PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 1/5-1/11

pfrduke
01-05-2015, 12:09 PM
The ACC went out of the old year with a bit of a whimper. FSU somehow beat Florida (which all the cool kids seem to be doing these days) but lost to Mississippi State, which is probably one of the three worst major conference teams. NC State and Virginia Tech put up poor showings against Cincinnati and West Virginia. And even Virginia was challenged more than maybe it should have been by Davidson. All in all, the conference has gone just .500 against the other major conferences.

Thankfully, though, we can put all the non-conference business behind us. With the exception of some one-offs here and there, everything left is ACC action. This week starts off with some great contests. UNC has a big week ahead, hosting early season frontrunners Notre Dame and Louisville. Duke hits Tobacco Road twice against a Wake Forest team that looked frisky last night against the 'ville and an NC State squad that Duke has had recent trouble with in Raleigh. Notre Dame gets a visit from the Hoos after its trip to UNC. And NC State, which is itself sitting at 2-0, has to contend with both UVA and Duke this week. 7 teams remain undefeated in the conference and those 7 teams have 5 games against each other this week.

Monday

[8]UNC hosts [21]Notre Dame (7:00, ESPN)

Carolina has been running over teams since its loss to Kentucky on the back of perhaps unexpectedly efficient offensive performances. The Irish boast the best offense in the league outside of Durham and have been uncharacteristically effective on defense - not good, mind you, but not the bad Notre Dame defenses of years past. So, expect points in this one.

Tuesday shows the downside of the top of the conference playing each other all week - the bottom of the conference has to match up with each other as well. Virginia Tech vs. Florida State is a display of basketball-like substance that I would not wish on most people. With Pitt at BC, at least there might be some effective offense.

[132]Florida State hosts [180]Virginia Tech (7:00, ESPN3)
[129]Boston College hosts [71]Pittsburgh (9:00, ESPN3)

Wednesday

[2]Virginia hosts [57]NC State (7:00, ESPN)
[84]Georgia Tech hosts [41]Syracuse (7:00, ESPNU)
[121]Wake Forest hosts [3]Duke (9:00, ESPN3)
[6]Louisville hosts [142]Clemson (9:00, ESPN3)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday is highlighted by two matchups of current conference unbeatens (although as a result of the UNC-ND game, at least one of the 4 teams will have a loss before Saturday).

[121]Wake Forest hosts [84]Georgia Tech (12:00, ESPN3)
[71]Pittsburgh hosts [142]Clemson (12:00, ESPN3)
[8]UNC hosts [6]Louisville (2:00, ESPN)
[73]Miami hosts [129]Boston College (4:00, ESPN3)
[21]Notre Dame hosts [2]Virginia (6:00, ESPN2)

Sunday

[57]NC State hosts [3]Duke (1:30, CBS)
[41]Syracuse hosts [132]Florida State (8:00, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 144-45
ACC Record vs. BCS:* 26-26
America East: 6-0
American Athletic: 7-1
Atlantic Sun: 5-1
Atlantic Ten: 11-4
Big 12: 1-3
Big East: 1-7
Big South: 7-3
B1G Ten: 13-8
Big West: 3-1
Colonial: 7-1
Conference USA: 9-0
Horizon: 4-1
Ivy: 3-0
MAAC: 6-1
MAC: 4-0
MEAC: 11-1
Missouri Valley: 0-1
Mountain West: 3-1
Northeast: 5-0
Ohio Valley: 2-1
Pac-12: 2-2
Patriot: 7-0
SEC: 9-6
Southern: 8-1
Southland: 1-0
Summit: 1-0
Sun Belt: 2-1
SWAC: 4-0
WAC: 1-0
Non D-1: 1-0

*refers to Big XII, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC. The AAC is just a completely mediocre basketball conference and crediting wins over the likes of Tulane and South Florida as wins over major conference caliber opponents is just silly. And yes, BCS is now a completely outdated reference derived from an entirely separate sport, but it's handy shorthand.

Bob Green
01-05-2015, 07:14 PM
As expected, lots of scoring in the ND at UNC game. This one should be entertaining.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2015, 07:34 PM
As expected, lots of scoring in the ND at UNC game. This one should be entertaining.

Getting sloppy

Wheat/"/"/"
01-05-2015, 07:45 PM
I hope you guys that don't think Nate Britt is a good player are watching his first half play, especially his defense.

Duvall
01-05-2015, 07:49 PM
I hope you guys that don't think Nate Britt is a good player are watching his first half play, especially his defense.

Well, you certainly shouldn't watch his offense without protective goggles.

CDu
01-05-2015, 08:14 PM

I would say "at least" instead of "especially." Britt is an awful offensive player and a solid defender. He has done nothing to change my mind.

CDu
01-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Aside from the overdiscussion of a thoroughly mediocre backup PG in Britt, I am a little disappointed that Battier keeps calling Joel James a freshman. I mean, I realize he plays like a frost, but he is a junior.

Duvall
01-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the ACC, Jerian.

Wander
01-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Aside from the overdiscussion of a thoroughly mediocre backup PG in Britt, I am a little disappointed that Battier keeps calling Joel James a freshman. I mean, I realize he plays like a frost, but he is a junior.

A lot of discussion on mediocre-to-bad players Britt and James*? Maybe Battier is a regular DBR poster.

*To no one's surprise, these two guys are a combined 0-7 today

OldPhiKap
01-05-2015, 09:04 PM
No good!

Wander
01-05-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm really glad Roy Williams called two timeouts in the last 4 seconds to draw up his coveted "Paige takes a triple-covered three pointer" play.

Duvall
01-05-2015, 09:06 PM
A lot of discussion on mediocre-to-bad players Britt and James*? Maybe Battier is a regular DBR poster.

*To no one's surprise, these two guys are a combined 0-7 today

He's posted before. Maybe he's trolling us.

77devil
01-05-2015, 09:07 PM

Apparently Roy boy didn't think he was good enough to play much in the second half.

Acymetric
01-05-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm really glad Roy Williams called two timeouts in the last 4 seconds to draw up his coveted "Paige takes a triple-covered three pointer" play.

Did anyone notice how loud the crowd got on the tip attempt after time expired? Uh...way too late guys ;)

House G
01-05-2015, 09:08 PM
No good!

Hang on, I think the zebras may add some more time on the clock.

Henderson
01-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth.

arnie
01-05-2015, 09:10 PM

Horrendous coaching move. Berry had the ball speeding toward the basket when Roy iced it inside midcourt. You gotta feel bad for the players when Roy takes it away.

CDu
01-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Horrendous coaching move. Berry had the ball speeding toward the basket when Roy iced it inside midcourt. You gotta feel bad for the players when Roy takes it away.

To be fair to Roy (and I shiver saying that), I wouldn't be thrilled with alast-second 3pt runner/jumper by Berry, either. Of course, the resulting play out of the timeout could have been more creative.

arnie
01-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Apparently Roy boy didn't think he was good enough to play much in the second half.

Yeah Roy didn't fully appreciate Britt's single incredible assist, single voracious rebound or nearly making a single shot out of 4 FG attempts. Roy didn't fully appreciate his incredible D either.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Posted: Today 9:13 PM
Re: GAME THREAD: UNC vs. Notre Dame
Roy can't draw up a play with 35 seconds on the clock. Why try with 1.6 seconds?

arnie
01-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Roy can't draw up a play with 35 seconds on the clock. Why try with 1.6 seconds?

I nominate this as "post of the year". Someone needs to reward that IC poster.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Disappointing loss, but I liked how they played with intensity the whole game. That's been a problem but not tonight. They just didn't play well enough to beat a very good team playing well.

And ND played very well. Give them credit. That's a good team. They can really shoot it and can also get to the rim and finish. They were active and tough defensively, and worked hard on the boards.

I thought the key from UNC's perspective was UNC struggled to finish so many open looks strong at the rim, (a season long issue), ball rolled off the rim all night after a drive. You could see their frustration. They were also committing some unforced TO's at key moments and too many un-necessary fouls that hurt them. They have to get better managing their own play. You can't do that stuff againt good teams.

Britt played very well in the first half with the exception of one forced 3pt shot that he bricked. I noticed him limping around late in the first half so maybe that had something to do with him sitting, but it could have been because Pinson was playing well at the 2g for a long stretch in the 2nd half that Roy could leave Paige at the point. Berry was the better offensive option late when they were behind.

It seemed to me that for some reason Berry didn't go all out to push the ball to mid court for the pre-planned time out, leaving only 1.6 on the clock...a freshman mistake...which didn't give time for the tap in rebound on Paige's miss by Johnson to count.

roywhite
01-05-2015, 09:46 PM
Marcus Paige is clearly their go-to offensive choice down the stretch, but what kind of success is he having?

