PDA

View Full Version : The Heels get a recruit--for 3 years from now.

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2014, 08:01 PM
#7 in the class of 2017, Jalek Felton (last name ring a bell?) is headed to Chapel Hill.
I bet Roy hopes he can seek out more family members, might be the only way he gets anyone of significance. Nobody else had a chance with this guy.

"It's been a dream of his for a long time," said Fred Cannon, Felton's AAU coach with Team Felton. "It's all he's ever talked about. He sees it as more of a legacy-type thing."
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/story/_/id/12100380/north-carolina-tar-heels-land-jalek-felton-class-2017-no-7

striker219
12-30-2014, 08:21 PM
So when the news comes in that the school doesn't have a scholarship to offer, who makes the call to break the news to the kid? Does Roy man up and Skype him himself, or does he make Uncle Ray call the kid to let him know that it's time to pay for the sins of the, uh, uncle.

uh_no
12-30-2014, 08:28 PM
So when the news comes in that the school doesn't have a scholarship to offer, who makes the call to break the news to the kid? Does Roy man up and Skype him himself, or does he make Uncle Ray call the kid to let him know that it's time to pay for the sins of the, uh, uncle.

Nah, I think Fats Thomas takes care of that. It's part of the standard agent contract offered to all incoming UNC players.

Henderson
12-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Sounds like the kid is living a life-long dream, so I'm happy for him. He must be thrilled.

2 ½ years is a long time though. What're the odds Roy will be his coach? I say less than even money by at least a year.

Duvall
12-30-2014, 08:36 PM

Nah, UNC rosters are always stuffed with players that can be "cut" to make room for a top recruit.

JasonEvans
12-31-2014, 10:05 AM
He's not a likely 1-and-done so I'm sure Carolina will be elligible for post-season play by the time he is a junior.

House G
12-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Speaking of 2017 recruits, check this out:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24923577/video-the-most-amazing-high-school-dunk-youve-ever-seen

Duke95
12-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Pretty good get for UNC. I would be shocked if UNC gets the probation it deserves, so he'll be fine.

PDDuke85
12-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Pretty good get for UNC. I would be shocked if UNC gets the probation it deserves, so he'll be fine.

And, as a high school sophomore, he's already more than qualified academically for the flagship.

Duke95
12-31-2014, 11:12 AM
And, as a high school sophomore, he's already more than qualified academically for the flagship.

I heard he spelled Wisconsin so well in 7th grade, he earned 15 credits toward a UNC degree.

CameronBornAndBred
12-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Favorite from the comments section...

Felton got three credit hours for his verbal commitment.

devildeac
12-31-2014, 12:16 PM

A verbal made it even easier than "taking" a paper class. :rolleyes:

jv001
12-31-2014, 01:20 PM

When he eventually signs his letter of intent to play for the cheaters, he'll get more credits.:cool: GoDuke!

PDDuke85
12-31-2014, 01:41 PM
When he eventually signs his letter of intent to play for the cheaters, he'll get more credits.:cool: GoDuke!

3 credits for crayon
4 credits for pencil
6 credits for ink

captmojo
12-31-2014, 01:43 PM
Did Uncle RayRay hold him at gunpoint? I smell an investigation looming.

weezie
12-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Looking ahead we might get the chance to berate RayRay again in Cameron. Surely he'll cram his fat can into the seats behind the hole bench!

captmojo
01-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Looking ahead we might get the chance to berate RayRay again in Cameron. Surely he'll cram his fat can into the seats behind the hole bench!

Hope he ain't packin'! :cool:

Duvall
07-17-2015, 04:34 PM
"I'm committed to UNC, unless you bums get nuked by the NCAA in which case you are on your own." (http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1564369-felton-talking-to-other-schools)

Five-star guard junior-to-be guard Jalek Felton announced his verbal pledge to North Carolina on December 30th.

But since then, the 6-foot-3 gifted combination has admitted that he’s still considering other college options. On Friday at the Under Armour Finals, Felton told Scout that he’s been communicating with other schools.

“It’s about the same,” Felton said of his recruitment. “I’ve been hearing from Kentucky, South Carolina and Kansas a little bit. It’s been the same, and North Carolina, of course. It’s been the same.”

“It’s still open,” he added. “I just verbally committed, but it’s still open.”

'kay.

rasputin
07-17-2015, 05:00 PM
"I'm committed to UNC, unless you bums get nuked by the NCAA in which case you are on your own." (http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1564369-felton-talking-to-other-schools)

'kay.

His definition of "committed" isn't the same as mine.

timmy c
07-17-2015, 05:51 PM

Felton is committed to UNC. UNC is committed to educating student athletes.

TruBlu
07-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Any recruit who signs with UNC should be committed.

Pghdukie
07-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Committed to Fats or World Wide Wes ?

NSDukeFan
07-17-2015, 09:13 PM

I don't think that word means what he thinks it means.

Duke95
07-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Felton isn't going to UNC. He's already preparing the UNC faithful for a "tough decision"..."had to do what was best for me"...."Kentucky...."

Olympic Fan
07-18-2015, 12:09 AM
Felton isn't going to UNC. He's already preparing the UNC faithful for a "tough decision"..."had to do what was best for me"...."Kentucky...."

I tend to agree.

Felton has about as much chance of ending up at UNC as UNC does of avoiding NCAA sanctions -- in other words, none at all

BD80
07-18-2015, 12:18 AM

“I’ve been hearing from Kentucky, South Carolina and Kansas a little bit. It’s been the same, and North Carolina, of course. It’s been the same.”

“It’s still open,” he added. “I just verbally committed, but it’s still open.” ' ...

Sounds like he is begging for someone to sweep him away from the unc mess. The only question in my mind: does calipari want him?

madscavenger
07-18-2015, 06:56 AM
3 credits for crayon
4 credits for pencil
6 credits for ink

Don't forget the bonus --- 10 credits for being able to tell them apart.

budwom
07-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Wonderful, wonderful quote at IC today, possible Hall of Fame material: Felton is acting as a spy for Ol Roy to hear what lies other schools are spreading about unc's (non) scandal....and then
Ol Roy will report them guys to the NCAA for appropriate punishment. Seriously.

oldnavy
07-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Wonderful, wonderful quote at IC today, possible Hall of Fame material: Felton is acting as a spy for Ol Roy to hear what lies other schools are spreading about unc's (non) scandal....and then

So over in the bazaro world known as Chapel Hill, UNC is going to report someone for lying to a recruit???? I would say "unbelievable", but it really is believable.

I often wonder how these folks actually survive real life with all the difficulties and potential pitfalls. Seriously, if they are really that gullible, how do they handle telemarketers, and Ponzi scammers?

CameronBornAndBred
07-18-2015, 10:13 AM
I often wonder how these folks actually survive real life with all the difficulties and potential pitfalls. Seriously, if they are really that gullible, how do they handle telemarketers, and Ponzi scammers?
Business is booming in Chapel Hill.

BD80
07-18-2015, 10:17 AM

With a diploma

MarkD83
07-18-2015, 10:19 AM
The fact that Felton is reconsidering is a sign to me that basketball recruits do not believe what Roy is telling them about the fate of MBBs at UNC.

On the other hand football recruits are still believing what Fedora is saying. Perhaps part of that story is that UNC FB has been "partially" punished already for the scandal and may get off with a reduced set of penalties. (I think I'll move the rest of this comment to the other thread.)

OldPhiKap
07-18-2015, 10:26 AM
Maybe the Hat is simply working harder at recruiting, while Roy is phoning it in and coasting on a brand name that ain't what it once was.

It is odd that the scandal has little seeming effect on football recruiting, but MBB is struggling so.

Of course, maybe it is just sample size. Kedsey, we expect a regression analysis pronto please.

Duke95
07-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Maybe the Hat is simply working harder at recruiting, while Roy is phoning it in and coasting on a brand name that ain't what it once was.

It is odd that the scandal has little seeming effect on football recruiting, but MBB is struggling so.

Of course, maybe it is just sample size. Kedsey, we expect a regression analysis pronto please.

Roy is done after this year, I think. He's offered 20 recruits. He's getting outworked on recruiting and doesn't seem to care. He hasn't kept in touch with Felton about the scandal.
MBB is getting hammered, and everyone knows it.

OldPhiKap
07-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Roy is done after this year, I think. He's offered 20 recruits. He's getting outworked on recruiting and doesn't seem to care. He hasn't kept in touch with Felton about the scandal.
MBB is getting hammered, and everyone knows it.

Good example was the Peach Jam. K, Scheyer, and Capel were here for days with Nate joining them late. Roy by contrast played in the opening golf tournament and stayed for an early day, then just left coach Robinson. And this is one of the top HS summer showcases in the country. Hell, Johnny Dawkins and an assistant were here from the SF Bay area, as were Steve Fisher (San Diego), Bobby Hurley (AZ St), Mark Few (Spokane), and the coaches from Arizona, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, etc. The Peach Jam is only five hours from Chapel Hill, and Roy was disinterested.

I agree that the end is coming son for Roy, big extension notwithstanding.

Kedsy
07-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Kedsey, we expect a regression analysis pronto please.

Sorry, I don' t do football. Haven't spent any time studying it since the 80s.

subzero02
07-18-2015, 01:17 PM
The way things are shaping up in chapel hill, this year's squad is going to face tremendous pressure to generate some form of sustained positive vibe or even a final four. Everything else coming from and surrounding that school has been pure poison.

Also... the title of this thread should be edited to include the word "MAYBE".

Olympic Fan
07-18-2015, 02:16 PM

This is hilarious on so many levels. Thanks for posting it

I wish somebody would tell the idiot that as Roy "Our lawyers tell me that we won't receive any sanctions in basketball" Williams knows, lying to a recruit is not a NCAA offense.

SilkyJ
07-18-2015, 02:46 PM
This is hilarious on so many levels. Thanks for posting it

I wish somebody would tell the idiot that as Roy "Our lawyers tell me that we won't receive any sanctions in basketball" Williams knows, lying to a recruit is not a NCAA offense.

Maybe, but badmouthing UNC to anyone is a cardinal sin, so they can always appeal to a higher authority.

BD80
07-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Maybe, but badmouthing UNC to anyone is a cardinal sin, so they can always appeal to a higher authority.

I can't see unc appealing to anyone ...

SilkyJ
07-18-2015, 10:32 PM
I can't see unc appealing to anyone ...

You and me both, but apparently its still appealing to our own recruits...or ex-recruits now. Maybe they found the mouth guards appealing :rolleyes: