PDA

View Full Version : Happy days are here again!

RelativeWays
09-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Victory!!!! We Have Something Notre Dame Doesn't.......a Win In 2007!!!

Kewlswim
09-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Go Duke! Go Duke Football! Watch Out Sc (j/k) Go Duke!

godukecom
09-15-2007, 11:32 PM
We Won A Football Game
Yeeeeaaaahhhhh

Devilsfan
09-15-2007, 11:32 PM
All the two-a-days finally paid off.

Joehurley1
09-15-2007, 11:33 PM
How sweet it is. A win streak has started!

AtlBluRew
Congratulations team!!!

jipops
whew. more nail-biting fun.

Huge defensive stops inside the 10!

4decadedukie
Next Saturday, I'll be at Navy; I can't wait.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Happy days are here again, the skies are BLUE and clear again! Happy days are here agaaaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnn!

The streak is dead. Long live the new streak!

Highlander
09-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Congratulations to the Duke Defense! What a stand! Two 4th down stops in the last 3 minutes of the game. Duke's defense went out there and refused to let us lose this game.

The offense was great in the first half, but a bit passive in the second. Still, the Offensive line was solid in pass protection all night, and our receivers and QB had an incredible game.

Kudos to the coaching staff who wasn't afraid to take chances and go for it on 4th down. Our first half efficiency on 3rd down was 5/7 at one point, and still respectable for the game. All around, this was by far our best effort on both sides of the ball in quite some time.

Congrats to the boys in blue and white. The streak is over, and you learned how to win.

One last thing - the 4th down reversal from the booth had to be one of the worst calls I have ever seen. That almost cost us the game, as we were driving on that series and should have ended up with points.

blazindw
I'm marking this day in my calendar. Both my alma mater's won in football today. It will take awhile to figure out when that last happened.

Mine did too, and counting Michigan (the team I grew up cheering for), I'm 3 for 3 today (Duke, Miami, Michigan). Outstanding!!:) :) :) :)

allenmurray
YES, HOW SWEET IS INDEED

WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 and counting no more

AND GUESS WHAT?

WE HAVE THE SAME RECORD HAS UNC AND NC STATE!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS GET READY FOR NAVY!!!!!!

WE WON, GREAT GAME PATRICK BAILY
DEFINATLEY MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stripes01
09-15-2007, 11:37 PM
As Bob Harris would say "How Sweet It Is!"

VAGentleman05
09-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Way to go, guys!! I was listening on XM and rooting hard for you.

VaDukie
09-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Way to go, guys!! I was listening on XM and rooting hard for you.

And thank your boys for making the day extra sweet with that defeat of the Heels!

captmojo
09-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Wooo Hooo! One in a row! Holes lose!:p ;) :D :eek:

ehdg
09-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I really hope this is the game that helps turn our program around. I truly believe in Coach Roof and I think a Win like this will do a world of good for our team. Now that they've tasted winning and done it in a close game maybe they can build on this. Sometimes it's harder to get the first win and from there a team really starts to believe in themselves and use it to build upon. I really hope this is the start of good things for Coach Roof and our boys. They so deserve this. Just a shame they couldn't have gotten this at home and and been swarmed by the fans. They deserve for our student body to show and welcome them home when they get back tomorrow. These guys deserve some love from all of us for what they did tonight and what they've gone through to finally get there!!!

gep
09-15-2007, 11:42 PM
CONGRATULATIONS... GUYS... enjoy this... you deserve it.

killerleft
09-15-2007, 11:44 PM
This feels almost as good as a basketball ACC Tourney Championship! That monkey on our backs was big as an elephant!

4decadedukie
09-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Worth posting to this thread, too. CONGRATULATIONS to Coach Roof, his assistants, and especially our players. A LOT of hard work, good attitude, and talent finally prevails.

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-15-2007, 11:48 PM
And what huge hearts they are!!!!!!!
Love, love, love, Ima:D

micah75
09-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Yay team! Congratulations are in order!

prefan21
09-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Huge congratulations to the team. This was a win against a Big 10 team coming off a 2-0 start. And the last-minute stand was a thing of beauty.

