PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Calhoun to transfer

Gargoyle
01-04-2015, 01:58 PM
This is very bad news for the women's team.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/blog/duke/x1351407827/Calhoun-leaving-Duke-womens-team

uh_no
01-04-2015, 02:04 PM
This is very bad news for the women's team.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/blog/duke/x1351407827/Calhoun-leaving-Duke-womens-team

wow. that's surprising. I hope it's not due to family hardship. certainly not for playing time...she's averaging 30 a game.

shame too, since she has looked pretty good IMO

CameronBornAndBred
01-04-2015, 02:56 PM
wow. that's surprising. I hope it's not due to family hardship. certainly not for playing time...she's averaging 30 a game.

Losing a starter, especially midseason, is never a good sign for a program.

uh_no
01-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Losing a starter, especially midseason, is never a good sign for a program.

leaving mid-season is not-uncommon, as it means you can play spring of your next year, like how semi did.

I will hesitate to speculate until a time as we know there wasn't some personal reasons for transferring.

AIM4excellence
01-04-2015, 03:17 PM

Just my opinion, but I don't think she'd be getting the same amount of PT next season, with the dynamo backcourt coming in. Sometimes this matters, especially when you have less invested (1 semester) in a Duke degree.

CameronBornAndBred
01-04-2015, 03:21 PM
leaving mid-season is not-uncommon, as it means you can play spring of your next year, like how semi did.

I will hesitate to speculate until a time as we know there wasn't some personal reasons for transferring.
Seems odd to announce it immediately before tip off on game day too. Duke played Wake at 2, it was announced at 1.

Duvall
01-04-2015, 03:21 PM

It's pretty uncommon for a *starter* to transfer at midseason, especially when there isn't any chance of being benched this year.

It's entirely possible that Calhoun had some personal or family reason for transferring right now, rather than waiting for spring. But if that isn't the case, it's a very bad sign.

AIM4excellence
01-04-2015, 03:47 PM
It's pretty uncommon for a *starter* to transfer at midseason, especially when there isn't any chance of being benched this year.

It's entirely possible that Calhoun had some personal or family reason for transferring right now, rather than waiting for spring. But if that isn't the case, it's a very bad sign.

Lots of kids say it's a personal reason, but when the same thing keeps happening, you've got to read between the lines. Kiana Holland, who transferred out a year ago, would likely have started this season at PG, or played at least half the minutes at PG. As far as I know, she never made public her reason for leaving so suddenly.

Whatever the public reason is, this is very not good for DWB.

killerleft
01-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Lots of kids say it's a personal reason, but when the same thing keeps happening, you've got to read between the lines. Kiana Holland, who transferred out a year ago, would likely have started this season at PG, or played at least half the minutes at PG. As far as I know, she never made public her reason for leaving so suddenly.

You're teasing us. What did you see there, between the lines?

I can wholly agree that this transfer is not good for our women's team, at least this year, that's for sure. And Sierra isn't even a point guard!

killerleft
01-04-2015, 04:42 PM

I can wholly agree that this transfer is not good for our women's team, that's for sure. But, in the spirit of making lemonade when life gives you lemons, it could pay off down the road.

Duvall
01-04-2015, 04:50 PM
But, in the spirit of making lemonade when life gives you lemons, it could pay off down the road.

How?

AIM4excellence
01-04-2015, 05:14 PM

I can wholly agree that this transfer is not good for our women's team, at least this year, that's for sure. And Sierra isn't even a point guard!

The "reading between the lines" comment refers to hearing the same reason from multiple players. If all of them say "it's personal," at some point, one can infer it might be something else contributing. I can't recall a transfer from the men's program that didn't have a pretty specific reason, from family illness to playing time, etc. This is similar to the women's program under Coach G - transfers out were usually pretty easy to figure out, such as being replaced by a better frosh. I have to admit, though, that with some of them, I had the benefit of inside info (players not getting along).

killerleft
01-04-2015, 05:15 PM
How?

I'm sincerely hoping that our bigs (most of the team) will learn to protect the ball. That they will make better passes, improve on defense. This year still holds some promise, but the improvements could help long term as well.

There are other possible reasons, but I don't pretend to read between the lines. Good luck to Sierra, wherever she ends up.

Zeb
01-04-2015, 07:25 PM
This is way too civilized. C'mon folks... What's the point of an internet message board if it doesn't contain uninformed or unsubstantiated speculation?

CameronBornAndBred
01-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Bet she winds up at UCONN. That and Tennessee were her other two big looks for school; her brother is on the men's team. A benefit of not continuing our series is that we won't face her unless we meet in the tourney.

sagegrouse
01-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Bet she winds up at UCONN. That and Tennessee were her other two big looks for school; her brother is on the men's team. A benefit of not continuing our series is that we won't face her unless we meet in the tourney.

Good research CBB -- her brother Omar is a junior at UConn averaging 15 mins and 6+ ppg, although it appears he has been injured in that he has only appeared in five games. OTOH, he will presumably be gone in 16 months if he finishes next year.

Mike Corey
01-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Fortunately, I'm told family health issues are not the reason she is transferring.

AIM4excellence
01-04-2015, 10:48 PM

UConn was one of the final three, as was Notre Dame. She can't transfer inside the conference, so UConn is the most obvious, with her brother already there. Not sure who Tennessee has coming in, but UConn has a couple of very good ones, along with Gabby Williams already there. Tennessee has DDS, so it's a question of if she thinks they'll fit together. There are plenty of teams in the northeast who could definitely make use of her talent and I think she'll stay in the northeast.

uh_no
01-04-2015, 10:59 PM

Well, she's clearly not looking for more playing time, and it will be tough to find at uconn.

freshman Courtney ekmark....6'0, #5 guard in her class
freshman kia nurse....6'0, already starting for uconn
sophomore Saniya Chong...5'8, in the 7 man rotation, and has started several games this year
freshman gabby williams 5'11 #2 guard in her class

Coming in next year:
the #1 and #3 wings in the country (#1 is also #1 overall)

So she would be in a 7 way battle for those minutes for 2 years....far from the guaranteed minutes she has right now, and likely still significant minutes going forward (at duke).