YTD stats
13.4 Pts/game
37% FG
36.7% 3-Pt
80.4% FT

Compare that to Quinn Cook:
14.5 Pts/game
48.1% FG
39.5% 3-Pt
96.2% FT

OldPhiKap
01-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Marcus Paige is clearly their go-to offensive choice down the stretch, but what kind of success is he having?

YTD stats
13.4 Pts/game
37% FG
36.7% 3-Pt
80.4% FT

14.5 Pts/game
48.1% FG
39.5% 3-Pt
96.2% FT

To be fair, QC is helped a lot by a great post player, a great point guard, a power forward who kicks out rebounds, a small forward with great passing, and a great coach. Paige plays for UNC.

Sorry, what I meant to say was -- Paige is the key object of opposing team's defense; you cannot key on QC because of the other power sharing the floor.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Yeah Roy didn't fully appreciate Britt's single incredible assist, single voracious rebound or nearly making a single shot out of 4 FG attempts. Roy didn't fully appreciate his incredible D either.

ND was killing UNC with back door cuts and spacing for 3's until Roy brought Britt in the first half. He was disruptive defensively and moved the ball well for others to make plays and UNC climbed back in it.

There is more to the game than shooting 3pt shots.

FerryFor50
01-05-2015, 09:50 PM
UNC loses despite some generous home cooking down the stretch.

- Jerian Grant's questionable 5th foul
- a missed Paige travel
- a terrible assumed timeout by the ref on the missed ND FT. Never really had full possession (though a foul could have been called on ND too)

That and Roy a) remembering he has timeouts and b) using them poorly, and you have a satisfying UNC loss to a Duke coaching tree alum. ;)

FerryFor50
01-05-2015, 09:52 PM
ND was killing UNC with back door cuts and spacing for 3's until Roy brought Britt in the first half. He was disruptive defensively and moved the ball well for others to make plays and UNC climbed back in it.

Calling Nate Britt a good player because of his decent defense would be like us calling Tyler Thornton great.

We loved TT, but we were realistic about him.

Bluegrassdevil1
01-05-2015, 09:53 PM
I think that coupled with Notre Dame's grit tonight and in Saturday's double OT with G.T., the stretch of @Wake, @State, home break, @UL, home break, @SJU (recently back at full strength), @ND, and @UVA, will be as heartburn wrenching as any Duke stretch that I can recall in some time.

If the Devils are able to win six January road games, three of which may feature top ten teams, then I do not care if UK wins every game by 70, Duke should get an ample amount of first place votes.

This year's ACC champ is going to earn it.

brevity
01-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Maybe Battier is a regular DBR poster.

He's posted before. Maybe he's trolling us.

Shane Battier doesn't have to post to DBR now that he owns it. What do you think the SB in SB Nation stands for?

CDu
01-05-2015, 09:55 PM

I am pretty sure the team had a negative +/- with Britt on the floor, so I wouldn't say he was making plays to fuel their comeback. But, whatever, you are somehow convinced that Britt is something more than a mediocre backup PG option, so I guess I am not going to be able to change your mind.

77devil
01-05-2015, 09:56 PM
To be fair, QC is helped a lot by a great post player, a great point guard, a power forward who kicks out rebounds, a small forward with great passing, and a great coach. Paige plays for UNC.

Sorry, what I meant to say was -- Paige is the key object of opposing team's defense; you cannot key on QC because of the other power sharing the floor.

Yes, but Paige has Nate Britt on his team so let's call it a draw.

Duvall
01-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Joel James had a +/- of -12 in a one-point loss? That seems...difficult.

CDu
01-05-2015, 09:59 PM

YTD stats
13.4 Pts/game
37% FG
36.7% 3-Pt
80.4% FT

14.5 Pts/game
48.1% FG
39.5% 3-Pt
96.2% FT

It is impressive just how inefficient Paige has been this year. He kind of shot them out of the game down the stretch tonight. Though credit to Battier for noting that UNC's best offense might be a missed shot. So maybe Britt is valuable after all! :)

CDu
01-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Joel James had a +/- of -12 in a one-point loss? That seems...difficult.

