PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Finally Addressing Needs of Players and Their Families

JasonEvans
01-06-2015, 02:48 PM
I don't have a link yet, but the NCAA apparently just announced that it would begin providing financial assistance to allow the families of players in the Football Playoff games and the Men's/Women's Basketball Final Four to attend those events. This is wonderful news!

-Jason "Urban Meyer/OSU has been really outspoken on this (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls14/story/_/id/12128478/ohio-state-buckeyes-ad-says-families-need-help-paying-travel-playoffs) and he reportedly was fist pumping at his news conference today when he heard the news" Evans

Henderson
01-06-2015, 03:04 PM
The NCAA is paying? Or allowing school to pay? Linky?

In any event, any sanity is welcome sanity.

The trick is not letting an assistant coach in charge of recruiting to turn sanity to turn it into ugly insanity.

JasonEvans
01-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Here is a link (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/cfp-ncaa-will-reimburse-athletes-families-for-travel/14333393/) to some initial info.

There is something confusing in the story. At one point it says...

The NCAA granted a waiver to the College Football Playoff to provide a reimbursement of up to $1,250 per parent or guardian that will cover hotel accommodations, travel and meals.

But later on it says...

The NCAA will pay up to $3,000 total in travel, hotel and meal expenses for family members of student-athletes who compete in the Final Four. The NCAA will pay up to $4,000 for each of the student-athletes who compete in championship games.

So, is it $1250 or $4000k? It is not clear. Maybe it is $1250 right now but will be $4000 in the future.

-Jason "If I was the parent of a tennis, track, or baseball player who's team made the NCAA championship, I'd be kinda angry right now" Evans

BD80
01-06-2015, 03:52 PM
"Needs" of the players and families?

Paying for them to travel to an overhyped media event and stay in an overpriced hotel for a couple days addresses what "need" exactly?

It may be fair and it is certainly good PR, but it hardly addresses the needs of players or families who are financially disadvantaged.

The cynic in me says this will lead to more players on the final two teams declaring for the draft, with the families getting a taste of the pro lifestyle and increased exposure to agents.

Acymetric
01-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Here is a link (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/cfp-ncaa-will-reimburse-athletes-families-for-travel/14333393/) to some initial info.

There is something confusing in the story. At one point it says...

But later on it says...

So, is it $1250 or $4000k? It is not clear. Maybe it is $1250 right now but will be $4000 in the future.

-Jason "If I was the parent of a tennis, track, or baseball player who's team made the NCAA championship, I'd be kinda angry right now" Evans

The College Football Playoff is now allowed to spend $3000 per family by the NCAA but is choosing to cap it at $1,250 per parent (they don't want to spend the full amount) for a max of $2,500 per family.

For basketball, the NCAA will pay $3,000 per family for the Final 4 and $4,000 per family for those who play in the championship game (I take that to mean an extra grand for the extra two days not an additional $4,000 on top of the $3,000 given for the semifinal).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-06-2015, 05:19 PM
This feels like a good step to me. I am no fan of Urban, but did hear an impassioned appeal regarding parents missing potentially three top tier games (conference championship, 2 round playoff) for financial reasons. That is a big bill to swallow to watch your kid play ball.