PDA

View Full Version : Other People's Bowl Games

sagegrouse
12-24-2014, 11:36 PM
The early games may be kind of lame, but not to the players.

Rice 30, Fresno State 6 in the Hawaii Bowl

As a Fighting Owl, I only have a few words:

"Grab 'em by the ankles,
Grab 'em by the socks!
Hell yes! Hell yes!
Go Rice jocks!"

And this historical gem, from the days of The Rice Institute (pre-1962 and even pre-Sage):

"Rooty-toot-toot, rooty-toot-toot!
We are the boys from the Institute!"

Brandon Connette received one pass for four yards for the Bulldogs. Thanks for everything, Brandon!

OldPhiKap
12-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Thanks, Brandon!

Reilly
12-25-2014, 12:58 AM
On the Scout "The Devil's Den" board, BC's dad posted that he, BC, and BC's brothers planned to drive from Southern California to El Paso for Duke's game. So Brandon's going from playing for Fresno in Hawaii on Christmas Eve to rooting for Duke in El Paso on the 27th (and making the mainland trip via car).

OldPhiKap
12-25-2014, 08:29 AM
On the Scout "The Devil's Den" board, BC's dad posted that he, BC, and BC's brothers planned to drive from Southern California to El Paso for Duke's game. So Brandon's going from playing for Fresno in Hawaii on Christmas Eve to rooting for Duke in El Paso on the 27th (and making the mainland trip via car).

Very cool! Maybe he could borrow a jersey and . . . .

jimsumner
12-25-2014, 10:56 AM
The early games may be kind of lame, but not to the players.

Rice 30, Fresno State 6 in the Hawaii Bowl

As a Fighting Owl, I only have a few words:

"Grab 'em by the ankles,
Grab 'em by the socks!
Hell yes! Hell yes!
Go Rice jocks!"

And this historical gem, from the days of The Rice Institute (pre-1962 and even pre-Sage):

"Rooty-toot-toot, rooty-toot-toot!
We are the boys from the Institute!"

Brandon Connette received one pass for four yards for the Bulldogs. Thanks for everything, Brandon!

Fresno State had a fourth-and-one deep in Rice territory in the first half, when the game was still competitive. A perfect opportunity for the Connette package. Instead they passed for negative yards.

Posh.

As an aside, is Fresno State the only eight-loss bowl team ever? Talk about cognitive dissonance. We had a great season; we went to a bowl. We had a terrible season; we lost eight games.

OldPhiKap
12-25-2014, 11:37 AM
As an aside, is Fresno State the only eight-loss bowl team ever? Talk about cognitive dissonance. We had a great season; we went to a bowl. We had a terrible season; we lost eight games.

Well, if the Falcons are still in the playoff race, I guess anything is possible.

Wander
12-25-2014, 12:24 PM

UCLA in 2011 also went 6-8. Their last opponent, Illinois, entered the bowl game on a 6 game losing streak. Worst bowl ever.

jimsumner
12-25-2014, 03:05 PM
UCLA in 2011 also went 6-8. Their last opponent, Illinois, entered the bowl game on a 6 game losing streak. Worst bowl ever.

Exhibit A in the we-have-too-many-bowl-games-narrative.

sagegrouse
12-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Both games are on ESPN.

UNC (-3 1/2) faces Rutgers in Detroit at the Quick Lane Bowl at 4:30.

State takes on Central Florida (UCF) (-3) at the Bitcoin St. Pete Bowl at 8.

jv001
12-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Both games are on ESPN.

Go Wolfpack! Go UCF!!!! and as always GoDuke!

davekay1971
12-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Both games are on ESPN.

While I'll be cheering for Rutgers, I'll be boycotting the game on the grounds that UNC should have long since received the death penalty. I don't want my cable channel selection to have even the slightest chance of rewarding the Cheaters. I'm sure something more deserving is on at 4 pm today. A Honey Boo Boo rerun, maybe...

Reilly
12-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Fridge is the Rutgers OC I believe.

Honey Boo Boo is a UNC fan I believe.

wilson
12-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Both games are on ESPN.

State takes on Central Florida (UCF) (-3) at the Bitcoin St. Pete Bowl at 8.Maybe you were just tracking ACC action, but there was also Lousiana Tech-Illinois in the Heart of Dallas Bowl (How could you forget?!?!). La Tech is currently putting the finishing touches on a convincing victory late in the 4th.

sagegrouse
12-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Heels trail 14-0 in the 2Q. UNC ran a fake field goal inside the ten and fooled no one.

TKG
12-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Heels trail 14-0 in the 2Q. UNC ran a fake field goal inside the ten and fooled no one.

Update: Rutgers 20. Cheats 0. 2nd quarter

sagegrouse
12-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Update: Rutgers 20. Cheats 0. 2nd quarter

UNC (attempted) scoring plays:

(1) Fake field goal resulting in an off-tackle run by the kicker, which loses five yards. Uh, Heels. Heels? The defensive tackles are rushing straight ahead to block the kick. Won't they notice some little guy with the ball in their path?

(2) Blocked field goal by the defensive right-side outside rusher.

Reilly
12-26-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm drinking Woodford Reserve.

Those two strands of Xmas tree lights that were on the fritz just popped back on.

The 14 y.o. dog just woke up, looking spry and puppy-ish.

Dinner's in the oven.

Rutgers 23, UNC 0.

It's the most wonderful time of the year ....

TKG
12-26-2014, 06:05 PM
At the half:

Rutger: 23 Cheats: 0

Duvall
12-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Come on UNC - you guys are professionals! Show some pride.

Reilly
12-26-2014, 06:17 PM
As OlyFan noted (ahead of time), Giglio of the N&O didn't know what he was talking about with his "insider" sources and bowl placement in the week leading up to bowl-unveiling Sunday .... but props to the man for this gem:

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 9m9 minutes ago
RT @jwgiglio: UNC checking with the NCAA at the half to see if this counts as a self-imposed bowl ban

Duvall
12-26-2014, 06:24 PM
As OlyFan noted (ahead of time), Giglio of the N&O didn't know what he was talking about with his "insider" sources and bowl placement in the week leading up to bowl-unveiling Sunday ....

Wait, Duke isn't going to the Sun Bowl? I hope we can clear this up before I get on this plane to El Paso...

hurleyfor3
12-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Come on UNC - you guys are professionals! Show some pride.

Clearly no one is fooled by them anymore.

BD80
12-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Was it in Detroit?

While I'll be cheering for Rutgers, I'll be boycotting the game on the grounds that UNC should have long since received the death penalty. ...

An argument could be made that Christmas in Detroit is worse punishment

OldPhiKap
12-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Was it in Detroit?

An argument could be made that Christmas in Detroit is worse punishment

37-7 early in the fourth quarter. In related news, Roy still has time outs.

sagegrouse
12-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Le massacre continue -- 37-7.

Sacre bleu! Comment perdons nous a ces moutons?

OldPhiKap
12-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Le massacre continue -- 37-7.

Sacre bleu! Comment perdons nous a ces moutons?

40-7. Fugly.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-26-2014, 07:36 PM
40-7. Fugly.
If two teams play football in late December and no one is there to see it, is it in fact a bowl game?

roywhite
12-26-2014, 07:43 PM
40-7. Fugly.

Or beautiful, when we consider the team on the short end of that score.

OldPhiKap
12-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Or beautiful, when we consider the team on the short end of that score.

4014. We may need to move to the "Don't Jinx It" thread.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-26-2014, 07:44 PM
This is a new way to finish a football game...

DukieInKansas
12-26-2014, 07:47 PM
They are trying to make a game of it.

BD80
12-26-2014, 08:31 PM
1.2 – Millions of dollars that the Quick Lane Bowl pays to both the Big Ten and ACC

23,876 – Attendance at 65,000-seat Ford Field

The heels should be used to playing in quiet domes.

CameronBornAndBred
12-26-2014, 08:39 PM
What is up with the Bitcoin Bowl field? At first I thought it was supposed to be a design. Then I thought maybe there were drainage issues...but it's a covered stadium.

uh_no
12-26-2014, 09:02 PM
What is up with the Bitcoin Bowl field? At first I thought it was supposed to be a design. Then I thought maybe there were drainage issues...but it's a covered stadium.

the turf at trop always looks like that

http://www.dailyfantasysports.net/baseball/park-factors/75.jpg

gurufrisbee
12-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Rutgers giving Christmas gifts for one more day, I see. I like it.

devildeac
12-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Rutgers, my favorite team today.

YmoBeThere
12-26-2014, 10:22 PM
In honor of my sister, Go RU!

Drove into a wet and rainy El Paso an hour ago.

MulletMan
12-26-2014, 10:35 PM
I know that I am late, but couldn't post earlier. The ESPN guys said that uNC's punter was "suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team". Considering what HASN'T resulted in uNC player suspensions to this point, I can only assume one of the following:

1. The punter has killed someone
Or
2. The punter went to class and this was considered detrimental to the team
Or
3. He did something worse than cheating in his classes, taking money from agents, borrowing cars from convicted felons, or beating a walk on senseless in a hotel as part of a hazing ritual.

I am leaning toward 2.

hurleyfor3
12-26-2014, 10:39 PM
2. The punter went to class and this was considered detrimental to the team

My first thought was he studied and ended up busting the curve for everyone else.

Duvall
12-26-2014, 11:28 PM

The Bitcoin Bowl is played at Tropicana Field, which is both covered and somehow still has drainage issues. Worst stadium in at least two sports, and perhaps a third.

gurufrisbee
12-27-2014, 12:40 AM
Maybe the punter had the audacity to suggest they could show up in the first half of the a game.

brevity
12-27-2014, 02:29 AM
The ESPN guys said that uNC's punter was "suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team".

Probably did something truly horrible by Chapel Hill standards, like a demand a timeout or something.

Whatever it was, that punter let his team down, considering what's at stake (http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/asdsadadadasfa-1675420781/all).

Olympic Fan
12-27-2014, 10:22 AM
the turf at trop always looks like that

http://www.dailyfantasysports.net/baseball/park-factors/75.jpg

Never seen a football game in the trop, but I've seen Duke play basketball there several times. Maybe they've done some major renovation in the last decade, but when I was last there in 1999. the trop ranked as one of the two biggest dumps I've ever seen for a major sporting venue. Only the Rosemont Horizon is in the same class as an architectural nightmare.

Third and fourth place in awfulness are the old Spectrum and the Tallahassee-Leon County Civic Center.

A couple of older places -- such as Memorial Gym at Clemson -- would make the list, but they are long gone. I guess I should drop the Spectrum from the list since it's also long gone. The new arena in Philly (not sure of its current corporate name) is a solid place.

BTW: Thanks, Rutgers ... and congrats to NC State (although I almost lost it when they threw away 3 points at the end of the first half). ACC off to a 1-1 start.I know some of you don't care how the conference fares, but it does have long-term impact on how the ACC -- and Duke! -- are perceived nationally. Now that the Cheats have lost, I can pull for the rest of the ACC without reservations.

devildeac
12-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Never seen a football game in the trop, but I've seen Duke play basketball there several times. Maybe they've done some major renovation in the last decade, but when I was last there in 1999. the trop ranked as one of the two biggest dumps I've ever seen for a major sporting venue. Only the Rosemont Horizon is in the same class as an architectural nightmare.

Third and fourth place in awfulness are the old Spectrum and the Tallahassee-Leon County Civic Center.

A couple of older places -- such as Memorial Gym at Clemson -- would make the list, but they are long gone. I guess I should drop the Spectrum from the list since it's also long gone. The new arena in Philly (not sure of its current corporate name) is a solid place.

BTW: Thanks, Rutgers ... and congrats to NC State (although I almost lost it when they threw away 3 points at the end of the first half). ACC off to a 1-1 start.I know some of you don't care how the conference fares, but it does have long-term impact on how the ACC -- and Duke! -- are perceived nationally. Now that the Cheats have lost, I can pull for the rest of the ACC without reservations.

With one exception for me: Go Ducks! I have little use for f$u and their criminal ways either.

kmspeaks
12-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Anyone watching VT-CIN see what the Cincinnati wide receiver did to warrant an excessive celebration penalty?

sagegrouse
12-27-2014, 06:19 PM

B

Re Spectrum: 10-10, 1-1, 10-10, 104-103. Most famous shot in CBB history. As ugly as it was, they should rebuild it and make it a national monument.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Re Spectrum: 10-10, 1-1, 10-10, 104-103. Most famous shot in CBB history. As ugly as it was, they should rebuild it and make it a national monument.

At least a statue of someone running down the court, arm extended to the heavens.

Indoor66
12-28-2014, 08:56 AM
At least a statue of someone running down the court, arm extended to the heavens.

Yeah - down there next to Rocky. :cool:

OldPhiKap
12-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Yeah - down there next to Rocky. :cool:

I saw a few Dead shows at the Spectrun, and everyone would plan to "meet at the Rocky statute after the show" -- which related quite a mess.

But the closing of the Spectrum was a good thing, it was ready to be retired.

Jim3k
12-28-2014, 10:02 PM

Agree that the Trop is a dump. And that was true eleven years ago when I saw the A's play the (then) Devil Rays. Bunker would be a better description. They also lie when they say their policy on outside food and drink is in conformance with MLB rules. Uh...No. They bar outside provisions even for children; many MLB stadiums don't have that rule. Plus they had the loudest heckler I have ever beheld. But then there were only 100 fans (OK, 200) so he was easily heard. I've visited a lot more pleasant MLB venues.

And now it is even older.

77devil
12-28-2014, 10:21 PM
I saw a few Dead shows at the Spectrun, and everyone would plan to "meet at the Rocky statute after the show" -- which related quite a mess.

Particularly if it was when Rocky was at the Art Museum. :) Rocky got around.

But the closing of the Spectrum was a good thing, it was ready to be retired.

The Spectrum opened in the mid-60s and the roof partially blew off soon after. Some would argue that like the Schuylkill expressway, it should never have opened, but then there's 1992.

OldPhiKap
12-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Rocky got around.

Shhhh. Don't tell Adrian.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-28-2014, 10:48 PM
The Trop is good for one thing... A highly visible reference point when you're out in the bay fishing. That's about it.

sagegrouse
12-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Particularly if it was when Rocky was at the Art Museum. :) Rocky got around.

The Spectrum opened in the mid-60s and the roof partially blew off soon after. Some would argue that like the Schuylkill expressway, it should never have opened, but then there's 1992.

I was just there, and there was a Rocky Balboa statue with arms raised at the bottom of the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Bob Green
12-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Clemson's defense is dominating Oklahoma early in the Russell Athletic Bowl. They are up 17-0 in the 1st Quarter.

Bob Green
12-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Clemson up 27-0. Costly penalties by Oklahoma. The Sooners are 0/6 on 3rd Down. This is quickly becoming a blowout. The announcers commented this looks like the varsity versus the jv.

It is time to switch the TV over and watch Duke basketball!

Duvall
12-31-2014, 01:15 PM
This is the worst-played Chick-Fil-A/Peach Bowl I have seen in years.

pfrduke
12-31-2014, 02:26 PM
TCU is pretty good; Mississippi, on the other hand - yeesh.

Bob Green
12-31-2014, 02:48 PM
TCU is pretty good; Mississippi, on the other hand - yeesh.

This is not the same Mississippi team that beat Alabama. Their season went downhill when they lost star receiver Treadwell to a broken leg. I believe they have lost another playmaker since then - Sanders or Saunders?

YmoBeThere
12-31-2014, 03:17 PM
This is not the same Mississippi team that beat Alabama. Their season went downhill when they lost star receiver Treadwell to a broken leg. I believe they have lost another playmaker since then - Sanders or Saunders?

#1 Scoring defense in the NCAA = 42 points in 3 quarters

fisheyes
12-31-2014, 10:59 PM
Wow. We beat this team.

Coulda woulda shoulda been us in the Orange Bowl.

uh_no
12-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Wow. We beat this team.

Coulda woulda shoulda been us in the Orange Bowl.

To be fair, GT really improved as the season went on, whereas we largely stagnated (or regressed)...namely on offense.

killerleft
12-31-2014, 11:48 PM
I guess the SEC Propaganda Machine can rev up again next year and lie to us about how gridironly-wonderful they are. Let's all snicker together, and remember that intra-conference wins by overrated teams over other overrated teams don't necessarily equate to an historic level of national greatness. Go ACC.

Bob Green
12-31-2014, 11:57 PM
I guess the SEC Propaganda Machine can rev up again next year and lie to us about how gridironly-wonderful they are. Let's all snicker together, and remember that intra-conference wins by overrated teams over other overrated teams don't necessarily equate to an historic level of national greatness. Go ACC.

Exactly! The almighty SEC West is looking pretty pedestrian after losses by LSU, Ole Miss and Miss St.

killerleft
01-01-2015, 12:11 AM
To be fair, GT really improved as the season went on, whereas we largely stagnated (or regressed)...namely on offense.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to make that 31-25 victory at Grant Field into something positive.:rolleyes:

Duvall
01-01-2015, 12:15 AM
Exactly! The almighty SEC West is looking pretty pedestrian after losses by LSU, Ole Miss and Miss St.

Well, the SEC West did have that quality non-conference win against Wisconsin, so.

Olympic Fan
01-01-2015, 01:04 AM
Well, the SEC West did have that quality non-conference win against Wisconsin, so.

And how does that compare with the ACC Coastal's non-conference win at Ohio State? And at Georgia?

The funny thing is the SEC is doing fairly well in bowls -- except for the heavyweights from the mighty SEC West -- aka the greatest division in NCAA history.

The SEC is 4-3 in bowl games so far with wins from South Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas and Texas A&M. The three losses are all from the SEC West -- LSU and blowout losses by Ole Miss and Mississippi State. The SEC West is 2-3 with both wins coming from the division's two worst teams (Arkansas and Texas A&M). We'll see how Auburn and Alabama do Thursday.

The ACC is now 4-5 (or 5-5 if you count Notre Dame).

Despite TCU's impressive win, the Big 12 is a mere 1-3 in bowls so far. The Big Ten is 2-3.

The Pac 12 has the honors so far with a 4-1 start.

Still a bunch of bowls to go ...

jv001
01-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Yeah, we wouldn't want to make that 31-25 victory at Grant Field into something positive.:rolleyes:

Only if we were named UConn, :cool: GoDuke!

Bob Green
01-01-2015, 01:50 PM
We'll see how Auburn and Alabama do Thursday.

Auburn is benefitting from Wisconsin's inaccurate quarterback. Badger receivers have been open.

Tom B.
01-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Yeah. Remember how it was going to be Ole Miss vs. Mississippi State for the national championship?

http://cdn-jpg.si.com/sites/default/files/styles/si_gallery_slide/public/images/42COVv7miss.jpg

That was late October -- but it seems sooooo long ago.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2015, 03:45 PM
. . . And down goes Auburn . . . .

killerleft
01-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Too bad, so sad.:p Great game, great escape by the Badgers. Man, that Gordon III can play!

Tripping William
01-01-2015, 04:17 PM

To a team that acquitted itself so very well in the B14 title game. Maybe tOSU has a shot against Bama after all.

YmoBeThere
01-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Baylor failed to make their case today.

Wander
01-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Yeah yeah, I'll go rah-rah for the ACC and root for FSU (yuck) in penance and join Udaman in watching Interstellar a bunch for being wrong that the SEC West was obviously the best division in the sport's history. But it still probably was the best division this season, so I don't feel TOO bad.

Go Noles! (vomit)

Dukehky
01-01-2015, 07:48 PM
In watching FSU vs. Oregon, and more specifically, Winston vs. Mariota, I think Jameis is just miles ahead as a pro style QB. I find myself just praying, as a Panthers fan, that Tampa Bay drafts Mariota instead of Winston (just as quarterbacks, not as people or citizens or whatever).

Oregon looks like a better team all around. It seriously looks like Jameis and Rashad Green vs. everyone in green.

Dalvin Cook just lost this game for FSU

arnie
01-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah yeah, I'll go rah-rah for the ACC and root for FSU (yuck) in penance and join Udaman in watching Interstellar a bunch for being wrong that the SEC West was obviously the best division in the sport's history. But it still probably was the best division this season, so I don't feel TOO bad.

Go Noles! (vomit)

If Alabama goes down; don't see it happening, but IF, how does SEC ever spin this?? The greatest conference division in the history of the world gets completely embarrassed in games that count. About all they can say " we beat up on the SEC East who won their bowl games". Don't see that gaining traction.

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:02 PM
I gotta say... watching FSU (and Winston) fail this spectacularly is really kicking off the new year the right way.

uh_no
01-01-2015, 08:05 PM
I gotta say... watching FSU (and Winston) fail this spectacularly is really kicking off the new year the right way.

when you have THAT many close games against THAT many poor teams, you're not "finding a way to win"...you're simply not good enough to win decisively.

Saying "well they keep winning" while ignoring the WAY they win....getting lucky coming back in close games....is folly....and a mistake often made when people say "quit complaining, they [duke or otherwise]" won.

Dukehky
01-01-2015, 08:09 PM

Winston kept his team in the game for 3 1/2 quarters against a substantially better coached team who is better in all aspects, except at QB. None of the turnovers have been on Jameis except for maybe that slip and fall, but it was 4th and 5 with no time and he was trying to keep the play alive.

I would be willing to bet all of my Star Wars figurines that Jameis is a better pro than Mariota. Some of the throws that kid has made today... guys in the NFL can't make those throws.

That being said, FSU did not deserve to be in the Final Four. It should have been TCU, and always should have been. They barely beat a bunch of mediocre teams in a mediocre fashion.

Tripping William
01-01-2015, 08:09 PM

I hope Oregon celebrates with a plateful of crab legs.

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:11 PM
when you have THAT many close games against THAT many poor teams, you're not "finding a way to win"...you're simply not good enough to win decisively.

Saying "well they keep winning" while ignoring the WAY they win....getting lucky coming back in close games....is folly....and a mistake often made when people say "quit complaining, they [duke or otherwise]" won.

Yep. I'd also like to call out this quote made by Winston...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/florida-state-seminoles-oregon-ducks-rose-bowl-jameis-winston-speaks-122814

"I don't mean to come off as arrogant, but we don't discriminate. Even if he was on the field, we were going to be looking forward to playing him.

"It's going to be a football game. Things happen in football games. Things happen at football practice. Like I said, it's a team thing. It's not just attacking one player or picking on somebody. I believe we've got the best receiver in the country in Rashad Greene and the best tight end in Nick O'Leary, and I believe our other guys are pretty good, too.

"We don't fear nobody. Richard Sherman get out there and line up against us, we wouldn't throw away from him neither."

I wonder if he still feels this way...

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Winston kept his team in the game for 3 1/2 quarters against a substantially better coached team who is better in all aspects, except at QB. None of the turnovers have been on Jameis except for maybe that slip and fall, but it was 4th and 5 with no time and he was trying to keep the play alive.

I would be willing to bet all of my Star Wars figurines that Jameis is a better pro than Mariota. Some of the throws that kid has made today... guys in the NFL can't make those throws.

That being said, FSU did not deserve to be in the Final Four. It should have been TCU, and always should have been. They barely beat a bunch of mediocre teams in a mediocre fashion.

I think Winston flops. I think he's a less athletic Cam Newton with more off field issues (tough to do).

Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Duvall
01-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Oh, FSU. Couldn't happen to a nicer set of guys and fans.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Game, blouses. 51(2)-20

uh_no
01-01-2015, 08:19 PM
I think Winston flops. I think he's a less athletic Cam Newton with more off field issues (tough to do).

I wouldn't draft him due to character issues, especially after manziel this year....but i think he's a better passer than cam, though cam has the edge in scrambling/running.

I think, though, that with oakland and Jersey/B so high in the draft that one of them picks him up.

Tripping William
01-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Run it up, Patos!

Dukehky

More off field issues than Cam Newton? Cam has been nothing but a model citizen and football player since he left Florida, after admittedly making a bad mistake. Did something stupid, paid for it, then took advantage of his next opportunities.

I see your comparison though, two big black quarterbacks who are nothing alike. Jameis doesn't run at all and is the definition of a pocket passer, Cam is best at hurry up read option. I don't give two squats about Jameis Winston, I just think he's a good football player. The end of that statement had nothing to do with the beginning either. Cam is certainly not a flop. 2 playoff appearances in 4 years. Seriously man, I will argue with you tooth and nail for saying something negative about Cameron Newton. You can say he isn't very good, which is stupid, but he hasn't had a meaningful off the field issue since 2007.

uh_no
Run it up, Patos!

hey, all teams use these cupcake games to prepare for real opponents down the line.

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't draft him due to character issues, especially after manziel this year....but i think he's a better passer than cam, though cam has the edge in scrambling/running.

I think, though, that with oakland and Jersey/B so high in the draft that one of them picks him up.

He's got a better arm. His arm is kind of like Kaepernick's due to the baseball background. But he's a tad inaccurate and makes some bad decisions. So maybe a less athletic Kaepernick is more appropriate? :)

Dukehky
01-01-2015, 08:23 PM

More accurate, Cam has a bigger arm. Again, those two guys, aside from looking similar, have drastically different playing styles. This is the JJ Redick to Grayson comparisons that stupid ESPN analysts make all over again

wavedukefan70s
01-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Gotta love them ducks.

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:24 PM
More off field issues than Cam Newton? Cam has been nothing but a model citizen and football player since he left Florida, after admittedly making a bad mistake. Did something stupid, paid for it, then took advantage of his next opportunities.

I see your comparison though, two big black quarterbacks who are nothing alike. Jameis doesn't run at all and is the definition of a pocket passer, Cam is best at hurry up read option. I don't give two squats about Jameis Winston, I just think he's a good football player. The end of that statement had nothing to do with the beginning either. Cam is certainly not a flop. 2 playoff appearances in 4 years. Seriously man, I will argue with you tooth and nail for saying something negative about Cameron Newton. You can say he isn't very good, which is stupid, but he hasn't had a meaningful off the field issue since 2007.

So, where did you miss the part where I said he has MORE off field issues than Cam? And you acknowledge that he had off field issues, did you not?

And sure, bring race into it. Good call.

They are pretty similar. Winston can run, just not as well as Cam. Both are big QBs.

I could have also said he's a less talented Andrew Luck. Does that make more sense to you?

Dukehky
01-01-2015, 08:27 PM
So, where did you miss the part where I said he has MORE off field issues than Cam? And you acknowledge that he had off field issues, did you not?

And sure, bring race into it. Good call.

They are pretty similar. Winston can run, just not as well as Cam. Both are big QBs.

I could have also said he's a less talented Andrew Luck. Does that make more sense to you?

He is more like Luck than he is Cam. Especially in his ability to read defenses and throw from the pocket. He runs as a very last resort and it is in no way a weapon that you waste time preparing for. You said "tough to do" when you were describing Cam's off the field issue. Also the race thing came into play again when someone compared him to Kaepernick. He is 0 like Kaeperick.

I didn't bring race into it to imply racism in any fashion, I just meant that it was a shallow comparison like those that get made about white basketball players. Most NFL qbs are white, so when you have black ones they naturally get compared to each other, similar to how white basketball players do. I'm not saying it is always bad, it just is a little lazy.

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:29 PM
He is more like Luck than he is Cam. Especially in his ability to read defenses and throw from the pocket. He runs as a very last resort and it is in no way a weapon that you waste time preparing for. You said "tough to do" when you were describing Cam's off the field issue. Also the race thing came into play again when someone compared him to Kaepernick. He is 0 like Kaeperick.

I didn't bring race into it to imply racism in any fashion, I just meant that it was a shallow comparison like those that get made about white basketball players. Most NFL qbs are white, so when you have black ones they naturally get compared to each other, similar to how white basketball players do. I'm not saying it is always bad, it just is a little lazy.

Winston doesn't run, but is fully capable and has done so when needed.

So yes, he is more like a less talented Andrew Luck.

uh_no
01-01-2015, 08:30 PM
He is more like Luck than he is Cam.

I think that's actually a really good comparison. The difference being that Luck doesn't seem to have the character issues, and takes it seriously. It's yet to be seen whether Winston will at the NFL level.

Tripping William
01-01-2015, 08:31 PM
I think that's actually a really good comparison. The difference being that Luck doesn't seem to have the character issues, and takes it seriously. It's yet to be seen whether Winston will at the NFL level.

Yes, Luck conducts himself as a professional. Jameis, well, doesn't.

Dukehky
01-01-2015, 08:33 PM

While I really do find this to be the most recently comparable person, I would like to say that I acknowledge that Luck was probably the best qb prospect in forever, and Winston isn't on that level.

I'm totally with you on the character stuff, I was not referring to that at all in my original post about him. Just talking about football ability.

Dukehky
01-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Yes, Luck conducts himself as a professional. Jameis, well, doesn't.

Well, Jameis isn't a professional is he?

Tripping William
01-01-2015, 08:36 PM

Not in any sense of the word, no.

uh_no
01-01-2015, 08:36 PM

It depends on whether you can count crab legs and acquittals as compensation....

Dukehky
01-01-2015, 08:40 PM
It depends on whether you can count crab legs and acquittals as compensation....

He took the crab legs, so that's just petty theft. Wasn't given to him, nor did he "earn it." You have to be charged to be acquitted...

He is either the dumbest social person in the history of the world, or he's a sociopath, I'm hoping for the former, but I just don't know.

Duvall
01-01-2015, 08:42 PM
This locks up the ACC receptions record for Vernon and Crowder, right?

Dukehky
01-01-2015, 08:44 PM
This locks up the ACC receptions record for Vernon and Crowder, right?

Sure does. Whoo!!! Transitive property wise, this was a good week for Duke football.

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:44 PM
http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/01/watch-florida-states-jameis-winston-commit-an-all-time-gaffe-during-the-rose-bowl/

luvdahops
01-01-2015, 08:46 PM

Agreed on all counts. Helferich has his detractors, but he sure had his team much better prepared for this game. Jameis has much better mechanics and arm strength than Mariota, and the latter has apparently never been responsible for audibles or checking down at the line of scrimmage. While that is undoubtedly a reflection of the Oregon system/tempo, it will make for a much longer transition to playing QB in the NFL.

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Shocking. Most of the FSU team didn't shake hands after the loss.

Tripping William
01-01-2015, 08:50 PM

Stay classy, Noles.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2015, 08:50 PM

They learned from Maryland.

luvdahops
01-01-2015, 08:52 PM

Very classy on their part. I suppose they are trying to fill the void left by Maryland's departure from the ACC.

Duvall
01-01-2015, 08:53 PM

Most seems like an exaggeration. Good to see ESPN pushing narratives to the end, though.

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Most seems like an exaggeration. Good to see ESPN pushing narratives to the end, though.

Wasn't exactly a difficult narrative to push.

uh_no
01-01-2015, 09:03 PM
someone should tell 'bama that dropping the opening kickoff in the endzone and walking away is a good way to give up an insta-TD.

arnie
01-01-2015, 09:10 PM
someone should tell 'bama that dropping the opening kickoff in the endzone and walking away is a good way to give up an insta-TD.

Wondered about that. Does it have to be covered up since balls not touched in the end zone are not covered?

Duvall
01-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Biggest Rose Bowl Game margin of defeat since the first one.

Merlindevildog91
01-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Wondered about that. Does it have to be covered up since balls not touched in the end zone are not covered?

I think because he touched it, it would have been a muff, and thus recoverable at the point where the ball ended up.

arnie
01-01-2015, 09:27 PM
I think because he touched it, it would have been a muff, and thus recoverable at the point where the ball ended up.

Makes sense - bizarre that the returner would just walk away from it.

uh_no
01-01-2015, 09:40 PM

It was a kickoff, so recoverable regardless of whether the other team touched it, as it had already gone 10 yards. You can never "just leave" a kickoff like you can a punt....which is why onside kicks work.

Merlindevildog91
01-01-2015, 09:46 PM
It was a kickoff, so recoverable regardless of whether the other team touched it, as it had already gone 10 yards. You can never "just leave" a kickoff like you can a punt....which is why onside kicks work.

In college lately, once a kickoff hits in the end zone without being touched, the referees have been blowing it dead. I saw it several times (unfortunately not enough) from Jack Willoughby this year. I don't know when the rule changed from the way you mentioned it in college, and I think it's still that way in the NFL. I assume it's a safety issue.

Speaking of bizarre things, did anyone else notice that the F$U guy actually said, "we'll kick" instead of "we'll defer," and the ref bailed him out by asking if he meant have the option in the second half? Kick is an option, so the ref could have said "ok, you'll kick off in the first half and Oregon will have the option in the second half to kick or receive."

Or at least that used to be the rule too. If not, whippersnappers, get off my lawn.

DU82
01-01-2015, 09:55 PM

That's not completely correct. A ball kicked into the end zone is dead. Rule 6, Section 1:

Ball Dead in End Zone
ARTICLE 7. a. When a free kick untouched by Team B touches the ground on
or behind Team B’s goal line, the ball becomes dead and belongs to Team B.
b. If the result of the free kick is a touchback (Rule 8-6) for Team B, they will
put the ball in play at their 25-yard line.

Also,

Free Kick at Rest
ARTICLE 5. If a free kick comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to
secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the receiving team at the deadball
spot.

arnie
01-01-2015, 09:57 PM
In college lately, once a kickoff hits in the end zone without being touched, the referees have been blowing it dead. I saw it several times (unfortunately not enough) from Jack Willoughby this year. I don't know when the rule changed from the way you mentioned it in college, and I think it's still that way in the NFL. I assume it's a safety .
Announcers (who didn't acknowledge the issue at beginning) agree with your assessment. The muff created the possible turnover, not simply allowing ball to be blown dead.

uh_no
01-01-2015, 09:58 PM
That's not completely correct. A ball kicked into the end zone is dead. Rule 6, Section 1:

Ball Dead in End Zone
ARTICLE 7. a. When a free kick untouched by Team B touches the ground on
or behind Team B’s goal line, the ball becomes dead and belongs to Team B.
b. If the result of the free kick is a touchback (Rule 8-6) for Team B, they will
put the ball in play at their 25-yard line.

Also,

Free Kick at Rest
ARTICLE 5. If a free kick comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to
secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the receiving team at the deadball
spot.

Huh.

Interesting. Did not know that!

So it IS relevant that he touched it then, in which case this rule does not apply.

Duvall
01-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Ohio State doing Ohio State things in the Sugar Bowl.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm digging the Mayhem sale. Rob Lowe, not so much.

Dukehky
01-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Boy this playoff thing has been AWESOME so far....

wavedukefan70s
01-01-2015, 10:15 PM
I'm digging the Mayhem sale. Rob Lowe, not so much.

You have to go to the website.i was in tears.

killerleft
01-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Not in any sense of the word, no.

But he will be. And the jury is still out on how many senses he can add to that. Unless redemption is just a nonsense word.

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Gutsy call on the double reverse fake pass play by tOSU. This game is turning out to be pretty good...

Duvall
01-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Ohio State doing Ohio State things in the Sugar Bowl.

Or maybe...not?

A-Tex Devil
01-01-2015, 11:12 PM
- TCU is one of the best 2 teams in the country, and frankly beats both of the teams playing right now imo by double digits. The committee had it right after Thanksgiving, but the narrative didn't work out for them on Championship sunday when no one lost (the odds of NONE of the top 6 losing were pretty slim). I don't fault the final 4, it's very defensible. But the committee chickened out, really, by not sticking to its guns and saying "Well, everyone won, no change."

- That's because as bad as they played today, you couldn't leave out Florida St. You just can't. Every other team LOST and that should be the single most important differentiator when comparing two teams. I am all for black and white rules in the playoff selection that (1) an undefeated POWER FIVE team can't get left out for a team with a loss, and (2) a 2 loss team can't get in over a 1 loss conference champion.

- Of course to make that work and to prevent everyone being Baylor, every team should have to play 2 power 5 non-con games if they have an 8 game conference schedule and 1 if they have a 9 game conference schedule. That way everyone has 10 P5 games.

- SEC West. SMH. Even if 'Bama wins today, I continue to be bemused by the circle %^&* that was ranking 4 SEC west teams so high early in the year. It was basically "Did you beat A&M? Yeah? Top 5 for you!" If Ohio St. somehow runs away with this in the second half we can all wonder if 'Bama was the team that should have been left out.

- If 'Bama loses (or even if they don't), can we finally kill the "conference pride" thing? It's dumb, and is a security blanket for teams that lose a bunch of in conference games to have something to crow about. When Bo Wallace shouted "We're SEC" yesterday, what does that even mean? You're Ole Miss!

Tom B.
01-02-2015, 12:12 AM
http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/01/watch-florida-states-jameis-winston-commit-an-all-time-gaffe-during-the-rose-bowl/

That's almost on par with the Mark Sanchez butt fumble.

Dukehky
01-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Why isn't Alabama doing Alabama things? Just freaking hand it off to Derek Henry.

Also if Bama ends up winning this game, their punter is the MVP

Wander
01-02-2015, 12:19 AM
If Alabama pulls this out, their punter deserves to be MVP.

FerryFor50
01-02-2015, 12:19 AM
Why isn't Alabama doing Alabama things? Just freaking hand it off to Derek Henry.

Also if Bama ends up winning this game, their punter is the MVP

Was thinking the same about the punter.

As for the offense... Lane Kiffin.

Dukehky
01-02-2015, 12:20 AM
I'm Urban here I throw a bomb

FerryFor50
01-02-2015, 12:24 AM
I'm Urban here I throw a bomb

Didn't need to. Elliott brought his own bomb. Alabama is getting Bama'd.

Wander
01-02-2015, 12:28 AM
Didn't need to. Elliott brought his own bomb. Alabama is getting Bama'd.

Bama is getting Meyer'ed.

How does Ohio State have THREE quarterbacks this good? They can certainly afford to give us one...

FerryFor50
01-02-2015, 12:44 AM
Talk about the best case scenario. FSU *and* Bama lose.

luvdahops
01-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Bama is getting Meyer'ed.

How does Ohio State have THREE quarterbacks this good? They can certainly afford to give us one...

3rd stringer making his second start directs a win over the top ranked Tide. Pretty amazing.

But to be honest, I thought Ohio State was better in every phase other than punting. Much of the credit certainly goes to Meyer, but it sure looked to me that the Buckeyes had AT LEAST AS MUCH speed, athleticism and overall talent as Bama.

Duvall
01-02-2015, 01:02 AM
And the SEC title drought will continue for another year.

MulletMan
01-02-2015, 01:04 AM
I want to write some cognizant thoughts about how today and the past week illustrates the folly of basing poll rankings off of thoughts about teams before a game is even played or how this pretty much illustrates that the ESPN narrative that the SEC west was the greatest college football conference in history was complete fallacy generated by the preseason ranking of South Carolina as the number 5 team in the nation (seriously... Texas A&M beats SC and then it's like, "oh you beat A&M? Top 5, bro!" Even though I could throw for 590 yards against the A&M defense).

But instead I will just say (with the caveat that I've been drinking) suck it SEC! All your big dogs lost (LSU to the Irish,Ole Miss to TCU, Mississippi St to Georgia Tech, Auburn to Wisconsin, and Bama to THE Ohio State University). SEC teams are very good... I get it, but they are not so far separated from the rest of college football that it is their manifest destiny to play for the national title simply because they play their home games south of The Mason Dixon. Bama just lost to OSU while we were starting our 3rd string QB. C'mon man!

Oh, and Baylor, and especially Art Briles, can suck it too. Go Sparty!

O-H!
I-O!

moonpie23
01-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Tide looked good :)

Did anyone buy something at the Mayhem.com?

Olympic Fan
01-02-2015, 01:12 AM
With just a handful of bowl games left, one power 5 conference has emerged as head-and-shoulders above the rest in postseason ... and one has fallen way short, while the others are close. By my count, the conference standings are:

1. The Pac 12 5-1
2. The Big Ten 5-4
3. The SEC 5-5
4. The ACC 4-6 (5-6 if you count Notre Dame)
5. Big 12 1-4

Two Big 12/SEC matchups Friday can change things: UCLA-Kansas State; Washington-Okahoma State. Also the ACC has one more chance with Pitt Houston. Also Iowa-Tennessee. Saturday, Florida takes on ECU. Ten, of course, there's the title game Jan. 12 (Oregon vs. Ohio State).

I was disappointed to see FSU flop so badly, but that was outweighed by my delight at seeing the mighty SEC West continue to come up short -- 2-4 in bowls with two blowout losses (the two Mississippi schools) and two wins by the division's two worst teams.

Wander
01-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Of note: in the first year of the 4 team playoff, the national champion will be a team that wouldn't have even been in the title game in the BCS system.

FerryFor50
01-02-2015, 01:16 AM
Tide looked good :)

Did anyone buy something at the Mayhem.com?

I tried to, but it was near impossible. Website crashes and the fact that they literally only had one of each item. I half suspect that it wasn't real at all.

A-Tex Devil
01-02-2015, 01:31 AM
With just a handful of bowl games left, one power 5 conference has emerged as head-and-shoulders above the rest in postseason ... and one has fallen way short, while the others are close. By my count, the conference standings are:

1. The Pac 12 5-1
2. The Big Ten 5-4
3. The SEC 5-5
4. The ACC 4-6 (5-6 if you count Notre Dame)
5. Big 12 1-4

Two Big 12/SEC matchups Friday can change things: UCLA-Kansas State; Washington-Okahoma State. Also the ACC has one more chance with Pitt Houston. Also Iowa-Tennessee. Saturday, Florida takes on ECU. Ten, of course, there's the title game Jan. 12 (Oregon vs. Ohio State).

I was disappointed to see FSU flop so badly, but that was outweighed by my delight at seeing the mighty SEC West continue to come up short -- 2-4 in bowls with two blowout losses (the two Mississippi schools) and two wins by the division's two worst teams.

Yeah... I don't put a *ton* of weight on judging conferences by the bowl game. I just like turning the tables on the SEC with their results the last 48 hours. I've noticed a lot of SEC fans moving the goal posts and taking my position on bowl games this year now that it is convenient.

Determining the best conference in college football is folly in my view. The sample size is just too small. Figure out the best team and be happy with it -- we are getting there.

MulletMan
01-02-2015, 01:40 AM
Yeah... I don't put a *ton* of weight on judging conferences by the bowl game. I just like turning the tables on the SEC with their results the last 48 hours. I've noticed a lot of SEC fans moving the goal posts and taking my position on bowl games this year now that it is convenient.

Determining the best conference in college football is folly in my view. The sample size is just too small. Figure out the best team and be happy with it -- we are getting there.

Yeah this. SEC homers are going to dismiss these results after hanging their hats on bowl results for the past decade. I agree the sample size is small, but it does show that the distance between the best SEC teams and the best of everyone else isn't as great as some would have you think.

Mike Corey
01-02-2015, 02:05 AM
Ohio State returns the majority of its contributors next season. The tide is turning away from the South. The only question is to where.

In the meantime: A little history.

OSU and Oregon squared off in the 2010 Rose Bowl. Ohio State won, 26-17.

The key to that game was pace. OSU possessed the ball for 41:37; Oregon for just 18:23.

Such will be the key once again.

arnie
01-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Yeah this. SEC homers are going to dismiss these results after hanging their hats on bowl results for the past decade. I agree the sample size is small, but it does show that the distance between the best SEC teams and the best of everyone else isn't as great as some would have you think.

But the sample size of SEC West games vs OOC Power 5 teams in regular season is even smaller. Thus the circular argument fallacy. If your "best teams" get thumped in the end, bragging right go out the window.

roywhite
01-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Internet explodes with memes poking fun at Jameis Winston (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/internet-explodes-with-memes-poking-fun-at-jameis-winston-022516502.html)

A guilty pleasure here for those who don't much like Jameis and crew.

Bob Green
01-02-2015, 08:40 AM

But Jameis Winston did, so let's give credit where credit is due.

devildeac
01-02-2015, 08:44 AM
I think Jameis finally got his bill from Publix for the crab legs. Rumor has it the total was $59.20. Tax included. May have even included close to a half dozen of these free for just desserts:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Ohio State returns the majority of its contributors next season. The tide is turning away from the South. The only question is to where.

In the meantime: A little history.

OSU and Oregon squared off in the 2010 Rose Bowl. Ohio State won, 26-17.

The key to that game was pace. OSU possessed the ball for 41:37; Oregon for just 18:23.

Such will be the key once again.

Except that Oregon plays SO quickly (noted over and over again by the crew last night) that TOP might not be as telling a stat as you would think. When they score so many touchdowns in about a minute and a half, there's not much chance of them manhandling the clock.

FSU won the TOP battle 32:30 to 27:30 yesterday and it didn't seem to do them any good.

I'd say keep an eye on the number of snaps Oregon takes - more of a factor than clock usage.

camion
01-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Except that Oregon plays SO quickly (noted over and over again by the crew last night) that TOP might not be as telling a stat as you would think. When they score so many touchdowns in about a minute and a half, there's not much chance of them manhandling the clock.

FSU won the TOP battle 32:30 to 27:30 yesterday and it didn't seem to do them any good.

I'd say keep an eye on the number of snaps Oregon takes - more of a factor than clock usage.

Good point. Maybe we should come up with a new statistic like percentage of snaps. Or is the POS acronym already taken?

In any event if team A runs 80 plays in 27:30 and Team B runs 60 plays in 32:30 which defense is going to be sucking wind more?

dudog84
01-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Good point. Maybe we should come up with a new statistic like percentage of snaps. Or is the POS acronym already taken?

In any event if team A runs 80 plays in 27:30 and Team B runs 60 plays in 32:30 which defense is going to be sucking wind more?

I know what I think POS stands for. Could be dangerous to use in a game in which Jameis Winston is playing. Or, unfortunately, other football players at major programs.

We have a great columnist down here (in Florida where we've had lots of experience over the years) who avers that you don't win in major college football without a certain criminal element on your team. Usually at linebacker. He's a hoot. If you want to read some good sports-writing from a smallish-town journalist you've probably never heard of, look up Ken Willis.

sagegrouse
01-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Yesterday's thoughts today:

Having finally digested yesterdays Hoppin' John, I can reflect on what I saw:

Alabama's Blake Sims played no better than Anthony Boone, who was roundly criticized here for his Sun Bowl performance. In fact, Sims had a 25.8 rating vs. Boone's 53.9.

Sims' throwing stats were lousy, but doesn't the QB also get the lion's share of the blame if a #1 team converts almost no third downs plays?

Urban Meyer walks on water! I gave OSU no chance whatsoever, especially when Alabama stretched its lead to 21-6. And winning convincingly with a third-stringer in at quarterback? Ohio State evolved from a team that lost to Virginia Tech to a much better one that massacred Wisconsin (who then beat Auburn) and then convincingly beat Bama to play for the national championship.

The Oregon-FSU game was an interesting match-up and could have been a close game. Instead, FSU dropped a pile of caca on the front lawn of the College Football Playoff with five turnovers in six possessions in the second half. Doubtless my memory is imperfect [gasp!], but I can't remember a Super Bowl or a college national championship match-up where such incompetence was on display. Get used to it, Jimbo! Every single opponent next year is gonna tackle the ball.

And, gee, who'd a thunk it? It's not only the seven teams in the SEC West that can play college football.

Happy New Year, everyone! -- Sage

OldPhiKap
01-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Yesterday's thoughts today:

Having finally digested yesterdays Hoppin' John, I can reflect on what I saw:

Alabama's Blake Sims played no better than Anthony Boone, who was roundly criticized here for his Sun Bowl performance. In fact, Sims had a 25.8 rating vs. Boone's 53.9.

Sims' throwing stats were lousy, but doesn't the QB also get the lion's share of the blame if a #1 team converts almost no third downs plays?

Urban Meyer walks on water! I gave OSU no chance whatsoever, especially when Alabama stretched its lead to 21-6. And winning convincingly with a third-stringer in at quarterback? Ohio State evolved from a team that lost to Virginia Tech to a much better one that massacred Wisconsin (who then beat Auburn) and then convincingly beat Bama to play for the national championship.

The Oregon-FSU game was an interesting match-up and could have been a close game. Instead, FSU dropped a pile of caca on the front lawn of the College Football Playoff with five turnovers in six possessions in the second half. Doubtless my memory is imperfect [gasp!], but I can't remember a Super Bowl or a college national championship match-up where such incompetence was on display. Get used to it, Jimbo! Every single opponent next year is gonna tackle the ball.

And, gee, who'd a thunk it? It's not only the seven teams in the SEC West that can play college football.

Happy New Year, everyone! -- Sage

I do find it interesting that, under the old BCS system, the National Championship game would not have included either tOSU or Oregon.

Play the games on the field, not in the press box (or on a computer algorithm)

FerryFor50
01-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Jameis Winston thinks FSU "beat ourself"

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/1/1/7479551/jameis-winston-after-39-point-blowout-we-beat-ourself

I guess Oregon had nothing to do with that beat down

Mike Corey
01-02-2015, 10:33 AM

Great point. No disagreement on that.

These are two staffs that really like and respect one another.

Hopefully it's fun to watch.

This will be the third consecutive Heisman finalist the Bucks will have faced. The first two--Gordon and Cooper--didn't light it up. Containing the winner will be decidedly tougher.

devildeac
01-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Jameis Winston thinks FSU "beat ourself"

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/1/1/7479551/jameis-winston-after-39-point-blowout-we-beat-ourself

I guess Oregon had nothing to do with that beat down

Wonder if he meant BBeat ourself?:rolleyes:

killerleft
01-02-2015, 10:51 AM

I've always found that the final score is the only REAL constant when figuring out the winner.

devildeac
01-02-2015, 12:23 PM
I've always found that the final score is the only REAL constant when figuring out the winner.

You and roywhite are so fixated on outscoring y/our opponents.;):rolleyes:

luvdahops
01-02-2015, 12:52 PM

And maybe, just maybe, the DBR will abandon its narrative that the Big 10 is in some sort of inexorable, permanent decline. Meyer and Dantonio are proven winners with well-established programs, and the competitive ante will only rise with Harbaugh in Ann Arbor and James Franklin at PSU. Wisconsin arguably has a lower ceiling than any of those programs, but has established itself as a perennial Top 25 team at a minimum. Nebraska is the big wild card. I doubt they will ever return to their Osborne era heights, but there is still the foundation there to be a perennial Top 25 team that is periodically in the playoff hunt.

And did anyone mention that RBs from the supposedly speed and athleticism challenged Big 10 ran wild yesterday?

jv001
01-02-2015, 12:57 PM
You and roywhite are so fixated on outscoring y/our opponents.;):rolleyes:

Count me in on high scoring games, devildeac. Now if Duke is playing, I want Duke's defense to dominate and Duke to score on every possession. I loved The Ohio State vs. Alabama game last night. That game kept my interest even though Duke wasn't playing. GoDuke!

A-Tex Devil
01-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Next year's non-NY6 bowl selections will be interesting. The SEC (and the ACC to an extent as well) held its picks until the other conferences slotted their teams, then released their bowl selections hours later. I think there was a lot of irritation at that. You can say "matchups-smatchups," but pitting Arkansas against UT, A&M against WVU and LSU against ND was very shrewd (considering those 3 teams were pretty much interchangeable as to which of those 3 bowls they would go to). The ND game backfired, but in retrospect, you see that the LSU DC had one foot out the door on not so congenial terms plus no one accounted for Malik Zaire.

Texas beat teams with bad defenses and lost to teams with good defenses this year. So put them against Arkansas, because they know Arkansas, whose defense is outstanding and offense is perhaps the weakest non-Vandy offense in the SEC, won't have to score a lot of points to win. WVU can score, but can't stop anyone. A perfect matchup for A&M. LSU was a great matchup against ND considering ND's propensity to turn the ball over, but things changed between selection Sunday and the bowl game that went in ND's favor.

In any event, I'm not sure why the SEC gets to roll like that when the other conferences don't. Hopefully they'll just set a deadline next year and not announce anything until every conference has its selections in. We shall see.

tux
01-02-2015, 01:30 PM
There's a lot of love for the new playoff today (link (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls14/story/_/id/12111307/oregon-ducks-ohio-state-buckeyes-prove-college-football-playoff-success)). The author's right, we would have probably gotten an Ala-FSU title game under the old BCS rules. Of course, the topic quickly turns to expanding even further, to 6 or 8 teams. I've argued before that the sweet spot would be 16, but I now think 8 would be perfectly fine.

I think a great system would be to have the 5 power-conference champions get automatic bids. That assumes the Big 12 gets a title game by expanding or via a rule change. Then have the committee pick 3 at-large teams and also do the seeding. One at-large could be the highest ranked non-power 5 team, and the other two at-large teams could be up to the discretion of the committee (two best teams left).

The benefit, IMO, would be to make the conference championship games have even more meaning as play-in games to the CFS playoff. It also takes some of the pressure off the committee and removes some of the arbitrary nature of having 12 folks pick the entire field. Any "great" team that happens to lose their conference championship may still get a chance at redemption via an at-large birth. And, of course, the seeding can reflect the committee's views of the 8 resumes and create the most compelling match ups.

I'd shorten the regular season by one game to make room for the extra playoff round as well.

The one thing I'd have to think more about is the way an 8 team model would shrink the bowls available for the other teams not in the playoff. That would be 7 "bowls" required for hosting the complete playoff bracket of 8 teams, compared to 3 for 4 teams. My guess is that most fans could care less about 4 mediocre teams getting left out for an expanded playoff.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-02-2015, 01:38 PM

True enough. Time of possession, number of snaps, domination on the line, etc are all well and good, but I find that if you want to really dial in which team wins, look at the comparative rate of scoring over 60 minutes. The team that scores more points per 60 minutes, usually seems to come out on top.

-bdbd
01-02-2015, 01:42 PM
There's a lot of love for the new playoff today (link (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls14/story/_/id/12111307/oregon-ducks-ohio-state-buckeyes-prove-college-football-playoff-success)). The author's right, we would have probably gotten an Ala-FSU title game under the old BCS rules. Of course, the topic quickly turns to expanding even further, to 6 or 8 teams. I've argued before that the sweet spot would be 16, but I now think 8 would be perfectly fine.

I think a great system would be to have the 5 power-conference champions get automatic bids. That assumes the Big 12 gets a title game by expanding or via a rule change. Then have the committee pick 3 at-large teams and also do the seeding. One at-large could be the highest ranked non-power 5 team, and the other two at-large teams could be up to the discretion of the committee (two best teams left).

The benefit, IMO, would be to make the conference championship games have even more meaning as play-in games to the CFS playoff. It also takes some of the pressure off the committee and removes some of the arbitrary nature of having 12 folks pick the entire field. Any "great" team that happens to lose their conference championship may still get a chance at redemption via an at-large birth. And, of course, the seeding can reflect the committee's views of the 8 resumes and create the most compelling match ups.

I'd shorten the regular season by one game to make room for the extra playoff round as well.

The one thing I'd have to think more about is the way an 8 team model would shrink the bowls available for the other teams not in the playoff. That would be 7 "bowls" required for hosting the complete playoff bracket of 8 teams, compared to 3 for 4 teams. My guess is that most fans could care less about 4 mediocre teams getting left out for an expanded playoff.

I can't imagine that happening, simply b/c you'd be forcing 110 schools to give up a (revenue-generating) 12th game, just so the 8 top teams could more easily accommodate an extra playoff round. They'll find a way to shoehorn in a third playoff round w/o making everyone else give up a game (and more to the point, w/o giving up any revenue). Even if the first round has to be before Christmas, or certainly could be before New Years Day.

tux
01-02-2015, 01:52 PM
I can't imagine that happening, simply b/c you'd be forcing 110 schools to give up a (revenue-generating) 12th game, just so the 8 top teams could more easily accommodate an extra playoff round. They'll find a way to shoehorn in a third playoff round w/o making everyone else give up a game (and more to the point, w/o giving up any revenue). Even if the first round has to be before Christmas, or certainly could be before New Years Day.

You're probably right.

Although I find myself wholly uninspired by the 3-4 cupcake games that get played by almost every team each season. I wonder how the numbers would come out, though, when you factor in the additional revenue for the expanded playoff compared to the lost revenue from a 12th home game. I'm sure you're right, but with some playoff revenue sharing, it *could* be closer than you think. A lot of TV money generated by an 8-team playoff, don't you think?

(I say the above not knowing anything about how money is distributed under the current system --- just wildly thinking out loud. That's allowed here, right?)

Wander
01-02-2015, 02:24 PM

Did you hear Ohio State players talk about how happy they were to win the Sugar Bowl as an institution last night, or was it more about winning it as a semifinal? And this is supposed to be one of the big bowls.

Bowls are stupid. If we expand to 8 or 16 teams, which would be fantastic, I'd like to see the top seeds get an advantage by getting to host the first and second round games. Which would also "make the regular season meaningful" in a much more meaningful way than the BCS ever did. The average game for Alabama or Ohio State or Texas is a much better atmosphere than the Orange Bowl anyway. (yes, I know this has no realistic chance of happening)

luvdahops
01-02-2015, 02:25 PM

Best proposal I've heard is to play the quarterfinals on the campuses of the higher seeded teams on the Saturday before Christmas. Winners then go to the semis, losers to spots in the other New Year's 6 bowls.

tux
01-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Did you hear Ohio State players talk about how happy they were to win the Sugar Bowl as an institution last night, or was it more about winning it as a semifinal? And this is supposed to be one of the big bowls.

Bowls are stupid. If we expand to 8 or 16 teams, which would be fantastic, I'd like to see the top seeds get an advantage by getting to host the first and second round games. The average game for Alabama or Ohio State or Texas is a much better atmosphere than the Orange Bowl anyway. (yes, I know this has no realistic chance of happening)

I almost added that to my original post --- first round games hosted by the higher seed, but also felt it was unrealistic... In general, as you expand the playoff, you dilute interest in any of the non-playoff bowl games. Of course, many would argue that there's little interest in those games to begin with. The system in place this year (4 teams, semifinals at established bowl games) works but, you're right, you'd have a problem trying to both expand the field and also play all the games at existing "bowl" venues.

If you cut one regular season game out (also unlikely but bear with me), you could play the first round playoff games in early December (at higher seed's home stadium) and then keep the system as it currently exists. I.e., semifinals on New Year's Day, and the 4 losing teams from the first round would be eligible for late December bowls. That seems crazy as I read it, but in many ways would be a great system as the best teams would play in more than one December game and the traditional "bowls" would still get marquee match-ups. And alumni from the 4 losing first round schools would still get their mini-vacation to a bowl destination...

That would also move the conference championship games to late Nov., which would (in most years) avoid having regular season games scheduled over Thanksgiving break when students are away from campus.

SoCalDukeFan
01-02-2015, 02:52 PM
is injuries.

Ohio State and Oregon will play 15 games this year. While you can have significant injuries at any time, playing 15 games really increases the chances. The last Ohio State TD was scored when Alabama had its starting linebackers on the bench. Going to an 8 team playoff takes you to 16 games.

There 8 team system has great appeal. 5 Champs, 1 non power conf, and 2 selected. Would be great.

The current system is a MASSIVE improvement over the BCS. SEC figured out how to game the BCS and then they dominated with their 8 game conference schedules and no true non conference away games.

If you can't get the 8 team playoff, I would love to see teams limited to 6 home games during the season. Would reduce or eliminate the need for Alabama - Western Carolina type mismatches that dominate the SEC.

SoCal

uh_no
01-02-2015, 03:09 PM
is injuries.

Ohio State and Oregon will play 15 games this year. While you can have significant injuries at any time, playing 15 games really increases the chances. The last Ohio State TD was scored when Alabama had its starting linebackers on the bench. Going to an 8 team playoff takes you to 16 games.

doesn't D2 or FCS have a 32 team playoff?

A-Tex Devil
01-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Houston just Buffalo Billed the Pitt Panthers in the 4th quarter. Best bowl game comeback I've ever seen.

YmoBeThere
01-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Houston just Buffalo Billed the Pitt Panthers in the 4th quarter. Best bowl game comeback I've ever seen.

29 points in one quarter.

Did Pitt lose their head coach to Wisconsin?

tux
01-02-2015, 03:37 PM
29 points in one quarter.

Did Pitt lose their head coach to Wisconsin?

And did he leave for Madison at the end of the 3rd quarter?

lotusland
01-02-2015, 03:39 PM
I know what I think POS stands for. Could be dangerous to use in a game in which Jameis Winston is playing. Or, unfortunately, other football players at major programs.

We have a great columnist down here (in Florida where we've had lots of experience over the years) who avers that you don't win in major college football without a certain criminal element on your team. Usually at linebacker. He's a hoot. If you want to read some good sports-writing from a smallish-town journalist you've probably never heard of, look up Ken Willis.

Point of Sale? What would that have to do with Jameis? Maybe Point of Shoplifting.

devildeac
01-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Point of Sale? What would that have to do with Jameis? Maybe Point of Shoplifting.

Lotsa things POS could stand for (nice, professional):

http://www.acronymfinder.com/POS.html

Others, not so much so:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pos

Henderson
01-02-2015, 03:47 PM

Stay classy, Noles.

Very classy on their part. I suppose they are trying to fill the void left by Maryland's departure from the ACC.

Wasn't exactly a difficult narrative to push.

Ducks chanting "No means no" after the game. Discipline to follow. Video and story (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls14/story/_/id/12110366/rose-bowl-oregon-ducks-players-face-discipline-no-means-no-chant). More video (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/01/oregon_players_taunt_jameis_wi.html).

I don't know why anyone would think it was directed at Winston. He's never been convicted of any sexual assault crime. Just ask him. Or Jimbo. Or his lawyer. Just a social commentary. Who can be disciplined for chanting "No means no"? That's like punishing folks for chanting "Freedom", isn't it?

lotusland
01-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Speaking of revenue generation, can someone explain how the Quick Lane bowl in Detroit with Carolina and Rutgers made money? The crowd at that game could have fit in a high school stadium.

SoCalDukeFan
01-02-2015, 03:52 PM
doesn't D2 or FCS have a 32 team playoff?

I checked onr Div II school and it only played 11 games prior to the playoffs, whereas Div 1 conf champs play 13.

I doubt if all of the FBS schools want to drop 2, or even 1, game from their schedule to accomodate.

SoCal

Henderson
01-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Speaking of revenue generation, can someone explain how the Quick Lane bowl in Detroit with Carolina and Rutgers made money? The crowd at that game could have fit in a high school stadium.

People will watch anything on TV on 12/26.

Weird though that so few people wanted to fly to Detroit for Christmas.

dudog84
01-02-2015, 04:19 PM

You're right, of course. Lotsa definitions. Bless my profane little heart, my first thought was as defined by the urban dictionary (thanks devildeac!). Though I doubt anyone has ever thought of me as urban. Or urbane.

Henderson
01-02-2015, 04:33 PM
I don't know why people keep picking on Jameis Winston. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2316731-internet-memes-put-humorous-spin-on-jameis-winstons-horrific-rose-bowl-fumble?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t4. He seems like such a nice young man.

FerryFor50
01-02-2015, 04:51 PM
I don't know why people keep picking on Jameis Winston. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2316731-internet-memes-put-humorous-spin-on-jameis-winstons-horrific-rose-bowl-fumble?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t4. He seems like such a nice young man.

Maybe this?

Tom B.
01-02-2015, 05:11 PM

Earlier I said that Winston's gaffe reminded me of the Mark Sanchez butt fumble, but upon further reflection, I think it's more like the J.P. Tokoto faceplant (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_trmTcEhPOg). Sanchez at least ran into something, while both Winston and Tokoto managed to fall over and lose the ball without the assistance of any outside agency whatsoever.

Plus, I'm a sucker for anything that gives me an excuse to re-post the Tokoto faceplant video. Still cracks me up.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Ducks chanting "No means no" after the game. Discipline to follow. Video and story (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls14/story/_/id/12110366/rose-bowl-oregon-ducks-players-face-discipline-no-means-no-chant). More video (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/01/oregon_players_taunt_jameis_wi.html).

I don't know why anyone would think it was directed at Winston. He's never been convicted of any sexual assault crime. Just ask him. Or Jimbo. Or his lawyer. Just a social commentary. Who can be disciplined for chanting "No means no"? That's like punishing folks for chanting "Freedom", isn't it?

"No means no" is what fellow philosophy majors would call a tautology.

Ironic that Oregon may likely end up with greater discipline against the chant than Jameis has had levvied for all his transgressions.

Says something about the standards of the programs I suppose.

jv001
01-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Earlier I said that Winston's gaffe reminded me of the Mark Sanchez butt fumble, but upon further reflection, I think it's more like the J.P. Tokoto faceplant (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_trmTcEhPOg). Sanchez at least ran into something, while both Winston and Tokoto managed to fall over and lose the ball without the assistance of any outside agency whatsoever.

Plus, I'm a sucker for anything that gives me an excuse to re-post the Tokoto faceplant video. Still cracks me up.

I don't show much joy when someone get's dunked on. Not even uncheaters. I still remember the Greg Paulus video. GoDuke!