PDA

View Full Version : How many on here are primarly fans of Duke Women's Basketball?

AIM4excellence
12-20-2014, 05:39 PM
I am a fan of women's basketball, first and foremost, which means the team I follow most closely and root most passionately for is the Duke Women's Basketball Team. I think I am very much a minority on this board. Please post here the team that's #1 for you. I could also do this by post count - as in what percentage of your posts are related to DWB vs other Duke sports, but I thought it's be more fun to hear it from you.

uh_no
12-20-2014, 05:50 PM
I am a fan of women's basketball, first and foremost, which means the team I follow most closely and root most passionately for is the Duke Women's Basketball Team. I think I am very much a minority on this board. Please post here the team that's #1 for you. I could also do this by post count - as in what percentage of your posts are related to DWB vs other Duke sports, but I thought it's be more fun to hear it from you.

shoulda made a poll to go with the post!

awhom111
12-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Interesting question. Here is my approximate ranking of Duke programs based on my emotional investment:

Women's Basketball
Volleyball
Men's Lacrosse
Women's Soccer
Women's Lacrosse
Football
Men's Soccer
Women's Tennis
Field Hockey
Men's Basketball
Men's Tennis
Women's Golf
Baseball
Wrestling
Women's Cross Country
Men's Golf
Women's Track and Field
Men's Track and Field
Men's Cross Country
Women's Swimming and Diving
Men's Swimming and Diving
Rowing
Women's Fencing
Men's Fencing

DevilFalcon
12-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Basketball, football, lacrosse, then soccer. All men's. I try to watch the women play basketball if it's a big game but can only do so for a short time. It's a different game, and in my person opinion not as entertaining.

MartyClark
12-20-2014, 08:56 PM

No interest in women's basketball. I briefly had a minimal interest when Abbie Waner played because she was a Colorado kid and I had met her.

Duvall
12-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Oh, this is always fun. Glad someone prompted this always enlightening discussion.

AIM4excellence
12-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Interesting question. Here is my approximate ranking of Duke programs based on my emotional investment:

Women's Basketball
Volleyball
Men's Lacrosse
Women's Soccer
Women's Lacrosse
Football
Men's Soccer
Women's Tennis
Field Hockey
Men's Basketball
Men's Tennis
Women's Golf
Baseball
Wrestling
Women's Cross Country
Men's Golf
Women's Track and Field
Men's Track and Field
Men's Cross Country
Women's Swimming and Diving
Men's Swimming and Diving
Rowing
Women's Fencing
Men's Fencing

This helps explain why I like you so much. I hope we get more response.

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2014, 09:45 PM
My ordered list...
Football/Men's Basketball. Virtual tie. Has nothing to do with the resurgence of the football program, I've always been a fan. Will miss a basketball game without question for a football game during the occasional overlap.
Women's Basketball. I enjoy following the team closely and watch every game I can on tv or through goduke.com. One of my prized Duke possessions is a Duke basketball signed by the 2012 team.

Second tier attention span
LAX
Soccer (both teams)
Volleyball
Baseball

The other ones I don't follow at all.

jv001
12-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Men's Basketball
Football
Men's Golf
Women's Golf
Women's Basketball
Baseball

It's close for first with BB slightly ahead of Football. GoDuke!

Bluedog
12-20-2014, 11:53 PM
If you want a general sense of the popularity of sports on this board, run some numbers on how many threads are dedicated to a particular sport and how many responses are in those threads. I'd imagine it would be something like Men's basketball.... huge gap... Football..... huge gap.... women's basketball /men's lacrosse... men's soccer/baseball... Any other team with a chance to win an NCAA championship (or individual)... All others. Not really sure the intent of this knowledge though. I don't think it would be surprising that men's basketball would be by far the most popular sport to follow on a site called "Duke basketball report." I'm sure most support and would cheer for all Duke sports, though. If you're looking to identify people who want to talk women's hoops more, might check out other sites like dwhoops.com, but not sure if they have a message board. (But have a lot of linked stories and news).

DU82
12-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Why do I have to choose? Each of the three Duke teams (FB, MBB, WBB) that i follow closely (have season tickets) has their pluses. It'll be like asking a parent which child they love the most.

DukeDevil
12-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Why do I have to choose? Each of the three Duke teams (FB, MBB, WBB) that i follow closely (have season tickets) has their pluses. It'll be like asking a parent which child they love the most.

The third child, obviously.

attended some games as an undergrad while we were tenting, but I'd be lying if I said I followed it much since beyond the scores. I barely have enough time for the sports I do watch (Duke men's BB and Football, and the NFL/Raven specifically).

wandalee
12-21-2014, 10:18 AM

I'm with DU82. I have season tickets to Fball, WBB, and MBB. I love all 3 but for different reasons.

Men's lacrosse and women's golf are next on my list.

Reilly
12-21-2014, 10:27 AM
I quit following the women's game in 1961, when snatching the ball was once again permitted:

http://womenshoopsblog.wordpress.com/womens-basketball-timeline-since-1891/

stillcrazie
12-21-2014, 10:59 AM
I love the women's bball program, but I have to say that I enjoy the men's game more. As a woman, it pains me a little to say that. I go to more women's games and love and support the team, but the speed and power of the men's game is exciting on a different level.

luvdahops
12-21-2014, 09:27 PM
3 distinct tiers for me:

1 - watch as much as I can
Men's Basketball
Football
Duke alums playing professionally in those 2 sports

2 - follow regularly, watch on occasion
Men's Soccer
Women's Soccer
Men's Lacrosse
Women's Basketball

3 - follow periodically
Baseball
Men's Tennis
Women's Tennis

OldPhiKap
12-21-2014, 10:46 PM
I tend to watch women's soccer more than women's basketball. Not really sure why. I actually enjoy men's and women's soccer about evenly -- college or national competitions.

I appreciate that women's basketball has some incredible athletes, the game just doesn't grab me when I watch it. In 1986, Chris Moreland was named Duke athlete of the year in the Chanticleer (not Johnny Dawkins) IIRC. Perhaps deservedly so. But having watched a bunch of men's and women's games that year, there is a huge gulf in excitement. For me, at least.

But different strokes for different folks. Every Duke team deserves support. Find what you like, and embrace it with passion. Go Duke!

Mike Corey
12-22-2014, 09:09 AM
My pecking order, if I had to choose one:

(1) Men's basketball
(2) Women's basketball
(3) Men's and women's soccer, field hockey, football
(4) Everything else

I began to really follow the women's basketball program when Georgia Schweitzer matriculated in 1997; she was from Columbus, as well, and it was particularly easy to get emotionally involved in watching her and her teammates bring the program to life. (Schweitzer is now chief resident (http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/05/17/doctor-draws-from-lessons-on-court.html)for surgical oncology at Duke. Just awesome.)

When I enrolled at Duke, a few months after Schweitzer had graduated, I was plopped in one of two dorms that housed a lot of the fall athletes (the dorm was air conditioned, which at the time was a rarity). So just by happenstance and their misfortune, I got to know a number of the fall athletes, and inevitably developed a particular affinity for the teams on which they played. That I became a sportswriter assigned to their games was a fun coincidence. Needless to say, it was easy to admire how hard they were working without all the glory and without all the anxiety of the better-known teams on campus.

Kfanarmy
12-22-2014, 09:29 AM
(1) Men's BB
(2) Women's BB (this has waned considerably over the past few years with the disappearance of an organized offense)
(3) Football