PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #3 is live! (And we again have a cool, special guest)

JasonEvans
12-22-2014, 10:32 AM
We know you have been dying for it... either that or you had not noticed it was a few hours late this week... but the third edition of the DBR podcast is live on Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-12-20) for your listening pleasure.

This week, in addition to the usual crew (me, BlazinDW, and Dev11) we have a special guest -- Laura Keeley, the N&O beat reporter for Duke. No one in the journalism world is closer to Duke right now than Laura. She lives and breathes Duke athletics every day! Some of her answers are really enlightening and revealing.

If you want to skip around a bit, here is a log of the contents of the Podcast:

0:00 Welcome from Jason Evans and Donald Wine
0:50 Sam Klein interviews N&O Duke beat reporter Laura Keeley
1:45 Question #1 - What are your impressions of Duke thus far this year?
2:45 Question #2 - Compare this year's Duke team to previous season
4:35 Question #3 - What has changed about the D from last season
6:20 Question #4 - What do you make of the Semi transfer news?
8:55 Question #5 - Lets talk about how college sports is changing, paying players and the such, how do you think it will affect Duke going forward?
13:05 Question #6 - You covered Duke as a Chronicle reporter, what is the big difference in covering Duke as a student and as a professional?
15:40 Question #7 - How has covering Duke professionally changed you as a Duke fan?
17:20 Question #8 - Any amusing stories about covering Coach K?
20:30 Question #9 - Any idea when Coach K might retire?
22:35 Question #10 - Do you think Jeff Capel is about to become be a head coach again?
23:35 Question #11 - How excited are you to be spending Christmastime in El Paso for the Sun Bowl?
24:25 Sam says Thanks and Goodbye to Laura
25:50 Donald and Jason react to the Keeley interview
27:20 Reflections on the UConn game
33:20 Our favorite answer to the DBR Forum question - How do we fix the irrational hatred of Duke?
37:55 Jason and Donald give Christmas presents to the Duke Basketball team
41:00 Player of the Week awards
43:00 Goodbyes! Merry Christmas!

-Jason "thanks for listening and, as always, tell us what you thought!" Evans

Henderson
12-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Another good podcast. Keep it flowing.

devildeac
12-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Haven't listened yet but did y'all get her and Dan Kane to sign up as regular posters?;)

DukeDevil
12-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Excited to listen! Much thanks to everyone involved!

Dev11
12-22-2014, 01:47 PM
In the bright and distant future, I will not begin all of my interview questions with an affirmative "cool." Stay tuned for that.

lotusland
12-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Is there a link to the new podcast

-jk
12-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Is there a link to the new podcast

In the original post and here (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-12-20).

-jk

Billy Dat
12-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Great work, guys. I have not listened to #2 but will go back and do so, I jumped to #3 because I wanted to see what Laura Keeley had to say.

Interesting note related to Keeley...I was perturbed with her this summer when she was enthusiastically retweeting Adrian Wojnarowski's hack job on K's "leveraging Team USA to benefit himself". When she decided to again defend Woj on twitter when the New Republic took at shot at him recently, I responded to her tweet saying that Woj has been known to go after people, citing the various K pieces, and said it was weak. I didn't include Woj's @ sign in my tweet, yet today, when the Josh Smith story hit and I wanted to see his take, i found that he had blocked me on Twitter. I guess I got what I deserved.

Please post the thread about college basketball venues we want to visit, I think that will elicit some great responses.

The Gordog
12-23-2014, 11:30 AM
We know you have been dying for it... either that or you had not noticed it was a few hours late this week... but the third edition of the DBR podcast is live on Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-12-20) for your listening pleasure.

This week, in addition to the usual crew (me, BlazinDW, and Dev11) we have a special guest -- Laura Keeley, the N&O beat reporter for Duke. No one in the journalism world is closer to Duke right now than Laura. She lives and breathes Duke athletics every day! Some of her answers are really enlightening and revealing.

If you want to skip around a bit, here is a log of the contents of the Podcast:

0:00 Welcome from Jason Evans and Donald Wine
0:50 Sam Klein interviews N&O Duke beat reporter Laura Keeley
1:45 Question #1 - What are your impressions of Duke thus far this year?
2:45 Question #2 - Compare this year's Duke team to previous season
4:35 Question #3 - What has changed about the D from last season
6:20 Question #4 - What do you make of the Semi transfer news?
8:55 Question #5 - Lets talk about how college sports is changing, paying players and the such, how do you think it will affect Duke going forward?
13:05 Question #6 - You covered Duke as a Chronicle reporter, what is the big difference in covering Duke as a student and as a professional?
15:40 Question #7 - How has covering Duke professionally changed you as a Duke fan?
17:20 Question #8 - Any amusing stories about covering Coach K?
20:30 Question #9 - Any idea when Coach K might retire?
22:35 Question #10 - Do you think Jeff Capel is about to become be a head coach again?
23:35 Question #11 - How excited are you to be spending Christmastime in El Paso for the Sun Bowl?
24:25 Sam says Thanks and Goodbye to Laura
25:50 Donald and Jason react to the Keeley interview
27:20 Reflections on the UConn game
33:20 Our favorite answer to the DBR Forum question - How do we fix the irrational hatred of Duke?
37:55 Jason and Donald give Christmas presents to the Duke Basketball team
41:00 Player of the Week awards
43:00 Goodbyes! Merry Christmas!

-Jason "thanks for listening and, as always, tell us what you thought!" Evans

What a great podcast, top to bottom.

Just one comment: WRT the question of (paraphrasing) 'Why should Alabama have the same rules as Wake Forest?' I would say because both institutions pay no taxes on their income, styling themselves as serving a mission that benefits the general welfare. Maximizing football profits at all costs is not consistant with that mission. The more any school starts acting like an entertainment corporation in their emphasis of sports over education for any of their students, I have a hard time with that.

grad_devil
12-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Loved it!

Also had to chuckle out loud at the mention of Marv Levy working at ESPN and interviewing Jahlil.

Ummm...I believe you meant Steve Levy.

Thanks for the podcast - some really great information!

DukeDevil
12-23-2014, 04:43 PM
In the bright and distant future, I will not begin all of my interview questions with an affirmative "cool." Stay tuned for that.

I only noticed it because you mentioned it in this post ahead of time.

blazindw
12-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Loved it!

Also had to chuckle out loud at the mention of Marv Levy working at ESPN and interviewing Jahlil.

Ummm...I believe you meant Steve Levy.

Thanks for the podcast - some really great information!

LOL, as soon as I got done with it, I realized my mistake. Yes, it was Steve Levy, not Marv "from DOOOOOOWWWNNNTOOOOOOWNNN" Levy. Nice catch!

grad_devil
12-23-2014, 10:19 PM
LOL, as soon as I got done with it, I realized my mistake. Yes, it was Steve Levy, not Marv "from DOOOOOOWWWNNNTOOOOOOWNNN" Levy. Nice catch!

Ha ha ha...I think that's Marv Albert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Albert). You're crackin' me up!

Marv Levy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Levy) was the coach of the Buffalo Bills during their 4-straight super bowl losses.

blazindw
12-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Ha ha ha...I think that's Marv Albert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Albert). You're crackin' me up!

Marv Levy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Levy) was the coach of the Buffalo Bills during their 4-straight super bowl losses.

I need more sleep, LOLOL.

luburch
12-24-2014, 12:06 PM
My favorite part was Laura's dig at Bleacher Report. Glad she shares my sentiment in that regard.

dolver
12-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Guys - love the podcast, but often forget to visit the forums in order to listen to it or miss it on the main site. PLEASE get into iTunes and stitcher so I can subscribe and have it on my phone!

Dev11
12-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Guys - love the podcast, but often forget to visit the forums in order to listen to it or miss it on the main site. PLEASE get into iTunes and stitcher so I can subscribe and have it on my phone!

Thank you for listening. As we've mentioned, the process for getting it to those media has been challenging, so if anybody has experience using those platforms and would like to help us out, please send me a message. I can give you all the details of what we've done so far. We appreciate the feedback.