PDA

View Full Version : Checking in with JD and Stanford: Big Weekend!

JasonEvans
01-05-2015, 12:31 AM
Big OT win for Johnny and his team over #21 Washington. Puts the Cardinal at 2-0 in the Pac 12 and gives them a nice victory over a team expected to be near the top of the conference standings. It was especially nice because Johnny just lost star freshman (and one-time Duke recruit) Reid Travis to a leg injury that will have him out for a unknown amount of time. To beat Washington without one of his best big men is a nice feather in JD's cap.

Combined with a victory over top-ten Texas a couple weeks ago, one has to think that Stanford will get serious Top 25 consideration this coming week. They will be on the road against a reeling UCLA club (that got just hammered by Utah today) and a USC team that may be the worst team in the Pac 12. 4-0 in the conference is there if the Cardinal can grab it.

-Jason "Go Johnny! Love to see him succeeding!" Evans

duke79
01-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Big OT win for Johnny and his team over #21 Washington. Puts the Cardinal at 2-0 in the Pac 12 and gives them a nice victory over a team expected to be near the top of the conference standings. It was especially nice because Johnny just lost star freshman (and one-time Duke recruit) Reid Travis to a leg injury that will have him out for a unknown amount of time. To beat Washington without one of his best big men is a nice feather in JD's cap.

Combined with a victory over top-ten Texas a couple weeks ago, one has to think that Stanford will get serious Top 25 consideration this coming week. They will be on the road against a reeling UCLA club (that got just hammered by Utah today) and a USC team that may be the worst team in the Pac 12. 4-0 in the conference is there if the Cardinal can grab it.

-Jason "Go Johnny! Love to see him succeeding!" Evans

Nice win by Stanford. I watched the first four or five minutes of the game and Stanford was being totally outplayed by UW. I think the score, at that point, was something like 14 to 4 in favor of UW. I went to bed thinking this would be an ugly loss for Stanford at home (although not a full house. Stanford students must not be back at school yet). Glad to hear they came back to win. Shows character and good coaching.

CameronBornAndBred
01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Combined with a victory over top-ten Texas a couple weeks ago, one has to think that Stanford will get serious Top 25 consideration this coming week.
They moved up, but still have a ways to go before getting in. Washington justifiably dropped out, now with 3 losses and a winless record in conference play.

JasonEvans
01-09-2015, 08:40 AM
They will be on the road against a reeling UCLA club (that got just hammered by Utah today) and a USC team that may be the worst team in the Pac 12. 4-0 in the conference is there if the Cardinal can grab it.

Well, Stanford lost in 2OTs to UCLA in a game they really coulda, woulda, shoulda won. Their star player, Chasson Randle (who leads the Pac12 in Ft shooting) missed several key FTs down the stretch, including one that would have likely won the game. Sigh...

As a side note, Bill Walton was doing play-by-play and made no effort to hide his UCLA fandom. It was pretty disgusting and unprofessional. You would never, ever hear this kind of active rooting and promoting of a program out of the mouth of Jay Bilas or anyone else. I found it really hard to listen to.

Jason "side note-- Steve Alford has something like 420 NCAA Div 1 victories at age 50... if he averages a little more than 28 wins a year until he is 70, he'll be at 1000 wins" Evans

jv001
01-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Well, Stanford lost in 2OTs to UCLA in a game they really coulda, woulda, shoulda won. Their star player, Chasson Randle (who leads the Pac12 in Ft shooting) missed several key FTs down the stretch, including one that would have likely won the game. Sigh...

As a side note, Bill Walton was doing play-by-play and made no effort to hide his UCLA fandom. It was pretty disgusting and unprofessional. You would never, ever hear this kind of active rooting and promoting of a program out of the mouth of Jay Bilas or anyone else. I found it really hard to listen to.

Jason "side note-- Steve Alford has something like 420 NCAA Div 1 victories at age 50... if he averages a little more than 28 wins a year until he is 70, he'll be at 1000 wins" Evans

I watched the last 2 OTs and you are correct. Stanford should have won, but like you said, Randle missed the 2nd of two free throws with 2.3 seconds left after tying the game with his first FT. If he hits the second, the game is pretty much over. I also agree with you regarding the big red head(Walton). He makes no bones about it. He rooted for the Bruins during those two overtimes and was not even trying to hide his homerism. Walton says what he has on his mind and doesn't care what other people think, Come Hell or Highwater. GoDuke!

FerryFor50
01-09-2015, 09:42 AM

Wait. You think the UCLA fandom was unprofessional? How about his constant Phish/Grateful Dead references or his mention of the "magic weed"? Interesting you bring up Steve Alford's 420 victories, though... :p

Also you need to listen to more Len Elmore. ;)

tbyers11
01-09-2015, 09:47 AM

You are being kind when you say that Stanford really coulda, woulda, shoulda won. That was a choke job of the highest order. Watched the last 10 mins and the 1st OT then went to bed. They had a ten point lead with 8 min left in regulation and scored 2 pts in the last 8 min. Nastic looked particularly awful. Randle, a 93% FT shooter coming in, was 3-6 from the line including the miss with 2.3 secs left in the first OT that would have likely won the game. Losing this game could really hurt Stanford's case if they are a bubble team.

Wiki shows Alford currently with 414 D1 wins. He's probably looking at around 20 wins this season (more if they make a good run in the NIT). That probably bumps him to needing 29 wins/yr which is pretty much impossible (which I think was your point ;)). For reference, from 1986 thru last year (the glory years) K has averaged just under 29 wins a year. Just makes it more impressive what Coach K is doing.

AtlBluRew
01-09-2015, 10:12 AM
It's only out of my high regard for Johnny Dawkins that I sat through a full game plus two overtimes of Bill Walton. I admit that he does sprinkle in some good basketball analysis -- when he's corralled into doing so by his exasperated broadcast partner -- but, wow, the talk about music and various Hollywood stars really wears me down. Still, it's Bill Walton, a well-known flake and a UCLA icon, and that gives him some freedom, in my book, to express his UCLA fandom. It wouldn't fly for Bilas, Gminksi, Battier or J-Will to be so open with their fandom because they aren't known as flakes.

I've watched Stanford a few times this season. This is a disappointing loss. They need to get a win at UCLA, and get that monkey off their backs. They had this one and let it go at the free throw line. Gotta add ... Randle walks the ball up the court too slowly for my liking, even in regulation. And Nastic had a terrible night. As Walton pointed out (probably under duress from his broadcast partner), he touched a lot of rebounds but didn't control many.

SoCalDukeFan
01-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I watched most of the game.

Stanford choked it away. They were also unlucky. Bryce Alford hit a key 3, prior to this game he had missed his last 19 shots. However the best free throw shooter in the Pac 12 missed 3 free throws, one which probably would have sealed the deal. Of course, UCLA was pretty bad from the line as well.

Its easy to get very tired of Walton very early in any telecast he is on. He can be brutally honest and is very tough on the coach's son. Once said "That is Bryce Alford at his worst."

I was impressed with Looney and think he has a lot of upside. Parker is playing much better.

There are some pretty bad teams in the Pac 12 that UCLA might beat, especially at home - USC, Cal, Oregon State, Washington State all look pretty bad to me. Arizona and Utah are strong, when they are not playing in a Pac 12 game its hard to figure out which is more difficult - to watch the bad basketball or to listen to Walton's commentary.

Its very hard for me to see Alford averaging 29 wins a year for 20 years or whatever he needs. Just not that good coach.

