PDA

View Full Version : This is disturbing

throatybeard
09-16-2007, 12:39 AM
If this TDD thread (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167#s=167&f=1093&t=1030973) is correct, a woman got hit in the head with the goalposts on campus tonight.

LetItBD08
09-16-2007, 12:51 AM
I was there. It happened in front of the Chapel. According to friends who saw it, it hit it in her head. She was the only one hurt. Duke paramedics were already there and responded immediately. The girl was in stable condition and talking with full mobility. They put her neck in a brace and took her to the hospital and going to monitor her. Taking a lot of precautions. Want to make sure her neck is okay as well. The crowd was really well organized and once the post fell off its hitch everyone cleared the scene immediately. Everyone was really respectful, and a lot of people stayed and were very concerned for her.

DukeCO2009
09-16-2007, 01:04 AM
I was in the crowd from the Wally Wade all the way to the Chapel--here's the deal:

We were all in a huge group at the top of the bowl at the closed end of the horseshoe. At first there was a rumor going around that the cops were going to arrest people who went onto the field, but it was just that--a rumor. On the count of 10, everyone rushed the field and tore down the nearest goalpost. We took it in between Cameron and Card, down Towerview, through the Wannamaker fire lane, behind Craven and Few, and then to the Chapel.

It was great--definitely one of the coolest experiences I've had in my 2+ years here. Everyone was under complete control, and things were going remarkably well. We put the posts down in front of the Chapel, and they stayed there for a couple minutes until some idiots got the bright idea to start a "STAND IT UP! STAND IT UP!" chant. Now I'm no engineer, but I do know that goalposts don't stand up on their own--they're bolted down.

Once they were "up" (meaning they were being supported by a few students), the posts themselves started swaying wildly. I ran with a friend over toward the Divinity School side of the Chapel area. It looked like the post on our side would be the one to come down, but within a few seconds the Flowers-side post fell. People quickly and orderly cleared the immediate area, and a big circle formed. We all knelt/sat, and I was sitting near the guy who was right beside her when she got hit. He said the post glanced off her right shoulder, and that it was the impact between her head and the concrete, not the post, that did the damage.

The student was alert and talking--even trying to convince the EMT's that she didn't need to go the the hospital. I'm guessing she was mildly concussed, but please don't quote me on that. It could have been a LOT worse. Shame on the people who ruined a great night by trying to stand the posts up.
Shame on them for doing something so moronically stupid that it could have only ended poorly. We, the students, were the only people who could have stopped this from happening. The administration trusted us enough not to hound us with a few dozen police officers, and we completely, totally, and unequivocally BLEW IT. The actions of the few will likely dictate the fates of the many--look for security to be intense next time this happens, and don't look for them to let us do this again in the near future. The thread-starter was right--this was indeed disgusting.

heyman25
09-16-2007, 04:45 AM
What a dumb way to end a great victory.I hope she has no lasting damage from the injury.

JasonEvans
09-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Tearing down the goalposts = cool

Trying to stand them up again in the middle of campus = stupid

Did we really try to do that? How on Earth did anyone expect this to end other than with the goalposts falling on someone?

--Jason "we never tore down goalposts when I was a Duke... I think it would have been great fun!" Evans

YmoBeThere
09-16-2007, 08:03 AM

Did we really try to do that? How on Earth did anyone expect this to end other than with the goalposts falling on someone?

--Jason "we never tore down goalposts when I was a Duke... I think it would have been great fun!" Evans

Not to make light of the woman's injuries...but the above has more to do with chasing photonics in my opinion instead of focusing on the more practical ME and CE lines of business. Not that I would have advised anything different if I were running the Engineering school. Ball bearings just aren't an exciting business in this day and age. That and the overall indiscretions of youth.

ACCBBallFan
09-16-2007, 08:13 AM
You can't expect the Duke students to be as adept at football goalposts as they are with basketball nets. Prior to yesterday, their career won-loss records:

Frosh 0-2
Sophs 0-14
Juniors 1-24
Seniors 3-33

The only saving grace is only one winless season in that stretch, and not this year eiither. Perhaps the fifth year students' record of 4-8 is in reach, or they at least surpass the seniors' freshman year record of 2-9.

YmoBeThere
09-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Excellent point, but going with the theme of "Act like you have been there before", a win over NW? Okay, back in my day we tore down the goalposts with a victory over Clemson, when Clemson was good.

Mike Corey
09-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Duke students tore down the goalposts the last time the Blue Devils ended a prolonged losing streak, as well, when mighty East Carolina fell in a mud bowl in Wallace Wade. And more recently, the goalposts came down when Duke beat UNC, ending the streak of losses to the Tar Heels that extended to Steve Spurrier's reign.

Glad to see the students excited; hate to see a student get hurt.

I hope a lot of fans were out there to greet the team when they returned from Evanston at 3 a.m. this morning.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I was in the crowd from the Wally Wade all the way to the Chapel--here's the deal:

We were all in a huge group at the top of the bowl at the closed end of the horseshoe. On the count of 10, everyone rushed the field and tore down the nearest goalpost. We took it in between Cameron and Card, down Towerview, through the Wannamaker fire lane, behind Craven and Few, and then to the Chapel.

