PDA

View Full Version : 2015 QB Battle Royale: Sirk, Boehme, Pierre, <other>

uh_no
12-30-2014, 06:25 PM
transfers aside...

For the first time since I've been following duke football, we have a real bonafide battle at the QB position. After Thad graduated, the heir apparent was Renfree, and he had gotten some minutes previously (brilliant game vs army if i recall). After renfree, Boone was the choice, having gotten snaps during the renfree tenure, mostly in the redzone (the much maligned at the time "boone" package). When boone was out with injury, there was some rumbing that connette may get the call, but it was clear that boone was the go to guy moving forward.

Now we're in an interesting situation.....except for sirk in a few select situations, it's been boone boone boone....and suddenly we have no boone, and three quarterbacks raring for a shot, most of whom haven't seen a snap of play...aside for short-yardage-sirk.

I think my first question, looking back, is why didn't we see more of anyone else? It became very clear that sirk was the short yardage runner, with the occasional pass to keep the D honest, but he was rarely if ever in in longer yardage situations, and the passes were mostly quick dumps. as a RS sophomore i would have expected him to at least understand the offense. ESPN gave his "strengths" as arm strength and athleticism....so it's possible that he simply didn't have the tools to function as a passer in the offense we had.

A more intriguing question, however, is why Parker Boehme saw no snaps (like 3 in reality or something). ESPN gave HIS strengths as accuracy and reads...which interestingly enough is what boone seemed to struggle with. as a RS freshman, I'd also expect him to be familiar with the offense. Had he gotten a few drives in in earlier games, might he have taken the pressure off boone later in the year, allowing us to have at least some passing when boone was off? who knows. Perhaps he wasn't practicing well enough to warrant time.

The last guy, is of course Nico Pierre, who is a 4 star RS freshman with "strength, athleticism, and delivery". As he was redshirting the year, it's obvious that we wouldn't see him play. He's the most highly touted of the three guys, and the youngest...but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the choice...especially when he hasn't seen a down of college play.

So first, i'm hoping I can get out to see the spring game at wherever they end up playing it....since seeing these guys in action will be a first for most of us.

But ultimately I can see this going one of several ways....again ignoring transfers clouding anything...

1) Pierre is that much better than everyone else, it becomes obvious he's the long term starter...and since there'll be growing pains anyway, might as well give him the reigns now. Boehme gets 10-15% of drives, in much the same way that boone would get drives while renfree was starting, hedging against injury or boehme proving to be more effective. Sirk gets the same short yardage role he had this year, perhaps with an expanded arsenal in the red zone, much how connette started making some cool plays.

2) Pierre isn't ready to lead the team now. Boehme becomes the starter, pierre gets drives here and there. The effective opposite of situation 1)

3) Both QBs are good and effective and bring different skill sets. They have an equitable split in drives early in the season, perhaps leaning one way or the other as the season goes on...tons of opportunities for multipe QB sets (like we'd run with boone and connette), with sirk in the backfield, pierre out wide....who knows...allows for a very flexible offense seeing as we could give 3 different looks with 3 different QBs

4) without much prior game action, neither QB is ready to lead. Sirk as the most tenured guy steps up to the plate and leads the team, with the other two getting drives here and there to allow them to get that experience they need to be the QB in the future

So as I said, without having seen any of them really do what they're capable of, it's impossible to say. But that doesn't mean we can't argue about it anyway.

So the comedy fifth option is we get a transfer, who likely will view Duke and Cut as their road to the NFL....and will want playing time. Then we'll have 4 viable QBs fighting for time. I'm guessing in this situation, the transfer would be the starter, and pierre and Boehme would get drives here and there so their development doesn't stall despite not playing major minutes. I wonder if Cut will have the ability to put off a decision on accepting a transfer until after the spring game has happened, allowing him to better understand the in house guys' readiness before bringing in a ringer. (not that he doesn't have an idea already...)

So there it is. Let the games begin!

OldPhiKap
12-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Most schools do not platoon QB's, so the starter gets all but garbage time. So I am not surprised that Boone got the major playing time, Cut obviously felt that riding his senior was the best option and left him in during rough times to learn to recover. I am more than okay with that. In many ways, Sirk got more snaps than a back-up normally would I think.

And we did not have a lot of garbage time, we struggled at Troy and with the Green Wave. Not sure we had a blowout conference game, and even the ones we won by a comfortable finishing margin were not broken open until late in the fourth quarter. So not a lot of opportunities to rest Boone and let someone else play.

Next year, I have no idea. But competition between talented players, and a coach who knows quarterbacks, can only be good. Cut said that an advantage of bowl prep practices was the ability to go "three deep" at various positions (which you cannot normally do in a one-week turn-around), not sure that extended to QB's or not but hope so.

Spring practice starts soon!

uh_no
12-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Most schools do not platoon QB's, so the starter gets all but garbage time. So I am not surprised that Boone got the major playing time, Cut obviously felt that riding his senior was the best option and left him in during rough times to learn to recover. I am more than okay with that. In many ways, Sirk got more snaps than a back-up normally would I think.

And we did not have a lot of garbage time, we struggled at Troy and with the Green Wave. Not sure we had a blowout conference game, and even the ones we won by a comfortable finishing margin were not broken open until late in the fourth quarter. So not a lot of opportunities to rest Boone and let someone else play.

Next year, I have no idea. But competition between talented players, and a coach who knows quarterbacks, can only be good. Cut said that an advantage of bowl prep practices was the ability to go "three deep" at various positions (which you cannot normally do in a one-week turn-around), not sure that extended to QB's or not but hope so.

Spring practice starts soon!

This goes against what we have seen Cut do in practice, though. In fact when we were all complaining about platooning, he was spouting about the importance of getting a good back-up a couple drives early in the game in case they were needed later...hence why renfree would get snaps from thad, and boone would get snaps from renfree, and connette would get snaps from boone. This past year has been the exception in the Cut era in that we've seen none of that.

Reilly
12-30-2014, 07:50 PM
http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-docs/2014_FB_MediaGuide/89-156_History.pdf?SPSID=22695&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200

With respect to Renfree's Army debut ... I was there, and his first TD was to his TE ... I recall him saying he was surprised that they told him to get in there ... post-game, at some beach-themed bar on the banks of the Hudson in between West Point and NYC (seriously), my friends and I got into a heated debate about health care reform and what was needed and what the root causes of the problems are (seriously) ... and we toasted the future of Duke's football success, giving voice to the idea that John Drew manning the middle on D and SR manning the QB position would lead us to the promised land in the future ... we were right, in a way ... even though we'd live though 3-9 seasons in 2011 and 2012 ... but we knew what Cut was building .... the health care debate rages on ... thankfully, the Duke FB issue has been resolved to our satisfaction ...

Bob Green
12-30-2014, 07:54 PM
So first, i'm hoping I can get out to see the spring game at wherever they end up playing it....since seeing these guys in action will be a first for most of us.

This is the money quote in your post. We aren't going to know anything, aside from whether or not we snag an experienced transfer, until spring practice starts and culminates with the Spring Game.

Sirk's lack of pass attempts during this past season does make one wonder. Perhaps the torn Achilles tendon affected his ability to plant and throw the ball down the field. I don't know, just speculating. He played in the 2014 Spring Game and was inaccurate throwing the ball; however, he completed 10 of 14 passes this season - too small of sample size to draw conclusions.

Parker Boehme was impressive in the 2013 Spring Game when he was pressed into action due to Sirk's injury and Connette sitting out spring practice leaving Boone and Boehme as the only two healthy QBs. You need two QBs to have a game. Basically, he hasn't played since except in garbage time against Elon.

Duvall
12-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Don't forget the X-factor - Will Monday.

Reilly
12-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Don't forget the X-factor - Will Monday.

To me, he's always been an after-thought behind the left-handed Jamison Crowder (not to be confused with the right-handed Crowder who catches passes; seriously, who in the hell in the history of football has thrown a *called* TD pass with his off-hand ... not talking about QBs who in desperation shuffle something with their off-hand) .... but now that Crowder is gone, maybe it's time to turn the O over to Will ...

OldPhiKap
12-30-2014, 08:09 PM
To me, he's always been an after-thought behind the left-handed Jamison Crowder (not to be confused with the right-handed Crowder who catches passes; seriously, who in the hell in the history of football has thrown a *called* TD pass with his off-hand ... not talking about QBs who in desperation shuffle something with their off-hand) .... but now that Crowder is gone, maybe it's time to turn the O over to Will ...

I did not realize that Crowder was amphibious until the post-game presser.

Reilly
12-30-2014, 08:15 PM
We need a long magazine piece on that play ... when did Cut or Scottie first realize JC could do that with his left hand? ... when did they install the play? ... when, pre-game, did they discuss that they would have the guts to call that on 4th down in a tense moment, and let the game -- at that moment -- rest in his off-hand? .... I mean, seriously ....