SoCal

yancem
01-09-2015, 04:27 PM
I only caught the last overtime but it looked like everyone on Stanford except Randle wanted nothing to do with shooting. It looked like they were playing hot potato much of the time. On a couple of occasions, a Stanford player would find himself open under the basket and would heave it upward and run the other direction like it was a grenade, resulting in no hope of going in or was blocked. They have looked much better in the other two games I've watched (including against Duke), hopefully it was a one time thing.

subzero02
01-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Watching Stanford lose this game in double overtime was like watching a slow train wreck... The Cardinal just couldn't squeeze the victory. Tony Parker gave them trouble; losing weight has really helped his offense evolve.

JasonEvans
01-09-2015, 11:49 PM
It is worth noting that Stanford was without Reid Travis, the freshman (who Duke was after for a while) who has been a real solid presence for them on the interior. I suspect they will be better when he returns.

-Jason

jv001
01-10-2015, 11:13 AM
It is worth noting that Stanford was without Reid Travis, the freshman (who Duke was after for a while) who has been a real solid presence for them on the interior. I suspect they will be better when he returns.

-Jason

Jason, any word on how long Reid will be out for Stanford? GoDuke!

gumbomoop
01-12-2015, 12:06 AM
Stanford almost blew another one. Led USC by 13 with 6 minutes left, couldn't score, USC had ball at end, turnover, Stanford survived.

Arizona lost on road at Oregon St. Road games, they happen.

JasonEvans
02-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Huge night and weekend coming up for JD and Stanford. They are 17-9 (8-6 in the Pac ??) and are firmly on the bubble. They have home games tonight at 11pm and then on Sunday at 7pm against Oregon St and Oregon. This is big. Oregon is 21-8 (11-5) and is likely in the tournament right now, but cannot feel too secure without a win or two more. Oregon St is 8-7 (17-10) and needs a strong finish to make the Dance.

2 wins at home would almost certainly clinch a tournament bid for Stanford. A split makes things dicey. 2 losses and they are looking at the NIT, barring a miracle (such as winning at Arizona next weekend).

Stanford has been swooning, losers of 4 of their past 6. They need to finish strong.

Johnny has a so-so recruiting class so far, only 1 top 100 recruit and no one who seems capable of replacing their best players, seniors Chasson Randle, Anthony Brown, and Stefan Nastic. I know he has good will built up from last year's NCAA tourney run, but I think Stanford expects to be a tournament team year after year, and Johnny could be in some trouble if they miss this year and it doesn't seem like help is on the way in the form of strong recruiting classes.

-Jason "love me some JD, hope he can get his team consistently closer to the top of the Pac ??" Evans

g-money
02-27-2015, 02:16 AM
Huge night and weekend coming up for JD and Stanford. They are 17-9 (8-6 in the Pac ??) and are firmly on the bubble. They have home games tonight at 11pm and then on Sunday at 7pm against Oregon St and Oregon. This is big. Oregon is 21-8 (11-5) and is likely in the tournament right now, but cannot feel too secure without a win or two more. Oregon St is 8-7 (17-10) and needs a strong finish to make the Dance.

2 wins at home would almost certainly clinch a tournament bid for Stanford. A split makes things dicey. 2 losses and they are looking at the NIT, barring a miracle (such as winning at Arizona next weekend).

Stanford has been swooning, losers of 4 of their past 6. They need to finish strong.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw your post, Jason. How many times have we been through this with Johnny D and the Cardinal over the past few years? :)

Johnny has a so-so recruiting class so far, only 1 top 100 recruit and no one who seems capable of replacing their best players, seniors Chasson Randle, Anthony Brown, and Stefan Nastic. I know he has good will built up from last year's NCAA tourney run, but I think Stanford expects to be a tournament team year after year, and Johnny could be in some trouble if they miss this year and it doesn't seem like help is on the way in the form of strong recruiting classes.

-Jason "love me some JD, hope he can get his team consistently closer to the top of the Pac ??" Evans

Knowing quite a few Stanford alumni here in the bay area, I would say there is a constant undercurrent of discontent regarding the basketball program. The victory over Kansas certainly created temporary goodwill, but if it doesn't lead to a great recruiting class it could be fleeting (heck, it might already be gone).