Here's hoping there's a big celebration on campus. :cool:

CCx3
09-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Congrats boys!

I forget who the Duke radio interviewed post-game but I just loved that interview.

Lets make this streak last longer than the last one!

Watch out Navy! :D

chrishoke
09-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Amazing = Congrats Guys And Coaches

OZZIE4DUKE
09-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Thank you for "unmoving" my thread!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Anyone know what time the Duke plane gets into RDU? Can we get the band out there to welcome them on the tarmac?

grc5
09-16-2007, 12:10 AM
YES, HOW SWEET IS INDEED

WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 and counting no more

AND GUESS WHAT?

WE HAVE THE SAME RECORD HAS UNC AND NC STATE!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS GET READY FOR NAVY!!!!!!

WE WON, GREAT GAME PATRICK BAILY
DEFINATLEY MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only do we have the same record as UNC and State, we're the only ones with a win against a Division Formerly Known As I-A opponent:D

Bob Green
09-16-2007, 01:12 AM
The nation's longest losing streak now belongs to the Florida International University Golden Panthers at 15 straight. Here is to Duke never owning it again.

SoCalDukeFan
09-16-2007, 01:40 AM
My S.O. is a USC Trojan so we were flipping between the USC game and the Duke game. I did record the Duke game and will watch the whole thing next week.

The stand at the end of the game by Duke was great. I also thought that there were a couple of calls by the refs that went NW's way, especially one interference call that looked completely bogus. The refs also missed the spot on an important 4th down play when it looked like we made it. So we had to overcome both the crowd and the refs.

On the negative side we did miss an extra point. On our last possession we did not run the clock down to 1 or 2 seconds before snapping the ball and gave NW too much time. I would expect that the coaches will go over that with the QB next week.

All is all great win. Here's hoping we have some swagger and confidence.

SoCal

4decadedukie
09-16-2007, 07:25 AM
SoCal,

My wife and I could only listen on the Internet (WGN's live-feed), so I really appreciate you report, especially re the questionable calls. Obviously, you never get that from the home team's broadcasters, but things did not seem wholly legitimate even over the net.

JasonEvans
09-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Images from the win: Courtesy Yahoo (http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/search?p=duke&c=news_photos)

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070916/capt.f90503742eee4a77b0372d7f89294f66.correction_d uke_northwestern_football_iljl105.jpg
Thad and coach Roof celebrate

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070916/capt.eb1f566f29844d5b876674f44c1e4272.duke_northwe stern_football_iljl111.jpg
Coach wants to know how the heck the refs blew that call

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070916/capt.fb6ce3ea7fd64301b68ac0d511ba4f26.duke_northwe stern_football_iljl113.jpg
Thad throws TD pass to ronnie Drummer in 2nd quarter

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070916/capt.aea2010d103046ddb9e27cd83c534020.duke_northwe stern_football_iljl112.jpg
Jomar with the stiffarm!

--Jason "good stuff!" Evans

JasonEvans
09-16-2007, 07:59 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070916/capt.bc631bff47d34b26a2378f2a111583b7.duke_northwe stern_football_iljl103.jpg
Ronnie Drummer running for his 56-yard TD pass. Check out the celebrating teammates on the sidelines behind him.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070916/capt.8a6ea488a1b54a1986af5a1772e9d261.duke_northwe stern_football_iljl107.jpg
Celebration!!!

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070916/capt.06766434588644dabd25a423edcfb00f.duke_northwe stern_football_iljl106.jpg
More celebration!!

--Jason "how sweet it is!" Evans

Highlander
09-16-2007, 08:07 AM
I watched the game on the Big 10 network. The referees were from the ACC. Not sure if that's relevant, but it makes sense later.

Duke went for it on 4th and 1 late in the third quarter. Lewis went on a QB keeper and appeared to plow ahead for the first down. Video replays seemed to confirm that he had made it. The referees upstairs (Big 10 officials) called for a booth review, and the announcers all didn't think they would reverse it b/c 1) it looked like he made it and 2) if he didn't, there wasn't irrefutable evidence. However, they did reverse it. The only thing I can fathom is that they saw him slip and his knee hit the turf early, because the spot was back at the original line of scrimmage, a full yard behind where Lewis actually landed.

The pass interference call was atrocious. Duke's CB had beaten the NW guy for the ball (which was overthrown) and was in position to make the catch, and the NW guy ran into the back of him. There was a second NW receiver in the area, and a Duke guy right on him who trailed him w/o using his hands or his body. Neither player interefered, and the pass was uncatchable anyway. But no matter. This was a bail-out call by the officials, pure and simple.

There was also a "leading with the helmet" phantom foul on us during the same series. The Duke player did try to tackle the NW guy while he was restrained, but he didn't hit him with his helmet (in fact he barely hit him at all). Both those plays helped keep the drive alive.

Duke had a hard time stopping NWestern on offense in the middle of the field, even with NWestern repeatedly making their job easier with 2nd and 20's due to holding. They said NWestern's record for penalties was 14 against Duke a few years ago. This time they had 13, and we had about 9. However, in the first half we had 1-2 and they had 6-7, so the fans were really on the officials about how few calls NWestern was getting.

All in all, it wasn't a superb officiated game as there were numerous blown calls. I'm sure both teams feel like they were hosed.

JasonEvans
09-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks, Highlander.

In the final minutes, the Duke radio crew was going ballistic about 2 plays they felt should have been reviewed but were not or were reviewed and not reversed. One was on NW 2nd to last drive of the game when the QB apparently went over the line-of-scrimmage to make a pass. The other was a ball that Bob Harris felt clearly bounced before a NW reciever scooped it up. Coach Roof was apparently going crazy on both of these and demanding booth review, but he did not get it in either case.

Do you recall these two plays? How did they look to you? What were the Big Ten network anouncers saying about the refs?

--Jason "it did seems like NW had a lot of offensive penalties, but it rarely if ever stopped them from getting a 1st down a few plays later" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
09-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Wallace Wade Stadium is missing a goal post this morning! Who said Duke students don't care about football? That is obviously hogwash.

On the downside, a female student was injured when she was hit by the falling post. Hope her injuries are minor and she fully recovers. She should be honored at the next home game!

Highlander
09-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Highlander.

In the final minutes, the Duke radio crew was going ballistic about 2 plays they felt should have been reviewed but were not or were reviewed and not reversed. One was on NW 2nd to last drive of the game when the QB apparently went over the line-of-scrimmage to make a pass. The other was a ball that Bob Harris felt clearly bounced before a NW reciever scooped it up. Coach Roof was apparently going crazy on both of these and demanding booth review, but he did not get it in either case.

Do you recall these two plays? How did they look to you? What were the Big Ten network anouncers saying about the refs?

--Jason "it did seems like NW had a lot of offensive penalties, but it rarely if ever stopped them from getting a 1st down a few plays later" Evans

The line of scrimmage play - the QB looked like he stepped his toe on the line of scrimmage, then went backward. I'm not sure what the rule is in college, but I think it is that he needs to cross the line. It was close, b/c the blue "line" on TV was directly under his feet, but it wasn't egregious IMO. It probably had about a 10% chance of being reversed.

The short hop - This was just Bob being a homer IMO. On the replay, the ball was clearly caught. Roof actually challenged this play and lost. It was definitely close, but the ball never touched the ground from what I could see.

I listened to Bob most of the game, but when I did listen to the Big 10 announcers they seemed to be tacitly pulling for Duke. They thought the 4th down reversal was bad, and they kept making statements like "Duke's doing a good job of going out and getting this win rather than waiting for it to come to them. They're being really aggressive." I didn't hear them being overly homer-istic anyway.

I actually have the whole game on my DVR still. Went back and watched both plays to make sure. I might be able to put it onto a DVD if anyone was interested, as long as they would cover shipping. Is that illegal?

Wander
09-16-2007, 01:19 PM
One was on NW 2nd to last drive of the game when the QB apparently went over the line-of-scrimmage to make a pass. The other was a ball that Bob Harris felt clearly bounced before a NW reciever scooped it up.

I don't remember the first one, but the catch was questionable either way. There definately wasn't "inconclusive evidence" to overturn the call made on the field, so it wasn't bad officiating.