It made me laugh that Battier kelt calling James a freshman. James sure played like one.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-05-2015, 10:10 PM
UNC lost this game, but they are getting better.

I'm under no illusions regarding Nate Britt's talent. You guys just have your head in the sand thinking he can't contribute at a high level. Yes, he's undersized and struggles to get to the rim and creating a shot off the dribble. But he does many things very well. Quick hands, quick feet, good decisions with his passes and takes care of the ball with the dribble against the best defenders in the league....and drains his foul shots.

James didn't get his shot to fall tonight but he can score inside. He also defends big players very well.
Tonight wasn't the best match up for him, but he'll prove his value as the season goes along, I have no doubt.

Duke95
01-05-2015, 10:15 PM

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/03/26/1206585858_6683/300h.jpg

Wheat/"/"/"
01-05-2015, 10:17 PM
I am pretty sure the team had a negative +/- with Britt on the floor, so I wouldn't say he was making plays to fuel their comeback.

I doubt that. I'm sure somebody knows where to find that info.

Paige is pressing and teams are loading up on him.

Somebody has to step up and challenge the defense off the dribble to take some pressure off him. I want Tokoto to be more aggressive, or Jackson, but I'm not sure it's in their make up to play that way. They like to react, not create and "let the game come to them".

Pinson showed some of that aggression tonight, but that's asking a lot from him this season as a freshman.

roywhite
01-05-2015, 10:18 PM
UNC lost this game, but they are getting better.

I'm under no illusions regarding Nate Britt's talent. You guys just have your head in the sand thinking he can't contribute at a high level. Yes, he's undersized and struggles to get to the rim and creating a shot off the dribble. But he does many things very well. Quick hands, quick feet, good decisions with his passes and takes care of the ball with the dribble against the best defenders in the league....and drains his foul shots.

What this Tarheel team needs like blood is another backcourt player who can score and shoot well. If Britt could do that, he'd get a ton of minutes and be a big help to the team. Instead, he shoots 37.1% FG and 34.4% 3-Pt, and averages 6 points a game. He doesn't give this team what they need.

CDu
01-05-2015, 10:32 PM
I doubt that. I'm sure somebody knows where to find that info.

Paige is pressing and teams are loading up on him.

Somebody has to step up and challenge the defense off the dribble to take some pressure off him. I want Tokoto to be more aggressive, or Jackson, but I'm not sure it's in their make up to play that way. They like to react, not create and "let the game come to them".

Pinson showed some of that aggression tonight, but that's asking a lot from him this season as a freshman.

Per SCACCHOOPS.com, Britt was a -3. So the team was slightly more productive (+2) with him off the floor than with him on it. As roywhite said, if only Britt could shoot. Maybe then he would actually help the offense take pressure off Paige.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-05-2015, 10:43 PM
What this Tarheel team needs like blood is another backcourt player who can score and shoot well. If Britt could do that, he'd get a ton of minutes and be a big help to the team. Instead, he shoots 37.1% FG and 34.4% 3-Pt, and averages 6 points a game. He doesn't give this team what they need.

I agree.

But Britt is the back up PG. He's a good player but he's not a scorer, I've never argued he is.

I've said all year some scoring help needs to come from the 2g or the SF to help Paige. That means Tokoto, Jackson or Pinson have to step up.

Des Esseintes
01-06-2015, 12:49 AM
Nate Britt News just in. Nate Britt was amazing again today in ways impossible to quantify. This has been Nate Britt News.

mgtr
01-06-2015, 05:26 AM
So, is there a story behind Tokoto's haircut? Is it a "Heel-hawk?" Just seems odd, but I guess he either likes it or lost a bet.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2015, 07:06 AM
So, is there a story behind Tokoto's haircut? Is it a "Heel-hawk?" Just seems odd, but I guess he either likes it or lost a bet.

He's upset that Justise made the all-doo team as a freshman.

ikiru36
01-06-2015, 07:22 AM
He's upset that Justise made the all-doo team as a freshman.

Hate to nitpick but in this case the distinction is important. Let's make that the all-do team for Justise ;o) Now, James Michael Mc... might've been a candidate for the all-doo team. Where's Barry Jacobs when you need him?

throatybeard
01-06-2015, 07:51 AM
Who is throwing us the one first-place vote in the coaches' poll?

I mean, Spurrier's not allowed to vote, right?

jv001
01-06-2015, 08:02 AM

It could be coming from Wisky. Seems to me that the Badgers would want Duke to be ranked #1. Would not look bad on their resume to have lost to the #1 team. GoDuke!

Duvall
01-06-2015, 10:33 AM

Nor John Chaney.

The USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 32 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2014-15 season: Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Randy Bennett, Saint Mary?s; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Todd Bozeman, Morgan State; Glenn Braica, St. Francis Brooklyn; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Scott Cherry, High Point; Tim Cluess, Iona; Ed Conroy, Tulane; Keith Dambrot, Akron; Scott Drew, Baylor; Matt Driscoll, North Florida Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Bruiser Flint, Drexel; Mark Fox, Georgia; John Gallagher, Hartford; Ray Harper, Western Kentucky; Dick Hunsaker, Utah Valley; George Ivory, Arkansas-Pine Bluff; Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Danny Kaspar, Texas State; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Greg McDermott, Creighton; Matt Painter, Purdue; Dave Paulsen, Bucknell; Randy Rahe, Weber State; Joe Scott, Denver; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara; Mike Young, Wofford.

Take your pick.

Philadukie
01-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this, but thank goodness we don't have a Coach that would ever say he's "worried" about his team. And this was said before going into ACC play. Way to give your guys confidence, Roy: http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/01/02/4445421_decock-worried-williams-curious.html?rh=1.

Monmouth77
01-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Every day I see at least one kid in the DC metro station near Wilson high school with that same haircut. It's a thing. The Giants WR phenom Odell Beckham Jr. has the same 'do (with a blond dye job).

jv001
01-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Nor John Chaney.

Take your pick.

I'm not picking the Iona coach, Tim Clueless. I think I'd change my last name. I'll go with Herb Sendek or the Wofford coach. GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
01-06-2015, 12:58 PM

I was going to guess Calipari, who has done his best to soften the "40-0" and "Greatest Team Ever" narrative ... but he's not on the panel. Looking at the list, my guess would be Jim Boeheim, who is K's best friend in the coaching profession AND has to play the Devils twice.

Tom B.
01-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Fixed it for you.

Joel James had a +/- of -12 in only 12 minutes of playing time in a one-point loss? That seems...difficult.

Duvall
01-06-2015, 04:41 PM

The answer. (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-01-06/duke-number-1-no-coaches-poll-mike-young-wofford)

Wofford head coach Mike Young was the lone college coach in the 32-person panel to give anyone but Kentucky his first-place vote. He voted Duke No. 1 overall in the coaches' poll this week.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Mike Young is now my second-favorite coach in the NCAA's.

JasonEvans
01-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Mike Young is now my second-favorite coach in the NCAA's.

Interesting comment (http://bit.ly/IqT6zt) on all this here...

Young confessed he did not actually write Duke on his ballot. "I put, 'Jahlil Okafor and whoever is playing with him,'" said Young. "Apparently, the pollsters knew who I meant."

-Jason " ;) ;) ;) " Evans

OldPhiKap
01-07-2015, 10:34 AM

That explains it -- Jahlil and four DBR posters is probably a top ten team.

I think we are fortunate to have extremely good players at all positions; Jah just warps the court in that you can't play him man-up and you can't double him because of his passing. A group of excellent players, with a guy in the middle who just creates havoc once the ball gets in to him. And, whose presence opens the court up for others.

devildeac
01-07-2015, 02:21 PM
That explains it -- Jahlil and four DBR posters is probably a top ten team.

I think we are fortunate to have extremely good players at all positions; Jah just warps the court in that you can't play him man-up and you can't double him because of his passing. A group of excellent players, with a guy in the middle who just creates havoc once the ball gets in to him. And, whose presence opens the court up for others.

It'd have to be 4 not including me. My jumper is inaccurate outside of about 5 feet (and that's being generous), my vertical is probably about 4-5 inches (again, generous estimation) and my shuttle time would be measured with a sundial. :o

You'd probably have to exclude Ozzie from the team for pretty much the same reasons, too. (Love ya, man, but time has passed you by, too:o)

devildeac
01-07-2015, 02:26 PM

Seems like a classy guy and not just because of his vote;). I wish I had quoted him after the Wofford game but (paraphrasing) he was effusive in his praise of Okafor, calling him a fabulous player and a fine young man (IIRC). And they were the first comments at the very beginning of Laura Keeley's game write-up in the N&O.