When I personally watch Stanford play, my first reaction is that Johnny can never quite bring in enough athletic players to get to the top of the Pac 12. What I don't know is if the blame for this falls primarily at Johnny's feet or the admissions department's.

Anyway, I'm pulling for him out here, and really hope that Stanford's commitment to him pays off for everybody involved.

BD80
02-27-2015, 09:01 AM
... Johnny has a so-so recruiting class so far, only 1 top 100 recruit and no one who seems capable of replacing their best players, seniors Chasson Randle, Anthony Brown, and Stefan Nastic. ... Johnny could be in some trouble if they miss this year and it doesn't seem like help is on the way in the form of strong recruiting classes. ...

Would this be sufficient grounds to grant Aubrey a transfer waiver to play next year at Stanford?

"My Dad's career is in critical condition, I want to be with him"

DukieInBrasil
02-27-2015, 11:24 AM
well, Stanford won last night, and at 9-6 in the PAC-whatever, it seems they are on pretty solid ground at the moment. Of course, they will only help themselves by continuing to win. I admit i don't follow them all that much, but if they finish 10-8 or so in the PAC i would have to think they should get a bid. Now that the PAC has a tourney, if Stanford were to win 2 games there, i think that would cement their bid.

Olympic Fan
02-27-2015, 12:00 PM
well, Stanford won last night, and at 9-6 in the PAC-whatever, it seems they are on pretty solid ground at the moment. Of course, they will only help themselves by continuing to win. I admit i don't follow them all that much, but if they finish 10-8 or so in the PAC i would have to think they should get a bid. Now that the PAC has a tourney, if Stanford were to win 2 games there, i think that would cement their bid.

I wish it were that simple.

The big win over Oregon State helps, but Stanford has a tough, tough finish -- Oregon at home Sunday, then the Arizona road swing next weekend.

Fourth place in the Pac 10 is not always a guarantee of the bid. They've only gotten three on a couple recent occasions. Pretty sure they get Arizona, Utah and Oregon this year. Stanford and UCLA are fighting for a fourth spot. It's going to be tough. The worse thing for Stanford is that their best win this year was a road victory over top 10 Texas. Only Texas is no longer a top 10 team -- 8in fact, there are not likely o make the tournament. That hurts Stanford's resume a bunch.

Getting in the field would be big for Johnny. He struggled for a number of years, but broke through last year. He's got to follow that up with another NCAA trip. I'll be watching Sunday -- that one will be huge/

BTW: Tommy Amaker has a big weekend coming up too. Harvard took over the Ivy League last weekend when they rallied to beat Princeton and Columbia upset Yake. Now Harvard has to go on the road for two games -- including a game Saturday at Columbia. Still, it probably comes down to next weekend when Yale (one game back) comes to Harvard. Harvard won the first game at Yale by two.

Amaker is going for his fifth straight Ivy title and his fourth straight NCAA trip. They had no Ivy titles and one NCAA trip (in 1945) before he got there.

Wander
02-27-2015, 12:12 PM
UCLA is close to a lock to finish 13-7 in the Pac-12, which includes a sweep of Stanford. If they end up fighting for the same spot, that's trouble. I think they need to beat Oregon and win one of the Arizona road games to really feel safe.

Troublemaker
03-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Oregon beats Stanford 73-70.

Gonna be tough for Johnny to make the tournament. Probably needs to upset Arizona or Utah at some point (regular season or Pac-12 tourney)

BigWayne
03-06-2015, 01:36 AM
Dropped the game at ASU tonight. Only way Stanford gets in the tournament now is to beat Arizona on the road and win a couple games in the PAC12 tourney.

subzero02
03-06-2015, 03:17 AM
Wojo and Collins obviously won't be making the big dance. Amaker and Harvard can clinch at least a share of the IVY league crown with a win over Yale tomorrow at 8. If Harvard beats Brown on Saturday night too, they will be the outright IVY league champions. If both Yale and Harvard go 1-1 over the weekend, they will meet in a 1 game playoff to decide which team earns the NCAA automatic bid.

