PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Wofford (12/31 3 pm ET ESPN3) Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Bob Green
12-30-2014, 07:06 AM
The 9-3 Terriers visit Cameron Indoor Stadium on Wednesday afternoon. Discuss the game here.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-30-2014, 08:41 AM
A Wednesday afternoon game? That's a treat!

I look forward to seeing how Duke comes out of the gate tomorrow. I hope that against an overmatched team and with no "rustiness" they hit hard, early and often. This could be the game Jah breaks 30. With one player at 6'8 and two guys 6'7, I hope to see nearly every play go through Jahlil.

Last tune up game before the conference starts this weekend. Let's end the suspense early, give the crowd a show, and get some PT for Allen, Jones, et al.

Go Duke!

CDu
12-30-2014, 09:52 AM
This game should be somewhat like last night's game. Like Toledo, Wofford has played a couple of decent teams well (15 point loss at Stanford, 1 point loss at NC State). Also like Toledo, Wofford has some pretty questionable results (loss to William and Mary, close wins over Sam Houston State, Charleston Southern, and South Dakota). Like Toledo, Wofford is undersized but experienced, and they shoot the 3 well.

Basically, we're facing another decent mid-major team. If we play with complacency on defense for long stretches like we did last night, Wofford could keep the game close (like Toledo did for a while). If we play focused and with good effort on defense (like we did in the last 15 minutes last night), we should win handily.

I would expect us to be able to win simply on the strength of Okafor's post game. This sentence will be true for MANY of our games this year. Hopefully our other guys will continue to find their roles around Okafor's brilliance. And most importantly, hopefully we see more consistent effort on defense tomorrow night (and beyond).

Dukehky
12-30-2014, 10:03 AM
I too would like to see this team develop consistency in their defensive intensity and effort, if for nothing else than to develop good habits. I totally understand how these kids don't get up for Wofford and want to absolutely shut them down on defense like they would for say UCONN and Wiscy. However, it's something that I would be concerned with if we continue to be lethargic for large stretches of games against mid-majors. That's how you get beat in the first round of the tournament.

We have a killer instinct on offense and thy name is Jahlil, I just wish we could exude that kind of dominant pressure/effort on the defensive end for 38+ minutes a game (gotta be realistic, 40's tough).

Henderson
12-30-2014, 10:24 AM
This game should be somewhat like last night's game. Like Toledo, Wofford has played a couple of decent teams well (15 point loss at Stanford, 1 point loss at NC State). Also like Toledo, Wofford has some pretty questionable results (loss to William and Mary, close wins over Sam Houston State, Charleston Southern, and South Dakota). Like Toledo, Wofford is undersized but experienced, and they shoot the 3 well.

Basically, we're facing another decent mid-major team. If we play with complacency on defense for long stretches like we did last night, Wofford could keep the game close (like Toledo did for a while). If we play focused and with good effort on defense (like we did in the last 15 minutes last night), we should win handily.

I would expect us to be able to win simply on the strength of Okafor's post game. This sentence will be true for MANY of our games this year. Hopefully our other guys will continue to find their roles around Okafor's brilliance. And most importantly, hopefully we see more consistent effort on defense tomorrow night (and beyond).

Mostly agree, but Wofford won by a point at NC State.

K suggsted in his presser last night that we may see MP3 and Okafor play together some. Not sure if this will be that opportunity, but I'm interested to see it. Or maybe K was merely extending the list of scouting worries for opponents ahead of conference play.

CDu
12-30-2014, 10:25 AM

You're of course correct. My bad. Losses were to Stanford, William & Mary, and a blowout loss to West Virginia.

Dukehky
12-30-2014, 10:47 AM

K suggsted in his presser last night that we may see MP3 and Okafor play together some. Not sure if this will be that opportunity, but I'm interested to see it. Or maybe K was merely extending the list of scouting worries for opponents ahead of conference play.

I think maybe, more than anything, it is to get people to shut up about UK's size. Marshall, Jah, and Justise is a pretty formidable front court, at least physically.

duketaylor
12-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Looking forward to attending the game tomorrow. Have an xtra ticket at near center court. Please PM if interested. Go DEVILS!!

striker219
12-31-2014, 11:11 AM
You're of course correct. My bad. Losses were to Stanford, William & Mary, and a blowout loss to West Virginia.

Perfectly acceptable mistake as it wasn't really a win or a loss for Wofford, that W was for Karl Hess. And I guess some teams also played basketball or something.

Duvall
12-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Perfectly acceptable mistake as it wasn't really a win or a loss for Wofford, that W was for Karl Hess. And I guess some teams also played basketball or something.

That's unnecessary. Wofford played well in that game, with a great game-winning play.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Wofford is a good team with a good coach. Like several of our other games, the kind of team you could see in the first round of the NCAA.

And after Mercer last year, I assume we all know that the first game counts too.

Go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
12-31-2014, 11:27 AM
GoDuke.com lists the game on RSN as well, so some folks will get to watch on TV.

Henderson
12-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Looking forward to attending the game tomorrow. Have an xtra ticket at near center court. Please PM if interested. Go DEVILS!!

Folks here are generous with their ticket sharing. Kudos to folks like you!

OldPhiKap
12-31-2014, 11:37 AM

And if you're really nice, duketaylor can turn you on to some really good brews too!

Henderson
12-31-2014, 11:39 AM
And if you're really nice, duketaylor can turn you on to some really good brews too!

If you've read my posts, you KNOW I don't qualify for that much generosity. :p

devildeac
12-31-2014, 12:12 PM

Those tix ain't cheap but I most certainly appreciate duketaylor calling me Monday and offering two at face value, in addition to a chauffered ride from the Millenium to his prime parking spot adjacent to CIS. And bringing beers to trade from Richmond. He is a true gentleman;).

CDu
12-31-2014, 12:13 PM

Dang, I would love to take you up on that offer, but cannot. Enjoy the game!

gurufrisbee
12-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Bummed about the lack of TV coverage. Being a Duke fan 3000 miles away does not have many perks.

Duke95
12-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Bummed about the lack of TV coverage. Being a Duke fan 3000 miles away does not have many perks.

Isn't it being streamed live online by ESPN?

Duvall
12-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Isn't it being streamed live online by ESPN?

The game will be available through WatchESPN, subject to blackout.

captmojo
12-31-2014, 02:03 PM
FoxSportsSouth My Dish channel 412-10

Duke95
12-31-2014, 02:55 PM
The game will be available through WatchESPN, subject to blackout.

Thanks. That's good news for us out west.

Duke3517
12-31-2014, 03:01 PM
This is another game where Duke just needs to show up and they will win. (I seriously think they read that before the game against toledo)

riverside6
12-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Wofford...

http://www.scacchoops.com/wofford-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-12312014

fgb
12-31-2014, 03:11 PM
does anyone know why this game is blacked out on espn3? it's not on local tv.

Ggallagher
12-31-2014, 03:14 PM
Must be regional. It's on ESPN3 in Ohio.

grossbus
12-31-2014, 03:16 PM
Matt jones must be very good in practice, cuz he sure doesn't show much in games, especially on offense.

Duvall
12-31-2014, 03:20 PM
This is another game where Duke just needs to show up and they will win. (I seriously think they read that before the game against toledo)

You are, like, the worst.

slower
12-31-2014, 03:30 PM
You are, like, the worst.

Agreed. Is it possible to stick a spork IN somebody? :p

striker219
12-31-2014, 03:36 PM
That's unnecessary. Wofford played well in that game, with a great game-winning play.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from Wofford at all. I was just commenting that, as usual, Karl Hess made sure that everyone knew he was in the building.

slower
12-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Ah, Marshall. Come ON, man.

uh_no
12-31-2014, 03:46 PM
second consecutive poor defensive performance in the making....

expected to give up 87 based on averages....giving up 96....which makes 3 out of the last 4 games

EDIT: 108.3 at halftime....K can't be happy with that.

fuse
12-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Did I see Bucky Waters napping on press row during Amile's free throw?!?! :eek:

uh_no
12-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Did I see Bucky Waters napping on press row during Amile's free throw?!?! :eek:

he's getting bored by the lack of defense.

sagegrouse
12-31-2014, 04:11 PM
Justise Winslow: the Law, East of the Eno! Breakout game for Justise.

Duke95
12-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Rasheed gets out of control way too much.

slower
12-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Wow. Jones/Cook/Jones/Jefferson/Plumlee is an UGLY offensive team.

Update: Okafor is just...nuts. The complete offensive package.

uh_no
12-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Wow. Jones/Cook/Jones/Jefferson/Plumlee is an UGLY offensive team.

Update: Okafor is just...nuts. The complete offensive package.

oh man...imagine if kenpom did adjusted efficiencies on a PER LINEUP basis. the world might implode.