Wander
01-07-2015, 02:32 PM

Ugh, JE, that came out of nowhere. I actually wanted to read about his quote!

Henderson
01-07-2015, 02:53 PM
It'd have to be 4 not including me. My jumper is inaccurate outside of about 5 feet (and that's being generous), my vertical is probably about 4-5 inches (again, generous estimation) and my shuttle time would be measured with a sundial. :o

Put me in coach. Don't underestimate what old age and treachery are capable of overcoming.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-07-2015, 03:01 PM

You'd probably have to exclude Ozzie from the team for pretty much the same reasons, too. (Love ya, man, but time has passed you by, too:o)

I'm a good candidate for this team. My vertical is much worse than it was "back in the day" but I still get free drinks from time to time based on a game winner in the Asheville City League Championship back in.... 2001.

With Jah navigating the ball from the low post, I'm sure he could find me open in the corner when he gets triple teamed. I'd hit... at least 20%.

Olympic Fan
01-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Put me in coach. Don't underestimate what old age and treachery are capable of overcoming.

Ask Brendon Haywood about the "old guy from the YMCA" who made him look so silly in the '99 Weber State game

Everybody remembers Harold "The Show" Arceneaux scored 26 in that game, but it was 6-9 Eric Ketcham who limited 7-footer Brendan Heywood to 0-for 3 from the flour and no rebounds in the loss. Afterwards Haywood complained that Ketcham played like "some old guy you'd see at the Y."

So maybe you do have a future, Henderson!

OldPhiKap
01-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Ask Brendon Haywood about the "old guy from the YMCA" who made him look so silly in the '99 Weber State game

Everybody remembers Harold "The Show" Arceneaux scored 26 in that game, but it was 6-9 Eric Ketcham who limited 7-footer Brendan Heywood to 0-for 3 from the flour and no rebounds in the loss. Afterwards Haywood complained that Ketcham played like "some old guy you'd see at the Y."

So maybe you do have a future, Henderson!

"Hey, my Uncle Drew can play."

devildeac
01-07-2015, 08:53 PM
GT and SU involved in what appears to be a real stinker. GT leads 45-44 with 24 seconds remaining in the game.

pamtar
01-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Did anyone else sit there dumbfounded as State took the lead against UVA with 5min to go, then proceeded to take 400 contested shots with 15-25 seconds left on the shot clock? You don't beat the pack line with two-pass possessions.

-jk
01-07-2015, 09:05 PM
And it looks like Syracuse pulled it out in the end, 46-45. Ick (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587903).

-jk

Olympic Fan
01-08-2015, 02:54 PM
Check out ESPN's list of the top most disappointing teams in college basketball.

Syracuse just missed the top (or is it bottom?) 10, but another fairly familiar ACC team came in at No. 1:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/101958/top10thursday-most-disappointing-teams

devildeac
01-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Check out ESPN's list of the top most disappointing teams in college basketball.

Syracuse just missed the top (or is it bottom?) 10, but another fairly familiar ACC team came in at No. 1:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/101958/top10thursday-most-disappointing-teams

Probably a bit too early for them to raise a banner:rolleyes:.

(Unfortunately, I ain't counting them out yet.)

Henderson
01-08-2015, 03:44 PM

Talk about underperforming against expectations... Marcus Paige was the top vote getter in the AP preseason All-America poll.

sagegrouse
01-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Talk about underperforming against expectations... Marcus Paige was the top vote getter in the AP preseason All-America poll.

I ain't a-skeered, but the band of Marcus and the Heels are gonna have some hits.

Henderson
01-08-2015, 05:21 PM
I ain't a-skeered, but the band of Marcus and the Heels are gonna have some hits.

I'm with you. Dangerous team who will desperately want us. MP ain't no AA, but anyone who thinks UNC would be a laugher for Duke hasn't been paying attention.

Still dying to see Devin Thomas against Meeks and Brice.

devildeac
01-08-2015, 05:22 PM

Let's not kick that sleeping sheep too often. I like underacheaters, I mean, underachievers, especially when they underperform 9 miles south on 15-501 (or at away games, too)

Henderson
01-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Let's not kick that sleeping sheep too often. I like underacheaters, I mean, underachievers, especially when they underperform 9 miles south on 15-501 (or at away games, too)

Ouch.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2015, 07:25 AM
I wanted to thank pfrduke for these weekly threads. Since there is no longer a schedule link on the site, this is my go-to for when/where we play next.

Beat State!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2015, 01:43 PM
I wanted to thank pfrduke for these weekly threads. Since there is no longer a schedule link on the site, this is my go-to for when/where we play next.

Beat State!

Yeah... whatever happened to the "Next Game" from the home page? That was a very useful line of text.

OldPhiKap
01-10-2015, 08:47 AM
1. Tech-Wake should be a really fun game today.

2. Despite my irrational hatred of Louisville, I would be amused to see them beat the Heels senseless in Chapel Hill.

Nice slate of games to warm up for Duke-State tomorrow.

devildeac
01-10-2015, 09:10 AM

2. Despite my irrational hatred of Louisville, I would be amused to see them beat the Heels senseless in Chapel Hill.

I'd be far more than amused.

TruBlu
01-10-2015, 09:13 AM

Yep. Rational hatred trumps irrational hatred every time. Go Cards!

OldPhiKap
01-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Yep. Rational hatred trumps irrational hatred every time. Go Cards!

"Makes sense to me" -- 9F!

Bob Green
01-10-2015, 10:04 AM

#3 Virginia (14-0) at #13 Notre Dame (15-1) at 6 pm on ESPN2 should be a good one.

devildeac
01-10-2015, 10:29 AM
#3 Virginia (14-0) at #13 Notre Dame (15-1) at 6 pm on ESPN2 should be a good one.

Well, I was a Catholic on Monday night this week so I see no reason I can't be again tonight;).

Bob Green
01-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Well, I was a Catholic on Monday night this week so I see no reason I can't be again tonight;).

I'm forced to disagree with you here. When Duke travels to Charlottesville on January 31 to take on Virginia, I hope both squads are still undefeated.

OldPhiKap
01-10-2015, 11:46 AM

I'm forced to disagree with you here. When Duke travels to Charlottesville on January 31 to take on Virginia, I hope both squads are still undefeated.

Yeah, I'm torn on this one. Once the game gets going I'll know who I'm pulling for if that makes sense.

UVa loss drops the unbeatens to two though IIRC. But UVa is traditional ACC. Like both coaches. Like UVa's players better.

Like Colbert, I will think with my gut when the ball goes up. And probably impair my gut's thinking with a growler of something.

Olympic Fan
01-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I'm torn on this one. Once the game gets going I'll know who I'm pulling for if that makes sense.

UVa loss drops the unbeatens to two though IIRC. But UVa is traditional ACC. Like both coaches. Like UVa's players better.

Like Colbert, I will think with my gut when the ball goes up. And probably impair my gut's thinking with a growler of something.

I absolutely understand this. When I was a kid, I wen to the 1971 NCAA East Regional in Reynolds Coliseum. South Carolina was there, representing the ACC (after beating UNC in the Kevin Joyce-outjumps-Lee Dedmon game). I hate South Carolina -- that Gamecock team was without doubt the most hated team in ACC history -- much more hated than any Duke team.

But I was an ACC partisan and I went to Raleigh that night determined to pull for John Roche, Tom Riker and company. I was settled into my seat as a South Carolina fan for the night, then the ball went up ... and suddenly I was screaming for Penn! I couldn't help myself. I WANTED to pull for the ACC team, but my gut wouldn't let me,.

I gloried in watching Penn knock off Southern Carolina, then the next night, I got there early to watch Fordham (coached by a young Digger Phelps) rout the Gamecocks again.

Sometimes, you choose teams at an instinctive level.

Bob Green
01-10-2015, 12:01 PM
My rationale for pulling for the Cavaliers today is a desire to see a fully hyped, nationally televised contest between two undefeated traditional ACC schools as January prepares to roll to February with one of those schools not being named UNC. It would be fun to see the Duke at Virginia game hyped in the national media more than the UNC at Duke game on February 18. While it is hard to root against Mike Brey, it is easy to root for Tony Bennett.

There is a lot of basketball left to be played before this scenario becomes a reality.

DukieInBrasil
01-10-2015, 12:59 PM
This is agonizing! Today, i might actually pull for the Cheaters to beat UL. If we had already played and beaten UL and UVA i would fo sho not pull for the Cheaters at all. But if UL loses it increases the chance for Duke to win the ACC reg. season. There are still so many other variables at play that it's impossible to say that a UL loss guarantees Duke at least a share of the best record in conference play, but every bit helps.
Also, mos def pulling for UVA to lose today too!

