PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke v Oklahoma

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Just because people are still posting in the SC thread 10 days after that game has played and nobody has started a thread for the game the women are playing tonight. (And by the way, winning soundly.)

-jk
12-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Actually following and supporting the women's team is so much better than just talking about 'em...

On behalf of DBR, thanks!

-jk

Karl Beem
12-17-2014, 08:40 PM
If Jahzilla and Lizzilla were to marry, what would be their kids' size?

burnspbesq
12-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Final score is 92-72. EWill with 26 and 20, double-double for Greenwell, 17 and 8 for Stevens. Calhoun and Belton also put up double figures. Duke shot 49 percent from the floor, 77 percent from the line, and made more than twice as many FTs as Oklahoma attempted.

Oklahoma figured out early that there was nothing to be had inside, and resorted to jacking up threes at every opportunity. They got enough good looks out of crisp ball movement against the zone to shoot 13-34 from three (yes, they took more threes than twos).

Duke was +35 on the glass, including more offensive rebounds than Oklahoma's total rebounds.

Oklahoma forced 15 first-half turnovers by switching defenses and trapping aggressively on the wing. Duke figured it out at the half, and had only seven in the second half.

Belton went down with an apparent knee injury with 14 seconds to go, and had to be helped off the floor. Fingers crossed, as she's already had one ACL tear.

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2014, 08:46 PM
92-72 victory for the women. 26 points, 3 blocks and TWENTY boards for EWill. Boom!!

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2014, 08:57 PM
The 20 boards was a career high for Elizabeth.
On a side note, #7 Stanford lost to Chattanooga*. I wonder how long their thread will be.

*Also beat then #4 Tennessee...but still unranked. (Til Tuesday)

burnspbesq
12-17-2014, 08:59 PM
The 20 boards was a career high for Elizabeth.
On a side note, #7 Stanford lost to Chattanooga. I wonder how long their thread will be.

Hopefully their fans aren't aiming to be as we are.

Duvall
12-17-2014, 09:03 PM
On a side note, #7 Stanford lost to Chattanooga. I wonder how long their thread will be.

I imagine having a Hall of Fame coach is a decent security blanket for them.

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2014, 09:22 PM
It looks like everyone got in tonight. Belton led scorers off the bench. As Burns noted, she left due to injury, so let's hope she's ok. Jenna took a shot. (But missed.)

jimsumner
12-17-2014, 10:38 PM
It looks like everyone got in tonight. Belton led scorers off the bench. As Burns noted, she left due to injury, so let's hope she's ok. Jenna took a shot. (But missed.)

MRI on Belton tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing worse than a sprain. But she was in a lot of pain. A lot.

Chidom and Cooper did not play in the first half. A discipline issue.

Williams said that McCallie did challenge her to match Okafor's 20 rebounds. She had 14 at the half. She became the third Duke woman to have a 20/20. Barb Kraus and Chris Moreland were the first two.

uh_no
12-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Williams said that McCallie did challenge her to match Okafor's 20 rebounds. She had 14 at the half. She became the third Duke woman to have a 20/20. Barb Kraus and Chris Moreland were the first two.

good on her for stepping up to the challenge. Oklahoma certainly isn't a bad program, despite not being as good as they were a few years ago, but 20/20 is certainly something to be proud of especially against such a team.

Mike Corey
12-17-2014, 11:27 PM
I imagine having a Hall of Fame coach is a decent security blanket for them.

Chattanooga has a Hall of Fame coach, as well, in Jim Foster (he led Ohio State, Vanderbilt, and St. Joe's to a combined 27 NCAA tourneys).

Foster's team went 29-4 a year ago. They have some talent, as well.

~

Helluva game tonight by Williams. Great win for Duke.

Kedsy
12-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Azura Stevens is my hero. I've said it before, but she's going to be a *star*.

I like that Elizabeth looked at Jahlil's 25 and 20 and went out and did one better. She had 14 rebounds at halftime -- wow!

I also like that on what was really an off-night for Becca, she still ended up with a double-double.

burnspbesq
12-18-2014, 01:42 AM

I like that Elizabeth looked at Jahlil's 25 and 20 and went out and did one better. She had 14 rebounds at halftime -- wow!

I also like that on what was really an off-night for Becca, she still ended up with a double-double.

Lost in the glare of the 26-and-20 night: EWill, a career 62 percent FT shooter who was 50 percent this season prior to tonight, went six for seven. Looks like she's been watching tape of MP2: it's pretty flat, but the hitch at the top appears to be gone, at least for tonight.

DU82
12-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Lost in the glare of the 26-and-20 night: EWill, a career 62 percent FT shooter who was 50 percent this season prior to tonight, went six for seven. Looks like she's been watching tape of MP2: it's pretty flat, but the hitch at the top appears to be gone, at least for tonight.

I also liked the half time adjustments by Coach P. The first half was sloppy, with I think 15 turnovers. Late in the second half, I looked and saw we had 15, which meant only 3 TOs at that point. I think we had a couple more late when all subs were in. That, and we forced a lot more mistakes. I saw more plays on offense, especially compared to the game against USC.

IIRC, Oklahoma was in Cameron for an NCAA game recently, since I remember seeing their coach. They shot a lot of threes then as well as last night (similar to OSU, who lost to DePaul last year in the first round). In he first half, there were a lot of open shots on the third pass, much like Our game against DePaul last year. They only shot 35% in the half. They shot better in the second half, but taking away the easy shot, and forcing more TOs was big.

We still don't have a good point guard, but KJ and Mercedes do what they can, and they do play good D and overall give it their all. It appeared that there was an effort to relieve Becca of some PG responsibilities when both were out, with Calhoun bringing the ball up court more often.

Thanks, Jim S, we wondered why Kendal and Oderah didn't play in the first half. Of course, the good feeling about the second half play went silent with 14 seconds left when Lynee went down with what appeared to be a bad knee injury. Hope for the best for her.

aswewere
12-18-2014, 07:08 AM

From DWHOOPS on Azur'a

Another fine game from one of Duke's best freshmen ever. Her ability to score all over the floor and unassisted is a game-changer for Duke, who desperately needed another consistent scorer. She played both power forward and two-guard in this game, getting stickbacks and hitting long jumpers. She was also relocating the ball nicely, as she had assists to Riggs and Calhoun. Her toughness under the basket is remarkable when one considers how slender she is, but physical play doesn't seem to bother her one bit.

jimsumner
12-18-2014, 12:40 PM
I also liked the half time adjustments by Coach P. The first half was sloppy, with I think 15 turnovers. Late in the second half, I looked and saw we had 15, which meant only 3 TOs at that point. I think we had a couple more late when all subs were in. That, and we forced a lot more mistakes. I saw more plays on offense, especially compared to the game against USC.

IIRC, Oklahoma was in Cameron for an NCAA game recently, since I remember seeing their coach. They shot a lot of threes then as well as last night (similar to OSU, who lost to DePaul last year in the first round). In he first half, there were a lot of open shots on the third pass, much like Our game against DePaul last year. They only shot 35% in the half. They shot better in the second half, but taking away the easy shot, and forcing more TOs was big.

We still don't have a good point guard, but KJ and Mercedes do what they can, and they do play good D and overall give it their all. It appeared that there was an effort to relieve Becca of some PG responsibilities when both were out, with Calhoun bringing the ball up court more often.

Thanks, Jim S, we wondered why Kendal and Oderah didn't play in the first half. Of course, the good feeling about the second half play went silent with 14 seconds left when Lynee went down with what appeared to be a bad knee injury. Hope for the best for her.

A lot of those first-half turnovers happened after Ka'lia Johnson sat down with two fouls. McCallie said Duke played too fast in the first half and its hard to argue with that. Greenwell and Calhoun-both freshmen-tried to make plays that just weren't there and played out of control. The second-half adjustment simply was to get them to calm down and take their time.

But Johnson is not going to be on the court for 40 minutes. Duke needs to figure out how to play when she's sitting.

And note that Williams not only made her freebies but she also knocked down a 17-footer and had three assists, playing a lot of high post with Belton on the blocks. Hopefully, we can see that combo a lot more this season.