PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Question of the Week - Your favorite non-Duke ACC team

JasonEvans
12-29-2014, 09:44 AM
As always, we are looking for good stories about why you gave your answer. Who is your favorite non-Duke ACC team and why?

Plus, as an added bonus, we are adding a poll so you can vote on your choice.

-Jason "and feel free to listen to the podcast (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-episode-4-122814) too!" Evans

devildeac
12-29-2014, 09:52 AM
My favorite non-Duke ACC team is whoever is playing c*rolina but that was not (technically) an option in the poll:o.

Seriously, it'd have to be WFU or I'd have to change my screen name:o.

gumbomoop
12-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Although this wouldn't be my answer a few years back, right now it's Virginia, easily. Mostly because I think Bennett is a superb coach. He seems to get his players to execute the principles of his system more consistently than any other coach in the conference. That is, they play good.

Indoor66
12-29-2014, 10:03 AM
I selected Virginia. The answer to this question changes with time. There was a time that VA was a disliked member of the ACC. Over time I have come to like them - as I greatly admire Tony Bennett and the job he has done there.

devil84
12-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I've got two favorites: WFU and NCSU. I'm not sure which to vote for in the poll, so I'll give that some thought.

When I went to high school back in the late 70's, social rules dictated that you could only root for one of the Big Four schools. It just wasn't proper to even like/admire/sorta-kinda-think-highly-of more than one of the Big Four. The rule was that you like one and hate the other three. So, of course, I loved Duke and hated WFU, NCSU, and UNC. Those games were always the most fun with the most passion from the fans.

Of course, times change. Some of us grow up and mature to find that we really can enjoy rooting for another school for a variety of reasons. We find that we work and live in other areas of the country and see how the other rivalries work. After Duke, I moved to Dayton, OH, where there are a limited number of college basketball fans. University of Dayton and Wright State are there, with Xavier, Cincinnati, and Ohio State nearby. I worked in the Wright State sports information office for a year when they were at the top of the heap in Div II basketball. It was quite enjoyable to cheer for them, and I found I could cheer for another team other than Duke. (An aside: I typed the play-by-play during the games. The very first game I did, the officials came to check in. The first official to introduce himself? Lenny Wirtz.)

Next stop: Knoxville. The entire town is freaking ORANGE. Those fans are CRAZY! I came to appreciate Pat Summit's work, but never really warmed up to watching any UT sports (the Peyton Manning worship was insane -- he even was on the kids' Lesson Line that had to be called weekly for homework information). I kept up enough to join in the office conversation, and since I was employed by UT, there was usually conversation about sports. I found myself really wishing I lived in the Triangle again, where there were rivals to verbally spar with, rather than the whole "we are awesome" thing with no opposition to provide a reality check.

About 15 years ago, I moved back to the Triangle. Ah, the rivalries! I wound up working and living with a number of State grads. Turns out, they aren't as bad as I envisioned. I wound up volunteering with many youth groups, where sometimes rivalries would spawn some inappropriate behavior, so I had to soften my hard line Duke fandom and actually had to set a good example for the youth. Then my children went to NC State, with the younger one transferring to WFU. Seeing those universities first-hand and interacting with the alumni in day-to-day life, I couldn't "hate" them anymore. I find myself rooting for them. WFU is similar to Duke in its student-athlete perspective, and you have to admire that. You have to admire rabid Wolfpack fans, too, as they are numerous and their teams have been rarely better than mediocre yet they still cheer and support their team. And PackPride takes my admiration of Wolfpack fans to a new level.

Yes, maturity and knowledge can do a lot for cheering for other schools. BUT -- there are some things that do not change. My son, the WFU grad, is now in grad school at Carolina (it's OK -- they are paying him to study and teach there!). That has not changed my opinion of that school at all. Nor my son's, for that matter. He's in a small department, and none of the faculty, staff, or students are Carolina fans, so it makes it quite bearable. The undergrads are still as entitled and obnoxious as they were in my day (my son has so many stories!), the alumni as smug and annoying as ever. Carolina can still GTH.

jv001
12-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Duke has always been number one and NC State has always been number two. I came to like NC State because my uncles(all Duke fans) liked State almost as much as they liked Duke. But with me, it was always Duke by a pretty good margin. When David Thompson chose the WolfPack, that affection became even deeper for the Pack. I also loved the Jimmy V years and how he coached in games. He was a master at making moves during games that paid off in wins. But like I say, Duke is far out in front of everyone else. GoDuke!

Bob Green
12-29-2014, 11:04 AM
It is Virginia for me. Right now, I really like Bennett as a coach and believe the Cavaliers will be a force to be reckoned with in the ACC as long as he remains in Charlottesville. Historically, the first football game my Dad took me to at Duke Stadium was against Virginia. We smacked the Cavaliers around that day so I am always grateful to Virginia for helping ensure my first experience at a live college football game was a happy experience.

NSDukeFan
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Although this wouldn't be my answer a few years back, right now it's Virginia, easily. Mostly because I think Bennett is a superb coach. He seems to get his players to execute the principles of his system more consistently than any other coach in the conference. That is, they play good.

I selected Virginia. The answer to this question changes with time. There was a time that VA was a disliked member of the ACC. Over time I have come to like them - as I greatly admire Tony Bennett and the job he has done there.

I agree that my answer changes over time. I have really liked a bunch of Syracuse teams (they were my favorite team before Duke), and may have picked them last year. I also greatly respect the job Tony Bennett is doing and will certainly be rooting for them in the NCAAs. Georgia Tech would have been up there when Dennis Scott or James Forrest was there, NC State when Rodney Monroe was there, and Wake Forest when Tim Duncan, Randolph Childress (one of my favorite all time sports highlights) or Rodney Rogers were there, Virginia with Bryant Stith, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo

Tripping William
12-29-2014, 11:50 AM
In part because I bought into the old Dave Odom cliche about Wake being everyone's second favorite team, and in part because, well, I live where I live.

devildeac
12-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Wait, why is the team between Miami and NC State even included in the poll?:rolleyes:

gurufrisbee
12-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Wake. They've had the players over the years I find easiest to want to root for when they are not playing Duke - Duncan, Paul, Childress, Teague, Rogers, Howard, Mugsy.

Edouble
12-29-2014, 01:36 PM
I voted for Tech. Growing up in Atlanta, they were most of my friend's favorite team. Bobby Cremins was about the least unlikable opposing coach ever, so it was easy to be on board with Tech as my second favorite hoops squad. I've stuck with them since.

CDu
12-29-2014, 01:40 PM
I grew up in Northwest Florida, so the answer is easy for me. FSU all the way. There are pictures of me tossing an FSU football when I was still in diapers. They remain my #2 team to cheer for in college sports.

pfrduke
12-29-2014, 01:44 PM
UVA is institution of higher education #2 for me and so they take an easy #2 spot in my ACC rooting list (but it's a big gap - undergrad gets allegiance over grad school)

jv001
12-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Wait, why is the team between Miami and NC State even included in the poll?:rolleyes:

Greater question, why did Jason vote for them? GoDuke!

AncientPsychicT
12-29-2014, 02:04 PM
My pick is both a no-brainer for me and somewhat unusual for this board, as I might very well be the only one who picks Boston College. Growing up less than a mile from BC, I pulled for them in college football back in the dark days of Duke's program, and I would often run into BC students on the street. Nowadays, I have many friends that go there, and I still pull for their hockey teams (the men's team won titles in 2008, 2010, and 2012). I know many people around here often forget that BC even exists, let alone exists in the ACC, but I still hold a soft spot in my heart for what amounts to my hometown team.

devildeac
12-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Greater question, why did Jason vote for them? GoDuke!

Threats of bodily harm from his many family members w/unc connections. :o

Oriole Way
12-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Notre Dame. There are some similarities between Duke and ND as institutions and athletic programs, and of course it's easy to root for Mike Brey, a Coach K disciple.

Both schools are religiously-founded private universities. I think it's an accomplishment that both universities field strong athletic teams despite smaller student bodies compared to the larger public universities. Duke basketball and Notre Dame football are equivalent in some ways as traditional powerhouses (Duke much more so recently of course) in their respective sports, as both programs are most prominent among their respective school's athletic departments. When most people think of Duke, they think Duke basketball. When most people think of Notre Dame, they think Notre Dame football.

Both Duke and Notre Dame field 26 sports teams. Both schools also have higher academic standards for their sports teams than the average school. Both of Duke's and Notre Dame's men's lacrosse programs are elite, with the two teams matching up for the 2014 and 2010 National Championships (Duke winning both, of course).

I feel that Duke and Notre Dame have a lot in common. One of my best friends went to Notre Dame, so we've always found common ground when it comes to Duke and ND. He knows first-hand what it's like to get a lot of hate for being a Notre Dame football fan, just like Duke fans put up with a lot of hatred for the Duke basketball team. I attended a Notre Dame/Boston College game with him and a bunch of high school fiends in South Bend a while back, and that was an experience that compares to taking in a conference game at Cameron Indoor.

Obviously, Notre Dame is a recent addition to the conference. In terms of the old school ACC, I'd say Virginia was probably my favorite non-Duke ACC team. Again, because of some similarities between the two schools. But right now, Notre Dame is my favorite non-Duke ACC team.

Wander
12-29-2014, 03:34 PM
I think I had a poll on this a few years ago, so it would be cool to dig that up and see how the answers changed since then (and of course this was before Pitt, Syr, ND, and Lville). If I remember correctly, NC State was the winner by a good margin, with Clemson as #2.

mgtr
12-29-2014, 04:11 PM
I think I had a poll on this a few years ago, so it would be cool to dig that up and see how the answers changed since then (and of course this was before Pitt, Syr, ND, and Lville). If I remember correctly, NC State was the winner by a good margin, with Clemson as #2.

Clemson? Really? Why not Va Tech? I voted for NC State, but I guess my expanded answer would be the NC ACC schools, even though that includes the nearby school.

Wander
12-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Clemson? Really? Why not Va Tech? I voted for NC State, but I guess my expanded answer would be the NC ACC schools, even though that includes the nearby school.

I may have influenced the vote by telling people Clemson was loveable in the initial post. Also I think it might have been in or around 2008, so people might have felt bad for them for losing not 1, not 2, but 3 heartbreakingly close games against UNC in one season.

jv001
12-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Threats of bodily harm from his many family members w/unc connections. :o

I knew there was a good reason for voting for unc. One's health is a good reason in my book. GoDuke!

luburch
12-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Virginia, but as others have said it does change over time. Outside of K, Bennet is my favorite current college basketball coach. That may change if Brad Stevens decides he wants to return to the college game.

Another interesteing poll would be who the least favorite ACC team is. Excluding, UNC, of course. That is, if you can even really count UNC as a school anymore.

Edouble
12-30-2014, 04:05 AM
Virginia, but as others have said it does change over time. Outside of K, Bennet is my favorite current college basketball coach. That may change if Brad Stevens decides he wants to return to the college game.

Another interesteing poll would be who the least favorite ACC team is. Excluding, UNC, of course. That is, if you can even really count UNC as a school anymore.

Small sample size, but based on last year's game, Pitt.

Duvall
12-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Sports fans are, generally speaking, awful and spiteful people, and provide a good reason to dislike any school and every school. Of the current ACC lineup, Wake Forest fans offer a fairly loathsome mix of pettiness and spite. Florida State hasn't exactly distinguished themselves either in recent years.

Wander
12-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Of the current ACC lineup, Wake Forest fans offer a fairly loathsome mix of pettiness and spite.

I agree, both of them are really annoying.

revmel53
12-30-2014, 10:22 AM
I agree, both of them are really annoying.

Because of Mike Brey, it has to be Notre Dame for me. Actually, I think he does a great job with the second tier recruits he gets. Third would have to be Virginia. Bennett is a great coach, someone who fits UVA (which also doesn't often secure first tier recruits.)

Tom B.
12-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Notre Dame. My dad went there and I was raised in my early years on Notre Dame sports, so this is a no-brainer.

Among "traditional" ACC schools, it's a tougher call. Probably a tie between Virginia and Georgia Tech. (Yes, I realize that Georgia Tech wasn't a founding member of the conference, but they've been part of the ACC as long as I can remember.)

Virginia is my second alma mater and would probably be the clear #2, but I was there during Duke's low period in the mid-90s, and I discovered that there was a lot of pent-up irrational Duke hate among the Virginia fanbase, which many of them were all too happy to unload on Duke (and Duke grads) when we were down. So that experience colored my impression, unfortunately, of an otherwise fine university.

Georgia Tech, because of Bobby Cremins. Whoever said he was about the least unlikable guy in college basketball was spot on. It was just impossible not to like him or his teams. The same goes for Valvano too, I guess -- but as I became a Duke fan, State became a "rival," so it's a different dynamic there.

jtheall
12-31-2014, 01:39 AM
I'm a recent Clemson grad (May of 2014) so this was easy for me. I watch / attend every Tigers football game but the basketball team is a different story. I only watch them vs. Duke and other Top 25 teams, and when they play in the Dean Dome (they'll get a W there someday...maybe). Clemson always seems to lose some questionable games each season (home losses to Kenpom #234 Winthrop and #160 Rutgers already this year), but they tend to bring their A-game when the Blue Devils come to town (last year's game and the blowout in 08/09 come to mind).

If that wasn't the case, my #2 would probably be Virginia. They seem to have high standards both academically and athletically - a true ACC team.

Maybe we can do the most hated non-UNC ACC team next?

MarkD83
12-31-2014, 08:50 AM
With two kids at VT I had to at least give them one vote.

Dev11
12-31-2014, 09:48 AM

You people know more than you let on. Just be patient.

Henderson
12-31-2014, 11:03 AM
Virginia. Because:

1. Classic ACC team, in since 1953 and regionally correct.
2. Academically kinda like Duke.
3. Top Siders, Add-a-Bead necklasses, and monogrammed sweaters.
4. Jeff Lamp.
5. Love the school colors.
6. Thomas Jefferson.
7. Don't beat us often enough to hate them... Yet.
8. Charlottesville is a nice town.
9. Good coach building the right way (or so it seems).
10. I never would have known what a Wahoo is without them, but I knew what a Yahoo was before I discovered Clemson or UNC.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Grew up in FL as a huge UM fan - father went there. Always hoped their hoops team would get it together in a sustained way. Love seeing Larranaga make a real difference there. I pull for them every game except of course when they're playing our boys. Go Duke! Go Canes!

jv001
12-31-2014, 01:26 PM
Virginia. Because:

4. Jeff Lamp.
6. Thomas Jefferson.
10. I never would have known what a Wahoo is without them, but I knew what a Yahoo was before I discovered Clemson or UNC.

#4 is a good reason to like Virginia. I always liked that guy and he played on some very good Cavalier teams. GoDuke!

blazindw
01-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Miami is my law school alma mater and my obvious pick. I always hope they finish 2nd in everything behind us, of course, but while they make it a chore at times, I root for them to destroy every team not named Duke in the ACC.

Edouble
01-02-2015, 03:52 AM
Virginia. Because:

4. Jeff Lamp.
6. Thomas Jefferson.

I have five UVA alums in my family and I still can't bring myself to root for them. Incredibly snobby student body. Weird, cult-like campus (secret societies, unwavering loyalty to "TJ", insistence on Virginia-specific campus ["grounds"] terminology), and of course the insufferable two mascot dichotomy. C'ville is one of the more unwelcoming college towns I have visited.

Preppy, preppy, preppy...

gumbomoop
01-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Although I voted for UVa in this poll, and like others greatly admire Bennett, I won't necessarily support them in all their games. Tonight, for example, I'll pull for Miami. I see Miami as maybe a top 5-6 ACC finisher, but UVa will challenge for a top 3 spot, and thus is a bigger threat to Duke for seeding. I also admire Larranaga's coaching.

devildeac
01-05-2015, 09:24 PM
My favorite non-Duke ACC team is whoever is playing c*rolina but that was not (technically) an option in the poll:o.

Seriously, it'd have to be WFU or I'd have to change my screen name:o.

Tonight, it was ND;).