It was great--definitely one of the coolest experiences I've had in my 2+ years here.

As I said in the "originally it was my" Happy Days Are Here Again thread, I am so proud of the Duke students for tearing down the goal posts! I wish I had known you were going to do it - I would have driven up to Durham to help.

The path to the Chapel is the same one we took a few years ago when we last did this on November 8, 2003! James posted those pictures on DBR.

I hope the young lady injured is OK.

snowdenscold
09-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Duke students tore down the goalposts the last time the Blue Devils ended a prolonged losing streak, as well, when mighty East Carolina fell in a mud bowl in Wallace Wade.

That was a fun game five years ago - after having a long section of it stretch across our commons room during a party that evening, we chopped it up into 6" segments and gave them everyone in the dorm.

NovaScotian
09-16-2007, 11:07 AM
ive got six feet of the clemson post from 2004, and that one isnt cursed...

LetItBD08
09-16-2007, 11:25 AM
You can't expect the Duke students to be as adept at football goalposts as they are with basketball nets.

Actually that was one of the most efficient goal post tear downs and transports you will ever see. We got it down in about a minute or two (compared to what seemed like 20 minutes against Clemson) and got it rather quickly to the Chapel. Really organized job of avoiding all obstacles and picking a doable route on the fly.

It was really amazing how so many in the student body decided they wanted to share the experience in Wallace Wade. I didn't really expect to see anyone else there (my friends and I suddenly got the urge to try to kick some field goals after the game - NOT due to anyone's actions during the game - we just had a lot of adrenaline).

I texted one of the key players in the game when we got the goalposts to the Chapel and he was beyond appreciative for what we were doing.

And yes that was an awesome experience until a select few decided it was cool to lift up the goal posts in front of the Chapel without any real plan of what to do then. Leaning it up against the Chapel seemed like the only real option, but that seemed rather tedious and would have obviously upset some people.

Lavabe
09-16-2007, 11:27 AM
ive got six feet of the clemson post from 2004, and that one isnt cursed...

Gee, I hope Klemnop isn't reading this! ;)

IIRC, in 1983, no one chopped up the goal posts after the win against Chapaheeya. I wonder what happened to the posts after they were brought to the Chapel.

Cheers,
Lavabe

LetItBD08
09-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I wonder what happened to the posts after they were brought to the Chapel.

Apparently students and maintenance personnel brought pieces back to a facility near Wallace Wade.

Chronicle Article below:

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/09/14/News/Student.Injured.In.Revelry.After.Football.Victory-2970456.shtml

OZZIE4DUKE
09-16-2007, 02:46 PM
That was a fun game five years ago - after having a long section of it stretch across our commons room during a party that evening, we chopped it up into 6" segments and gave them everyone in the dorm.

And if you recall, someone was going to send me a piece of that goalpost. At least that is what someone on the quad said.

Bluedawg
09-16-2007, 05:59 PM

i'm sorry but tearing down the goalposts does not = cool. That in itself can cause a lot of injuries

Wander
09-16-2007, 06:06 PM
i'm sorry but tearing down the goalposts does not = cool. That in itself can cause a lot of injuries

So can drinking, playing basketball, and crossing the street. Like most everything else, there are responsible ways to tear down goalposts and there are stupid ways to tear down goalposts, and if you don't do the stupid things (one of which unfortunately did happen this time), tearing down goalposts after a victory like this is awesome.

DU82
09-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Actually that was one of the most efficient goal post tear downs and transports you will ever see. We got it down in about a minute or two (compared to what seemed like 20 minutes against Clemson) and got it rather quickly to the Chapel. Really organized job of avoiding all obstacles and picking a doable route on the fly.

It was really amazing how so many in the student body decided they wanted to share the experience in Wallace Wade. I didn't really expect to see anyone else there (my friends and I suddenly got the urge to try to kick some field goals after the game - NOT due to anyone's actions during the game - we just had a lot of adrenaline).

I texted one of the key players in the game when we got the goalposts to the Chapel and he was beyond appreciative for what we were doing.

And yes that was an awesome experience until a select few decided it was cool to lift up the goal posts in front of the Chapel without any real plan of what to do then. Leaning it up against the Chapel seemed like the only real option, but that seemed rather tedious and would have obviously upset some people.

Now it'd be nice if all the students who were in Wallace Wade last night will show and and stay for the VT game!

LetItBD08
09-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Tell me about it DU82. I really hope that this will go a long way to getting more of us to stay for the games. We keep on hearing the rhetoric about how the team has to learn to win, well whatever that means hopefully it'll carry over to us students.

dukie8 - I'm going to have to completely agree with DukeCO2009. That feeling that I had when that pass was incomplete rivaled the Dockery shot, that 71-70 nailbiter against UNC in Cameron my freshman year, and Dave's last second shot. Plus the fact that so many other Duke students felt the same way when I thought so little people cared was something really special. I understand that we could hide behind our semi-anonymous names on these boards, but show some respect for a fellow happy Blue Devil.

Wander
09-16-2007, 08:12 PM
dukie8 - I'm going to have to completely agree with DukeCO2009. That feeling that I had when that pass was incomplete rivaled the Dockery shot, that 71-70 nailbiter against UNC in Cameron my freshman year, and Dave's last second shot. Plus the fact that so many other Duke students felt the same way when I thought so little people cared was something really special. I understand that we could hide behind our semi-anonymous names on these boards, but show some respect for a fellow happy Blue Devil.

I'd add to that the UNC game that sealed the undefeated women's season our junior year, the complete destruction of #2 Texas our sophomore year, and the Clemson football game our freshman year. Off the top of my head, those are probably the 7 best Duke sports moments during our time here.

dukie8
09-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Tell me about it DU82. I really hope that this will go a long way to getting more of us to stay for the games. We keep on hearing the rhetoric about how the team has to learn to win, well whatever that means hopefully it'll carry over to us students.

i thought he was referring to pulling down the goalposts as one of his coolest experiences -- not watching the game -- because that's how his post was written. pulling down goalposts isn't what i consider a fun activity and, as evidenced by last night, can be very dangerous. i never have understood this "tradition."

NovaScotian
09-16-2007, 09:00 PM
i thought he was referring to pulling down the goalposts as one of his coolest experiences -- not watching the game -- because that's how his post was written. pulling down goalposts isn't what i consider a fun activity and, as evidenced by last night, can be very dangerous. i never have understood this "tradition."

i'm guessing youre no longer a teenager

Olympic Fan
09-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Not to make light of the young lady that was injured, but did anybody else notice her name?

Wasn't Priya Patel one of Harry Potter's classmates at Hogworts? I think Harry dated her twin sister at the Christmas Ball in the GOF book.

The good news is that if she's a witch, any injuries should be easily cured, unless of course the goal post that hit her was cursed -- which would indeed explain a lot about Duke's current struggles on the football field!

snowdenscold
09-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Not to make light of the young lady that was injured, but did anybody else notice her name?

Wasn't Priya Patel one of Harry Potter's classmates at Hogworts? I think Harry dated her twin sister at the Christmas Ball in the GOF book.

The good news is that if she's a witch, any injuries should be easily cured, unless of course the goal post that hit her was cursed -- which would indeed explain a lot about Duke's current struggles on the football field!

They were Parvati (Gryffindor) and Padma (Ravenclaw) I believe. And it's Patil, not Patel like in this case.

bjornolf
09-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Do they have the goalposts that were engineered by (I think) the VA Tech engineering department? I know a lot of schools are using them now. Basically, instead of being one piece, they are two pieces, with a bolt and large wrench-shaped pieces that are used to slowly lower the posts. That way, the students can march them around to their hearts' content without damaging the posts too much, and with less risk of injury, and the posts can just be reconnected afterwards. The schools that have them have managers assigned to lower the posts as soon as the final whistle blows, so the posts are ready to go if field-storming and post stealing occurs.

I think the all-time keeping of a piece of post has to be a couple of my buds from the classes of '98 and '99. They went back, unscrewed one of the uprights, and loaded it diagonal floor to ceiling in their dorm room by taking it through a second story window across the hall. I'll never forget going to visit them (I was class of '97) only to find this giant, yellow rod bisecting their room. It was great. The problem came when they had to get rid of it at the end of the year! :cool:

Bluedawg
09-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Bluedawg

So can drinking, playing basketball, and crossing the street. Like most everything else, there are responsible ways to tear down goalposts and there are stupid ways to tear down goalposts, and if you don't do the stupid things (one of which unfortunately did happen this time), tearing down goalposts after a victory like this is awesome.

I've just never seen them go down without someone getting hurt...like this one.

Weks
09-17-2007, 11:10 PM
The goalposts came down in 1997 too, after we beat Army at home to end another ~20+ game losing streak...heady times...

gvtucker
09-18-2007, 09:53 AM
The goalposts came down in '83 in the game against NC State. That was the first night game in Duke history, a Thursday night; temporary lights were trucked in. Duke scored on a touchdown pass from Bennett to Militello on what I think was the last play of the game.

Unlike the other goalpost tear downs in this thread, we didn't break a long losing streak in that game, it was just an exciting win. So we tore down the goalposts.

And to the best of my recollection, nobody was hurt. My recollection is pretty fuzzy, though, only partially because it has been a long time since that game happened. My recollection was pretty fuzzy the day after the game.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-20-2007, 12:15 AM
The goalposts came down in '83 in the game against NC State. it was just an exciting win. So we tore down the goalposts.

And to the best of my recollection, nobody was hurt. My recollection is pretty fuzzy, though, only partially because it has been a long time since that game happened. My recollection was pretty fuzzy the day after the game.

You were fuzzy? You must have gotten hit in the head by the goal post. Or hung over... ;)