OldPhiKap
01-10-2015, 01:16 PM
This is agonizing! Today, i might actually pull for the Cheaters to beat UL. If we had already played and beaten UL and UVA i would fo sho not pull for the Cheaters at all. But if UL loses it increases the chance for Duke to win the ACC reg. season. There are still so many other variables at play that it's impossible to say that a UL loss guarantees Duke at least a share of the best record in conference play, but every bit helps.
Also, mos def pulling for UVA to lose today too!

UNC-LV is a threat until they are put down, so I think you can safely root against them today. They and Louisville are both threats.

devildeac
01-10-2015, 02:07 PM

I can't disagree with your disagreement but I want the 'Hoos to pick up an additional loss or two on their somewhat unbalanced, easier schedule than hours and give us a little better shot at that #1 spot in the final standings.

Furniture
01-10-2015, 02:21 PM
I'm with you. Dangerous team who will desperately want us. MP ain't no AA, but anyone who thinks UNC would be a laugher for Duke hasn't been paying attention.

Still dying to see Devin Thomas against Meeks and Brice.

I agree with this. I look at Carolina and I don't see a really bad team. It's so hard to tell in my opinion. I don't know how people can just assume that they are bad. Plus on the day with the pressure on our freshman. It's best not to be too over confident and take anything for granted.

devildeac
01-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Go Deacs! Glad I can post that again:o.

burnspbesq
01-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Aw, fer cryin' out loud, Louisville. That's really pathetic.

Bluegrassdevil1
01-10-2015, 04:15 PM
While I did not think UNC would live up to their preseason ranking, I am surprised they have been so up and down this season.

I do not think UNC will win the ACC, but I would not be shocked to see the fighting Huckleberry Hounds finish in third behind Duke and UVA. I think Notre Dame comes back to reality by early March, but I would be shocked if UNC does not, at the very least, finish in fourth, behind Notre Dame, but in front of U of L.

Duvall
01-10-2015, 04:20 PM
While I did not think UNC would live up to their preseason ranking, I am surprised they have been so up and down this season.

I do not think UNC will win the ACC, but I would not be shocked to see the fighting Huckleberry Hounds finish in third behind Duke and UVA. I think Notre Dame comes back to reality by early March, but I would be shocked if UNC does not, at the very least, finish in fourth, behind Notre Dame, but in front of U of L.

UNC hasn't been that up and down. The media just overrated them slightly in the preseason - again - and overreacted when they failed to live up to their preseason ranking - again - and will now overreact to UNC not being as bad as they thought at midseason. Again.

Karl Beem
01-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Lou. scored 2 pts the last 4:05! They suck, they really, really suck.

gurufrisbee
01-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Louisville, the worst offensive basketball team I've seen since they closed the blind college that Boeheim used to schedule every year, scored 71 in Chapel Hill?

Pretty sure that means Jahlil is dropping about 85 on the Terd Heels.

devildeac
01-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Louisville, the worst offensive basketball team I've seen since they closed the blind college that Boeheim used to schedule every year, scored 71 in Chapel Hill?

Pretty sure that means Jahlil is dropping about 85 on the Terd Heels.

Yea, but so did ND, one of the top 5-10 offensive teams in the nation, which was 10-15 points below their per game average. I just wish the cheaters had only scored 70 again aoday:mad:. Nice Boeheim SOS reference, BTW;).

OldPhiKap
01-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Although I have a mild interest in seeing #3 UVa at #13 ND in an ACC name of the day, I'm really STOKED to be watching Baylor and TCU in OT!

And even better! Time out to go to the monitor to see if the last shot was a 2 or 3!!!

Duvall
01-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Yeah, Duke isn't finishing first in the ACC. Virginia's too good to catch with an unbalanced schedule.

OldPhiKap
01-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Game is tight, UVa with three and under three to go.

devildeac
01-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Although I have a mild interest in seeing #3 UVa at #13 ND in an ACC name of the day, I'm really STOKED to be watching Baylor and TCU in OT!

And even better! Time out to go to the monitor to see if the last shot was a 2 or 3!!!

I can see why. Their MBB teams today scored more points than their FB teams did when they played this fall but today's game had to go to OT to accomplish that:rolleyes:.