If she were to go there, I don't doubt that she could be in the rotation. IMO, if you're goal is to be the best you possibly can, Uconn's going to give you that shot.

I had thought about the brother thing...but she spurned that once to sign with Duke, i'm not sure she would necessarily consider it more now.

Tennessee also has several options (though i can't speak too well on them)
Freshman Kortney Dunbar...6-2, 10 minutes a game
freshman jamie nared......6'2, already started a few games
freshman alexa middleton....5'9, already started a few games
sophomore diamond deshields...6'1....no introduction needed
sophomore jordan reynolds....5'11...started every game this year
sophomore andreaya carter....5'9...starter

So Tennessee seems equally stacked....

For all we know, she could go somewhere that wasn't in her top choices. Maybe after playing for half a year she knows better what she wants out of a program, and maybe another school other than the ones previously considered in her recruitment.

Either way, I imagine we'll know in a few days.

Mike Corey
01-04-2015, 11:05 PM
I can't edit my previous post anymore, but I can confirm also that Ms. Calhoun is not transferring due to any playing time issues or concerns.

~

Here's the list of players that have transferred or left the team in the past 7.5 seasons:

> Emily Waner (midseason, senior year)
> Janee Johnson
> Brittany Mitch
> Sierra Moore
> Alexis Rogers
> Chelsea Hopkins
> Alexis Jones
> Kianna Holland
> Katie Heckman
> Chloe Wells
> Sierra Calhoun

burnspbesq
01-05-2015, 01:10 AM
I can't edit my previous post anymore, but I can confirm also that Ms. Calhoun is not transferring due to any playing time issues or concerns.

~

Here's the list of players that have transferred or left the team in the past 7.5 seasons:

> Janee Johnson
> Brittany Mitch
> Sierra Moore
> Alexis Rogers
> Chelsea Hopkins
> Alexis Jones
> Kianna Holland
> Katie Heckman
> Chloe Wells
> Sierra Calhoun

Unless the story linked below is false, Heckman shouldn't be on that list.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209373296

More to the point, without context the list is meaningless. If you were to show the outbound transfer activity at all D1 basketball programs for the same period of time, and the number of transfers from Duke was, say, at least 1.5 standard deviations above the mean, I might conclude you were on to something. In the absence of that kind of analysis, I'm just yawning at you.

Duvall
01-05-2015, 01:34 AM
The view from Bristol: (http://espn.go.com/ncw/notebook/_/page/notebook_150104/weekend-wrap-florida-state-seminoles-leticia-romero-returns-court)

But where is this program at the moment after losing a second top recruit in as many seasons? Joanne P. McCallie was brutal in her assessment of her players after the Connecticut loss, calling their effort "pathetic" and saying it was "typical" that there was "no defensive leadership" when Connecticut took control in the second half. Considering Connecticut has been doing much the same thing to Duke through a number of rosters in recent years, it was a curious distribution of accountability. Maybe the message needed to be blunt and maybe it resonated with players who didn't let a bad start Sunday become a capitulation. But from start to finish, the past seven days did not engender a great deal of confidence in the program's present or its future.

uh_no
01-05-2015, 03:01 AM
Unless the story linked below is false, Heckman shouldn't be on that list.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209373296

More to the point, without context the list is meaningless. If you were to show the outbound transfer activity at all D1 basketball programs for the same period of time, and the number of transfers from Duke was, say, at least 1.5 standard deviations above the mean, I might conclude you were on to something. In the absence of that kind of analysis, I'm just yawning at you.

I think the list was meant to be informative....nothing more nothing less, especially given MC had just given a tidbit of information that most of us weren't privy to.

uh_no
01-05-2015, 03:02 AM
The view from Bristol: (http://espn.go.com/ncw/notebook/_/page/notebook_150104/weekend-wrap-florida-state-seminoles-leticia-romero-returns-court)

Harsh...but at least it settles the question of whether the media are also questioning the program...absolving some DBR posters of being accused of being the only ones.

Bike4Fun
01-05-2015, 06:51 AM
I haven't given up on this year, but this was the first team in quite a few years that I was really excited about and that I thought might be playing their best basketball at the end of the year rather than against lightweights before Jan 1. I'm nowhere near as optimistic right now, and as a fan, the transfer to me is more upsetting than any so far to DWB. It's not that often to see someone (women or men college athletes) performing at Calhoun's level transfer, especially in the middle of a season, and especially in the middle of their Freshman year. No matter what the reason, the non-basketball components of this whether they were the cause or an effect, must have been enormous. I wish her well and hope she succeeds in school and on the court. She is a very talented basketball player.

jv001
01-05-2015, 07:20 AM
Harsh...but at least it settles the question of whether the media are also questioning the program...absolving some DBR posters of being accused of being the only ones.

I wonder if the quotes from Coach P, came from old roy at uncheat, how would most DBR posters feel? I'm pretty sure we'd be saying old roy's at it again, throwing his players under the bus. Since I'm not close to the Duke Women's program, I can't say one way or the other how the players like or dislike their coach. GoDuke!

Henderson
01-05-2015, 10:29 AM
I wonder if the quotes from Coach P, came from old roy at uncheat, how would most DBR posters feel? I'm pretty sure we'd be saying old roy's at it again, throwing his players under the bus. Since I'm not close to the Duke Women's program, I can't say one way or the other how the players like or dislike their coach. GoDuke!

Those presser comments certainly gave me pause, then the unhappy transfer news furrowed my brow a bit. I've been a supporter of Coach P, and I remain so. But my paused and furrowed brow tells me that there may be issues that need to be addressed.

duke79
01-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Those presser comments certainly gave me pause, then the unhappy transfer news furrowed my brow a bit. I've been a supporter of Coach P, and I remain so. But my paused and furrowed brow tells me that there may be issues that need to be addressed.

Yea, I don't follow Duke Women's BB that closely but I think you never want to see a coach throw their players under the bus (assuming that quote is accurate), even if it might be true. I've always thought the coach, after a loss like that, should fall on their proverbial sword and say: "I did a poor job at preparing the players to play this game against an opponent as good as UConn." I watched some of the UConn game (including the part where Duke turned over the ball 8 times in 4 minutes during the first half). Duke barely could get the ball out of bounds after UConn scored and then couldn't get it past half court without a turnover or foul. It was truly ugly. From my uninformed view, it looked like UConn had vastly superior talent and was much better coached, a lethal combination when playing a lesser team. I don't who is to blame for that but it looks like we're simply not in the same league as UConn and maybe a few of the other elite women's programs.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2015, 10:59 AM
*IF* there are issues behind the scenes, a press conference comment (or even a series of them) does not cause a transfer. It is something deeper.

Again, I say *IF* because I have absolutely no idea and do not wish to imply that I do.

Duvall
01-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Yea, I don't follow Duke Women's BB that closely but I think you never want to see a coach throw their players under the bus (assuming that quote is accurate), even if it might be true.

Quotes. (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?KEY=YBRNTVWQTGBKVSC.2015010419550 0&SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209826552)

Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie

Opening Statement

“It was a disappointing game. It was a great game by Connecticut. It was a pathetic display by us, especially in terms of hustle and intangibles. It’s not always about shot making. Although I would have liked to have made more shots, it’s about how you represent and how you hustle as a team. We did not do that, especially in the second half.”

On how their defensive length disrupted Connecticut in the first half but not the second

“That’s so typical. We have absolutely no defensive leadership. In the first half people were helping out and pointing out shooters but in the second half there was no leadership out there so it became more difficult. We had nobody make a defensive play, or stop, or communication of significance in the second half.”

Mike Corey
01-05-2015, 11:03 AM
[W]ithout, context the list is meaningless. If you were to show the outbound transfer activity at all D1 basketball programs for the same period of time, and the number of transfers from Duke was, say, at least 1.5 standard deviations above the mean, I might conclude you were on to something. In the absence of that kind of analysis, I'm just yawning at you.

Of course, the specifics of each student-athlete's situation is important. But losing more than a player per season is meaningful information to some, though surely not to you. And that's okay.

If you want to conduct the analysis, I hope you'll do so: I'd recommend getting some more sleep first so there'll be no more need for yawning.

GGLC
01-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Isn't that pretty par for the course for Coach P's press conference comments following losses, though? I'm only a casual women's fan, but I definitely remember this issue -- denigrating the players and putting little/no weight of the blame on coaching/preparation/other things -- coming up on multiple occasions before.

Henderson
01-05-2015, 11:16 AM
*IF* there are issues behind the scenes, a press conference comment (or even a series of them) does not cause a transfer.

True that. But you never see the camel go down with the first straw, only the last. And it's the other unseen straws that have me speculating just a bit. If there are any. But I know nothing about the internal dynamics except the external manifestations. And they may mean nothing.

Stray Gator
01-05-2015, 12:12 PM
. . . I watched some of the UConn game (including the part where Duke turned over the ball 8 times in 4 minutes during the first half). Duke barely could get the ball out of bounds after UConn scored and then couldn't get it past half court without a turnover or foul. It was truly ugly. From my uninformed view, it looked like UConn had vastly superior talent and was much better coached, a lethal combination when playing a lesser team. I don't who is to blame for that but it looks like we're simply not in the same league as UConn and maybe a few of the other elite women's programs.

It would be easier to comprehend if the turnover problem was significantly more acute against a team as talented and well-coached as UConn, a game in which Duke had 22 turnovers. But in the preceding game against Kentucky, Duke had 25 turnovers. And yesterday against Wake Forest, Duke had 23 turnovers. I believe that Duke has about as many McDonald's All-Americans on its roster as UConn, and more than either Kentucky or Wake Forest, so none of those teams should possess clearly superior talent.

Granted, the absence of an experienced point guard certainly accounts for some of the turnovers. But as a fan who has watched all of those games, my impression is that many of the turnovers are the result of poor fundamentals -- in particular, passes that are inaccurate, or are telegraphed, or are forced into traffic, or are simply not crisp and thus can be easily intercepted by an alert defender; players not coming to meet the pass or not getting positioned to shield the pass from a defender; and dribbling out of control in the open court or into a well-defended space instead of looking up and finding an open teammate to whom the ball can be passed.

To some extent, these kinds of mistakes will diminish with experience, because there's no doubt that our players are very talented and smart. But it appears to me that these fundamental offensive skills -- passing and dribbling, especially against pressure defense -- could benefit from some additional attention. Does anyone know whether the women's team still practices against a team of men, as they did in the past? I would think that kind of practice could sharpen the skills that help to avoid turnovers.

CameronBornAndBred
01-05-2015, 12:20 PM
But it appears to me that these fundamental offensive skills -- passing and dribbling, especially against pressure defense -- could benefit from some additional attention.
Add shooting (and making) layups to that list. Missed layups are the bane of my DWB watching experience for too many years in a row.

Kedsy
01-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Add shooting (and making) layups to that list. Missed layups are the bane of my DWB watching experience for too many years in a row.

