where will I focus my indignant outrage?

hurleyfor3
01-12-2015, 12:35 AM
What? Where will I focus my indignant outrage?

There's always Doug Gottlieb.

jv001
01-12-2015, 08:06 AM

Looks like ESPN made the right choice of not having Duke vs. Louisville for GameDay. 1000 will come K's way soon enough. GoDuke!

slower
01-12-2015, 09:11 AM

Pretty sure they'll rank some other teams ahead of us, as well.

weezie
01-12-2015, 03:26 PM
^ ^ ^ That's a good one, lol.

Oh who cares what some dweeb in SC says anyway. Nobody ever won a Nobel Prize for sports blather.

freshmanjs
01-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Pretty sure they'll rank some other teams ahead of us, as well.

only 1. gonzaga.

JasonEvans
01-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Get this, "Duke hater" Ron Morris kept us at #3 in his ballot. He was among 27 voters who had us third. The other 50 voters had us #4-6. So Morris went from the guy with the least respect for Duke to the guy with the most. So much for him being a hater.

-Jason "Seth Davis also has us #3 this week" Evans

OldPhiKap
01-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Get this, "Duke hater" Ron Morris kept us at #3 in his ballot. He was among 27 voters who had us third. The other 50 voters had us #4-6. So Morris went from the guy with the least respect for Duke to the guy with the most. So much for him being a hater.

-Jason "Seth Davis also has us #3 this week" Evans

So -- who gets our irrational hate this week then?

devildeac
01-13-2015, 09:04 AM

I guess gottlieb is always worthy of a few well-directed, unkind barbs:rolleyes:.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2015, 09:22 AM
I guess gottlieb is always worthy of a few well-directed, unkind barbs:rolleyes:.

I don't have a problem with Gottlieb, alarming unathletic comments aside.

Art Chansky is always on my list but that's rational.

It's a quandary.

weezie
01-13-2015, 09:27 AM

Let's just kill them with inattention, shall we?

Focus your eyes on a vague spot four inches to one side of their heads.
I love doing that! :cool: