PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Forum Participation #4: College Basketball Venues

blazindw
12-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Hey all,

So, now that all of you have had a chance to listen to episode 3 of the DBR Podcast, we will now start with the question of the week:

Which college basketball venue(s) outside of Cameron would you most like to visit, and why?

Best answers will get a shout out on the next podcast. Fire away!

OldPhiKap
12-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Hey all,

So, now that all of you have had a chance to listen to episode 3 of the DBR Podcast, we will now start with the question of the week:

Which college basketball venue(s) outside of Cameron would you most like to visit, and why?

Best answers will get a shout out on the next podcast. Fire away!

The renovated Littlejohn at Clemson is great. Excellent venue, beautiful campus, intense atmosphere. Very steep stands give it a thunderdome pit atmosphere. Really recommend it, and the fans are cool.

Dean Dome sucks. Anyone who saw a game in Carmichael would obviously agree.

Would love to see a game at Phog Allen Fieldhouse, probably the closest analogue to Cameron. Great program, passionate fans, old and historic venue.

Great job with the podcasts, really enjoying.

I am hoping to say that the best venue of the year to see a Duke game is the Sun Bowl, frankly. Rip 'em up, tear 'em up, GIVE'M HELL DUKE!!!!

subzero02
12-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Phog Allen Field House... It seems like a passionate and energetic venue and fanbase. I also already know the words to their most famous cheer.

Bluegrassdevil1
12-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Simply for the unique nature of the experience, I would love to see John Brown University's Toilet Paper Game at Bill George Arena.

The tradition is quite silly, and I suppose the technical foul is potentially damaging to the squad, but videos of the event seem so genuinely gleeful, that I want to see it with my own eyes before my time is done.

hurleyfor3
12-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Allen is the real deal, although it would be nice if the band learned a fourth song.

77devil
12-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Simply for the unique nature of the experience, I would love to see John Brown University's Toilet Paper Game at Bill George Arena.

The tradition is quite silly, and I suppose the technical foul is potentially damaging to the squad, but videos of the event seem so genuinely gleeful, that I want to see it with my own eyes before my time is done.

In the heyday of Philadelphia's Big 5, and long before JBU, students from the opposing schools often threw rolls of tp at each other in the Palestra. Think of Cameron Indoor filled equally by Duke and UNC fans facing and yelling at each other all game. It could be painfully loud.

The Palestra is a classic venue designed by the same firm that later designed Duke Indoor I believe. Unfortunately, the intensity of the crowd and quality of basketball is not what it once was. But it is certainly worth a visit to experience one of the great historical landmarks of college basketball.

Some mark the successful recruitment of Gene Banks from West Philly High by Duke as the beginning of the decline of the Big 5. While other great area players had matriculated elsewhere in previous years, Gene was considered one of the best ever, and the effort to keep him in Philly was intense. After Gene, the flow of talent out of Philly accelerated rapidly.

OldPhiKap
12-23-2014, 08:54 AM
In the heyday of Philadelphia's Big 5, and long before JBU, students from the opposing schools often threw rolls of tp at each other in the Palestra. Think of Cameron Indoor filled equally by Duke and UNC fans facing and yelling at each other all game. It could be painfully loud.

The Palestra is a classic venue designed by the same firm that later designed Duke Indoor I believe. Unfortunately, the intensity of the crowd and quality of basketball is not what it once was. But it is certainly worth a visit to experience one of the great historical landmarks of college basketball.

Some mark the successful recruitment of Gene Banks from West Philly High by Duke as the beginning of the decline of the Big 5. While other great area players had matriculated elsewhere in previous years, Gene was considered one of the best ever, and the effort to keep him in Philly was intense. After Gene, the flow of talent out of Philly accelerated rapidly.

Cameron was modeled after the Palestra but was designed to be bigger. Not sure if it was the same design company.

gurufrisbee
12-23-2014, 10:14 AM
The Kennel - where Gonzaga plays - is a fun hoops environment that I had been to. MSG has such history that being a life long West Coaster that has appeal. If we can also pick the outcome, I would love to be in the Dean Dome after Duke stomped them.

Henderson
12-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Cameron was modeled after the Palestra but was designed to be bigger. Not sure if it was the same design company.

Same firm; different architects. Not sure about the bigger part.

And I'll second that vote for the Palestra. It looks a LOT like CIS and has seen more college basketball (and more NCAA tournaments) than any other existing arena. The history of it and connection to Duke make it #1 for me.

Mal
12-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Definitely Phog Allen. I'd throw in Assembly Hall, too.

A couple others people probably won't mention on their wish lists, but might consider, are Hinkle Fieldhouse (Butler) and Williams Arena (Minnesota). Both are great venues with a real sense of history. The first speaks for itself if you've seen Hoosiers. Williams is nicknamed the Barn, and on a bitter winter night it feels sort of like a warm, enveloping refuge from the cold. If the home team is decent, it can get pretty loud in there, and the raised floor, intimacy and ambiance make it feel like a blast from the past. I'm biased because that's where I grew up learning to love hoops, I suppose.

Billy Dat
12-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Phog Allen Field House... It seems like a passionate and energetic venue and fanbase. I also already know the words to their most famous cheer.

I have a work-friend with season tickets and I need to find a way to get out there for a game.

Along the same lines, I'd love to attend Taylor University's annual "Silent Night" game where the crowd remains silent until the home team scores its 10th point at which point the crowd goes berserk and then sings "Silent Night"
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-12-06/taylor-university-silent-night-tradition-at-basketball-game-court-storming

A couple others people probably won't mention on their wish lists, but might consider, are Hinkle Fieldhouse (Butler)

While I have not seen a game at either venue, I have made the pilgrimage to both the Palestra and Hinkle Fieldhouse and can report that both are spectacular old gyms. I plan to try and get to both for a game at some point. I did scream "Hickory" at the top of my lungs inside Hinkle which resulted in a mega collective eyeroll from everyone inside (volleyball team, etc.) because it probably happens all the time.

Other spots:
-I'd love to see "The Show" student section at San Diego State's Viejas Arena as they are supposed to be a west coast Cameron Crazies.
-I'd like to go to the McKale Center at University of Arizona as it is a brutal home court at which to try and win
-More locally, I'd like to see a game at Fordham's Rose Hill Gym as it is the oldest arena in use by a D1 team. I did see Ziggy Marley perform a concert there in 1988.
-I'd like to see a game at the Lahaina Civic Center because that means (A) I'd have made it to Hawaii and (B) I'd be watching the Duke Blue Devils play in the Maui Invitational
-I'd like to see a game in Rupp Arena if and only if it was Duke beating Kentucky, or Kentucky losing.
-As for venues gone by, I would have liked to have seen a game in Freedom Hall, Carmichael Auditorium and Cole Field House but, again, only if Duke was prevailing and, in the case of Cole, I could be assured that I would not be assaulted. I guess that's too much to ask for.

DukeDevil
12-23-2014, 01:08 PM
I'd like to sneak a BB gun into Lawrence Joel to see if I can take out the krispy kreme blimp.

Bluegrassdevil1
12-23-2014, 02:14 PM
-I'd like to see a game in Rupp Arena if and only if it was Duke beating Kentucky, or Kentucky losing.
-As for venues gone by, I would have liked to have seen a game in Freedom Hall, Carmichael Auditorium and Cole Field House but, again, only if Duke was prevailing and, in the case of Cole, I could be assured that I would not be assaulted. I guess that's too much to ask for.

Though the history and traditions of UK make the association with Rupp Arena indisputable, I continue to be amazed that a program as prestigious as UK still plays its games in what might be the worst arena in America.

1. Rupp is visually unappealing, both internally and externally.

2. A fair amount of the arena's sight-lines are deplorable.

3. There is virtually no modern technology within the arena (the center court scoreboard especially).

4. And despite the program having the most rabidly devoted fans in the country, UK still plays in a tomb, while its much smaller rival, U of L, plays in an absolute palace.

Freedom Hall had its charms and quirks, but in the great scheme of things, places like Phog Allen, Hinkle, and the Palestra, are far more exciting and interesting to visit than the home of tractor pulls and prancing horses.

luburch
12-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Definitely Phog Allen. I'd throw in Assembly Hall, too.

A couple others people probably won't mention on their wish lists, but might consider, are Hinkle Fieldhouse (Butler) and Williams Arena (Minnesota). Both are great venues with a real sense of history. The first speaks for itself if you've seen Hoosiers. Williams is nicknamed the Barn, and on a bitter winter night it feels sort of like a warm, enveloping refuge from the cold. If the home team is decent, it can get pretty loud in there, and the raised floor, intimacy and ambiance make it feel like a blast from the past. I'm biased because that's where I grew up learning to love hoops, I suppose.

Assembly Hall is absolutely defeaning at times. The game against Kentucky in 2011, and Michigan in 2013 were ridiculous. It's about to get a face lift with some rennovations coming to the entrance.

I've only been in Hinkle once, but it has a pretty historic feel to it as well.

I was at Rupp in 2008 and I remember not being impressed with it at all. Not sure I would bother going back. The Yum! Center is not worth the trip either. No real atmopshere to it.

DukeDevil
12-23-2014, 03:16 PM
I'd like to sneak a BB gun into Lawrence Joel to see if I can take out the krispy kreme blimp.

Alternatively, I'll take Lucas Oil stadium for the 2015 national championship assuming I get to see the same kind of outcome I saw in 2010.

fidel
12-23-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm going with Rucker Park. Seems like 'THE' place to play.

OldPhiKap
12-24-2014, 02:07 PM
https://twitter.com/stadiumpix/status/547577399379230720

The Palestra, opening night (1927)

blazindw
12-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Here's my top 5 list of college basketball venues I haven't visited yet that I would love to:

-Allen Fieldhouse. Probably has been number 1 on my list for years. I'd love to do that next time I'm in Kansas.
-The Palestra. So much history there and just seems like a ridiculously fun place to watch a game.
-The Pit. When I was doing a lot of business out in Albuquerque about 5 years ago, my first move was always to check the UNM schedule. They were never in town. I need to get to a game there.
-Pauley Pavilion. Seems like a really nice gym and I got all the respect in the world for John Wooden. Need to get out there when there is a UCLA home game.
-Carrier Dome. Call me crazy, but the biggest on-campus stadium in the NCAA (sure it's also the football stadium, but still). Always is pretty loud and I'm sure there are some really quirky sightlines. Plus, Dinosaur BBQ.

Dev11
12-25-2014, 06:35 PM
The Pit. When I was doing a lot of business out in Albuquerque about 5 years ago, my first move was always to check the UNM schedule. They were never in town. I need to get to a game there.

I want to second this. I have heard and read great things about the Pit. That and Utah State are the two mountain time zone locations I want to get to (Boulder is good for many things other than college basketball).

nmduke2001
12-25-2014, 10:35 PM
I want to second this. I have heard and read great things about the Pit. That and Utah State are the two mountain time zone locations I want to get to (Boulder is good for many things other than college basketball).

I've probably seen 50 games in The Pit. In 1997ish, UNM was top ten and Utah was top five (that's the Van Horn team). I can honestly say it's the loudest event I have ever attended. Completely different atmosphere than Cameron, but if you catch a good game at The Pit it's pretty special.

On a side note, UNM just sold the naming rights to a local pizza joint. The Pit is now officially, "WisePies Arena aka The Pit." Needless to say locals were not happy. Also it only cost $5 million over ten years.

OldPhiKap
12-25-2014, 10:41 PM
I am happy to give an on-site report from El Paso, although since I don't have a press pass I will have to make up the interviews. But rest assured, my fictional interviews are exclusive to DBR.

brevity
12-26-2014, 01:41 AM
I am happy to give an on-site report from El Paso, although since I don't have a press pass I will have to make up the interviews. But rest assured, my fictional interviews are exclusive to DBR.

Cool. I totally want to hear what Herb Sendek hypothetically has to say about Eric Boateng, James Harden, and not having to deal with UNC anymore.

Edouble
12-26-2014, 02:40 AM
Here's my top 5 list of college basketball venues I haven't visited yet that I would love to:

-Allen Fieldhouse. Probably has been number 1 on my list for years. I'd love to do that next time I'm in Kansas.
-The Palestra. So much history there and just seems like a ridiculously fun place to watch a game.
-The Pit. When I was doing a lot of business out in Albuquerque about 5 years ago, my first move was always to check the UNM schedule. They were never in town. I need to get to a game there.
-Pauley Pavilion. Seems like a really nice gym and I got all the respect in the world for John Wooden. Need to get out there when there is a UCLA home game.
-Carrier Dome. Call me crazy, but the biggest on-campus stadium in the NCAA (sure it's also the football stadium, but still). Always is pretty loud and I'm sure there are some really quirky sightlines. Plus, Dinosaur BBQ.

Glad someone answered the question. Seems like a lot of people are just listing where they've been, which is fun, but not the Podcast question.

This list is close to mine. Believe it or not, I'm skipping Phog. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from how anti-Duke everyone in the Kansas 30 for 30 was. It really turned me off from wanting to visit the KU stadium.

I'd love to see The Palestra, MSG (although I hear it's a dump, it's still the Mecca), Pauley Pavilion (the renovations looked amazing, at least before the flood), The Carrier Dome, and (here's my darkhorse) Gallagher-Iba Arena. I've heard great things about the Cowboys home court.

weezie
12-26-2014, 10:46 AM
MSG (although I hear it's a dump, it's still the Mecca)...

MSG ain't a dump anymore. It's been through a recent reno that made it far more comfy/posh and the beers/food are far superior to any place else I've ever been. Good sight lines, great city access. But yes, indeed, it still has that aura to it.

Does anyone know if Marquette plays in a cool place? Just out of respect for the late Al McGuire I might go there.

captmojo
12-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Never been, but John Paul Jones looks like a good, opened-up view of the entire place.
As I mentioned elsewhere, is it just me, or does it seem too ironic that Louisville plays in a place sponsored by the parent corporation of KFC?
Does Kentucky Fried Cardinal sound a possibility?

Duvall
12-26-2014, 11:18 AM
As I mentioned elsewhere, is it just me, or does it seem too ironic that Louisville plays in a place sponsored by the parent corporation of KFC?
Does Kentucky Fried Cardinal sound a possibility?

Tomorrow's headlines today?

tbyers11
12-26-2014, 01:52 PM
MSG ain't a dump anymore. It's been through a recent reno that made it far more comfy/posh and the beers/food are far superior to any place else I've ever been. Good sight lines, great city access. But yes, indeed, it still has that aura to it.

Does anyone know if Marquette plays in a cool place? Just out of respect for the late Al McGuire I might go there.

Marquette plays in the BMO Harris Bradley Center. It shares the arena with the Milwaukee Bucks. It was built in the late 80s and was pretty cool then when I went to Bucks games in middle school and high school. However, it is very out-of-date as far as NBA arenas go. It is not an awful place to watch game but is not a real great place either. In fact, because of the lack of bells and whistles if the Bucks new owners and Milwaukee can't figure out how to get a new stadium there within in a couple of years the Bucks could move elsewhere.

Still I'd go if you get a chance. Wojo is going to need all the support he can get this year ;)

blazindw
12-26-2014, 03:55 PM
(here's my darkhorse) Gallagher-Iba Arena. I've heard great things about the Cowboys home court.

I have too. It's probably in my top 10 along with most "Best College Basketball Venues" lists as well.

OldPhiKap
12-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Cool. I totally want to hear what Herb Sendek hypothetically has to say about Eric Boateng, James Harden, and not having to deal with UNC anymore.

Sorry to say, I fell asleep. Herb is not getting more exciting with age. He did say something about glad he does not have to deal with Tar Heel Blowhardery