Yeah, but I don't think that's a Coach P phenomenon. I seem to recall lots of missed layups in the Coach G era as well.

Kfanarmy
01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Yea, I don't follow Duke Women's BB that closely but I think you never want to see a coach throw their players under the bus (assuming that quote is accurate), even if it might be true. I've always thought the coach, after a loss like that, should fall on their proverbial sword and say: "I did a poor job at preparing the players to play this game against an opponent as good as UConn." I watched some of the UConn game (including the part where Duke turned over the ball 8 times in 4 minutes during the first half). Duke barely could get the ball out of bounds after UConn scored and then couldn't get it past half court without a turnover or foul. It was truly ugly. From my uninformed view, it looked like UConn had vastly superior talent and was much better coached, a lethal combination when playing a lesser team. I don't who is to blame for that but it looks like we're simply not in the same league as UConn and maybe a few of the other elite women's programs.

I'm one of the people who believes there is a dearth of talent in WBB; it really doesn't support the number of teams in D1 being competitive...If you're outside the top10 in recruiting, you just seem to have zero chance of winning. That said I think Duke is doing well, but is being outcoached by a large margin by GA. Lesser teams stay closer to UCONN than Coach P's team, perhaps the mental game has already been decided in this one between the coaches.

There's no shame in getting outcoached by GA, virtually every other coach in D1 is. Duke women were prepared to run the court and play half court D/O. They were not prepared for the UCONN press, got rattled and never recovered. I thought there was opportunity to settle them down late in the 1st half and early in the second, but Duke went from being up two to down 17 in the critical stretch across half time without Coach calling a timeout . It was clear early in the 2nd half that Duke was out of synch, just not sure why you let that go on for 8 minutes or so frittering away a chance to get back in it.

The Roy Williams-esque comments in post game presser I don't think are acceptable. I didn't see lack of effort; I saw a lack of poise, in being able to settle down and get back to their game when things started to go south...that's on the coach as much as the players...again her portion of that matchup may already have been lost. It may take a herculean effort by the team to overcome that aspect.

AIM4excellence
01-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Duke won almost half the games against UConn under Coach G. At that point, UConn had vastly superior talent to Duke and it was clear to many of us that Coach G "out coached" Geno in the wins. She also "out coached" Pat Summitt on multiple occasions - 1999 being the most memorable. In that game, it was clearly the gameplan and the players executing it that led to one of the biggest upsets in the game and prevented Tennessee from getting their fourth NC in a row.

I'm one of the people who believes there is a dearth of talent in WBB; it really doesn't support the number of teams in D1 being competitive...If you're outside the top10 in recruiting, you just seem to have zero chance of winning. That said I think Duke is doing well, but is being outcoached by a large margin by GA. Lesser teams stay closer to UCONN than Coach P's team, perhaps the mental game has already been decided in this one between the coaches.

There's no shame in getting outcoached by GA, virtually every other coach in D1 is. Duke women were prepared to run the court and play half court D/O. They were not prepared for the UCONN press, got rattled and never recovered. I thought there was opportunity to settle them down late in the 1st half and early in the second, but Duke went from being up two to down 17 in the critical stretch across half time without Coach calling a timeout . It was clear early in the 2nd half that Duke was out of synch, just not sure why you let that go on for 8 minutes or so frittering away a chance to get back in it.

The Roy Williams-esque comments in post game presser I don't think are acceptable. I didn't see lack of effort; I saw a lack of poise, in being able to settle down and get back to their game when things started to go south...that's on the coach as much as the players...again her portion of that matchup may already have been lost. It may take a herculean effort by the team to overcome that aspect.

duke79
01-05-2015, 01:55 PM
It would be easier to comprehend if the turnover problem was significantly more acute against a team as talented and well-coached as UConn, a game in which Duke had 22 turnovers. But in the preceding game against Kentucky, Duke had 25 turnovers. And yesterday against Wake Forest, Duke had 23 turnovers. I believe that Duke has about as many McDonald's All-Americans on its roster as UConn, and more than either Kentucky or Wake Forest, so none of those teams should possess clearly superior talent.

Granted, the absence of an experienced point guard certainly accounts for some of the turnovers. But as a fan who has watched all of those games, my impression is that many of the turnovers are the result of poor fundamentals -- in particular, passes that are inaccurate, or are telegraphed, or are forced into traffic, or are simply not crisp and thus can be easily intercepted by an alert defender; players not coming to meet the pass or not getting positioned to shield the pass from a defender; and dribbling out of control in the open court or into a well-defended space instead of looking up and finding an open teammate to whom the ball can be passed.

To some extent, these kinds of mistakes will diminish with experience, because there's no doubt that our players are very talented and smart. But it appears to me that these fundamental offensive skills -- passing and dribbling, especially against pressure defense -- could benefit from some additional attention. Does anyone know whether the women's team still practices against a team of men, as they did in the past? I would think that kind of practice could sharpen the skills that help to avoid turnovers.
I defer to your more astute basketball wisdom, on this point.

cspan37421
01-05-2015, 06:51 PM
I believe one RoyWilliamsesque coach in the RTP area is more than enough. Frankly I am not so sure that ol Roy winds up so thoroughly when he throws his players under the bus. Anyway it was totally classless IMO, and if I were an AD I'd take careful note of it. I don't see flames yet, but I sure am starting to see smoke.