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2015, 08:18 AM
I can't imagine that JD is going to be coaching the Cardinal next year. :(

sagegrouse
03-06-2015, 08:55 AM
I can't imagine that JD is going to be coaching the Cardinal next year. :(

I dunno, Chris, he was just given an extension in September (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11582893/stanford-cardinal-coach-johnny-dawkins-gets-contract-extension)after last year's Sweet Sixteen team.

Sage

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2015, 09:15 AM
I dunno, Chris, he was just given an extension in September (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11582893/stanford-cardinal-coach-johnny-dawkins-gets-contract-extension)after last year's Sweet Sixteen team.

Sage
Of course, I really hope you're right. If I were a fan, I'd be disappointed in seeing a step back though. Who knows, maybe they make waves in their conference tourney.

ChillinDuke
03-06-2015, 09:38 AM

Sage

Of course, I really hope you're right. If I were a fan, I'd be disappointed in seeing a step back though. Who knows, maybe they make waves in their conference tourney.

I think Sage is right. While JD certainly didn't do himself any favors this year, I think they will at least give him another year.

That said, I don't think next year's team has much talent if I'm remembering correctly. Randle and Nastic I think are both gone. So the writing may be on the wall.

Obviously agree that the performance this year was a step back. They had a bunch of talent that didn't live up to the potential. Should have been in the tourney - and probably easily in.

- Chillin

JasonEvans
03-06-2015, 09:53 AM
I'd be shocked if Johnny does not get another year, but the pressure is going to be on. The team has really swooned lately, surprising for a club where its three best players are seniors Randle, Nastic, and Anthony Brown. As recently as late January, Stanford looked like a #7 seed. But they've lost 6 of 9 since then and haven't won a road game in more than a month. As I noted earlier, his recruiting has been sub-par and he is going to have a really tough time replacing Randle, Nastic, and Brown. This year's team has been plagued by injuries too. Starting forward Michael Humphrey turned an ankle last night and probably won't play against Arizona. Stanford was missing Reid Travis for 9 games earlier this year too.

-Jason "The way they are playing, I really don't see them being much of a challenge for a surging Arizona team" Evans

duke79
03-06-2015, 10:23 AM
I'd be shocked if Johnny does not get another year, but the pressure is going to be on. The team has really swooned lately, surprising for a club where its three best players are seniors Randle, Nastic, and Anthony Brown. As recently as late January, Stanford looked like a #7 seed. But they've lost 6 of 9 since then and haven't won a road game in more than a month. As I noted earlier, his recruiting has been sub-par and he is going to have a really tough time replacing Randle, Nastic, and Brown. This year's team has been plagued by injuries too. Starting forward Michael Humphrey turned an ankle last night and probably won't play against Arizona. Stanford was missing Reid Travis for 9 games earlier this year too.

-Jason "The way they are playing, I really don't see them being much of a challenge for a surging Arizona team" Evans

Yea, I hope he survives but I know Stanford, like Duke, has high expectations for its teams and I'm sure they're disappointed with the record. To compete successfully at the highest levels of Div. 1, you have to recruit top HS players. I would think you would be able to do that at Stanford, but I don't know what sort of academic record the admissions office requires of the scholarship athletes. Is it higher than a Duke or Notre Dame or Vanderbilt?

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Yea, I hope he survives but I know Stanford, like Duke, has high expectations for its teams and I'm sure they're disappointed with the record. To compete successfully at the highest levels of Div. 1, you have to recruit top HS players. I would think you would be able to do that at Stanford, but I don't know what sort of academic record the admissions office requires of the scholarship athletes. Is it higher than a Duke or Notre Dame or Vanderbilt?
They haven't been hindered in recruiting in football. Stanford is one of the teams that we point to and say "See? It can be done".

gumbomoop
03-06-2015, 10:57 AM

I hope he gets 2 more. Though it's true he loses his top 3, he has several promising players on board, but it's more likely they'll be good in 2016-17 than 2015-16. He will have 3 very good interior players by 2016-17: Jrs Travis and Humphrey, plus So C Josh Sharma, a good one. Plenty of size and talent to rotate those 3 for the 2 interior spots. A real strength. PG will be in good hands, Jr Cartwright will be solid. Wings will depend on how good the Allen twins turn out to be.

Expectations will be down for 2015-16, but they'll win some good games while rebuilding. Johnny still has some real if young talent, so losing this year's 3 good seniors means a bumpy ride next season. Much smoother in 2016-17. I think he'll still be there.

Stanford's season was defined by two agonizing losses to UCLA. At UCLA, excellent FT-shooter Randle missed a FT with 2 seconds left at end of first OT that would have won it. This after Standord had led by 14 under 10. Horrible loss. Then lost @ home to Bruins by 2.

Kfanarmy
03-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Wojo and Collins obviously won't be making the big dance. Amaker and Harvard can clinch at least a share of the IVY league crown with a win over Yale tomorrow at 8. If Harvard beats Brown on Saturday night too, they will be the outright IVY league champions. If both Yale and Harvard go 1-1 over the weekend, they will meet in a 1 game playoff to decide which team earns the NCAA automatic bid.
Buffalo has a pretty good shot as well.

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2015, 09:24 PM
In what must be a defensive battle (or a horrible offensive outing by both teams), Yale is leading Harvard with a little over 10 minutes left, 35-28.

devildeac
03-06-2015, 11:12 PM
In what must be a defensive battle (or a horrible offensive outing by both teams), Yale is leading Harvard with a little over 10 minutes left, 35-28.

Is that a basketball score or did you leave out a decimal point from each number and meant to quote their GPAs?:rolleyes:

Tappan Zee Devil
03-06-2015, 11:54 PM

Yale ended up winning 62-52, in what was actually an interesting game. I watched the game and, in spite of my affection for Tommy, found myself rooting for Yale for a couple of reasons. First, one of my daughters graduated from Yale. Also Matt Townsend, a 6'7" forward on the Yale team who had 8 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and a blocked shot, is from the high school where my wife teaches - and oh, he is a Rhodes Scholar.

The Yale team also lost a kid who would have been a starter because he choose to spend his senior year as a Wiffenpoof rather than a bball player.

JasonEvans
03-07-2015, 12:33 AM
The Yale team also lost a kid who would have been a starter because he choose to spend his senior year as a Wiffenpoof rather than a bball player.

I looked it up. The Wiffenpoof are the most famous college a capella group around. 14 Yale seniors each year are chosen to be members of it.

Of course, only 5 Yale students (senior or otherwise) are chosen to start on the basketball team ;)

-Jason "congrats to Yale... they seem likely to be going to their first Big Dance in decades" Evans

hsheffield
03-07-2015, 03:13 PM
http://youtu.be/qAT5AqinOeg

hope this video insert works-please forgive me if not.

most (if not all) seniors tapped to be a Whiffenpoof take the year off. I'm not sure you can play for the basketball team if you're not enrolled!

Olympic Fan
03-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Wiffenpoofs aside, Harvard suffered a devastating home loss to Yale Friday night. It leaves them one-game behind Yale with one to play.

Harvard's only chance is a home win tonight vs. Brown, coupled with a Yale loss tonight at Dartmouth.

If that happens, the two rivals would share the Ivy title and would play a one-game playoff to determine the league's NCAA representative.

Tommy is about the only K protégé (other than Mike Brey) with a chance to make the dance -- Northwestern and Marquette are below .500, while Stanford has slid so far off the bubble that they need to finish with an upset at Arizona this afternoon to even get back in the conversation (and even that might not be enough).