PDA

View Full Version : The perfect point guard?

Johnny D.
01-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Tyus Jones is terrific. He is Robin to Jahlil Okafor's Batman. Or, to be more contemporary, Tyus is Robin and Jah is Cyborg as Duke's Teen Titans.
Seriously, Jones gives us buckets when we need 'em, dimes when we need 'em, and lets Q play off the ball. Most impressive, though, is Tyus' ability to get to the line. Coming into yesterday's game, he was leading the team in free throw attempts -- unusual for a point guard -- and nailing 86 percent of them.
I'll call him the perfect point guard once he shows more in-your-face-5-second-violation-Tommy-Amaker-type defense. Until then, I'll take what we got. Teen Titans Go!

OldPhiKap
01-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Tyus is a Simon to MP3's Garfunkel.

Tyus got game.

MartyClark
01-01-2015, 04:03 PM
This kid is really good. I love seeing him in transition, he always makes the good pass to the open team mate.

This team is fun to watch.

MChambers
01-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Tyus is great, especially for a freshman. Of course, a guy named Hurley was a pretty fair PG.

moonpie23
01-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Tyus is great, especially for a freshman. Of course, a guy named Hurley was a pretty fair PG.

correct on both.......should we go ahead and start the "NAME ANOTHER POINT GUARD AS GOOD AS BOBBY HURLEY" thread?

prolly won't be too many posts in response...

jipops
01-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Hurley was an excellent pg as freshman but he certainly had his freshman moments. Enough where had this board existed in 1990 there would probably be a few calling for him to be benched in favor of McCaffery.

jtheall
01-01-2015, 09:42 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but has anyone else noticed how good Tyus is at drawing the foul on three-pointers? I've seen at least 5 from him this year already.

Johnny D.
01-01-2015, 10:00 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but has anyone else noticed how good Tyus is at drawing the foul on three-pointers? I've seen at least 5 from him this year already.

Word. Tyus has invented a new term: 4-point threat.

luvdahops
01-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Hurley was an excellent pg as freshman but he certainly had his freshman moments. Enough where had this board existed in 1990 there would probably be a few calling for him to be benched in favor of McCaffery.

Hurley had a lot of ups and downs as a freshman. He only shot 35% from the floor and averaged over 4 turnovers per game, often committing them in bunches (had 10 in a blowout loss at Chapel Hill). He pouted noticeably on the court with some frequency (enough that the staff saw fit to make a tape to show him just how bad his body language and facial expressions were).

Tyus seems considerably steadier and more poised than Hurley was as a freshman. I doubt he'll get anywhere close to Bobby's 7.6 apg (a strong figure for any PG but downright incredible for a freshman), but he should wind up with a much better A:TO ratio, while shooting a much higher percentage and being a bigger and more reliable scoring threat generally. He will likely never be in Hurley's class as a defender, though.

sagegrouse
01-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Hurley had a lot of ups and downs as a freshman. He only shot 35% from the floor and averaged over 4 turnovers per game, often committing them in bunches (had 10 in a blowout loss at Chapel Hill). He pouted noticeably on the court with some frequency (enough that the staff saw fit to make a tape to show him just how bad his body language and facial expressions were).

I'm pretty sure the "pout-tape" was much later than freshman year.

Bay Area Duke Fan
01-02-2015, 01:13 AM

Tyus seems considerably steadier and more poised than Hurley was as a freshman. I doubt he'll get anywhere close to Bobby's 7.6 apg (a strong figure for any PG but downright incredible for a freshman), but he should wind up with a much better A:TO ratio, while shooting a much higher percentage and being a bigger and more reliable scoring threat generally. He will likely never be in Hurley's class as a defender, though.

Freshman point guard Hurley led his team to the NCAA championship game. Let's hope that freshman Tyus can lead this year's team to a better ending.

Edouble
01-02-2015, 04:10 AM
Tyus Jones is terrific. He is Robin to Jahlil Okafor's Batman. Or, to be more contemporary, Tyus is Robin and Jah is Cyborg as Duke's Teen Titans.
Seriously, Jones gives us buckets when we need 'em, dimes when we need 'em, and lets Q play off the ball. Most impressive, though, is Tyus' ability to get to the line. Coming into yesterday's game, he was leading the team in free throw attempts -- unusual for a point guard -- and nailing 86 percent of them.
I'll call him the perfect point guard once he shows more in-your-face-5-second-violation-Tommy-Amaker-type defense. Until then, I'll take what we got. Teen Titans Go!

Should be Tyus's.

Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding an 's, no matter the final consonant. Exceptions are the possessives of ancient proper names ending in -es and -is (Moses' law, Isis' temple), the possessive Jesus', and such forms as for conscience' sake, for righteousness' sake.

Freshman point guard Hurley led his team to the NCAA championship game. Let's hope that freshman Tyus can lead this year's team to a better ending.

The perfect freshman point guard, as far as I know, was Kenny Anderson, who led his team to what was effectively the NCAA Championship game that same year.

gurufrisbee
01-02-2015, 10:34 AM
It has a lot to do being perfect for your team, as well. Hurley was great as a pass first spark plug on a team loaded with scoring options. Tyus is really a good fit here on a young, talented team as well. Heck, Scheyer was basically the perfect point guard his senior year for that team - and he wasn't even a point guard. One could argue Duhon and Jason Williams were both at times nearly perfect point guards for their teams. Paulus....well, no. But I do think that a lot of those guys if you put them with different squads aren't nearly as good.

luvdahops
01-02-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the "pout-tape" was much later than freshman year.

I believe it came midway through his sophomore year. Point being that the staff felt pretty strongly that the pouting had held back his game up to that point. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I believe Hurley played demonstrably better over the second half of the year. Which of course culminated in our first title.

sagegrouse
01-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Should be Tyus's.

Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding an 's, no matter the final consonant. Exceptions are the possessives of ancient proper names ending in -es and -is (Moses' law, Isis' temple), the possessive Jesus', and such forms as for conscience' sake, for righteousness' sake.

The perfect freshman point guard, as far as I know, was Kenny Anderson, who led his team to what was effectively the NCAA Championship game that same year.

Actually, while there is a rule about possessive forms of names ending in "s," it is actually a confusing mess. Here's a passage that was wandering around the internet:

Showing possession in English is a relatively easy matter (believe it or not). By adding an apostrophe and an s we can manage to transform most singular nouns into their possessive form:

the car's front seat
Charles's car
Bartkowski's book
a hard day's work

Some writers will say that the -s after Charles' is not necessary and that adding only the apostrophe (Charles' car) will suffice to show possession. Consistency is the key here: if you choose not to add the -s after a noun that already ends in s, do so consistently throughout your text. William Strunk's Elements of Style recommends adding the 's. (In fact, oddly enough, it's Rule Number One in Strunk's "Elementary Rules of Usage.") You will find that some nouns, especially proper nouns, especially when there are other -s and -z sounds involved, turn into clumsy beasts when you add another s: "That's old Mrs. Chambers's estate." In that case, you're better off with "Mrs. Chambers' estate."
To answer that question about Illinois, you should know that most words that end in an unpronounced "s" form their possessive by adding an apostrophe + s. So we would write about "Illinois's next governor" and "Arkansas's former governor" and "the Marine Corps's policy." However, many non-English words that end with a silent "s" or "x" will form their possessives with only an apostrophe. So we would write "Alexander Dumas' first novel" and "this bordeaux' bouquet." According to the New York Public Library's Guide to Style and Usage, there are "certain expressions that end in s or the s sound that traditionally require an apostrophe only: for appearance' sake, for conscience' sake, for goodness' sake" (268). Incidentally, the NYPL Guide also suggests that when a word ends in a double s, we're better off writing its possessive with only an apostrophe: the boss' memo, the witness' statement. Many writers insist, however, that we actually hear an "es" sound attached to the possessive forms of these words, so an apostrophe -s is appropriate: boss's memo, witness's statement. If the look of the three s's in a row doesn't bother you, use that construction.

When we want the possessive of a pluralized family name, we pluralize first and then simply make the name possessive with the use of an apostrophe. Thus, we might travel in the Smiths' car when we visit the Joneses (members of the Jones family) at the Joneses' home. When the last name ends in a hard "z" sound, we usually don't add an "s" or the "-es" and simply add the apostrophe: "the Chambers' new baby."

subzero02
01-02-2015, 12:43 PM

Scheyer was the best at this... Maybe he's taught Tyus a thing or two in practice and pickup games.

BrazyATX
01-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Perfect for a freshman sure. Doesn't turn it over, great assist man and floor general (split duties with Quinn sometimes). Can score when needed and seems to stay very focused and calm in tight situations, maybe even improves slightly.

He doesn't have a great slashing ability though, and even though we've seen a flash here and there, he hasn't shown an ability to take games over at will consistently (not that he's really needed to though).

I'm anxious to see how he does in conference games now.

Edouble
01-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Actually, while there is a rule about possessive forms of names ending in "s," it is actually a confusing mess. Here's a passage that was wandering around the internet:

My rule is taken from the referenced Strunk and White, which I will stick with over some "passage wandering around on the internet".

I do not mean to direct any condemning tone towards you, sir. I just like S&W. It has always served me well.

SupaDave
01-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Should be Tyus's.

I see your Kenny Anderson and raise you a Jarrett Jack (who had a weaker supporting cast).

CDu
01-02-2015, 08:55 PM
I see your Kenny Anderson and raise you a Jarrett Jack (who had a weaker supporting cast).

Jack was a sophomore when he led Tech to the title game. As a freshman he was very good (9.5 ppg and 6.0 apg), but had nothing on freshman Anderson (20.8 ppg and 8.1 apg).

Anderson was a freak in college from day one. It sort of saddens me that he didn't do more in the NBA.

jv001
01-02-2015, 09:00 PM
Jack was a sophomore when he led Tech to the title game. As a freshman he was very good (9.5 ppg and 6.0 apg), but had nothing on freshman Anderson (20.8 ppg and 8.1 apg).

Anderson was a freak in college from day one. It sort of saddens me that he didn't do more in the NBA.

Yeh, the good old Georgia Tech vs. Duke days. Man, we had some battles and I liked Bobby Cremins. GoDuke!

SupaDave
01-03-2015, 03:07 PM
This kid out of Winston was pretty good too. Cliff Paul or something like that...

CDu
01-03-2015, 03:53 PM
This kid out of Winston was pretty good too. Cliff Paul or something like that...

Yeah... Adequate, I guess...

OldPhiKap
01-03-2015, 05:44 PM

What he sell insurance like?

jv001
01-03-2015, 09:07 PM

yeh, but he was a nut job, right? :cool: GoDuke!

-jk
01-03-2015, 10:17 PM

Ouch!

-jk

devildeac
01-03-2015, 10:30 PM

Yeah... Adequate, I guess...

More or less. Yea, that's the ticket. Les Paul. Played/invented/built a pretty good guitar, too:p.

Indoor66
01-04-2015, 07:47 AM
More or less. Yea, that's the ticket. Les Paul. Played/invented/built a pretty good guitar, too:p.

He was nothing without a Ford. :cool:

Tripping William
01-04-2015, 12:56 PM

Julian Hodge thinks so, yes.

Indoor66
01-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Julian Hodge thinks so, yes.

So does Julius.

Tripping William
01-04-2015, 06:59 PM
So does Julius.

Was Cliff taste-checking Julius's tires? I think he might have been .....