DU82
01-05-2015, 08:54 PM

~

> Janee Johnson
> Brittany Mitch
> Sierra Moore
> Alexis Rogers
> Chelsea Hopkins
> Alexis Jones
> Kianna Holland
> Katie Heckman
> Chloe Wells
> Sierra Calhoun

Just to be fair, I checked out the rosters from Coach G's last eight seasons. The following players transferred or left the team over those seasons (in no particular order):

Olga Gvozdenovic
Lello Gebisa
Brooke Smith
Rometra Craig
Brittany Hunter
Caitlin Howe
Laura Kurz
Janee Hayes
Crystal White
LaNedra Brown

As with Coach P's list, a few are not really relevant. Like Katie Heckman, Caitlin Howe had many knee injuries that prevented her from continuing to play (I hurt just watching her try to play with the massive knee brace she had.) Janee Hayes had two years of eligibility left, but had a child during her Junior year and did not return to the team. (Not related to an medical issue, Olga Gvozdenovic left the basketball team but stayed at Duke and was on the tennis team.)

That's ten on Coach G's list (seven transfers), compared to eleven who have left with Coach P.

AIM4excellence
01-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Just to be fair, I checked out the rosters from Coach G's last eight seasons. The following players transferred or left the team over those seasons (in no particular order):

Olga Gvozdenovic
Lello Gebisa
Brooke Smith
Rometra Craig
Brittany Hunter
Caitlin Howe
Laura Kurz
Janee Hayes
Crystal White
LaNedra Brown

As with Coach P's list, a few are not really relevant. Like Katie Heckman, Caitlin Howe had many knee injuries that prevented her from continuing to play (I hurt just watching her try to play with the massive knee brace she had.) Janee Hayes had two years of eligibility left, but had a child during her Junior year and did not return to the team. (Not related to an medical issue, Olga Gvozdenovic left the basketball team but stayed at Duke and was on the tennis team.)

That's ten on Coach G's list (seven transfers), compared to eleven who have left with Coach P.

1. It's totally fair to compare.
2. Of the players on the list, Brooke Smith and Laura Kurz played significant minutes for the team they transferred to. Both left to get more playing time. Brooke used the year off to get stronger and work on her game. Duke still had Mistie, who fit Duke's style better. Brooke developed during her year off and at Stanford and had a small role in the WNBA for a couple of years. Laura understood her playing style didn't fit the system - specifically a post shooting a LOT of three pt shots and transferred to a program (Villanova) where every player on the floor shot three pt shots whenever they were open.
3. Olga leaving the team was related to injury. She lost her confidence in the contact part of the sport and switched to a sport that did not involve contact. Coach G was fine with her leaving due to her being less effective after the injury.
4. Rometra Craig left because Mo Currie beat her out of her spot and she (Rometra) didn't want to be a back up. I lost track of where she went but didn't contribute much on the basketball floor. Rometra left as the team was boarding bus for a game at UVA. Crystal White left at the same time. She was a back up post. She transferred to LSU to be a back up post.
5. Lello was not skilled enough to play at Duke. She transferred to Wisconsin, where her sister was and didn't play much there either.
6. LaNedra transferred due to not getting along with other players.
7. Caitlin and Janee you described their situations well. Brittany Hunter left Duke, blamed Duke for her not recovering from her injury, then re-injured herself at UConn (where she wanted to be all along) jumping on a "hoppy ball" during opening night celebrations.

Basically the only player who had played a significant role on the team was Rometra Craig, who transferred near the end of the first semester of sophomore year. I forecast that transfer after watching Monique's first game. It was clear Mo was gonna be HUGE. It was also clear Rometra wasn't going to be happy as a back up player. Was it fair for Coach G to recruit a "franchise player" who played the same position as a current frosh?

No player transferred who was starting and was projected to start throughout their career at Duke.

Comparisons with transfers during the Coach G era are fair to make. I think somebody already ran through details of the McCallie era transfers.

DU82
01-05-2015, 10:53 PM
2. Of the players on the list, Brooke Smith and Laura Kurz played significant minutes for the team they transferred to. Both left to get more playing time. Brooke used the year off to get stronger and work on her game. Duke still had Mistie, who fit Duke's style better. Brooke developed during her year off and at Stanford and had a small role in the WNBA for a couple of years. Laura understood her playing style didn't fit the system - specifically a post shooting a LOT of three pt shots and transferred to a program (Villanova) where every player on the floor shot three pt shots whenever they were open.
3. Olga leaving the team was related to injury. She lost her confidence in the contact part of the sport and switched to a sport that did not involve contact. Coach G was fine with her leaving due to her being less effective after the injury.

Thank you for the correction about Olga. I remembered her leaving the team and eventually playing tennis, but did not recall an injury.

Watching Brooke play her freshman year, I thought she was going to be a very good player, but besides possible playing time she was across the country from her roots and family. A much better fit at Stanford.

And regarding Laura Kurz and Villanova, Harry hasn't changed his coaching style at all in the years before or since. Live or die by the three. (He at least recruits to his coaching style.) One of the last of the "founding coaches" at a major school (I'd still call the Big East a major conference for basketball) that essentially set up a program in the late '70s, and the transition to women's programs in the NCAA. (Akin to if Debbie Leonard was still coaching here.)

Laura was an assistant at Lehigh for a couple of years, but left to go to a private high school in PA (she's an assistant coach there, but that's not her main job at the school.)

Regarding recent transfers, I didn't realize Janee Johnson was still playing, as a graduate student at Seton Hall. (By way of a community college.) Obviously still too early on some of the transfers (Alexis in particular) but none have gone on to really great careers at their new school.

AIM4excellence
01-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Thank you for the correction about Olga. I remembered her leaving the team and eventually playing tennis, but did not recall an injury.

Watching Brooke play her freshman year, I thought she was going to be a very good player, but besides possible playing time she was across the country from her roots and family. A much better fit at Stanford.

And regarding Laura Kurz and Villanova, Harry hasn't changed his coaching style at all in the years before or since. Live or die by the three. (He at least recruits to his coaching style.) One of the last of the "founding coaches" at a major school (I'd still call the Big East a major conference for basketball) that essentially set up a program in the late '70s, and the transition to women's programs in the NCAA. (Akin to if Debbie Leonard was still coaching here.)

Laura was an assistant at Lehigh for a couple of years, but left to go to a private high school in PA (she's an assistant coach there, but that's not her main job at the school.)

Regarding recent transfers, I didn't realize Janee Johnson was still playing, as a graduate student at Seton Hall. (By way of a community college.) Obviously still too early on some of the transfers (Alexis in particular) but none have gone on to really great careers at their new school.

I had special fondness for Laura Kurz and was very sad when I heard of her transferring. She's a total sweetheart and her parents very kind hearted. One additional thing - when she arrived at Duke, she was closer to 6'1 or 6'2 and was more of a wing. She grew 2-3" over that summer so was now in the 6'4-6'5 range and Duke needed the height. I can see Harry salivating right now at Laura shooting over guards as she was very accurate from behind the arc. At Duke, it was like "go rebound - you're tall." I loved watching her play at Villanova and completely understood her transfer. Thanks for the update on her post-college career. I'm sure she's spreading sweetness around wherever she is.

Kedsy
01-05-2015, 11:23 PM
1. It's totally fair to compare.

I think up until Sierra, the lists were pretty similar. Alexis was perhaps better than any of Coach G's transfers, but since she was missing a whole year with her injury, I think she was a special case.

No idea what the deal is with Sierra. It's a complete shocker to me.

Furniture
01-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Has anyone ever just thought this is a case of normal college struggles. College is just not easy for some kids. One college works another doesn't.
My own daughter had times at Duke where she struggled. She stayed but plenty of kids transfer or even drop out. Sports is different but it could happen.

AIM4excellence
01-06-2015, 01:35 AM
Has anyone ever just thought this is a case of normal college struggles. College is just not easy for some kids. One college works another doesn't.
My own daughter had times at Duke where she struggled. She stayed but plenty of kids transfer or even drop out. Sports is different but it could happen.

This transfer was not about academics. Sierra left in good academic standing. It definitely happens, but not in this case. So does homesickness, but not in this case.

dudog84
01-06-2015, 02:02 AM
This transfer was not about academics. Sierra left in good academic standing. It definitely happens, but not in this case. So does homesickness, but not in this case.

If you know something, say it. "Good academic standing" means she wasn't flunking out. Doesn't mean she didn't struggle, or thought "man, I don't want to go through another three and a half years of this". Who knows? And do you know it wasn't homesickness? I haven't heard a peep one way or the other, not that I'm in any position to. But I'm also not trying to suggest I know what's going on in an 18-year-old's head, heart, etc.

Transfers happen, and not just for playing time or competition. Elena Delle Donne left UConn, Diamond Deshields left UNC. It happens to the best and worst of programs (heh heh).

You can't just state something as fact with nothing to back it up. Oops, I'm sorry, this is the internet. I guess you can.

Karl Beem
01-06-2015, 07:00 AM
I think up until Sierra, the lists were pretty similar. Alexis was perhaps better than any of Coach G's transfers, but since she was missing a whole year with her injury, I think she was a special case.

No idea what the deal is with Sierra. It's a complete shocker to me.

You think that Sierra being the #5 wing next year has something to do with it?

Furniture
01-06-2015, 07:18 AM

I didn't mean academics either. Home sickness, not fitting in, struggle to make friends. A lot of kids end up being really depressed at college and in the end just need another support system.

Mike Corey
01-06-2015, 09:13 AM
I didn't mean academics either. Home sickness, not fitting in, struggle to make friends. A lot of kids end up being really depressed at college and in the end just need another support system.

This is not why Sierra is transferring.

uh_no
01-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Transfers happen, and not just for playing time or competition. Elena Delle Donne left UConn, Diamond Deshields left UNC. It happens to the best and worst of programs (heh heh).

For the record:

Delle Donne left Uconn because she wanted to be closer to her sister who had cerebral Palsy.
Deshields left UNC because she wanted to play with her friend who had originally also committed to UNC, but then reneged and went to tennessee.

Still supports your point that people transfer for all sorts of reasons, and we don't know Sierra's yet.

jv001
01-06-2015, 09:48 AM
This is not why Sierra is transferring.

If Mike says it, I believe it. Maybe we'll know one day. GoDuke!

gumbomoop
01-06-2015, 09:56 AM

This surprises me. I have been assuming that Lambert and Salvadores would share PG spot next season. Then, Stevens and Greenwell to start at wings. I see that Duke will have 3 new frosh wings next season, too, but I'd not at all have guessed 2 of them would so quickly move ahead of the experienced Calhoun.

Do you mean that either Lambert or Salvadores will play lots of wing in 2015-16?

GGLC
01-06-2015, 10:02 AM

From what I've heard, it didn't have anything to do with it at all.

Duvall
01-06-2015, 10:03 AM

Given that she transferred in the *middle* of a season in which was playing 30 minutes per game, almost certainly not.

AIM4excellence
01-06-2015, 10:38 AM
If Mike says it, I believe it. Maybe we'll know one day. GoDuke!

I'm glad there's somebody who's trusted here and not immediately doubted and pestered for sources. I have some of the same sources as Mike, by the way.

Des Esseintes
01-06-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm glad there's somebody who's trusted here and not immediately doubted and pestered for sources. I have some of the same sources as Mike, by the way.

I wonder what Mike could be doing differently from you. A real conundrum, yeah?

Mike Corey
01-06-2015, 10:47 AM
From what I've heard, it didn't have anything to do with it at all.

Her playing time--current and projected--had nothing to do with the transfer.

CameronBornAndBred
01-06-2015, 10:51 AM
In this round of 20 questions, we are running out of options that don't point to issues within the team/program itself that she was unhappy with.

GGLC
01-06-2015, 11:03 AM

Yup.

I don't think I can say more -- I only know a bit more anyway, including the likely precipitating incident -- because if my source wanted to, they could chime in themselves, but if you feel like providing any more detail on this front, I think it would be much appreciated by me and others so this thread isn't just competing speculation and veiled allusions.

AIM4excellence
01-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Yup.

I don't think I can say more -- I only know a bit more anyway, including the likely precipitating incident -- because if my source wanted to, they could chime in themselves, but if you feel like providing any more detail on this front, I think it would be much appreciated by me and others so this thread isn't just competing speculation and veiled allusions.

Nobody but the actual participants can provide more details at this point. People/fans are curious, but some patience is required right now.

burnspbesq
01-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Some transfers are win-win. Chelsea Hopkins is a perfect example. She was never going to be an impact player in the ACC, but she had a really nice career at San Diego State, and her departure freed up a scholarship.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-06-2015, 04:07 PM
This thread is fairly disgusting at this point.

Look, it sounds like this has nothing to do with basketball. Imagine the entirety of reasons that people who you knew in college took time off or left, and just assume that it's one of those. We are talking about 19 year old kids here. If it isn't a "basketball" reason, I'm fully fine with making the leap to "none of our business" unless we are told otherwise.

If it would make folks feel better, I could make a list of all the reasons that I know of people transfer/quit that I wouldn't feel warrant an explanation to a fan base.

- Existential Crisis
- Family Emergency
- Heartbreak
- Drug Issues
- Assault
- Depression
- World Travel
- Academic Troubles
- Pet Died
- Pregnancy
- Money Problems
- Change of Major
- Personal Issues with Classmates
- Illness
- Boredom

So on and so on.

Now, I feel very uncomfortable about putting this young lady against this checklist and marking ones off that we are certain aren't relevant. Can't we just wish her well and wait to see if an announcement is made? If it comes out that it was issues with the coach or playing time, then we can bring it back to the table. Until then, best of luck to her.

Duvall
01-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Look, it sounds like this has nothing to do with basketball.

What makes you say that?

If it isn't a "basketball" reason, I'm fully fine with making the leap to "none of our business" unless we are told otherwise.

If it would make folks feel better, I could make a list of all the reasons that I know of people transfer/quit that I wouldn't feel warrant an explanation to a fan base.

I don't think that the *fanbase* is owed an explanation regardless of the reason. But I would hope that the athletic department is aware of the reason, at least if it's not a personal one.

GGLC
01-06-2015, 04:14 PM

Look, it sounds like this has nothing to do with basketball. Imagine the entirety of reasons that people who you knew in college took time off or left, and just assume that it's one of those. We are talking about 19 year old kids here. If it isn't a "basketball" reason, I'm fully fine with making the leap to "none of our business" unless we are told otherwise.

- Existential Crisis
- Family Emergency
- Heartbreak
- Drug Issues
- Assault
- Depression
- World Travel
- Academic Troubles
- Pet Died
- Pregnancy
- Money Problems
- Change of Major
- Illness
- Boredom

So on and so on.

Now, I feel very uncomfortable about putting this young lady against this checklist and marking ones off that we are certain aren't relevant. Can't we just wish her well and wait to see if an announcement is made? If it comes out that it was issues with the coach or playing time, then we can bring it back to the table. Until then, best of luck to her.

What I have heard suggests specifically that it was issues with the coach.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-06-2015, 04:19 PM

Well, if that is true, I shall dismount my high horse.

The level of speculation just makes me very uncomfortable.

CameronBornAndBred
01-06-2015, 04:40 PM

- Assault
- Pet Died
- Pregnancy

Coach P kicked Sierra's pregnant cat to death.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Coach P kicked Sierra's pregnant cat to death.

It must be true -- I just read that on the internet five seconds ago.

Whatever the reason, good luck to Sierra and whatever we need to do to right the ship here at home -- get 'er done.

Karl Beem
01-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Given that she transferred in the *middle* of a season in which was playing 30 minutes per game, almost certainly not.

And next year she might be down to 15 a game.

BTW my definition of a wing is 1, 2 or 3.

Karl Beem
01-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Yup.

Indeed.

slower
01-06-2015, 05:16 PM

My definition of a wing is an arm with feathers. :p

OldPhiKap
01-06-2015, 05:18 PM
My definition of a wing is an arm with feathers. :p

I prefer to eat mine without feathers, but that's because I hate that "tickle in your throat" feeling.

I've never heard of anyone refer to a pg as a wing, but that's just me.

Duvall
01-06-2015, 05:18 PM
And next year she might be down to 15 a game.

That's a reason for transferring in April, after the season. Not in January, where if she doesn't move quickly she'll end up burning a year of eligibility.

Also, that's not what a wing is.

duke79
01-06-2015, 06:06 PM

- Existential Crisis
- Family Emergency
- Heartbreak
- Drug Issues
- Assault
- Depression
- World Travel
- Academic Troubles
- Pet Died
- Pregnancy
- Money Problems
- Change of Major
- Illness
- Boredom

So on and so on.

So true and well said. Really none of our business why she decided to transfer. Even if it were some sort of issue with the coach personally or playing time issues, etc, it would certainly NOT be the first time a college or pro athlete doesn't get along with his or her coach.

Furthermore, on the relative scale of world problems and issues, I would put this incidence towards the bottom of the list.

GGLC
01-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Furthermore, on the relative scale of world problems and issues, I would put this incidence towards the bottom of the list.

...As is literally everything we discuss on this message board, including the results of Duke basketball games. I guess it's time to reevaluate how we all spend our lives.

uh_no
01-06-2015, 06:51 PM
...As is literally everything we discuss on this message board, including the results of Duke basketball games. I guess it's time to reevaluate how we all spend our lives.

lets be fair....what state makes the best bbq is a matter of life or death!

OldPhiKap
01-06-2015, 08:23 PM

lets be fair....what state makes the best bbq is a matter of life or death!

A Carolina loss is somehow equivalent to an earthquake in Haiti.

Steven43
01-07-2015, 01:19 AM
Well, if that is true, I shall dismount my high horse.

The level of speculation just makes me very uncomfortable.

What truly made me uncomfortable were a couple of conversations I had with Chloe Wells in the late winter/early spring of 2014 concerning the state of the program. We often would share a basket while shooting at a local gym and would discuss such issues as her injury status, future plans, reasons for no longer being a part of Duke Basketball, etc. It appeared evident from these conversations that Chloe was unhappy with Coach P's manner and coaching style, which allegedly often involves denigrating and belittling players in front of teammates and coaches. Wells said she did not feel singled-out in this regard either, as similar interactions 'happened all the time' between other players and Coach P.

That being said, I have no first-hand knowledge of Coach P. and her typical manner of interacting with players and coaches. This is all strictly second-hand information. To that end, I do not know if Ms. Wells had an axe to grind with Coach P., which easily could have unfairly negatively colored her interpretation of events. I only know Ms. Wells on a casual level, though she seems quite genuine, thoughtful, outgoing and respectful. I really did not get the sense that she was out to get anyone or simply making things up out of spite. And she had very nice things to say about Duke University overall. Who knows what the truth is? I certainly do not, as I wasn't there. I'm simply relaying the words of someone who was.

jv001
01-07-2015, 07:34 AM
What truly made me uncomfortable were a couple of conversations I had with Chloe Wells in the late winter/early spring of 2014 concerning the state of the program. We often would share a basket while shooting at a local gym and would discuss such issues as her injury status, future plans, reasons for no longer being a part of Duke Basketball, etc. It appeared evident from these conversations that Chloe was unhappy with Coach P's manner and coaching style, which allegedly often involves denigrating and belittling players in front of teammates and coaches. Wells said she did not feel singled-out in this regard either, as similar interactions 'happened all the time' between other players and Coach P.

That being said, I have no first-hand knowledge of Coach P. and her typical manner of interacting with players and coaches. This is all strictly second-hand information. To that end, I do not know if Ms. Wells had an axe to grind with Coach P., which easily could have unfairly negatively colored her interpretation of events. I only know Ms. Wells on a casual level, though she seems quite genuine, thoughtful, outgoing and respectful. I really did not get the sense that she was out to get anyone or simply making things up out of spite. And she had very nice things to say about Duke University overall. Who knows what the truth is? I certainly do not, as I wasn't there. I'm simply relaying the words of someone who was.

Thanks and a spork from me. Good to hear from someone that has talked to a player and can give us a better informed opinion on things pertaining to Duke womens basketball. GoDuke!

AIM4excellence
01-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks and a spork from me. Good to hear from someone that has talked to a player and can give us a better informed opinion on things pertaining to Duke womens basketball. GoDuke!

This exactly matches multiple reports I've received from player families and others who may or may not have been present to personally witness. I did see a printed out e-mail from one player to another that a parent had printed out and carried with them. She pulled it right out to show me. Everyone I've talked to has specifically requested to not be identified and I have honored their request. I understand that some do not want anything posted unless it is verified in writing or being able to identify the source. But I cross check everything I hear with at least one other source. Again, this report exactly matches what I've heard from multiple people with connection to DWB.

GGLC
01-07-2015, 11:34 AM
This exactly matches multiple reports I've received from player families and others who may or may not have been present to personally witness. I did see a printed out e-mail from one player to another that a parent had printed out and carried with them. She pulled it right out to show me. Everyone I've talked to has specifically requested to not be identified and I have honored their request. I understand that some do not want anything posted unless it is verified in writing or being able to identify the source. But I cross check everything I hear with at least one other source. Again, this report exactly matches what I've heard from multiple people with connection to DWB.

Ditto.

dudog84
01-07-2015, 06:24 PM
At first blush this is very concerning. But on reflection, I have 100% confidence in AD Kevin White controlling the situation if there is any abuse of players occurring. There have been a couple of basketball coaches fired recently over this very circumstance.

Every game I watch I see a coach denigrating and belittling his team in a time out in front of thousands of fans and millions on TV. I can’t imagine what practice is like. Maybe that’s why I swam, the coach could only scream at us between laps. Of course, I certainly wasn’t at this level either.

I think it comes with the territory in major college programs. I’m sure there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed, and I’m equally sure that if this was a team-wide problem it would be dealt with quickly and rather harshly by the Duke administration.

AIM4excellence
01-07-2015, 07:09 PM
At first blush this is very concerning. But on reflection, I have 100% confidence in AD Kevin White controlling the situation if there is any abuse of players occurring. There have been a couple of basketball coaches fired recently over this very circumstance.

Every game I watch I see a coach denigrating and belittling his team in a time out in front of thousands of fans and millions on TV. I can’t imagine what practice is like. Maybe that’s why I swam, the coach could only scream at us between laps. Of course, I certainly wasn’t at this level either.

I think it comes with the territory in major college programs. I’m sure there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed, and I’m equally sure that if this was a team-wide problem it would be dealt with quickly and rather harshly by the Duke administration.

They've known about the problems described for 6-7 years. Since they're still occurring, they haven't been dealt with sufficiently. Before I'm asked - no I don't have evidence. Just player parents telling me who at Duke they and their daughters told.

Bike4Fun
01-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Did Sierra Calhoun actually transfer to another school, or just leave Duke? Is she out of school at this time, or enrolled somewhere without a decision to play basketball in the future? I've seen no D1-D3 athletic program announcements of her enrollment, so I suppose that being enrolled without a formal decision to play is possible.